Reuters snap poll: Romney’s likeability rises after convention — but no bounce yet

posted at 8:18 pm on August 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

The good news? Reuters’s pollster thinks the likeability numbers are more important than the actual head-to-head right now. Bounces come and bounces go but if Romney’s made real headway in how the public sees him, that might translate into a decisive shift six weeks from now when people finally start making up their minds.

The bad news? Dude, I’m nervous:

Especially notable was Romney’s boost among independents, 45 percent of whom rated him favorably, compared with Thursday’s 34 percent. Twenty percent of independents found him likeable, up from Thursday’s 16 percent…

Respondents said Romney would be more effective than Obama as president by a margin of 37 percent to 33 percent. The margin was even wider among independents, at 26 percent versus 17 percent.

Romney and Obama remain in a dead heat in most national polls of voting intentions. Friday’s Reuters/Ipsos poll had Romney with a slim one-point lead among likely voters, effectively unchanged from the day before

“It was more important for Romney to create a more positive image,” [Ipsos pollster Julia Clark] said. “Some of these softer metrics, image issues, they contribute to factors like trust that ultimately do sway some people” when time comes to vote.

So, mission accomplished. Mitt set out to use the convention to show America that he’s a good man, and it worked. If only more people had actually watched it:

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan continue to draw smaller TV crowds than the 2008 Republican Party duo of John McCain and Sarah Palin. The grand finale of this year’s Republican National Convention featuring Presidential candidate Romney’s acceptance speech and an introduction by Clint Eastwood drew a total of 25.3 million viewers last night from 10-11 PM on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News Channel, CNN and MSNBC. That was down 31% from the final hour of the 2008 GOP convention.

Ratings for Ryan’s VP speech were also way, way, way off what they were in 2008. Why the decline this time? Partly it’s a function of Palin’s star power and the historic nature of her candidacy having driven intense interest in the convention four years ago. Partly it’s because, after years of Bush fatigue, the public was excited and curious about the two new teams battling to replace him. (Note that Biden’s VP speech in 2008 actually topped Ryan’s speech ratings-wise as well.) Partly it’s because, thanks to Obama and his own historic candidacy, it was easier for casual voters to appreciate the significance of the election than it is in a cycle where Mitt Romney’s tax returns are one of the “big issues.” And partly it’s because, I think, a lot of poor suckers really bought the Hopenchange message, to the point where they thought some fresh new way of doing business in D.C. was on the menu. Now they know better and they’re jaded, so they’ve tuned out. Or at least, that’s the theory; if the Democratic convention next week does gangbusters business Nielsen-wise then obviously the GOP’s ratings are a much bigger concern than we think right now.

Exit question: Should they have had Hologram Reagan blow the roof off the joint? Clint Eastwood’s got nothing on the 3-D Gipper, my friends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

…trolss coming out of the muck in 3…2…

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I can’t spell trolls …I’ve seen so many!

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

…I’ve called the septic company…they are sending a train with pumps!

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Yeah I’d bet the DNC is down just as much in the ratings.

Still, it would’ve been nice to have more eyeballs on the Rubio and Ryan and Condi speeches. And Mitt too – he surprised me a bit.

MikeknaJ on August 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM

oh oh!

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Plus: GOP convention ratings down 31 percent from 2008?

Ratings for Ryan’s VP speech were also way, way, way off what they were in 2008. Why the decline this time? Partly it’s entirely a function of Palin’s star power and the historic nature of her candidacy having driven intense interest in the convention four years ago. Partly it’s because, after years of Bush fatigue, the public was excited and curious about the two teams that would replace him. (Note that Biden’s VP speech in 2008 actually topped Ryan’s speech ratings-wise as well.) Partly it’s because, thanks to Obama and his own historic candidacy, it was easier for casual voters to appreciate the significance of the election than it is in a cycle where Mitt Romney’s tax returns are one of the “big issues.” And partly it’s because, I think, a lot of poor suckers really bought the Hopenchange message, to the point where they thought some fresh new way of doing business in D.C. was on the menu.

FIFY.

Stoic Patriot on August 31, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Snap polls are crap.

It always takes a couple of days for these things to set in. I’ll wait until Mon/Tue polling to get a picture.

swamp_yankee on August 31, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I can’t spell trolls …I’ve seen so many!

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

It was trolls squared!

AubieJon on August 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Clint Eastwood’s got nothing on the 3-D Gipper, my friends.

Stoopid. Clint handed Romney keys to the White House. Wake up foo’.

doorsxp on August 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

reuters. pollster.

uhuh

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

First of all whos ratings are we talking about MSLSD? That would be understandable if the numbers were real! I think most people watched C-Span so as not to see/listen to the lefty rants. Plus the online viewing could put a bite into those number too.

sonnyspats1 on August 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

One other factor to consider. I watched every speech, but not by watching TV. I watched them on my iPad at my convenience. I imagine a lot of people are doing so as well. Therefore, the TV numbers are not the be all, end all. The real question is how many folks are going to watch the speeches on-line in the coming days.

maubman on August 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM

People just don’t watch as much TV, and they are sick of politics. It’s both.

Minorcan Maven on August 31, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Yeah I’d bet the DNC is down just as much in the ratings.

MikeknaJ on August 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I must have seen at least ten different sites today that asked their members to watch the Democratic convention and support Obama. The lefty freaks are starting to “try” and mobilize. Too bad about that pesky opening day of football!

BettyRuth on August 31, 2012 at 8:26 PM

There will be no polling bounce.

Let’s face it, we had a great convention. People will come away from it, if nothing else, thinking of one of the greatest actors and directors of our time demolishing this disaster of a President. Ryan was brilliant. Ann Romney was charming. Mitt Romney made the best case of his campaign.

The Democrats meanwhile have militant feminists on parade. Its a walking disaster. They’re so desperate that they are reduced to playing copycat games, not just on defensive but without a game plan at all. Best case scenario mystery guest Stephen Colbert makes people forget the embarrassing socialist meandering of Elizabeth Warren.

The pollsters know this, and they know that if they show any sort of polling bounce for us, the Democrats won’t be able to counter it. They’re only way to twist the narrative back into their direction is to foster the meme that this was a no-bounce convention. Either the Republican platform is too routine, or the electorate is too polarized. To do otherwise is to see Obama at a distinct disadvantage with two months to go, and the media cannot tolerate that.

Gingotts on August 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Maybe the way the news networks were covering the convention had something to do with it. I started to watch on CNN and got so discusted with the way they weren’t actually airing the speeches that I turned it off on Tuesday night.
Then I remembered C-Span and had to go add it to my dish favorites to get to the channel to show in my guide. I didn’t even bother with any other channel after that.

cfguy on August 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM

We’ll see where the polls go, but Mitt’s likeability improving is important. If voters feel he’s competent and don’t buy the negative ads, he’ll win.

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Its also directly related to the inescapable fact that network ratings, across the board, have been tanking for the last several years.

The new media makes it possible for people to get their information, regardless of the nature of that information, from other sources and BYPASS the networks entirely.

I’m sure that many people remained informed about the events at the RNC through new media sources. This would necessarily lower network ratings considerably.

Further, the networks made it clear that they were not going to offer unbiased and full coverage of the RNC, so a great many people sought other means of staying informed simply because they didn’t wish to subject themselves to the shoddy coverage of the networks.

Finally, half of the state of Louisiana was without power through much of the convention.

thatsafactjack on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

It’s not a good time for a convention. End of August is the last hoorah for a lot of families. A lot of kids went back to school two days ago, on the day of Ryan’s speech.

John the Libertarian on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I’d bet ONE big reason the views were down is the folks’ disdain for the talking heads, at long last !! Every single network did a lousy job, but that was actually expected.

Those watching online HAD to make for one huge headcount, although I don’t know any way we could find out those numbers.

pambi on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Allah’s nervous? Shocker! The guy would still be nervous if Romney had a 20+ point lead in the polls.

wargamer6 on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Plus college football.

John the Libertarian on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Oh please, don’t expect bounces in such a stasis race, Romney has built the pieces to accomplish a win 2 months from now.

rob verdi on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

. . . Plus: GOP convention ratings down 31 percent from 2008?
Allahpundit

No Sarah.

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Isn’t Ipsos the one polling firm that consistently had Kerry beating Bush?

besser tot als rot on August 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I think the lower viewership may mean that there are a lot fewer ‘undecideds’ than the pundits would like us to believe. I don’t really believe there’s going to be a whole lot of suspense over who wins this election. The 0bama supporters have no problem self-identifying. Everyone else is either going to go for Romney or skip it altogether.

cynccook on August 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I watched the whole thing on my computer via c-span’s website, which is probably a lot more common now than 4 years ago.

Also, can we have a moratorium on polls that don’t disclose their internals?

I’m seeing polls now where Romney’s got a double-digit lead among independents and overall it’s still tied. That’s just not possible.

blue13326 on August 31, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I also think it’s because of the way people watch things this time. I’m in my 50′s and though I usually watch the Republican convention (I don’t bother with the Democrats), this time I didn’t watch the first two days. I decided that if there was word of anything special I would just watch it on the computer.

Rose on August 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

thatsafactjack on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Hi Jackie :) Everyone I have spoken to watched it online with the exception of my 85 year-old FIL.

cynccook on August 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Has anyone noticed something odd in all the polling? In every poll Obama and Romney get about the same proportion of the partisan vote yet Romney leads with Independents by double digits but the online number is tied?

Trying to figure out that math.

Also, we know that Rasmussen does a fair party sample but his topline is the same as pollsters like Reuters that give Democrats a 10 point sampling edge.

mitchellvii on August 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Allah – remember that many of us watched the speeches over the internet, including right here on Hot Air! Also, I watched last evening’s events and speeches on Hulu via my Xbox.

Nielsen can’t capture all this activity so… no worries, right?

CliffHanger on August 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Partly, its because I don’t have to waste my evenings watching the convention and can come on Hot Air and watch the clips.

besser tot als rot on August 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM

This is winnable, but we’re going to have to fight for it. People are so jaded it’s scary. One consolation, can’t see jaded folks making the trek to the polls to give the One another four years. The likely voter pool isn’t really a clear picture yet. The best thing we have going for us is determination. Let’s not let them beat that out of us. We can win this.

msmveritas on August 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Democracy Corps new poll had Romney crushing Obama with Indys 54-38.

wargamer6 on August 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM

pambi on August 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

And you don’t have to watch that crap if you watch the clips the next day.

besser tot als rot on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

wow, what a bounce….

what a waste of a convention.

gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Palin: “Miss me yet?”

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Rose on August 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I definitely think you’ve got something there. I only watched the speeches, and not all of them. I checked blogs for substantive convention updates.

J.E. Dyer on August 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Folks. Standard forms of communication are not going to do it this time around. Fewer and fewer people watch T.V. period. Take everything you loved about the convention and push it out in emails, FB pages, blogs, and Twitter accounts. That’s how it will reach and continue to reach people all the way through Nov. The convention ended last night, but the coverage of it doesn’t have to end until you decide to end it. Take advantage of the media age you live in now. Let’s do this. Breitbart lives.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM

What Romney needs to do is buy a half hour of prime time TV like Obama did in 2008. He has the money. They could run the bio video we saw last night. We should’ve been seeing that stuff all summer.

Mark1971 on August 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM

wow, what a bounce….

what a waste of a convention.

gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Have fun at your Abortion convention next week. I’m sure people will start caring more about that, rather than your leader’s fucking up the economy.

wargamer6 on August 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM

wow, what a bounce….

what a waste of a convention.

gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Have fun at your Abortion convention next week. I’m sure people will start caring more about that, rather than your leader’s messing up the economy.

wargamer6 on August 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I think a lot of it is, as others have said, that we are getting our views of the speeches from the web, at our convenience. Also, I already know how I am going to vote, I’m fired up to fire the poseur in chief, and I really didn’t need to spend three days watching floor speeches to know that. I suspect a large number of others feel the same way. Did watch Eastwood through Romney last night on CSPAN.

AZfederalist on August 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Why are we looking for bounces and upswings in AUGUST? We had a bunch of bounces in 2008 like a frickin’ ping pong ball..it meant nothing.

Reagan had few bounces against Carter. It’s the final weeks and the debates that matter.

Plus…what happened to….well there’s really very few undecided voters at this point. If that’s the case…you’re not going to see any movement.

Stop this dumb poll crap and post more videos of Biden wiping cream pie off his face.

DLEW on August 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Well that’s it then, I’m voting for the guy who has been destroying the nation for the last 4 years.

Bishop on August 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM

ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News Channel, CNN and MSNBC.

sonnyspats1 on August 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I noticed a significant absence in the first list…no C-Span. After hearing on numerous sites of the bias and talking heads talking over speeches, I went to C-Span. Had thought about streaming it, but wanted the spouse to see also. Good thing.

Just saying…

TIdbIT on August 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I also watched CSpan and switched around. I wanted to watch the speeches not the pundits. Even Fox was annoying. At this point I can predict what Dick Morris Karl Rove Juan Williams ect… Are gonna say before they open there mouths. I switched over to ABC at one point and they showed the beginning of a speech that I was interested in and cut out to Sam Donaldson talking about the balloons and the balloon guy. Its hard to believe the election is going to be decided by people who are undecided and cant even bother to watch the presidential nominess speech. The ratings for the Dems will be worse. Obamas on TV so much he sounds like Charlie Browns teacher. He recycles speeches from two years ago. Raise taxes, spend more,green energy……

ldbgcoleman on August 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Have you seen Mitt’s bio? Have read about how he’s led his life? Have you watched those clips of the people he’s helped? The straight arrow morals Mitt Romney uses to guide everything he does, and says? The sincerity, the honesty, the work ethic, the inherent talent to solve problems and guide success?

He’s led an amazing life, he is an awesome, dedicated, caring person.

Is he Ronald Reagan? No..If Mitt Romney is like anybody, that would have to be more like, George Washington.

Unlike other candidates, the closer you look the more wow there is.

Lets do this!

Speakup on August 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

About what I expected actually.

Keep in mind, “holiday weekend.” I was on the road today and saw an absolute ton of people driving towards Yellowstone national park. We essentially have a four day weekend, and that is going to artificially deflate the polls, particularly when its a particularly noisy pollster like Reuters/Ipsos.

As for the internals, its kinda hard to make TOO much sense of them, on account of how poorly worded the article is.

I will say this though, I’m not sure Ipsos has a very good, “likely voters,” model.

I mean seriously, a full 57% of independents did not answer when asked who they thought would be a better President. With that many people responding, “not sure,” I cannot imagine a lot of these voters polled have been paying close attention to the race.

WolvenOne on August 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Rasmussen & others may have a point when they say conventions are overrated. But hopefully this one was a great impetus for the activists to run effective outreach and GOTV efforts until 11/6.

Looking forward to more Romney ads.

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Reuters snap poll

Oh well this sounds important …

minnesoter on August 31, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I didn’t watch Ryan’s speech. I came here after the fact. We don’t consume things the way we used to, and it has changed in this new direction even more than it was in 2008. If wikipedia’s numbers are correct then in 2008 FB only had 100 million users. In 2012 it has 900 million users. Think about how rapid that is. If you didn’t think enough people watched certain speeches then show them yourself. Let’s do this.

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Allah would be depressed if it did show a bounce. When Gallup or Rasmussen show a bounce, don’t expect Allah to post it.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM

BTW, MSNBC is twisting itself into pretzels trying to make believe that Ryan lied about Janesville.

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Dude, I’m nervous:

Allah, you are always nervous.

I think that in 2008 people were curious about Sarah Palin..but we know how that turned out. And I am not blaming Palin either.

But I do think people are getting tired of politics. It is everywhere all the time..the ads, the talk..all of it.

My husband did not watch any of the convention, but he would crawl over broken glass to vote against Obama. A lot of other people I know who are voting Republican did not bother to watch the convention. They are convinced.

I wonder how much of this change might be due to people watching parts of the convention on line. A lot of people do not even watch regular TV anymore.

In truth,I thought that one of the reasons Clint Eastwood was there last night was to get people to tune in.

I wonder how many people will watch the Democrat Convention. I would not think it would be a lot.

Terrye on August 31, 2012 at 8:47 PM

It’s Palin’s fault.

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Speakup on August 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

You are right. Mitt is pretty awesome.

SparkPlug on August 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Yes, I agree.

Terrye on August 31, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I can not remember what the poll was, but I heard there was a poll that showed a bounce for Romney…not a big one,but it is early yet.

Terrye on August 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Weight of Glory on August 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Yes, I agree.

Terrye on August 31, 2012 at 8:49 PM

ditto

rob verdi on August 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM

The bad news? Dude, I’m nervous . . . . .

excerpt: Allahpundit

Better stick to decaf.

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 8:51 PM

wow, what a bounce….
what a waste of a convention.
gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Wow, looking for a polling bounce less than 24 hours after Romney spoke? Not too bright, are ya?

joejm65 on August 31, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I am nervous too. This is driving me crazy. Who are these people that still like Obama. I couldn’t stand him the moment I first heard him. What am I missing that is so likable about him. Free BC is that all it takes for these people. As a lady, I don’t want my gender to be reduced to being so cheap.

earlgrey133 on August 31, 2012 at 8:51 PM

wargamer6 on August 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM

While I was over there I checked out the Ninja Clip of the Week. Good Stuff.

Is that your site?

jaime on August 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM

wow, what a bounce….

what a waste of a convention.

gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

The other trolls at least try to have intelligent thoughts. This one exhibits no signs of brain function at all. In other words, this one must be Stephanie Cutter.

milcus on August 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I didn’t watch any live convention coverage either. A lot of conservative are plugged in via the web and blogs.

earlgrey133 on August 31, 2012 at 8:53 PM

wow, what a bounce….

what a waste of a convention.

gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Give it time….btw, I hear no one even wants to come to the Democrat convention much less watch it..but then again brain dead lefties are loyal if nothing else..so they will probably be sitting there in front of the tube, staring vacantly into space and playing with their remote.

Terrye on August 31, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I watched on C-SPAN, no commentary.. it was wonderful!

kringeesmom on August 31, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Allahpundit…don’t sweat the TV ratings. I didn’t watch the convention, but I caught most of the important talks on line. I would imagine that to be the trend more and more in the future.

cd98 on August 31, 2012 at 8:54 PM

The bad news? Dude, I’m nervous:

So this is a day of the week that ends in ‘ay.’

Got it.

chimney sweep on August 31, 2012 at 8:54 PM

What were CSPAN ratings, yes I know the rating houses don’t chart them, but that’s how I watched/monitored the whole convention, my desire for punditry somewhere approaching a root canal or a colonoscopy.

That said, neither of these conventions are going to see the viewership as last cycle, given that there’s no hot stuff going on in either, and Sarah was one of a kind, our only hope last time for a new face, and of course the messy-iah was new as well.

Add this to the fact that there’s a very small percentage of likely voters (willing to share their true views) who have not made up their minds at this point, maybe 4%, that makes for an audience of true believers plus 4 for each convention.

Then, there’s the fact that well over 40% of the population get their news anymore off the internet and radio, and not from a TV screen.

TXUS on August 31, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I watched it all online and very little of it I watched live.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I don’t think the ratings are that significant. After all, the GOP lost in 2008 even with the big ratings for Palin, etc. I think people absorb news differently these days. There’s so many ways to dip in and out of coverage for stuff like a convention, you don’t really need to view it as appointment television.

The debates will be important and then there’s local earned media, which I think is supposed to be considered more important anyway.

Bennett on August 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Who needs a Reagan hologram when you have the living Romney hologram.

Valiant on August 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM

wow, what a bounce….
what a waste of a convention.

gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

( guess I’ll get on this “bandwagon” . . . . )
What a waste of a comment.

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM

cynccook on August 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Good evening, Cynncook!:) Almost everyone I know watched it on new media sources as well!

thatsafactjack on August 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I watched on C-SPAN, no commentary.. it was wonderful!

kringeesmom on August 31, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Unfortunitly it looks like crap on my 50 inch.

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM

TXUS on August 31, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Good one.

SparkPlug on August 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Even though it has been a short 4 years, with the growth of technology, bandwidth, portability, etc., TV watching is dying in terms of the political arena. Folks are so sick of the MSM, they opt for CSPAN, on-line streaming,etc. It’s time the groups “measuring” get up to speed on what tools they need to use to reflect the new means of “viewing”.

hillsoftx on August 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM

gumbyandpokey on August 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

liberal

jaime on August 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Mittens Speechy Tweet Tachometer
================================

Twitter Government ‏@gov

As shown on @FoxNews,

@MittRomney’s most tweeted moments of the night and the most tweets for speakers at #GOP2012.
pic.twitter.com/5G2bs86c

VIA
====

canopfor on August 31, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Waaayy too funny ..
at this present moment, the front page pic of Mitt is directly opposite the one of Obama, DNC thread.
WHAT A CONTRAST !!

pambi on August 31, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Who needs a Reagan hologram when you have the living Romney hologram.

Valiant on August 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Wow, that was deeper than the Pacific…

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 9:01 PM

C-span. Not a Neilson station.

Would love #s for that. Watched the entire thing without someone else trying to tell me what I saw.

Daughter without cable watched on PBS. Not a Neilson station.

bluealice on August 31, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Palin: “Miss me yet?”

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM

No, we don’t. After Ryan’s speech it was like, “Sarah who?”

Almost no one knew anything about Palin before the 2008 convention, so there was great anticipation for her speech. When she did read her speech, which was written entirely by Matt Scully, it went well.

But we all know what came in the following weeks. Palin just couldn’t cut it. It was a legendary meltdown at an almost unprecedented level. Her poll numbers plummeted. It was nerve-wracking watching her in the ABC and CBS interviews. Oh, how we all hoped she would nail it and blow our socks off. We hoped she’d be a new Margaret Thatcher or Ronald Reagan. Instead, she got tripped up and fell apart over easy questions like, “what do you like to read?” The woman couldn’t even name more than one Supreme Court decision. Sigh. It was a disaster, and much of the fault lies with Sarah Palin herself. It got so bad that a huge majority of voters didn’t even think she was QUALIFIED. Sadly, she hasn’t done a whole lot to change people’s minds about that. Resigning in disgrace before even completing a single term as governor sure didn’t help things.

So, to answer your question, NO, WE DO NOT MISS PALIN. She can keep doing what she’s doing, helping out various conservative candidates and posting on her Facebook, etc. That’s all well and good, and we thank and admire her for it. But let’s make one thing clear right now: though we respect much about her and agree with her on many issues, Sarah Palin must NEVER again be seen as the face of the Republican Party or of conservatism.

I much prefer the competence and substance of Romney/Ryan, who are going to get this thing done and win and won’t suffer Palin-esque meltdowns.

We all know that you Sarah Palin cultists love to bash anyone not named Palin, but enough is enough.

The name of the game now is to defeat Obama by electing Romney/Ryan. It’s as simple as that.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I think in spite of what the polls say, most people know who they are voting for. They can watch it anywhere with the Internet. Polls won’t matter until Oct.

megthered on August 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Democracy Corps new poll had Romney crushing Obama with Indys 54-38.

wargamer6 on August 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Excellent. We will be seeing a lot more like this.

I’m feeling very good right now.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Terrye on August 31, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Some of them, like myself, will be watching parts of it just for the comedic value. I mean with speakers like Sandra Fluke, Fauxcahontas, Jimmy Carter (and they thought Eastwood is senile?), Dick (my imaginary friend) Durbin, Barney Frank, Jennifer Granholm, Barbara Lee (was Sheila Jackson Lee busy?), Caroline (ummm, ahhh, you know) Kennedy, Patty Murray, and Debbie Whatsername Schultz as well as other “winners” there have got to be some golden humor moments.

/as long as I can keep my blood pressure down and not harm the TV

AZfederalist on August 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Does “she who shall not be named” work for you?

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Don’t be nervous.

More folks aren’t watching because they’ve already made up their minds and don’t need validation or go for the whole pep rally part of political rallys.

Unless Romney executed people live on stage they’re still voting against Obama.

Ozmondias on August 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I’ve been hoping undecideds would watch the convention via cspan to escape the interference the MSM runs for Obama. Maybe its good that those TV ratings are lower. If folks watched on line as some suggest then they will get the content without someone trashing it as the speaker speaks. That would be a good thing.

I’m nervous too but I thought the convention was good. I thought Mitt did everything he could to make his case and I feel like if he gets the opportunity to be president we will have a very capable President who is genuinely a good man.

Now lets spend some of that money we’ve been saving up.

magicbeans on August 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Many people watch online nowadays.

nicktjacob on August 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM

While I was over there I checked out the Ninja Clip of the Week. Good Stuff.

Is that your site?

jaime on August 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Nope. Found it on Twitter.

wargamer6 on August 31, 2012 at 9:14 PM

While this line was handed down with a non insignificant amount of condescension and disrespect of average Americans, the point behind it is not insignificant either and shouldn’t be over looked.

Exactly what Mitt was talking about last night, optimism, hope, and a belief that, “Wait a minute. Can this be it? Can this be the moment we change the way Washington works? Is it really possible that maybe just maybe we actually could end up being the America we’ve all been brought up to believe in after all?” That is America.

I was one of them. Yeah, laugh it up.

For all of my life I have been an avid both party hating person. I always felt like the only thing that made people like Bill Clinton’s presidency was that we didn’t have to care. A bj in the oval office was it. If you were an average American and not an AM advertising salesman addict in the 90′s, nobody really cared. Things were alright. Politics was just bs. But most average Americans weren’t very emotionally invested in any of it. Because we didn’t have to care. Bush Sr, was just a face in the early 90′s. He wasn’t electrifying. He wasn’t scary. He wasn’t a showman. He was just there. Bush Jr was a good man lead around by his eyelids by self-interested cabinet members. But nothing has ever changed.

We have been on the same economic and national trajectory for the last 30 years. Headed to the same place, at the same pace, only alternating the speech and delivery.

Then here comes along this guy, he’s young, there’s a historic feel about things, by the end of the last 8 years he was a shoe in. The people ever kicked aside Hillary for god’s sake! People thought, this is the moment, this is the time, this is the opportunity. We can actually win with someone who might not lead right down that same road we’ve been on for 30 years heading toward a cliff. People believed in the capabilities of America to actually be that shining light on the hill they’re always talking about again. That MAYBE this time it WOULD be different.

Surely all of you can imagine that feeling, you’ve all been CRAVING it to come around for the right side since it happened. You want that moment where YOU believe that same thing.

People did. Average Americans of no personal or intellectual fault. They gave the system a chance to work and actually change things for once, before it’s too late. To be sensible and responsible and accomplish our goals as a country. Don’t mock them.

Barack Obama could have been anything. He could have been a great historic president. But the effort to destroy, delitigimize, and derail his presidency began at 10:00 November 4, as soon as the results came in. He turned out to be just one guy, everything he said was played as of it was devil’s speak, even when it genuinely wasn’t. The democrat party still turned out to be the hapless, full of s**t, lying to try to achieve their goals and using parliamentary tricks to do so, just like they’d always been. Just like the Republicans ARE when they’re in power. There was a concerted effort to nip his presidency in the bud, by the people who had been in charge for the last eight years as we watched the country come apart domestically.

It all fell apart. Obama turned out to be just another president doing exactly what EVERY president before him has done, acting and asserting himself in the same arguably illegal executively directed way. The optimism was murdered by the we hate him and he has to go but he hasn’t done anything sore losers. And people lost hope. People stopped caring.

Now people have a choice, stick with mediocre new car luster gone Barack. Or… Mitt Romney…

NOTHING is gonna change. Nothing. Watch. Invest yourself emotionally in it. I can tell you, it’s a letdown. But it’s not gonna happen. The best you can hope for is that he gets to ride out the inevitable end of the economic holdback and that people don’t have to care.

That it’s. That’s all. Be sure to have Allahpundit call YOU a sucker afterwards. Or you can just accept it now.

Suckers. If you think this is the moment and things are gonna change to the mostly reasonable ways you expect of your country, you bought the cake.

Be sure to eat it now, it’s only gonna taste worse as it ages.

Write it down. Give it a few years. Hell give it 8. Stay politically awake for the next 8 years that way no matter what you’re likely to see both sides hold power while you’re paying attention.

I can tell you right now, if you do, and you didn’t pay much attention to politics until Obama or Bush, you’ll look back and go, “Hey, you know what, that dude on the Internet so long ago WAS right! They are ALL full of s**t and genuine people duping and manipulating liars! Wow!”

;)

Boomer_Sooner on August 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I watched everything online…cut the broadcast TV and satellite cord some time ago. But, I think the drop is entirely a function of the lack of interest this time around. Palin and Obama were novelties, and there was a lot of intrigue around both tickets. This year, not so much.

I’m not surprised about the lack of a convention bump, either. We were competing with lower levels of interest as well as a hurricane, plus those that are paying attention at the moment seem to have their minds made up. And anyway, whatever bounce we did get would likely be negated by the DNC. A wash, basically, that leaves this race where it was before…tied, with Obama a little ahead in most of the swing states.

changer1701 on August 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM

On the number of people who watched. I wonder how many people had to give up TV as they could not afford it and would that change the numbers. What it the base line on people with cable and could watch and if they did not watch the RNC what where the missing people watching. Does the rating have anything in relationship to population growth or are they the same regardless of the number of people who have cable just static based on Neilson boxes and then extracted to be the million from there based purely on population and not who had access to watch.

If one has to move back in to their childhood bedroom, does that changes the number on the statistic on people watching as it is now one family in one house hold over 2 in two different houses

tjexcite on August 31, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Unlike other candidates, the closer you look the more wow there is.

Lets do this!

Speakup on August 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

That is a jaw dropper.

I cannot believe you wrote this. What alternate bizzaro universe of history are you writing about? His flaws not withstanding, no president is comparable to everything Washington was, what he did and what he meant to this country.

INC on August 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM

They will publish a poll that is D+20 just to say there wasn’t a bounce. They don’t want their base to jump ship, and if you are protecting your base, you are in deep trouble.

Rndguy on August 31, 2012 at 9:35 PM