Reuters snap poll: Romney’s likeability rises after convention — but no bounce yet

posted at 8:18 pm on August 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

The good news? Reuters’s pollster thinks the likeability numbers are more important than the actual head-to-head right now. Bounces come and bounces go but if Romney’s made real headway in how the public sees him, that might translate into a decisive shift six weeks from now when people finally start making up their minds.

The bad news? Dude, I’m nervous:

Especially notable was Romney’s boost among independents, 45 percent of whom rated him favorably, compared with Thursday’s 34 percent. Twenty percent of independents found him likeable, up from Thursday’s 16 percent…

Respondents said Romney would be more effective than Obama as president by a margin of 37 percent to 33 percent. The margin was even wider among independents, at 26 percent versus 17 percent.

Romney and Obama remain in a dead heat in most national polls of voting intentions. Friday’s Reuters/Ipsos poll had Romney with a slim one-point lead among likely voters, effectively unchanged from the day before

“It was more important for Romney to create a more positive image,” [Ipsos pollster Julia Clark] said. “Some of these softer metrics, image issues, they contribute to factors like trust that ultimately do sway some people” when time comes to vote.

So, mission accomplished. Mitt set out to use the convention to show America that he’s a good man, and it worked. If only more people had actually watched it:

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan continue to draw smaller TV crowds than the 2008 Republican Party duo of John McCain and Sarah Palin. The grand finale of this year’s Republican National Convention featuring Presidential candidate Romney’s acceptance speech and an introduction by Clint Eastwood drew a total of 25.3 million viewers last night from 10-11 PM on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News Channel, CNN and MSNBC. That was down 31% from the final hour of the 2008 GOP convention.

Ratings for Ryan’s VP speech were also way, way, way off what they were in 2008. Why the decline this time? Partly it’s a function of Palin’s star power and the historic nature of her candidacy having driven intense interest in the convention four years ago. Partly it’s because, after years of Bush fatigue, the public was excited and curious about the two new teams battling to replace him. (Note that Biden’s VP speech in 2008 actually topped Ryan’s speech ratings-wise as well.) Partly it’s because, thanks to Obama and his own historic candidacy, it was easier for casual voters to appreciate the significance of the election than it is in a cycle where Mitt Romney’s tax returns are one of the “big issues.” And partly it’s because, I think, a lot of poor suckers really bought the Hopenchange message, to the point where they thought some fresh new way of doing business in D.C. was on the menu. Now they know better and they’re jaded, so they’ve tuned out. Or at least, that’s the theory; if the Democratic convention next week does gangbusters business Nielsen-wise then obviously the GOP’s ratings are a much bigger concern than we think right now.

Exit question: Should they have had Hologram Reagan blow the roof off the joint? Clint Eastwood’s got nothing on the 3-D Gipper, my friends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

No..If Mitt Romney is like anybody, that would have to be more like, George Washington.
Unlike other candidates, the closer you look the more wow there is.
Lets do this!
Speakup on August 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Agree 100%. Well put.

Excellent conparison. I’ve thought the same thing. We have exactly the right person at the right time. He and Paul Ryan make an outstanding ticket.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 9:39 PM

People still watch these things on network television? I didn’t. Neither did most of the people I know. We streamed the whole thing live on our Xbox. That’s not counted in the ratings.

And Xbox did polls and measured people’s responses to what they were hearing and seeing, live, during the entire event.

It was amazing and shows that when people talk about “ratings were lower,” they are missing the fact that the last four years have changed how we watch television.

No more networks for me.

duanesm on August 31, 2012 at 9:39 PM

OT: According to Lies-A-Pedia, AP has a milestone birthday coming up on Wednesday.
What.to. Do. Heheheheheh.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 31, 2012 at 9:41 PM

That is a jaw dropper.

I cannot believe you wrote this. What alternate bizzaro universe of history are you writing about? His flaws not withstanding, no president is comparable to everything Washington was, what he did and what he meant to this country.

INC on August 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM

What war did Romney command?

And I don’t remember Romney help father this Country.

How can he even make that remark, since Romney hasen’t served a day in office, much less been elected

Talk about cultists…LOL

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM

What.to. Do. Heheheheheh.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 31, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Work on your evil laugh for a start.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Talk about cultists…LOL

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM

If we wanted to do that, we would talk about you.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 9:46 PM

If we wanted to do that, we would talk about you.

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Be my guest…LOL

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 9:51 PM

kringeesmom on August 31, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Honestly…C-Span is the best. Well – C-Span and following the running commentary on HotGas. Better than the “professionals”.

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I watched the RNC convention on C-Span. The lame stream media censors everything to their leftist liking. I have read online where a lot of people watched it on C-Span, or on the RNC YouTube live coverage page. These other online sources are not counted into these numbers because many of us are tired of the liberal media outlets. If everybody quit watching the lame stream media, they would go under.

KellyW. on August 31, 2012 at 9:52 PM

cozmo on August 31, 2012 at 9:45 PM

(wishing there was a way to attach audio files…I guess attaching a link to a video with an evil laugh might work.)

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Talk about cultists…LOL

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Ah, the irony :)…

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I boycotted the convention, so..

The convention was a giant fabricated Robomnetron illusion.

The GOP is NOT unified.

And that’s okay – It’s not the end of the world.

We’ve had too much unity because only through unity can you grow the debt like this.

We’ll continue to fail and grow the debt as long as these two parties slowly destroy us.

The GOP dissing and delegate/vote fraud has further fractured the GOP.

The more I think about it, the more something becomes obvious.

The Republican establishment disagrees more with the libertarian wing than it does with the Democratic establishment.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on August 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Hey buddy, watch out…..

Incoming!

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Ah, the irony :)…

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Nope, idesign has it right. Equating Romney to George Washington is so far over the top, it is laughable.

AZfederalist on August 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on August 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM

You have a valid point. The only thing uniting people right now is the fact that we can’t stand four more years of Obama. After this, fragmentation is highly likely given how the establishment Republicans are acting like democrats by changing the rules, making up rules and doing whatever it takes to keep the conservatives and Tea Party from gaining a foothold in the party. They are headed to the same fate as the Whigs.

AZfederalist on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM

So is no one in the blogosphere looking into C-SPAN traffic?

And did someone just compare Mitt Romney to George Washington? It’s like body snatchers around here lately.

Dongemaharu on August 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Agree with a lot you said about Sarah Palin, but I don’t agree that she can’t rehabilitate her image. The Sarah Palin of the ’08 convention was awesome, but she did falter with the media after that. We can say it’s not fair and complain about the double standard (what tough questions did Joe Biden get?), but other GOP stars since then, women included, have performed much better when dealing with the media, and it isn’t as if the media isn’t out to trip them up too. The SP of ’08 wasn’t ready to deal with issues deftly in the way Rubio, Christie, Jindal, Ryan, Ayotte, Martinez, or Haley can, and although she was electric with the base, she turned off pretty much every independent I know. Sad but true. But I think she has become much more well-versed on issues since 2008, and I think she also has become more politically savvy; I’m confident the SP of today would do much better endearing herself to independents than the SP of ’08. I think SP has matured such that she could get beyond her negative image from the past. However, the GOP has such a deep bench of talent that she isn’t really needed as a presidential contender. I think she should run for the Senate. Someone from Alaska has to unseat Mark Begich in 2014. SP could do that. But it’s understandable that she may not want to be a senator. If so, I think it’s fine for her to continue doing what she’s doing.

MinnesotaSlinger on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 PM

The GOP dissing and delegate/vote fraud has further fractured the GOP.

The more I think about it, the more something becomes obvious.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM

You got it!

Now if others would only put their thinking caps on!

Amjean on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Love her or hate her, that 31% was because 2012 did not have…

the CUDA!

I dig her role in brining down Rinos in Primaries too. She seems to have found her niche.

I hope to God she continues to tip the vote 5-10% to the libertarian/conservative in EVERY GOP Primary from now till the day she leaves this world.

The possibility of her ever being on a ticket again or running for office is very slim, but I still think she is just a great leader and great lady and McCain would have also lost Montana and Missouri and another 3-4% of the popular vote in 2008 with no turnout by the base.

I like Ryan too, but let’s be honest here, Palin’s RNC speech of 2008 will go down as probably one of the top three GOP convention speeches of all time.

KirknBurker on August 31, 2012 at 10:16 PM

The Republicans decided to go with a vanilla approach to their convention. On the other hand, its reported the Democrats are planning on a rocky road with sprinkles approach to their convention. It will be interesting to see which decision will pay off. Its possible after a few days of the Democratic ice cream the country might get a very bad belly ache. Depends on how much they pile it on.

I think we have to wait for the Dem numbers before any clear panic should take place. I will say though that having a charasmatic head of the ticket is a huge plus. This MIGHT be a sign of that. We will see.

KMav on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I have looked at too mnay polls at this point – Obama is not in front and it is beyond the MOE – the independent numbers for Obama are just cratering – terrible.

The economic news is terrible and getting worse. The DNC talking heads are a caricature of real people – they are a joke. No one is listening. If you didn’t have three crazy states (2 of which are absolutely bankrupt) who have decided to go all in (personally, I think we should cut off everything to California and Illinois and just expedite the financial detonation of their govts – they all should be in jail) Obama would be facing a Carter-esque blowout.

Closing question to the O-bots: What does the national democrat party stand for? Besides killing babies as often as possible, especially if they survive the first attempt. When you stand for nothing, people eventually figure that out.

Zomcon JEM on August 31, 2012 at 10:19 PM

AZfederalist on August 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Romney to Washington? That’s beyond lame as in Chris Mathews lame.

As Chrissy equates Obama to the Christ, some goofball on Hotair compares Romney to Washington?

And some idiots think Palinistas are over the top.

KirknBurker on August 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I want Romney to win really badly, but at this time I think the comparison to George Washington is laughable.

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM

And some idiots think Palinistas are over the top.

KirknBurker on August 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM

All the time..:)

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Sadly, I think conventions are probably not watched that much anymore. Sure, people can watch on C-SPAN or watch later on YouTube, but I’m guessing that’s mostly just something political junkies do. Apolitical independents probably aren’t going to watch much at all. Instead, I think they probably just catch the news spin after the fact. Obviously, it’s worse for us when the MSM filters the news, fact-checking disingenuously, leaving out the best parts, etc. But I think the convention was still a success for us, given that (1) it seems the base is pretty fired up and unified and (2) there really isn’t much in the way of gaffes or extreme rhetoric that the MSM and Democrats can successfully use as ammunition. I’m confident that any independent who decides after the fact to delve into the RNC content will become more inclined to vote GOP. And if anyone thinks Clint Eastwood embarrassed the GOP, um, no. Sure, his bit was quirky as heck, but if I were a Democrat, I’d probably prefer no one go back and watch it. I think the stream-of-consciousness style of delivery will resonate with a lot of people in a way that polished speeches can’t. One might come away thinking, wow, Clint is ready for the old folks home, but no one who is on the fence about Obama is going to come away convinced that Clint is wrong about Obama. The first time I listened, I smiled uncomfortably, but the second time, I just found it cathartic and refreshing. The Democrats can have Eva Longoria at their convention. No one will care what she has to say.

MinnesotaSlinger on August 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Maybe the drop in ratings are bcuz people don’t have the time, they’re working a full-time and a part-time job to make ends meet or they’re working two part-time jobs cuz they can’t find a full-time job or they’re working evenings cuz they can’t find a daytime job or they can’t afford cable or their TV broke and they can’t afford a new one. Or they were watching on their computers, laptops, iPads, iPhones, Androids, etc. It’s a very different world from 4 years ago.

stukinIL4now on August 31, 2012 at 11:01 PM

As to the ratings of Ryan vs. Palin, I think it must be remembered that the MSM had already branded Palin as a dope, with a daughter who was a trollop.

I think people forget just how fast that worm turned.

So, people tuned in wondering if they would see the woman fall flat on her face, which, God bless her, she did not.

As to the ratings overall, I have to agree, the media universe has changed A LOT in just the past 4 years.

I would also say that it is probably to the good if people did not watch on the MSM, because while they would have seen a lot of blah, blah, blech, they wouldn’t have seen a lot of the Republican convention.

I’ll be very surprised if the dem ratings are any better. And yes, I’ll panic if they are.

It ain’t just TV, that’s never been what’s won elections. We all need to get out and work for victory.

Jocon307 on August 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I don’t understand why some of the article writers on this site seem to be less informed than us readers- and not as intelligent.

What about the Reuters poll from monday which showed a Obama lead of 3, and then the same poll on thursday showed a Romney lead of 2?

when I took 3rd grade math- that would make it a 5 point bounce!

AirForceCane on August 31, 2012 at 11:10 PM

If the Dem ratings are better, it could be because a lot of us want to tune in to see the Abortionpolooza train wreck.

MinnesotaSlinger on August 31, 2012 at 11:12 PM

And some idiots think Palinistas are over the top.

KirknBurker

You are over the top. A foolish mittbot comparing Mitt to Washington doesn’t change that, lol. It just means he’s as crazy as the average ‘nista kool aid slurper. He’s just slurping a different flavor.

xblade on August 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I watched the convention online. The networks were horrible.

MrX on August 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM

And he shouldn’t get a bounce. He’s a lib as well as half the clowns that were up there speaking at the convention. For most of the time, I couldn’t tell if it was the Republican Convention or the Democrat Convention. Unbelievable to me that many on here get excited about the lib Romney.

air_up_there on August 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Count me as someone who didn’t bother to watch much of the convention. Part of it is that it’s just more convenient to watch selected speeches on YouTube after the fact. Why should I bother watching a tightly-script convention live? I’ll watch what I want to watch on my schedule, thank you very much.

The other issue is that conventions and convention speeches have become quite boring. Thanks to political managers, speech writers, and teleprompters, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME AND ALL BORING and ALL ANNOYING

Here’s every single speech from this week (and the next):

* Speaker looks to the left, reads teleprompter
* Looks to the right, reads teleprompter
* Looks straight ahead, reads teleprompter (makes emotive gesture with his/her right hand.

* Repeat for 10 to 15 stupefying minutes until …

* (last 10 seconds) look straight ahead, increase your volume. raise your hands. yell something about VICTORY and then leave the podium to rapturous applause.

And the content! Look, I’m sure you love your:

mom/
dad/
grandfather/
Aunt Tess/
pet goldfish Stanley/

and I’m sure he/she/it taught you to:

love your country/
work hard/
overcome adversity/
straighten up and fly right/
sniff glue/

and I’m really impressed that he/she:

drove a school bus at 4am each day/
baked bread starting at 3am each day/
drank raw sewage at 2am each day/
killed lab rats with his laser eyes at 1am each day/

and I share your belief that:

America is the greatest country in history/
Americans can do what they set their minds to/
American means “I can”/
the Packers are God’s gift to football/

but could you please please please put away the d*mn teleprompter. Leave the family history stories in the family album and communicate real ideas and real solutions??

Rant mode off. slowly Increasing My VOLUME AND!!! ENTHUSIAM!!!! THANK YOU AND GO BLESS HOOOOTTTTTT AIIIIRRRRR!!!!!!!

PackerBronco on September 1, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Okay… there is not a more strongly committed Romney voter than me. Therefore:

Comparing Romney to Washington is way over the top!!! Stop it right now!

We must guard ourselves… if the Obama, Palin, RonPaul supporters have taught us anything, we have to guard against worshipping Romney! He is a man, just because he is always sucessful, does not mean he can’t fail. And he is due sort of, nobody suceeds at everything.

But your point about layers is accurate. There are sooooo many of those compasionate stories… I have heard probably twenty similar stories. And I sincerely hope they make ads out of them.

I tend to find the deifying of humans one of the most appalling actions people can do. Please, keep perspective.

Isn’t that stadium footage of Obama worshipers from 2008 scary? Let’s not do that, okay?

petunia on September 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM

fatlibertarianinokc on August 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM

So do you approve or disapprove of the Ron Paul folks stealing the votes of actual Americans who voted and then had their votes nullified through lies and deception?

Some libertarians, more like Totalitarians…. can’t stand the will of WE THE PEOPLE, they can’t win with voting… so do away with voting!

There are no Libertarians in this country… only folks waiting to take away all our rights in the name of Ron Paul.

petunia on September 1, 2012 at 12:10 AM

No more networks for me.
duanesm on August 31, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Excellent point. I had to upload a video to YouTube during Romney’s speech and noticed the big alert about watching his speech live on the site.

Lord of the Wings on September 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM

air_up_there on August 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM

But you can’t get enough people to vote the way you want so you will steal a state delegation to force people to do things your way.!!!! Forget the voice of the people… that’s way too messy for Ron Paul people!!!! You fakers.

What is more liberal than that? Ron Paul is exactly the same as the Bolesheviks and Minishiveks in Russia 1914. Lie and decieve your way to power!!!!

I now hate Ron Paul.

petunia on September 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM

gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Wow, looking for a polling bounce less than 24 hours after Romney spoke? Not too bright, are ya?

joejm65 on August 31, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Gumby is a shameless Obama supporter (i.e. paid Axelrod troll). That alone identifies him as not too bright.

Right Mover on September 1, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Thank you for pointing this out Allah.

But guess you could not bring yourself to mention her name. It is an absolute disgrace that she was not invited just because she would have mentioned the Tea Party. A huge mistake that Tea Party was not allowed to be mentioned in this convention. Inexcusable that the Tea Party three full buses were locked out when the most important vote occured and criminal that the rules were broken to force two rule changes. Priebus is a Dictator unworthy of democracy. He should be shipped off to Cuba.

Steveangell on September 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I’m feeling very good right now.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 9:06 PM

…do you ingest it…or inject it?

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Steveangell on September 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM

..oh oh!…I agree with you!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM

petunia on September 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Yes, you are right. You are someone I have always admired on this site, and you make important points here.

Some of us do feel very strongly that we need Mitt right now, so it’s easy for us to get carried away.

A potential Romney presidency holds so much promise, and I hope so badly that enough swing state voters come to the right decision in November.

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM

fatlibertarianinokc on August 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Spot on. Conversely, the establishment types are more venomous towards Paul and the liberty movement, who should be their ideological brethren, than they are towards Obama. Establishment GOP are statists. Some people here refuse to accept the cold hard truth that the RNC prefers the dems to liberty, because the liberty movement is actually serious about greatly reducing the statist apparatus. The establishment types aren’t bothered by a large central govt in the abstract, as long as they get their turn to be in charge of the behemoth.

iwasbornwithit on September 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

After the freak show in Charlotte, NC I won’t be surprised to see Romney/Ryan up by 5 points minimum.

SouthernGent on September 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM

iwasbornwithit on September 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Why I as a Conservative see Mitt as a greater Evil than Obama.

Steveangell on September 1, 2012 at 2:44 AM

People need to understand that just because ratings dropped for the RNC show on TV doesnt mean people missed it.

The Speeches and such are on Radio, front page of USA TODAY AND DETROIT NEWS.
People will hear about the speeches and wbat happened during the RNC show.

Whether it is the 2+ million on Paul Ryan’s Facebook page or the thousands on Twitter.
Pauls speech and other performances get trumpeted in so many ways.

So this whole “too bad nobody saw it garbage” is just that untrue garbage.
Pay attention that media outlets aplenty are blasting the RNC convention days afterwards.

Varchild on September 1, 2012 at 3:34 AM

GOP convention ratings down 31 percent from 2008?

No Sarah Palin or Fred Thompson?

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 1, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Internet.
Wonder how much less TV viewing in general is down from 4 years ago? In our house TV viewing has dropped 75-80%; each of us has their own computer (plus iPads & smart phones) and fast internet.

I watched the convention speeches the next day on YouTube.

Plus I would guess that 95+% of the voters have already made up their minds.

The only way the Democrats can spice up viewing rates is by interspersing big name music acts in between speakers.

albill on September 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM

We don’t need a bounce, any more than we need another slick “rock star” politician promising a chicken in every pot. What we need is a steady, if slow acknowledgement by the voters that Romney and Ryan represent a realistic and honest path towards fiscal sanity.

tpitman on September 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Down 31%? so I’m not the only life long republician that didn’t watch this dog and pony show. Maybe if the Tea party wasn’t banned from being uttered at the RNC things would have been different. guess those “independents/moderates” didn’t make up the difference from the lack of conservatives watching.

so no bounce, lower ratings but Mitt is going to win because Obama is “real bad”? sounds more and more like the John Kerry campaign.

unseen on September 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM

tpitman on September 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM

wow nice spin. Fact is that almost every campaign gets a bounce from their convention. the fact that Mitt got zero is very troubling. And means that “voters are NOT doing a slow acknowledgement of Mitt and Ryan.” In fact it means voters didn’t watch nor care about Mitt. If they can’t be bothered to turn on their TV’s why would they be bothered to turn out to vote….oh wait I know because “obama is real bad”. don’t think that dog is going to hunt xcome election day. Obama will play nice and not make waves from now until Nov and his negatives will go down just like Bush did in 2004.

Unless Mitt and Rya ramp up the campaign and give people like me a stronger reason to vote for him then “obama is real bad” then many will simply stay home

unseen on September 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I was uder the impression that the Tea Party was not affiliated with the GOP or the Dems..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I was under the impression that the Tea Party was not affiliated with the GOP or the Dems..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Why I as a Conservative see Mitt as a greater Evil than Obama.

Steveangell on September 1, 2012 at 2:44 AM

The MOST conservative thing any conservative can do is this:

We MUST re-elect Obama so that we can impeach him.

Now THAT is conservatism.

tom daschle concerned on September 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

tom daschle concerned on September 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

rofl..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

waiting to see mitt speak in ohio. crowd looks dead. there’s no bounce in their step.

renalin on September 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

fatlibertarianinokc on August 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM

iwasbornwithit on September 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Another one who gets it! There might just be hope in this world.
Of course, the majority of the Tea Party types also get it which
is why the GOP repub estab and the Romney folks had to pull
“Obama thug tactics” to change the rules in their favor.

Amjean on September 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I watched on C-SPAN (and I recommend that everyone should if they subscribe to cable or satellite). I don’t see numbers for C-SPAN in the ratings.

Also, millions of people don’t subscribe to cable/satellite because of financial hardship, disinterest, or they killed their cable and get content online. They streamed the convention on the Internet or on an Internet-enabled device (slingbox, XBox) to their televisions. Those viewers are not counted in the ratings.

I have cable and a slingbox, and if it weren’t for wanting to watch live news broadcasts, I would have only the slingbox. I’m sure that eventually I will be able to do this, even if I pay a small monthly fee to hulu or another service. Cheaper than cable.

Philly on September 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

*waves at Dr Tesla*..

Dire Straits on September 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Why I as a Conservative see Mitt as a greater Evil than Obama.

Steveangell on September 1, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I agree.

Amjean on September 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

PBS viewers also are not counted, apparently.

Philly on September 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

The excuses as to why Palin’s speech for the
VP nom received almost double the viewership than Paul Ryan range
from –

During Ryan’s speech:
1. My wife sent me out for a loaf of bread, got caught up in the beer aisle picking out a specialty brand and missed it.

2. My mother made me clean up the dried up peanut butter sandwiches and apple cores in my room in her basement.

3. Don’t have cable any more and forgot I could catch it on
ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, etc.

4. Football was on

5. My wife didn’t have a headache and I just had to take advantage of it as the opportunity might not present itself for
another few months.

6. I watched it on my laptop and so did 20 million others which is why our viewership didn’t count.

Face facts, Mittbutts, there is no excitement generated by the
Romney campaign. Most people are voting, not for Romney, but against Obama anyways.

Amjean on September 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Amjean on September 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

even with a turd like carter, it was almost till the end when the people decided to vote for Reagan.

romney’s no Reagan. my hopes are not high that he’ll be able to take down obama in the debates. we are so screwed.

renalin on September 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Amjean on September 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

7. Europa was lined up with Ganymede and, like, at least a few thousand people were watching that instead. Europa was definitely NOT lined up with Ganymede in 2008!

Dongemaharu on September 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

listening to mitt romneys 5 point plan the children, the energy the blah blah blah.

it was completely indistinguishable from obamas plan.

renalin on September 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I watched the convention on my computer, my ps3. It’s not that people didn’t watched the convention, they used other ways of watching it that doesn’t register in the ratings.

jaboba on September 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I have to say as someone who is sympathetic to a lot of Dr. Paul’s ideas, the constant whining by his supporters (worshippers?) really turns me off.

blue13326 on September 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

The reason more people tuned in for Palin was that she is a true conservative who would not have voted for TARP or The Rx entitlement. Palin was a very clear contrast to the Poseur in Chief and we can all clearly see that. We conservatives were thrilled that she was on the ticket and showed it with our support. R/R not so much… This RINOfest convention was an “f” you to conservatives and the TEA Party…we were dissed and uninvited so why tune in?

CCRWM on September 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

jaboba on September 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Sure like we couldn’t stream it on our PCs in 2008…yeah right

CCRWM on September 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM

bob77 on September 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

CCRWM on September 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Very well said.

And just wait until Romney takes office (if he does). Palin
and the rest of we conservatives are not sitting down and shutting
up. If anything, we will be yelling louder after the crapola
Romney and the repub estab pulled at the convention.

There is only ONE reason Romney wants to eliminate the voice
of the conservative vote – because Romney is a liberal.

Amjean on September 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Many people are “cutting the cord” with Television. They are not watching the cable networks or broadcast TV. I was listening to Mark Levin yesterday and he missed something pretty important. He said that there was no way millions of people are watching streaming Internet. I say “yes they are” but not in the way Mark thinks they are. They aren’t watching on the Internet with their computer. They are watching on the Internet with their TV’s, DVD players and boxes such as Roku.

You could watch streaming convention coverage on YouTube with a Roku box and never show up in any ratings.

crosspatch on September 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I did not watch it. The republicans have not one thing to offer me this election cycle. Not one thing. They will not cut spending. They will not get rid of the mandate, as is blatantly clear by their choosing Mitt I-Like-Mandates Romney as the standard bearer. They plan to replace Obamacare, but no idea with what, but with Romney having the final say through his veto pen, it is going to be similar to Romneycare. The only thing making Romney not advocate for the mandate at the federal level was the fact that he thought the Supreme court would find it unconstitutional, now he does not have that worry. They will not reign in the feds printing money to feed the Goliath of government, as I said, they do not have any cuts planned, so they need every stolen penny they can get from future generations that will be loaded down with the burden.

astonerii on September 1, 2012 at 3:11 PM

The bad news? Dude, I’m nervous:

That you’re “nervous” hardly qualifies as news anymore, does it?

cicerone on September 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Good grief, peeps !
The ONLY comparison to Washingto was the minute consideration that the more you look at the dude, the more you see that you like.
NOTHING comparing stature or histories.
Talk about knee-jerking… LOL.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM

May I suggest that any HotAirians planning to watch the DNC do so via cspan, so the count stays SUPER low >
Even YouTube has counts, no ?

Muuwahaha.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I was VERY pleased to watch about twice as much of the convention than I ever have, online, sans talking heads.
Even IF their stories were similar, it was great to put faces to names I’d heard extolled in the past, and we found out just how successful they’ve all been using conservative ideals, goals and practical budgeting.

If I watch ANY of the DNC, it’d be to ROFLMAO, certainly.
HAHA.

pambi on September 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

There will be no bounce,2012 was Romney’s saying of the heck with you conservatives! The only reason if he’s leading the polls because of the ABO factor. Other than that, Romney is an Obamalite.

donyalola on September 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

petunia on September 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM

You are someone I have always admired on this site,

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Facepalm.

SparkPlug on September 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Perhaps many of us were watching the event online at RedState, rather than on network TV.

Why should we contribute to their ratings?

SJBill on September 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Another opinion:

Why Romney will regret ignoring the Tea Party at the GOP Convention

The drama in national political conventions was removed many years ago when both parties gradually went to the primary system to award delegates. This replaced the corrupt, though far more interesting, practice of party bosses in smoke-filled rooms making many of these decisions at the last minute. This had the benefit of providing an element of suspense to these quadrennial meetings which is utterly absent today, resulting in higher television ratings.

Despite this lack of suspense, the reality is that both parties still rely on these contrived “shows” to get their message out to voters. Politics isn’t salient to most people most of the time, and the massive free media coverage the major television networks provide is indispensable in each party’s effort to capture the attention of the vast majority of people who don’t live and breathe politics every day. For that reason, both parties do, or should do, all they can to maximize interest in their convention in order to reach as many people as possible during this fleeting window of opportunity. In this endeavor, the Romney convention fell woefully short.

Nate Silver has written a piece in which he presents data that indicate a 68% correlation between a television ratings and “convention bounce”, and that a statistically significant amount of a candidate’s bounce can be explained by those ratings:

In laymen’s terms: The greater the number of viewers, the greater the convention bounce. Even though the sample size is small, there’s no reason to doubt this conclusion since it’s consistent with common sense. Assuming we can agree on the proposition that more convention viewers translates into a greater convention bounce, shouldn’t the Romney campaign have endeavored to attract as many viewers as possible, especially in a year in which the Democrat convention follows the Republican convention which will likely erode, perhaps even eliminate, any convention bounce the Mittster receives? A rhetorical question, I know, but apparently not for Team Mitt.

In a recent post, Stacy noted that 17 million fewer viewers tuned in to night two of the GOP convention than did four years ago — a staggering 41% drop. And this after viewership on night one was about the same as four years ago. Night three wasn’t much better, as Mr. Etch-a-Sketch drew about 9 million less viewers than John McCain in 2008. Overall, as Silver notes, ratings for the final two nights of the convention were down about 30%. That’s huge. Some of the fall off is predictable, and can be attributed to such mundane factors as the overall decline in the importance of television, Hurricane Isaac, etc., etc. But I can’t see a scenario where these factors, even if combined, could explain any more than a small fraction of the loss in viewers from one convention to the next.

The fact is there’s simply little excitement or interest in Romney. Conservatives don’t trust him, and many consider the Mittster to be little more than a “placeholder candidate” (myself included). Persuadable blue collar Democrats and Independents, who’ve suffered as much as anyone under Obama, remain deeply suspicious of Romney (fairly or unfairly — it doesn’t matter which) and view him as a fabulously rich corporate raider with whom they have nothing in common. Romney’s handlers labored mightily to soften this image and show Mitt’s warm and fuzzy side at the convention, but they don’t seem to have grasped the fact that in order to persuade people, you must first get them to pay attention.

In Thursday night’s interview with Sean Hannity, Governor Palin noted that the Mittster needs to “quit preaching to the choir” at Fox News and expand his appeal to those blue collar workers — the so-called Reagan Democrats — who generally live their lives conservatively and don’t consider themselves political animals:

“We need to talk to the independents out there in America, the hard-core patriotic American who wants a job,” she told Fox News’ Sean Hannity, adding that the Republican presidential nominee has to reach out as well to “Reagan Democrats who are not obsessed with partisanship” and want to know, as President Ronald Reagan used to say, “that our best days are in front of us.”

“That’s who we need to reach,” she said.

The Nielsen data underscore Governor Palin’s concerns. While Fox’s night three ratings were only down 2% from 2008, the ratings at the other networks were down dramatically for Romney’s speech:

Compared to the final night of the 2008 RNC it was a different story however. Fox News was just about flat compared to 2008, losing around -2% of its viewership, while NBC (-56%), ABC (-26%), CBS (-30%), CNN (-52%)and MSNBC (-25%) were down mid double digits.

Thus, Romney did fine with the Fox News viewers, the majority of whom will vote for the Republican candidate anyway, even a nominal Republican like Mitt Romney. But viewership plunged an average of 37% at the other 5 networks. Excluding MSNBC, these are the viewers Romney needed to reach out to and persuade. But he can’t persuade anyone unless he gives them a reason to tune in. He didn’t.

It’s inconceivable that Romney’s myriad consultants and handlers aren’t aware of Mitt inability to create enthusiasm or passion, yet they did nothing to compensate for this. They failed to reach out to, or even acknowledge, the Tea Party which is where all the excitement and passion on the right exists. More importantly, many of the Independents and Reagan Democrats to whom I referred above sympathize with the Tea Party movement. Even less, to say the least, are enamored with Obama.

And yet, as far as I can tell, the Mittster banned the phrase ”Tea Party” from the dais in Tampa. Does anyone believe that Governor Palin, had she been allowed to address the convention in prime time, wouldn’t have generated more enthusiasm — and viewers – than anyone Mitt deemed worthy of such a speaking slot, including himself? I like Paul Ryan, but as The Week points out, Paul Ryan is no Sarah Palin:

The 2008 convention had one big attraction the 2012 one didn’t — Sarah Palin. “As a Republican National Convention speaker, vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan isn’t nearly as much of a draw as Sarah Palin,” says The Associated Press. Between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. on the night when Ryan made his big debut as Romney’s running mate, there were 21.9 million viewers tuned into the nine broadcast and cable networks airing the action. Four years ago, when Palin burst onto the stage and into national prominence as Sen. John McCain’s veep candidate, there were 37.2 million Americans glued to their sets.

Think about this: Romney essentially conceded millions of viewers so that he could distance himself from Governor Palin and the Tea Party movement. That’s a hell of a price to pay. And for what? What’s the benefit? Is he trolling for Chris Matthews’ vote? Does he expect MSNBC to suddenly say nice things about His Mittness? I don’t get it. If there’s anyone who does, I’m all ears.

To be clear, I’m by no means suggesting a ”Romney-Palin” ticket. (My personal opinion has always been that the further Governor Palin can distance herself from Romney and Romneyism, the better.) But had the Tea Party movement in general, and Governor Palin in particular, been given prominent roles at the convention, far more people would have tuned in to Mitt’s big show.

Here’s a random thought: How about 2008′s VP nominee delivering the introductory speech for 2012′s VP nominee. I’m certainly not as brilliant as the Mittster’s “expert” handlers, but wouldn’t something like that have created far more interest – and viewers – for his convention. To be sure, though Governor Palin would have undoubtedly brought in many more viewers, it would have been up to Ryan and Romney to keep them.

In any event I think it’s safe to assume that fewer convention viewers due to less enthusiasm in Romney will result in a smaller bounce for the GOP than should have been the case. Furthermore, this smaller bounce will be more difficult to maintain in the face of the inevitable bounce Obama will receive from next week’s Democrat convention. I don’t see how this can possibly benefit Republicans in November.

ChuckTX on September 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

So if I read the comments correctly, anybody who calls themselves a Tea Party person or conservative is now an ardent supporter of Obama. Nevermind that TPM favorites (with the exception of the truly insane Ron Paul) endorsed Romney’s candiacy, I guess some folks are just so ideologically pure they don’t want to see some “RINO” get elected. That’s only what I can surmise with all the true hatred I’m reading from people who claim that they want to see Obama have only one term.

And BTW, it was genius of Romney that went straight to Louisiana. He forced Obama to cancel a rally in Ohio to visit the area himself on Monday when it was clear he had no intention of doing anything of the sort. This is the tactic that shows Obama is in for a fight that he didn’t have in 2008 with the ossified John McCain.

Happy Nomad on September 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Internet.

I watched the convention speeches the next day on YouTube.

Plus I would guess that 95+% of the voters have already made up their minds.

albill on September 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Oh, come off it. It’s not as if computers, the Web and broadband access didn’t exist in 2008. I guess you’ll have to revise Palin’s ratings upward as well.

ddrintn on September 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM

xblade on August 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Bullshit. You wouldn’t have said anything about the “foolish Mittbot” had someone not pointed out how truly cultish some ‘bots are. I haven’t seen many of us ‘nistas putting the Washington mantle on Sarah. Hell, we’re constantly drerided as “cultists” if we even dare to point out some similarity or other to Reagan.

ddrintn on September 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Hell, we’re constantly drerided as “cultists”
ddrintn on September 1, 2012 at 7:23

That’s because Obama-supporting, Sarah Palin-worshiping fake conservatives like you ARE cultists who worship in the church of St. Palin the Victimized.

Even Palin would be embarrassed of people like you. You give this site a bad name.

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

ChuckTX on September 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Would you Sarah Palin fanatics please quit spamming this site with full copied and pasted articles? That is extremely rude and a violation of your commenting privileges. Enough is enough. The way you people bash Mitt and campaign for Obama (because you think it will somehow help your heroine Sarah Palin) is a disgrace.

No wonder real conservatives who know we must defeat Obama are sick of you clowns.

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

bob77 on September 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Very nice. We still have a ways to go, but we WILL win this.

Go ROMNEY/RYAN!

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

You give this site a bad name.

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

No, it’s you idiotic Mittler Youth cultists that have been driving people away. Take a look at the site statistics over the past year if you have access to a service of that sort. Not pretty. The decline pretty much coincides with the sudden influx of ‘bots. You can’t get ratings on TV OR on the ‘net. Or, you will find, at the ballot box.

Unlike other candidates, the closer you look the more wow there is.
Lets do this!
Speakup on August 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Agree 100%. Well put.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 9:39 PM

LOL…

ddrintn on September 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

ddrintn on September 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Ddrintn, things aren’t looking so good for your guy Obama, so you have to come on here and trash conservatives who support our Romney/Ryan ticket. Maybe doing so makes you feel better and forget about Obama’s impending loss for a few brief moments, but you better start practicing saying these words: President Mitt Romney.

Taking a look at your trollish, Obama-supporting antics on this site, it’s no wonder the genuine Sarah Palin supporters shun fakers like you who try to bash Romney and Ryan in Palin’s name.

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

The “anybody but…” strategy has been, and always will be, a failed strategy. There will never be enough voters needed to turn out to vote “against” Obama.

Of course hardly anyone watched the convention. The mere thought of Romney sickens most.

Of course 2008 had more viewers, mainly Leftists watching to see the Palin clown fall on her face.

nottakingsides on September 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM

ddrintn on September 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

YOU are not a conservative. Neither is Mitt. I suggest you
start practicing these words: “Liberal RINO President Mitt
Romney”.

No self respecting conservative would be a Mittbutt.

That said, it is still ABO for most of us.

Now it is time for your date with Petunia.

Amjean on September 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

“Rassmussen has a bump. Romney now LEADS Obama by 6 Nationally and also leads in Swing States. Should reflect bigger bump on next polling to account for full convention viewership days.

That’s just wrong. Rasmussen has Romney up by 3 and his swing state tracking is tied.

gumbyandpokey on September 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM

NOTHING is gonna change. Nothing. Watch. Invest yourself emotionally in it. I can tell you, it’s a letdown. But it’s not gonna happen. The best you can hope for is that he gets to ride out the inevitable end of the economic holdback and that people don’t have to care.
Boomer_Sooner on August 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Do you remember what it was like during Ford and Carter? It seemed as if there was really no way the “stagflation” and chronic unemployment could ever be eradicated. Reagan got the government off the air hose of economy and the rest is history. Romney will do that for the energy sector, which has been tied down, like Gulliver on the beach, since the ’70′s. The teachers’ unions have strangled public education going back to the ’60′s. School choice will produce explosive improvement in education. It’s worked everywhere it’s been tried. It was working in DC before Obamsky put the kibosh on it. If the economy grows fast enough deficit reduction will become much more of a possibility. Don’t be so cynical. Did you ever dream the Berlin Wall could come down? Me neither. The fact that it did changed forever my sense of what’s possible. So I’m cautiously optimistic here.

smellthecoffee on September 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Exit answer: No. Having a ghost deliver an old speech from the past is not as effective as having a living American icon make ridicule of Obama finally permissible.

Clint Eastwood has a lot of guts. Guess that’s how he portrayed all those gutsy roles so convincingly.

The Resolute Desk on September 1, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Screw bounces. It’s about slow, steady climbs… just like a good, enduring economy.

princetrumpet on September 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

You’re not one to talk.

You were the most egregious shill for Romney on this entire site, all during the primaries, while other candidates, whom many of us supported, were still contending for the nomination. No matter what Mitt did, you spammed Hot Air unmercifully with paeans to the blinding perfection of Mitt Romney. You were conspicuously intellectually dishonest with the rest of us who were trying to honestly vet the candidates. You may as well have been a paid advertisement here. I think you badly abused this site by giving it an apparent pro-Romney tilt, and Mitt won every debate, if folks read your scorecard. I think you should have been banned as a spambot.

I really don’t want to hear you calling the kettle black. Either you’re blind to your own lack of intellectual integrity, or you are a paid shill for Romney, and have been since the beginning of your tenure here as his barker.

Sorry to slam you so bad, and I’ve bitten my tongue on you for months now, but watching you lecture others for doing something you did incessantly in spades is sickening.

cane_loader on September 2, 2012 at 12:18 AM

No self respecting conservative would be a Mittbutt.

Amjean on September 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I would bet money that the Romney Campaign told Ailes if you want us on your network
you had better rid yourself of Palin.

Amjean on August 30, 2012 at 9:51 AM

There will never be enough voters needed to turn out to vote “against” Obama.
nottakingsides on September 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM

People on this site are well aware of what you obsessed Sarah Palin fanatics, lefty concern trolls and your Obama-supporting allies are trying to do with your transparent Mitt-bashing comments and idiotic conspiracy theories (e.g., “Fox News is out to stop Palin at the behest of the boogymen GOP elites, blah blah”). We get what you people are, and guess what: it’s not working and it’s not going to work. You handful of sad people are simply trying to create division among conservative ranks in the hopes of hurting Paul Ryan and Mitt and helping Obama. Sorry, ain’t gonna happen. Not this time. Not this year.

Conservatives, tea partiers, indepdents and even many discerning, smart Dems are well aware of the fact that Obama MUST be defeated by our electing Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. We are strongly united in support of Romney/Ryan, and your attempts to divide us will continue to fail. :-)

Both Mitt and Paul gave excellent speeches at the convention, and however much you Obama-supporting trolls want to pretend otherwise, things are NOT looking good for your boy Obama’s chances in November.

We all know very well that anyone not voting Romney/Ryan is simply supporting Obama/Biden’s chances at reelection. It’s very easy to understand, and we WILL make sure that Obama does not get a second term.

bluegill on September 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I just got through watching most of the speeches again on-line.

Many of them were so profound and uplifting that I once again have hope for this country.

I know many of you just want to think that it’s all BS, and maybe you’re right. But I rather buy the Repub BS than the Dem’s.

Sorry, I’m feeling very American right now, and it makes me happy!

ccrosby on September 2, 2012 at 12:32 AM

e_loader on September 2, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Yes, we are very proud to have throughout the primaries supported Romney, who will be an EXCELLENT president with Vice President Paul Ryan. No matter who you supported during the primaries, we’re all on the same team now and the name of the game for all of us is the same: defeat Obama.

We ask that people like the poster ChuckTX please not copy and paste full articles here from other websites. It’s spamming, it’s rude and it shouldn’t happen. Besides, you think we’re just going to say nothing while these people come on here, in hopes of hurting Mitt and helping Obama, and spam the site with pages upon pages of anti-Romney articles copied from other sites? No way, no how.

bluegill on September 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Sorry, I’m feeling very American right now, and it makes me happy!

ccrosby on September 2, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I felt EXACTLY the same way after the convention. I feel good about Mitt. I feel good about Paul Ryan. I know we are going to win this. We have a ways to go still, but it’s gonna happen.

I’m feeling pumped!! :-)