Video: Susana Martinez lays claim to GOP future

posted at 10:41 am on August 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I wrote earlier about the Twitter reaction from the media after Condoleezza Rice’s powerful, moving speech, speculating on her future as a Republican candidate for President or VP.  The conventional wisdom holds that a person who engages in a prime-time effort at a national convention (and especially one who delivers as Rice did) has a burning desire to use the speech as a springboard for a future election.  That was certainly true for Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, but Rice could have had the #2 slot this time, I suspect, if she truly desired it.  She could have run for President this time too, or for the Senate in California against Diane Feinstein.  Rice has never shown any desire for electoral office; I’d bet she might aspire to a place in the Romney administration, but even that might not appeal to Rice a second time around.

The evening did feature a woman who laid claim to the GOP future, though she didn’t get the same speculation as did Rice.  New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez, the nation’s first female Hispanic governor,  introduced herself to American voters across the nation last night in an emotional, humorous, and powerful speech.  The most affecting portion came when she told the story of how she came to realize that she was a Republican:

I fear some of our leaders today have lost the courage to stand up.  What we have now are politicians.  They won’t offer real plans, and only stand up when they want to blame someone else.

And I don’t say that just because a Democrat is in the White House, I was a Democrat for many years, so were my parents.

Before I ran for district attorney, two Republicans invited my husband and me to lunch, and I knew a party switch was exactly what they wanted.  So, I told Chuck, “We’ll be polite, enjoy a free lunch, and then say good-bye.”  But we talked about issues — they never used the words Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal.  We talked about many issues, like welfare, is it the way of life or hand up? Talked about size of government, how much should it tax families and small businesses?  And when we left that lunch, we got in the car and I looked over at Chuck and said,  “I’ll be damned. We’re Republicans.”

Martinez’ story plays into one of the compelling themes of the convention, which asks voters to reconsider their partisan affiliation.  That won’t work with the Chris Matthewses of the world, obviously, but they aren’t the audience.  I mean that literally; on the NBC News website, the page that lists the Wednesday night speeches at the convention doesn’t have Martinez mentioned at all.  Martinez spoke to those whose Democratic leanings are more habit than purposeful, who have found themselves dissatisfied by Hope and Change, and whose core values come much closer to the individual empowerment and economic freedom of the GOP.

Her message of Todo es posible will resonate with these voters.  It’s also a good description of Martinez’ future in the GOP.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

NBC News apartheid marches forward.

forest on August 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM

LOVED her!!! Let’s hope that Republicans all over this country are taking Democrats out to lunch and talking about issues in such a way that they’ll leave saying, “Damn, we’re Republicans!” too.

parteagirl on August 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

How are Actress Eva and Activist Sandra going to measure up to speeches like this?

It should be a nice humiliating week for the Democrats.

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

This is obviously false. There are not women, minorities, or even humans at the GOP event. They are all mind-numbed robots clinging to guns and bibles and about to go postal on innocent babies in hospital wards.

Don’t you read the newspapers or watch TV?

Wino on August 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

She was totally awesome. I was riveted, proud, and excited about the Party’s future with people like Martinez.

rockmom on August 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Some great speakers last night, to be sure. But IMHO, Susana was the most effective in terms of reaching out to indies and dems. She is a rising star. Which is why the MSM will ignore her, natch.

JusDreamin on August 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I’ll be damned. We’re Republicans.

welcome to the party, susanah!

ted c on August 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Martinez rocked it last night!

workingclass artist on August 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM

And when we left that lunch, we got in the car and I looked over at Chuck and said, “I’ll be damned. We’re Republicans.”
excerpt: Susana Martinez

Well . . . . . Conservatives anyway, Susana.

Maybe you can be a part of making the Republican Party conservative, again.

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM

parteagirl on August 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

My vote for post of the day.

JusDreamin on August 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Our team vs. their team

Really, no contest.

SouthernGent on August 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I liked her A LOT.

But I really like SARAH PALIN……hmmmm.

ToddPA on August 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

L-O-V-E-D HER. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED HER!!!

GhoulAid on August 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Well . . . . . Conservatives anyway, Susana.

Maybe you can be a part of making the Republican Party conservative, again.

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Scratch that word “maybe”; that was inexcusable, on my part.

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Love this lady. Love the way she thinks, speaks, acts, and especially looks. Paul Ryan is stellar so far, his past TARP vote notwithstanding, but I still think Susana Martinez wouldn’t be a drag on the ticket, either.

Archivarix on August 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

parteagirl on August 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Maybe Romney should hire those two Republicans who took Susana and her husband out to lunch. If you reveal the truth…no BS…people will be drawn to it.

swinia sutki on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I agree that Martinez made a considerable impact — good speech, though I wouldn’t call it “great” compared to Rice, Ryan and Ann Romney’s.

But this part of her speech really bothers me:

Why does she declare she’ll “be damned”? Weird, crude and just wrong declaration by Martinez. Gave me the creeps to hear it.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

that was inexcusable, on my part.

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Racist too.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Martinez was great. I hadn’t heard her speak before last night, but I can see why she was given such a plum spot.

And NBC is just embarrassing itself. And anyone who dares say that there’s no liberal bias needs to just stfu.

changer1701 on August 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM

facepalm

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Why? It was an honest confirmation and an invitation to others to have an open mind.

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

facepalm

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Misapplied some of your glue again, did you?

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Yeah but she’s one of those “white hispanics” so… And I’m pretty sure “Todo es posible” means “I hate black people!”.

redzap on August 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

She COULDA’ said, “well, dayem, we’re Republicans” but she didn’t.

She said “**I’ll be damned,** we’re Republicans.”

It’s course and unnecessarily creepy speech.

She’s saying she’s damned (and implies it’s because) she’s Republican.

It’s just course, stupid speech.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

It was supposed to be humorous. I laughed as did most people at the convention.

GOPRanknFile on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I cannot remember the media allowing its bias to so blatantly shine through. They have gone full left and are allowing their affiliation as the media arm of the socialist DNC to be seen in full view.

AZfederalist on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

It should be a nice humiliating week for the Democrats.

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Oh, they’ll SHOW us next week. Can’t hardly wait. . : )

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Misapplied some of your glue again, did you?

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Is that the best you can do?

Sounds racist to me.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

We have a deep bench while the Dems barely have a starting lineup.

GOPRanknFile on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

When you’re “damned,” you don’t have “an open mind”.

Her phrasing isn’t invitational to others, it’s creepy.

I enjoyed her speech up to that point but her concluding phrase was just an utter turnoff.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It’s just course, stupid speech.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

You stick with that sweetie.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

that line about being repub and carrying a S&W 357 that outweighed her when she was 18 was good stuff, glad to have her on my donors list in 2010

DanMan on August 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM

It should be a nice humiliating week for the Democrats.

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

…not to worry!…the government networks and the rest of the institutional media will all be getting tingles up their legs!….just wait and see!

KOOLAID2 on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

They should package that part of her speech about discovering they were Republicans into a 30 second ad and bombard the whole nation with it. I’d watch every time it would be shown…..Loved it!

Herb on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

OT: Anybody seen this tweet from a poster here to MKH..?

d1carter on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

:-D))))

The War Planner on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

parteagirl on August 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

swinia sutki on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

True. But I think it’s the personal relationships that are the most effective. Susanna and Chuck knew these people, and knew what they wanted, but respected them enough to give them some of their time over lunch. Her conversion wouldn’t have happened without the foundation of friendship paving the way. It’s true that people don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.

parteagirl on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Misapplied some of your glue again, did you?

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Is that the best you can do?

Sounds racist to me.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Your glue use is racist? Next you’ll be writing that saying “Chicago” is racist.

You ARE the guy who builds little models and writes gossip on forums denigrating the creative work of others, aren’t you? Otherwise, someone else is using your name in both efforts.

It’s always the actual racists who try to deride others as “racist”.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

d1carter on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

That got a laugh.

He must be ready to burst with all that pent up nutballyness.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

that was inexcusable, on my part.

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Racist too.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Shhhhh . . . . .

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

How many speakers did Sarah help elect???

Hojczyk on August 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM

What’s wrong with this woman? Doesn’t she know the Republicans are waging a war on women and that Republicans want to deport Hispanics?
///

Bitter Clinger on August 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM

link embedded with “cozmo” user here.

“MDCurtiss” at sbcglobal.net produces interesting results when investigated a bit further…

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Herb on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Excellent idea!

parteagirl on August 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM

My wife, who is not exactly an aspiring Republican herself, was completely moved by Susana’s speech.

It was a complete homerun, and I fully expect the Governor to be a prominent national figure for years to come. She is exactly what the Conservative movement needs.

nukemhill on August 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

It’s just course, stupid speech.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

You stick with that sweetie.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I’m sure you can find work writing speeches for Chris Matthews.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I hear stronger language than that on family hour prime time shows.

Bitter Clinger on August 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Herb on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Excellent idea!

parteagirl on August 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Riiiiggght, spread it nationwide that people are “damned” when they’re Republicans.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Make lots of money for something I do in my spare time too. Even got some invites to do special effects work and meet neat people.

You got a point to make?

I also play with nutballs like you so you won’t feel left out and go on multi-day rants claiming to be winning.

You can toast me with tiger blood now sweet twit.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

“I’ll be damned. We’re Republicans.”

It’s like saying, “I was gobsmacked!”

She and her husband finally realised that in spite of them believing they were Democrats, based on their talk, they realised, wow, we really are Republicans! It was the truth spoken on her part as we humans are wont to do from time to time, in a time of sudden realization smacking one upside the head! I was gobsmacked!

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM You are just another dem shill trying to make somthing out of nothing, I shall use my fav phrase and tell you, “On yer bike matey”!

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Lourdes
on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

There it is, Susana.

You almost had Lourdes’ endorsement; . . . sooo close . . .

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Don’t Democrats pretty much say that already?

Bitter Clinger on August 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Must have figured out she was Hispanic. Not even NBC could ignore Condi Rice but they must be kicking themselves that they let stealth minority Nikki Haley get through.

More seriously, when do we get the point where Martinez is simply introduced as Governor of New Mexico and not as “the nation’s first female Hispanic governor.” In short when do we dispense with such labels?

Happy Nomad on August 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Lighten up. It’s just a common expression to convey extreme surprise.

parteagirl on August 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Dang, my own stalker. I haven’t had one of those since grow fins.

I am humbled and have all the nutballs at Hot Gas to thank.

Thank you all.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Thanks Ed!,

oldleprechaun on August 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM

She COULDA’ said, “well, dayem, we’re Republicans” but she didn’t.

She said “**I’ll be damned,** we’re Republicans.”

It’s course and unnecessarily creepy speech.

She’s saying she’s damned (and implies it’s because) she’s Republican.

It’s just course, stupid speech.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Really? You’re criticizing THAT? Good lord…it was a funny line, and a point of emphasis. Do you honestly believe she thinks she’s eternally damned because she’s a Republican? Come on.

changer1701 on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I hear stronger language than that on family hour prime time shows.

Bitter Clinger on August 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The lady’s a former District Attorney. And now a state governor. She’s speaking from a national convention AND obviously, by her own targeting, is aiming her efforts “to appeal” to what are supposedly ‘conservative hispanics’.

She needs to be held to a higher standard in her use of phrasing in reference to what, and should be EXPECTED not to speak so crudely as that.

It was reckless speech (saying she’d “be damned…is a Republican”) and she SHOULD have greater self control than that.

Otherwise, she was making a good speech. That part she uttered just sunk her credibility with me.

Sitting around a table in casual circumstances, fine, curse, refer to yourself and mate as “damned”, say whatever, chugalugchugalug but at and from the podium of national election, she really let the air out of her rising balloon.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

When you’re “damned,” you don’t have “an open mind”.

Her phrasing isn’t invitational to others, it’s creepy.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I’m not sure why you use the word “creepy”. She told her story with humor and honesty in a way people appreciate and respect it. It was extremely effective in that she probably gave some diehard liberals “permission” to cross the line as she did. That was not only effective, it was brilliant.

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

That part she uttered just sunk her credibility with me.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I’m sure she is devastated, as are we all.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

If you have a point to make about the evils of “undisciplined speech”, make it. Otherwise this argument is POINTLESS.

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

it was brilliant.

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

And probably racist.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

It was humorous. Farthest thing from creepy.

Priscilla on August 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Such a good speech!

nicktjacob on August 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

changer1701 on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

My standards aren’t yours and vice-versa, obviously.

She tarnishes others, as would and does anyone, who speaks thusly from a national podium with international coverage.

Referring to herself and husband as “damned” in the context of suddenly realizing they’re “REpublicans” isn’t a laughing matter.

What’s next, burping from the podium and pulling out a cigar with a jug of wine and swiggin’ away?

Haven’t we heard and seen enough of this sort of crudeness from the two Obamas?

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Lourdes, I think you’re overthinking and miscontruing the meaning of her words. Leave that chore to MSNBC.

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

POINTLESS.

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

As is lourdes…obtuse as can be. If we play with her though, she can keep this up all day…and win!

It must be the tiger blood.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

It was humorous. Farthest thing from creepy.

Priscilla on August 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

It was creepy.

“I’ll be damned” isn’t humorous, it’s creepy.

Martinez and husband, “damned.” Wow, what a standard to aspire to. Not.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Lourdes: you can misconstrue it twist it play semantics… the fact remains she used the word in a tone of surprise…

You can twist it in your teensy tiny mind to make it fit for where you are coming from… I hope your head explodes! You are such an idiot…

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Haven’t we heard and seen enough of this sort of crudeness from the two Obamas?

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Told y’all she’d get around to racism.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

They’ve got Elizabeth Warren.

We have Susana Martinez.

*evil laugh*

CorporatePiggy on August 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

You’re morphing into a concern troll.

Bitter Clinger on August 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Point was made in my original comment.

Responding to ongoing hysterics from others here is what’s followed.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

If I didn’t know you better, I’d say this was concern trolling.

Cuz. Really? Really?

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I’m sure she is devastated, as are we all.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Gloom, despair, . . .

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Yep it’s SOP from the likes of Lourdes cozmo…

Love a good ‘fight’ in the morning, don’t you? Muahhhhhh!!!!

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

That’s my Governor! What a change from Guillermo el Gordo.

The MSM would love to attack her as a Republican woman,but the fact that she’s Spanish (people in NM are proud of their Spanish heritage) would really get them called on their racism,so they have to ignore her,a real quandry for them.

Frantic Freddie on August 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

That brings up old times.

It must be racist.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

You’re morphing into a concern troll.

Bitter Clinger on August 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I guess what you are now is a Hater. Cozmo the racist, you the hater.

Some of you here can’t handle information beyond the pablum level. Quick, post some links to cats, that’ll solve things, call people, “trolls” and yell for JimBob.

Martinez spoke crudely. It shouldn’t be praised.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Love a good ‘fight’ in the morning, don’t you? Muahhhhhh!!!!

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

It beats mowin’ grass.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I was checking out the ABC coverage when Governor Martinez was speaking. I sure wish I could have heard her speech. I could see her in the background but ABC rode over the audio with expert analysis by Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopoulos along with someone from Univision telling us why the election is already lost to the Republicans based on Hispanic polling data. The Univision guy basically said that unless they get at least 33% of the Hispanic vote they have no chance and they won’t get that without supporting reform and the Dream Act, blah , blah , blah. This is how the lame stream media is preventing any positive message from getting out whenever the Republicans have a minority or female on the podium. Frankly, I’m surprised they gave Condi any air time at all.

JohnnyL on August 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

That brings up old times.

It must be racist.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Could be the glue on your hands.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

My standards aren’t yours and vice-versa, obviously.

Haven’t we heard and seen enough of this sort of crudeness from the two Obamas?

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

All due respect, but that’s an extreme over-reaction and something, frankly, that I’d expect the Left to say. I don’t think, because of a funny throwaway line, we can expect burpin’ and boozin’ from the podium. She didn’t tarnish anyone or anything…she was simply emphasizing the light bulb that went off in her head when she realized she was with the wrong party. It was funny, it was effective, and it was hardly meant literally or as a harbinger to drunken debauchery.

changer1701 on August 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

lmao you got a point there!

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Oh snap!

We better behave, lourdes said so.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

If I didn’t know you better, I’d say this was concern trolling.

Cuz. Really? Really?

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Ohhh, right, name calling. That really solves quandaries about nuclear fission.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I guess what you are now is a Hater. Cozmo the racist, you the hater.

Martinez spoke crudely. It shouldn’t be praised.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Hey, whatever. You’re the one losing your mind over nothing.

Bitter Clinger on August 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Point was made in my original comment.

Responding to ongoing hysterics from others here is what’s followed.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I read your original at the onset.

The only response I have to it is; “Sorry mom. I won’t do it again.”

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Could be the glue on your hands.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

As opposed to the stuff you are sniffing.

I’ll stay with sticky fingers, thank you very much.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

changer1701 on August 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Very eloquently said… ^5!!

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Oh snap!

We better behave, lourdes said so.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

You could always go flame on a public forum about conspiratorial doubts about the credibility of someone else’s work. Because you’re jealous of it.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM

She COULDA’ said, “well, dayem, we’re Republicans” but she didn’t.

She said “**I’ll be damned,** we’re Republicans.”

It’s course and unnecessarily creepy speech.

She’s saying she’s damned (and implies it’s because) she’s Republican.

It’s just course, stupid speech.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

You are an idiot. Her speech was great and her message was even greater, you sound like crissy matthews hearing dog whistles.

VegasRick on August 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Could be the glue on your hands.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

As opposed to the stuff you are sniffing.

I’ll stay with sticky fingers, thank you very much.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Yes, clean air that I’m “sniffing,” that’s such a problem to you. Go open another tube, cozmo. My fresh air would likely be too much for you.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

JohnnyL on August 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Amazing that they are so blatant. I wish someone would keep records on how many Dem speeches are shown in their entirety without running commentary next week. I don’t think the networks have the nerve to air the first night’s events, but we shall see.

sherry on August 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Because you’re jealous of it.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Of what? Are you making stuff up…again?
Art is art, no matter who created it.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

On yer bike Lourdes… your spew is ineffectual…

You rant on about nothing, you are the one ‘flaming’…

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Actually, it’s exactly the way a former Democrat would respond, if you think about it. That’s certainly what her former Democratic colleagues would be doing(damning).

JimK on August 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

VegasRick on August 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

No, I’m not “an idiot.” But you may be for making such a slur.

I already made the point, her speech was good, not great, but her closing creepy reference of being “damned” while discovering she was “Republican” was a very stupid, wrongheaded thing for her to say. I had higher expectations from someone who makes claim to her credentials.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I’ll be damned, I loved her speech (and love her, too).

TXUS on August 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM

My fresh air would likely be too much for you.

Lourdes on August 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Considering how high you must be, you are probably right.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM