Video: Ted Cruz tells the story of America

posted at 11:21 am on August 29, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

There were so many great speeches and moments at the convention last night that we couldn’t get to them all. One of the speakers will be no stranger to grassroots activists in conservative circles… Ted Cruz, the man who will almost certainly be the next Senator from Texas. But for all the fame and following that Cruz earned over the last two years among conservative activists, for the rest of the country who don’t obsess over politics 24/7 they may have gotten their first chance to take the measure of the man. And without a doubt Ted Cruz seized the opportunity and delivered.

The video and transcript follow, but Cruz really captured the crowd, taking the opportunity to tell the story of what’s best about America. And interwoven with that, he shared his own story and that of his family as well. He told tales of his father’s escape from Cuba and working his way up from being poorer than dirt to being a success in business. He spoke of the lessons he learned from that story and how it shaped his own life, just as it did for so many other Americans.

And Cruz was well rewarded for his efforts. He pretty much brought the house down. If any voters across the country were getting their first look at Cruz yesterday, they got an eyeful. And it was probably hard to come away from it unimpressed.

Good evening. I have the honor of standing before you this evening for one reason, because thousands upon thousands of grassroots activists stood united, not for a candidate, but for the sake of restoring liberty. Accountability, quite rightly, rests firmly in the hands of “We the People.”

Since 2010, something extraordinary has been happening, something that has dumbfounded the chattering class.

It began here in Florida in 2010. In Utah, Kentucky, Pennsylvania.

Was repeated this summer in Indiana. Nebraska. Wisconsin.

And this past month, in the Lone Star State, Texas.

What is happening all across America is a Great Awakening.

A response to career politicians in both parties who’ve gotten us into this mess.

This national movement is fueled by what unites us: a love of liberty, a belief in the unlimited potential of free men and women.

I want to tell you a love story. It’s the story of all of us, a love story of freedom.

It’s the story of our Founding Fathers, who fought and bled for freedom and then crafted the most miraculous political document ever conceived, our Constitution. The Framers understood that our rights come, not from monarchs, but from God-and that those rights are secure only when government power is restrained.

This love story is the story of the brave Texans in the City of Gonzales. When General Santa Anna demanded that they give up their guns and the cannon that guarded the city, they responded with the immortal cry “Come and take it.”

It’s the story of the greatest generation of Americans, who rose up to confront the grotesque evil that was the Nazis, and ushered in the greatest era of peace and prosperity the world has ever seen.

It’s the story of civil-rights heroes, like Dr. Martin Luther King, who stood strong against the scourge of discrimination, and bravely championed that every man and woman should be judged, not by the color of our skin, but by the content of our character.

It’s the story of President Ronald Reagan, who turned back the creeping growth of government and restored Morning in America. Who spoke out against the oppressive evil of communism and demanded “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.”

It’s the story of my Mom. Irish and Italian, working class, the first in her family to go to college – a pioneering mathematician and computer programmer in the 1950s.

It’s the story of my Dad, who was imprisoned and tortured in Cuba, beaten nearly to death. He fled to Texas in 1957, not speaking English, with $100 sewn into his underwear. He washed dishes making 50 cents an hour to pay his way through the University of Texas, and to start a small business in the oil and gas industry.

My father is here tonight. When he came to America, él no tenía nada, pero tenía corazón. He had nothing, but he had heart. A heart for freedom. Thank you, Dad.

It’s the story of each and every one of you. We are all sons and daughters of those who risked everything for freedom, and we have the duty to pass that same opportunity to the generations to follow.

And yet today, many in Washington seem content to saddle our children with a financial debt larger than our nation has ever seen.

Government is out of control, and we’re going broke.

But I’m here with a word of encouragement. Millions of Americans are standing up, saying we want our country back. Republicans, Democrats, and independents. We will not follow the path of Greece; we will not go quietly into the night.

This election presents a stark choice. Two visions: we can continue down the road of the Obama Democrats, towards more and more spending, debt and government control of the economy and our lives. Or we can return to the founding principles of our nation-free markets, fiscal responsibility, and individual liberty.

