Power move: Mitt Romney’s miracle-on-ice endorsement

posted at 4:41 pm on August 31, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I have to admit, when I first saw the scheduled lineup for the RNC’s Thursday night programming, I was a wee bit confused about the delegation of Olympians being brought out on stage to address the convention — I mean, I get that they want to highlight Mitt Romney’s success at turning around the 2002 Olympic Games, I thought, but does anybody really know or care who these people are? But I was wrong — so wrong.

In retrospect, having Olympic athletes describe the meaning and significance of the Olympics was kind of a brilliant idea — not only does it underscore why turning around the huge administrative and financial boondoggle that were the 2002 Winter Olympics is such an impressive and consequential success story of Mitt Romney’s life, but also, Americans in general just really like the Olympics. Nothing gets Americans’ patriotic fires a-burnin’ like watching other Americans just straight-up winning, and getting some of their favorite athletes from Olympic lore to give their personal take on Mitt’s strategery was a master stroke that effectively expanded the tone of the evening to American exceptionalism and tugged on everybody’s heartstrings.

I wasn’t even a thought in my parents’ minds at the time, but I’ve heard that the men’s ice hockey team beating the Soviet Union to go on and take the gold medal in 1980, during the height of Cold-War tensions, was pretty much the single greatest sporting event in the history of planet earth — and their team captain Mike Eurozione reminded the audience of why the Olympics can be so important and powerful in the international arena. Derek Parra added to that theme, reminding viewers that the product of Mitt’s organization came to fruition just a few months after 9/11, and showed to the world that America was strong and united. Powerful stuff, folks.

“U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!”

Comments

…G O O D…!!!

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Wait till Hussein brings out all the athletes of the Chicago Olympics ;-)

burrata on August 31, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Wait. You’ve never even watched this game. At least the end of it?

The shame.

lorien1973 on August 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

All those people are experienced speakers, too. It was great!

Blake on August 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Barry will have the US Olympic Basketball Team in Charlotte next week.

bayview on August 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Wait till Hussein brings out all the athletes of the Chicago Olympics ;-)

burrata on August 31, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Looooooooooool :)

jimver on August 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

…thanks for reminding us!

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM

This will have exactly zero impact on the election.

newtopia on August 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Barry will have the US Olympic Basketball Team in Charlotte next week.

bayview on August 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

…he doesn’t like hockey players?

KOOLAID2 on August 31, 2012 at 4:47 PM

The Commies hated the American victory.

The ones in the Soviet Union, too.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 31, 2012 at 4:47 PM

You weren’t alive during the Miracle on Ice? Wow, I feel old. And, yes, that game was the single greatest sporting event I’ve ever witnessed. The Soviets were hockey legends, and they totally dismantled Team USA during a pre-Olympic game a few weeks before the Olympics started. Get a copy of that game and watch it from beginning to end.

joejm65 on August 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Hockey is racist, anyway. Far too many caucasians. Something should be done about it.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Wait till Hussein brings out all the athletes of the Chicago Olympics ;-)

burrata on August 31, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Nah, he’s gonna go hang out at “Hardcore Pawn” for the weekend.

lorien1973 on August 31, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Oh it is. And remember, this was year 4 of the Carter years, so we were all pretty depressed.

rbj on August 31, 2012 at 4:49 PM

OT: CNN plans to have a 9-11 truther on its DNC panel next week

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM

that 80 hockey team was amazing, erika. it made it all the more sweet for some of us who remembered the debacle of the 72 basketball theft by the soviets (and the refs). we were also in like day 90 of the iran hostage crisis as well as in the depths of an obama-ish malaise. courtesy of jimma carter. we needed a lift. that game gave us one. 9 months later we got something even better; ronnie reagan. history rhymes. i hope.

t8stlikchkn on August 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM

OT: CNN plans to have a 9-11 truther on its DNC panel next week

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Van Jones?

lorien1973 on August 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Barry will have the US Olympic Basketball Team in Charlotte next week.

bayview on August 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Racist
:O

burrata on August 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM

The guy who carried the 911 flag had me watering up.

SMACKRUNNER on August 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Wait till Hussein brings out all the athletes of the Chicago Olympics ;-)

burrata on August 31, 2012 at 4:43 PM

You’ve been knockin’ em outta the park, e.g. Biden – Bidet.

Outstanding.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on August 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

And what color is the puck- plus it is smacked around with the idea of making it to scoring but what stops it then?- a white net.

*dog whistles abound*

Betenoire on August 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM

EMPTY CHAIRS WILL BEGIN DECORATING FRONT LAWNS AND THE BEDS OF PICK UP TRUCKS.
It’s the new “in” thing. heh heh
Thanks Clint.

Sugar Land on August 31, 2012 at 4:54 PM

The 1980 hockey team/soviet game was such a fabulous shot in the arm !! We were in a horrible malaise, this brought us a truly national celebration !!
We’re hockey AND Olympic fans, and I can’t tell you how long we all cheered and jumped around, and shared it all outside with our neighbors.
Last light turned out to be TERRIFIC !!
You’re right .. a brilliant move, and super presentation.

pambi on August 31, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Betenoire on August 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM

That white net is just a metaphor for “the Man, keepin’ us down.”

The whole sport smacks of racism.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 31, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Hey, let’s be fair. Obama’s acknowledged the Olympics.

President Obama Jokes About Being a Bad Bowler: ‘It’s Like the Special Olympics’

hepcat on August 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Hi, I’m Joe Bidenkov…ex hockey player!!

Deano1952 on August 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM

We watched that game and it was the greatest thing we had ever seen! No words could describe how proud we were of that hockey team! I thought I would have an attack of some kind cheering and jumping when this finished. This was a great move by R&R to have those hockey players there, IMO! But some are too young to know what this was all about?
L

letget on August 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM

hepcat on August 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Great comment!!!

Deano1952 on August 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Totally brill” ?????
-Aug 31, 2012 4:41 PM by Erika Johnsen

Sorry, haters: Freedom of religion was unifying, not divisive” ????

-Aug 31, 2012 1:21 PM by Erika Johnsen

Erika, are you a 13 year old girl?

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Eruzione!!!!!!!!!

Do you believe in miracles?

cmsinaz on August 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Erika, are you a 13 year old girl?

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

She’s cute and spunky. Shut up.

lorien1973 on August 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Romney had Olympians, while Obama had Styrofoam columns.

sleeper57 on August 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM

She’s cute and spunky. Shut up.

lorien1973 on August 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM

OMG !! LOLZ

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 5:04 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on August 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Yeah. Even the ice is white.

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Yes, by all means, watch that game. But it can never be as sweet as being in the moment, having to get up at the butt crack of dawn, to watch the impossible happen.

tutu on August 31, 2012 at 5:08 PM

joejm65 on August 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Ditto.

Even watching it doesn’t capture the moment or how people felt when it happened.

It happened after decades of enduring the Cold War and living with the ominous presence of the USSR. We also had to watch judges from Iron Curtain countries time after time obviously tilt the score at the Olympics.

It happened toward the end of the demoralizing Jimmy Carter presidency.

That’s what people were remembering and feeling as they watched Miracle On Ice in 1980.

INC on August 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM

The 1980 Miracle on Ice Olymmpic hockey victory over the Soviets must be put in perspective to be fully appreciated. This was still during a time when professional athletes were not permitted in the Games. Of course, the Soviet team was completely composed of players who did nothing else in their lives; whose entire living was paid for by the government of the USSR, but they weren’t “professionals”, even though considered the best hockey team on the planet. Meanwhile, our heroes were all college and amateur players.

I thought the clips from Dan Jansen and some of the others provided excellent optics for just how much trouble the SLC Games were in when Romney was called in.

Freelancer on August 31, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Meanwhile, our heroes were all college and amateur players.

even though the first dream team was “fun”, i kind of miss our “kids” going against their professionals…and kicking their butts.

t8stlikchkn on August 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It does a good job of capturing what that game meant to the United States.

aunursa on August 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Ugh. Well, before I go yell at some kids to turn down their darn el-ec-tronic devices and chase them off my lawn, I’ll strongly recommend you watch at least the last period of the game (I can’t check here at work, it might be on Youtube).

DrAllecon on August 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Chanting USA is racist.

rob verdi on August 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Freelancer on August 31, 2012 at 5:12 PM

There was a movie made about this event. It was good as make your point on our team not being professional and all the had to do to win. If you can, watch it, good movie, IMO!
L

letget on August 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM

aunursa on August 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Thanks, I was a little late on my post about the movie.
L

letget on August 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

And Mike Eruzione was just what he appeared to be last night: a blue-collar kid who was not the most talented hockey player in the world, but was picked to be team captain because of his grit and work ethic. Herb Brooks, who coached that team, was a b*llbuster of a coach and he LOVED Eruzione.

I watched that game with a bunch of jaded intellectual grad students at Harvard, and all of us were jumping up and down screaming at the end of it! I’ve never witnessed anything like it, before or since.

I actually was moved by Derek Parra’s speech last night, though. I hope Romney puts him in some TV ads.

rockmom on August 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Oh Erika…it was electric like no other sporting event has ever been and I’m a loooong time Red Sox fan who always believed, but that genuine amateur team, not like today’s pro Olympic teams, taking on the USSR super-machine was unfreakin’ believable.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, like it in sports today.

NHElle on August 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Erika, Erika, Erika.

I wanted to laugh, but then I thought about all the crap, and the wonders, I’ve seen on my trip through 17 administrations and and Olympics. Give yourself a treat, grab a seat close to the screen for one helluva ride.

Limerick on August 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I was fist pumping at my house during that whole segment. If you don’t think that doesn’t attract Reagan democrats from the upper midwest then you don’t know your history or geography.

txmomof6 on August 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Maybe I’ve forgotten, but I think Miracle On Ice was the first time I ever heard a crowd yell, “USA! USA!”

Anyone else remember?

INC on August 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I was 15 at the time, and what you heard might be an understatement. Being there in the dark days of the Cold War, just a couple of months after the Soviet Union’s massive invasion of Afghanistan and the general malaise and feeling of American decline in the Carter years, this event really stood out and galvanized the country the way nothing else could at the time. You could almost say it was the first sign of the turnaround to come in the 1980′s.

You can find the ending moments on YouTube, and listening to Al Michaels call the game might give you some sense of what it was like. It was a thrilling moment to be sure.

Also, HBO did a documentary about that game, I highly recommend you check it out.

thirteen28 on August 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM

The perfect Olympian to endorse Obama.

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Anyone else remember?

INC on August 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

That’s right.

AubieJon on August 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Miracle on Ice…Perestroika with a puck in the face.

Limerick on August 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Erika, it was one of those life moments that a person never forgets.

The films are on YouTube. Hope you’ll have the team to watch them. Well worth it.

GrannyDee on August 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM

INC on August 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM

When they made the movie, they got Al Michaels to recreate his call of the game – with the exception of the last 10 seconds. Al and the producers both felt there was no way he could recapture the emotion of the moment as it happened, so they cleaned up the original recording and inserted it into the movie.

Erika, if you haven’t seen it, watch Miracle. It not only tells the story of how the hockey team came together, but it does get into why this game was so important at that particular time. And find the game on YouTube, particularly the 3rd period, or at least the last half of that period.

Alia on August 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Erika, are you a 13 year old girl?

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

+1. Erika, has been way to “shilly” for Team Mitt.

It’s one thing to be a ethusiastic, and I don’t come to Hot Gas for objectivity or impartiality or anything, but Erika has been way to emotional lately. Time for a little cool detachment and a little less fan girl – at least when posting.

newtopia on August 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Nah…..that would be Canada vs. USSR 1972. Cold War on ice, down to the last moment of an 8 game series, Paul Henderson steps into the realm of hockey Godhood.

BL@KBIRD on August 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

newtopia on August 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Now, now, give the youth a spot. We all bought those bell bottoms and paisleys, remember?

Limerick on August 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Erika, are you a 13 year old girl?

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Either your reading comprehension, or your math, or possibly both suck.

Tenwheeler on August 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM

+1. Erika, has been way to “shilly” for Team Mitt.

newtopia on August 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

So, what exactly DO you come to Hot Air for? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tenwheeler on August 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Obama traveled overseas to make his personal pitch to bring the 2016 Olympics to his hometown Chicago…what a looser!

kalamari on August 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM

That’s right.

AubieJon on August 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Thanks!

INC on August 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Yeah. Even the ice is white.

NeighborhoodCatLady

Yup, it’s all racist. Even the puck is black, symbolizing the Black man still being beaten and thrown about by Whitey!

Typicalwhitewoman on August 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM

That game was on a Friday night wasn’t it and it was tape delayed. It still gives me goose bumps to watch clips of it.

Scott Hamilton’s gold medal 4 years later in Sarajevo was up there too.

TxAnn56 on August 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on August 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Yeah, Hockey is racist, but Pool is even worse. The white ball gets to hit all the colored ones and knock them down! RAAAAACCCCCIIIIISSSSSMMMMM!!!111!eleven!!!1!

/just in case :P

Benedict Nelson on August 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM

+1. Erika, has been way to “shilly” for Team Mitt.

newtopia on August 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Either your reading comprehension, or your math, or possibly both suck.

Tenwheeler on August 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Erika has been skating on thin ice since one of her first posts at HotAir. Remember it? It was a snarky disrespectful ditty to Newt Gingrich titled “Farewell, Newt: a final visit to the zoo”.

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Still makes me a little sad. Erika you missed Redstone blowing up on the pad, more than once, and Commander Bucher coming home with his crew. America moves on, and changes, but the times were grand, and more grand to come. You’ll have a ring side seat. Enjoy it.

Limerick on August 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I found the Olympics to be boring on steroids.

HopeHeFails on August 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Now we know why. She was too young to comprehend the impact of the Republican Revolution in 1994.

INC on August 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

When the Team USA pucksters beat the Russkies it was like the mist of The Malaise began to lift.

People started to think that if a bunch of college kids can do this, then what the hell is the rest of the country doing sitting on it’s hands?

That’s the moment Reagan seized.

Bruno Strozek on August 31, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Scott Hamilton’s gold medal 4 years later in Sarajevo was up there too.

TxAnn56

+1 Love Scotty Hamilton

I love the Olympics. My first one was the 1960 Olympics in Rome (I was 10) and I remember watching from Sydney, Australia cheering for Dawn Fraser, an Australian swimming star who won a 3 gold medals.

The Olympics are a chance to be patriotic, wave the flag, put our hand on our heart and hear our anthem. It’s the best.

Typicalwhitewoman on August 31, 2012 at 6:16 PM

INC on August 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

And if she is too young to remember 1994, she has no concept of the Reagan years. She only knows conservatism as told by David Frum, The Bush 41 clowns, and other “conservatives” of the modern day.

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Wait till Hussein brings out all the athletes of the Chicago Olympics ;-)

burrata on August 31, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I hear that they have an abundance of local firearms experts in the Windy City… I’m always reading comments by the Mayor regarding “shooting” or something like that…

Khun Joe on August 31, 2012 at 6:20 PM

This series is tied with Reagan in such a way in my EMOTIONS that’s difficult to even explain. I was 10. I had watched with my dad every night for a YEAR before that… as the count on the Iran hostages went up and up and up. Every night. Bad news. Middle East tensions. Bad. Bad. Bad. Gas lines. Bad. Bad. Bad…

And then Reagan was elected, and then USA won that game.

I always knew things were different after that. I was proud to be American!

UnderstandingisPower on August 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM

portlandon on August 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Exactly. If you didn’t live through it, then at least read about it.

I could never comprehend how the USSR could get away with erasing history, but after having seen some of the revisionist stuff that’s gone on in the last decade or so, I now understand it.

INC on August 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Rahm Emanuel will introduce the Free Style Shooting Team for the Chicago Olympic to the DNC Convention.

bayview on August 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Here’s a link to the YouTube video:

Kiliman on August 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM

That last link is not the Al Michaels’ broadcast. Apparently there was a sportswriter, Curt Chaplin, that recorded his commentary on a tape recorder and recently they matched it to the video. It’s a new take on a great game.

Here’s a link to the full game. It looks like ESPN did a replay of it with a short documentary at the beginning.

Kiliman on August 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on August 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

And they play on white ice, and they’re smacking around a black puck.

John the Libertarian on August 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM

There is nothing more disappointing for the young athletes than to have an Olympics cancelled when it is their turn and they are in their prime. Jimmy Carter used not allowing athletes to attend, was it 1980 in order so he could protest the Russians war in afganistan.
He didn’t care about the athletes, just making his humanitarian point.

Fleuries on August 31, 2012 at 9:00 PM

As one woman to another, the “cute” voice, like, demeans us all. It’s time to write like an adult.

No squees in headlines, please.

tuffy on August 31, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Fleuries on August 31, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Yeah, I think it was the Summer Olympics of 1980. We later lived in a town with a gym opened by a former prospective 1980 Olympic competitor. To miss out on the games must have been a terrible let-down.

INC on August 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Tough crowd.

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM

The US win over the Soviets was huge for America, despite the game being tape delayed in the States, while we watched it live in Canada.

As great a victory as it was, it pales in comparison to the 1972 Canada USSR Summit Series. That was an eight–game war that captured the entire country. Every Canadian alive 40 years ago remembers where we were when Paul Henderson scored the greatest goal in hockey history.

CanuckInPA on August 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM

newtopia on August 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

…we know you get tired of sitting on your toilet in moms basement ALL THE TIME…and just look for a different place to sh!t…!!!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Oh wow. I didn’t see this on the night of. *sniff*

Is this the best endorsement ever? It’s got to be close.

evergreen on September 1, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Was there an embedded vid? Not with my trusty iphone! I need a HA stimulus!

Sherman1864 on September 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM