Palin, Fox at odds in contract negotiations?

posted at 10:01 am on August 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

One of the most curious developments at the Republican convention took place far away from the delegate floor.  Two events appeared for a short time to be part of the same story: the announcement of the “mystery speaker,” and the sudden cancellation of Sarah Palin’s interviews on Fox News.  Palin, the Republican Party’s previous VP nominee, would have provided some intriguing commentary on the night when her successor spoke, and so some — myself included — thought Palin’s spots must have been canceled because she had become a participant in this convention.  When it became clear that Clint Eastwood had agreed to speak, it left many of us wondering exactly why Palin’s Fox appearances had been canceled at the time when she had the most value as a commentator.

New York Magazine reported yesterday that the cancellations were due to a power play in contract negotiations, and that Palin might find herself in search of a new platform:

Essentially, Palin and Fox are in the early stages of an elaborate contract negotiation. Palin earns roughly $1 million per year from Fox, making her the highest paid contributor at the network. Fox executives have been disappointed with her ratings; Palin has been disappointed by Fox’s decision to not give her top billing on bookings. According to sources, the relationship at times has gotten so bad that much communication has been conducted via Palin’s husband Todd. One thing is clear: It’s risky for her to push the envelope too far. Fox has been a central pillar of Palin’s national reach since quitting the governorship, and without the network’s platform, it’s unclear how she could maintain even her current, much-diminished level of visibility.

Palin’s Facebook outburst surely didn’t endear her to Roger Ailes, who prizes message discipline and loyalty among his troops.

Well, that cuts both ways, does it not?  Palin posted her Facebook “outburst” in response to a large amount of curiosity as to why she’d been removed from the air.  Did Ailes believe that no one would notice if Palin the political correspondent suddenly stopped being present during one of the two biggest political events of the year?   It’s a little presumptuous to think that Palin would maintain “message discipline” after being dumped from the programming.

The outburst had its predictable impact, and Palin apparently returned to the air on the final day of the convention:

For now, both sides are making peace. Fox offered an olive branch this afternoon and returned Palin to the conversation via a phone interview with Megyn Kelly. Later tonight, she’ll be on with Sean Hannity and Neil Cavuto.

Palin probably needs Fox more than Fox needs Palin, but that doesn’t mean that Ailes can just dump Palin and expect to suffer no damage, either, especially with bizarre decisions like this.  If you’re paying a million bucks a year for the previous VP nominee to provide political analysis, why take her off the air during the conventions to make a point?  Why not do it when such a move will send the message to Palin but not be as obvious to everyone else, and still allow Fox to get maximum value from Palin when it counts?  It’s strange, and it looks more like personal animus than business sense.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Shh. We’re not supposed to notice the ratings bump they got when she was on, though BOR having a go at minimizing it was kind of amusing.

wolfsDad on August 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Indeed :)

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM

New Sarah Palin Facebook post

Last night wrapped up a convention that was very encouraging; so, thank you to all who worked hard to provide needed inspiration while focusing on the U.S. economy. And for all the great speeches we heard at the convention this week and those we’ll hear next week, I sincerely hope we as Americans, despite our political disagreements, will respectfully remember our brave men and women in uniform – for they are still in harm’s way so that we can sleep in peace. Our troops in Afghanistan have suffered terrible causalities this year. We don’t hear much about this lately. You never hear our troops complain though, even when it seems like some of us safely back home enjoying the freedoms they protect too easily forget their sacrifices. But the moms wearing blue and gold stars remember. The wives and husbands raising kids alone while their spouse is in a war zone remember. The kids whose mom and dad can’t be there for birthdays and school plays and skinned knees and graduations remember. Every American who loves freedom should remember.
To our U.S. troops over there, please know that we remember your sacrifice. We support and honor you, and we pray for your safe and speedy return home where you are loved and belong.

- Sarah Palin

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM

She was meant for politics not punditry. Her real talents are wasted at FOX. Hopefully she can find an alternate platform to speak from. Possibly as a figure head in a new conservative movement **silly dream**

Anyway
It’s OK not to be disappointed with FOX. When the best feelings you had about FOX were the first year you watched it …

BoxHead1 on August 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Has anyone compared her to Jesus yet?

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

It’s OK not to be disappointed with FOX

BoxHead1 on August 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Didn’t miss Palin and her aw-shucks one pattern commentary.
Sherman1864 on August 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Yet here you are..:)
idesign on August 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Point not made.

Sherman1864 on August 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM

So much anger from this for no apparent reason.

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Strange, this thread has more posts than most over on “Top Picks”, but it’s still on the Blog side.

Oh wait, she’s irrelevant, right? Right?!

ornery_independent on August 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

She’s well worth every penny FOX pays her. In fact, if they want to replace some of their worthless tokens, like Beckle, Colmes or Williams, that’d work for me. She won’t be dropping the F bomb on the air.

Kissmygrits on August 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

So, what you’re saying is that you actually know nothing about what her staff knew in terms of polling and research, and you’re just acting as if you knew she could magically compete in some political race.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Staff? What staff? Did she have a staff looking into her potential to run for president? Any sort of campaign apparatus and polling? Hell, she didn’t even put her toes in the pond. While everyone else was debating she was out there complaining and teasing. She sent out a fundraising email the day before she told everyone she wasn’t running.

Remember how she said she would decide by the end of September? Then she goes on Fox and says

“This is a serious decision, and I’ve engaged in serious deliberations. So within the next 24 hours don’t look for me to make a decision.”

She had 3 years to make a decision. Most thought she left her post as Alaska gov so she could make a run. Instead, we found out, just like with her bus tour, she’s a quitter and was never serious.

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Point not made.

Sherman1864 on August 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Yes, yes it was.

ornery_independent on August 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

You flatter yourself, MadCon is always like that.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 3:04 PM

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM

We started out sending smiley faces to each other. Let’s finish up that way. :-)

Mr. Arkadin on August 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I hear you. She’s not perfect.

But no one else with a large national presence has stepped up to defend and promote TeaParty values. And even with her problems she still has a tremendous amount of charisma. Who else is going to represent the small cleaner gov alternative to the GOP’s crony-ism and excess?

BoxHead1 on August 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Mr. Arkadin on August 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Sounds good to me. 

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Has anyone compared her to Jesus yet?

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Not within the last 20 minutes or so. Probably because everyone is busy at the moment kneeling on their caribou prayer rugs pointed in the direction of Wasilla.

JFS61 on August 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Are you delusional?

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM

BoxHead1 on August 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM

That’s true, BoxHead1, and I won’t disagree that she is fantastic out giving speeches. That was never my disagreement. She doesn’t really offer more than being a cheerleader, but, cheerleaders can be helpful, and she is. A good chunk of the 2010 midterm win can be handed to her.

But, on TV, asking for serious discourse about issues from her has gotten stale. We get homilies and not much else.

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Are you delusional?

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Are you capable of expanding on your slur into adult discourse, or, is that all you have?

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM

You flatter yourself, MadCon is always like that.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 3:04 PM

He/she flatters itself quite a bit. I wasn’t even angry.

But then, that’s what libs like CP do…they extrapolate anger where there is none, like MSNBC and the Tea Party.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

If Romney wins, Fox News is not going to want Sarah Palin telling the truth about the Romney administration. See Wednesday as an example of that. So I see her moving to CNN if Romney wins.

As for whether she is worth a million dollars a year to CNN, I bet the answer is an absolute yes. Maybe 3 times that amount.

First, CNN has a major credibility issue with conservatives, adding Palin would help that image quite a bit.

Secondly, CNN’s has an average viewership in prime time of just 350,000 viewers. Don’t you think there is atleast 35 thousand Palin supporters that would switch to CNN permantly because Palin is even occasionally there? Her last book, not her first book, but her last book sold 800,000 copies. I think atleast a 10% increase in prime time viewers and 20% increase in daytime would conservatively be worth a million dollars a year for a network.

She might not be worth a million for Fox, but she definately would be to CNN. The question is whether talking to only a half million instead of 2 million an appearence is good for Palin herself. If Romney wins, she might not have a choice.

KMav on August 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM

You stated that most people thought Palin resigned because she wanted to run for President, as if it had nothing to do with numerous ethics complaints and costing the State of Alaska Millions. Yes, I call your statement delusional.

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Don’t worry, after her speech tonight at the convention, everyone will fully realize how relevant the ‘cuda is. I think she comes on right after Wilfred Brimley and his magic ladder.

greataunty on August 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Well they preferred someone who had fronted the Administration’s initiatives, as of this winter, to someone that had challenged it on all fronts, giving all due credit to the sources she derived from,
from death panels to QE 2.

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

We are angry and we are all racist. They don’t even have to think, they let someone do it for them, like everything else if possible.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Has anyone compared her to Jesus yet?

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Impossible to compare any man (or woman) with Jesus.

Whoever’s in “second place” would qualify much closer to us than to him.

But Sarah does have a close relationship with Jesus, as do I.

What about you?

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM

And it’s free entertainment. Well other than the internet connection.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Good point Cindy! Its kinda the same reason I peek in on Kos and HuffPo from time to time. Who knew I could get the same entertainment value from the posters here? Could have saved the extra milage.

LOL! ; )

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM

She often speaks in homilies. I don’t mind that. Nothing new needs to be said. New complex and interesting solutions are always masks for more government programs. Though occasionally it is not a homily. The evil of “Crony capitalism” being just 1 idea that she made popular.

” on TV, asking for serious discourse ” is the reason. On TV you are reaching out to a larger group then the politically astute. Either way, she’s almost always right on the issues and she doesn’t pander like all the other “smart” shills/pundits. Add her natural charisma and that’s good enough for me. I agree that the punditry is getting stale and it’s not her A game.

BoxHead1 on August 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Most thought she left her post as Alaska gov so she could make a run.

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Most people were wrong. she left because being Governor was bankrupting her family.

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I am getting a little tired of Palin. She is way too full of herself and I was a fan. I don’t need her to tell me what I think anymore than I need the media to tell me.
Bow out gracefully Ms Palin1

Delsa on August 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM

You’re clueless..:)

Ted Cruz says Palins endorsement was Game Changing.

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM

No part of what I said touched on, or diminished, the impact of her endorsements. Also, I’m sure Cruz had nice things to say for everyone that endorsed him, and I suspect her endorsement helped, if in no other way than to bring national attention (and money) to his campaign.

I said she was unendurably boring as a pundit.

Should I put a smiley face here somewhere for you?

TexasDan on August 31, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Bow out gracefully Ms Palin1

Delsa on August 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Palin’s still standing, so sad for you..:)

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Now, was that too difficult? I disagree with your assessment, but, hey, you could be right. Or, she could simply be a quitter/wanted to cash in on her new found fame.

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I said she was unendurably boring as a pundit.

Should I put a smiley face here somewhere for you?

TexasDan on August 31, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Just for you..:)

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM
BoxHead1 on August 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I mistook homilies for catchphrases. I don’t ever use the term so… I guess you meant that she speaks like she’s making a speech?

BoxHead1 on August 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Like I said, you’re delusional..:)

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Impossible to compare any man (or woman) with Jesus.

Whoever’s in “second place” would qualify much closer to us than to him.

But Sarah does have a close relationship with Jesus, as do I.

What about you?

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Well I too know the difference between Jesus and Palin.

So some common ground there. :)

Some of the posters clearly do not. I’ll give Maddy a pass on that because he’s an atheist.

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Or, she could simply be a quitter/wanted to cash in on her new found fame.

William Teach on August 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Why would you assume negative motivations when non-negative motivations are equally plausible? I.e., benefit of the doubt. What is it about Mrs. Palin that she is not deserving of such?

alwaysfiredup on August 31, 2012 at 4:28 PM

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Well I too know the difference between Jesus and Palin.

So some common ground there. :)

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Okay.

You and I are (I guess) contrary in our interpretations of the comments by Palin fans.

It doesn’t come across to me as “worship”.

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Bow out gracefully Ms Palin1

Delsa on August 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Bow out of what ? . . . Being a payed pundit?
If you’re tired of her, you can ignore her.

If she is somehow “forcing” herself into your eyes and ears against your will, can you explain how that’s coming about?

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM

It doesn’t come across to me as “worship”.

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Very well, we disagree and that’s all in the game.

But with some of these people like idesign I am very much reminded of Psalm 146:3 and I trot it out when the Palin cultists go full on nuts.

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Impossible to compare any man (or woman) with Jesus.

Whoever’s in “second place” would qualify much closer to us than to him.

But Sarah does have a close relationship with Jesus, as do I.

What about you?

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Palin prays to GOD as I do, but it’s intersting that CorporatePiggy didn’t respond to that question…:)

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I am a Christian. :)

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I am a Christian. :)

CorporatePiggy on August 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Well we have something in commen..:)

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Common

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Two days after it’s found that Palin kicked Ryan’s butt in terms of ratings, Ed Morrissey who trashed Palin while butt kissing Ryan on his radio show, highlights a gossipy item while ignoring the more widely reported news about Ryan’s convention speech becoming a total bomb. Palin doesn’t bring a thousand viewers apparently, she brings viewers in terms of millions, twenty million more in fact. Take that haters.

By the way, the reason Fox nixed her interviews was because they didn’t want her to be seen the same Ryan was giving his lackluster speech. They didn’t want MSM and voters to compare their precious little nominee and notice the huge difference. For the same reason, the GOPe shills have been attacking her for the past year as being the bad veep nominee. To protect a failure like Ryan( or Rubio or Christie). As this convention showed, they are dwarves compared to her.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Sarah Palin needs to know when to bow out gracefully.

Let’s face it: Palin never did offer any particularly intelligent, interesting or insightful commentary on Fox News. She just never seemed like a good fit in an “analyst” role. And now she’s whining and complaining about getting her paycheck cut from 1 million dollars, even though she’s apparently not pulling in the viewers for Fox News to justify it? She’s going to walk away in a huff and add Fox News to the list of entities which have supposedly victimized her? Sigh. St. Palin the Victimized

Sarah Palin, your exit from the high profile Fox News role is for the best. Please don’t make a fool of yourself on your way out.

Sarah Palin, you can still post on Facebook/Twitter and campaign for and bring attention to lesser-known conservative candidates in the future. However, we just don’t see you as a serious, competent or qualified leader… but that doesn’t mean you can’t still have an impact in yoru own way… just as long as you are not seen as the face of conservatism or of the Republican Party. Maybe you can even post little YouTube videos for your followers who want to keep up-to-date on what’s happening in your life.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Sarah Palin’s worshipful followers (like the commenter quoted above and also childish posters like idesign) are a disgrace to conservatives and to Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin’s groupies are so jealous of Paul Ryan that they have taken to trash Paul Ryan whenever they can. The truth is that Paul Ryan is ten times more competent and qualified and impressive a candidate than Palin EVER was. And I say this as someone who was an enthusiastic supporter of Palin in 2008.

I’m so glad to have a VP candidate (Paul Ryan) this time around that we don’t have to constantly make excuses for and who won’t be at risk of an on-camera meltdown when asked questions as easy as, “what do you read?”

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM

You guys are sick.

“I pray to God. Do you? Oh, what’s that? You don’t? I’m better than you. hee hee ha ha. :-) ”

Ugh, you people are the worst Palin fans ever. You make Palin and social conservatives look terrible.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM

What are you babbling about? LOL

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Lol, the blue gill makes it’s appearance. I agree with what you said. Ryan is ten times more competent in increasing the size of the government. As proved by his voting record.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I find it interesting that the trolls here keep repeating memes like “lac of intellectual curiosity” which were first floated by GOPe talking heads. It’s funny to see somebody complain about intellectual curiosity after plagiarizing the stuff from MSM. Shows you who lacks intellectual curiosity.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM

The story I heard from Fox was that due to the compression of the convention from 4 days to 3 days, the spots where she had been scheduled were eliminated. That said, if Palin isn’t getting the ratings, then she just isn’t getting the ratings. I saw her on Fox with Hannity last night but I was actually paying more attention to the C-SPAN video feed of the speech that was going on at the time.

In my personal opinion she needs to decide what she wants to do when she grows up. Does she want to be a TV personality, does she want to be a political activist, does she want to be a politician. She could run for Senate in Alaska and I think that would be a good move for her if she wants to be a politician. If she wants to be more of a political activist she should probably move out of AK and down into the lower 48 someplace. If she wants to be a TV personality, she should probably try to spread her wings a bit beyond Fox and try getting some interviews on other networks.

But the bottom line is always ratings for TV news. TV is designed to sell ads. That is how they make their money. The “talent” on the screen is designed to draw eyeballs to those ads. The more eyeballs, the more the network can charge for those ads and the more profitable it is. If she doesn’t have the ratings, advertisers will either choose to air their commercials in other slots or not be willing to pay as much for a spot where Palin is appearing. Worst case they have to fill the ad slots with “run of the mill” bulk ads that were sold pretty cheap.

This isn’t about politics, it’s business. If she isn’t drawing the eyeballs, they aren’t going to want to pay her as much.

crosspatch on August 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM

crosspatch on August 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Romney central speaks…

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM

rayra on August 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM

No Ailes is definitely the man. He’s been pulling stunts like this and he keeps leaking to NYMAG again and again. We know his number.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Just business negotiations..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Just business negotiations..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Happy TGIF! Just business, but you wouldn’t know it by some of the remarks on this thread. ; )

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Happy TGIF!..I see what you mean..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I would imagine she like Romney is capable of doing whatever they please. They are both successful Adults. Funny you have to pull out a pathetic childlike comment crosspatch. Is growing up something you also look forward to doing someday?

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Happy TGIF!..I see what you mean..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM

; )

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 5:56 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Coming from you gilled one I am normally suspect of your comments. Especially as of late. You seem even more unhinged than usual. However looking terrible is something you are good at. Did I say good, I meant very good, in fact you are great at looking terrible. Bread Ball?

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM

As proved by his voting record.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

“Proven” was the word you were looking for.

That’s cute. You even have the folksy bad grammar like Sarah.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM

It’s called concurrent opinions. They happen every so often. The difference here is that they said stuff like that based on a sample size of zero. We’re saying it now based on four years of Sarah. The writing was on the wall when that C-U-Next-Tuesday, Katie Couric, asked her about which papers she reads. Her inability to think on her feet and offer up a cogent reply to such a simple question is what they were basing it upon.

Some of us (myself included) chalked it up to nerves and unfamiliarity with politics on a national stage. Unfortunately, after a fair number of observations, we can now conclude the same thing they did. She lacks intellectual curiosity. My honest opinion – she probably doesn’t read anything but whichever local paper is laying around.

So what was the difference between the GOP talking heads in the MSM and me/us? I had a desire to see her succeed. They viewed her as a threat to their structure and attacked immediately. In this instance, it just so happens they were right. I told myself and anyone who would listen a story that fit what we all wanted to believe.

Sad fact is, she’s more than capable. But she lacks the ability to think on her feet that one needs to get into that office. I already said I agree with her on 99% of what she says. It’s just that she rarely has an original thought. She’s still parroting the same things she talked about 4 years ago. The conversation evolves, yet she just keeps repeating herself. It’s like listening to Sean Hannity.

It’s not that she’s wrong. It’s not that she isn’t smart. It’s that she doesn’t add anything to the conversation. There’s no research that comes from her camp. There’s no inventive ways to get the message out. She pops out a couple facebook posts every now and then, shows up to talk to Greta every so often, throws around an endorsement (to her credit) when true conservatives are in the race, but when she speaks – it’s essentially saying the same thing she said in her 2008 RNC speech.

She is like listening to Bon Jovi. The first time you heard it, you wanted to go running down the street with your hair on fire and bust through a brick wall. Now – when every song sounds the same as the last one – you just want to turn the station. She’s just not that exciting anymore.

She still serves a valuable purpose to the party. She just isn’t the female Reagan so many of you folks want to believe she is. Her political future is as a kingmaker – not as a leader in the party.

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I have watched Fox since it’s inception particularly O’Reilly, lately I have noticed his lack of defending conservative values and seems to have more and more liberals as guests and is agreeing and defending them more.
My first dissapointment with him was when they dismissed Michelle Malkin and kept that bigoted/racist Rivera, and they just keep hiring more and more Liberals,makes me wonder what Soros is holding over their heads, soon ALL media will be liberal.
Even this week O’Reilly was so dismissive of the GOP convention I guess everyone really does have their ptice, wonder what FOX’S was.
Thank God for the internet, cancelling cable will save me money.

concernedsenior on August 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Funny, because I remember she and her camp putting out the crony capitalism platform, specifically Throw Them All Out, before Romney or GOPe thought of making it an issue. I remember her mentioning the STOCK Act first, ahead of anybody else, and the Democratic President of US seizing on the idea and enacted it into law. I remember after she made crony capitalism the central plank of her reform platform, everyone in the GOPe who were not interested in it before, from Romney to the Bushes, plagiarizing her ideas. I remember her severely torpedoing Obamacare by using two words: death panels, and no less than Obama administration officials admitted that they were terrified of that assault. In fact, the things that she says are so golden, that the so called intellectual Paul Ryan, stealing them and using them in his own campaign, after four years.

Reagan was a good conservative president but he did not build a viable conservative movement that would survive after he left office. Once he left, the RINOS has subsumed his legacy and made sure no more Reagans arise in the party. She’s no Reagan and he task is harder than Reagan’s was. She’s a great leader in her own right and her work is just beginning. She’s building a conservative movement from scratch and long after the vanity trip of Romney/Ryan is over, her effect will be felt across the universe.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Oh, and what new things are said by Romney? Believe in America? LMAO.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Oh, and what new things are said by Romney? Believe in America? LMAO.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Well the Mittwits were excited when Romney uttered “well bless his heart” ..:)

Too bad he cribbed it from Palin.

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM

And she helped torpedo cap n trade, after the House including Castle and Kirk passed it. And her instincts on the Arab Spring, not to mention the Arab Spring were on point, btw how is that platform plank.

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I don’t care what she gets paid- if Fox was dumb enough to hand the diva dunce a fat paycheck for doing almost nothing, that’s on them.
What I do object to is watching Fox News in the hopes of getting some new information or insight, an angle I’d not considered before. Instead I get Palin lazily phoning it in with nothing interesting, intelligent, or informative to say.
We have too many political celebrities mouthing boilerplate as it is. We need more Bill Buckleys and Milton Friedmans and fewer Sarah Palins. That she has a small contingent of fanatically uncritical, cultish, celebrity-worshipping fans of her brand of shallowness doesn’t change that.
Hollowpoint on August 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Brilliant comment. VERY well put.

Fox News and conservatives can do much better than a Sarah Palin. That doesn’t mean we hate her or don’t think she can make positive contributions in the future.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Or think she CAN’T make positive contributions, I mean

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM

LOL

Just for you..:)

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Or this measure, which of course has the debunked wardrobe and other stories, but compared to Schmidt;

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 6:53 PM

FOX news is just another news network-see Marytyler moore show. If they don’t want her in prime time then I hope Palin bolts. I’d love to see her on all the news stations doing interviews. She looked good on ABC during the Iowa State Fair doing live press and getting questioned. FOX is too uptight anyway. It’s a bunch of Ted Baxter(ettes).

FTR FOX isn’t a horror house filled with ghouls like MSNBC is. I’m not complaining. I can watch sometimes Ted Baxter.

BoxHead1 on August 31, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Sarah Palin was so ridiculously overrated it boggles the mind. Sometimes I feel embarrassed for those Sarah Palin groupies who make excuses for her 24/7.

As a conservative, a 2008 McCain/Palin voter and a strong supporter of our amazing Romney/Ryan ticket, it disgusts me to see so-called Sarah Palin fans like idesign and promachus try to attack Mitt and Paul Ryan out of petty jealousy. How sick that a handful of Palin groupies essentially declare, “if Sarah Palin can’t be elected president, then no Republican will be! The country be darned!”

How pathetic. These people are Sarah Palin personality cult followers, not people who care about what’s best for the country. They are card-carrying members of the church of St. Palin the Victimized.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I forgot that. lol. It was funny how all Mittbots were drooling and making blog posts about Mittens saying something so original.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

And to think, he was congratulating her just a few days ago, very earnestly, for urging people to vote for Mitt.

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Palin is “worth” whatever she and FOX agree upon.

What’s with the “she doesn’t deserve this much for what she does” attitude here at HotGas, that’s what leftists say.

Bishop on August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Right. I’d only add, whether you think she’s worth it is only relevant if you’re “in the market,” so to speak.

I’ll have to admit, though, that I’ve never understood why O’Reilly is worth the money he’s getting from Fox News. Still, they continue to pay him…

tom on August 31, 2012 at 7:09 PM

What after that vigorous interrogation he gave Obama, before the Superbowl, that’s ‘looking out for the folks’

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Once again BG, you don’t get it.

If Romney had the record of Palin or Walker or even McDonnell for Jindal, we’d be slapping his bumper sticker on everything in sight and knocking on doors.

Any animosity that conservatives and libertarians have against Romney is that his actual record is as a Leftist.

That’s all it is. It’s his RECORD. It’s that simple.

I hope he wins, but like I’ve said before several times on the net, the problem with Romney will be IF and AFTER he gets to the White House.

He may be a moderate and the national deterioration will continue.

He could win this election outright simply by announcing he would bring our troops home from Afghanistan and stop asking them to do the impossible: nation-build that country into a constitutional republic.

I could take 20 dogs for a walk before anybody could bring a nation out of the mess of Afghanistan.

However, Mittens is afraid to stand on the issue just as Obama was afraid three times to take out OBL.

He lacks courage.

Let’s hope he changes and begins the gradual march back from the brink towards ordered liberty.

It is gonna be a tough job keeping this dog focused.

KirknBurker on August 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM

i assume most people here noticed that that new york article had that snarky anti-sarah bias that we sarah supporters are used to when it comes from most of the media. sigh.

plus it was very gossipy, exaggerated, and not well sourced. this looks like rumor right now. i want actual sources, actual facts please. i do think there’s some kind of trouble between sarah and fox, but i don’t know the details.

here’s what i do know: we (sarah supporters) will always have her back, especially if others are treating her unfairly in some way. if it becomes clearly known (fact, not rumor) that fox is mistreating her, then fox, new york magazine, and everyone else will see what a real “outburst” looks like.

Sachiko on August 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM

If a story appears in the MSM about Sarah Palin that is gossipy and claims nastiness behind the scenes, the odds are it’s planted by one of her enemies. This particular one claims emotionalism and an inability for Sarah Palin to deal profesionally, so that she has to let her husband do it for her.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but have we really seen any indication that she’s so difficult to work with that wasn’t planted by political enemies? (And the media being what it is, that takes in a lot of territory.)

Skepticism is in order.

As for her relevance, if all you’re looking at is the presidential campaign, you could easily assume she’s irrelevant. But it would be foolish to forget that her focus has been on winning Congressional races, where she’s been quite effective.

Also, if you’re analyzing her as a political pundit on issues, you’re missing the point. It’s her political expertise that makes her relevant, such as her feel for who is a solid candidate and who isn’t, or how much a candidate’s flub hurts him. And of course she’s not infallible, here, but neither is anyone else.

As long as people want to hear what Sarah Palin has to say, she’ll be worth something to news shows. I don’t really see that changing any time soon. Whether she’s worth a specific salary depends on the one paying her that salary.

And never forget the purpose of a leak or “inside information” is almost always to push a particular version of a story. This seems more likely to me than the version published by the New Yorker.

tom on August 31, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Yes, it’s funny about that, I mean Ed could have picked the Cavuto segment where she gave some sage advice to Romney, but what’s the point there.

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Oh, and what new things are said by Romney? Believe in America? LMAO.

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The GOP has the upper hand in a discussion about Medicare. Never thought we’d see the day. Now go back to the Sarah poster in your mom’s basement.

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM

A palin thread?? you don’t say? anyway just posting so as not to disappoint.

Bradky on August 31, 2012 at 9:22 PM

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 6:01 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

You guys are entertainment value in a Palin thread. I used to get irritated at the noise you folks make. Now I can’t wait to see what absurdity, stupidity and sheer, unadulterated arrogance you’ll post next. Especially bluegill. I went through all the comments with baited (no pun intended) breath just waiting to see when the fishy one would show up, and with what pearls of “wisdom” he/she/it would favor us. It’s becoming so amusing to find out!

promachus on August 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

tom on August 31, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Bingo. Both dead on point.

theotherone on August 31, 2012 at 9:35 PM

ornery_independent on August 31, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I agree with you and the other two commenters you copied. Especially regarding the reason being the Romney/RNC Rule Changes.
They indeed wanted this story buried, as this was a betrayal of the grassroots; i.e. Tea Party & Conservatives.

I think this was why the enthusiasm and attendance at the Convention was down.

The Tea Party, Conservatives and all grassroots got the message:
You are not important and not needed, We “built that.”

Can’t speak for anyone else that understands what actually took place, but I am livid!

Regarding Sarah Palin, she’s building something:-)

bluefox on August 31, 2012 at 9:48 PM

For someone “irrelevant”, it is interesting that Romney adopted her energy platform in his 5 point plan. Just sayin’

karenhasfreedom on August 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM

theotherone on August 31, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I have just as many concerns about Romney. If you look around, you’ll be hard pressed to find a post from me cheerleading Mitt. I have concerns about the rule changes too. Just calling on the Sarahbots on here to stop worshipping her like a Dem on Obama. She’s not as relevant as you think she is. You guys are rooting for the cheerleader at a football game.

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM

In regards to BoxHead1′s comment, you are right about the best years of FoxNews. They look more and more like CNN everyday. There is certainly no shortage of that radical liberal Juan Williams on it. Heard a rumor they were going to give him a hour show, just what everybody needs.

savage24 on August 31, 2012 at 10:37 PM

They are watering down their brand, MSNBC is a wholy owned subsidiary of the netroots, CNN is just clueless, and Foz should be the conservative networkm but much like the Times and Much of the Telegraph, it’s less and less distinctive.

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Meh. It’s an uphill climb to argue Palin’s supposed incompetence, when the evidence of her track record speaks for itself–if you have the courage to accept it. But you’ll notice I agreed with ted c’s earlier comment:

And of course she’s not infallible, here, but neither is anyone else.

I don’t think she’s infallible, either, nor do I believe she walks on water. And like promachus stated, she’s no Reagan. That’s not to say she couldn’t become one, if she continues on her present course. She’s still pretty young.

Plus–if you insist upon parroting the same absurdities re: Palin that bluegill does, don’t be surprised if you wind up in the fallout.

theotherone on August 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM

How pathetic. The poor little gilled one feels Victimized.

bluegill on August 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Rent Free! You poor insignificant stink fish. Funny! Pathetic! You just can’t help yourself. Bread Ball? Lol!

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM

bluegill
on August 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

As long as I know you “feel embarrassed for me”, I’ll sleep better.

listens2glenn on August 31, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Meh. It’s an uphill climb to argue Palin’s supposed incompetence, when the evidence of her track record speaks for itself–if you have the courage to accept it. /

What is her track record I am missing here? She was a competent Governor of Alaska. OK. She had enough charisma to get the base out in 2008. Fair enough. She’s carried that charisma forward to get some solid conservatives through primaries. I already celebrated that.

But when you sit down and listen to her speak on TV, what is it she is adding to the conversation. How is she advancing the cause. Not maintaining the Conservative line with the same 4 or 5 points she’s been making for the last 4 years, but really moving the discussion forward?

I am no Mitt fan – but probably the most daft move of any Republican in the last 8 years was his selection of Paul Ryan and making the IMMEDIATE pivot to attacking Obama on Medicare.

Medicare – an issue that no Republican has been able to be taken seriously on since its inception. He took it head on and it is now pretty much the center plank in his platform.

This is where Sarah lacks the “intellectual curiosity”. She is fixated on hard-line of conservative principles, and in this case, Romney was smart enough to see the world for what it is and work within it.

Medicare is not going away tomorrow. We all agree that no true Conservative would celebrate Medicare as a concept – and would fight it tooth and nail if it were rolled out by the Dems today. However, if you embrace the notion that you cannot repeal it tomorrow, you can start to do the dirty work of getting more free-market principles integrated, make the existing product more solvent by extending the eligibility age in baby steps, and keep the bottom from falling out of our budget.

These are the types of inventive and imaginative ideas Sarah lacks. Ryan and Romney found a chink in Obama’s Medicare armor and continue to exploit it as we speak.

Okay – but what example would you give that would tell me “keep an eye on this one – look what she’s doing!” I can point to more than one Reagan speech prior to his election that told everyone this was a force to be reckoned with. Trust me – I look for it in Sarah – because I like her a lot. She is remarkable at delivering the red meat for the base. Her charisma in the party is rivaled only by Marco and maybe the Fat Man. (I’m taking charisma – not conservative bona fides)

But, the only way she’s ever going to wash off the stank from the molestation that she endured in the ’08 election is if she starts to appeal to everyone, not just the base. As el Rushbo often says – Conservatism, WHEN WELL ARTICULATED – always wins. I have yet to see her as the person that is articulating conservatism to the knuckleheads in our nation. I have yet to meet a Palin Democrat. I don’t think I ever will. She may forever be tainted by the hit job the LSM did on her in 2008. But – that’s kinda my point. She lacks the intellectual firepower to battle through that.

theotherone on August 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 11:55 PM

theotherone on August 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Bluegill throws $#!t against the wall and sees what kind of reaction he can get from whatever sticks. Not a serious discussion to be had with him. I would like to think I present myself as being a little more serious than that. Lend me a little credit.

CycloneCDB on August 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM

bluegill on August 31, 2012

…why don’t you stay on this thead… for a few days?

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The Rogue Tomato on August 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Nappy is a 9/11 truther and a friend of Alex Jones. I’m glad that worthless truther illegitimate child got cashiered!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM

KOOLAtheotherone on August 31, 2012 at 11:03 PM

We used to think of Sarah Palin as the Paris Hilton of politics; i.e., somewhat of a flash in the pan and always looking to get some attention for herself. People kept wondering how long her 15 minutes would last, but she kept popping up, continuing to cause some trouble here or winding up in some headlines. Paris, like Palin, was never known for her intellect, but maintained her celebrity and waning influence through a combination of reality television, book deals, Twitter postings to fans and frequent guest appearances on cable tv shows.

Now, Palin’s Fox News gig looking to be in jeopardy and the country no longer viewing Palin as any kind of serious political figure. With Palin desperately trying to hold on to her fame and media influence, we can now see Palin more as the Gloria Swanson or Joan Crawford of politics. The world has moved on, but Palin still relives in her head every night that moment she stepped out on the 2008 RNC convention stage and read the speech written by Matt Scully. Palin seems unwilling to both step away from the spotlight and to acknowledge that others are taken over the role she once had.

Palin ought to bow out gracefully, of course, but that doesn’t mean she still can’t have SOME role in races here and there. For the good of conservatism and the Republican Party, however, she just shouldn’t be a major or leading personality in national politics.

bluegill on September 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM

As conservatives, we love Sarah Palin. This does not imply worship but we respect her devotion and skill and we trust that she loves America and believe with her heart in liberty and justice for all. She has a public record and we’ve seen it and it’s sparkling clean. We conservatives know that SP is the real deal. Yeah, there might be some vanity and Machiavellian strategy. She’s not a saint and she loves money like any red blooded American.But we conservatives also see that she’s sacrificed for the good of the country. Sure she is always cribbing from Reagan but that’s what we conservatives want. We don’t need some hot shot to reinvent the wheel. And besides we conservatives are just calling like it is when we cheer on an awesome SP speech or FB post. She has some duds but we conservatives see clearly when she nails it and when she nails it it’s one hit clean and loud. We conservatives see all those fumbles and stumbles of all the R young guns and we conservatives see how it would be lights out if any of them got tested SP style. We conservatives aren’t ready to let those weasels destroy a good and patriotic women. …

BoxHead1 on September 1, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Well, I like Palin but in my opinion she is spreading herself too thin and needs to focus and charge. She is doing her stuff up in AK such as the salmon fishing. She is doing her facebook stuff. She is doing commentary with Fox. She travels some around the country campaigning for others but she isn’t doing a lot of or really focused on any of these things, or at least it doesn’t look that way. Now, mind you, she is a mom with a special needs child, too. That certainly adds more to the mix. I’m just saying that if I were her, I would pick one thing and focus.

My suggestion for her would be a Senate run.

crosspatch on September 1, 2012 at 4:40 AM

NY Magazine Publishes Anti-Palin Hit-Piece Using No Sources and No Data

Posted on August 31 2012 – 3:21 PM – Posted by: Stacy Drake | Follow Stacy on Twitter!

It’s safe to say that something just wasn’t right the other day when Governor Palin took to Facebook to write:

I’m sorry Fox cancelled all my scheduled interviews tonight because I sure wanted to take the opportunity on the air to highlight Senator John McCain’s positive contributions to America, to honor him, and to reflect on what a biased media unfairly put him through four years ago tonight.

Fox seemed to have worked out whatever issue they said they were having because the Governor was back on to discuss the RNC on Thursday evening. What’s curious however, is while covering the story, Gabriel Sherman of New York Magazine claims to have spoken with some Fox executives who, he claims were less than kind or honest about Governor Palin. Sherman wrote:

Last night’s kerfuffle between Sarah Palin and Fox News was a classic display of Sarah Palin being, well, Sarah Palin. But her Facebook outburst complaining about Fox canceling her appearance at the Republic National Convention reveals something deeper about Palin’s often rocky relationship with the network. Palin’s contract is up in January, and according to sources, Fox News executives are now weighing what kind of deal they would sign, if they sign one at all.

If by “Sarah Palin being, well, Sarah Palin” he means, being honest and gracious to a friend, then yes, that was Sarah Palin being Sarah Palin. He goes on:

Essentially, Palin and Fox are in the early stages of an elaborate contract negotiation. Palin earns roughly $1 million per year from Fox, making her the highest paid contributor at the network. Fox executives have been disappointed with her ratings.

Wait a minute… He states that “Fox executives have been disappointed with her ratings” but he doesn’t give any names of executives, nor does he give any data to back up the claim. This is nothing more than unsourced rubbish.

The reality is that Governor Palin is a big ratings draw. The special she did with Eric Bolling was a huge success for the Fox network, and she was recently rated #1 in Mediaite power rankings for television analysts. She also gave NBC a an enormous rating boost when she co-hosted the Today Show back in April.

Sherman then noted:

How does he know if she’s disappointed with anything? He didn’t interview her for the story, so what does he base this line on? Did Fox executives tell him that? He doesn’t state specifically, but next he writes (emphasis):

Oh, please, Governor Palin doesn’t need Fox to maintain anything. The important work that she does in promoting reform-minded, commonsense Conservative candidates keeps her busy, and trust me, candidates want her to be visible around their campaigns.

Also, any network would love to have Governor Palin on as a guest, and certainly have her as a regular analyst. Just consider the fact that Piers Morgan was begging Governor Palin to come on his show the moment he learned Fox had cancelled her interviews:

Wednesday evening, he took to Twitter to invite Palin on his show: “If Fox don’t want you tonight @SarahPalinUSA – come on my show. Be happy to talk about @SenJohnMcCain with you,” he wrote.

Politicker asked him about his attempts to get her on the show: “I’m serious, if she’s fallen out with Fox, I’d love to get her on. It’s the one reason we haven’t had her since I’ve been on air, because of her contract with Fox,” Morgan said, referring to her ongoing exclusivity contract with Fox News.

“Clearly, if she’s had an issue with them and can now do us, I’d love to interview her.”

If Mr. Sherman did indeed talk to Fox executives for his article, it doesn’t speak well for the network. Governor Palin has been good for Fox News, increased their viewership, and added her much needed perspective to the dialog on that channel. But we don’t know if Sherman really spoke to anyone because he doesn’t give any names. He expects people to just take his word for it, in a time and age where distrust in the media is at an all time high. Regardless if he did or not, what he’s selling to his readers is just another false narrative designed to degrade and downplay Governor Palin’s influence. The facts are not on Sherman’s side no matter who is responsible for the phony reality he tries to pass off as “journalism.”

ChuckTX on September 1, 2012 at 6:15 AM