Teacher who allegedly abused student gets… transferred?

posted at 4:01 pm on September 1, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

The fine state of public education and the iron fortress of the teachers unions gets yet another black eye this week after video emerged of a shocking incident which took place in the classroom earlier this year. The action allegedly took place back in February in Gig Harbor, Florida Washington, but the public didn’t become aware of it until a video shot on cell phone by another student began making the rounds and the child’s family is crying foul.

The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department said Wednesday it is investigating a complaint of an alleged bullying incident, caught on video, involving a student at Kopachuk Middle School in Gig Harbor in February.

The department said it was contacted July 30 by a lawyer representing the parents of the student who was concerned that her clients’ 13-year-old son had been the victim of a bullying incident and that “the incident appeared to be abuse.”

“It was a teacher-led bullying incident of epic proportions,” said lawyer Joan Mell, representing the parents of the alleged victim.

She says teacher John Rosi led the rest of the class to stack chairs on the boy, place a pillow over his face and put socks in his mouth.

“He was assaulted several times. He was assaulted by the teacher, the teacher poked him in the belly, the teacher turned around and put his bottom in his face and said, ‘I feel gassy,’ ” she alleged.

We technically still have to say, “alleged” but as the following video report from the local news shows, the event was caught on camera.

So what happened to the teacher in the wake of the incident? The acting superintendent took what he described in the interview as “quick and decisive action.”

However, the acting superintendent of the school district, Chuck Cuzzetto, said, “I was horrified by what I saw” on the video. After an investigation, he said he decided to suspend the teacher and then move Rosi to another school.

Yes, he was so “horrified” by this that he sent the teacher to work with a whole new class of students. In a longer interview I saw on CNN Headline News (which I can’t find a clip for yet) they went into more detail. He was initially suspended with pay and assigned to “substitute teacher status” while they looked into it. After that, it seems to have been determined that this was a sufficient slap on the wrist and he was assigned to the new school. A follow-up report indicates that he may finally have been shifted to suspension without pay and released from the new school as well, (unconfirmed) but clearly the system’s initial response never included the idea of taking him off the public payroll.

If you think the iron grip of the teachers unions has been loosened or that public scrutiny and shame have forced them to improve their own practices, I have a used truck I’d like to sell you. Only $40,000 and it’s barely got 100K miles on it!

Comments

Had that been my kid the only place the teacher would be transferred to is the ICU.

Bishop on September 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM

How can that teacher not be fired?

mrscullen on September 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM

At the 0:35 mark, the kid is laying down by himself and outstretching his arms.

I would like to know more before my fake outrage goes into overdrive.

I’m not interested in pushing the union’s ‘bullying’ campaign too far.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

But, but, charter schools…blah, blah, Libtard educator.

hillsoftx on September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

We, The People.

KMC1 on September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Bishop on September 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Indeed. Some things are worth spending a few nights in jail over and this is one.

BruthaMan on September 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Truly Sickening. I am so thankful for my amazing in-laws, who stepped up and offered (begged) to let them help pay for our boys’ private school. The teacher unions will not get anywhere near my kids.

Nikkia2112 on September 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

This truly is despicable. If there was sufficient bad evidence to prove that the teacher and other students WERE bullying the kid…and the teacher was leading and egging everyone on…he should be in JAIL. To give him just THAT kind of “punishment” is disgusting, and that superintendent should also lose HIS job for such a display of cowardice.

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Nikkia2112 on September 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

We pay for our grandkids to go to a private Christian academy. I’m thankful God has blessed us, that we can afford it. It’s expensive, but they are worth it.

BruthaMan on September 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

No thought of having the teacher, um, arrested?

rbj on September 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

At the 0:35 mark, the kid is laying down by himself and outstretching his arms.

I would like to know more before my fake outrage goes into overdrive.

I’m not interested in pushing the union’s ‘bullying’ campaign too far.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

This is why I qualified my response with “if”. Or maybe it started out as horse playing but moved onto full scale bullying. We obviously haven’t seen the whole video clip that was taken of this incident. I want to see the whole thing.

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Exactly. I’m reserving judgement until the abuse is more than alleged.

Most people have NO idea how easy it is for a student to cry ‘abuse’ and how many teachers live in utter dread of it. All it can take is one false accusation from one Section 8 student as revenge for a bad grade to destroy your career.

MelonCollie on September 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Reading thru this article I was shocked to find out their was a Gig Harbor, FLORIDA. Especially one that was in the same county as the one in Washington (Pierce County), then I thought it was crazy that a middle school both in Washington and Florida had the same name, but the final straw was the screen shot..I knew there was no way that two different places in the U.S. would have those many things in common.

I say all that to say I think you meant GIG HARBOR, WA and not GIG HARBOR, FL

Politricks on September 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

it just proves the leftist oriented war on bullying is purely projection. only someone developmentally stuck at 10 years old would indulge in this sort of behavior- and no one so ethically retarded should ever be put in charge of defenseless animals at the pound let alone children.

it’s the ultimate objective of the nanny state- wherein you no longer have control over your own child . you are no longer empowered to even protect your child from harm. the state and employees of the state decide what is and what is not the bullying, molesting of your child . they grant themselves full immunity from any responsibility and from ever being fired.

one wonders if a teacher butchers a child on film in a classroom before witnesses( uploaded to youtube of course) if they’d merely be put of leave or temporarily suspended instead of immediately fired.

mittens on September 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Gig Harbor is in Washington state, not Florida :>)

MikeyInHouston on September 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Where is the district attorney in this? And what the freak kind of attorney is that? This is a full blown assault and battery, and even if the DA doesn’t want to press charges, this is a HUGE civil suit. Quite frankly, I’m surprised the parents haven’t physically harmed the teacher, they must have extraordinary superhuman self-control, and I commend them for that.

JustTruth101 on September 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM

BruthaMan on September 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Awesome, BruthaMan! That is exactly what my in-laws say…that there is nothing they’d rather spend their money on. My husband and I are SO grateful to them for that. It’s such a comfort knowing that our boys are getting a Christ centered education.

Nikkia2112 on September 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Is there any word on what – if anything – the sheriff’s office has turned up in their investigation? If anything. Or is it still ongoing?
I’m just assuming that the parents did file charges against the teacher.

Solaratov on September 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I’m going to play devils advocate and say I need to hear the teachers side or from other classmates. There’s points in the video where the kid looks to be a willing participant. What I see there does look like horseplay, maybe the teacher shouldn’t have been allowing it to go on in the class room but it doesn’t look like anyone was acting with an intent to injure.

Side Note: I swear it must suck to be a kid these days, I’m not even 30 yet but I remember being told to “get up and walk it off” after falling down and skinning my knee. Being told “Not to start fights,but finish them” when dealing with bullys, being forced to go outside and play until the street lights came on and (gasp!) I didn’t even have a cell phone I just had to answer my mother when she came outside and yelled for me to get in the house.

Kids these days are so soft. “He was poked in the belly, he was assaulted!” Smh. Give me a break.

Politricks on September 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM

It was very inappropriate..(umm what? how about totally unacceptable)Then he stated..if it happened before..he would have been fired..if it happened again he would be fired again and an unfortunate incident?

WTF..WTF..

I’m with Bishop here..but I’d also take a swing at this Bi$ch.

bazil9 on September 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

One more thing. I have more beef with the Police unions then the teachers.

There’s been plenty of police abuse caught on video in Seattle and the cop never gets fired, only suspended.

Politricks on September 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I can’t wait to endure the speeches on the trials and the tribulations of educators at the Democrats’ Hate Fest 2012 in Charlotte.

:-(

Punchenko on September 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Exactly. I’m reserving judgement until the abuse is more than alleged.

MelonCollie on September 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Exactly. Kids these days don’t think twice about ruining someones life over a detention.

mythicknight on September 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

MelonCollie on September 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Also not sure why you specified Section 8, but meh.

mythicknight on September 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

P.S. If this is fake, as several commenters above speculate it could possibly be, the teacher still committed assault and battery by placing the chairs on the child and putting socks in his mouth. Even if the kid literally begged for it and signed a written acknowledgement of informed consent, an adult is held to a reasonable standard such that the child cannot consent to potentially physically and mentally harmful acts without the permission of a parent or guardian (who also has a duty to protect the phsycial and mental health of the child and might not be able to give consent without liability.) The teacher has a duty which he breached. (The kids of course are held to a different standard, IF the assailee did in fact consent to the acts then the other kids would not be criminally or civilly liable.)

JustTruth101 on September 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Gig Harbor is in Washington state, not Florida :>)

MikeyInHouston on September 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Good..we have enough freak news for the rest of the country most days. ;) whew.

bazil9 on September 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Reminds me of the Catholic Church and pedophile priest.

CTSherman on September 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Exactly. I’m reserving judgement until the abuse is more than alleged.

MelonCollie on September 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM
——————-

What does a kid’s family being on “section 8″ have to do with anything? Only they would make a false claim or…..

I’m not quite sure of what you’re getting at.

Politricks on September 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I think the teacher should be fired, but i’m more concerned about the kid wanting to commit suicide. We throw that word around so easily we make it easy for kids to give up and do it.

tomas on September 1, 2012 at 4:38 PM

You got it from a Florida news item, but I cringe to say it’s actually Gig Harbor, Washington. Left coast.

starboardhelm on September 1, 2012 at 4:38 PM

How can that teacher not be fired?

mrscullen on September 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM

There was a teacher in the High School I taught at that threw a desk at a student. She was transferred to a second district high school. The excuse for not firing her was that she was suffering from the stress of a death in the family. I don’t doubt the death or the stress but that is not an excuse to assault a student.

chemman on September 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

At the 0:35 mark, the kid is laying down by himself and outstretching his arms.

I would like to know more before my fake outrage goes into overdrive.

I’m not interested in pushing the union’s ‘bullying’ campaign too far.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

“But the Jews just walked out of the train cars and into the ovens. Kinda like they were ok with it”

So, if an entire class including the teacher is bullying you, you need to fight to the bitter end…..otherwise you can’t complain later?

But, the outrage here is not the bullying which to my mind seems pretty mild (for 13 yr old boys). An adult teacher? That takes it up a notch….or two. The outrage is the action by the school, who’s position is “horrifying”. So horrifying we had to keep paying this guy and send him to another school.

Thats the outrage.

BobMbx on September 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I’m not quite sure of what you’re getting at.

Politricks on September 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Also not sure why you specified Section 8, but meh.

mythicknight on September 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Section 8 students tend to come from single-parent and/or otherwise broken households and live in places where disrespect for authority figures is the norm. Few if any adults have gone nose-to-nose (or hand-to-bottom, to quote my grandpa) with them until they have curbed their wills and behaved.

In other words, they are almost universally the least-motivated and worst-behaved, and the ones that do give a rip about education are handicapped.

MelonCollie on September 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

This doesn’t appear to be inappropriate.

It appears to be criminal.

jaime on September 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Kopachuck Middle School
10414 56th St NW Gig Harbor, WA 98335(253) 530-4100

ronsfi on September 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Can you say “School Choice?” Vouchers? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

College Prof on September 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

At the 0:35 mark, the kid is laying down by himself and outstretching his arms.

I would like to know more before my fake outrage goes into overdrive.

I’m not interested in pushing the union’s ‘bullying’ campaign too far.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Thats the outrage.

BobMbx on September 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Over the years, I’ve taught self defense and hand gun usage to a fair number of women who were victims of child sexual abuse. Another woman friend who was sexually abused as a child was a brown belt in karate. In the majority of the cases, the victim had difficulty “being heard” because the rapist said the victim “had gone along with it”.

So with video evidence of an assault, faraway – Your first response is to point out the child’s passive acceptance of the abuse.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

An isolated event over an 18 year career? Unlikely.

But even so, I have a sterling reputation at my work – if I treated an underlying like this it would be no protection – I would be fired immediately and then face criminal charges.

And that is what should have happened here.

If the local contract doesn’t allow for the school system to fire the teacher, they should assign him to cleaning the boy’s room until they can fire him.

18-1 on September 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM

CTSherman on September 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

And, as I recall, that didn’t work out well for anyone involved.

VastRightWingConspirator on September 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM

“Cry Sandusky and unleash the Dogs of Paterno”

The handling of this incidence is the same as Penn State.

J_Crater on September 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Exactly. I’m reserving judgement until the abuse is more than alleged.

MelonCollie on September 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

MelonCollie on September 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

The child is being tormented by multiple students and the TEACHER (the POS grinning on the video) and you are “reserving judgment until the abuse is more than alleged”.

Your rational is “Section 8 students tend to come from single-parent and/or otherwise broken households and live in places where disrespect for authority figures is the norm.”

Just who are you applying this forgiveness for the assualt rational to – the students doing the bullying? Or the teacher letting it happen?

What world do you live in where YOU espouse this attitude and NOT understand it makes YOU look bad in comparison to the students and the teacher?

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I do agree with those that say the teacher needs to held responsible for what happened. It should not have been allowed, and its the teacher’s responsibility to care for all their students. However, the allegations of “bullying” are what are being questioned. At parts in the video clip above it DOES look like the child on the bottom is going along with whatever they are doing. There doesn’t appear to be any kind of crying or trying to get away. BUT…it also sounds like if it started out as “horseplay” it went much too far, and this is what the teacher needs to be held accountable for: socks in the mouth and butt in the face are totally unacceptable behavior by ANY educator. It is utterly reprehensible irresponsibility towards the students placed in his charge. But it may not be “bullying” in the true sense? This is why I want to hear more about it before passing a snap judgement without knowing all the facts. Do you know who ALSO made a snap judgement? All those who voted for Obama in 2008 without knowing the facts of WHO he is and WHAT he believes. And those that are horrified now by what they voted for then know a snap to judgement is not a good thing.

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I agree the kid seems to be into it. no fighting back, no yelling. seems like good natured fun. This bullying outrage might be getting out of control. humans are mean… and part of school is to teach kids how to deal with a society you can’t control 100% of the time.

Kaptain Amerika on September 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Yeah, I’m so worried that my son isn’t being “socialized” since he’s homeschooled. /

AubieJon on September 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

If this is what it looks like, then the incident may not be so “isolated.”
A teacher this far off the rails is worth serious investigation.

Kenosha Kid on September 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

BruthaMan on September 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Until you have a violent crime on your record and are forced to surrender your firearms.

WeekendAtBernankes on September 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

The kid may have gone into it willingly, not knowing what he was letting himself in for. There’s no excuse for the teacher letting it go as far as it did, much less his actual participation. He needs to find some other career, not involving kids. That’s the very least of what I think he needs.

Eren on September 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

If this is what it looks like, then the incident may not be so “isolated.”
A teacher this far off the rails is worth serious investigation.

Kenosha Kid on September 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Or headed off the rails in the near future. There’s always that “First Time”. And we always seem to eager to wait for the 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th incident before we get “outraged”.

BobMbx on September 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Eren on September 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Hey, does “Professional Frat Boy” pay pretty well?

BobMbx on September 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

NEVER trust the MSM. Always look for the story behind the story. In this case, the outrage does NOT appear to be warranted.

In this video of the same incident, the kid is laughing and mock wrestling the teacher (who also btw doubles as the school’s wrestling coach).

This article has a letter from the teacher who says the kid on most days “ambushed” him as he walked through the gym and often jumped on the teacher’s back to try and tackle him as a joke, and it was the way the kid related to him and to his classmates.

In short, the teacher should have kept better control over his classroom, but I taking everything as a whole I do not think this is child abuse. I think the kid suffered more from his parents freaking out and suing the school than from the incident.

AngusMc on September 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM

As horrific as the video is … I am far more horrified by the ambivalence and ignorance being displayed by yourself and others.

Talk to a psycholigist or psychiatrist about whether “going along with” abuse makes the permanent effects on a CHILD any less scarring over the long term.

Show this video to a school principal at any top rated junior high or high school and see if they make a “snap judgment” that it “bullying in the true sense”.

Ask that same principal their school’s policy towards “horseplay” – especially towards “passive” participants.

Be forewarned. If you display the same attitudes you are displaying here, they will be looking side-eyed at you.

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

What’s your take on the fact that during the incident, the kid/victim walked over to the teacher while laughing loudly and tried to wrestle the teacher to the ground? Does that not indicate more than passive acceptance?

The teacher definitely needs to run a more disciplined classroom and deserved his suspension as punishment, but this does not appear to merit firing or criminal charges.

AngusMc on September 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM

AngusMc on September 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

NEVER trust the MSM.
and then you cite the HuffingtonPost.com?

Bravo for life’s little ironies!

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Meanwhile in Edmonton, a teacher gets fired for giving a 0 on an assignment to a student who didn’t even do it.

Wtf, humanity?

powerfactor on September 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM

NEVER trust the MSM. and then you cite the HuffingtonPost.com?

Bravo for life’s little ironies!

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Those news stories contain
a) additional video footage not show above
and
b) the teacher’s letter describing the incident and background to it.

But thanks for not paying attention.

AngusMc on September 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM

maybe the part where he “went along with it” was because he was threatened or something? who knows. it looks like abuse to me.

Kaptain Amerika on September 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

if it’s good natured fun, then why did the kid become suicidal afterward and moved to a private school?

Sachiko on September 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

How is it ambivalence? We’ve all said the teacher should be punished here…the question is how severely and what exactly the situation is. From just the short partial clips here, there doesn’t appear to be anything being forced. Yes, I think the teacher has let things go way overboard and should be punished for that. Possibly even to losing his job for things going much too far. But the truth is, we don’t know everything that is going on. As others have said, it even looks like the boy is participating in what’s going on in parts of the video clips. I’m all for punishment where punishment is due. But not if its not deserved. Don’t forget all who jumped to conclusions in the case of Treyvon Martin in Florida. What I believe to be an innocent man was immediately accused of racism and murder, and crucified by the media. But there was MUCH more to the story. I believe the same could be said here in this case. We just need to know more.

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM

…mmmmmm!…if the teachers last name was ‘Priest’ the outrage would be nonstop.

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM

AngusMc on September 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM

My take? Well, here in fly-over country, the teacher would be fired for completely losing control of his classroom.

He and the school system would LOSE the resulting lawsuit.

And our sheriff’s department would be actively investigating the teacher’s tendency to “roughhouse” with students of any gender and then defer to the County Attorney on what type of charges should be filed for LEADING an assault.

(Hint: You REALLY need to learn the legal definition of assault.)

Of course, the county Attorney’s Office might seem too “soft and fuzzy” for your standards because they have also successfully convicted women teachers who were having sex with THEIR students under the age of 18.

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Now that’s interesting – teacher’s unions handling rogue teachers the same way the Catholic Church handles rogue priests.

TeaPartyNation on September 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Given that your example principal is a product of “zero-tolerance, zero common sense” policy indoctrination that has led to such things as not keeping score, banning dodgeball and even playing tag; I’m not sure that having said principal look askance at me would lead me to conclude that my views were necessarily wrong, only that they did not fit into his neat little PC doctrinaire world.

AZfederalist on September 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Sachiko on September 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM

My guess? Because his parents are suing the school, got a popular teacher transferred, and are now trying to get the popular teacher brought up on criminal charges. That made the kid a huge target for harassment from other students who like & support the teacher. The parents probably did as much if not more to screw up their kid’s life as did the teacher.

AngusMc on September 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

AZfederalist on September 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I would guess that dodge ball and tag would both be considered criminal assault and anyone participating in them would be sent to prison or juvenile detention.

AngusMc on September 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM

To permit, let alone lead, horseplay targeting one child with what is shown on the video, is enough to fire. Good God. This is acceptable in what classrom, where? No teacher piles chairs on a student, puts a pillow over his face, socks in his mouth, or allows others to do that in a classroom setting, and deserves employment in the public school system.

And fwiw, the darker comments about prior rough housing with students either gender are dead on.
Fwiw, his face pings the gaydar hard.

SarahW on September 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Kaptain Amerika on September 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

No. The bullying nowadays is going over the line.

This kid pulls out his father’s pistol and guns down the teacher, and I’m on the jury, he walks.

Why?

This is not bullying. I should know since I was picked on sometimes when young, but it was nothing like what is on this video.

KirknBurker on September 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Fwiw, his face pings the gaydar hard.

SarahW on September 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

For what its worth, this last statement is sad and…really…bigoted to say. What is in question is not whether the teacher allowed things to go over the line. They obviously did. What is in question is was this actual bullying or not?

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

SarahW on September 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

SarahW,

Note that Highlar runs away from the pertinent question you raised.

And has such a poor value system he endlessly equivocates with “was this actual bullying or not?”

Let’s hope he does not have responsibility for any child, anywhere, anytime.

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

The simplest questions are, if the school system decided that the teacher needed ANY punishment, how is he not under arrest for assault and abuse? How are there no criminal charges pending? And have the parents filed civil charges?

Freelancer on September 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

SarahW,

Note that Highlar runs away from the pertinent question you raised.

Let’s hope he does not have responsibility for any child, anywhere, anytime.

PolAgnostic on September 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Run away from the question? How did I do that? I said quite clearly that the teacher allowed this situation to get way out of control and should be punished for it. The honest truth is you or I or anyone on this board not DON’T know the truth of what is going on here. Even from the clip we see here, it looks like he is raising his arms up over his head, and the chairs are being rested over him to give him room under them. The rest (socks in mouth, etc.) yes, that is uncalled for and punishments delivered for the teacher for not stopping things. But the more I look at the video, the less it looks like “bullying” or “assault” and more like the kids and teacher maybe even giving some kind of lesson in class. But the fact is, I don’t know, and neither do you. And yet you are ready to go off the deep end without those facts. And if you’d read my previous posts, I already said the teacher should possibly even be fired for allowing his kids to get out of control like this. But, again, we don’t know all of the facts of this story yet.

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

How can that teacher not be fired?

mrscullen

Because here where I live, the teachers unions run the show at all levels in the state of Washington, at least west of the Cascade mountain range. Sigh.

ugottabekiddingme on September 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I would like to know more before my fake outrage goes into overdrive.
I’m not interested in pushing the union’s ‘bullying’ campaign too far.
faraway on September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

This moronic “teacher” is the union. Jerks like this one get shifted to take their incompetence to another gig or are sent to a “rubber room” where they relax and continue to rake in the pay & bennies. It’s next to impossible to get the bottom-feeders off the public teat.

John Stossel – “Stupid In America”

whatcat on September 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM

In Gig Harbor, WA (a sleepy little town on the other side of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge), a white teacher and white students haze a black student, putting socks in his mouth, and the teacher puts his bum over the kid’s face and says “I’m gassy.” This results in an explosion in the MSM against racism / bullying, etc. Every white teacher and administrator in the district is fired, and the governor of Washington resigns. Oh, wait – it was a white kid staring up at the teacher’s caboose ? NEVER MIND.

williampeck1958 on September 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Teacher who allegedly abused student gets… transferred?

This union label is less about education and more about protecting their own.

rukiddingme on September 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM

What is wrong with all these people stating that we don’t know what really happened?

Don’t let your lying eyes deceive you.

JustTruth101 on September 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Snapped.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Looks like we have a copycat Child Abuser in San Francisco….with a copycat Teachers Union shuffling the unindicted criminals from one school to the next. http://is.gd/rVmhDM

Afterseven on September 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Don’t let your lying eyes deceive you.

JustTruth101 on September 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Parents are not qualified to know what is best for their children since they will put the interests of their children ahead of what is best for the teacher.

/s

PolAgnostic on September 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

williampeck1958 on September 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

True that…

If this were my son… I’d be wanting some time with Mr. Gassy Bottom.

Let’s say the kid was a little nuisance and did some instigating… as alleged. At what point does that end up with the teacher putting his a** in the kid’s face? If it was your son people? Or let’s make it your daughter… Are you feeling it yet.
The teachers job is to teach. Parents are forced to trust this to be what happens in school; teaching. Not smell teacher’s butt moments, complete with shoes and socks off and markers engaged…
A high school shop teacher once challenged the class to convince me not to wear a certain pair of bell-bottoms to class in 1970. He said everyone would get an A for a test grade if the peace signs on my bells never entered his room again.

I got jumped by half the class… No crying ensued though. What did happen was the destruction of the $400 in electronic equipment that was knocked off of benches while I fought off half a dozen of my classmates.

Little pukes only succeeded in loosening one of the two patches. The teacher should’a been held accountable but I was not a rat about it. Had there been a video though I would have hoped he’d’a been fired. I didn’t want to be in that situation.
And what about the other kids here in this case… Mr. Teacher Man has just given them their first lesson in adult guided S&M.
Sick f*@%…

RalphyBoy on September 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Don’t let your lying eyes deceive you.

JustTruth101 on September 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM

The vids have been edited for maximum media outrage. I have seen vids of the incident where the “victim” is laughing loudly and tries to tackle the teacher. Looks like the kid was a willing participant, which essentially rules out child abuse.

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I don’t know of any case of child abuse where “But s/he was “willing” worked as a defense.

whatcat on September 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I’m not going to watch the clip since I get sickened and angry when I see or hear bullying, and my own district has a specific drive this year at investigating and stopping bullying of any sort, with mandatory reporting of any instances.

What I do want to mention, however, is that private institutions are not immune to bullying. Just because you pay thousands of dollars for tuition doesn’t mean that the child is safe from other students or teachers. My colleagues can recount numerous instances of abuse from the nuns and teachers in one of our local Christian schools, and many times bullies from other schools end up in private schools because those are the only places that will take them.

This is not to say that private schools are bad, but parents absolutely must not put their kid into any institution and then sit back, thinking that their child is safe and fine. Go to your open house night, meet your teachers, email them, be aware of any changes in your kid’s behavior and don’t let up if you have to face down a principal or teacher. You have way more power than you realize, and the bad schools will do their best to make you feel powerless.

And if the school doesn’t respond, and the school board won’t respond? Then email a newspaper or reporter. They *love* doing pieces on schools.

kc-anathema on September 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM

*snip*

kc-anathema on September 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM

In the place I call my hometown, there was a lot of outcry about 10 years ago when a local Catholic priest was charged with physical child abuse.

It wasn’t a secret when I lived there and was going to public school that he was a vicious, sadistic b@$terd at the Catholic school.

When he was arrested, a small, vocal minority came to his defense and decried his persecution by “weak-knee’d parents and their troublemaking children” even after the jury found him guilty and he was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

And then someone leaked the photos of the injuries to the children to some folks who had access to color copiers.

Some of the vocal minority were reported to have thrown up when confronted with the evidence.

PolAgnostic on September 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Not sure about all the litigation, but the teachers behavior and what he allows to go on during a math class is just bizarre.

hawkdriver on September 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM

hawkdriver on September 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Maybe a consequence of making the wrestling coach also teach this class (essentially a “homeroom” class) — a wrestling coach will probably look differently at rough behavior than a regular teacher.

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

People asked why the kid was threatening to kill himself if the incident was no big deal. This local account gives a lot more info. The kid was not upset at all by the incident until his parents and the principle made it known that the kid was the reason the teacher was removed. At that point, the other kids in the class all started to be nasty to the kid.

Sounds like the his parents and the school officials made this kid’s life more of a living hell than the incident did. The kid kept telling his parents that it was all in fun and that he initiated the whole thing and laughed through it, but no, his mom in particular was on the war path. The teacher needs to learn how to run a classroom properly, but I don’t think there is any child abuse here.

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I think there’s a certain creepiness factor inherent about an adult man who’s into wrestling with little boys and gagging them with socks.

whatcat on September 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

It’s not a question of Does he look at this differently, it is Should he look at it differently.

The Short answer is NO!

The Long answer is NO!

And the only sensible answer is NO!

PS – This man is a Teacher FIRST and a Wrestling Coach Second – in other words they made the Teacher a Wrestling Coach, not the other way around.

jaydee_007 on September 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM

jaydee_007 on September 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM

In my experience, it typically is the other way around. Coaches are hired to coach and then the school invents other things for them to do. Even in this case the guy says he’s been a wrestling coach for 30 years and a teacher for 18.

Is the conduct in that class unacceptable? Absolutely. A classroom should never get to that point. No one is arguing that. The debate started by Jazz and picked up by other posters is whether the guy is guilty of “child abuse” that can carry jail time.

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Is the conduct in that class unacceptable? Absolutely.
A classroom should never get to that point. No one is arguing that.

That’s the insane part; instead of telling the children to sit down and work on their assignment, the guy joined in.

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM

At the very best, you can say he’s an incompetent sub-moron who’s a walking civil suit waiting to happen. Whether he will be charged and prosecuted for his actions is up to the authorities to decide.

whatcat on September 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

.and fire the principle. No excuses. A school should be a safe place.

In fact the liberal idiocy even teaches against this.

His self esteem can be destroyed for life.

seven on September 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM

PolAgnostic on September 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM

How appropriate; the little Judases were literally incapable of confronting the truth without becoming ill. That could be a story right out of the Bible.

MelonCollie on September 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Taxpayers and parents should demand the teacher be fired WITH cause. Ridiculous the teacher’s union is protecting the teacher. Front and center why charter schools are growing leaps and bounds in this country.

Amazingoly on September 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

So we have “zero tolerance” for mistakes by students but teachers are free to reign terror down on their charges.

That this man will continue to teach is beyond outrageous.

creeper on September 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

AngusMc on September 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM

The teacher should NEVER teach again based on what he allowed in his classroom. Criminal charges may be in order too… The kids lack of feeling negatively about the incident(s) does not make this okay.

That the kid is having repercussions put upon him by others is a separate issue. In harassment training classes that I’ve taken those repercussions would be treated as retaliatory harassment and subject to penalties.

None of this is the boys fault. The adult in this situation allowed, participated in, and encouraged others to tread into this dangerous situation… Is this guy that unhinged from reality that he thought this was okay?

RalphyBoy on September 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM