Fox News source: Yep, Clint Eastwood is tonight’s mystery speaker; Update: Confirmation?

posted at 1:21 pm on August 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Dan Riehl and Ace, you already sort of knew this but now you really sort of know it:

Officials confirmed Wednesday that a surprise guest was still on the schedule but declined further comment.

One Republican source told FoxNews.com that Eastwood is indeed the mystery speaker, following an online report that claimed the actor is planning to travel to Tampa for the convention.

If the Academy Award winner is the one, he could get a mixed reception with the Hollywood-leery crowd.

“He’s all right, despite being associated with Hollywood,” Bruce Thompson, a California delegate, said laconically. “He’s a good guy and was a good mayor.”

C’mon. Does anyone think Clint Eastwood, who’s been a libertarian-leaning Republican for decades on top of being an international symbol of American western badass-ery, isn’t going to be received rapturously? Romney will have an honest-to-goodness liberal Democrat speaking on his behalf tonight too and she’ll also be well received, just as Zell Miller and Artur Davis were. As long as you’re helping to beat the Democrat, all is forgiven. (Just ask John McCain.) If anything, Eastwood will be more appreciated because he comes from Hollywood, because he’s willing to stand up to the ideological orthodoxy of his industry on a huge stage. And he’s esteemed enough by his peers that he’ll get away with it.

Further circumstantial evidence that it’s Eastwood, posted yesterday on Twitter:

Oswalt’s an actor, comedian, and outspoken liberal. Can’t imagine why he’d have inside info on a mystery speaker at the GOP convention unless it’s someone from his own field and he’s hearing it through the Hollywood grapevine. And the only reason that he’d be disappointed is if that guy was sufficiently respected in entertainment that a liberal would be sad to see him on the other team. All of that points right to Clint.

One other possibility, though: What if Eastwood’s going to speak as a last-minute addition, but he’s not actually the “mystery speaker”? Last night after Palin announced on Facebook that her Wednesday evening segments had all been canceled by Fox News, Ed e-mailed me wondering if they might have done that because they found out she’s the mystery speaker. After all, they wouldn’t want her commenting on air on an event that she’s soon to participate in. Fox’s excuse last night for pulling her was that they had to scramble to compress their schedule once the convention shrank from four days to three, but that makes no sense. If you’re going to bump people off the air, you’re not going to bump someone with Palin’s star power instead of a lesser-known Fox News analyst. And if you’re intent on bumping Palin, why on earth would you bump her last night instead of Tuesday? McCain spoke last night, as did her successor as VP nominee. If there’s any night you’d want her on air to react, last night was it. Either it’s bad programming by Fox or there’s more going on here.

Update: Romney pal Paul Gilbert says yes, it’s Eastwood. 100 percent sure.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

But according to your logic, he his political view should not have been taken seriously since he was an actor.

jazzmo on August 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

No they shouldn’t. Just like if he had been a crooner or ballet dancer. Some of his political views warranted attention after he became SAG president and then, latter, a conservative activist and ideologue.

BoxHead1 on August 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

c’mon Jim…do you think filmakers invest millions to lose money?

In Hollywood and the business world – box office IS all there is to a movie.

You’re smarter than this.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Yeah, bur that wasn’t exactly my point…I guess my the point I was trying to make was that box office definitely isn’t all there is to a brilliant life long career, whether acting or directing or both…of course filmakers are in it for the money, the producers anyways..but it so happens that some movies that are actually very good escape the box office bubble with no ‘fatal’ (as in dead careers) consequences for the actors or directors involved….the movies in question are still vey good despite not cashing a lot, and the people behind them or in them still have pretty dang good careers post said box office flops….and a prolific director like eastwood can afford a few box office flops without damaging his brand in any way…the way it works, creative geniuses rarely strike 2 golds one after the other :), there’s always some struggling and some inspirational vaccum in between, and actually a flop in between two masterpieces is usually the mark of a great director :)….besides, in creative and stylistic terms Eastwood’s ‘flops’ are probably a kazillion times better than some mindless block busters that made hundreds of millions (take that ‘titanic’, most excruciating 3 full hours that I spent in my life, watching a dang ship sink, not to mention that on top of it all I had to listen to that horror canadian chick on the soudtrack), but hey Cameron is the awesomest director evah :)… at least so his latest blue movie massive box office would have us think…

jimver on August 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Megyn Kelly just said that when she comes back from commercial break she’ll be speaking with Gov. Sarah Palin.

steebo77 on August 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM
That’s a nice pair.

faraway on August 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I see what you did there…….

Tenwheeler on August 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM

“It’s sad that governments are cheated by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life… or death.

… It shall be life.”

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Dude…!

… +7%!

Seven Percent Solution on August 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Dont Critizize Obama’s policies in your speech Clint

Eastwood: What you want me to do yell Trick or Treat!!!!

Conservative4ev on August 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

HEH.

Line from Dirty Harry:

“When a naked man is chasing a woman down the street
with a butcher knife, I figure he’s not out collecting
for the Red Cross.”

Police Commissioner: “He’s got a point”

ToddPA on August 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM

BoxHead1 on August 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

But Clint was a mayor, how does that fit with your rules of credibility to speak about political subjects?

jazzmo on August 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I liked the theory floated by Ari on Entourage that Clint’s movies actually cost way less then reported and that he pockets the difference. That might almost be true. Million Dollar Baby was said to cost 30 mil(and was shot in just over a month!), but it actually had a budget of only 18 mil.

Doughboy on August 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

So what you are saying is the people that pay the bills paid what Clint thought the movie might cost and not the actual cost, and they gave Clint the difference?

You need to be hanging on every word next week when your peeps are on tv…..

Tenwheeler on August 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

jazzmo on August 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

He was the Mayor of Carmel(by memory so correct me if I’m wrong) for 2 years. Sonny Bono was also mayor of Carmel. Have you been there? It’s a suburban like, small town of very wealthy hollyweird types. The role of mayor is probably ceremonial (it was 2 years). They aren’t trying to expand or grow. Probably the opposite. That doesn’t cut it for me.

Too much time on this and not enough on work. Thanks for the discourse jazzmo.

BoxHead1 on August 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Doughboy on August 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

You need to be hanging on every word next week when your peeps are on tv…..

Tenwheeler on August 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Slow down, pardner. You are forgetting that most, if not all, of Eastwood’s films are co-produced by Malpaso Productions, which is Eastwood’s own company. There may indeed be a clause that gives him a percentage if he comes in under budget. No socialism involved.

HTL on August 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Ask your kid who clint eastwood is.

Ask your kid if he/she would go to a movie soley because it starred clint eastwood.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Guess what Mr. Contrarian……
I made my kids watch Clint – and they actually enjoyed it ! Can you imagine that ! I guess if I lived in CA, I would have to be counseled.

But you’re right- He is no match for the value-less list of fools the Democrites will be pulling out at the DNC with their gangtsa rappers and inspiring role models like Sean Penn and the Kardashian family.

But hey, Do the best you can…right ??

FlaMurph on August 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Eastwood made a successful foray into elected politics. He was elected mayor in April 1986 of Carmel-by-the-Sea, California (population 4,000), a wealthy small town and artist community on the Monterey Peninsula. He served one term. A focal point of Eastwood’s campaign was to overturn a law that banned eating ice cream in public.

J_Crater on August 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM

J_Crater on August 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Well c’mon! That was a ridiculous law! lol

jazzmo on August 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Too much time on this and not enough on work. Thanks for the discourse jazzmo.

BoxHead1 on August 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Wrong on all counts. Sonny Bono was Mayor of Palm Springs, not Carmel, and the mayoralty of Carmel is not a ceremonial position. Eastwood ran to eliminate red tape and get the city and the business community working together. He defeated a “preservationist” non-celebrity two-term incumbent, fixed what he wanted to fix and then chose not to run again at the end of his term.

HTL on August 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Nah, it won’t be Eastwood.

Seal Team Six!

(I know that won’t happen,but wouldn’t it be GREAT!)

NavyMustang on August 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM

How would that heal any wounds?

changer1701 on August 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I think it might make us less of adversary’s within the same Party. Big Tent if you will.

Maybe they’re interested in winning the election. Having Sarah speak would make that harder to do than it already is.

xblade on August 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Could swing either way I suppose. Just because you hold the opinion that it would harm Romneys chances doesn’t make it so.

Bmore on August 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Guess what Mr. Contrarian……

But hey, Do the best you can…right ??

FlaMurph on August 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Murph…of course they loved them….he was a handsome, gritty action-movie super-star.

We all loved them….but again….time for a reality check….he’s friggin’ pushing 90.

I’m sorry people age…..I really am. I’m sorry stars rise and fall (do your kids like charlie chaplin? How about ol’ bogart or
even Rock Hudson?)

Again….you’re sorta making my point here.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

You need to be hanging on every word next week when your peeps are on tv…..

Tenwheeler on August 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I wasn’t being serious. It was a joke told on Entourage by Jeremy Piven’s Ari Gold(incidentally based on Ari Emanual, brother of Rahm) about Clint being so efficient with his budgets and shooting schedules that he pockets the extra money left over. I seriously doubt he really does that.

Doughboy on August 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

HTL on August 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Wrong on 1 count and I wrote that it was from memory and to please correct me if wrong(you cut that off my post). Palm Springs is a real town so I shouldn’t have conflated Clint and Sonny. Sonny was a more involved public servant.

J_Crater on August 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM

But really this is not worth the OCD that I’m displaying. I’m getting back to work.

BoxHead1 on August 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Doughboy on August 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

You gave up too fast. Go back and read my comment at 4:15 pm. Whether you heard it on a TV show or not, it may very well be true that Eastwood has performance bonuses tied to coming in on time and/or under budget.

HTL on August 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Ask your kid who clint eastwood is.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Kids vote in inverse proportion to geezers and we need the geezer vote this election.

Go Clint!

NoDonkey on August 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

OT: But remember the $6 million man?

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Go Clint!

NoDonkey on August 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

lol….you’ve got mine (and I’m well-past geezer and into grizzled)

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Please let these rumors be wrong. We don’t need no stinking celebutard speakers.

MJBrutus on August 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Palin was on the phone from Wasilla. She’s definitely not the ?????? person.

steebo77 on August 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Thanks. I believed Sarah the first time as you probably did.

bluefox on August 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I believed it was Sarah Palin only because I was hoping they
were not going to prove how arrogant, petty and stupid they really are by not having the first repub female candidate speaking in a prime time position.

Amjean on August 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

…of course I meant “first repub female VP candidate………

Amjean on August 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM

He’s too old…

Alibali on August 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

If I’m not mistaken, Palin was invited to speak when they were scheduling and she declined.

Barred on August 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I want to see Clint stub out his cigar in Chris Matthews’ eye.

“Yer leg still tinglin’, boy?”

captn2fat on August 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

My family loves Clint Eastwood, spaghetti westerns and all, and is looking forward to his new movie.

I’d MUCH rather listen to him than to someone like spineless Mitch McConnell.

Common Sense on August 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Can’t wait for the “Clint looked angry up there tonight” spin. Clint always looks angry.

stldave on August 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

NOPE! Not Clint Eastwood. This just in…

Mystery Speaker: “Hillary Clinton”

Turns out we now know why she won’t be attending the Democratic National Convention…She’s going to announce that she has decided to switch parties.

Varchild on August 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM

-”international symbol of American western badass-ery”
-”appreciated because he comes from Hollywood”
-pro gay marriage
-barely Republican

Good pick.

Dave Rywall on August 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Short Speech by Clint:

“Mr. Pres., wife and staff,, “get’m up move’m out.!”

Rawhide,,,,

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Throw in a Classic Car Show and I’m there.

ToddPA

Does Wayne Carini ever make a profit?

He’s always losing money on his deals.

Mecum Auto Show is coming to Dallas next week.
Hubbie is taking a week of vacation so we can drool over the cars.

I told hubbie, “I want a muscle car before I die.”

He told me, There’s a reason why he married me!

Typicalwhitewoman on August 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

All Clint has to do is say “Obama”.
Then sneer.

Obama will drop out tomorrow.

captn2fat on August 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Not sure if this matters now, but CSPAN shows Eastwood in the line-up (@ 9:55ET): http://www.c-span.org/RNC/Schedule/

eforhan on August 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

May be aginst the law to spit on the floor there at the convention.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 30, 2012 at 5:33 PM

John Voight on Hannity right now.

Another celeb far more qualified to represent Republican thinking than squish eastwood.

Tim_CA on August 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Doughboy on August 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Never watched it.

Ugly on August 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Why do we want to hear Clint from the Convention podium?
Don’t get me wrong; I like Clint Eastwood.
I just can’t believe this will be a “positive”.

(yeah, you all know who I want . . . I’m not even going to mention the name)

listens2glenn on August 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Why? Is Romney a huge fan? Hollywood needs to stay away.

SouthernGent on August 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Just noticed Drudge has the ratings numbers for the Convention, down 17 million since 08, huh?

Bmore on August 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Bmore

Down 17 million since ’08.

That has to be mostly 17 million Democrats not tuning in to watch the Republicans tell the world their Messiah is a failure.

Landslide?

Typicalwhitewoman on August 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

This just in: RNC Ratings Night Two: Networks Lose 17 Million Viewers Compared To Night Two Of 2008 RNC. Hey, Mitt, buy a clue. You needed Palin to introduce your boy Ryan so that he would have had some folks watching. minus 17 million. Ponder that Ms Bluegill. Can’t win elections if 17 million people tune you out. Should have had Palin as the mystery speaker tonight to fire up the base, make the “it’s time to unite the party” speech and get eyeballs on the screen before your speech, Mr. Romney. Oh, silly me, I forgot. You and your brillant advisors think you can diss the base and Governor Palin and still win this election. Wonder what Mitt’s numbers are going to vs Mr. Charm McCain? Think McCain will have had more.

Tarnsman on August 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Clint looking into the camera “Obama, get off my lawn”

dddave on August 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Tarnsman

Do you think 17 million not tuning in would be the TP?

Sure we’re mad as hell being treated like the field hands picking cotton, by the GOP, but we’re still working with Mitt.

We understand the stakes. We’ll give Mitt our votes.

I tend to think it’s a black cloud following the Obozo voters.

Typicalwhitewoman on August 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM

HTL on August 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Exactly. I would expect that any overages would come out of Eastwood/Malpaso’s cut, but overages don’t happen on a Clint Eastwood film.

Every Clint Eastwood picture since Hang ‘Em High in 1968 has been produced, or co-produced by Malpaso, with the majority of financing and distribution coming from Warner Brothers. Clearly, Warners has found the relationship solid enough to keep it going for 40+ years.

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I would like it to be Eastwood and I think Eastwood wants it to be Eastwood because he felt used after it was explained to him about the GM commercial. So there might be some payback there.

Also, I’m glad that this is OVER as I won’t be watching the Democrat convention. We move on to football season and that takes precedence over everything so the Republican’s timing was great IMO.

The only thing the democrats can do now is lower the gas price marginally by letting the strategic oil reserves flow and forgive student loans across the board with his magic wand. It would be Akin vs. Obama at that point over who was more the Magic man.

athenadelphi on August 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

He’s too old…

Alibali on August 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

“I ask for Marines, the division sends me relics.”

Hat Trick on August 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Thank goodness they saved Clint for tonight instead of last night’s RINO night. I listened to Levin’s radio show instead.

lea on August 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Cspan has Clint Eastwood scheduled for 9:55 and Marco Rubio scheduled for 10:04 and Romney at 10:25.

lea on August 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

HTL on August 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

…overages don’t happen on a Clint Eastwood film.

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Eastwood’s films are tightly-scripted, tightly-budgeted and scheduled, and he’s something of a marvel for his single-take style of directing.

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM

He’s also noted for using the same actors and technicians in film after film. All of his cinematographers were gaffers and assistant DP’s before they were promoted up the ranks. Malpaso is a real “family operation”.

Of course, Eastwood didn’t build that…

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Why? Is Romney a huge fan? Hollywood needs to stay away.

SouthernGent on August 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Not much gain, is there? This is starting to look more like a Dean Martin roast, as they drag in the buddies to praise the roastee. Too generational

A war has more meaning if fromer enemies throw aside differences to defeat a common foe. The threat is validated

However, it looks like someone is playing it safe. Ryan was an X factor, he opened up and won an olive wreath. Ann Romney also went where not expected and gained credibility. Romney is an unknown, in context, until the speech is over but in general the uniformity is not reassuring

If Ron Paul stormed the stage, grabbed the mic and declared he would fight with Romney against xxxxx even if he had to fight alone, now that would pump credibility

Marines, the division sends me relics.”

Hat Trick on August 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Expected to peform as expected.

entagor on August 30, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Who won the last time Palin spoke at a convention again?

xblade on August 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Trying to find folks … RNC on cspan and FNC = Reagan tribute .. it was awesome .. now, NEWT !!

pambi on August 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Malpaso is a real “family operation”.

Of course, Eastwood didn’t build that…

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Bravo!

The “family crew” phenomenon is not uncommon among steadily working (and successful) film producers and directors (Ford and Hitchcock come to mind, and Woody Allen), but it’s still remarkable and heart-warming to see in such a dog-eat-dog town. (No wonder Obama visits so often.)

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Ramirez’s mystery speaker: http://www.investors.com/editorial-cartoons/michael-ramirez/623960

davidk on August 30, 2012 at 8:13 PM

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Not to go too off topic, but Woody Allen makes an interesting contrast to Eastwood. Like Eastwood, Allen keeps the budgets low, gets great actors for scale, gets it done in one or two takes, and works with the same talented technicians (DP’s Gordon Willis and Carlo DiPalma; editor Susan Morse; and production designer Santo Loquasto) and producers (sister Letty Aronson, Jack Rollins, and Charles Joffe) for decades at a time. While Eastwood never descended to the squalor of Allen’s Mia Farrow/Soon Yi debacle, he’s had a messy private life, and did go through a rough patch putting girlfriend Sondra Locke into all his films (a relationship that, of course, ended badly). Yet Allen seems lost, while Eastwood has remained an American icon. Eastwood still acts in and directs huge hits that win major awards, while Woody plods along making his boutique art comedies for tiny cult audiences. Eastwood still seems engaged with his craft, while Allen just seems to be going through the motions.

Did it make a difference that Eastwood formed his own production company early, while Woody never did? Until Shadows and Fog, in 1991, Allen worked with only two studios, United Artists and Orion. Orion cut him loose after Shadows, right around the time of the Farrow meltdown (coincidence?). He’s been a box office mess ever since, with most of his movies barely cracking $20,000,000 domestic, with practically no foreign potential. Witht the exceptions of Match Point and Midnight in Paris, he’s barely covered production costs. Talk about a subsidized operation.

Allen, of course, is an atheistic liberal who hates Republicans.

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Well contrasted. Never hurts to have a long-time relationship with a stable financing/distribution entity to see you over the rough patches, personal and professional, as Eastwood has enjoyed with one of the majors, Warner Brothers. United Artists and Orion were, at best, boutique distribution entities (well, UA had a long and honorable history until the debacle that was Heaven’s Gate) for which Allen’s boutique productions were well-suited. And he had a great run while they lasted.

Allen never aimed for “mainstream” audiences or distribution as Eastwood did, as you note. I hadn’t thought of it in that way, since I haven’t paid much attention to Allen for along time (other than Midnight in Paris) but “subsidized” is probably exactly the right description of his relationship with whomever’s distributing him now. They keep him on for his art-house cachet.

Are you in the industry? (And have I asked you that before? You’re probably the only other poster here who’s obviously seen Confidential Report.)

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Not in the industry, but a Tarantino-level film geek. Big Welles fan since about age 10; I used to post quite a lot over at Wellesnet under a different moniker. I enjoy chatting with you about films here when the occasion arises. Since the old Libertas site folded up and Dirty Harry’s place shut down, there’s not much opportunity to discuss film with fellow conservatives, especially ones that know what they are talking about. I don’t much care for Breitbart’s Big Hollywood site, despite John Nolte’s insightful input.

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Likewise enjoy the exchanges. And would enjoy catching up on your Welles posts, Touch of Evil still being among my Top 5 Faves. Let me know if you do find a conservative chat corner for cineastes and I’ll make the effort to join you. Or we could petition Ed to restart his film review post.

Beyond film, your purely political posts are always astute and I look for them.

Eastwood was kinda fun tonight, wasn’t he?

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Eastwood personifies certain timeless values, or at least certain bedrock American values that have remained fairly prevalent in the culture despite the ebb and flow of fashion. Every time his career seemed to be petering out, he would find a way to reinvigorate and redramatize those values (Dirty Harry, Unforgiven, Space Cowboys (!), Gran Torino) and rocket to the top once again.

Woody Allen was, in many ways, the 70′s, or at least one of its major cultural figures, and that fact was reflected in his box office grosses. People forget that up to and including Manhattan, in 1979, Allen was a hit maker. Then came the 80′s. The Mia Farrow years produced some great pics (Zelig, Broadway Danny Rose, Crimes and Misdemeanors), but except for Hannah and Her Sisters, which hit $85,000,000, most of those pics came in at $20-30 million, and some, like September and Another Woman, were horrible bombs. Woody was no longer relevant, and after he lost Farrow he seems to have lost his talent as well. Everything after, without exception (yes, Match Point and Midnight in Paris s*cked IMHO) has been dreary, pointless, and sad.

You can’t satirize a culture you no longer understand, and Allen was always oppositional. Eastwood always had something to offer, even at his bleakest, and so here he is today.

Mr. Arkadin on August 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

de rigueur on August 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Sorry, I’m at work at got called away. Now it’s time to go home and watch Clint. I look forward to reading your next posts as always.

Ed really should do more of the movie posts. He’s good at them, and they throw a little spice into the political stew here at Hot Air.

Mr. Arkadin on August 31, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Mr. Arkadin on August 31, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Turns out, Clint gave everyone a lot to post about. Watching for yours.

Ditto the movie posts, Ed.

de rigueur on August 31, 2012 at 7:45 PM