PPP: McCaskill 45, Akin 44 in Missouri

posted at 3:21 pm on August 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

Another week, another encouraging poll for Akin from dKos’s pollster. The last one, which was based on a ridiculous R+9 sample, helped convince him to stay in the race. Now, with the GOP still quietly pushing behind the scenes to get him to bail out, here comes the cavalry again:

53% of voters say that they accept Akin’s apology for his comments last week to 40% who do not. For most Missourians Akin’s words weren’t a permanent deal breaker. Although Democrats are not ready to forgive him, 77% of Republicans say they accept his apology to only 18% who do not…

Only 37% of voters now say they think Akin should withdraw from the race to 54% who believe he should not. There’s a bipartisan consensus that he should stay in- 57% of independents, 53% of Democrats, and 52% of Republicans think he should continue running. There’s clearly a disconnect on Akin’s candidacy between GOP leaders in Washington DC and actual GOP voters back in Missouri…

One thing this whole episode hasn’t done is soften voters’ opinions of Claire McCaskill. Only 40% of voters approve of the job she’s doing to 55% who disapprove. Even though 32% of Republicans have an unfavorable opinion of Akin, only 11% of them actually say that they’re going to vote for McCaskill.

The sample this time is R+2, a more realistic model for Missouri in November, so yeah, some of the shock value from his “legitimate rape” comments has clearly worn off. His favorable rating has improved too, from a gruesome 24/58 after his comments were first widely reported to, er, 33/56 now. Which is bad, but not that much worse than McCaskill’s rating. In fact, Obama’s job approval in the state is just 39/55. It is conceivable that Hopenchange and its Senate enablers will fail so miserably that even Akin can ride the public’s disgust to victory. But then, the argument against him isn’t that he absolutely can’t win (although plenty of strategists believe that), it’s that he’s making a seat that’s easily winnable into a toss-up.

How easily winnable? Compare Romney’s numbers to Akin’s:

Romney crushes Obama by 12 points, thanks to near-total unity from Republicans, a surprising and encouraging number of Democratic crossovers, and a de facto even split among independents. He should have significant coattails for the Senate race, especially given McCaskill’s unpopularity, but there’s a chunk of Republicans who are ambivalent about Akin and a critical mass of indies who are balking. The result: A slight edge for the incumbent. Same deal when you split for gender:

The swing among women is more dramatic — 15 points total, from +8 for Mitt(!) to -7 for Akin — but there’s a sharp 10-point effect among men too, from +18 for Mitt to +8 for Akin. A sturdy yet bland Portman-esque Senate would probably lead McCaskill by upwards of 10 points in this environment. As it is, coin flip.

Doesn’t sound like Akin’s going anywhere, though:

Can’t wait to see what the next Missouri poll from a different pollster looks like. Exit question for Reince Priebus: What now?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I asked this yesterday or the day before and missed the answer (if there was one), but what kind of man is he personally? I’m wondering if he does eke this out and win will he be vindictive or will he vote along R lines as he would have had he had the support of the GOP?

I guess I’m wondering whether his vote can be counted on or will it be random.

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

His district is across the state from me, but from what I gather, he’ll join the Demint wing of the party.

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Obviously, Missouri voters don’t know what’s best for them. You people need to listen to your betters and do what they say. Or else.

Dack Thrombosis on August 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Would they have voted for him if he would have made that remark during the primary?

I think not.

NoDonkey on August 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM

What is straight ticket voting?

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Well, it’s simly when your ballot gives you a button/circle to push/mark that indicates you’re voting for ALL candidates on that party’s ticket. No need to go through and click each one by one.

Our TX ballots are that way and in Michigan, years ago, too.
I just assumed EVERY national ballot does.
Maybe not.

pambi on August 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM

If this guys isn’t as stupid as his remark sounded, it could be that the Democrats have something on him and made him say what he did.

Which means what comes next should really be something.

NoDonkey on August 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM

You are just buying into a lot of lies. He was outspent by both of the Republicans he beat including the money McCaskill spent to try to choose her opponent.

He has been very conservative for 12 years in the House. Clair just thought he would be easier to beat.

He won by six points unlikely Clair did that. He is well liked in his home state why he won.

A person talked about the plan Preibus had in case a Conservative won and that is what was implemented against Akin.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Oh noes! The bed wetting! It’s not working!

Now let’s hear another lie now from Priebus about how we will meekly surrender this very winnable seat to the Democrats because he gets all Christina Tingly like when he talks all tough.

NotCoach on August 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Just expose McClaire for the POS she really is.

pambi on August 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I know what Akin said was collasaly stupid and misinformed. But again the guy seems like a decent person looking at his biography.

And really all it comes down to is this

McCaskill has a lifetime rating from the American Conservative Union of 12.

Akin has a rating of 97. (Tied for 4th MOST conservative member in congress over his tenure).

Do you want someone that will vote with us 97% of the time or someone that will vote with us 12% of the time???

That simple.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Akin is like a zombie slowly coming back to eat mccaskill.

Imrahil on August 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Well, the original argument against him WAS in fact not only that he couldn’t win, but that he was endangering the state for Romney and perhaps the national election, too. Not sure if AP was on board with that at first or not – and don’t care enough to look it up – but it sure sounds like his sort of hysteria.

But it is certainly revisionism to claim the original argument was that he made the easy pick-up into a toss-up. If that was anyone’s original argument, it was drowned out in the cacophony of wailing and gnashing of teeth the first few days.

As I said at the time, there is a distance between being repulsed by Akin’s stupidity and actually voting for McCaskill, who is widely despised.

Adjoran on August 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Well, I do remember some people making the argument originally that it was an easy pickup that was now a toss-up. But there were so many hysterics being thrown around that this particular argument was drowned out by people saying, “Just get him out of there and do a write in.”

tom on August 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I hate liars like you.

He is in the house right now. He authored a bill with Paul Ryan he will work very well with Ryan.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Dack Thrombosis on August 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Are you sure you aren’t in the Missouri Legislature, Dack? :)

I had a legislator tell me 3 years ago (a “patriot” legislator, mind you), that if the tea partiers didn’t toe the line, they would lose all their political capital in Jeff City. This was from a rural legislator who was in office because of all those tea partiers.

This is indicative of our fine “conservative” “grassroots” Republican legislators. I’m telling you, it’s a cesspool in Jeff City. What you all seeing playing out on the national level reflects the state party thought and manner of operations.

manateespirit on August 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

pambi on August 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Not where I vote in Richmond. You have to vote for each candidate. Not sure if it’s that way statewide though.

BacaDog on August 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I guess I’m wondering whether his vote can be counted on or will it be random.

kim roy

I don’t know him personally of course, but he has raised a good family. He has been pretty reliably conservative so I don’t think that will change. I’m sure there will be some hard feeings, but I don’t ever see him switching to vote with the Dems about anything b/c he is socially and fiscally conservative. He isn’t an unpricipled hack like Aren Specter or anything.

JAM on August 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

What is straight ticket voting?

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Our TX ballots are that way and in Michigan, years ago, too.
I just assumed EVERY national ballot does.
Maybe not.

pambi on August 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Nevada used to have that as recently as 2009, but they changed it, now they added “None of the above” as an option for all the races and you can still request an ALL republican ballot, but you would still have to circle in the republicans on the ballot.

I request that to save time.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

“Just get him out of there and do a write in.”

tom on August 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Priebus wanted to replace him with a RINO actually. He mentioned her name and even said the two Conservatives he beat (and several others) could not run. His RINO would have gotten single digits had she run. One of many reasons I detest this POS.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

If Akin is really so strong in this race, he should have absolutely no problem raising his own money.

KingGold

Then don’t whine if he loses the seat after so many of you telling us we have to have this seat to take back the senate.

kim roy

I absolutely wouldn’t blame him if he were. At the least, getting his vote on things that matter to the GOP…like repealing Obamacare…is going to be expensive. Payback is a b*tch.

xblade on August 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I hate liars like you.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

DeMint wing of the party? Doesn’t sound so bad. I would have thought it was right up your alley.

tom on August 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I hate liars like you.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I dont really care who you are anonymous internet person who suddenly hates me, but at what point did I lie? Do you not know who Jim Demint is or are you saying Todd Akin is not conservative?

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I don’t recall her name, but I remember she was quite liberal.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Can’t vote straight ticket in MO since 2006.

manateespirit on August 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM

If you want something really bizarre, get this guy to comment on what Akin said. Short story is, he basically agrees with what Akin later apologized for.

NoDonkey on August 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I don’t recall her name, but I remember she was quite liberal.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The only name I remember hearing was Ann Wagner (other than Steeleman and Bruner). She’s currently the candidate to replace Akin in his district. I don’t know if that is who you are referring to.

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

You are probably thinking of Ann Wagner. She is running for Akin’s House seat. The thought was to have her run for senator and he would once again run for his House seat. Musical chairs!

manateespirit on August 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Where is that paragon of principle joanna at? We need her special kind of stank on this issue.

NotCoach on August 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet

That might actually be the problem with some of the teeth-gnashers here.

xblade on August 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

manateespirit on August 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

put his name out there, we like watching them squirm, especially oppurtunists

DanMan on August 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM

NoDonkey on August 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Yeah, I was wondering if he hates everyone around him in his real life because they’re all liars too, but when those people go home they sit around wondering who that retard they just met thinks he is.

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I don’t recall her name, but I remember she was quite liberal.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Some of you guys are mentioning Ann Wagner, who is running for Akin’s old seat in the House. I disagree, and think it’s actually Rep. Jo Ann Emerson from SE Missouri. Emerson’s voting record has been disappointingly liberal. Everything I’ve read about Ann Wagner tells me she will be a pretty solid conservative.

Sir Rants-A-Lot on August 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I thought back when there was all the hullabaloo about Akin’s comment and the RNC people were assuming too soon that McCaskill wouldn’t have to do anything but run this guy’s legitmate rape comment for 70 days and get re-elected. It doesn’t take into account how disliked she is in a majority conservative state.

It is still possible to win this seat whether Akin stays in with no help or not because there is NO guarrentee McCaskill can just thread the needle she set up for herself against ANYBODY.

Conan on August 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

That might actually be the problem with some of the teeth-gnashers here.

xblade on August 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Sad but true. If the chicken littles here even knew the makeup of Missouri they would shut up and forget about it, but no they want to play into the hands of the left. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Quit being stupid people, if this was a big deal why would the AP be fretting over nobody talking about it?

MobileVideoEngineer on August 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

NoDonkey on August 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Akin took it back but if you would point out Obama endorses infanticide every time someone mentions Akin’s rape gaffe they’ll shut up quick. Try it sometime. It’s a conversation killer that our side wins. One bright spot of Akin’s flub.

DanMan on August 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

JAM on August 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, folks. It doesn’t seem like the GOP is going to do anything like offer a write in candidate and they still may change their mind and help. Hopefully, people will hate McCaskill more than what Akin said and he does say anything else silly.

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Sir Rants-A-Lot on August 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM

It was Joe Anne Emerson. Not Wagner.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I hate liars like you.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Dude.

DeMint rocks! It’s just that DeMint’s in the Senate instead of in the House. Which you probably already know.

As Hannity might say, “Let not your heart be troubled.” McCasket STILL can’t crack 45 percent?! This race was, AND STILL IS, Akin’s to lose. Of course, let’s not confuse having our hearts not be troubled with getting too complacent! But I’d never imagined this kind of a polling recovery so soon after Akin’s radioactive remarks (which will always be eclipsed by McCasket’s radioactive voting record!).

Sir Rants-A-Lot on August 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM

That might actually be the problem with some of the teeth-gnashers here.

xblade on August 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Sad but if that gaffe wasn’t made, Akin could have literally taken a nap until election day and won by 10%+.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM

“Akin’s a f*cking idiot he should back out!”

“What, he might win?”

“Go Akin go! Hoooooray!”

Dave Rywall on August 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on August 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

That’s a little high handed of you, isn’t it? Since we “don’t know the makeup…” we should just be quiet. I suppose you don’t comment on anything else BUT Missouri.

The man said something that showed he wasn’t ready to up his game. Abortion is a VERY touchy subject and if you are going to talk about it then darn well have your talking points in order and no off the cuff BS. Sorry. That’s the way it is and if he couldn’t handle that then maybe he shouldn’t be playing with the big boys.

He caused a lot of grief for ALL the tickets with his nonsense. It’s just not a Missouri issue when it fit ever so nicely into the left’s meme of Rs hate women. It’s not like this “war on women” was a new meme – Akin couldn’t be bothered to try *not* to step in it. Showed how unprepared he was. Don’t have to live in Missouri to see that and certainly don’t have to live there to comment on it.

As for playing into the hands of the left, have you been paying attention? They control the airwaves and that’s the way it is right now. It’s getting better, but it’s still a fight we have to fight and our margin of error is so very very small. For Akin to be this stupid and not be careful and give them exactly what they were looking for…. SMH.

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM

McCaskill has a lifetime rating from the American Conservative Union of 12.

That simple.

Yepper, whatcha said. When it gets down to brass tacks, including repealing Obamacare once and for all, and including the fact that senators are up for re-election every 6 years unlike Supreme Court justices, hopefully Missouri voters will do the right thing. I think a majority of them will.

Sir Rants-A-Lot on August 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Sad, but if the idiots here would stop focusing on the gaffe, he still could take a nap until election day and win easily. It’s the idiots who want to be seen as “principled” (on what I have no clue) who are making it harder for him.

MobileVideoEngineer on August 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

That quote from Raquel Pinkbullet, I meant to mention!

Sir Rants-A-Lot on August 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Dave Rywall on August 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Recovered from your spanking in the Ryan/GM thread? Are you asking for another spanking, masochist?

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM

No they won’t put up a write in. The GOP would have preferred to have Akin withdraw, and they won’t back him publicly. But should he continue to remain in the race I suspect through back channels and privately they’ll do what they can to get him across the finish line.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

My guess is that some of the discrepancy/confusion in the polling is due to numerous Missourians like me who will be telling any and every pollster until November that we are not voting for Akin in the dire hope that he finds some sense of greater good, over-comes his hubris and drops out of the race (I personally know more than a dozen people with this view as related in previous threads).

However we grudgingly admit to each other (and ourselves) that while we would vote for a talented dieffenbachia in a straight up match-up against Akin, McCaskill is so toxic that we will vote for Akin to get rid of her no matter how nauseous it makes us.

deepdiver on August 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on August 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

A couple of tips:

1. If you want to get your point across and have people agree, calling them “idiots” is not usually a successful methodology.

2. It isn’t the gaffe itself, but how it showed him not ready for for what was coming. Sorry, if you can’t have your ABORTION talking points ready to go, then you’re not ready to go. If you were paying attention in the dozens of other threads this was the prevailing attitude – not the gaffe, but the unpreparedness of the candidate.

You’re welcome.

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

That would not be a surprise and probably the smarter thing to do if they aren’t going to put up a write in.

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM

A couple of tips:

You’re welcome.

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Here’s a tip. Don’t be an idiot and you won’t be called an idiot. I’ve been called an idiot when I’ve acted stupid. We can all be idiots at times. Heck people here are calling Akin an idiot. So you don’t want to be called an idiot, quit being an idiot.

MobileVideoEngineer on August 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I told you so. Even if the fine people of Missouri have to hit the bar and then hold their noses to vote for Akin, they will. Claire McCaskill is utterly toxic and hated.

BettyRuth on August 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on August 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Did I say *not* to call someone an idiot. No.

Let me remind you of what I did say:

Now if you don’t care that people take what you say seriously, consider your words/possibly change their opinion and you are only interested in name calling, then do carry on and my apologies.

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Dave Rywall on August 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I’ll give the consistency award for always being on the wrong side of every political argument in this forum drywall.

DanMan on August 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Here’s a tip. Don’t be an idiot and you won’t be called an idiot.

ouch

DanMan on August 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Unlike Illinois which lets dead people vote, here in Missouri we elect them. I think Akin’s coming back from the dead and will take Claire Bear’s seat.

RobertE on August 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

While I do not think that anything resembling a majority of MO voters will vote for Akin, I think at the end of the day that a majority of MO voters will vote against Claire McCaskill.

I am reasonably sure that Akin is too arrogant to understand the difference.

deepdiver on August 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

It clearly doesn’t matter what people who actually live in Missouri and know the lay of the land (oh an by the way I do comment on Ohio politics as well since I was born and raised in Buckeye country and still have family in Central Ohio) has to say because everyone else thinks it’s best for the party if someone with no name recognition and a sketchy voting record replaces someone who is well liked in the state and is going up against someone else who is absolutely despised.

There may be times and places for people to be replaced, but not is not the time. Everyone here who actually lives in Missouri is saying forget about it and move on because talking about it is just making things worse, yet everyone else who isn’t in Missouri is metephorically saying “crucify him give us Barrabas”.

MobileVideoEngineer on August 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

If Akin can still pull out a win while millions of dollars are diverted to help other races, I suppose that’s a good thing, right?

theperfecteconomist on August 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM

If we run the internals against the top-line numbers to back-calculate the sample composition, this is an R+1.8 sample, which could happen in Missouri, but Akin is still a point behind, because he’s losing Indies by 7 points.

Romney is running far ahead in this poll, even though Indies are evenly split, because he’s getting a lot of crossover Democrats, so even if the electorate is slightly less Republican than this sample, Romney can still win Missouri easily.

Akin’s gaffe turned an easy win into a doubtful tossup. All he had to do was attach himself to Romney’s coattails and paint McCaskill as an Obama clone, and he could have won easily. But by his stupid hair-splitting comments about rape, he has infuriated women, and is running 7 points behind among women while Romney is 8 points ahead!

Steve Z on August 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I guess I’m wondering whether his vote can be counted on or will it be random.

kim roy on August 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

He has an exponentially more conservative voting record than Romney and is more fiscally conservative than Paul Ryan (Akin voted AGAINST TARP and AGAINST the auto bailout). I don’t really care what is in his heart as long as he votes correctly.

And I didn’t vote for him in the primary but he won this thing fair and square. Conservative MO voters will not take kindly to the RNC throwing their weight around and trying to replace the MO grassroots choice with Bond or Ashcroft or Talent. I think that their meddling in MO is starting to create a backlash here against them and people are starting to rally around Akin. The RNC and Priebus need to back the heck off.

iwasbornwithit on August 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

iwasbornwithit on August 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Idiot RINO chicken littles on HotAir that know nothing about Missouri: BUT THE COMMENT, HE NEEDS TO GO!!!

MobileVideoEngineer on August 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Don’t blame Priebus for any of that. Blame MO for enacting the sore-loser law. Achin’s primary challengers are legally prohibited from running as third-party candidates, because they lost.

The only way Steelman could have run would have been if he dropped out, as she was the closest vote-getter.

This isn’t a Lisa Murkowski situation.

Myron Falwell on August 30, 2012 at 6:57 PM

theperfecteconomist on August 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM

It would be the textbook definition of irony. But I’m not holding my breath.

One other wild card: what if people in MO are privately still supporting Achin’ but are refusing to admit as such via polling – either out of embarrassment or fear (or both)? In effect, a ‘faith-based’** play on the so-called Bradley effect.

** (Sorry, but I don’t consider the magical body parts or enchanted jockstraps concept to be faith-based in the true sense of the term. But nothing else seems to fit…)

Myron Falwell on August 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM

When the early polls after Akin’s unfortunate tounge twister revealed that McCaskill still could not cross 50%, damage control seemed possible to me.

As for campaigning, it would seem that Santorum, or even Gingrich, could step in to bolster Akin support without being a representative of the Republican party or tied to Romney. (wink, wink)

Freddy on August 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Wenzel Strategies of likely Missouri general election voters shows that Senate candidate Todd Akin has regained his lead over Senator Claire McCaskill by a 45% to 42% margin, with 13% undecided. It also shows Akin leading by 10 points among independent voters.
Go Akin

Bullhead on August 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Hahahahaha…the in-house pollster of the Fever Swamp Left has Akin within 1% of Claire “Dead Meat” McSkankskill. Sayonara Claire, you pathetic nitwit.

Jaibones on August 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Yes…but R+9 is “ridiculous”. So clearly … uh … 11% of Missouri Democrats are already solid for Romney?

Jaibones on August 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Steve, I’m honestly not sure if you’re a genius or a complete nitwit. And really…I’m totally open to either possibility. So help me help you…what will be the issue or the election result which confirms one or the other. The Presidential result? Missouri? The Senate?

Give me a prediction which holds the most promise of vindicating your extraordinary eccentricity.

Jaibones on August 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

The newest poll out today has Akin ahead 45 to 42.

Pole-Cat on August 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM

What Akin said was monumentally stupid. Does one stupid statement make for a bad Senator?

Akin won the primary, it doesn’t look like he is getting out, MO republicans are stuck with him on the ballot. Waging a write in candidacy against him will likely only split the ticket and give Claire the victory.

What his comes down to, is do you want a knucklehead who will vote for smaller government or McCaskill who will vote for larger government?

jpmn on August 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM

See how it works?

“Pro-Life” trumps clumsy statements, all day long.

To tell the truth, I couldn’t figure out what all the fuss was about.

franksalterego on August 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM

…he’ll join the Demint wing of the party.

Kelligan on August 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I hate liars like you.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Steveangell, you might want to get new glasses. Kelligan said “Demint“, not “Democrat.” :-)

To be fair: Kelligan, the good Senator spells his name DeMint, with a capital M. Just use “Creme de Menthe” as your mnemonic (and then drink some!), and you’ll remember. :-)

Mary in LA on October 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM