Fox News source: Yep, Clint Eastwood is tonight’s mystery speaker; Update: Confirmation?

posted at 1:21 pm on August 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Dan Riehl and Ace, you already sort of knew this but now you really sort of know it:

Officials confirmed Wednesday that a surprise guest was still on the schedule but declined further comment.

One Republican source told FoxNews.com that Eastwood is indeed the mystery speaker, following an online report that claimed the actor is planning to travel to Tampa for the convention.

If the Academy Award winner is the one, he could get a mixed reception with the Hollywood-leery crowd.

“He’s all right, despite being associated with Hollywood,” Bruce Thompson, a California delegate, said laconically. “He’s a good guy and was a good mayor.”

C’mon. Does anyone think Clint Eastwood, who’s been a libertarian-leaning Republican for decades on top of being an international symbol of American western badass-ery, isn’t going to be received rapturously? Romney will have an honest-to-goodness liberal Democrat speaking on his behalf tonight too and she’ll also be well received, just as Zell Miller and Artur Davis were. As long as you’re helping to beat the Democrat, all is forgiven. (Just ask John McCain.) If anything, Eastwood will be more appreciated because he comes from Hollywood, because he’s willing to stand up to the ideological orthodoxy of his industry on a huge stage. And he’s esteemed enough by his peers that he’ll get away with it.

Further circumstantial evidence that it’s Eastwood, posted yesterday on Twitter:

Oswalt’s an actor, comedian, and outspoken liberal. Can’t imagine why he’d have inside info on a mystery speaker at the GOP convention unless it’s someone from his own field and he’s hearing it through the Hollywood grapevine. And the only reason that he’d be disappointed is if that guy was sufficiently respected in entertainment that a liberal would be sad to see him on the other team. All of that points right to Clint.

One other possibility, though: What if Eastwood’s going to speak as a last-minute addition, but he’s not actually the “mystery speaker”? Last night after Palin announced on Facebook that her Wednesday evening segments had all been canceled by Fox News, Ed e-mailed me wondering if they might have done that because they found out she’s the mystery speaker. After all, they wouldn’t want her commenting on air on an event that she’s soon to participate in. Fox’s excuse last night for pulling her was that they had to scramble to compress their schedule once the convention shrank from four days to three, but that makes no sense. If you’re going to bump people off the air, you’re not going to bump someone with Palin’s star power instead of a lesser-known Fox News analyst. And if you’re intent on bumping Palin, why on earth would you bump her last night instead of Tuesday? McCain spoke last night, as did her successor as VP nominee. If there’s any night you’d want her on air to react, last night was it. Either it’s bad programming by Fox or there’s more going on here.

Update: Romney pal Paul Gilbert says yes, it’s Eastwood. 100 percent sure.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

No Comment.

Bmore on August 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Go ahead, make my day!

NoFanofLibs on August 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

But, Wilder. :(

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I’m going with Marie Osmond. Even if it’s not, she’s eye candy for the wait.

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Works for me

cmsinaz on August 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Does anyone know when this ‘mystery speaker’ will be on? I looked at the schedule on Fox and no mention of it.
L

letget on August 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

“Andrea, can you ask Mr. Eastwood if his speech was directed at the birthers?” – Chris Matthews

VinceOfDoom on August 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

If it is Eastwood, it’s a letdown.

bobs1196 on August 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I doubt it would be Palin. It would show collusion between Fox and the RNC.

ButterflyDragon on August 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I can’t forgive him for that Superbowl commercial for GM, but he does have more conservative views than 90% of Hollywood.

I hope he drops the hammer on the libs.

dthorny on August 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I’m going with Marie Osmond. Even if it’s not, she’s eye candy for the wait.

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM

What, because she’s Mormon?

CycloneCDB on August 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

What is this? The GOP’s attempt to try to compete this year in the “our celebrities are bigger than your celebrities” contest? I like Clint and I’m glad he’s a voice for the right in Hollywood, but how does that earn him the gravitas to be an extra special featured speaker at the convention?

patriette on August 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

My bet was that George Bush Senior was going to parachute in like the Queen, but sadly it seems he is not well enough. Would that stop him?

Fleuries on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I doubt it would be Palin. It would show collusion between Fox and the RNC.

How so? If she accepted the invite at the last second and then told Fox, they could cancel her appearances to avoid collusion.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

As I had suspected, Clint Eastwood, Nancy Reagan or Sarah Palin. I just hope if it is Eastwood, that he doesn’t give a namby pamby, half hearted, slap at Obama. I want to see Dirty Harry on that stage. An angry Dirty Harry.

BettyRuth on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

How about Zombie Derial Book?

“Obama will come at you sideways…”

Darksean on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I hope Walt Kowalski gives that speech.

Pusscakes.

portlandon on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I am pretty sure I am not first. But what the heck.
FIRST!

southernms on August 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

But, Wilder. :(

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I actually think Wilder will vote for Romney, but he won’t support him openly. Wilder always hedges his bets.

Bat Chain Puller on August 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Odds on him saying Obama, get off my lawn?

tdpwells on August 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Isnt this the a$$-clown that cheered the auto bailout? LOL? The GOP isn’t much better that the crooked DNC.

MoreLiberty on August 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

If it is Eastwood, it’s a letdown.

bobs1196 on August 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Totally.

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

patriette on August 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

An attempt to get the media to tune in to what he says at the Republican convention.

dthorny on August 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Dick Cheney is going to wheel in the nuke from Iraq.

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

We shall see…

Seven Percent Solution on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Bullsh!t.

Clint Eastwood (my childhood hero) is a useless wussy (see “It’s halftime in America”).

He’s a squish-RINO-windsock and an embarassment.

Kiss my @ss Eastwood – you showed your true colors in that superbowl ad, you’re no badass, you’re certainly not conservative, and nothing would please me more than giving you the b!tch-slapping you so desperately deserve.

D-Bag.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Patton Oswalt✔
@pattonoswalt

I actually know who the mystery speaker is tonight. Like, for real. Kinda bummed about it, too.

Yeah it sucks when someone doesn’t walk lockstep with the rest of us out of touch Hollywood liberals.

Scrappy on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

IF it were to be a Hollywood celebrity whose appearance would really sting for the left, and it wasn’t Eastwood, it might be DAVID MAMET.

Mamet was the darling of the left. A veritable icon. They had hailed him as a genius for years. When he had his awakening and realized that he was actually a conservative, and said so in no uncertain terms, it floored the left, and they haven’t gotten over it to this day.

I’d laugh out loud if Mamet walked out on that stage at the RNC.

thatsafactjack on August 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

If Palin were the mystery speaker, she wouldn’t have publicly complained that Fox axed her interviews. She’s not a dummy, she’d know why they were cut.

KingGold on August 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Dick Cheney is going to wheel in the nuke from Iraq.

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Awesomeness. “I asked President Obama to come to Tampa so I could shove this thing up his @$$, but he declined.”

CycloneCDB on August 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Palin needs to speak in 7pm pst prime time slot, or it won’t help much. Of course, if the de facto leader of the Tea Party doesn’t speak at all, if she’s dissed that bad, that would be bad for short and long term party unity, real bad.

anotherJoe on August 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

It’s sad that governments are cheated by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life… or death.

… It shall be life.

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

College football season starts tonight, I hope I don’t miss Clint…

Pest on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I’m very concerned that the Mayans were right.

Allah is posting way too early these days.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Eastwood would be OK. Still think it’s Palin though.

Also Newsflash:

Chris Mathews on hearing Clint Eastwood will speak at GOP convention. “Everyone knows Eastwood’s a racist. I’ve even been told it’s not a big secret in Hollywood. His Dirty Harry character even used the “n” word. He likes playing racists in his movies. You could even say his movies promote racism. Nothing new here.”

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Eastwood would be fine.

Palin would rock the house.

sauldalinsky on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Dick Cheney is going to wheel in the nuke from Iraq.

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I love Dick Cheney. I wonder what kind of a reaction he’d get if it was him.

BettyRuth on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Allahpundit on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

How so? Because they claim she’s not on their network because of the compressed schedule. That “they’ cancelled her appearances, not that she cancelled them. She also says they are the ones that cancelled her appearances, not her.

If she or Fox had stated “she” cancelled her appearances due to a conflict, then it would be understandable. But right now both she and the network state Fox cancelled her appearances. Which would mean they were working with the RNC to have her scheduled there.

ButterflyDragon on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I doubt it would be Palin. It would show collusion between Fox and the RNC.

Huckabee spoke last night and there was no appearance of collusion

austinconservative on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

College football season starts tonight, I hope I don’t miss Clint…

Pest on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

What are you watching? A&M v LA Tech is cancelled, the only other semi-interesting game is SC v Vandy, which will be a slaughter.

Eastwood (or Palin) would be better than that.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

THE ROCK

Swerve22 on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

The RNC has done a very good job picking speakers this week. Tonight will be no different. And, the suspense has been fun.

txhsmom on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I hope he’s mumbly and hard to understand, like always!

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Will not happen………she would suck the oxygen right out of the convention.

I still say it might be the political turncoat Colin Powell.

PappyD61 on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Here’s an off-the-wall candidate for mystery speaker: Colin Powell? A change of heart after 4 years of hopenchange?

md on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

‘Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’

I’m still hoping that Doug Wilder comes out and endorses Romney, so we can see lib heads explode. But, Eastwood would be great too.

changer1701 on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

L

letget on August 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Right before Rubio, who’s slated to speak around 10 p.m. ET.

GOPRanknFile on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

KingGold on August 30, 2012

Of course she’d know why, but she might have objected. Huckabee got to do his show last week even though he was scheduled to speak at the convention. Why can’t Palin comment and then speak too? She’s been endorsing Romney openly on the air lately; it’s not like she’s supposed to be neutral on the election in her commentary.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Or is he?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Didn’t you get beat yesterday for this level of snark?

Glutton for punishment?

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I mean really, why would they give the floor to a celebrity ? We all know most of them favor the left in general and Obama in particular….it’s a Me Too to me, the Democrats might as well let Jay-Z

thebrokenrattle on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Dick Cheney is going to wheel in the nuke from Iraq.

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

CycloneCDB on August 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Thanks for that. Everyone in the room is staring at me now.

The best part about that is that I could see him do it.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

It wouldn’t matter if the mystery guest was Bill Clinton, who had a last minute change of heart and decided to endorse Romney, and he was joined on stage by Howard Dean and Tom Daschle. The network panelists would just talk over them and not show the speeches or identify who was on stage.

ardenenoch on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Eastwood is an inspiring speaker- he’ll light up the audience

bayam on August 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

If it were Palin, why the weird FB post? She doesn’t strike me as one to be deliberately deceptive.

John the Libertarian on August 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I’m very concerned that the Mayans were right.

Allah is posting way too early these days.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Shuffling the deck with some of them at the convention.

Or party week.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

My pick is George W. Bush.

bluefox on August 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

It would definitely be a huge disappointment. To rely on an aging, raspy-voiced actor to ramp up the GOP energy decries the seriousness of the event. If they wanted Hollywood celebs to cheer for the GOP, Tuesday night would have been the appropriate time. Tonight belongs to the presidential nominee and I hope it isn’t cheapened by the appearance of an entertainment celebrity.

I was hoping for Limbaugh (who had insisted for weeks that he wasn’t going to be anywhere near Tampa) or Palin (although I presumed the GOP hierarchy would have kept her waaaaay far from Florida.) No one else can bring the excitement of those two rousing speakers.

Qzsusy on August 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I’m guessing a trifecta – Palin, Eastwood, and Chuck Norris. On stage at the same time.

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I swear Rush Limbaugh must refresh this site as often as I do.

BettyRuth on August 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Anyone think he might be there to speak to, and on behalf of, our more seasoned citizens? Who better?

raybruce93 on August 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Meh.

Sacramento on August 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

How sure are we that it couldn’t be Bill Clinton?

He could just come out playing the sax; it’d be perfect.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

-Cultural icon, Oscar winner, nice guy, hard to dislike/discredit.

-Appeal to seniors: huge, reliable voting bloc.

-Endless quotable quotes.

Sounds pretty good to me.

P.S. made an awesome documentary about Thelonious Monk. So, yeah.

Bat Chain Puller on August 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Clint would be a fantastic choice if he’s in fact the surprise speaker. People respect the dude, especially seniors. I just hope he doesn’t mind never being nominated for another Oscar after doing this. Same with Gerald Molen BTW who co-produced 2016: Obama’s America.

BTW, Clint Eastwood used racial epithets when playing Dirty Harry. Therefore, Clint Eastwood is racist. That according to the logic of the MSDNC crew.

Doughboy on August 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

GOPRanknFile on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Thanks for the information.
L

letget on August 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Oswalt’s an actor, comedian, and outspoken liberal

Liberal? He’s as Proggy as it gets.

I’d laugh out loud if Mamet walked out on that stage at the RNC.

thatsafactjack on August 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

That would be awesome, because it would be as hard a speech as we could hear from someone outside Limbaugh.

budfox on August 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Thought it would be him out of all the picks…

Not totally inspired, but who knows, maybe he’s had a change of heart since the GM ad…

“Make my Day”! Hope he brings it…

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Call me cynical, but I just think anybody who’s saying they know the ID are just trying to gain attention.
If it’s Clint, fine. Sarah, also fine. Someone else (like the gal who survived an abortion ??), also fine.
But I’m just doubtful that ANYONE really knows.
Don’t want to scroll up on the iPad … What time will this person appear ??

pambi on August 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I swear Rush Limbaugh must refresh this site as often as I do.

BettyRuth on August 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

No joke. Very little attribution too.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Was really hoping for Palin….oh well.

Longtime Eastwood fan, but I worry he’s too old and
frail…instead of tall and mean.

ToddPA on August 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Hey! Rush just wished my George Obama pick was the guest speaker! Sweet!

budfox on August 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I like the idea of Eastwood taking the stage.

Putting Palin up there would be a disaster. Not her fault, but she’s too easy a target and would undo all the hard work the other speakers have put in to build support for the Romney ticket. Palin would be a distraction that would overshadow the entire night.

DRayRaven on August 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Meryl Streep hardest hit.

ardenenoch on August 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

md on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Not just no but hell no! He made his foxhole and he can rot in it.

bgibbs1000 on August 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM

You bet. You know in my line of work, you gotta be able either to sing “The Battle Hymn Of The Republic” or “Dixie” with equal enthusiasm… dependin’ upon present company.

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM

If we want to win the Latino vote, the mystery speaker must be Jose Jalapeno and Jeff Dunham

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Doughboy on August 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM

He made amends when he gave his Gran Torino to the asian kid.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Allahpundit on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Oh this is grand. How does that even…I mean…why is she…Fox News…ahh forget it. What a tangled web…

StoneKrab on August 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I don’t agree with the attitude about how Clint supported the auto bailout and therefore we shouldn’t want him at the RNC. Remember the parable of the Prodigal Son? Better to bring ex-Republicans back to the party than to exclude them when they want to return.

Similarly for Colin Powell, if he admits that he really misjudged Obama.

J.S.K. on August 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Hahahahahaha.

Media concern-trolling at its very finest.

Hayabusa on August 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Don’t vote for that punk, again. Unless you feel lucky. Well, do ya, punks?

- Clint
[speaking to the punks who voted for The Commie]

I think it’d be kinda cool, if Clint is the mystery. But, I’m still watching some college football, instead.

Y’all enjoy.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Surprise speaker at Democratic Convention—Jerry Sandusky; because he has never been part of the War On Women and has the legal papers to prove it.

GreenBlade on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

No idea how good he is at speeches (although he has won public office in the past, presumably making a few public speeches) but he’s sharp and articulate in small venues and in person. Could be a surprisingly good choice.

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Allahpundit on August 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Because, if true, Fox didn’t just cancel her appearances. They also put out a phony cover story to help her conceal her surprise appearance when, as a news organization, they shouldn’t be doing that.

Shump on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Has AP been demoted to commenter? OK, just kidding.

If this is a last full blown media opportunity to capture the votes in areas we need to shore up, whether it be wimminis, youth, minorities, Jews, Indies, etc, where is Clint helping out? I mean we rightfully demonize routinely Hollyweird, and now we bring one of their own up front and center.

From Mitt who was able to keep Paul a secret and not able to with Clint—humm—I remain unconvinced.

hillsoftx on August 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

You never fail to crack me up.
Good work !
:-)

pambi on August 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

If we wanted somebody from Hollywood, how about Dennis Miller?

Steve Z on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Maybe he’s just introducing hologram reagan?

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Thanks for that. Everyone in the room is staring at me now.

The best part about that is that I could see him do it.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

My pleasure. I know what you mean. I got a look or two when I chortled whilst typing it.

CycloneCDB on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

as a news organization, they shouldn’t be doing that.

Shump on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Oh, come on. They are feaux news anyway, right?

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

You’re alot more forgiving than I am, Mr. Limbaugh.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

So what happened to Trump’s “big surprise”?

50sGuy on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

He made amends when he gave his Gran Torino to the asian kid.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

And didn’t he have an Asian partner in his last Dirty Harry movie, The Dead Pool? Who was played by the same actor who was in the spoof, A Fistful of Yen, in The Kentucky Fried Movie, and that title poked fun at the classic Clint Eastwood western. Everything comes full circle!

Doughboy on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

“Clint Eastwood sure shot alot of minorities in his movies over the years. Rachel, Larry is this just another dog whistle?” – Chris Matthews

Chuck Schick on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Maybe he’s just introducing hologram reagan?

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I would sh*t my pants.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Either it’s bad programming by Fox or there’s more going on here.

Hmmmmmmm.

the_nile on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM

You’re a re-enactor?

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

If we wanted somebody from Hollywood, how about Dennis Miller?

Steve Z on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Dennis Miller’s comedy isn’t for everyone. Imagine taking a risk on someone who uses so many obscure references. Not exactly the smartest move.

GOPRanknFile on August 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Chuck Schick on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Oh, come on. We all know Chris Matthews wouldn’t even ask. Of course it’s a dog whistle you bigoted rethuglican.

John_Locke on August 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM