Video: Romney’s moving convention intro clip

posted at 2:01 pm on August 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

If you missed it last night, watch it now. My impression from scanning Twitter while this was rolling shortly before 10 p.m. ET was that it was almost as successful as the Oparowskis’ speech. Everyone was gushing, including liberals. HuffPo went so far as to post the clip and marvel at how touching it was.

Obvious question, then: Why wasn’t Clint pushed into the 9 p.m. hour, with the Oparowskis tapped to kick things off as the networks cut in at 10 p.m. for primetime followed by Rubio and then this vid as a lead-in to Mitt? It’s not a matter of Eastwood being a disaster. I agree with Ed that the media’s pants-wetting over him is much ado about nothing and that his chair bit will play just fine with the sort of casual voter who tuned in last night to get a first look at Romney. See Jesse Walker’s piece at Reason for a list of reasons why. Political journalists are obsessing over CE today partly because they live in a cocoon and partly because they’d rather emphasize the one dodgy moment on the GOP’s big night than Rubio’s and Romney’s speeches. (Maureen Dowd, the epitome of the shallow, solipsistic Beltway commentator, is all but guaranteed to write a column goofing on Clint this weekend.) But to say that Eastwood did no harm isn’t an argument for why he should have sucked up primetime oxygen instead of the Romney family video. The whole point of the convention was to humanize Mitt. Well, here you go. Mission accomplished. So why was it reserved for C-SPAN junkies instead of millions of network viewers? Baffling.

Comments

LOVE it.

nicktjacob on August 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Preemptive shaming. I like it.

Gettin’ in their faces.

forest on August 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Let Clint be the lightening rod for the idiots in the legacy media. This vid and the testimonials blew them away.

d1carter on August 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Saw it last night on Fox Business.

I thought it was wonderful; this needs to be a campaign ad.

John_Locke on August 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I thought the picture of Mitt watching the convention on a sofa surrounded by pizzas and grandkids was especially sweet and made him more human and affable than any of the testimonials.

lexhamfox on August 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Should have swapped this video with Clint Eastwood IMO to give it a wider audience. The clip is well done – hope it will get out there

gatorboy on August 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Allah, thank you SO much. I came in about halfway through it last night and was dismayed to have missed the first part. Now I can watch the whole thing through and show it to mr. creeper. ‘Preciate the post.

creeper on August 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

OT: Romney heads to NOLA after the convention. Obama was going to a rally in Ohio and is now being shamed into following Romney’s lead and heading to the Gulf.

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM

The candle is lit…it is up us to drive this thing home for the next 67 days. We can do this!

d1carter on August 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM

AP, all those millions…have Twitter accounts. They go to youtube. You don’t “miss” anything in today’s media age. How hard was it for you to embed that video in this post? It’s just as easy to do on our FB pages, or Twitter accounts, or blast out emails to friends and family. Again, everyone you think missed this last night, will not, in fact, miss it.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM

AP, case and point:

creeper on August 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

No one…NO ONE misses anything anymore.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM

The grandkids chasing balloons at the end of the night was really cute. Almost as good as Piper slicking down Trig’s hair in 2008.

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM

TY :)

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Good vid. After the last few days we FINALLY have a little insight into this guy and his true accomplishments (many thanks to the dastardly media). Get down to business RR and don’t forget to drill, baby drill!

ahlaphus on August 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Honestly, there is no way the networks would’ve shown that video. Or if they did, they would’ve talked over it.

changer1701 on August 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM

The MSM would have simply cut away to their punderati to bloviate about racial code words and other nonsense. The video wouldn’t be seen on the networks / cable news in either case.
Talkers gotta talk.
I think what Clint did was rather shrewd. I personally didn’t think it was as good as it could have been, but the newsies wouldn’t dare talk over his appearance. Mission accomplished.

common sensineer on August 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Tbone McGraw on August 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Romney went to NO so now Obama has to go to NO. lol!

Blake on August 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM

On MSNBC, Idiot Chip Saltsman throwing eastwood under the bus

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM

After this video played, my husband sent in his first campaign contribution to Romney. If you knew my husband, you’d understand that this is no small thing.

natasha333 on August 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Heck of a lot better than seeing some wimpy guy on a bicycle with a dorky helmet.

So how is it that Obama is considered more engaging than Romney? I don’t see it. I can see that argument with Moochelle, she at least shows a certain amount of expected care and concern towards the girls. Obama himself? He comes across as aloof and cold; all of his actions appear scripted and contrived, even when he is embracing someone or clasping a shoulder, it does not seem genuine.

AZfederalist on August 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Agree Allah

Said as much in an earlier thread…. have him before the video

cmsinaz on August 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Good point common
The networks would have talked over it

cmsinaz on August 31, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Why, oh why, oh why?
STOP IT!
We’ve got 2 months, a fired up party, and Mitt has more money than Midas to spend on ads.
Get this clip out there. This isn’t the moon landing.
Let’s go.

Sugar Land on August 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM

d1carter on August 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Exactly my comment to Mr. Jix after the convention last night.

Let’s roll.

jix on August 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I had forgotten we still have men with honor and integrity. Just knowing someone like him can make you want to be a better person.

faol on August 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

To me, the obvious question, which I said out load last night, was why we couldn’t show them BOTH? IMO, the networks should have allowed at least the last 90 minutes to 2 hours of the RNC airtime. But I guess that doesn’t fit their agenda.

ornery_independent on August 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Solid video. Any chance of having enough change to spare to buy network time like the Obama infomercial in 2008?

El_Terrible on August 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Great video. All of this brings one question to my mind. Why is it conservatives always need to be “humanized” and not liberals? It must be a creation of the MSM. I’ve never seen any attempt to humanize even the most aloof and elitist liberals, like Obama and John Kerry.

TarheelBen on August 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

OT : jay carney insists that dear leader planned his Nola trip first

Lol….. via politico

cmsinaz on August 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Is this found on YouTube, RNC, or Mitt dot com ?
Want to FB it, but using a direct link.
Some lib brats won’t click ANYTHING with even a HINT of HA, or FNC, etc etc.
Some might with a YouTube link, I suppose.
Don’t know what to search for.
TIA.

pambi on August 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM

faol on August 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

This.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Great video. Yes, yes…. I cried last night during the testimonials.

TarheelBen on August 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Exactly! BO is idolized for being “cerebral and aloof” because he’s so “brilliant”. He can’t be bothered with the trivial things in life, like 23 million citizens out of work.

We could go on and on, but BO is the guy the media wanted. They got him. They own this disaster.

There’s one thing we can be sure of….. Mitt Romney will never, ever do this:

Cody1991 on August 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Like most, my favorite part was the bit about the piece of tinfoil.

Lord love a dad.

The Ugly American on August 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Cody1991 on August 31, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I got a 404 error on your link.

TarheelBen on August 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

That was the most racist, woman-hating, richie-rich, heartless, self-absorbed, gay-baiting thing I have ever seen.

Maybe Mitt is a felon after all.

P.S., You want to know how dangerously insane liberals are? They watch that inspiring film and THAT is actually what they see.

mitchellvii on August 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I watch a video like that and I can’t believe that Obama doesn’t just give up now and save his party a little money. Barack Obama is a NOTHING, a big narcissistic nothing. How can anyone compare what these two men have to offer America, and still choose the empty suit? It’s beyond my comprehension.

BettyRuth on August 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

This vid is great, it brings something personal to the table as opposed to the wasted time with Eastwood’s gimmicky “performance”. Tell me more about the man that is going to be our president, if I wanted a side show performance I’d change the channel.

deuce on August 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I don’t think that last night is the last time you’ll see this on television.

tdpwells on August 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Yes he was the artistic embodiement of what a rMoney administration would look like. Befuddled, distracted, frail and hollow.

This place is morose crickets because of the prime time meh last night. If any of it was worth anything you’d have been posting straight through the night. Expect a +0 bounce.

tommyhawk on August 31, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Having that video play instead of Eastwood could have helped, but Mark Allen of Politico on Morning Joe today put it starkly:

“If there’s no game change, then Romney will lose.”

There is only 1 game change that I see. And that’s to stop cuddling up to the center as a strategy. Despite the specious logical sense of this strategy, people do not connect with that. You have to connect with people … on the issues; but Mitt is not doing that effectively. You can’t retract your ideological persona, and rely on platitudes to make the sell. The economy is not sufficient. You’ve got to tap into emotion, and among Dem leaning independents, there are 2 issues in which Mitt can win the race. Gay marriage and immigration. Unfortunately, those are precisely the issues Mitt thinks he should run away from. Mistake. A big mistake. A duck and cover campaign will not make it out of the gate.

anotherJoe on August 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Wow! Seriously. I am no fan of Romney’s but that video actually makes me want to rethink that now. That is a job well done.

I am thinking that this needs to be spread far and wide using all means possible. If you have to buy prime time, do it.

That black and white photo of him and his sons mugging for the camera is just flat out wonderful. If nothing else, you can see that he was a great father and his kids were/are very very lucky. That is definitely several points in his favor in my book.

Texene on August 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I’m verklempt!!

JAM on August 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Sort of OT, speaking of broadcasting schedules ….
Does anyone know if the DNC’s MUSLIMapalooza will be covered ?
Probably in full. Sigh.

pambi on August 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM

El_Terrible on August 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

That’s what I was thinking.

confident enough in fundraising to give the NRSC and NRCC a million and half a piece.

If there is a hint that he is leading, business money will come pouring in.

I’m smelling 11th hour infomercial.

swamp_yankee on August 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

This may sound strange, but after watching that, I don’t just want to VOTE for Mitt Romney, I want to BE Mitt Romney. THAT is a role model I want to follow, someone I want to be like, someone I can look up to. What a concept!

UnderstandingisPower on August 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I agree, yet I had trouble finding this video. Not on Mittromney.com as of about 2 hrs ago. Thought the vid was great and wanted to share with the family.

humdinger on August 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I was watching MSNBC along with dozens of other Americans, and Matthews angrily declared it a “failure” as soon as it ended… which means it was very effective.

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I’d be willing to bet that no matter when Mr. Eastwood was slated to go on, most media outlets would have covered that and cut accordingly elsewhere. Probably this touching video.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 3:07 PM

TarheelBen on August 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Because of the power of the Main Stream Liberal Media. Everyone laughed about the “joke” that Republicans Party while blacks drown.

Watch this John Stewart clip. That is what Mitt is up against. Unfortunately in this particular clip he just uses Mitt against Mitt mostly. Like the Olympics he “saved” with $1,500,000,000 tax payer dollars. I like the Olympics but that is a lot of money used to support an event very few could afford tickets to watch and very few could afford to compete in.

It is well known here I am not for Mitt. But it is because I know exactly how much damage will be done to the GOP as a whole by the Main Stream Media. I researched Mitt but so did the MSLM as this clip shows. The next two months will be brutal. I gurantee Obama will not mince words while attacking Mitt. Many Americans will only be exposed to what they see on the Networks and Fox. FNC will not be nice to Mitt either.

Mitt is telling a fairy tale about his life. Not the Father, Husband and Son part which is very real. But about his political life. I admire Mitts personal life to no end. But his political life was completely different than how he represents it. His sister says he is still very Pro Choice on tape for example. The reality is he raised business taxes 30% and added about as much additional cost to businesses in the form of fees. He also added the equivalent of a 2% personal income tax hike in fees. Romney saw people fleeing Mass as Governor. As this clip says he did keep his campaingn promises but it does not mention any of them because they are toxic to a Republican. He also moved very late in 2002 after the Olympics ended to Mass to run in a liberal state because he was far to liberal to possibly win an election in Utah where he owned his House as a Utah resident. He had to buy a house in Mass refile two years of taxes and pay off the man already on the Republican Ticket to abandon it for Mitt to run. The Primaries were already over in Mass his opponent had spent 6.5 million to win the Democratic Nomination and was very tattered. Mitt ran to the far left of her as a Liberal Moderate.

Steveangell on August 31, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I got a 404 error on your link.

TarheelBen on August 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Huh…. it worked for me. Try this:

Cody1991 on August 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I never voted for McCain, I really voted for Sarah.

When Ann Rommey and Paul Ryan was introduced to us, I decided I would vote for Ann and Paul.

Then, after last night’s powerful testimonials, from ordinary people like us, and Mitt’s ad with his family, Mitt finally became the candidate that I would be proud to vote for.

It wouldn’t have mattered what Mitt said after those testimonials, but I saw a stellar reverant man, that’s a credit to our American values.

Mitt truly is better than us and an advocate for the weak while he makes America strong again. I’m on board.

Typicalwhitewoman on August 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

pambi on August 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Whenever you’re watching a YouTube video embedded on a page, you can always click on the YouTube logo in the lower right and it will take you to the YouTube page where you can get the link.

Kiliman on August 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I should have said in my earlier post that I am going to vote for Romney anyway. But this video is making me think I could actually cast that vote and be happy about it.

Give me a little time here. Its a lot to process. But is it really possible that I could learn to like the idea of voting for Romney???

Texene on August 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

If you’re not watching these conventions on CSPAN, you’re not really watching the conventions. Just as you had to tap into the BBC feed to properly watch this year’s Olympics, you have to watch CSPAN if you want to see speakers, not talking heads.

Thanks for sharing the vid – much appreciated.

King B on August 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I gotta get some Dems to watch this. Maybe…just maybe they’ll open their minds.

NickelAndDime on August 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I had exactly the same thought about both of those heartwarming moments!

I also think young Liza Ryan has learned how to steal America’s hearts with a wave, just like Piper did!

You can tell alot about a candidate by the way their children and grandchildren behave. These kids clearly come from loving families!

wren on August 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

UnderstandingisPower on August 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I completely agree!

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan and their families will provide wonderful examples for all Americans, particularly for young Americans who desperately need good role models!

Let’s make this video and other videos from the convention GO VIRAL!

wren on August 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM

It wasn’t just on C-SPAN. It was shown on FNC.

aunursa on August 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM

All I know is that a guy who has so much fun with his boys that he calls them “knucklesnorts” and lets them paint his face has my vote for sure.

But seriously, I was thinking last night that the footage of Romney as a young father would have been roughly at the same time that he was folding laundry with the mother of the prematurely born daughter, or was helping the dying boy write his will. If you’ve had young children and work a full-time job, you know how little free time you have. The fact that Romney was able to be a loving father, a generous, caring friend, and a wildly sucessful businessman at the same time totally sells me on the idea that he’d be an exceptional president.

pianomomma on August 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM

No one…NO ONE misses anything anymore.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM

If they bother to look.

rayra on August 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Romney went to NO so now Obama has to go to NO. lol!

Blake on August 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Leading Concern from behind!

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I thought it was wonderful; this needs to be a campaign ad.

John_Locke on August 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

…it SHOULD be a campaign ad! Didn’t take money fixing the Olypics…Didn’t take money as Gov of Mass. ….and didn’t have someone write a book for him so he could become a millionaire!

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM

That’s how those danged Mormons get you. They entice you with kindness and charity and competence and love and the next thing you know, fifty or sixty years later, they take your soul. Damn them!
Great video, BTW. Go Mitt.

SKYFOX on August 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM

BettyRuth on August 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Because 95% of the media will fall on their swords to keep this truth from the American voters.

Ryan was my first choice for the top of the ticket. Romney was my first choice of the final four. This video makes me believe he’s the real deal, an honest, brilliant, parsimonious businessman who loves the United States and wants to make it a better place for his children and grandchildren. We’ll know if he can get past the media screen to the voters in November.

talkingpoints on August 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Wow, the more you know…

That was a very good video…

BigWyo on August 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM

The video is amazing. Show it everywhere, no matter what it costs.

captn2fat on August 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I hated it when it ended.

mike_NC9 on August 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I thought it was wonderful; this needs to be a campaign ad.

John_Locke on August 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Heh, but he did’t pay his taxes….get that, on income he didn’t make :) …sheesh, the audacity of that..

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Kiliman on August 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Thanks.
At the time I asked I was on my iPad and that messes ++ with any YouTube URLs.
Now that I’m on the laptop, I can access the addy.
:-)

pambi on August 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Steveangell–Mitt could have run for king of Utah after the Olympics. He would have won in a landslide. We elected Huntsman because of regard for his father (unfortunately). He’s left of Mitt. As for Mass. fees, what other great solutions were out there for closing a 3 billion dollar hole?

skinbad on August 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Great video!..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Found it on youtube:

Count to 10 on August 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Nice. I only saw the last 3 minutes of that on CSPAN. Thanks, AP.

J.E. Dyer on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Blessed is the man whose quiver is full. His children surround his table like olive plants, his wife a fruitful vine. Blessed is a man whose quiver is full.

elm on September 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM