New Florida poll shows vindication of Eastwood Strategy

posted at 10:01 am on September 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Feel lucky, punk?  When Republicans chose Tampa as the site for the 2012 national convention, they didn’t do it for the weather, obviously.  They saw Florida as a key to their hopes of winning the presidential election and hoped to make an impact on voters with their week-long argument for Republican control of the White House.  According to a snap poll from Survey USA of 754 registered voters who watched the final night of the convention, they may have switched 10% of the vote with the effort:

1,211 adults were interviewed statewide 08/31/12, after Romney, Florida’s Marco Rubio and Clint Eastwood spoke to the convention 08/30/12. Of the adults, 1,100 were registered to vote in Florida. Of the registered voters, 754 heard the convention speeches. Of the convention speech watchers:

66% did not change their mind.
16% switched from “undecided” to Romney.
6% switched from Obama to Romney.
Adding those 2 together, that’s 22% who switched TO Romney.
10% switched from “undecided” to Obama.
2% switched from Romney to Obama.
Adding those 2 together, that’s 12% who switched TO Obama.
Comparing the 2 aggregate numbers: 22% switched TO Romney, 12% switched TO Obama.

There is, however, a big caveat in this figures, which is that the people who watched the convention on the final night were still more Republican than the general population.  The D/R/I of this sample was 24/48/27, and the D/R/I of the 2010 midterms was 36/36/29.  That’s still significantly less Republican than I would have thought for a convention audience, and this might well be the first datum of success for the Clint Eastwood strategy.  Another data point would be the saturation among registered voters in Florida for the final night; in this survey, nearly 69% of registered voters in Florida tuned in.  That’s a pretty remarkable reach, and if that’s the case around the country, I’d say that Team Romney and the RNC won big.

Here’s another data point, too: the split among Florida voters to Eastwood’s speech was 49% positive to only 24% negative by the next day — presumably even after the avalanche of criticism for it.  The overall split is positive in almost all demos except Democrats (30/45) and liberals (26/58).  Majorities of independents (51/26), seniors (54/20), men (54/24) approved of it, but the biggest positive response came from Hispanics, 62/21 — even better than Republicans (58/12).  Even women (44/25) and black voters (43/37) liked Eastwood’s extemporaneous riff on President Obama.

The ultimate question, though, is whose minds were changed — and that looks bad for Obama almost along the same lines.  The aggregate numbers are shown above, but here are some key breakdowns in the demos, which we’ll calculate by adding those switching from either undecided or Obama to Romney, and those switching from undecided or Romney to Obama, in that order:

• Men: 32/16 (Romney/Obama switchers)
  • Women: 15/9
  • 18-34YOs: 29/15
  • Black: 38/19
  • Hispanic: 25/17
  • Independent: 37/23

One last caveat: those tuning in among those demos would tend to be a little self-selecting as having an open enough mind to be convinced to switch.  Still, it’s pretty clear that at least in Florida, Eastwood not only got people to tune in, he got them to enjoy the evening and perhaps open their mind to support Mitt Romney.  If I’m Mitt Romney, I’d say that this makes my day.

Update: I should probably also mention some of the reaction to the speeches of Romney and Rubio.  Let’s start with the positive/negative of Romney:

• Overall: 64/23
  • Women: 62/26
  • 18-34YOs: 51/39
  • Black: 54/36
  • Hispanic: 65/19
  • Independent: 54/24

And for Rubio, the numbers are even better:

• Overall: 67/19
  • Women: 66/20
  • 18-34YOs: 57/31
  • Black: 55/37
  • Hispanic: 76/15
  • Independent: 61/21

If Eastwood did indeed drive viewership, these numbers will be key in the weeks ahead for this swing state.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I can remember as a child my parents used to laugh and laugh at some guy’s imitation of the Kennedy’s. It was a whole record album. And that was over 40 years ago. Wish I could remember his name.
scalleywag on September 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Vaughn Meader – our family had the same record. It was very popular.

whatcat on September 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Clint Eastwood gave a performance not a speech. This man is abrilliant actor, and director of actors. He has directed 8 movies in thelast five years alone. He didn’t just suddenly lose it. And no actor of his caliber appears on stage with his hair looking like it did and acting like he did unless it was intended.

Mr Eastwood did some vintage shtick not unlike Jimmy Stewart or Bob Newhartto disarm his intended audience, Independent voters. He than proceeded to eviscerate Barky. Had he come out attacking the pResident, guns blazing with like he was Dirty Harry, he would have been far less effective.

Instead he used a little bit of stumbling here, a little aw shucks misdirection there as he stuck the knife between Barky’s ribs and twisted it. He demonstrated to those that get most of there their information from the MFM and have scarcely heard any criticism of “The One”, that he can be mocked. And ultimately the pResident is our employee, he’d not up to the job, and it’s ok to let him go. He did this brilliantly. Even the empty chair surrogate for Barky used a teleprompter. What better metaphor is there for Barky other than “A mean spirited empty chair? Eastwood’s mocking got so far under Barky’s thin skin that he had to send a tweet about it.

Eastwood also gave the left an opening to meltdown and say that he’s become a crazy old guy and lost it. This was a trap, and they took the bait. The MFM will now endlessly repeat clips of Eastwood mocking Barky trying to prove their point. And a wider audience than those who watched the GOP convention will see Mr. Eastwood’s critique. This will backfire on them. And If the Dems and MSNBC choose to mock and belittle Clint Eastwood who is beloved by millions of every political persuasion, let them do it. And see how many miles that gets them.

They have no answer for Clint Eastwood. And a good portion of their convention next week is going to be spent attacking a living legend and an empty chair!

Eastwood’s performance perfect, and it was absolutely wicked. Bravo!

jrgdds on September 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

The Ultimate Jew…Jackie Mason

Jackie Defends Clint Eastwood’s RNC Speach

GrannyDee on September 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Let’s start with the positive/negative of Romney: …
Women: 62/26 …
And for Rubio, the numbers are even better: …
Women: 66/20 …

Yep, that Republican War on Women(tm) is really having an impact!

KS Rex on September 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM

jrgdds on September 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Yeah…Eastwood was crazy like a fox.

Apparently Romney was laughing and enjoying Eastwood’s performance backstage.

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I put a chair in my front yard today.I don’t need to put a campaign sign anymore thanks to Clint.

docflash on September 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

This could be the start of something here….

The chair is going in my front yard in 5 minutes… Nothing else needed , Just the Chair..

A humble salute to Clint..

RockyJ. on September 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

…just cut the lawn and put a chair up front…a few cars have honked already!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM

This was Clint Eastwood doing Jimmy Stewart doing Jefferson Smith..

it had for its VERY VERY SPECIFIC AUDIENCE;

over 60 years old Reagan Democrats and Center/Independents..

From …THE BEST TAKE ON CLINT

Lourdes on September 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Eastwood, the Clinton Sequel: Clint will perform with an Empty Dress

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM

O/T: Oh. My. Gosh.

The Dem internals must be much worse than we realize.

The Obamas Already Preparing for Move to Hawaii in January 2013: Hyde Park neighbors talking about Chicago house being sold soon

Read more http://hillbuzz.org/the-obamas-already-preparing-for-move-to-hawaii-in-january-2013-hyde-park-neighbors-talking-about-chicago-house-being-sold-soon-63935

GrannyDee on September 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

The Ultimate Jew…Jackie Mason

Jackie Defends Clint Eastwood’s RNC Speach

GrannyDee on September 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

God Bless Jackie for standing up for Clint Eastwood and saying he was brilliant!….Thanks for posting the link!

Eastwood had that crowd in the palm of his hand…the envy of every comic.

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

jrgdds on September 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Brilliant assessment! For anyone who can not see that the stumbling/rambling was part of the schtick – wow is all I can say. The opening of his speech and the closing of his speech was said clearly, strongly and with conviction! Eastwood played the naysayers and like everything else they make fun of or condemn of the Republican’s, conservatives – it will come back to bite them. And as always I will laugh unashamedly as they look as stupid as they are (or think we are)

I’ve loved Clint Eastwood forever and he has endeared himself to me even more!!

BTW, I think the empty chair in our yards is one of the most awesome ideas I’ve heard in a long time.

ladyhawke53 on September 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

“You didn’t build that”.
The Empty Chair.

The undoing of Barack Obama.

rrpjr on September 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM

scalleywag on September 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Vaughn Meader – our family had the same record. It was very popular.

whatcat on September 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Vaughn met a sad end, sad to say, playing bluegrass music in bars in Maine (which is where he came from originally). Ironically his hit album was recorded the same night JFK gave his Cuban Missile Crisis speech.

Del Dolemonte on September 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Eastwood Was AWESOME!

TX-96 on September 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Empty chair went out to the end of our driveway this morning. Hopefully my lib neighbors won’t steal it.
Awesome idea!

God bless Rowdy Yates!

eyesky on September 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

…just cut the lawn and put a chair up front…a few cars have honked already!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I just got done building a platform and anchoring an empty chair in the bed of my Ford Ranger.

Probably not a good idea for folks living in hostile blue territory.

JPeterman on September 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The Ultimate Jew…Jackie Mason

Jackie Defends Clint Eastwood’s RNC Speach

GrannyDee on September 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Thanks, GD. Awesome stuff.

John the Libertarian on September 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The cumulative youtube hits for Clint now exceed 2.5million and rising fast.

kirkbride on September 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I just plain don’t get it.
How on earth can 10% switch from “undecided” to Obama.
It is just so obvious by the way he speaks,moves,smiles that he is a complete fraud..
It vexes me that others cannot see this..
It all seems so surreal.

DJcool on September 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I tried an empty chair but it kept bowing to the SOB across the street!

Don L on September 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yes, the death of JFK took a personal and professional toll on Meader. As I understand it, the rest of the voice cast on the album were not told about about the Cuban Missile Crisis speech until the recording was finished as it would have, obviously, not been thinking about the recording.

Vaughn Meader as JFK

I still remember some of the lines, like Khrushchev at dinner. He’s offered a dish, but declines, saying “I’ll just have a little bite of everyone else’s.”.

whatcat on September 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Probably not a good idea for folks living in hostile blue territory.

JPeterman on September 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

…I’ve got a folding chair with JugEars name in magic marker on the backrest (I live in Michigan so I have to give the uninformed some ‘wonder why?’ assistance)…I’m trying to figure out how to put it securely on the roof of my car! I drive 49 miles one way to work on mostly stop and go freeway…I really would like to make that trip fun every day from now until November!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

jrgdds on September 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Just so. Eastwood’s approach was well-planned and brilliant, and his presence attracted viewers for Rubio and Romney who might not have tuned in otherwise.

The fact that the left/media types didn’t “get it” just demonstrates they are truly stupid.

Adjoran on September 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I haven’t read all the comments so I don’t know if anyone has posted this yet, if so sorry. It is another Ramirez cartoon about Clint’s speech. Great as usual.

L

letget on September 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I tried an empty chair but it kept bowing to the SOB across the street!

Don L on September 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM

yea, the Russian guy across the street came out, and my chair just folded.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I liked when he talked about everybody in the dark in Grant Park lighting candles, he made it sound pointless and ridiculous!!!

Pest on September 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM

jrgdds on September 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Exactly…and quite frankly I didn’t think the O team would be this stupid. They are turning a “one night only” appearance into a run that could last for quite some time…and I’ll sit back and watch and love every minute of it.
And also as you say…it’s one thing to attack a candidate and his usual surrogates…but it’s quite another to attack a beloved American icon because of his age. It certainly doesn’t seem like sound strategy to me…but hey…let them have at it. It’s going to cost them.

lynncgb on September 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM

The Domers are up 27-0, almost halftime… Pretty ugly for the Mids… No trip to Ireland is worth that…

Kind of like the UGLY that Clint laid all over Obama…

Khun Joe on September 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

If you think that’s bad, wait til you see the USC/Hawaii game….That’s going to redefine the word ugly. Still, I gotta say, Go Bows! Heh.

kekelaward on September 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Actually, I thought Obama was a stool.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

And a big mistake… given what Photoshop can do.

CPT. Charles on September 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Don’t know if this link has been posted, but these are hysterical. RNC has even added one.

TxAnn56 on September 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Um, isn’t this a case of sexual harrassment ??
Love the chair reference. SNORT.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM

An oldie but goodie

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Actually, I thought Obama was a stool.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

A nasty gray stool from a very hungover morning…

Pest on September 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

TxAnn56 on September 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Houston, we have reached Mock Two.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

from comment thread at daily caller:
Why Clint Eastwood’s speech worked: Eastwood speech youtube 800,000 Rubio speech youtube 61,000… Romney speech youtube 51,000 Ryan speech youtube 33,000 Ann Romney youtube 30,000 Rice speech youtube 22,000

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Houston, we have reached Mock Two.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Good one! LOL

AZfederalist on September 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Probably not a good idea for folks living in hostile blue territory.

JPeterman on September 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

For those in blue territory anchor one on the roof of your house.

(And post a sign below, like one of those ladder warning labels: “Danger: Stay Off the Roof. Do Not Walk on the Roof. Do Not Stand on the Roof. Do Not Sit on the Empty Chair on the Roof– That Seat Is Taken. Falling Off the Roof May Be Hazardous To Your Health.” Or, alternatively, “Warning: If you’re too stupid to use a ladder, stay off the damn thing. And stay off my roof.” That should satisfy the cops and insurance adjusters.)

de rigueur on September 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Bot, that is one hideous looking statue, with the golden irony that it is made of sand.

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

TxAnn56 on September 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Houston, we have reached Mock Two.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

…those are hilarious!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Jaibones on September 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Your post maybe O/T, but your observation is spot on.

kekelaward on September 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I read on another site that Donald Trump was supposed to talk to the “empty chair” before firing Obama. That Clint’s skit was just a retooled Trump bit. That fact the libs are saying Clint was strange and rumbling means it worked.

borg on September 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Eastwood crushed Barry into a silly little grease stain.

Go Mitt/Ryan.

SparkPlug on September 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

That is soooo creepy. And the ears don’t stick out enough.

txmomof6 on September 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

The message here is that they are not letting go of the creepy cult of personality that surrounds Obama.

AZfederalist on September 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I have no use for entertainers of any ilk, even ones supposedly on our side. I thought Eastwood sucked. But then I think they all do. Those of you who think it was a good thing, more power to ya. I hope you all are right.

The go F-yourself references are the Dems turf, and beneath the class of Rubio and Rommney who followed. Should not have happened.

Ask yourself, was Clint’s “performance” really the best thing a supposed A-list heavy-weight could have possibly done to set up the two biggest speeches of the convention?

The crazy uncle in the attic is Beiden’s schtick. Clint should have done better. I think he blew his opportunity. But that’s what I have come to expect from Hollywierd.

They can all go F themselves.

Buck Turgidson on September 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

That is soooo creepy. And the ears don’t stick out enough.

txmomof6 on September 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Not enough sand on that beach.

Yoop on September 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Don’t say “even” women and black voters were positive on Clint. That’s equivalent to “unexpectedly.” Don’t assume. Just report the facts: “women and black voters also were positive on Clint … “

rgeaste on September 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

GrannyDee on September 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Del mentioned that article on a thread last night too. It really “made my day”….if you consider yakking up all of yesterday’s meals “making your day”.
We already had Marcos, and what a circus that was. Now another despot is coming to town.

kekelaward on September 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Dear Ed:

Next time you’re about to write “bad news” or “bad news for Obama”, you might consider phrasing it “good news for the USA”. Just saying, you write this in every post.

bernverdnardo1 on September 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM

That is soooo creepy. And the ears don’t stick out enough.

txmomof6 on September 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Not enough sand on that beach.

Yoop on September 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Someone needs to tell O the story of King Canute. He likely still thinks he can lower the sea levels…

Pest on September 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

That UGLEEEEEE sand art was taken down, for security reason.
So, I guess the dude really DIDN’T build it ??

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

That UGLEEEEEE sand art was taken down, for security reason.
So, I guess the dude really DIDN’T build it ??

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Looks like it was different sand art. The art taken down did not have the beach sand idol of Obama. The sand idol still stands.

AZfederalist on September 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM

AZfederalist on September 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Really ? What was the other one ?
Another Preezy ??

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Ahhh, I see .. just didn’t expect there to be more than one.. LOL.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM

The batch of media polls that presume a Dem skew are worthless.

In August, 37.6% of voters identified themselves as Republican. That is up from 34.9% in July. By contrast, just 33.3% of voters identify themselves as Democrats. That is very near their historic low in February, when 32.4% of voters identified as Democrat. The 4.3 margin in favor of the GOP is the biggest gap ever between the parties. In November 2010, when the GOP won a landslide in the mid-term elections, their advantage was just 1.3 points.

Immediately prior to Obama’s inauguration, the Democrat party held a nearly 9 point edge over Republicans. Over 41% of voters called themselves Democrats then, compared to around 32% who were Republicans. It is a stunning reversal as Obama heads into reelection.

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM

O_O

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I don’t know if anyone took it this way yet, but new bumper sticker idea:

Romney/Ryan OR (empty chair picture): WE choose which employee to hire!

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Ahhh, I see .. just didn’t expect there to be more than one.. LOL.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Reading the comments it looks as though there might be another reason than ‘security’ for taking it down, i.e. it looked awful like Alfred E. Newman.

Whatever. I’m from S. Carolina, and I want my sand back!

Cody1991 on September 1, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Right next to Archie’s

Rio Linda Refugee on September 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Please liberal sums, keep using the race card… Use it strongly… Use it all the time, do not stop… There is nothing that would increase the chances of Romney victory more than you fools using the race card…

mnjg on September 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM

They can all go F themselves.

Buck Turgidson on September 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Lighten up… Clint’s act was brilliant. And that is what it was…performance. People loved it! DNC will spend all week trying to attack an empty chair and an Hollywood legend.

Redford on September 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

If I were paid to give advice to the DNC, I would tell them to leave this alone. The twiter pix was really stupid on their part. Since they aren’t paying me, I’d still tell them the same thing. Leave this alone. You’ve already hurt yourself. Quit committing suicide.

BetseyRoss on September 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM

How the Gutsiest President–EVER–Single-Handedly Killed OBL

ModerateMan on September 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Rio Linda Refugee has got to be the biggest racist and bigot of all time

tommy-t on September 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Guess what ??

Rain is washing away the Obama sand tribute !!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH … gasp, choke … HAHAHAHAHAH

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

“Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.”

kingsjester on September 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Rio Linda Refugee has got to be the biggest racist and bigot of all time

tommy-t on September 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

No. He’s not.
Archie Bunker is an iconic figure in American Television History. That’s what he meant.

That is why that chair is in the Smithsonian.

kingsjester on September 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM

kingsjester on September 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

But of course.
Chilling to see it.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM

kingsjester on September 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Just remembered SOMEBODY making a Mt. Carmel reference earlier in the week about something @ the RNC .. this is freaky.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I thought Clint Eastwood had done two unprecedented things with his skit. But I now realize I need to add a third item to the list which is even more important.

1) The empty chair defines Obama and his administration.
2) People can now visualize the President’s chair without Obama in it.
3) It’s now ok to make fun of Obama.

That last one could be the most harmful to Obama as more and more people find it ok to not take Obama seriously.

MrX on September 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I don’t think the DNC will get a Clooney or a Hanks to rip on Clint Eastwood at the convention. Eastwood is an icon. He is talented as hell, considered to be one of the most decent, down-to-earth men in Hollywood. I don’t think those little boys will go up against that. I could be wrong, but if they get someone, it’ll have to be someone with equal chops or Eastwood will swat it away with a simple, sly smile and a chuckle.

Rational Thought on September 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Totally laughable, utterly useless poll.

Keep watching your black-and-white TVs, Hotairheads. Maybe the 21st century will go away if you just keep listening to yourselves.

bifidis on September 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Well, one thing we ccan allo be certain of…that is one chair that was union made!

Don L on September 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Totally laughable, utterly useless poll.

bifidis on September 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

What?

tom daschle concerned on September 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Was reading comments about this over at Ann Althouse, and this one struck me. It is long, but spot-on and definitely worth the read, IMHO.

Saint Croix said…
The content probably would’ve been funny if it had been delivered well

I wonder if he rehearsed it, filmed himself, watched it, tried a few different versions. He is a filmmaker, after all.

Eastwood’s speech is disarming. That’s the first thing you notice. His uncombed hair and how he says a variety of things.

It’s self-effacing. It’s a highly human performance. Does he seem slick, or over-produced? He does not. He’s the antithesis of slick.

It’s unlike any other political speech. Thus it’s highly watchable. Non-partisans are watching it. They are watching an old man talk to an empty chair.

I’ve never, ever, been so aware of the age of Eastwood before. That’s the first thing he does. He humanizes himself. “I’m not a star. I’m just an old guy.”

Americans are genius at smuggling propaganda into art. Think about the politics behind Casablanca. Amazing. Or think about what the Marx brothers did. Or Dr. Strangelove.

But you have to disguise the politics. You have to smuggle it in, using humor or other tricks. If you’re partisan–like all the Hollywood movies about the evils of Bush–people know what you’re going to say. They’re bored. And they run away from you and your stupid ideas.

Eastwood’s performance is odd, different, highly watchable. He has a lot of zingers, he worked in some vulgarity, some real nasty attacks on Obama and Biden.

And none of this seems mean, at all. He avoided all the meanness in politics. And yet it’s all there, underneath that performance as a doddering old man.

And Eastwood probably is slipping a bit, in his old age. But the way you make a performance authentic is by taking what is there and pushing it. I believe that’s what he did.

You could imagine George Clooney giving a speech at the DNC, right? And it’s very produced and his voice is just right and he’s outraged and all the delegates love him.

Yet would that work? Or would people tune it out because they know what Clooney is going to say? Would he seem (gasp!) like all the other politicians on the stage?

Eastwood’s performance is self-effacing. He’s not relying on his authority as a famous Hollywood star. He diminishes his own authority, and then after doing so he diminishes Obama’s, too.

And he has nice (and passionate) things to say about the American people.

Does it come across as propaganda? Not in the slightest. All we are left with is that funny and likable old man who is talking to an empty chair, and mocking the President for his incompetence. And telling us all to fire him.

Who’s angry at Eastwood? Nobody. Who’s watching the performance and listening to what he has to say? Everybody.

Within the context of what he is trying to do, it’s a pretty amazing piece of performance art. Off-hand and casual. And maybe it was off-hand and casual. But I’ll bet he worked on it, too.

txmomof6 on September 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Whoever thought that CHAIR (especially EMPTY CHAIR) would be a racial code word-joining a list of other substitute discriminatory words such as INCOMPETENT, DISHONEST, UNRELIABLE, UNTRUTHFUL, SNEAKY, SPITEFUL, SOCIALISTIC, MARXIST, CHICAGO, PLACE OF BIRTH, SCHOOL TRANSCRIPTS, FAST AND FURIOUS, and NATION DESTROYING.

MaiDee on September 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

txmomof6 on September 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Does it take a second or third viewing for folks to attribute alot of his stammerings, hesitancies to the fact that he was being annoyingly interrupted by the empty chair, that he eventually acknowledged ??
I got that, first watch.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Maybe the 21st century will go away if you just keep listening to yourselves.

Terminal Stupidity on September 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Hey, you and your Party are the ones stuck in the Bush Administration. According to you girls, it never ended.

It’s absolutely fascinating observing all of you squealing about Eastwood like the stuck Pigs you are. Great Entertainment, and proof that Eastwood is now living rent-free inside your empty heads.

A+

Del Dolemonte on September 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM

What to say of Clint Eastwood’s bravura performance that has not already been said? The fact that so many people, both Republican and Democrat alike, thought the these were the peripatetic ramblings of a semi-senile old man is a solid testament to Eastwood’s acting chops.

And the large mouth bass award goes to…the Media pundits, many of whom still don’t know how thoroughly they’ve been punked; hook, line, and sinker.

For those who didn’t notice it when it happened (so casually and effortlessly was it executed that to my knowledge no one has even mentioned it yet) as he stepped back from behind the podium, Eastwood gave an short actor’s bow, commonly given after a stage performance. And like I said, his was a bravura performance.

ariel on September 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Vaughn Meader – our family had the same record. It was very popular.

the “rubber shwan is mine.”

gerrym51 on September 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Totally laughable, utterly useless poll.

bifidis on September 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

___________________________________________________________

Libs are so predictable…like a herd of sheep…Liar in Chief makes a completely irrelevant, juvenile remark about “black and white tv”…and the libs trot the remark out like good little sheep.

got any original ideas small-minded one ?

LaRepublican on September 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

The Democrats are frantically trying to find a high profile mystery speaker that matches their philosophical bent. Rumor has it that it’s Hugo Chavez!

MaiDee on September 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Totally laughable, utterly useless poll.

bifidis on September 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

What?

tom daschle concerned on September 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

He/she is already quoting Obama’s new campaign rhetoric saying that Republicans are so old fashioned in ideas that we might as well be watching black and white TV’s still. It was a rather pathetic swipe if you ask me.

What was REALLY funny to me during the speech (listened to CSPAN on the radio while out doing some shopping) was he spent the speech going off the rails going on and on about how Romney gave no specifics during the Convention about his plans (which is NOT what Conventions like that are for…idiot)…and yet didn’t even come CLOSE to giving any details of any plans of his own. It was even more generic than Romney’s 5 point plan he talks about at campaign stops…which at least is an OUTLINE for a plan. Obama doesn’t even have THAT to talk about!! lol

Highlar on September 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

It is strange indeed to read a post and see your own writing in the middle of it. I am flattered.

SurferDoc on September 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM

bifidis on September 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

You mad, bro?

John the Libertarian on September 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

‘Toon of the Day: Mr B.O.Tingles Jumps The Shark

M2RB: Sammy Davis, Jr, Germany, 1985

Resist We Much on September 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM

MaiDee on September 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Sounds about right.

Terrye on September 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

ariel on September 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Also his entire demeanor changed as did the tenure of his voice and he thanked the crowd.

Terrye on September 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Redford on September 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

You are entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. “Lighten up” doesn’t address a single point I made. If entertainers hold some special fascination for you, fine. I think they all suck.

Too bad the RNC couldn’t get Red Skelton to do a “Crazy Guggenheim” bit to convince people not to drive our country off a cliff.

Buck Turgidson on September 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Probably not a good idea for folks living in hostile blue territory.

JPeterman on September 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

You guys just made my day!

redridinghood on September 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Mr Eastwood chaired to be different.

westerncanadian on September 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Terrye on September 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Yup, like watching Roger “Verbal” Kint transform seamlessly into Keyser Söze in The Usual Suspects: The posture straightens, the stride quickens: “And like that, he’s gone.”

Well done, Mr. Eastwood. Well done, indeed.

ariel on September 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

In honor of Mr. Eastwood, Mr. Kristamatic whipped up this little gem this morning:

And also, this:

I am still laughing!

Kristamatic on September 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

One thing is certain. The screen pic for Obamateurism of the Day/Week must be changed to an empty chair.

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM