Obama: Those Republicans will be much more amenable during my second term, I’m sure

posted at 6:21 pm on August 30, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As President Obama and the Democrats are wont to remind us, it is merely Republicans’ desire to prevent him from obtaining a second presidential term that motivates them to consistently thwart his august economic and political agenda — because, of course, the problem certainly couldn’t be that they perhaps take umbrage with any of the actual policies in his agenda, no sir. Republicans are simply being petty and toying with our country’s economic future because they personally just can’t stand the President. Grr, darn those ignoble obstructionists!

In an interview with TIME from this morning, the President Obama reaffirmed his surety that once the specter of his second term becomes a reality, Republicans will become much more acquiescent to his point of view and put aside their oh-so-partisan ways.

So even in a pretty sour political circumstance, we’ve been able to get some things accomplished. And I believe that in a second term, where Mitch McConnell’s imperative of making me a one-term President is no longer relevant, they recognize that what the American people are looking for is for us to get things done. …

So my expectation is that there will be some popping of the blister after this election, because it will have been such a stark choice. Where Republicans refuse to cooperate on things that I know are good for the American people, I will continue to look for ways to do it administratively and work around Congress. And a good example of that is, for example, making sure that homeowners around the country can take advantage of these historically low rates and refinance.

There’s no reason Congress can’t move forward and at almost no cost to the federal government really boost the housing market and our economy. But if Congress won’t do it, we’ll keep on looking for ways to get that done without legislation.

Gee. The bipartisanship is just overwhelming me. The President was careful to acknowledge that there have been a few definite things accomplished between Democrats and Republicans under his venerable leadership, to tout his cooperative credentials, and to reassure us that he’s all-too-willing to compromise when the Republicans come to the table, but always remember, at the end of the day, our problems are beyond his control. Give the dude a break, alright?

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, however, wasn’t too keen on that explanation when I caught up with him after he gave his speech to the Republican National Convention here in Tampa — we had a quick chat about the likelihood of President Obama having his second-term wish come true, and what Congress will be up to in the event of new leadership at the White-House helm come November. President Obama had a full two years of free reign at the start of his presidency to implement his agenda, including the stimulus and ObamaCare, and “the American people took a look at that and issued a national restraining order,” he told me. Enjoy!

Comments

What second term? The guy is now delusional.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Frightening words. More fiats and ukases to come, or as I abbreviate them, F.U.

Drained Brain on August 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

What second term? The guy is now delusional.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I don’t put it past him calling off the election in the name of “National Security.”

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Sure they will, you just won’t be in the WH.

phatfawzi on August 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Mr I WON….

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on August 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Because you treated them with such respect and consideration, the same that you afforded the American people. Zero, start reserving moving vans: I think the respect you gave us all is about to be repaid with interest.

Philly on August 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

National restraining order. Heh. Good line from a man who looks like a dead fish.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

If this doesn’t scare every single American, I don’t know what will.

JPeterman on August 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I should say Mr I WON part deux

‘I won again, so you’d better agree to MY TERMS’

cmsinaz on August 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

That sentence should be seen by everyone in the country who plans on voting.

Guy is a wanna-be dictator.

B Man on August 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

This is Obama letting down his guard, so everyone can now see the Chicago Democrat Machine politician he really is! He is so sure that he is going to be re-elected, he thinks he can now afford to be just plain cocky!

It will be his downfall.

pilamaye on August 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I will continue to look for ways to do it administratively and work around Congress.. …. But if Congress won’t do it, we’ll keep on looking for ways to get that done without legislation.

I hope they play these lines over and over on some forum…

SailorMark on August 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

JPeterman on August 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

they are clueless….

workaround congress by a dem president no worries
workaround congress by a gop presdient 24/7 outrage

cmsinaz on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Of course they will … when the choices will be the gulag or “cooperate” I’m sure some will choose “cooperate”.

darwin on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Do people understand how comical Barry’s statement is? This is the guy who would only do things when his party controlled everything while he had literally no opposition from the Republicans. My word, this is becoming pathetic…

Aizen on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

What second term? The guy is now delusional.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Didn’t some Pol advance that idea already?

Chip on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

“…like a ship desperately trying to sail on yesterday’s wind”
~Paul Ryan
August 29th, 2012

Strike Hornet on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Well I don’t either but it won’t stick. Even a terrorist nuclear bomb in a large city shouldn’t stop the election. And even he did try it the House still has the constitutional authority to elect a new President.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I urge you to pass this new one facebook, twitter, etc.

Paul Ryan…….you just rock, and hopefully Obama won’t be given another chance to keep this poor kids at his parents house until 2017.

PappyD61 on August 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM

THIS NEEDS TO BE IN BIG NEON LETTERS EVERYWHERE! The collectivist socialist knows what’s good for us, he’s sure he does! We’re just too stupid to realize it! And his example of refinancing is tragically comical in its triviality compared to what he really means to do!

Marcola on August 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Actually these words by the marxist today are just further evidence that he still has foot in mouth disease. Romney will have an ad out mocking them by Monday.

Also, what happen to all the trolls? Have they already given up?

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Didn’t some Pol advance that idea already?

Chip on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Yep, Bev Purdue, Governor of North Carolina.

JPeterman on August 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

People!

Obama is being humble! He’s admitting what a superior politian George Bush is as compared to him. Think about it, during the last 2 years of the Bush adminstration, the Democrats controlled BOTH houses of Congress, yet Pres. Bush managed to bend Pelosi, Reid, Obama and the Dem majorities to his will! Pres. Bush got Congress to pass his agenda unmodified, right? That’s the only way all the problems were “Bush’s fault” and not the Democrats?

Pres. Obama had overwhelming majorities his first two years and admits, he couldn’t get it done.

Sounds humble to me.

LouisianaLightning on August 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Obama had complete control of congress for his first 2 years, he did exactly what he wanted, but somehow he and his party couldn’t, even with a filibuster proof majority, manage to pass a budget.

Barack Hussein Obama is like those two guys in the Progressive Insurance commercial, his pants are straight up on fire.

The Fifth Column Treasonous Media air brushes Minorities out of the Republican National Convention.

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

He and Jarrett and Holder and Axelrod have already proved time and again that the Rule of Law doesn’t apply to them.

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Didn’t some Pol advance that idea already?

Chip on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Some female governor, I believe.

(D), of course.

98ZJUSMC on August 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Nu uh…

Ugly on August 30, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Yep, Bev Purdue, Governor of North Carolina.

JPeterman on August 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

That’s the one.

98ZJUSMC on August 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I agree that Bark Obama’s delusions of a second term are crazy but if, God forbid, the brain-dead “majority” gives him another shot at it, ol’ Mitch will roll over just as reliably as he has during the Choomer-in-Chief’s first term.

MrScribbler on August 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM

As long as Erick Holder is AG and controls the Department of Injustice they are 100 percent correct, it doesn’t apply to them.

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

well, I think anti obama hatred will linger after this election if obama wins, but it wont be the craziness of the last years…
*runs away and hides*

nathor on August 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Marcola on August 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Link please? I would share that like a crazy person…

Ugly on August 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM

There is no evidence whatsoever that this man would do any such thing. When he lies, he speaks his native language.

ted c on August 30, 2012 at 6:40 PM

SCOAMF we’re gonna impeach you the first time you flick your wrist at the law.

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:40 PM

All the disasterous economic and foreign policy stuff of Jimmy Carter combined with Nixonian delusions.

What a pacakge.

MessesWithTexas on August 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM

the problem certainly couldn’t be that they perhaps take umbrage with any of the actual policies in his agenda, no sir. Republicans [. . .] just can’t stand the President.

I’ll give you two for two, Erika. I hate zer0′s policies and I personally hate zer0′s guts.

MisterElephant on August 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

States would send in the electoral will of their legislatures and that would be that or it wouldn’t and then that would be that….

but last time I checked Bam! needs to read the operator’s manual

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Republicans are simply being petty and toying with our country’s economic future because they personally just can’t stand the President. Grr, darn those ignoble obstructionists racists!

/Chrissy

KS Rex on August 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

darwin on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I predict re-education camps starting to appear on Nov. 7, regardless of whether he wins the election or not.

See y’all there.

fas·cism (fshzm)
n.
1. often Fascism
a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

MichaelGabriel on August 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I don’t fecking think so.

If the repubs in office do bend over in front of the socialist sociopathic messiah of racists everywhere, they’ll be pitched out of office, tarred, feathered, and offered up to liberal universities for molestation for 100 years.

Then I get to get my hands on them.

Wolfmoon on August 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM

RAAAAAAACIST!!!!

crazy_legs on August 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM

“No, really, he told me and Vlad the same thing! There’ll be a lot more flexibility after he’s re-elected!” — Dmitry Medvedev

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

See y’all there.

fas·cism (fshzm)
n.
1. often Fascism
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

MichaelGabriel on August 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

It takes a democrat to read It Can’t Happen Here and turn it into a personal challenge….

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Close, Barry. The actual popping will be the zit that you are on the ass of America.

tpitman on August 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Phew! I’m in!

Good evening everyone, are we in for a treat tonight eh!

These words will come back to haunt him…

Obama just doesn’t realise what he is coming up against. Let him speak and continue to dig the hole even deeper…

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Oh lord…this is the line that actually struck a bit of fear into me:

It is NOT the President’s job to “work around Congress”. Congress is there for a REASON to be a check and balance for unfettered executive control…or…you know…A MONARCH.

It is actually a bit frightening that he thinks along these lines!

Highlar on August 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

He doesn’t have that authority and I don’t think the people, Congress be damned, will allow that particular usurpation.

single stack on August 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

It takes a democrat Marxist to read It Can’t Happen Here and turn it into a personal challenge….

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Fix’d that for ya, on a count of there aint no democrats in America and haven’t been any in at least 20 years.

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It is actually a bit frightening that he thinks along these lines!

Highlar on August 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Play a little game of “what if Dubya Did It?” with Time magazine as interviewer….

the media is not doing this guy or national dialog any favors.

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It’s getting close…still a few old timers…but “yeah”

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

It isn’t as if he hasn’t already worked around congress is it?

He’s been there done that and tested the ‘walls’ and they fell…

We out here have asked begged and screamed at congress to stop him.

Did they? What the he!! are they waiting on? His second term?

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It’s getting close…still a few old timers…but “yeah”

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Been more creditable sightings of Sasquatch in the last 20 years than there have been of Democrats who aren’t Marxists.

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It’s getting close…still a few old timers…but “yeah”

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Been more creditable sightings of Sasquatc.h in the last 20 years than there have been of Democrats who aren’t Marxists.

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM

OT/

1. Nervous. 2. Great job nervous. :) 3. Just sayin’.

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

It is actually a bit frightening that he thinks along these lines!

Highlar on August 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Freightening yes, but not surprising. This guy has marxist dictator written all over him and I have been saying this since he came on the national scene.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Dream on, punk.

rrpjr on August 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Not funny.

If it were any other president in American history…..I’d be chuckling.

Given bammie’s disdain for the constitution….not funny.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM

*runs away and hides*

nathor on August 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM

No way we could be that lucky. You are going to insist on inflicting your foolishness on us all well into the future. If you could just apply a modicum of intelligence to your posts, it wouldn’t be so bad. As it is …

AZfederalist on August 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM

things that I know are good for the American people,

That’s all you need to know!

OldEnglish on August 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

the media is not doing this guy or national dialog any favors.

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

If Bush had said what Obama did? I’d have been just as frightened of it and fought against it just as much. One important reason that our version of government works so well IS because of the 3 intertwined branches of government which place checks upon each others power. A dictator or monarch is what we got AWAY from; not what we want.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM

No, its not surprising, but still frightening. It just makes me shake my head in wonder that so many people think THIS man is the answer to the countries problems even AFTER all this time with him in office.

Highlar on August 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Does anyone believe if Obowma looses the election…

… he will just quietly step down and pass the power of the Presidency of the United States of America to Team Romney, as required by Law and the Constitution?

Seven Percent Solution on August 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Highlar on August 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Sit around on you ass, do nothing, get a government check with the promise of more and you’ll vote for the guy promising it 100% of the time. 100 million on welfare right now. Over 40% of working age adults don’t work and get a government check. No surprise he’s getting the support he is getting.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 7:13 PM

October 1st grows closer, and Obama does not even have a budget in place for the election period and “hopefully” Lame duck, not even a phoney lame duck pretend budget.

Fleuries on August 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM

[Seven Percent Solution on August 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM]

Quietly? No, he’ll whine and cry all the way out the door. Things may go missing in the WH and some functional stuff will be damaged a la the Clintons, but he will pass it voluntarily.

Dusty on August 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM

King Obama!
Dreams of His Father is coming true. Colonialism right here with his son as Monarch.

athenadelphi on August 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Either he’s a tiny man or you’re a tall drink. ; )

Bmore on August 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Which is it? Both? He does strike me as a small man.

Bmore on August 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM

the media is not doing this guy or national dialog any favors.

harlekwin15 on August 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Highlar on August 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I think the point here is that if Bush had uttered those words, Time and all of the rest of the liberal media would have gone full nuclear apoplectic. Those words would have lead off the evening news on ABC, CBS, NBC,CNN, PMSDNC, and all other media outlets. The lead anchor would slowly intone, “Today, President Bush stated his intention to bypass Congress to do, quote, what HE thinks is good for the American people” and then proceed to go to civil libertarians, liberal democrats, and liberal “man on the street” interviews telling how chilling this would be to our free country. … and rightfully so, those are chilling words coming from the person who is elected to oversee the executive branch of a Constitutional, Representative Republic. He is not elected king for four years and what he thinks is good for the American people is irrelevant; his job is to execute the laws passed by Congress.

In this case, my money is on Time and all of the rest of the LSM adoringly embracing what Jugears said and working to convince people that this is representative of the president’s deeply seated feelings for the people in the country.

AZfederalist on August 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM

what the American people are looking for is for us to get things done. …

We have been–for 3.5 years.

davidk on August 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Scary.

Keep your powder dry.

If he will bypass Congress, he will try to btpass the will of the people.

I look forward to November with hope, and great concern.

davidk on August 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

AZfederalist on August 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Ah, okay. If I mis-interpreted what was meant, I apologize. And yes, you are right…the media would go nuts, and to be quite honest so would I or any true conservative. Because as my first post said and yours here did…it sounds like the words from a man setting himself up as monarch and trying to find ways to enact *ahem* executive orders by fiat rather than Congressional and national approval. My answer stays the same about Bush, too, though. :) I thought he was mostly a great President…but if he had said what Obama did in this interview, I’d crucify him along with the media.

Highlar on August 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Scary.

Keep your powder dry.

If he will bypass Congress, he will try to btpass the will of the people.

I look forward to November with hope, and great concern.

davidk on August 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

If he is bypassing Congress, he is ALREADY bypassing the will of the people, as they are OUR elected representatives, sent to speak for the will of US on the national stage.

Highlar on August 30, 2012 at 7:36 PM

How comforting it is to know that C-L-U-E-L-E-S-S is running the country.

rjoco1 on August 30, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Why do polls always say the people want Gov. to “get things done?” Don’t people realize the simple fact that the more Congress/Gov. “gets things done”, the worse everything in America gets. “Getting things done” by a poll’s definition simply means stealing and redistributing more of the American people’s blood and treasure. Sending all of these poll crooks and thieves home permanently would be the ultimate “get things done.”

aposematic on August 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

This is ridiculous. This guy has some nerve. Come to my house and try and tell me you know what’s best for me and my family. Please.

He is losing it. He has to be. Going on the record saying that he will continue to bypass congress to get what he deems good for the American people just goes to show that he isn’t being sensored any more. This needs to be in an campaign ad.

JAGonzo on August 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Opsycho is so deep into dementia he actually believes he’s getting a second term. But since his imagined second term will be President Romney’s first term, of course McConnell’s imperative of making him a one-termer will be irrelevant bcuz it’ll be achieved, and with both houses of Congress safely owned by Republicans and Conservatives, I can see them and their president with some healthy debate reaching agreement on legislation and policies that move America forward into prosperity and world power once again. Maybe even energy independence.

stukinIL4now on August 30, 2012 at 7:42 PM

He knows what’s good for the American people like Bill Clinton knows how to be faithful in a marriage..

Wagthatdog on August 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Hey, they just played a song at the RNC that had to be dedicated to Opipedream and his comment in this post … but it was just my imagination, once again, runnin’ away with me, it was just my imagination runnin’ away …

stukinIL4now on August 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM

“…like a ship desperately trying to sail on yesterday’s wind”
~Paul Ryan
August 29th, 2012

Strike Hornet on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

…just you…repeating that…calmed me down!

KOOLAID2 on August 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Either it’s left wing radicalism or permission for the next Republican President to do the same. I wonder which it is.

jaime on August 30, 2012 at 8:48 PM

As usual, plenty of “I”, “me” and “my” in his statements.

flstc on August 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM

No, Moron, the cost is to the American people.

For crying out loud.

Tenwheeler on August 31, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Obama is truly delusional.

Uh…Mr. President, we haven’t seen a budget come out of the Senate in three years, and budget proposals must be brought to the floor by the Senate Majority Leader, who is not (yet) Mitch McConnell, but Harry Reid. Go ask Harry Reid for a budget!!! If four more Republican Senators are elected, and Mitch McConnell becomes Majority Leader, he’ll want to get things done all right, but not exactly what you had in mind!!!

Steve Z on August 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The American people know what is good for them…which is why they elected Congress.

News Flash to Obama: The law says there is no king here, since 1787.

Fannie and Freddie giving money away to people who can’t afford to repay their loans? Who’d a thunk it? Isn’t this how we got into this mess you “inherited”?

At no cost to the Federal Government? What did you do with those $5 trillion you borrowed?

Steve Z on August 31, 2012 at 9:41 AM

“…popping of the blister…” “…work around Congress…” “…get that done without legislation.”

Translation: Full blown dictatorship.

labrat on August 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM

How comforting it is to know that C-L-U-E-L-E-S-S is running the country.

rjoco1 on August 30, 2012 at 7:38 PM

He is not clueless. He knows exactly what he’s doing. This interview was a not so subtle threat.

labrat on August 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Just like he was after democrats got their a$$es handed to them in 2010, right?

Scrappy on August 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM