New Florida poll shows vindication of Eastwood Strategy

posted at 10:01 am on September 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Feel lucky, punk?  When Republicans chose Tampa as the site for the 2012 national convention, they didn’t do it for the weather, obviously.  They saw Florida as a key to their hopes of winning the presidential election and hoped to make an impact on voters with their week-long argument for Republican control of the White House.  According to a snap poll from Survey USA of 754 registered voters who watched the final night of the convention, they may have switched 10% of the vote with the effort:

1,211 adults were interviewed statewide 08/31/12, after Romney, Florida’s Marco Rubio and Clint Eastwood spoke to the convention 08/30/12. Of the adults, 1,100 were registered to vote in Florida. Of the registered voters, 754 heard the convention speeches. Of the convention speech watchers:

66% did not change their mind.
16% switched from “undecided” to Romney.
6% switched from Obama to Romney.
Adding those 2 together, that’s 22% who switched TO Romney.
10% switched from “undecided” to Obama.
2% switched from Romney to Obama.
Adding those 2 together, that’s 12% who switched TO Obama.
Comparing the 2 aggregate numbers: 22% switched TO Romney, 12% switched TO Obama.

There is, however, a big caveat in this figures, which is that the people who watched the convention on the final night were still more Republican than the general population.  The D/R/I of this sample was 24/48/27, and the D/R/I of the 2010 midterms was 36/36/29.  That’s still significantly less Republican than I would have thought for a convention audience, and this might well be the first datum of success for the Clint Eastwood strategy.  Another data point would be the saturation among registered voters in Florida for the final night; in this survey, nearly 69% of registered voters in Florida tuned in.  That’s a pretty remarkable reach, and if that’s the case around the country, I’d say that Team Romney and the RNC won big.

Here’s another data point, too: the split among Florida voters to Eastwood’s speech was 49% positive to only 24% negative by the next day — presumably even after the avalanche of criticism for it.  The overall split is positive in almost all demos except Democrats (30/45) and liberals (26/58).  Majorities of independents (51/26), seniors (54/20), men (54/24) approved of it, but the biggest positive response came from Hispanics, 62/21 — even better than Republicans (58/12).  Even women (44/25) and black voters (43/37) liked Eastwood’s extemporaneous riff on President Obama.

The ultimate question, though, is whose minds were changed — and that looks bad for Obama almost along the same lines.  The aggregate numbers are shown above, but here are some key breakdowns in the demos, which we’ll calculate by adding those switching from either undecided or Obama to Romney, and those switching from undecided or Romney to Obama, in that order:

• Men: 32/16 (Romney/Obama switchers)
  • Women: 15/9
  • 18-34YOs: 29/15
  • Black: 38/19
  • Hispanic: 25/17
  • Independent: 37/23

One last caveat: those tuning in among those demos would tend to be a little self-selecting as having an open enough mind to be convinced to switch.  Still, it’s pretty clear that at least in Florida, Eastwood not only got people to tune in, he got them to enjoy the evening and perhaps open their mind to support Mitt Romney.  If I’m Mitt Romney, I’d say that this makes my day.

Update: I should probably also mention some of the reaction to the speeches of Romney and Rubio.  Let’s start with the positive/negative of Romney:

• Overall: 64/23
  • Women: 62/26
  • 18-34YOs: 51/39
  • Black: 54/36
  • Hispanic: 65/19
  • Independent: 54/24

And for Rubio, the numbers are even better:

• Overall: 67/19
  • Women: 66/20
  • 18-34YOs: 57/31
  • Black: 55/37
  • Hispanic: 76/15
  • Independent: 61/21

If Eastwood did indeed drive viewership, these numbers will be key in the weeks ahead for this swing state.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Clint Eastwood,it was suggested on another blog, took his wonderful routine from Jimmy Stewart in the movie and play entitled HARVEY.
All about an invisible white rabbit Jimmy Stewart would talk too.

I loved the play and the movie. As a side, my mother was in the Broadway play.

Eastwood brought back my memories with a clever truth slapping to the empty chair, over which, he could have placed an EMPTY SUIT!

Delsa on September 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It was somewhat from Harvey, indirectly. The original routine, incorporating the empty chair, was done by Bob Newhart in the late ’60s on the Dean Martin show, borrowing heavily from Harvey.

Clint just added, and magnificently, the flawless portrayal of a doddering, stumbling old actor.

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Just came in from my morning walk with the dog. We stop by a barber shop (dogs are allowed), and everyone was talking about Clint. The guys loved it. They got it, and they were having fun repeating various lines.

The same thing happened at the next place where I get Mr. Dog’s morning treat. Everyone was talking about Clint, smiling and laughing. They knew Eastwood was speaking to them.

I noticed something else as people were speaking. They were feeling encouraged. No more sotto voce for fear of offending someone. Opinions were discussed openly and loudly. This is a marked difference from the last few years.

Thank you, Clint!

Cody1991 on September 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

My hats off to Romney’s team. Thay have successfully send the SoCon agenda underground and kept the focus on the economy.

Now, the Democrats will be focusing on irrelevant social issues in desperation to try to hang on to grievence minded special interest voters.

One Romney is elected, he can actually make real impact on issues like abortion and the like by electing like minded judges…….Butif you want to be elected…..keep the social agenda under the radar and out of the public eye……..just like the progressives do it.

rickyricardo on September 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The chair must go to the White House if Romney wins.

budfox on September 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

No, the Chair needs to go into the Smithsonian, where the whole world can see it.

JPeterman on September 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

JPeterman on September 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Right next to Archie’s

Rio Linda Refugee on September 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

rickyricardo on September 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Profoundly stupid.

tom daschle concerned on September 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

OT: The Real War on Women Comes from a Democrat

Former Dem. Hill Staffer and Obama Admin. Official Accused of Drugging and Sexually Assaulting Women

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on September 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Obama’s base

According to the newspaper, she reportedly told detectives at her sentencing that she “wouldn’t do all this nonsense if the government gave us more money.”

Kim reported that Thompson served time in state prison nine times and has 25 known aliases.

tom daschle concerned on September 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

ANYONE who claims to be an independent and switched their vote to Oliar after listening to Rubio and Clint IS LYING about being “Independent”

FlaMurph on September 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

…I have found it odd that a good number of my acquaintance’s who have been Democrats for the few decades I have known them…for the last couple of years now classify themselves as “Independents”… Wonder why?

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Remember when Clint opened his speech with “I know what you’re thinking”? Well, he was making an allusion to the famous “Make my day” scene from “Dirty Harry.” Even the way he was wearing his hair was an allusion to the 70s hairstyle of the character!

He knew EXACTLY what he was doing!!!

“I know what you’re thinking” is at 1:46

Pest on September 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Forgive me for picking nits here, but the line “Make my day” never appeared in the original “Dirty Harry.” That line was from the 1983 film “Sudden Impact,” which was, I think, the 4th in the Dirty Harry series.

“I know what you’re thinking,” of course, was from the climactic scene in the original 1971 movie where he confronts the killer and asks him if he’s feeling lucky.

Right Mover on September 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The Obama Presidency:
Empty chair & Teleprompter.

albill on September 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

It’s also amazing how many liberals don’t think of themselves as liberal.

Right Mover on September 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Romney’s humanity, decency and competence, Ryan’s fire and Clint’s cutting through the PC BS ~ ALL their unwavering patriotism ~ will shine even brighter next week for the contrast between conventions. Man o man, ESPECIALLY since it will still be SO FRESH in people’s minds!

1) How many “USA! USA!” chants will ring spontaneously out from the DNC crowd?

2) What speakers will bring tears to the eyes of delegates (and not from the pain of sitting through the speech itself, or the cudgels of SEIU goons forcing them to stay in their seats for the cameras?)

3) How long before the first heckler shoots their mouth off at Cardinal Dolan, when he appears for the final benediction?

4) How will four days of hate-filled, unhinged vitriol directed at Mitt Romney, that blue-eyed baby boy Paul Ryan, Clint and GEORGE BUSH go over after the hope filled LOVEFEST that WAS GOP 2012?

Should. Be. FUN.

tree hugging sister on September 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I’ll admit I was squirming as I watched Clint’s speech. (Please don’t hurt me.)

The empty chair is an old standup routine, and I suspect it works better in a small club-type setting. On TV it gave me the impression that Clint was rambling and talking to a chair, even though I knew what he was doing. This, of course, is what the left gleefully jumped on as well.

But if most people had a better impression of Clint’s speech than I did, great.

Of all the other speakers I caught, Rubio was the best–awesome.

MidniteRambler on September 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Find Clint’s empty chair routine and watch it one more time. I think you will see the humor and understand it’s deliberateness!

Delsa on September 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I knew with the bashing of Clint they were worried about his senior’s appeal. They know it’s all they have in Florida, to terrify them.

Marcus on September 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

The free publicity of Clint’s remarks will continue past Thursday night and the viral video. Clint has a new movie coming out: “Trouble with the Curve”. That means he will be making all the media junket stops to promote it- Leno, Letterman, Kimble, Fallon, etc. And of course, because of the “controversial” nature of his performance at the RNC, the topic will come up. And he’ll get to repeat his zingers to all the uninformed, not-tuned-in watchers of late night television. Bonus!

He’s also automatically increased the audience size of his film. I know I’ll be going-if only to support and reward his bravery for standing up for conservatism.

He knew exactly what he was doing. Oh, and his calm, articulate composer during his upcoming interviews will prove that his delivery technique at the RNC was all a part of the act. This will further stick it to the Dems for accusing him of being a rambling, incoherent old man. BOOM!

parteagirl on September 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

OT:
ESPN GameDay just ran the obama ad w/Clinton ‘we need to build up the middle class’.

In TEXAS ??
Spend, baby, spend.
Well, I guess it’s national, actually.
Nevermind.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Right Mover on September 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

If we’re pick nits, Callahan used the line twice in the movie. The first time was for the black bank robber who was wounded in the shoot out outside the cafe. The guy responds with typical 1970′s “blackspeak,” “I gots to know.” Harry then pulls the trigger (click) and chuckles as he walks away.

Wino on September 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Has anyone seen this? (via Ace) Invisible Obama seems like a pretty cool guy!

1984 in real life on September 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Listen to it without looking ….it is a great act…the truth is had to take

Hojczyk on September 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM

MidniteRambler on September 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Actually, the gag worked brilliantly on the big screen, too. In a brilliant movie, of course.

You make a fair point, Eastwood probably was jet-lagged, unrehearsed, some say without notes or a teleprompter, and 83 years old– but he nailed that empty chair. And Obama knew it right away, which is why he tweeted back a picture of a chair that itself looks barely occupied: “This seat’s taken.” Whatever the flaws in Eastwood’s delivery, how much worse was the Preezy’s response?

The precise details of Eastwood’s delivery will fade as everyone’s recollection of Eastwood grows larger. (I suspect his appearance will become legendary, like some of his movie characters.) But no one will forget the empty chair.

de rigueur on September 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

parteagirl on September 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

This. September 21st. Mark the date. Let’s give ownership of the weekend box office to Eastwood, the way he pwned that chair.

de rigueur on September 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I put a chair in my front yard today.I don’t need to put a campaign sign anymore thanks to Clint.

docflash on September 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

This could be the start of something here….

The chair is going in my front yard in 5 minutes… Nothing else needed , Just the Chair..

A humble salute to Clint..

RockyJ. on September 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

A Romney/Ryan sign with “OR ==>” added pointing to an empty chair would look great in my front yard. Thanks for the suggestion!

Naturally Curly on September 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Barry bravely faces up to the media again.

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Xcellent News!

Clint Eastwood rocked it for Team Romney!

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Up yours Eastside and DDdumbrinti must be on Labor Day vacay…….or are pitching a tent in Charlotte.

Miss their insight. /

FlaMurph on September 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Man, that is some wonderful spin! Awesome!

ExpressoBold on September 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

LOL. The first question from a reader included the statement,”We are behind you 100%…”.

d1carter on September 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

The NRSC hits back on the “this chair is taken”…

d1carter on September 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

HA!

Yeah…I’ve been enjoying the links to tweet responses at Ace’s…

This one from Sen. Mike Lee on the senate budget committee bites

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Man, that is some wonderful spin! Awesome!

ExpressoBold on September 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

You need to work on your delivery. Eastwood’s wins Oscars.

de rigueur on September 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I don’t need data points to tell me it worked. I watched it.

rrpjr on September 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

parteagirl on September 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You nailed it, and this was no doubt the plan all along. The film’s due in theaters on 9/21. By the way, got an advance, pre-final editing copy of “Trouble with the Curve”, and it should be a hit. This is the first film he’s done in a while that he didn’t also direct, but it’s very well done.

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Romney has put the tedious abortion issue and other vaginal irrelevancies in the adems house.

Now the Dems can waste their convention time on this stupidity while Mitt and Romney address the economy.

Beautiful to see a Republican candidate who has a clue how politics works.

rickyricardo on September 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

The NRSC hits back on the “this chair is taken”…
d1carter on September 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Very good! Should inspire a boatload of empty chair meetings photoshops. e.g. deserted allies across the table from the EC In Chief.

whatcat on September 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I missed his speech – Romney’s too. (dang vacation)

Hopefully they are on YouTube – would like some nice Saturday night viewing.

gophergirl on September 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Jacobson at legal insurrection responded to Obama’s “This seats taken” tweet by saying “This is not the tweet of a confident man…”
The photoshops are brilliant.

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Just think of the Democratic National Convention as Obama’s official retirement party.

That’s what it is. I hope he gets to keep the change from all dem donations.

Key West Reader on September 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Man, that is some wonderful spin! Awesome!

ExpressoBold on September 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Interesting. How long have you known him or worked with him and when was your last conversation with him? Most of the people who have had contact with him of any kind would agree with my assessment.

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Cartoonists join in…

Clint Eastwood is a national treasure…He got under Obama’s skin & so will Romney/Paul

Looking forward to the debates.

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I bid $100 for the Chair. Where is it?

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Hit the Barry/Avelrod/Cutter lying machine with the list of people investing through Bain

Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund ($2.2 million)
Indiana Public Retirement System ($39.3 million)
Iowa Public Employees’ Retirement System ($177.1 million)
The Los Angeles Fire and Police Pension System ($19.5 million)
Maryland State Retirement and Pension System ($117.5 million)
Public Employees’ Retirement System of Nevada ($20.3 million)
State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio ($767.3 million)
Pennsylvania State Employees’ Retirement System ($231.5 million)
Employees’ Retirement System of Rhode Island ($25 million)
San Diego County Employees Retirement Association ($23.5 million)
Teacher Retirement System of Texas ($122.5 million)
Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System ($15 million)

Endowment Funds from
Columbia Unversity
Princeton
Yale
Cornell
Emory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
Notre Dame
University of Pittsburgh.
Purdue University ($15.9 million)
University of California ($225.7 million)
University of Michigan ($130 million)
University of Virginia ($20 million)
University of Washington ($33 million)

Foundations
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
The Doris Duke Foundation
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Ford Foundation, the
Heinz Endowments and the
Oprah Winfrey Foundation.

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I missed his speech – Romney’s too. (dang vacation)

Hopefully they are on YouTube – would like some nice Saturday night viewing.

gophergirl on September 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Try this: http://www.c-span.org/RNC/

You can probably watch all of the most important speeches.

Cody1991 on September 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Key West Reader on September 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Howdy, KWR ! Glad to see you !
Did you get much of Isaac ??

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Try this: http://www.c-span.org/RNC/

You can probably watch all of the most important speeches.

Cody1991 on September 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Thanks – I did manage to catch some of them but missed everything on Thursday night.

gophergirl on September 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Sorry if already posted, but I liked this one :

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Sorry if already posted, but I liked this one :

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Obama fell for the trap. He really is doomed with this chair.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Yes. I saw Eastwood not too long ago at a Directors’ Guild event in LA in which he was interviewed one-on-one for an hour. He was sharp as a tack.

rrpjr on September 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

“I would just like to say something, ladies and gentlemen. Something that I think is very important. It is that, you, we — we own this country.

“Politicians are employees of ours.”

“And when somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go.” – Clint Eastwood, RNC 2012

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/31/clint-eastwood-said-four-important-things/#ixzz25Ea7jIls

That is what people heard…and that’s what has the left scared.

workingclass artist on September 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM

He effectively used the RIDICULE method of Saul Alinsky on Obama.

It was devastating when he used the empty chair and said you gotta go.

Even DEMS know Clint Eastwood.

Now if we can just get the apologies from republicans to stop about Clint’s speech.

PappyD61 on September 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Their will be an onslaught of chair YouTubes from ordinary people next week. They will completely swamp the Dems message next week.

faraway on September 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Heh

i’m sure the talking heads tomorrow am will ONLY focus on clint…

cmsinaz on September 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

docflash on September 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I thought about doing that yesterday – but my neighbors would probably steal it.
Oh, they aren’t d’ohbama supporters – though they probably would be if they knew how or bothered to vote, since they’re dedicated leeches and moochers. They’re just too lazy to do anything besides steal. (Typical dem voters.)

Solaratov on September 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Here’s the transcript.

kingsjester on September 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Eastwood, you magnificent bastard! I saw your films!

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on September 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Delsa on September 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I thought the same thing, but then thought that the suit would have made it seem contrived.
As it was, it was perfect.

Solaratov on September 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Just checked into HotAir so not sure if these two points were already brought up:
1. Eastwood’s performance will be thought of in every elderly person’s mind next week when Democrats bring up Medicare and “pushing Grandma over the cliff”. Many elderly will think well the Republicans put that nice old man on TV they(Republicans) can’t be that bad.

2 Just saw the trailer for Clint’s new movie last night on TV. You don’t think he knows he was able to reach a whole new audience group? hahahaha He is laughing all the way to the bank.

traditionalgal on September 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Cody1991 on September 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

That is awesome. May I ask if you are in a blue or purple/swing-state neck of the woods?

Missy on September 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM

PappyD61 on September 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM

THIS! I think it’s time that our side stands up for our side, even if we may be slightly embarrassed about how they represent us.

Scott Walker, I love you, but this goes for you too when you mentioned that Clint’s performance made you “uncomfortable”.

And it goes to Reince Prebus’ attitude towards Todd Akin. I wouldn’t have necessarily picked this race or candidate to demand an end to our circular firing squads, but since Akin has chosen it for us, it’s as good a time as any. Maybe Clint’s performance will give our side a little more backbone and be a little less concerned about being “embarrassed”. Stand up! Be strong! Stop caring so much what other people think and say about you! Follow Clint’s lead!

parteagirl on September 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Howdy, KWR ! Glad to see you !
Did you get much of Isaac ??

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I am alright, thanks for asking. I was without a phone that night and thanks to somebody who read my post I got the help I needed.

So, to whomever made the call, I will remain eternally grateful.

Key West Reader on September 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I think it was brilliant if for no other reason than this: there is no question that the media was going to attack something from Thursday night. Are they attacking the candidate? Are they attacking one of our most promising young stars? No. They are attacking an American icon who, while ridiculing the President said absolutely nothing hateful or vitriolic.

Media, please, please keep making jokes in Florida about how an elderly man must have gone senile. That is sure to endear Obama to the senior vote.

boone on September 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

This is another super tweet, via Flora Duh :

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

rickyricardo on September 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Profoundly stupid.

tom daschle concerned on September 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Exactly, tom. Look how marriage laws are doing. The abortion movement is crumbling.

And as far as the progs keeping it “under the radar” word is that the DNC convention is all about abortion. Let’s see where that gets them.

davidk on September 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

There’s a difference between the two groups? Could have fooled me.

(Sorry if someone else has already made this observation. I haven’t read all the comments yet.)

GrannyDee on September 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Just watched Eastwood in Rawhide. 1961. Over five decades.

davidk on September 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

1) How many “USA! USA!” chants will ring spontaneously out from the DNC crowd?

tree hugging sister on September 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

The chants from the DNC crowd will be, as they were in 2008, “Obama! Obama!” not “USA! USA!”

And that sums up everything.

Dark Star on September 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Good news! I was worried that no one saw it. The ratings were so bad.

But will the Democrats get a similar result from their convention?

If the goal was Florida… how likely is it Floridians will tune in to watch two weeks in a row.

I am barely planning to watch, a person can only take so much!

On the other hand the media will have the opposite reaction to the speeches, you can bet after Biden’s speech CNN will not ask everyone to explain a bogus lie for two hours and the headline the next day won’t be that Biden lied.

uggg this is frustrating.

petunia on September 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Dark Star on September 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Are you sure it is not “Pass the Bong!! Pass the Bong” instead.

bayview on September 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Oh yeah about the split… the Independent number is the important one and it is pretty darn close 29/27 in both that is good.

petunia on September 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Most? For example?

davidk on September 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Sly one that Eastwood. Just very sly. I saw it that way almost from the beginning. And I was not too please at a celebrity endorsement on the final night. But I was wrong. Eastwood was brillant.

petunia on September 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Man, that is some wonderful spin! Awesome!

ExpressoBold on September 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Evidently, you haven’t seen any recent interviews with Clint.

Unsurprising.

Solaratov on September 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I loved Clint. I must say, though, I found it sad to see one of my childhood icons becoming so old.

TXMomof3 on September 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM

boone on September 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Excellent point !
Hollywood is even suggesting that Clint advocates Obama’s murder !! I kid you not !!

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I don’t know if this has been said, but those on facebook should change their profile pick to an empty chair. Nothing else needs to be said.

Dog bites on September 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Google clint eastwood empty chair

Search

About 70,600,000 results (0.21 seconds)

davidk on September 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Don’t look now, its a war on Twinkies!

I will miss the tasty Hostess Cakes.

Unions. Making America Bankrupt

Key West Reader on September 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

New OED word: eastwooding

davidk on September 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

TXUS on September 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Actually Newhart was doing that type of act for years before the late 60s. He recorded an album of such routines in 1960:

What I remember most from the Dean Martin show were the “Golddiggers”.
:D

whatcat on September 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

As I watched him, I felt sad knowing how he was going to be trashed. He might have come across as somewhat feeble, but I have no doubt that he is still on top of his game. His physical decline was apparent, though.

TXMomof3 on September 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Cody1991 on September 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Missy on September 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I live in a red state. Even so I run into people who voted for BO just because they bought into the narrative, listened to years of Bush bashing, and they were too lazy to do their homework.

On my second stop one guy told us that he saw “2016″, and he was urging everyone to go. We got into a very animated discussion which was unheard of until recently. People were afraid to say much in a public setting.

I did something I’ve never done before after attempting to get one woman to do some research. She had loads of excuses for not bothering which I countered, and she finally admitted that she preferred to remain uninformed.

I said that if she didn’t care enough to vet someone she is hiring with her vote – for four years – she should not vote…. just get out of the way. Her eyes were like saucers.

Yes, this is anecdotal, but I’m noticing a distinct change in attitude. I find people to be fascinating, so I do a lot of observing without saying too, too much. Obviously, I’ve changed as well because I’m not holding back.

Cody1991 on September 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Eastwood did what professional comics have not had the nerve or willingness to do. He belittled and ridiculed Obama with the same careless disregard that comics have always had for Presidents until now.

Mr A on September 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Key West Reader on September 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Really glad to see you here – and happy that you’re doing all right.

(Flatfoot was one who called; and used a bit of “cop-to-cop” influence to find out if you were all right. Others called as well, but I can’t remember who.)

Solaratov on September 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

His physical decline was apparent, though.

TXMomof3 on September 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I hope that I’m as mobile as Eastwood when I’m 82.

davidk on September 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Obama’s base

tom daschle concerned on September 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Definitely worth repeating.

Really…go read this article.

Thnx for posting, Tom.

GrannyDee on September 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM

@SuzanneSomers

Clint Eastwood tells it like he sees it . He made my day!

‏@kirstiealley

I just saw Clint Eastwood’s speech and I LOVED it!! Funny as hell & on point!!..& I’m a Democrat..US media is SO biased in favor of Dems

Flora Duh on September 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Mock on, Clint!

HellCat on September 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Flora Duh on September 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Kewl!

kingsjester on September 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

What a wonderful way to wind up the GOP campaign, with jokes and tweets and photoshops about the empty chair going viral. We couldn’t have gotten a better gift. Clint, you’re a genius! Thank you! I’m feelin’ lucky.

scalleywag on September 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Others called as well, but I can’t remember who.)

Solaratov on September 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

pambi and Lanceman IIRC.

Flora Duh on September 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

KWR- it is,,, so very nice to see you back.

wolly4321 on September 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Mr A on September 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

No kidding. I can remember as a child my parents used to laugh and laugh at some guy’s imitation of the Kennedy’s. It was a whole record album. And that was over 40 years ago. Wish I could remember his name.

scalleywag on September 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Billy Jeff’s ad turned up again here in VT the other night. That’s the second Barky ad I’ve seen in a week. Why would they spend the money for airtime here?

bofh on September 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Obama wasting money? Imagine that.

kg598301 on September 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Flora Duh on September 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Quite right. Thank you.

Solaratov on September 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Nowhere to speak freely today, so I’m off-topic. Sorry, Ed.

Just watched Notre Dame thrash the Naval Academy in Dublin, and I am struck — yet again — by the astonishing stupidity of network television, in this case CBS Sports.

After spending quite a bit of their precious broadcast budget talking about how Notre Dame and Navy are different than the football factories, etc., etc., but never finding a way to say why, they blew the perfect opportunity. No…they blew an opportunity that exists almost nowhere else in college football, and all it would have taken is another couple minutes of live air, stolen from the meaningless coverage of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, which NO ONE watches.

Don’t know what I am referring to? Look it up.

CBS cameras are wide-focus at the end of the game to show both football teams, players, coaches, trainers…all converging in front of the stands where the midshipmen are standing in their dress blues. For what? For the teams to sing together, honoring the God, the United States, the Navy, Notre Dame, and all who have gone before them in this incredibly special relationship.

The sight and sound dwarfs college football. On second thought…maybe that’s why CBS bailed out.

Jaibones on September 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM