Palin, Fox at odds in contract negotiations?

posted at 10:01 am on August 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

One of the most curious developments at the Republican convention took place far away from the delegate floor.  Two events appeared for a short time to be part of the same story: the announcement of the “mystery speaker,” and the sudden cancellation of Sarah Palin’s interviews on Fox News.  Palin, the Republican Party’s previous VP nominee, would have provided some intriguing commentary on the night when her successor spoke, and so some — myself included — thought Palin’s spots must have been canceled because she had become a participant in this convention.  When it became clear that Clint Eastwood had agreed to speak, it left many of us wondering exactly why Palin’s Fox appearances had been canceled at the time when she had the most value as a commentator.

New York Magazine reported yesterday that the cancellations were due to a power play in contract negotiations, and that Palin might find herself in search of a new platform:

Essentially, Palin and Fox are in the early stages of an elaborate contract negotiation. Palin earns roughly $1 million per year from Fox, making her the highest paid contributor at the network. Fox executives have been disappointed with her ratings; Palin has been disappointed by Fox’s decision to not give her top billing on bookings. According to sources, the relationship at times has gotten so bad that much communication has been conducted via Palin’s husband Todd. One thing is clear: It’s risky for her to push the envelope too far. Fox has been a central pillar of Palin’s national reach since quitting the governorship, and without the network’s platform, it’s unclear how she could maintain even her current, much-diminished level of visibility.

Palin’s Facebook outburst surely didn’t endear her to Roger Ailes, who prizes message discipline and loyalty among his troops.

Well, that cuts both ways, does it not?  Palin posted her Facebook “outburst” in response to a large amount of curiosity as to why she’d been removed from the air.  Did Ailes believe that no one would notice if Palin the political correspondent suddenly stopped being present during one of the two biggest political events of the year?   It’s a little presumptuous to think that Palin would maintain “message discipline” after being dumped from the programming.

The outburst had its predictable impact, and Palin apparently returned to the air on the final day of the convention:

For now, both sides are making peace. Fox offered an olive branch this afternoon and returned Palin to the conversation via a phone interview with Megyn Kelly. Later tonight, she’ll be on with Sean Hannity and Neil Cavuto.

Palin probably needs Fox more than Fox needs Palin, but that doesn’t mean that Ailes can just dump Palin and expect to suffer no damage, either, especially with bizarre decisions like this.  If you’re paying a million bucks a year for the previous VP nominee to provide political analysis, why take her off the air during the conventions to make a point?  Why not do it when such a move will send the message to Palin but not be as obvious to everyone else, and still allow Fox to get maximum value from Palin when it counts?  It’s strange, and it looks more like personal animus than business sense.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Is she really worth a million bucks a year as a pundit and one or two hour-long specials? I like Palin, but I think FoxNews is probably wanting to re-up her for far less than that if they’re to extend her contract.

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM

hurt the hell out of their ratings I think. Honey Boo Boo on TLC may have pulled more….
jus sayin…

ted c on August 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I didn’t think it was possible to take a bad picture of SP, but you’ve apparently found one…

bofh on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Palin probably needs Fox more than Fox needs Palin

Wow. That’s quite the indictment, but also true. Up to two years so, she was THE conservative rock star. Now with bona fide current office holders like Ryan, Rubio, Haley and Christie, the Palin era is over.

YYZ on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

It’s strange, and it looks more like personal animus than business sense.

Hear, hear, Ed.

4Grace on August 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Her interview with Neil Cavuto, on RealClearPolitics, had to me undertones of sour grapes from the opening. The Republicans need to adapt a “mea culpa” attitude when confronted by Democrats? Really? And just last night Romney was talking about another “apology tour”. Yeah, she says a lot of good things. But as with Romney, she’s not some deity who doesn’t have her share of dumb things said, too.

Marcus on August 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Because it shows they’re serious.

xblade on August 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I’m guessing she won’t go to Current TV

radjah shelduck on August 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

As much as I love Sarah Palin, she really is boring to listen to on Fox as an analyst. I am surprised she is paid that much. Not surprising is the fact that they soon realized her ratings aren’t that good.

She does a fine job of helping the tea party and endorsing solid candidates. She should stick to that and help true conservatives win at the polls.

Leave the talking head positions to people like Dick Morris, who actually has interesting analysis. That is when Hannity can shut his own yapper for all of 2 seconds and let his guests actually speak.

johnnyboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

XYZ is Correct.

I can’t wait to hear what she has to say about the DNC convention

Philo Beddoe on August 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Palin has been disappointed by Fox’s decision to not give her top billing on bookings. According to sources.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

umm, yeah, she’s NOT getting TOP BIllING….suuuurree.

This may just be the biggest load of horsesh*t I’ve ever
read on this website.

And no, I don’t care who these Sources are, because
they were pulled out of someone’s azz.

PART 2:

Fox executives have been disappointed with her ratings;

My bad, THIS IS DEFINITELY THE BIGGEST LOAD OF
HORSEH*T EVER..care to print HER ratings???
Last time I checked they’re off the charts, but hey,
Fox is disappointed in them.

HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA!!!

ToddPA on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Really? A MILLION DOLLARS??? For what she does on Fox? Really? That isn’t good enough?? This actually makes me sick. I’m with Roger Ailes.

djl130 on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Fox does have the upper hand if her ratings don’t support her salary, but they look like buffoons here.

Looks like Sarah continues to be classy. Maybe it’s time for her to move on.

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

YYZ on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

you lose credibility when you say such a blatant falsehood. shame on you.

Sarah doesn’t need stinkin’ faux anymore.

Sarah and Clint going rogue.

renalin on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

For a million bucks a year, Palin should be doing a regular nightly or weekly show.

Look, I like Palin – but $1 million a year for what she does is way too much.

DRayRaven on August 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

YYZ on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Your Bath Salt shipment just arrived….

ToddPA on August 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM

YYZ on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Marcus on August 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Did you hear a dog whistle? heh..

ChuckTX on August 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

No way to respond to this without unleashing the hounds, but…her appearances have become rather dull. I know what she’s going to say before she says it, and because she’s not on the “inside” she can’t offer any inside baseball a la Rove and Morris. The phrase “one-trick pony” comes to mind. She needs to broaden her appeal, maybe start some kind of conservative grass roots advocacy organization or join up with Heritage or some other group, so she has something new to say from time to time. The interviews from Alaska with the fireplace behind her where she says the same thing over and over has just gotten boring, and it must be showing in her ratings.

Just my two cents.

Rational Thought on August 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

the Palin era is over.

YYZ on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The media may think/hope so, but I believe many conservatives would disagree.

4Grace on August 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I’m a Palin fan..yet I’m not sure that she’s worth what she thinks she is. I would be curious if she actually delivers ratings bang for all those bucks.

search4truth on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Ed , why this hit piece on Palin?

the_nile on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Hey Ed, I heard you trashing Palin on Catholic radio…

What’s up with that?

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Holy cow!! Is FNC really paying SP a million bucks a year?!?!

I mean, she’s entertaining and all… but a million per year?? For what amounts to a part time gig?

JohnGalt23 on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

personal animus from obama

personal animus from faux

personal animus from mitt

i’m starting to see a pattern.

renalin on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Boy, can we fall for some left wing memes.

My guess is that Mitt had 3 speaking slots at the ready – Eastwood, Palin, and hologram Reagan. So, Palin had to drop out in case they used her.

Carry on though.

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I’m tired of Palin.

gerrym51 on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Unfortunately this board will get invested by both Palin-haters & Palinbots in 3…2…1…

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Why is everything about her and her family so…..dramatic?

English Springer on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I don’t like my commentary to take on the trappings of a bad soap opera. As much a I agree with Gov. Palin’s ideology, it may be time to get back to public service and policy, that is where she shines.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

As a random side question; why the hell does O’reily get such good ratings? The guy doesn’t even know what the internet is. He has to get people like Mary Katherine to explain it to him.

Seriously people… seriously.

johnnyboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Come on, it’s Palinistas, get it right!!!

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Hey Ed, I heard you trashing Palin on Catholic radio…

What’s up with that?

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Ed’s a company man and follows his marching orders.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. The main difference is how mistakes are dealt with. Often times it becomes more important than the original infraction.

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Two words…Paula Zahn….

She was a star at Fox, huge ratings, than she got a little feisty and now she is where? Maybe hosting a couple of art shows?

Palin, you are great, but as someone once said when asked how they would replace the person that fired….”The graveyards are full of people who could not be replaced”.

Know your place, you were the highest paid contributor, when you were the highest rated contributor…”WERE” is the key word.

If you are truly a capitalistic, than you know that you are worth what the market says you are…and you are not worth as much as you were.

Be happy with 3/4 mil or 1/2 mil for your few hours (if that much) of work a week.

right2bright on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

YYZ on August 31, 2012

If she had been given a speaking slot at the convention I’m sure she would have knocked it out of the park much the same as Rubio and Ryan. But, out of all the pols old and new, she was the only major voice told to sit down and shut up. Why do you think this is? Certainly not because she no longer has any effect.

JonPrichard on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

search4truth on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

She cannot force them to pay anything , it’s a free market.

the_nile on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Palin probably needs Fox more than Fox needs Palin

Uh, yeah…no. Palin did plenty on her own before she was ever a Fox contributor.

YYZ on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Ryan, Rubio, and Christie “bona fide”? Office holders, maybe. Ryan hasn’t won VP yet. They are not bona fide conservatives, however, in comparison to Palin. Haley is the only one you mentioned that has legislated as they preach.

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Ed’s a company man and follows his marching orders.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Who knew…

the_nile on August 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

bofh on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I’m sure they spent a lot of time searching for it.

The Rogue Tomato on August 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I killed my cable a year ago, about the same time Fox ditched Beck and Judge Napolitano in a move leftward.

Clint Eastwood may not be able to do “that” to himself, but Fox can.

ornery_independent on August 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

johnnyboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

It’s a mystery! If you really want to see stupid in action, talk gasoline prices.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

If only Palin were stone-cold insane, she would get a nice offer from MSNBC.

Bishop on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM

You used to make sense, not any more.

HerneTheHunter on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

22044 on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Brilliant…yeah, it would be only supporters or detractors, since they are the only ones who would find interest in this…duhhhhh!!!

right2bright on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Hey Ed, I heard you trashing Palin on Catholic radio…

What’s up with that?

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Maybe you should listen for comprehension. I wasn’t trashing Palin, or even criticizing her.

Ed , why this hit piece on Palin?

the_nile on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

And maybe you should read for comprehension. I’m taking her side.

Ed Morrissey on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

What Sarah wants, Sarah gets..:)

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

That picture is racist.

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

JonPrichard on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yup. They had Akin/Huckabee , Jeb Bush, Mccain.

the_nile on August 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

It’s strange, and it looks more like personal animus than business sense.

I think Mitt Romney is behind it.

/sarc

It’s alway personal according to you guys whenever Palin is involved. It can never be about business…you know, the way it is with EVERYBODY else. No, Fox is out to get her. That’s why they hired her in the first place…so they could humiliate her at the RNC Convention by pulling her spot after letting her believe she’d have a prominent role. Diabolical I tells ya.

xblade on August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

If fox was smart they would give her a show of her own, even if it is once weekly. It would allow her to highlight up and coming local along with national candidates. Palin usually is much more in touch with what the grass root issues are. I would welcome seeing her question politicians on topics like crony capitalism that are ignored by most media.

Had Palin had her own show, bet Atkin would not have won the primary. To provide her with the larger platform to give voice to rising pols would be great.

D.L.Mc on August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Who’s Morris? I mean, I know there’s a Dick Morris, but surely you don’t mean him.

YYZ on August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Ed Morrissey on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Not true….

Could you repeat what you said comparing Palin to Ryan?

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I agree. I like her, but she seems better with crowds. I think she’s gotten dumber the longer that she provides analysis. I think she’s becoming irrelevant. She needs to find an office or something and get back in the game.

That said, maybe Team Romney wanted to stay as far away from her as possible, but I’ll bet she’d have done Romney better than Eastwood did.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Palin to succeed because she plays a great role, but I think she’s running herself into irrelevance.

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Well, Sherman, is always a suspect source, a step above McGuinness, but as NewsCorp has move away from the Tea Party, hiring Jesse Jackson’s daughter, and one of Soros’s community organizers, it’s not totally out of the question,

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Rational Thought on August 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM

And you can keep your two cents firmly to yourself!

HerneTheHunter on August 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

If Romney makes a hash of his first year or so, Palin will be back with a vengeance.

OldEnglish on August 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

In case people haven’t noticed…America is moving on, Palin is great, she was greater…but sometimes things change, and it makes some things less relevant.
Palin is still relevant in creating energy, firing up the base…but maybe journalism isn’t her strong point. And her rating reflect that.

Just because you are not a great at one thing, doesn’t mean you are not worthy of other opportunities…she should take what is offered, and look to find her niche. It may not be commentary.

right2bright on August 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I dunno. I was as enamored as the next guy of Sarah four years ago. But I was about an half hour behind the convention on the dvr last night, and I found myself skipping through her ‘analysis.’

There wasn’t any insight, and she seemed a little stale. Maybe like a ship trying to sail on yesterday’s wind.

Typhoon on August 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I love Sarah Palin and I think she was done wrong by the press, the dems, and a bunch of the McCain people. She’s got to change some stuff up though. Leaving office early was a major mistake. She should go get elected again and serve out an entire term as governor or in congress. It would restore some of the credibility she lost and it would give her a chance to rack up some fresh legislative accomplishments. She would be more effective that way. And by engaging in policy matters on a daily basis she would be better prepared to engage in interviews with a hostile press.

dczombie on August 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

If she re-ups and I hope she does they need to have her on more than every other week or so on just Hannity and Gretta for 5 or 10 minutes and she needs to make the effert to be in studio more often.

KBird on August 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

First the ban Newt, now Palin? Greta must be beside herself. If they ban Limaugh clips, she’s done.
The idea that Palin needs Fox is ridiculous. If anything It would free her up to pursuit a lot of different things her contract precludes her from doing. She will continue to endorse candidates and I suspect, be a free agent on the media landscape. Brietbart, Beck, CNN. She’ll have plenty of places to land, just like Newt. Fox has room for Peggy Noonan, Shep Eyeshadow and Sally Kohn, but not Palin?

AmeriCuda on August 31, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Ed , why this hit piece on Palin?

the_nile on August 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM

An opinion piece and a hit piece are two very different things. Look, Palin is an important figure in the Republican and Tea Parties, but she’s not worth 7 figures for what she does on FoxNews. Folks like Krauthammer and Steve Hayes are far more ubiquitous on the network and provide much more interesting and informative opinions and commentary, and I can guaran-damn-tee you there’s no way they’re drawing a salary close to Palin’s.

I think she may have been worth the investment initially since there was a curiosity among her supporters to see her on TV. But the novelty has worn off. Either she takes a pay cut or takes her services elsewhere.

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Everybody gotta eat.

HerneTheHunter on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Not true….

Could you repeat what you said comparing Palin to Ryan?

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Yes. I said that Paul Ryan had more experience dealing with the national media now than Palin did when she was chosen as McCain’s nominee, and that he’s more of a known quality. Both of which are, by the way, objectively true. I also said (IIRC) that Ryan was an established expert on budgetary matters. That’s not “trashing” Palin, and it’s not even a criticism of Palin.

Ed Morrissey on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

By the way, isn’t it a little pissy to put such a poor picture of her on the cover of this thread? I mean, come on, that’s a bit of a Kos manuver.

dczombie on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Could it be that Fox has wisely determined that the $1MM can be better spent on different talent? Palin’s time has come and gone – she’s made some money, got famous, time for her to move on IMO.

gatorboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I wonder if Sarah hinting at a third party idea gaining traction, the RNC rules change making it harder for grass roots people to affect outcomes, and Fox canceling her appearances THAT DAY, are in any way related. Some might say “there are no coincidences.”

ornery_independent on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

johnnyboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I agree with this. She is superb in her writings and speeches, but not as good in interviews.

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Lighten up, Kiddo, everything isn’t a slam.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM

15 minutes of fame is close to being up…time to move on…

right2bright on August 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM

And they said Sarah was/is dumb? Getting a million bucks for the time it takes her to walk from her living room to her studio? Smartest woman on the planet. Oh, and you PDSers fire away.

HerneTheHunter on August 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM

YYZ on August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

ProSlavery Ryan, big win for us. Wasn’t he in office for 6 terms so far?
Rubio cannot even consider a socialized America as an illigetimate goal for people. Some rock star.
Haley? LOL, what is this… if your a minority you automatically get rock star status?
Christie? OMG, there really is no room at all for any kind of conservatism in the party.

Feel free to list a conservative. A movement conservative would be best to make your point.

astonerii on August 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM

And yet they rehire Shep Smith, who does nothing but regurgitate the left’s hysterics, as their primary correspondent,

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Sarah doesn’t need stinkin’ faux anymore.

renalin on August 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Faux? Did the frequency change to DailyKos, Kenneth?

thebrokenrattle on August 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

ornery_independent on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

This!

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I’m chalking this up to the media overhyping stuff as usual.

SouthernGent on August 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

She cannot force them to pay anything , it’s a free market.

the_nile on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM

uh, OK…not sure what that has to do with anything I said. Of course it’s a free market. My point was that Fox may not feel, based on ratings she pulls, that the amount in question is a good deal. Don’t recall writing anything about Fox being forced to pay anything to anyone.

search4truth on August 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Seriously people… seriously.

johnnyboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I think his success is explained by his being an early guy at Fox News, when there was no alternative to liberal TV. Even today, there’s no other conservative outlet on television.

So, he built a brand, and, in the meantime, look at his competition: Olberman, Maddow, Campbell Brown, Spitzer and Parker, Anderson Cooper, now Erin something. He creams those people.

BuckeyeSam on August 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Palin is “worth” whatever she and FOX agree upon.

What’s with the “she doesn’t deserve this much for what she does” attitude here at HotGas, that’s what leftists say.

Bishop on August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Do any of you really think that Sarah Palin needs FOX?
Sure, they pay her the $1 million but lets be honest about this… if she left FOX, you think she is going to be desperate for money?
Her houses are paid for (big house in Wasilla, the big house in Arizona, the wonderful cabin in the bush at the lake) and they probably have a lot of money in the bank (her books, her show, Todd’s Stars Earn Stripes show, etc. etc. etc.) and a lot invested by now and didn’t they live quite well on a combined salary of $225k or so before the V/P thing?
Their kids, outside of Trig, are grown and making their own money and if Sarah Palin has to leave the political scene and go back to Alaska…. well, do you really think she minds considering what she thinks of the inside politics thing?
(That sure is a nice house in Arizona that is paid for… big pool, warm weather for the cold Alaska winter time, lots of friends all over the US to visit… wow, what a terrible way to live)

First of all, we don’t know what the story is on FOX… is the New York Magazine possibly a leftie publication? Secondly, if any of you detractors out there think Sarah Palin gives a rat’s a** what you think… well, what was Clint hinting at last night? something about doing something to yourself?

PhilipJames on August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I’ve always liked Sarah and was a big supporter of her for Prez. Really really wanted to see her get into it, as millions of other people did. But the way she dragged out her announcement and then the way she eventually did announce, was just too much for me. I’ve lost a bit of respect for her. I realize she has done a lot in Alaska and had a lot of unfair treatment, attacks and expenses during those early years, but her star is fading. Just the way it is.

She’s a good and decent person. But she chose a different path. I care more about the opinions of people who are actually in the fight and doing something. Not so much with people who just sit in front of cameras.

Then I think about how she quit as Governor. I realize maybe she had no choice, due to how the libs were doing all these legal moves against her forcing her into a lot of legal expenses. I understand that… but then I consider Scott Walker. Also… her resignation seemed to be for a higher purpose of pursing the Presidency. But then she didn’t while almost making it seem like she was… dragging that whole thing out as long as she could until the past possible second.

So, she chose a different path. Nothing wrong with that. I wish her and her family well. I am sure she’ll always have a stage somewhere.

JellyToast on August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM

That’s not “trashing” Palin, and it’s not even a criticism of Palin.

Ed Morrissey on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

It is if you are wearing Palin tinted glasses.

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Ed Morrissey on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Your facts are true, but it sure sounded a lot more negative to Palin when I listen to it.

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Many people are very good at being told what to think. Fewer people really suck at it.

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

You used to make sense, not any more.

HerneTheHunter on August 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Why? Because I don’t worship at the alter of Sarah Palin? If Roger Ailes wants to pay her that kind of jack to be a part-time pundit via satellite, more power to him. Personally, I don’t think she’s worth it(BTW, don’t forget that Fox also built that remote studio for her at her home in Wasilla). And given how effective Ailes has been building FoxNews into the juggernaut it’s become, I’m guessing he’s having doubts about the value of that contract as well.

I’m not trashing the woman. She’s invaluable to the conservative cause. She’s still great on the stump. She remains an unabashed champion of the Tea Party. And she’s got an uncanny knack of picking quality candidates for Congress. But her appearances on FoxNews are some of the least important things she does. It does keep her on TV, but getting exposure is a problem Palin will never have.

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Palin stuff is getting so old..nothing but drama.

People turned her off a long time ago. She might have a few rabid right wingers who hang on…but she is done

And the decision was HERS.

Redford on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Yes, and O’Reilly will give Obama yet another slobbering interview when time comes,

narciso on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Maybe I’m getting too fatalistic, but…so what. If she can get a million for the next contract, then that means she’s worth it. If she can’t, then she’ll have a smaller role there or move on. What’s the big deal. It is a little goofy that they couldn’t get her on the air, but whatever. They’ll work it out.

Palin can find other venues to inhabit if things don’t work out with FOX. I’m sure she’ll keep busy.

Dongemaharu on August 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

FB did not feel like an outburst to me, seemed to me to be more orientated to (falsely IMO) praising McCain.
oh well, this too shall pass…. or something.

dmacleo on August 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Redford on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Crowds at her appearances would indicate that you are incorrect.

Cindy Munford on August 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

OT: Obama is really sad and bizarre. Twitter response to empty chair

‘This seat’s taken’

faraway on August 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

She’s their highest paid contributor? I had no idea.

changer1701 on August 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Ed Morrissey on August 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Say, Ed, he is a known quality? And the hell did he do with that? I mean he’s being in Congress for what 12years? What are his accomplishments, bills tabled, passed, What are they?

I keep hearing all this talk about Ryan’s “expertise” on budgetary matters. What did he do with this expertise in Congress again? Oh that’s right, nothing but talk.

HerneTheHunter on August 31, 2012 at 10:31 AM

idesign on August 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Therein lies the problem

Rio Linda Refugee on August 31, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Bishop on August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Romney and his sychophants are the Obamification of the Republican party. So of course you are going to get lots and lots of progressive liberal attitudes here. Enjoy the new safe haven for progressives. The Republican party. If you do not agree with them, they will SEIU thug you out of here.

astonerii on August 31, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Personally, I wish she’d get back in the game and run for some office. I don’t know if she could ever get elected again. I wouldn’t mind if she left Fox and tried something else. If she doesn’t want to return to political office, then something more substantial. Wouldn’t it be interesting if some network (FBN? CNN???) offered her a nightly or weekly show to do whatever she wants? I don’t know if she would even consider that, but I think she could excel anywhere she goes. Fox needs her, not the other way around.

conservative pilgrim on August 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Diva

Tater Salad on August 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM

xblade on August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Says the cultist.

Bmore on August 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

ornery_independent on August 31, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I did exactly the same thing. Beck and Napolitano (and news, and sometimes O’Reilly, bless his heart) were pretty much the only reason I watched cable at all. I save $90+ per month and watch mostly Netflix and Hulu now.

The Rogue Tomato on August 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Doughboy on August 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Au contraire, my friend. You just fell into line. It’s what you are wont to do. Easy.

HerneTheHunter on August 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM