Video: Marco Rubio delivers on Democrats’ worst fear of 2010

posted at 8:41 am on August 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I remember more than three years ago, in early 2009, when my good friend Val Prieto at Babalu Blog began sending me insistent messages that I needed to talk with a state legislator in Florida that wanted to run for the Republican nomination for Senate.  It was easy to scoff at that time; Charlie Crist had been rumored to want the nomination, and his 60%+ approval rating as Governor made him look unbeatable.  After a few back-and-forth exchanges — Val is not exactly a shrinking violet — we arranged to get Marco Rubio on my afternoon show.  He blew me away with his poise, his clear comprehension of conservative principles, and his eloquent manner of weaving his life story around them as a way to bring them to life.  There wasn’t a question Rubio couldn’t answer, and there was not an issue on which Rubio had not prepared.  I came away from that interview convinced that we had just found perhaps the most naturally gifted leader in the Republican Party of this generation.

Democrats sensed it, too.  When Rubio began gaining traction against Crist, they began to panic.  If they didn’t stop him in 2010, they surely thought, Rubio would one day stand at a Republican national convention and apply all of his talents on the broadest political stage and begin undermining all they done to convince Hispanic voters that their natural home was the Democratic Party.  Rubio, though, was unstoppable — and last night he delivered the address yhat Democrats had feared all along.

My Dad used to tell us: “En este pais, ustedes van a poder lograr todas las cosas que nosotros no pudimos” “In this country, you will be able to accomplish all the things we never could.”

A few years ago during a speech, I noticed a bartender behind a portable bar at the back of the ballroom. I remembered my father who had worked for many years as a banquet bartender.

He was grateful for the work he had, but that’s not the life he wanted for us.

He stood behind a bar in the back of the room all those years, so one day I could stand behind a podium in the front of a room.

That journey, from behind that bar to behind this podium, goes to the essence of the American miracle — that we’re exceptional not because we have more rich people here.

We’re special because dreams that are impossible anywhere else, come true here.

That’s not just my story. That’s your story. That’s our story.

It’s the story of your mother who struggled to give you what she never had.

It’s the story of your father who worked two jobs so doors closed for him would open for you.
The story of that teacher or that coach who taught you the lessons that shaped who you are today.

And it’s the story of a man who was born into an uncertain future in a foreign country. His family came to America to escape revolution.

They struggled through poverty and the great depression. And yet he rose to be an admired businessman, and public servant.

And in November, his son, Mitt Romney, will be elected President of the United States.

Marco Rubio will be President of the United States.  The only question is when.  Val knew it, and then he let me in on the secret early.  Now the rest of the nation knows it, too.

Bonus: Here’s my first interview with Senator Rubio in June 2009, which starts in the second half of the show.

Video streaming by Ustream

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

But, but, but…

Racism!

Wino on August 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I think Rubio has the Dems wetting themselves, just how to destroy and smear him? First thing, huddle with the media & coordinate the lies and dirt. Where would they be without each other?

arand on August 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I like what I heard from Rubio, but as the old maxim goes, “Saying ain’t doing.” Let him build up his conservative cred in the senate, see how he does, and then figure out whether it’s onward and upward or not.

Right on about the deep bench, though… Gives one at least a spark of hope, real hope that is.

CaptFlood on August 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Great poster at the babalu site linked above.. It deserves wider circulation.

BillyRuffn on August 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Rubio nailed it. Haters will hate.

ConservativeLA on August 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I’m very glad for Rubio to be President but I want 16years of Conservative Presidency from Romney/Ryan.

Speakup on August 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Out bench is deep…but I favor governors who have accomplishments over legislators who give speeches. Scott Walker was awesome in interviews and Bobby Jindal – who was doing his job this week.

monalisa on August 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I got teary eyed watching Rubio last night, especially this part of his speech. My great grandparents came here from Italy and Holland with nothing. No English, no professional skills or education to speak of. And this hit home.

I feel so hopeful now. Thank you GOP. You’ve restored my trust in our party.

RadioAngel on August 31, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Word.

Our Republic is safe in the hands of such men and women.

The American dream.

Tenwheeler on August 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM

monalisa on August 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM

They each have different responsibilities in this Republic.

We need them all.

Tenwheeler on August 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Rubio, the former House Speaker in FL delivered the most powerful speech. He appeared angry, which made the words all the more powerful. Bet he was #2 on the VP list.

democratsarefools on August 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Romney 8 years
Ryan 8 years
VP Rubio 8 years after Ryan.

Looks good to me.

faol on August 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Source please…other than the voices in your head that is.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Not sure why you are so rude, but here you go.

Urban Infidel on August 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Romney 4 to 8 years (his choice whether to seek re-election, not Democrats suddenly running someone sane & regaining public trust)
Ryan 8 years
then perhaps Rubio for the following 8

Ukiah on August 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Not sure why you are so rude, but here you go.
Urban Infidel on August 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Because Cozmo is a bitter, disillusioned individual. He has nothing but childish comments to make when anyone disagrees with him. It’s actually a bit sad. I pity him.

Wino on August 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Not sure why you are so rude, but here you go.

Urban Infidel on August 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM

A 5 month old Youtube video with 264 views and you wonder why I was rude…

You birther nutballs ain’t even tryin’ any more.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM

For the love that is all holy and for the sake of our Constitution, Rubio ISN’t QUALIFIED TO BE PRESIDENT as he’s not a natural born citizen.

rgrovr on August 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Like it or not, the 14th Amendment and many court rulings on this matter say he is. Until we can get a verbatim constitutional amendment clarifying the definition of “natural born”, let’s leave this dead horse alone already.

TMOverbeck on August 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM

He is as much a natural born citizen as the current resident of 1600 Pennsy, unless of course you are saying he wasn’t born in Hawaii. Hello?

Tenwheeler on August 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I pity him.

Wino on August 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yes dear, have another bottle.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM

This. A beautiful line that made me tear up. This was my childhood. My dad had 12 brothers and sisters and the family didn’t have two nickels to rub together. He was poor, uneducated and by no means connected. Today he owns a successful business my mom keeps the books for and is months away from retiring from a manufacturing job. This kind of thing can be done in America. Uncle Sam should only be there to be a referee and lend a hand in the most dire of situations. Let Americans do what we do best: dream, build, innovate succeed.

adurb44 on August 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I wish we were looking at a Ryan term followed by a Rubio term instead of Romney/Ryan/Rubio.
I don’t think that will work. After Romney, we will most likely have to put up a Latino candidate if we’re going to win.
Rubio gave not only the best speech of the convention, but the best political speech ever. Rice’s speech was next.

AmeriCuda on August 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

urbaninfidel

Does this mean Obama is not natural born?

teacherman on August 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Does this mean Obama is not natural born?

teacherman on August 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Oh God, here we go again. All we need is emperor norton and we can have another 10 page knock down drag out over natural/native.

dante, this is your area of nutball expertise. You’re on deck.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM

He’s got the mojo to be president someday, and if I’m still around, I can be persuaded to vote for him. Even if he never runs for president, he will most certainly be a Lion of the Senate, and hopefully will bury Ted Kennedy’s “legacy” forever.

RebeccaH on August 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Expected. You know they have therapy regimens for people with issues like you have. I said something you disagreed with, and you spent 15 posts hurling insults. I’ve seen you do it to others since then, as well. You are an immature child who deserves pity, but who needs counseling.

Now, hurl more of your puerile insults. I’ve scraped better than you off the bottom of my shoe, and I care about what you say even less than I care about what happened to my shoe scrapings after I tossed them away. You are NWOR. Too bad hotair doesn’t have an “ignore” button.

Wino on August 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I said something you disagreed with

Wino on August 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM

You wrote something stupid and I wasn’t alone in bashing you about the head and shoulders with a thorny stick.

15, are you sure about that? I must be slipping.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Let’s end this charade of only liking the Constitution when it fits us. He’ll make a great Senator and spokesman for the Republican party, but he’ll never be President – no matter how much I would love to see another hispanic conservative like myself make it to the highest office in the land.

rgrovr on August 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM

WRONG!

A 2011 Congressional Research Service report stated
The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term “natural born” citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship “by birth” or “at birth”, either by being born “in” the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship “at birth”. Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an “alien” required to go through the legal process of “naturalization” to become a U.S. citizen.

John Bingham stated in the House of Representatives in 1862:
The Constitution leaves no room for doubt upon this subject. The words ‘natural born citizen of the United states’ appear in it, and the other provision appears in it that, “Congress shall have power to pass a uniform system of naturalization.” To naturalize a person is to admit him to citizenship. Who are natural born citizens but those born within the Republic? Those born within the Republic, whether black or white, are citizens by birth—natural born citizens.

In an opinion, dated September 1, 1862, Attorney General Edward Bates dealt with a question from the Secretary of State, of whether a person born in the U.S. to two non-citizens, who is taken with them back to their country, could, years later, re-enter the United States as of right, as a U.S. citizen. Bates wrote:

“I am quite clear in the opinion that children born in the United States of alien parents, who have never been naturalized, are native-born citizens of the United States, and, of course, do not require the formality of naturalization to entitle them to the rights and privileges of such citizenship. I might sustain this opinion by a reference to the well-settled principle of the common law of England on this subject; to the writings of many of the earlier and later commentators on our Constitution and laws; … and lastly to the dicta and decisions of many of our national and state tribunals. But all this has been well done by Assistant Vice Chancellor Sandford, in the case of Lynch vs. Clarke, and I forbear. I refer to his opinion for a full and clear statement of the principle, and of the reasons and authorities for its support”

There are plenty more opinions in the same vein.

Animal60 on August 31, 2012 at 11:24 AM

@ tenwheeler – I have had to suffer through reading all the piles of crap the Birthers raise against everyone whose parents weren’t both citizens when they were born or who were born on a military base elswhere (McCain, Obama, Rubio, Jindal, etc., etc.) and the various court cases through all of US history about citizenship.
The bottom line is pretty easy to sum up – the Birthers are wrong and you are a natural born citizen if (a) if you were born here OR (b) if you were born to US citizen parents elsewhere.
PS Happersett v Minor does say what the Birthers think it does.

krome on August 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Marco Rubio makes kos cry.

A possible Hispanic President and it’s not a purple shirt wearing commie wannabe Democrat.

Moesart on August 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM

The Dems have got to be quaking in their Boots Bierenstocks right now. They’ve got nothing. Zilch. Zero. Nada.

Um, excuse me you seriously cannot be forgetting: Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

SHE is the future of the party. God help us.

sdbatboy on August 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM

SHE is the future of the party. God help us.

sdbatboy on August 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Yep, with her as the future, republicans don’t have to bring their “A” game.

Maybe that leaves an opening for pragmatic libertarians.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM

A Rubio presidency would mean the anti-immigrant, xenophobic wing of the GOP would finally be defeated. I can live with that.

ernesto on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I can live with that.

ernesto on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Bless your heart, you may get that chance.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM

ernesto on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

You never stop being catastrophically stupid, do ya?

Midas on August 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Speakup on August 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM

2012: Romney / Ryan
2016: Romney / Ryan
2020: Ryan / Rubio
2024: Ryan / Rubio
2026: USA is 250 years old!
2028: Rubio / Love
2032: Rubio / Love
2036: Love / ??

Nutstuyu on August 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Unfortunately, I fear it will instead be:

2012: Romney/Ryan
2013: Ryan/Rubio

…because the Left will become so unhinged at Obama’s defeat that, unlike after Carter, they will this time stage a successful asassination.

Nutstuyu on August 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Natural born doesn’t just mean born in the USA, it also means both parents are American born citizens. Rubio, though he is as American as apple pie and loves this country, he does not qualify.

Urban Infidel on August 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Correct.

Does this mean Obama is not natural born?

teacherman on August 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Correct.

Dante on August 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Dante on August 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM

The wizard may give you a brain…some day.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I don’t know who created the third type of citizen. I grew up and there were two types. Naturalized and Natural born. If you are a citizen and weren’t naturalized then you are natural born. Period. What other country could Marco be a natural born citizen of? Cuba? a country he’s never even visited? Please people. Step away from the kool aid.

eaglephin on August 31, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Thanks for the kind and gracious sentiments, Ed. And, if I may, I told you he was the real deal!

1600 Pennsylvania, baby.

Val Prieto on August 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM

You birther nutballs ain’t even tryin’ any more.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM

You’re just rude. It’s about what the Constitution says, not the date of the video or the view number. So by your logic, the Constitution itself is just old, outdated and irrelevant too then, right?

Urban Infidel on August 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM

@ Dante – You are completely wrong there. Entirely and completely.

Born in the US is all that it takes – regardless of parental status.

The only possible fight in that regard might (just might) be the status of one whose parents were both illegally here when the person was born (and I tend to think the courts would find that person natural born too.

krome on August 31, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Urban Infidel on August 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM

No, you’re just a true believer birther idiot who reads things into the constitution that isn’t there.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 1:08 PM

ernesto on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

what it would mean is that it existed only in your head.

exceller on August 31, 2012 at 1:12 PM

“The word “Rubio” is dog whistle-code for “RAAAAAAAAAAACIST”…”
~Tingles

Strike Hornet on August 31, 2012 at 1:17 PM

ernesto on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

So, you’re ok with our “bitter-clinging to our Bibles and Guns”, “putting black people back in chains”, “women-hating”, “Flat-Earth/Anti-Man Made Global Warming” stuff then?

Strike Hornet on August 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM

-immigrant

ernesto on August 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Shameless is as shameless does… ILLEGAL-IMMIGRATION… How about you use the right words instead of making sh*t up?

RalphyBoy on August 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Sorry but y’all can’t have our Rubio yet. He needs to serve out his time in the Senate and then be our Governor for a couple terms. That will give him experience and us a chance to see what he’s made of under a different sort of pressure.

THEN y’all can have him. :)

Video: Romney, Ryan bid farewell to Florida

canopfor on August 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I was fortunate enough to be at that Victory rally/send off in Lakeland, FL this morning Was well organized, well attended and a BLAST!

P.S. Both gentlemen are even better looking in person. hehehe

Kirin on August 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM

One thing I agreed with Rubio about was he shouldn’t be the VP nominee after 2 years in the Senate. The guy is 40 and until Obama nobody thought anyone should be on the ticket until serving at least 8 years in the Senate or 4 years as Governor. If he would have been on a losing ticket at this point in his career that would have hurt him and if they won he would be forced to run for President at 48 without a list of accomplishments. After Obama the idea you don’t have a list of accomplishments is going to be a disqualifier IMHO.

Conan on August 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM

@ Dante – You are completely wrong there. Entirely and completely.

Born in the US is all that it takes – regardless of parental status.

krome on August 31, 2012 at 1:02 PM

You are incorrect. You are describing native born, not natural born.

Dante on August 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Marco Rubio will be President of the United States. The only question is when. Val knew it, and then he let me in on the secret early. Now the rest of the nation knows it, too.

I had the same thought last night when I listened to him give that speech. He is wonderfu…I know no one is perfect, but Rubio is close.

Terrye on August 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You are incorrect. You are describing native born, not natural born.

Dante on August 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Chester A. Arthur’s father was not born in the US.

Terrye on August 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM

@Dante – follow the court cases. We find ourselves (today) in the position of “native born” being the same thing as “natural born”.

At one time, way back in old Europe, the concepts maybe, might, perhaps have been a little different. In today’s USA they are the same.

krome on August 31, 2012 at 5:38 PM

@Dante – provide one US court case explicitly stating your position (you can’t…there isn’t one). That is the main reason the birthers are 0-145 in court.

krome on August 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I love Rubio and think he’d probably make a good president but I am not willing to concede the definition of “natural-born citizen” to include one whose parents were not citizens when he was born.

I have the same problem with Bobby Jindal.

creeper on September 1, 2012 at 11:45 AM