Unfortunately, President Obama’s campaign is going to try to divide America. They’re going to try to separate us into little groups, and try to scare everybody. They’re going to tell seniors that Medicare will be taken away, tell Hispanics that we’re not welcome here and send the Vice President to preach a message of division.

It’s sad, how far we’ve come from hope and change.

All of this is designed to distract from the real issues that matter. Twenty-three million Americans struggling for work. Sixteen trillion dollars in national debt. Government takeovers of healthcare, of financial services and many aspects of our economy.

Imagine, for a moment, if someone surreptitiously charged hundreds of thousands of dollars on your credit cards, saddling your kids with debts they could never escape.

That’s exactly the impact of this administration’s misguided policies. Heidi and I are blessed with two little girls, Caroline and Catherine, 4 and 1. When Caroline was born, our national debt was $10 trillion. Today, as the debt clock shows, it’s $16 trillion, larger than our gross domestic product.

How do we turn things around? How do we get America back to work? President Obama thinks the answer is more and more government.

Government is not the answer. You are not doing anyone a favor by creating dependency, destroying individual responsibility.

Fifty-five years ago, when my dad was a penniless teenage immigrant, thank God some well-meaning bureaucrat didn’t put his arm around him and say let me take care of you. Let me give you a government check and make you dependent on government. And by the way, don’t bother learning English. That would have been the most destructive thing anyone could have done.

Instead, my parents worked together to start a small business, to provide for their family and to chart their own future. That’s the American dream, and Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan understand that.

Under President Obama, 23 million Americans are struggling for work. Hispanic unemployment has risen to over 10 percent; African-American unemployment is over 14 percent. This is tragic.

And here I want to say something especially to the Democrats who are listening tonight. You can send a wake-up message to your party-the party that was once proud to be the party of working people. Obama’s policies have failed.

Jobs don’t come from government; they come from entrepreneurs and small businesses. Two thirds of all new jobs come from small business, and 2.3 million Hispanics own small businesses and yet this Administration has imposed higher taxes and crushing regulations on small businesses across our nation.

To restore America, to get Americans back to work, we must rein in the leviathan. We must stop spending money we don’t have and turn around our crushing debt.

Each of you comprises the fabric of our nation. Together, we must revive our many-century love story with liberty and restore that shining City on a Hill that is America.

I’d like to close with asking you a few questions, with apologies to Barack Obama.

Can we restore the Constitution?

Yes we can.

Can we retake the U.S. Senate?

Can we repeal ObamaCare?

And can we defeat President Barack Obama?

That, my friends, is change we can believe in.

Thank you, and God bless America.

Comments

If I wasn’t already married to a great conservative Latino I’d be in love. Cruz was just excellent last night. I also liked his delivery–like he was a motivational speaker, not behind a podium. Classy.

pianomomma on August 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM

awesome! any guy with the initials “ted c” has gotta be good./

ted c on August 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Ted Cruz was one of those people air brushed out of the historical record last night by the Fifth Column Treasonous Media… The Media didn’t show him,so he was never there…

The Fifth Column Treasonous Media air brushes Minorities out of the Republican National Convention.

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Interesting. If I am not mistaken the bureaucrats were busy in Cuba right around that time…what was it…don’t tell me….I think we almost got in to a nuclear war…pretty sure Bain capital secretly funded the whole thing…

tommyhawk on August 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I am so proud of Ted and our home will vote for him in Nov. as we did in the primary!
L

letget on August 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Funny, it wasn’t on MSNBC

J_Crater on August 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Ted Cruz, whom I voted for, makes Mittens look like freakin Carter. But the establishment GOP did everythIng they could to try and elect his “republican” opponent Dewhearst.

Romney is no conservative, you supporters are simply fooling yourselves if U believe Rombama is going to restore the US Constitution, secure the border, balance the budget, support individual liberty, or repeal OBAMAcare.

MoreLiberty on August 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Yes, we can.

BetseyRoss on August 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Ted Cruz rocked my world. Amazing speaker and I don’t think he even used a teleprompter!

Even my dear, slightly liberal, husband was impressed!

CommonSensical on August 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Totus wants to know “Where was the Teleprompter?”

dirtseller on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Ted Cruz: A man on a mission, a man going places.

WordsMatter on August 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM

tommyhawk on August 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Sweet post, dude. You’ve got us on the run now.

Chuck Schick on August 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Funny, it wasn’t on MSNBC

J_Crater on August 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM

…or CNN, at least when I checked.

AubieJon on August 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM

See, now that’s why Texas voted for Cruz! Could Dewhurst have given a speech like that? (and really meant it?)

AndStatistics on August 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Let Cruz go to Washington and build up his cred. Let’s see what his future holds.

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The Apache and others have had some problems.

This Apache and his wife spent hundreds of hours and lots of $ to help Ted Cruz get elected. Got in on the ground floor
you could say.

This is the real deal.

He knows right from wrong and will not fall into the two party evil money cults grasp.

They know that and the elites will resist him and those who follow.

But follow we will.

Odd how things converge.
Wife of mine happened to be near a card game way back at University of Texas, Austin. Guy there was loosing, needed cash, he had a special made varmit rifle (Finish) and she bought it cheap.

Guy was the Cuban dictator Bitistas son.

Once Ted gets sworn in we are going to give it to Ted’s dad.

Pay attention to Ted Cruz America he will lead you out of this two party evil money cults control and back into the light of freedom and liberty.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM

…Texas did well!

KOOLAID2 on August 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM

tommyhawk on August 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

You actually have nothing. You wait for a topic, blather, and then hide until the next topic is posted. Pathetic. You posted a racist slur in the Artur Davis thread, you did pretty much the same on the Juan Williams thread with some sexist crap tossed in, and now here you are. You’ll hide away now until the next thread.

We need better trolls, Ed.

AubieJon on August 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Well done Walk.

hillsoftx on August 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM

tommyhawk on August 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I realize you’re only being paid minimum wage to post here but could you at least try?

StompUDead on August 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I like TC and the speech, but I don’t like it when speakers come out front like they’re delivering a late night TV monolog.

Get a podium!

Labamigo on August 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Uh oh, I think he…uh…you know…um…means it.

Oh sh*t!

/RINO Hive-Mind

CorporatePiggy on August 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Having done a little studying into various religious beliefs, and then understanding that, inspite of any kind of religous foundation in anyones life, anyone can lie, it’s human nature…I do however believe that Mitt will do his uttmost to keep true to his word! I base this solely on his choice of his religion…

How many times have politicians lied to us eh? Too many to count.

At some point in time one has to have some faith and belief in that a mans’ word is his bond!

Some of you may call me disillusioned, I don’t care what anyone thinks, but think on this, we have to have faith and hope that Mitt can and will make a difference!

Otherwise the alternative is this, a total disbelief in anything anyone one politician ever says!

Who do we believe in to take this country forward?

Do we trust Obama to actually do what he said he would? Other than what we see him doing?

Do we trust Mitt to actually do what he says he will? Or is he just another politician talking the talk?

I put my money on Mitt… I have no alternative…

If he is elected, and after the 1st year has shown me that he lied, I shall forever disengage myself from anything to do with politics.

Far too many lying liars say what they ‘think’ the american people want to hear, and every election cycle, we all fall for it…time and time again…this go round will be the last time for me.

Scrumpy on August 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM

So where’s the clip of that slug Brit Hume calling Sarah Palin a Zealot?
Hilarious for him to cast stones while sitting next to his girl friend Megan Kelly.

AmeriCuda on August 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM

He’s another good one. With folks like Ryan, Rubio, Christie, Jindal, Martinez and a host of others, the GOP has a lot of younger talent to go forward with. Sure, they’ve got no shortage of kooks too, but the cream will rise to the top over time and I think that Cruz is one to keep an eye on.

MJBrutus on August 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I liked Cruz, but in the way of constructive criticism, his speech was only interesting when he was talking about his personal story. He’s telling us too many things we already know and not enough that we don’t. He needs to freshen it up, update the message, give us a new perspective.
Oh… and NEVER get caught waiting for applause. It looks needy.

Murf76 on August 29, 2012 at 12:03 PM

It was not so long ago that the RINOs, the progs, and the media were predicting a Cruz loss, expecting to use it as an example of the end of the influence of the Tea Party, and of Gov. Palin. They were convinced that her endorsement has no value, and that the “approved” establishment choice of Dewhurst was a lock.

Please, please let those people continue to imagine in their wishful thinking, that the rise of Real Americans in defense of our Constitutional form of government is waning.

Their shock and surprise will be as those who ignore a warning to evacuate from a hurricane, and get clobbered by the surge.

Freelancer on August 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Good speech by Cruz.

workingclass artist on August 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

My pride in seeing a fellow Alberta-born address the RNC is tempered by the fact he was born in Calgary.

Go flames go… and take the Stampeders with you!

(It’s a hockey thing)

Alberta_Patriot on August 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

That is unbelievable. I never would have known that since I watched Cspan and then Fox afterwards.

I read most of the article on the site you linked to. I don’t know of any way to counter this other than FB or Twitter.

Since I don’t watch the racist networks, I wonder if the other ones did the same thing.

Thanks for posting this.

P.S. Rush is covering some info & stats on this.

bluefox on August 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

AmeriCuda on August 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Cruz thread.
Stay on topic.
God Bless Texas.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Ted’s dad has been representing him here in Dallas at our GOP meetings. He is an electrifying speaker! I wish the national GOP could use him in some way.

mrsmwp on August 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Sweet post, dude. You’ve got us on the run now.

Chuck Schick on August 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I think they get paid on volume, not content.

BigWyo on August 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Hey ALT. You’ve probably already heard about this near the Lubbock airport. Say No To Obama.

mrsmwp on August 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

mrsmwp on August 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

She was still in Chicago when that happened.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 12:34 PM

mrsmwp on August 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Ignore Cozmo. I’ve heard. Looks to be east of the airport.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Stay on topic.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Ignore Cozmo.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

So vicious, Are you taking Minnisoter’s palce as topic monitor?

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM

“Build up his cred?” Evidently you haven’t research is career. He has more cred right now than some Senators holding office.

I researched his background and posted several times before he won the race between himself and Dewhurst.

He’s on of the very few that I’ve donated to, so there is that.

Ted Cruz is U.S. Supreme Court material!! Read up on him.

bluefox on August 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Good grief, I can’t type. s/b “researched his” career. And s/b “one” Don’t like the keys on the laptop I’m using!

bluefox on August 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

MoreLiberty on August 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The kickback will be fierce after Mitt loses in November.

If we do not get control of the Senate because Akin loses even worse.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You’re just p.o.’d that I beat you to it. *evil laugh*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Yep, that’s me.

The kickback will be fierce after Mitt loses in November.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Bless your heart, it sure will.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Yep, that’s me.

The kickback will be fierce after Mitt loses in November.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I will be so glad when you Mitbots go back to Democrat Underground after Mitt loses. Or back under whatever rock you crawled out from under.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I’d rather be a ‘Mittbot’-which I’m not btw-than an Obama supporter…which you’ve admitted to being.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Or back under whatever rock you crawled out from under.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Oh honey, don’t despair. You may still get that brain…someday.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

bluefox on August 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I am familiar with his resume, Supreme Court appearances and records. But he has not yet cast a vote, introduce and pass any legislation as a US Senator, and show how effective he will be as a leader and a force in the Senate.

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Yeah. I’m so glad I can vote for that guy, what’s his name, you know, the one who isn’t out there trying to get votes and sell his platform. Who is that again? Darn. Well, you know, the guy who might be lucky to clear 1% of the vote.

Sorry. Have to go track down that guy’s name because, well, he just isn’t out there trying to sell his platform and yet I’m still to vote for him.

Laters!

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I was very partial to his Gonzalez flag reference seeing as how we have one hanging in our house! Gotta love, “Come and Take It”!!

txmomof6 on August 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

txmomof6 on August 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Never could find a place to put one of those flags, so I got a cannon instead.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM

You guys think you are funny?

Truth is I will remain here long after the RINO’s have returned to the DNC where they are far more comfortable.

We have a choice between Mitt the Democrat or Obama the Democrat. I choose neither. But yes Mitt is by far the bigger POS. At least Obama occasionally tells the truth. Obama understands that he is a Marxist and is as open about it as possible. Romney lives in a fantasy world where he deludes himself into believing that Communism will solve all of Americas problems. Obama is under no such delusion. He knows full well that he will have to commit genocide against 25% of Americans if he is successful.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

bluefox on August 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Oh, ok. I didn’t get that from your comment:-) Well, I’m sure he has no intention of changing. He will be treated in the Senate as other Conservatives are treated. The good old boys club (RINOS)will not welcome him at all. So he will have to work with the DeMints and others of like minded.

Now if the R’s take the Senate & are able to change Majority Leader McConnell and keep the House and we elect a new Speaker, then I think Cruz will have a better chance. Either way, he will make a difference!!

bluefox on August 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

You guys think you are funny?

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Not quite. We think you are funny and come here for the entertainment you provide.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM
LOL!! Ours is in our son’s room. We encouraged him to take it to Colorado State with him, but he thought it might be a little too confrontational for a freshman dorm.

txmomof6 on August 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

bluefox on August 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I do hope he will become a mover and shaker and a leader for change.

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I do hope he will become a mover and shaker and a leader for change.

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM

No doubt he will. The RINOs are going to find him an impossible nut to crack.

He will not be AKINized.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM

You guys think you are funny?

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM

How come no one will help me out? I’m apparently supposed to vote for some no name who isn’t out there presenting his platform and urging voters to vote for him. What’s his name?? How am I to know who he is? My vote might help him to get to 1%. What are his policies.

HELP ME!!!!!

PS: Romney sux.

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Laters!

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Are you talking about Governor Gary Johnson, the Libertarian nominee?

He is out there trying to sell his platform. The problem is that the Republicans and Democrats refuse to debate the Libertarian which will always leave the Libertarian at a disadvantage.

Theophile on August 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM

HELP ME!!!!!

PS: Romney sux.

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I will vote for all kinds of Republicans.

Just will leave President blank.

Not that it will really matter. Mitt will lose so this election has already been decided. Hopefully it will install some equipment in weak Republicans so they will stand up and stop Obama like they have been able to since 2010.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I can’t wait until Mittens has to push for a debt ceiling increase. I’m gonna love watching you Mittbots squirm
and try to defend his liberal a$$.

MoreLiberty on August 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I will vote for all kinds of Republicans.

Just will leave President blank.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Mark my words; Mitt will win. :) :) :)

Theophile on August 29, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Ted Cruz is such a statesman in the making.

Love him!

Thanks Sarah and the my Texan people for helping him.

I don’t care about the rest of the RNC flopping show of Mittens.

Too bad for Ron Paul. He and his followers should have stayed away from that mock convention.

TheAlamos on August 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Mark my words; Mitt will win. :) :) :)

Theophile on August 29, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Considering the lack of statesmanship by both parties, politics in the 21st Century is nothing but a “blame game”.

If Mittens wins, then we will surely have a Lite Obama and a Bushite at the same time. If not, then America will continue its adoration to O-B-A-M-A-O. So what’s new in those two scenarios? Nada.

“My Romneycare … has benefitted many women.” – Romney

TheAlamos on August 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM

By the way, Cruz was on 660 KSKY with Mark Davis this morning and Cruz said that the RNC required that they approve his speech in advance…and then promptly gutted any criticism of Obama out of it.

Vigilante on August 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM

“My Romneycare … has benefitted many women.” – Romney

TheAlamos on August 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Then vote Libertarian. There is always an alternative. I haven’t decided between Republican or Libertarian myself this election.

Theophile on August 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM