The RNC grand finale: Marco Rubio, Mitt Romney

posted at 7:01 pm on August 30, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it, anyway. It’s Day Three of the Republican National Convention, and in one corner, we’ve got the lamestream media, no doubt already gearing up with a smashing selection of prepared narratives ready to launch the moment Mitt Romney issues his final “God Bless America”; in the other, the man of the hour himself. Will his big moment be enough to start convincing undecided American voters that he’s their guy? Time shall tell. We managed to snap of a few pics of him doing his run-through in the Tampa Bay Times Forum earlier this afternoon:

DSC_0024

DSC_0037

Introducing Mitt Romney is Sen. Marco Rubio, Republican from Florida, well known for his easy free-market brilliance and his uber-charismatic, highly persuasive speeches, not to mention his appeal to Hispanic voters. Here’s an excerpt from his prepared remarks, via the Weekly Standard:

As a boy, I would sit on our porch and listen to his stories about history, politics and baseball while he puffed on one of his three daily Padron cigars.

I don’t recall everything we talked about, but the one thing I remember, is the one thing he wanted me to never forget. The dreams he had when he was young became impossible to achieve.

But because I was an American, there was no limit to how far I could go.

For those of us who were born and raised in this country, it’s easy to forget how special America is. But my grandfather understood how different America is from the rest of world.

Tonight, you’ll hear from another man who understands what makes America exceptional.

Mitt Romney knows America’s prosperity didn’t happen because our government simply spent more. It happened because our people used their own money to open a business.

And when they succeed, they hire more people, who then invest or spend their money in the economy, helping others start a business and create jobs.

Mitt Romney’s success in business is well known. But he’s more than that.

Other, earlier speakers will include the much-anticipated “mystery speaker,” as well as Rep. Connie Mack, Newt and Callista Gingrich, Craig Romney, a delegation of Olympians to tout Mitt Romney’s successes turning around the Utah Olympics Games, and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who’s planning to discuss the demerits of President Obama’s never-ceasing “blame Bush” strategy:

“Almost every day I hear the current incumbent feeling compelled to push down the past to make himself look better. When I was growing up, we were spanked when that happened,” Bush said Thursday morning on “Fox and Friends.” …

Because of Obama’s recent attacks on the former Republican president, Bush said he felt “compelled” to drive home the point that his brother is a “person of courage and integrity.”

“I’m going to start off with just a recognition that my brother is a person of courage and integrity and honor, and we need people like that in public life and I love him dearly,” Bush said. “I’m biased about this.”

Here’s the livestream, for your viewing pleasure. Aaaaaaaaaaare youuuuuuuuuu reaaaaaaaadddyyyyyyy?!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Still thinking about those testimonials. Wow. I’ve also never seen anything else quite like that at a convention. And I love it. On C-Span they were showing a lot of teary-eyed folks. Couldn’t see them too clearly through my own foggy peepers . . .

it was the smoke in my eyes.. yeah, that’s what it was!

DaSaintFan on August 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Mitt Romney started a fund that gives the top 25 percent of Mass. students a 4-year scholarship.

Barack Obama ate dog and wrote a faux autobiography full of composite people with the help of a terrorist subversive freak.

Philly on August 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM

A liberal African American woman vouching for the character, deeds and diversity of a Republican governor. Someone check MSNBC – the anchors may need to be life-flighted to receive medical care. It may be too late.

They have already demonized Jane Edmonds all over the internet, I’m sure.

Philly on August 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Interesting, a few moments ago when The Hon. Jane Edmonds, Former Secretary, MA Department of Workforce Development, came out on stage and introduced herself as someone of liberal politics, I did not hear a single boo from the crowd, nothing at all. Doubt you’d get that response from a liberal crowd to a conservative speaker.

stukinIL4now on August 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

it was the smoke in my eyes.. yeah, that’s what it was!

DaSaintFan on August 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I agree, very, very touching.

I wonder how the devils at MSNBC are raking them over the coals…

ccrosby on August 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I wonder how the devils at MSNBC are raking them over the coals…

It’ll be interesting to see if any “Uncle Tom” phrases come out of their mouths after the last two speakers…

And I agree stuk.. not one boo for Mrs. Edmonds admitting she’s a liberal Democrat, but I’ll wager the MSNBC hosts will find a couple.. They’ll have to if they want to keep their meme up and going

DaSaintFan on August 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Something you’ll never hear at a dem convention- “USA,USA”.

Ta111 on August 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

They’ll block the release and the Commie Dem’s will be calling for the burning. I’ve pre-ordered it for my Kindle which means I will have at midnight Monday/Tuesday morning.

JPeterman on August 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I don’t know if they can do that. It’s already in the warehouses and ready to go. Various opinions on that, but we’ll see. Hope you get it. I saw on Amazon that 9/4 is date for the hardback.

The Kindle edition won’t be released until 9/11/12; that’s what I see.

bluefox on August 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

You won’t ever hear anything like this at the Dem Convention. This young man who carried the 911 American Flag…what a powerful testimony.

GrannyDee on August 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I want to see Seamus on the roof – in a BULLETPROOF kennel.

WHat a burn that would be lol

cane_loader on August 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I loved the testimonials.

Hubbie wiped a few tears away on each of the stories.

It’s what we need to wash away the Obama stench.

I feel better about Mitt 1000X since because of these stories.

Typicalwhitewoman on August 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Everyone went to the Open Thread!

bluefox on August 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

WOW.

In its own way, Eastwood’s speech was as good as Ryan’s.

It was the voice of an old man telling it straight.

Great… just great.

cane_loader on August 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Clint rocked. rubio sucks.

renalin on August 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

he could hear his dad keys jingling in the door.

he slept in the hall? what a fake.

renalin on August 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Marco Rubio will be President some day. Mark my words.

glockomatic on August 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Agreed. He can speechify.

Jaibones on August 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM

he slept in the hall? what a fake.

renalin on August 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

Jaibones on August 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Rubio has a compelling personal story and is a example of the achievement of the American Dream. His speech demonstrated how deep the GOP’s bench is and that a Romney Presidency can be the beginning of a return to the true American ideals.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on August 30, 2012 at 11:47 PM

“Romney speech, MAJOR FAIL!!!111!! He totally neglected to talk about TEH TAX RETURNS!!!!!1111!!!! WHAT ARE TOU HIDING MITT, YOU RICH RAAAAAAACIST?????”
~America-Hating MSNBC Commies Nutjobs

Strike Hornet on August 31, 2012 at 2:28 AM

He slept in the hall? What a fake.

Hey dickweed, you ever live in a crappy apartment? You can hear the keys jingling and the lock being turned from anywhere in the place. I’m assuming Rubio wasn’t living in the lap of luxury.

adurb44 on August 31, 2012 at 7:42 AM

We can cheer all we want. They made a giant mistake by putting Sarah Palin in the closet like a mad uncle. What crass behavior–and evidence that they still fear her power to connect with the grass roots. Sanity says they should love and use anyone that could do that to help them out of their stiff rich “beyond reach” image.
Competing for the “diversity” nonsense, I guess, is their game.

Don L on August 31, 2012 at 7:52 AM