New conservative ad: The faded Obama poster on the wall

posted at 4:37 pm on August 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

From Crossroads Generation, a new spot recalling the most memorable line from Ryan’s speech last night. Much like the Democrats’ Mediscare tactics, this ad is designed less to get a core constituency from the other side to cross over, I think, than it is to convince them to stay home on election day. Because let’s face it: If young adults, of all people, are willing to back O’s negligence on Medicare more than any other age group, their votes really aren’t gettable. They’re locked in. They bought the Hopenchange myth, to the point where some of them are still darned proud of that faded poster. But if you force them to stare at how little O’s done for them, that might convince some critical mass that he’s not worth voting for, even if he’s worth rooting for. That’s the best you can hope for here, I think. If I’m being too eeyorish, I’m happy to stand corrected. Evidence, please?

Update: A friend e-mails with a fair point:

[T]hink you miss the audience for Ryan’s line. Ryan’s appeal to unemployed college kids living in their childhood bedrooms may not get THEM to vote against Obama… but it sure as hell will get their *pissed-off parents* to vote against Obama.

Want to appeal to “women voters”? Promise exhausted moms that the GOP will get their slacker kids off the couch and into their own jobs and apartments.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wow. That got me right in the gut. GREAT AD.

John the Libertarian on August 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Get husbands and sons to pick up their underwear and do their own laundry, and the Democrats would never get another vote from a mom…

malclave on August 30, 2012 at 5:33 P

Honey, they’re politicians, no magicians.

katy the mean old lady on August 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM

colony14,

I pledge to be a servant to our president

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I love that ad! The only thing missing is the poster turning ugly like the portrait of Dorian Gray, or the young man putting up a Romney/Ryan poster in its place.

this will leave a scar…trust me…when my wife really wants to dig she’ll mention my Carter vote

DanMan on August 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Cheer up, Dan. When I was a naive college student, I voted for Carter in 1976, but faced with the possibility of unemployment, I voted for Reagan in 1980. Did you?

This ad is aimed at this year’s recent college graduates, still looking for their first job!

Steve Z on August 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I’m impressed by the turnaround. Usually something with that kind of quick reveal is pretty bad, but that’s a good use of greenscreen and some simple 3D compositions.

budfox on August 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM

From The Obama Timeline…

The voice-over, “I pledge to be a servant to our president,” is from a 2009 Obama propaganda video made by Oprah Winfrey’s Harpo Productions.

Colony14 on August 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM

This pledge is better!

profitsbeard on August 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Remember all of those ridiculous media composed photos of Obama with halos , etc?
Here’s the NY Times front page photographic treatment of Paul Ryan:

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on August 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I saw one of Romney on their website page just after he selected Ryan and I swear it looked like they had snipers on the roof above him with him blurred out. I was like, “What kind of picture is THAT?!”

UnderstandingisPower on August 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM

This pledge is better!

profitsbeard on August 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Ha, ha, ha. “To not think of this pen as black, but African-American.” ROFL.

SailorMark on August 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I have nothing empirical. But I do know that they will vote for the cool candidate. Tell them who the cool candidate is, and that’s who they’ll vote for. That’s it. Easiest votes in the world to get, if you can get a message to them through the Imperial Guards.

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Ha!! Awesome ad!!

JAM on August 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

jimver on August 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I didn’t know you were so young.

Steve Austin was the man for Farrah.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Him!…thirties here (sigh), my Götterdämmerung has just begun :)….no, but I think most of my lapses (pop culture wise) have to do not so much with the age, but with me growing up in France and in a very eurocentric movie culture, well, sort of…I did see most of the great American classics though…I don’t get a lot of the American pop culture references especially from the sitcom and soap opera category, also comic books and heroes ( my idea of a comic book growing up in france was shhh rin tin tin :) and the only super hero ever heard of growing up there was, shocka. ..superman :) …am often teased at work for that, and by mean American friends :)…..but am catching up :)…

jimver on August 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Here’s the NY Times front page photographic treatment of Paul Ryan:

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on August 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Bias? Who, us?

Progressive hivemind.

John the Libertarian on August 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM

The poster should have had more edge dirt/wear plus a few dart holes and some scrawled phone numbers, and grocery notes for verisimilitude.

And a squashed spider on the back when he peels it off.

profitsbeard on August 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

jimver on August 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Not sure Farrah made it into many classics. She and I did, if I remember correctly, date for years.

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

*rip, FF. :)

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

heh

cmsinaz on August 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Steve Z on August 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

mums the word…my first vote was for Ford…I guess incumbents were like soft kittens when I was a kid.

I don’t like cats now either. Unless my dog is chasing them.

DanMan on August 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I remember being so disillusioned by the result after voting in my first Presidential election that I didn’t vote in several after that. Young ‘uns can be quite idealistic so I think many of them will just stay home believing that their vote doesn’t matter. They might also be questioning their judgment, wondering how they couldda been so wrong, and may be hesitant to pull the trigger again.

stukinIL4now on August 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

colony14,

I pledge to be a servant to our president

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Forgot this was really a campaign ad. It was creepy then and even creepier now. “Servant”. Whoever in the history of this country would have ever thought to use such a word when referencing an American president.

pjean on August 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Total mea culpa…I did recover and vote for Reagan and Bush 41 back to back but then stumbled and voted Perot in ’92. Puh-leeeeze don’t tell Mrs. DanMan.

The night Clinton won I tried to explain to her Clinton was not evil and to respect the office. Man did I ever have to walk that one back but I did bet a buddy the night Clinton wagged his finger that he lied and was rewarded with a payout several months later.

DanMan on August 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I love it, but that was a pretty damned quick turn-around time for an ad from an uncoordinated SuperPAC, wouldn’t you say?…

(Think from between ~9pm last night and ~4pm today, they scripted, built sets, cast a baby and the 20-something, shot, and edited (with a bunch of choice Obama audio) this thing?)

Unless Ryan’s been using this line in his stump speech for the past week or two and it was a good bet he’d use it again…

wvose on August 30, 2012 at 6:16 PM

this needs to go on every bloody alphabet channel….

cmsinaz on August 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I thought the line

“If your not working its not your fault, its the governments fault” (paraphrased) was shocking. I thought the GOP was the party of self reliance, not relying on the Government.

I dont know anyone in my age range who is out of work and no government fairy came and knocked on our door and handed us jobs. We worked on our resumes, mock interviewed each other, when someone is out of a job we use social networks to help them find another, we let people sleep on our couches for 30 days, drive our cars to make interviews, pay phone bills for phone interviews and were all doing okay.

That’s not to say that some might be out of work but to simply say if you dont have a job its the governments fault, thats not something I expected to hear from a Republican. So you mean to tell me I can quit my job, move back in with my mom and play Xbox all day and thats not my fault? Its the Governments?

Oh, okay…

Politricks on August 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

jimver on August 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM

blimey, who are you??? :) …that was actually my point in my first post, that the only way I knew who she was is from a magazine cover :)…

jimver on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The line about 20somethings living in the same bedroom was an effective one. That said, it should be pointed out that some people who are not lazy OR unemployed live with their parents, as this situation just works best for all in the family. Many help out with the bills or housework or an elderly parent or grandparent.

Ryan’s subject was those living with parents by necessity. I understand why he mentioned it; I just want to point out that not everyone who lives with his or her parents over age X is a stoner-loser-moocher-slacker type.

bmmg39 on August 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Nice job with the strawman. Yes dimmest of wits government can kill jobs. Why are you so consistently stupid? Do you ever think for yourself?

CW on August 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Oh, okay…

Politricks on August 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

You’re one tiresome b*tch btw. Inane.

CW on August 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM

In my day (which is some time ago) every teenager I knew longed for the day they could leave home.

I am optimistic that young people will turn on Obama. Youth tends to be romantic and absolutist. If you accept the role of Messiah, you’d better be able to deliver, and it had better be in the terms young people expect. Impossible.

stillings on August 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM