RNC memories and thanks

posted at 11:31 am on September 1, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

I’m still not even close to being fully recovered from the last five days in Tampa. (As my fabulous misspelling of “towel” in the title of my first post this morning will attest.) But before we slide back fully into the normal coverage routine here at Hot Air, I wanted to take a moment to recognize some of the people and organizations who rolled out the welcome mat for us and made it such a memorable convention.

First, I’d like to thank the folks at the RNC. And even more importantly – as I’m sure they themselves would agree – the army of volunteers who turned out every day in the blazing sun, driving rain and oppressive humidity to do the myriad thankless tasks required to keep the wheels turning on an event of this magnitude.

Next, I’d like to thank the Romney / Ryan team, and in particular the folks they assigned to do outreach to the “special press” (read: bloggers and social media folks) during the convention. They made sure that people outside of the traditional, mainstream media had a way to get in. And once inside, they worked with us to ensure that we not only had internet access, but lined up interviews and visits from high level surrogates, members of Congress and more. There had been some grumbling early in the year about the campaign’s availability but they really got on board with us.

Of course I have to thank our team from Townhall and Hot Air for an amazing experience, particularly our General Manager, Jonathan Garthwaite. In addition to having to wrangle up last minute plane tickets and hotel rooms, he spent his time ferrying people around for interviews and story research, locating cameras, memory cards and sundry items needed to keep the team moving. (We won’t mention his advice for his secret method of getting a good night’s sleep on the road.) Also, working with MaryKatharine Ham, Erika Johnsen, Guy Benson, Elisabeth Meinecke, Kevin Glass and Linlee DuBard was an experience not to be missed. (You should be following all of them on Twitter.)

Thanks also go out to the many groups who sponsored and put on a slew of great events while we were all in Tampa and welcomed us to them. These include the American Conservative Union, GOProud, American Taxpayer Union, American Petroleum Institute and too many others to name. These gatherings really rounded out the event, provided tons of great information and got people motivated and involved in important issues for this campaign.

And last, but far from least, (most, actually) I know that the entire team wants to join me in thanking the people who are really responsible for this… you. The loyal readers of Hot Air and Townhall.com are the only reason we’re here and able to continue doing what we do. The way you all participated in the convention with us and drove traffic to the site was the real reward. We went well over a million hits just during the day shift more than once this week and the comments sections and reader responses at both sites were off the charts. I hope you enjoyed the chance to share the convention experience with us and the behind the scenes look at the biggest shindig every four years.

And with that, we return you to our regularly scheduled blathering.

Comments

You guys did great!

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

SO, who is the LUCKY guy with MKH??????????
/BISHOP!!

Khun Joe on September 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

The loyal readers of Hot Air and Townhall.com

….ok!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

This is a fun place to be, with great coverage and witty commentary. I’ve been a loyal reader since the beginning, but somehow always missed the open registrations and have had to be a wallflower for previous elections. It’s great to finally be able to participate. Thanks for a fabulous weeke!

pianomomma on September 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

+ 6.022 x 10²³

NaCly dog on September 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

SO, who is the LUCKY guy with MKH??????????

That’s Guy Benson.

Jazz Shaw on September 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Where’s a photo of Jazz? Or is he another AP-type, hidden from the glaring eyes of the world?

pianomomma on September 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

That’s Guy Benson.

Jazz Shaw on September 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I like Guy, but clearly the Nerdweeb is strong in that one.

OnTopic, nice job to Jazz and the team for awesome coverage of the convention.

Jaibones on September 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I also want to add my kudos….job well done!!!

Thanks to all. Now let’s see if the DNC does as good a job?

CoffeeLover on September 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM

further clarification….will the DNC do as good a job for the blogging world at their convention???

CoffeeLover on September 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Y’all did a fabulous job, it’s the first time I have ever wished I had been there. I don’t do crowds.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

CoffeeLover on September 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Probably depends on who the bloggers are.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Well the DNC was thoughtful enough to suggest to the Breitbart.com people that they hire some private security…

phreshone on September 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Ya’ll did a great job covering the convention.

Glad to hear the RNC also accommodated the new media. Because, frankly, that’s the only friends they’ve got.

AZfederalist on September 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Erika did a great job…

d1carter on September 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Thanks to you, Jazz, and the entire HA/TH team for superb coverage and, I know, ’round the clock work. I never once felt that any other blog out there was better informed than we were here at HA. Fantastic job by all.

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

HotAir team did a great job at the RNC…Thanks

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM

CoffeeLover on September 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Well, the dems DO keep telling us that they’re the technologically advanced ones.

/// :-)

Solaratov on September 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Well, the Fox coverage was somewhat disappointing. At one point they had Ann Coulter and Juan Williams on the same panel, and Ann settled for making Juan look stupid and partisan – as if that were difficult.

I was hoping/expecting her to beat his scrawny butt on live TV. That would be convention coverage, baby!

So I’m counting on MKH to slap the dope silly next time she shares a “Fox All Stars” seat with him. Do it for me, do it for love, do it for America, dammit.

Adjoran on September 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Thank you, Jazz, MKH, Erika, Guy and all the rest for your terrific coverage. You all made it seem as though we were right there with you and the thought occurred to me as I was watching the convention that I wished I would have been able to go myself — it seemed like a really remarkable experience.

We won’t mention his advice for his secret method of getting a good night’s sleep on the road. Unless this is an inside joke, please do share. Inquiring insomniac minds want to know. :)

PatriotGal2257 on September 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM

To all of our courageous new-media reporters, well played. Give yourselves a day off.

Freelancer on September 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM