Why Eastwood? Look at the map

posted at 11:21 am on August 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

As I mentioned in my last post, I missed part of the line-up last night.  I got back just in time to see Clint Eastwood offer up one more “Make my day,” and then watch the deluge of criticism roll across Twitter.  It continues today at Time Magazine, where Michael Grunwald calls it a “train wreck,” and goes a little Chris Matthews for good measure:

Oh my. Romney’s speech sounded fine, and Marco Rubio seemed quite eloquent, but honestly, all I can think about is Dirty Harry scolding an invisible president in a chair for making an anatomically impossible suggestion. We had heard there would be a surprise guest tonight, but apparently, the surprise was a surprise to the surprise guest. You know how reporters always complain that conventions are too scripted? Eastwood was the first thing on network TV tonight, and oh, it wasn’t scripted. It wasn’t rehearsed. It wasn’t sane. …

There was one semi-disturbing moment, when Clint screamed “We own this country!” He got a standing ovation for that one, and it’s possible that the virtually all-white crowd was picking up a bit of Gran Torino you-know-what-I-mean-by-we. But I would chalk it up to incoherence rather than malice, because that was definitely the theme of his soliloquy.

The “sane” world understood that as a reference to the taxpayers as opposed to the political class, actually, and the theme of Gran Torino wasn’t a paean to xenophobia, either.  In fact, that’s nearly a direct antithesis of its message.  It doesn’t get much better over at National Journal’s roundup of reactions, either:

The reviews continue to pour in on Clint Eastwood’s appearance at the Republican National convention Thursday night, and “mixed” might be a charitable way to put it. One prominent Republican, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, said that he “cringed” at the performance.

Walker, appearing on MSNBC’s Morning Joe on Friday, echoed the sentiments of many when he said he would have preferred to see more testimonials from people talking about Romney. “Frankly I would have rather seen that than Clint Eastwood,” he said. …

Eastwood’s performance, a rambling 12-minute discourse that featured the legendary actor and Oscar-winning director talking to an empty chair that represented President Obama, dominated Twitter and other social media sites.

The Romney campaign explained it best:

“Judging an American icon like Clint Eastwood through a typical political lens doesn’t work. His ad-libbing was a break from all the political speeches, and the crowd enjoyed it.”

Perhaps the initial reaction from people came from the immediacy of the moment, and an expectation that a lifelong entertainer had come to do something other than, er, entertain.  Plenty of criticism in my Twitter feed came from people who support Mitt Romney, too.  But having watched it this morning, after all of the drama has passed, I actually thought Eastwood was … pretty funny.  It was refreshing to get that break from all of the seriousness of the three days in Tampa.  The clucking of tongues over Eastwood’s “I can’t do that to myself” as inappropriate is almost laughable, considering what passes for humor these days in the US.  Eastwood intended this to be irreverent, spontaneous, and fun. If you didn’t get at least three laughs out of that 11-minute segment, you’re taking life too seriously.

If I can riff like that on national TV at the age of 82, believe me, I’ll be happy.

One criticism is more substantial, which is that this kind of break from seriousness should have been scheduled earlier in the evening.  That misses the point of having Eastwood on the stage at all.  Michael Walsh explains it at the New York Post:

To see why the choice of Clint Eastwood as the surprise guest speaker at last night’s close of the Republican Convention was so brilliant, look at the electoral map. …

In other words, the Heartland Campaign is not simply about Electoral College votes. It’s also a way to frame the Democrats as the out-of-touch party of the status quo — i.e., Big Government — at a time when Big Government has so signally failed the average American.

If it works — and if a Romney administration can successfully grapple with the debt bomb, the entitlement crisis and growing government dependency — it could set back the Democrats’ prospects for years to come.

Which brings us back to Eastwood. In such films as “The Outlaw Josey Wales” and “High Plains Drifter,” he’s the embodiment of rugged, rebellious heartland values.

And those cranky, cantankerous, all-American voters are just who Romney & Ryan need to defeat the coastal elites and return America to its heartland roots.

Besides the Heartland Strategy, the RNC and Team Romney was using the Eyeball Strategy.  They needed to reach people who might not have otherwise tuned in to the Republican convention to see Marco Rubio and Mitt Romney.  That means putting their Eyeball Strategy in play directly before Rubio.  Now, perhaps some people who tuned in to see Hollywood icon Clint Eastwood speak tuned out after (or even during), but it’s a no-lose strategy.  They wouldn’t lose anyone who tuned in to see Romney and Rubio anyway, and there’s a very good chance that most of the people who tuned in for Eastwood stuck around for Rubio and Romney afterward.  If they did, they saw two terrific speeches and perhaps had their minds opened about Romney after Barack Obama’s summer of vilification.

That’s brilliant. As for the handwringing over Eastwood’s extemporaneous riff, I can only say this:

Update: David Harsanyi concurs:

And speaking of the mildly curious voters … Though many of them may enjoy and admire someone like George Clooney, they probably don’t relate to him. Clint, on the other hand, cuts through generations and fan bases. He’s about as close to universally liked as a celebrity can get. This is why Chrysler used his voice.  Eastwood’s appearance will do nothing to amuse those who take their politics too seriously, but he certainly lightened up what is by nature an artificial and highly-scripted event. No, Eastwood didn’t lay out an eloquent, bullet-point argument against Barack Obama’s economic policies, what he did was convey a prevalent sentiment in nonpartisan language that a lot of people who don’t care much about politics can relate to.

Morning Spew adds this:

What is most humorous is that by presenting in a seemingly unscripted manner, Eastwood masterfully uses his craft to interact with all voters in a playful, personal way and squarely hits his mark.  His performance caught the liberal main stream media off guard because they didn’t understand the intent of his speech, and so in their haste to destroy all things Romney, they’ve dutifully trashed Eastwood’s appearance.  What the liberal pundits do not realize (yet) is that by trashing Mr. Eastwood speech, they have simply helped to bring more attention to Eastwood’s message: Obama must go.

I think most people will see this is a lark, and react accordingly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

“Mitt Romney is going to raise more money than Barack Obama,” Moore told the Huffington Post. “That should guarantee his victory. I think people should start to practice the words ‘President Romney.’

right2bright on August 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM

His mission was to intro Rubio, tell some jokes, get in some zingers against Obama. Mission accomplished!

Blake on August 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM

The Won does not like to be mocked, are his minions protecting him from further embarrassment?

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Not very effectively, judging from his Iowa stops this week. And then they’ll probably let him speak read at the convention.

de rigueur on August 31, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Sort of in the camp with many others here (and elsewhere): cringed a bit, but mostly at the hesitation and disjointed delivery, which apparently was a result of a teleprompter malfunction (which actually makes Clint’s performance pretty impressive).

Also understand the timing question – first thought I had myself was “why in this slot?”.

But I can agree with Ed and most of the others defending the whole thing, and its likely appeal to target audiences.

But there were – as noted by others above – a few very good lines, and their delivery was powerful as well. My two favorites – “we own this country”, and even better, and less remarked upon: (paraphrase) “if someone doesn’t do the job, you gotta let ‘em go.”

That second one was great in itself, but was especially powerful as the previous lines were (again paraphrased) “all of you out there, Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians or whatever, remember America is the greatest country, you are the greatest”. Together those two lines are actually a pitch-perfect, “non-political” sort of statement that can hit home with many average voters. They were the sort of statements that are perfect coming from Clint Eastwood, a non-political but well-known and revered figure whose characters often delivered similar, powerful, pithy lines.

IceCold on August 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

did clint say, “if a man doesn’t work out, sometimes you just gotta let ‘em go”

did he say that last night?

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Yes. To me, that was the line that will resonate.

rrpjr on August 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Clint’s empty chair, much as the left thinks it was a disaster, was brilliant. I mean that. Obama the Unmockable has been mocked. The mock barrier has been broken down.

MaxMBJ on August 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM

this! to mock owe’bama is to defeat him. he can’t take humor pointed at him. he will come unhinged…..

Dr. Demento on August 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Obama stammers all the time and he’s considered the greatest speaker of all time (gag). Obama’s no where near 82.

I think Eastwood was using the old Jimmy Stewart technique. Bob Newhart jokingly threatened to sue on twitter last night. https://twitter.com/BobNewhart/status/241379217986707457

zmdavid on August 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM

you can really pick up on their Michigan accents

we don’t have accents in Michigan.

8 weight on August 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Eastwood was controversial. He is getting criticism. Think it bothers him?

It is easy to quibble about his appearance. I think he was on stage for about 12 minutes; would probably have been just fine if he had toned it down to 8 minutes. But, then again, would the package have suffered?

The package was great. It was a change of pace; it was entertaining. But, it was also serious. He skewered the empty chair President. He reminded us who owns this enterprise called America. He reminded us who works for whom in our Republic. He reminded us that in the real world if you screw up your job, you don’t get a contract extension.

So, mixed in with all of the rest there was a serious message. Some people got it, some didn’t.

Oldflyer on August 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Yes. To me, that was the line that will resonate.

rrpjr on August 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

i need to watch his performance again, i’d like to see what exactly he said.

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 12:01 PM

we don’t have accents in Michigan.

8 weight on August 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM

they have their own language./

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I doubt it was intentional, but think the Eastwood shtick is something liberals would do to reach voters who weren’t watching the convention. The republicans now have this viral video of Eastwood mocking Obama and explaining why “we have to let him go”. The disdain to which Eastwood showed Obama, while simultaneously not universally bashing democrats, was great in my opinion.

FreeManOtis on August 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM

did clint say, “if a man doesn’t work out, sometimes you just gotta let ‘em go”

did he say that last night?

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Yes. Yes, he did.

And — so — they are just going to come around and beg for votes every few years. It is the same old deal. But I just think it is important that you realize, that you’re the best in the world. And uh, whether you are a Democrat or Republican or whether you’re libertarian or whatever, you are the best. And we should not ever forget that. And we – when somebody does not do the job, we gotta let them go.

Transcript here.

de rigueur on August 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The left is so bent out of shape about this. Ed should have used the mushroom cloud.

I love the mushroom cloud! Unfortunately, it’ll likely have to wait for the MSNBC meltdown thread on the evening of Novembe 6.

Can I make an early request for a separate open thread for MSNBC, regardless of how this election turns out?

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM

82 year old man shows more guts than the entire Saturday Night Live writing staff.

kurtzz3 on August 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Dr. Demento on August 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

to mock him is to deliver hammerblows to his feet of clay.

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

But after all he is Clint Eastwood and “The Outlaw Josie Wales” is still the best western ever made…imho

I wouldn’t argue that. I go back and forth between Josie Wales, The Serchers, and The Magnificant Seven. Tombstone gets honorable mention for best western of the last 20 years.

crazy_legs on August 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM

And we – when somebody does not do the job, we gotta let them go.

Transcript here.

de rigueur on August 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM

thanks!!

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM

As I said last night on these august pages, Clint is stupid like a fox. He knows very well that a performance like that will be you-tubed by those who want to gleefully chortle at his supposedly disjointed old man past his prime speech. And they have been, in hordes, but Clint gets the last laugh, because those gleeful chortlers will also get Clint’s message, whether they like it or not.

I call that a huge win.

Bob's Kid on August 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Well, exactly. And as usual, the left looks like a bunch of sourpusses who can’t find any joy in life.

Their view of America is a bleak and depressing one. And when they do attempt humor it ends up with petty quips like “They are happy to have a party with black people drowning”, followed by juvenile giggles, or calling a Republican woman the c-word.

Murf76 on August 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Clint was so over the head of the pseudo educated chattering class that the SOBs were offended by his applause.

The traditionalists understood ever word of his genius performance art.

jimw on August 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Pretty much. He may have said someone instead of man but that about sums it up.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I bet Mr. Eastwood his laughing his hindquarters off today.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM

ahem…

RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.

RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.

RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones.

RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.

own it Barky

DanMan on August 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Wish he’d explained why he was addressing the chair:

“When you hang a man, you better look at him.” (Hang ‘Em High)

de rigueur on August 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM

November 6, I’m expecting the annoying pop-up ads to be replaced with pop-up Humpbot. Once it’s called of course, so like after 9:30.

Gingotts on August 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I have a suggestion for Team Romney.

Announce that the official car for the Romney-Ryan campaign is…a Gran Torino. And Romney and Ryan should drive up to every campaign appearance in the Midwest in one.

The head exploding would be epic.

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I’m 63 and I get frustrated at times when I can not come up with the right word to fit the idea in my mind. I would cut Clint a great deal of slack since he is 82. We might be older and less agile but we can think clearly. And we have seen and processed much more than the current “hip” generation(s).

wukong on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

TPM is reporting BHO’s Twitter response to Eastwood. Typically lame.

RadClown on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Clint was awesome! How’s that for cult of personality, bitch!

yubley on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

When’s that? 3, 4 years from now?

besser tot als rot on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

The President of the United States did not deserve to be treated like that.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Clint made my day! I totally loved his speech but then I have a good sense of humor.

katablog.com on August 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM

This is sweet revenge for Eastwood after getting used by Team Obama with that Super Bowl ad.

He probably walked off stage last night mumbling, “Paybacks are a b*tch, boy.”

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Have to admit I turned to cnbc after the convention just to see the reaction and they didn’t disappoint, lol. I seriously hope they’re all on BP meds, ’cause they were close to stroking out… “made my day”.

poli-nana on August 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

And we have seen and processed much more than the current “hip” generation(s).

wukong on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I believe the world is counting on it this time around wukong.

DanMan on August 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

wukong on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Heck, let’s see Obama give his convention speech off prompter at just over half Clint’s age.

besser tot als rot on August 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

this was in no ways different than one of those WH correspondent’s dinners or celebrity roasts….

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

+100 for the Warren Oates clip. RIP, Warren.

Ward Cleaver on August 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

The President of the United States did not deserve to be treated like that.

WaPo: Bush ‘Assassination’ Film Makes Waves

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

did Bush deserve having a movie made which fantasized about killing him?

8 weight on August 31, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Someone get my net!

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I think the big breakthrough moment was that Eastwood was mocking Obama without being scared. It was a powerful moment.

That being said, couldn’t he have rehearsed it a little better?

BradTank on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Maybe but his reaction was so presidential.

And my favorite line is from Mr. Treacher.

There’s no problem Obama can’t solve with a picture of Obama.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/dc-trawler/#ixzz258nzUzgF

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Brilliant, Clint! An empty chair for an empty suit.

MaiDee on August 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Too funny coming from the party that mocked Bush every opportunity they got. I didn’t hear Clint once suggest that Owe shoot himself. Nor did I hear Clint call Owe any names.

It was a JOKE with references to to Owe’s record. If you don’t like that record, you can vote accordingly this fall.

katablog.com on August 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

de rigueur on August 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Which explains the hysteria that you see in the media…I think the fact that it was Eastwood and not some mediocre histrion of the Holywood bunch aggravates the left to the point of apoplexy…they can’t forgige him for that, but they can’t attack him either, he dwarfs them in every way, his stature, his immense talent, his creative work and all….imagine how idiotic their hinting at ‘dementia’ and senility would sound (if they go there, and I am not talking about anonymous commenters on twitter of FB, but people with name recognition in themedia, gheentertaining industry, etc) when a little while ago they were ecstatic about and lavishing praise on him for that famous ad, ‘there’s half time in America’ which the left mistakenly took it for a paean to the accomplishments of dear leader who saved the auto industry…well, they were wrong, that ad wasn’t that…

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM
8 weight on August 31, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

The proper response would have been:
“Deserves got nothin’ to do with it”
William Muny
Unforgiven

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM

to mock him is to deliver hammerblows to his feet of clay.

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

thank you, thank you very much!

The President of the United States did not deserve to be treated like that.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

you are right, he should have been mocked more!

Dr. Demento on August 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I call that a huge win.

Bob’s Kid on August 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM

There’s no question he was “in role” last night, and wanted to appear to be the old, stammering man talking to a young know-it-all, arrogant whippersnapper, who “needed to be let go.” It was a magnificent performance, and one the seniors certainly got.

TXUS on August 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM

OT: I was flipping channels last night and stumbled on to some late night show called totally biased on Fox cable. It had a black comic completely dumping on the GOP and the RNCC in front of a live audience. The guy was Van Jones with hair.

It was awful, but it was interesting to see the delusion.

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM

OT: Romney Death Star now less than 12 hours from firing.

sentinelrules on August 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM

There’s no problem Obama can’t solve with a picture of Obama.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Bears repeating.

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 12:19 PM

The President of the United States did not deserve to be treated like that.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

You must have been asleep during the Bush Presidency. Ask someone to fill you in.

RadClown on August 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM

The President of the United States did not deserve to be treated like that.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

and since when is the United States a country where a politician can’t be mocked? Your view is rather a throwback to the times when you’d best speak kindly of the king else your head would roll—literally.

This is the only President in my lifetime who has called me vile names. This is the only President who has mocked me and the simple folk in this country who built it. He’s waaaaaay overdue for mockery.

Portia46 on August 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM

BradTank on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

It was perfect the way it was. I can’t stop smiling.

BetseyRoss on August 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM

On Thursday night, President Obama’s Twitter feed sent a link to a picture of the president sitting in a chair and the message: “This seat’s taken.”

Indeed, by an empty suit, the wizzard of oz, or simply a narcissistic inept peacock.

Schadenfreude on August 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM

As was written by a commenter at Ace…

A mean-spirited empty chair … could there be a better metaphor?

phreshone on August 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Personally I loved it…had me rolling with laughter. And the added bonus seems to be that it is keeping the focus on the RNC at least through the holiday weekend. And that means more free press for Romney/Ryan

JKotthoff on August 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Someone get my net!

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

You can’t use the one you came in?

Roy Rogers on August 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Empty chair, empty suit. The metaphor wasn’t lost on me.

JAM on August 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Clint’s speech was entertainment gold no doubt. It was cringe-worthy seeing an old man ramble on and wondering if he had dementia. Did Clint think Joe Biden uttered the “Go f*ck yourself remark”? I think the old timer confused Biden with Cheney. He had several other nonsensical comments that were factually incorrect which reinforced the “crazy old coot” impression. A video of the facial expressions of Mitt’s team during the speech would be priceless.

ZippyZ on August 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Morning joe hardest hit

Complained ad nauseum about disrespecting dear leader

Puhleeze

cmsinaz on August 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Maybe but his reaction was so presidential.

And my favorite line is from Mr. Treacher.

There’s no problem Obama can’t solve with a picture of Obama.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/dc-trawler/#ixzz258nzUzgF

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

So that Chavez-esque tweet by obama soon after Clint’s invisible chair piece at theConvention was for real…I wonder if he realizes the clinging to power irony…Couple that with DWS’ latest gem: ‘we’ll carry the President to the White House on the shoulders of the people of this country’….and I think we have a radiography of a party in full meltdown mode…

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM

ZippyZ on August 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Thanks for that. I hope this keeps being repeated by Obama and his media.

Seniors, are you listening?

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Do you need to be reminded that Clint is still a working actor?

BetseyRoss on August 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Obama the Presidential candidate = empty chair
Obama’s record in office = empty LA-Z-BOY (or an empty golf stool)
Obama’s missing school records = empty stool with a dunce cap on it
Obama’s Vice President = empty bar stool with Joe Biden asleep beneath it

Roy Rogers on August 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

They can’t rescind his Oscars, and half of them want to be in his next flick! You won’t hear a peep from the Tinseltown peeps.

de rigueur on August 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Sorry, Joe Biden speaks next week and Ted Kennedy is in Hell.

sentinelrules on August 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM

ZippyZ on August 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Actors typically “play off each other.” In Eastwood’s case, he was playing off Barry. Performance was pitch perfect.

de rigueur on August 31, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I liked Clint’s segment. He’s an actor, for crying out loud. A performer. I thought he sold the “empty chair” segment, even if it was corny. A politician can’t get away with that.

J.E. Dyer on August 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM

The President of the United States did not deserve to be treated like that.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Why, it was done in good humor and besides he is Clint Eastwood., he can pull of something like this ..some people are just bigger than the office of presidency, believe it or not…

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Somewhere today Clint Eastwood is laughing his a$$ off at all this hand wringing.

JPeterman on August 31, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Clint, proving it’s tough to do comedy.

O/T: Does anyone know why Obama is in Texas?

JohnGalt23 on August 31, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Uncovered:

AllahP is Clint Eastwood

Who knew?

BobMbx on August 31, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Inevitably, no matter what Mr. Eastwood said there would be the predictable criticism…which is frankly not a new phenomena to those in the acting business. He took that possibility of negative reviews to a higher level by showing up at a Republican event and speaking simple phrases that reflect the mood of those still patriotic enough to express our basic constitutional principles.

How many times have we heard these same patronizing criticisms about ourselves? A bunch a “rubes” or “bumpkins” perhaps dressed in silly costumes or weeping at our loss of liberty? Yes, “we own this country”- how irascible and indicative of someone on the edge of senility or speaking words contemptible and beneath them.

No, I think Mr. Eastwood very aptly expressed the feeling many of us possess. And in November, we are about to remind those currently serving us who is in charge.

Marcus Traianus on August 31, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You quoting movie dialog is amazing, I’m lucky if I can remember my name.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:32 PM

As Rush would say for those in Rio Linda…please Rio Linda ,we know it is tough but please try to keep up…………………lets quit doing the circular firing squad Clint Eastwoods deal was fine…compare the RNC lineup with the dnc lineup. You have baby killers speaking at the dnc and we had people who support life and liberty and an aging actor. Big deal…It was not a deal breaker and you know, when the democrats have something like this, they circle the wagons…we shoot at each other

crosshugger on August 31, 2012 at 12:32 PM

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM

November is far away but I am loving their reactions so far.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You quoting movie dialog is amazing, I’m lucky if I can remember my name.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Clint is our generation’s John Wayne and he has some of the most memorable lines of all time. By the way I’m out of bait and they’re jumping in the boat.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM

The President of the United States did not deserve to be treated like that.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

From his own mouth, Obama considers us to be his enemies and need to be punished for it.

Please re-consider your comment knowing now that he has no respect for anyone who doesn’t kiss his ass.

BobMbx on August 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM

How did these pundits who are tut-tutting Clint Eastwood’s colorful joke respond to this:

Cee Lo Green Curses, Throws Middle Finger at Obama Fundraiser Singing ‘F–k You’ [VIDEO]

They were okay with that, weren’t they?

OxyCon on August 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM

The President of the United States did not deserve to be treated like that.

Someone get my net!

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

The proper response would have been:
“Deserves got nothin’ to do with it”
William Muny
Unforgiven

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Well played!

zmdavid on August 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM

How ironic that the party that sits and listens to Dingy Harry and Joe “Gaffs” on the floor of the US Senate can tweet sarcastically about Eastwood’s “senility” and “dementia”…LOL

Strike Hornet on August 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM

When I watched it live, it was a bit “unusual”, now as I watch replays it was a moment of brilliance. It has so upset the Left because it was a take down of the President that they had never seen before. Iwas so subtle, yet so direct in Obama’s ineptness.

Tater Salad on August 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I’d like to say, too, that if Scott Walker has a problem with Eastwood’s performance, he might want to reconsider.

I know he is Governor if a very blue state, and he wants to maintain his career there, but if he ever had any aspirations for a national career, he just shot himself in the foot. I wouldn’t vote for him now, not even for street sweeper.

thatsafactjack on August 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM

ZippyZ on August 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Because you are a talentless individual who cannot recognize or understand tale t…that was a performance, what part you didn’t get….you don’t dissect a performance like you do real life politics and all, unless you are the crazy left, and this was the genius of whoever invited him there….besides, .a ‘demented old man’ wouldn’t be able to direct a movie (Trouble with the curve) to be released just before at the end of the year, would it now…

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Tater Salad on August 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM

That!!!

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM

They were okay with that, weren’t they?

OxyCon on August 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM

What is a “Cee Lo Green”? Is that another one of Barkey’s “Green Energy” scams?

Strike Hornet on August 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Clint’s appearance was amazing on many levels. And yes, it took time for it to sink in for me.

Between “We own America” and “if he can’t do the job, you’ve got to let him go” was a series of thumb-in-the-eye jabs at Obama and Biden and the Dems in general not to mention delicious payback for using him in the Super Bowl ad.

Since everyone on the Republican side seems afraid to confront President Pantload directly – racist donchaknow – there’s Dirty Harry laying out Obama for the worthless amateur he is. Without ever laying a hand on him :-D

timmytee on August 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM

And you are doing a great job.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM

We had Clint. They had Michael Moore.

It’s almost metaphorical.

Akzed on August 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM

ZippyZ on August 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I agree! That must’ve been hard to watch!!!
Signed,
~Joe “bite me” Biden

Strike Hornet on August 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM

MaxMBJ on August 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Dr. Demento on August 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Chuck Yeager breaks the MACH barrier 14 October 1947
Clint Eastwood breaks the MOCK barrier 30 August 2012

Clint’s got the Right Stuff! Not bad for an 82 year old man!

Roy Rogers on August 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I agree! That must’ve been hard to watch!!!
Signed,
~Joe “bite me” Biden

Strike Hornet on August 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Clint had an empty chair.

Biden has an empty cranium.

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I hope ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC play highlights of Clint all day (and all weekend), they don’t realize that the more you see it the better it gets. When in context of a national convention it was a bit odd, but when played by itself it is a sensational take down of the president.

Tater Salad on August 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM

He got a standing ovation for that one, and it’s possible that the virtually all-white crowd was picking up a bit of Gran Torino you-know-what-I-mean-by-we.

….And THERE it is! THAT is the Payoff Line for ALL of the Liberal Democrat Media and Obama Water-Carriers:

CLINT EASTWOOD WAS FUNNY AND “FAR TOO WELL” RECEIVED –

THEY HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO CALL HIS SPEECH “RACIST” NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY NEED TO TWIST THE MEANINGS AND HIS WORDS TO DO IT!!!

…..the only thing missing is the NYT or MSNBC “breaking the news” that Clint is the “real father” of Bristol Palin’s child!

williamg on August 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM

OT: dear leader will now visit louisiana on 03Sept

a little late to the party there champ

cmsinaz on August 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Mr. Eastwood has for decades proved he can connect and communicate with his audience…Once again Mr. Eastwood did just that last night. An older experienced American mocking Mr. Obama..the empty suit….the empty chair… It was not a cheerleading…. It was Mr. Eastwood openly mocking Mr. Obama.

No one but no one is permitted to mock Mr. Obama…

DVPTexFla on August 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM

First Obama robs Medicare, now Dems trashing Clint Eastwood, just more examples of their War on Seniors. Heh!

rhombus on August 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM