Democrats walking into “war on women” trap of their own making

posted at 12:01 pm on August 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Do Democrats still plan to feature a “war on women” theme at their convention?  If they do, I argue in my column today for The Fiscal Times, they may well find themselves hoist with their own petard, after a week of watching accomplished Republican women speaking from the dais in Tampa.  Not only does the emphasis entirely miss the issues about which voters care most in this electoral cycle, the entire argument diminishes women to, well, to exactly what Code Pink reduced them in protests at the GOP convention:

The message from the Obama campaign and Democrats in general seems to be that women are somehow incapable of finding birth control on their own unless some paternal entity dispenses it to them, despite all evidence to the contrary.  They’re so incapable of this task that employers and schools have to hand it for them, no matter how much income they derive nor how much tuition they manage to pay otherwise.  This has already backfired during Team Obama’s “Life of Julia” campaign, which offered a creepy, solitary vision of a woman’s life approaching that of the song “Eleanor Rigby.”  Former CNN news anchor Campbell Brown wrote in The New York Times  that “Julia” was “a silly and embarrassing caricature based on the assumption that women look to government at every meaningful phase of their lives for help.”

But it’s even worse than that.  The strategy segregates women from other issues as if they only have deep concern in this election over the status of their genitalia.  This theme came to ludicrous fruition in demonstrations by Code Pink at the Republican convention in Tampa, when activists showed up dressed as gigantic labia.  The scene provided an unintentionally revealing portrait of just how progressives see women in modern American society.

That is the true risk for Democrats who pursue this strategy.  After three nights of watching successful and accomplished women in the Republican Party discuss economic policy, job creation, and reform of the federal government for deficit and debt reduction, viewers will tune in the following week to see women considered as interested in little more than sexual reproduction.  Voters might well conclude that there is a “war on women,” but that it’s not the Republicans who are waging it.

Here’s a case in point — the HHS contraception mandate that Democrats will be hailing as liberation for women in the workplace and in universities.  Sandra Fluke is already scheduled to deliver a major speech at the convention on this topic.  But contraception isn’t difficult to find, nor is it expensive to purchase on an individual basis.  Almost six months ago, US News researched the individual cost of contraception for all of the options — and found that nearly all of them fell between $150 and $600 per year.  Sterilization costs more up front ($4,000-$6,000), but over a 20-year period, the costs are at the lower end of the same range.  (In my column, I note that oral contraception can cost as little as $9 per month.) That’s probably why the CDC discovered in its 20-year study that 99% of all women who wanted to avoid pregnancy while being sexually active accessed birth control on their own, and that lack of access didn’t even figure in the reasons for unintended pregnancies.  For those who qualify for Medicaid, the federal government already subsidizes contraception through Title X, and has for nearly 40 years.

Democrats argue with their “war on women” strategy that modern women in the workforce can’t figure this out on their own, nor pay for it without the paternalistic mandate that employers and educators foot the bill.  Is that a winning argument?  I guess we’ll soon see, because this is the contrast that will take place during next week’s convention.  Republicans will have presented women as strong, independent, and focused on issues like economics, jobs, national security, education, and fiscal discipline.  Democrats will have presented a vision of women like this, solely focused on one thing:

Which approach actually respects women?  Voters will get the chance to make that choice, and Democrats might be surprised at the answer.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

F()ck those c()unts…

Pest on August 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

So then we can reach into the giant vajayjays and abort whatever we find? I’m not totally against that.

Ronnie on August 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Such victimization…poor conservatives. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, and CNN are all picking on us…but Fox is okay. You guys whining about the media is HIGH-larious.

StoneKrab on August 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

You do know that this is how your doctor keeps finding out when you quit taking your meds, right?

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Those women…those costumes..yikes! Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand cold showers.

GreenBlade on August 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I think so too Ted… it was fun while it lasted!!!

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

That’s what she said.

Solaratov on August 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

In all honesty, if you dress up in a giant v@gina costume to make a political point, personally I don’t think you should be allowed to vote.

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Well if I go to Charlotte, dress up in a giant pen!s costume and go chase the vaggies around for the cameras, do I get to vote twice?

Harbingeing on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Dressing like that just shows they are just a bunch of pu$$ies pandering to the ones they see as weak and look to the government for every aspect of their life. If you need the government for everything, it may be time to evaluate your own self worth and ask yourself what JFK pounded home, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. I guess next week, some folks will show up as a bunch of dix at the DNC. The liberals do not care about women, only their vote and maybe the ones in a blue dress that like cigars and can wear knee pads and make liberals happy.

j bo on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

SO much for “penis mightier than the sword.”

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

do I get to vote twice?

Harbingeing on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Jailed, or committed at the very least. But take a friend to tape it.

cozmo on August 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Just popped back and WOW!! I haven’t… my sides hurt!!!

lorien1973 on August 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

You rock!!

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

If I was down there, I’d walk up to these liblets and ask, “Which way is it to the GOP convention? I have a date with Ann Coulter and I’m here to pick her up. We’re going for lunch, then to protest a Planned Parenthood office.”

Just to watch their heads explode.

Liam on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Oh…I see what you did there. See now that’s funny because saying that I quit taking meds is implying that I need medication. Conservative humor, a joke within a joke, it’s “Conservaception”.

StoneKrab on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Harbingeing on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

No. You lose your vote on the grounds of incredibly bad taste.

Solaratov on August 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

So much for “pen!s mightier”

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Harbingeing on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

They would likely tell you to stick it.

Liam on August 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Harbingeing on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

They would likely tell you to stick it.

Liam on August 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Yes…. But would they LET HIM????

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Yeah, because nothing says respect me like wearing a gigantic vagina.

Are they actually saying that’s all their good for?

Speakup on August 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

So much for “pen!s mightier”

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

:) No fair. Who knew there were giant vag!nas?

No, I mean huge vag!nas.

Wait –

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

It has been hilarious and riotous!! Catch ya’ll later peeps!

So much fun packed into one morning!!

Take care everyone and God Bless!!

Scrumpy on August 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

The Republican War on giant vajajays?

morbius on August 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Now I finally get it. What they really want is for other folks to fund their labiaplasty, which given the appearance in the picture above, would be more than the GDP of most third-world nations.

morbius on August 30, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Even my screaming lib friend was embarrassed by this.
I ended all protests now with a reminder.
“They protested dressed as vaginas.”

This has been reduced to a one-word close.
“vaginas”.

She just shakes her head and
almost laughs about it.

PaleoRider on August 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Republicans should take the opportunity to declare that they are the party of Life and Liberty, while the Dems are the party of Death and Decline.

Iblis on August 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM

What are those women in the picture queefing about?

BarefootinTN on August 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM

“Vaggie Tales”?

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I’m not as sure Ed, that with our degenerate culture, most women (including GOP women)might just prefer the degeneracy of the left, to the dignity of the conservative middle class woman, one who still holds to family values. (That fiscal conservative /social liberal contradiction.)

I suspect that we become naive and flawed when we view the battle as easy when we only read our own assessments, and view things through conservative glasses.

Free lunches, hedonism, sloth, sexual perversion, justified victimization, guilt free slaughter of offspring as a convenience, healthcare by the government, endless money, feel good excuses for doing evil, (it’s for the children) etc. direct attacks on religion and God, are powerful weapons, many of which the GOP refuses to engage the enemy on, and thus it is foolishly willing to stand as accused with the social issues, lest it risk losing degeneracy loving voters.

This has taken its toll.

Why else would this thing be so close?

Don L on August 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM

The funny thing is that the Progressives who have taken over the Democratic Party are so insular…soooo tone-deaf and arrogant…that they actually believe that turning their convention into an “Up With Abortions!” bananza is shrewd political theater. They’ve completely bought into an illusion – i.e., that the election of Barack Obama in 2008 signaled that the American public had finally gulped down their statist Kool-Aid, when in fact, what the evidence actually shows is just how much the US news media was able to carry water for and cover up the shortcomings of the charlatan. My prediction is that American public will be repulsed by the proceedings and that you’ll see his numbers actually drop after Abortapalooza is over.

This time around, the lies and propaganda and spin aren’t working, as the latest Gallup poll indicates. This time, he’s not a blank slate upon which the US news media can project messianic nonsense about “Lightbringers” and “God”. This time the Emperor has no clothes – only four years of 8% unemployment, $6 trillion in debt, ObamaCare, and vile class warfare meant to demonize Americans who dare to disagree with him.

This time, all of O’s apologists and all of O’s sycophants won’t be able to put the Lightbringer together again.

rvastar on August 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Harbingeing on August 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

They would likely tell you to stick it.

Liam on August 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Yes…. But would they LET HIM????

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Yes, because these women don’t seem to think saying, “NO,” is a choice they can make.

idalily on August 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM

You know, every day I fight the idea that women are only valuable for their reproductive parts, that our political opinions are the result of hysteria and not reason, and that our issues exist in a “women’s issues” ghetto.

Then that all gets undermined when some attention-seeking strumpet shows up in a pink vagina to demagogue for free birth control and abortions.

These honeys are doing more to harm the station of women than the most brutal of patriarchal politicians every could. Ugh.

Roxeanne de Luca on August 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Let’s not forget who first started waging this war:

George Stephanopoulos. During the ABC hosted primary debate in early February.

And while these charges are debatable, most everyone agrees that the moment where Stephanopoulos suddenly shifted the topic from job creation to hypothetical questions involving whether the states have a right to ban contraception was…odd (to say the least).

“Governor Romney, do you believe that states have the right to ban contraception? Or is that trumped by a constitutional right to privacy?” Stephanopoulos asked the slightly bewildered-looking former Massachusetts governor.

“George, this is an unusual topic that you’re raising,” Romney responded, “Do states have a right to ban contraception? I can’t imagine a state banning contraception. I can’t imagine the circumstances where a state would want to do so…Given that there’s no state that wants to do so, and I don’t know of any candidate that wants to do so, you’re asking could it constitutionally be done? We could ask our Constitutionalist here,” Romney said, gesturing toward Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX).

Stephanopoulos persisted.

“Do you believe states have that right or not?” he asked Romney.

“George, I don’t know if the state has a right to ban contraception, no state wants to! The idea of you putting forward things that states might want to do, that no state wants to do, and then asking me whether they can do it or not is kind of a silly thing,” Romney responded, much to the crowd’s delight.

John the Libertarian on August 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Don L on August 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I think you’re right.

pannw on August 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Boy oh boy is the lib media ever going to be gunning for Mitt in the debates. It’s going to be wall-to-wall va-jay-jay questions.

Rational Thought on August 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

It’s actually comical that these grown women don’t find it demeaning in itself by dressing up in these vagina costumes…

stacman on August 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

First question in the debate:

“Governor Romney, if you win the election, will you prohibit women from dressing up in vagina costumes?”

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

First question in the debate:

“Governor Romney, if you win the election, will you prohibit women from dressing up in vagina/labia costumes?”

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

If I weren’t going to vote for him already, such a prohibition would get my vote.

Could rational people possibly think that dressing up like this would attract positive attention to their message?

talkingpoints on August 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

These are adults?

kingsjester on August 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Over here we have the Republicans represented by Condi Rice and Susana Martinez.

And over there we have the Democrats represented by Code Pink loons in vagina costumes.

Anyone still undecided?

justltl on August 30, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Roxeanne de Luca on August 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Preach it.

I knew the feminists were messed up when they were all willing to go down on their knees and give Monica Lewinskies to Bill Clinton because he supported abortion rights.

Democrats, the left and liberals are all about the objectification and sexualization of women. When they look at women, all they see are lady parts. They apparently don’t see human beings with brains, emotions, thoughts, feelings, dreams and goals. If liberal women weren’t mostly unattractive, liberal men would be in heaven at the thought of all that meat running around just waiting to be taken advantage of.

theotherone on August 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Be funny to see a herd of cops chase them through the streets with wagging, raised phallic truncheons… just for some symbolic guerrilla theater.

Respect our crocheted Mounds of Venuses you pigs!”

profitsbeard on August 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Guess that bad acid they did at Woodstock is still affecting their brains.

Ygritte on August 31, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Someone should have had a 6 foot cigar to greet one one of those vaginas. The visual would have put a quick end to that nonsense.

PC14 on August 31, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Why is it that all of those vagin.a’s are pink? Why aren’t any of them black or brown or yellow or olive?

SWalker on August 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Maybe someone already mentioned this here.
But I’m surprised you don’t know this.
They’re all pink inside.
Only the outside coating is flavored.

Badger40 on August 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM

The giant dicks couldn’t make it; they’re pumping themselves up in Charlotte.

claudius on August 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I heard Sandra Fluke joined in and everyone was shocked to find out she wasn’t actually wearing a costume.

The Rogue Tomato on August 31, 2012 at 9:35 AM

LOL @ Badger40 and The Rogue Tomato!!!

ladyingray on August 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Dear Democrats,

How dare you turn me into the second class citizen promoted by Islam? I am more than my uterus or personal parts. How dare you devolve the years of worked and learned and lived into a body part that is endlessly fascinating to only the perverted and pimps.

What utter stupidity. Nancy Pelosie? You fools do know that she is, even to the low-information voter, the Wicked Witch of the West. San Francisco arrogance encapsulated. Mrs. you’ve got to pass the bill to know what’s in the bill Pelosi and her mad-hatter friends.

I’m a woman, Code Pink. You’re insulting, demeaning, violent, disrespectful advocates for totalitarianism. I come from pioneer stock. We birthed our babies and got up the next day to plow the fields. No prissy, spoiled, a-moral piece of filth represents me or my mother or my grandmothers or my great grandmothers.

Portia46 on August 31, 2012 at 10:44 AM

the woman on the left … has decorated her life-jacket … with rhinestones.

Just mentioning.

Axe on August 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM

It’s the newest craze: vajazzling. I kid you not.

totherightofthem on August 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Are those giant lady parts, or just Chuck Todd.

texasgoat on August 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Respect is something that must be EARNED, you spread-legged skanks. If respect were money you wouldn’t be able to buy lunch from the dollar menu at Burger King.

MelonCollie on August 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Ed:

It’s “hoist BY your own petard.”

SWLiP on August 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Actually, according to Shakespeare, who originated the phrase, it is ‘hoist with his own petard’.

“Hamlet:
There’s letters seal’d, and my two schoolfellows,
Whom I will trust as I will adders fang’d—
They bear the mandate, they must sweep my way
And marshal me to knavery. Let it work;
For ’tis the sport to have the enginer
Hoist with his own petard, an’t shall go hard
But I will delve one yard below their mines
And blow them at the moon.

Hamlet Act 3, scene 4, 202–209″

Siddhartha Vicious on September 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Well, I now see that I should have scrolled down a bit before adding my 2 cents, as Ed is fully capable of defending himself.

Siddhartha Vicious on September 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM