Video: Santorum – “I shook the hand of America”

posted at 1:21 pm on August 29, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Rick Santorum’s speech at the RNC yesterday was panned in a few predictable places, but it was still well received. I’ll admit there were a few aspects of it which I found surprising. The first major section of it was essentially a rerun of his campaign stump speeches during the primary, focusing on the history of his family coming to America, his grandfathers, “big strong hands” and the importance of his family in his life. For a moment I thought he was still running for the nomination. He also chose the same type of path that Chris Christie took, going through about half of his remarks in the prepared release version before he even mentioned Mitt Romney and not invoking his name many times after that either.

He also swung the discussion back to social issues for portions of the presentation just when most of the speakers seemed to be focusing on Obama’s economic record. That’s really not surprising, though, nor any sort of error. That’s always been a large component of Santorum’s platform and it touches on many issues important to the base. The “hands” theme may have come across as a bit corny in the written form, but he delivered it well and expressed some sincere sentiments.

I held its hand. I shook the hand of the American Dream. And it has a strong grip.

I shook hands of farmers and ranchers who made America the bread basket of the world. Hands weathered and worn. And proud of it.

I grasped dirty hands with scars that come from years of labor in the oil and gas fields, mines and mills. Hands that power and build America and are stewards of the abundant resources that God has given us.

I gripped hands that work in restaurants and hotels, in hospitals, banks, and grocery stores. Hands that serve and care for all of us.

I clasped hands of men and women in uniform and their families. Hands that sacrifice and risk all to protect and keep us free. And hands that pray for their safe return home.

I held hands that are in want. Hands looking for the dignity of a good job, hands growing weary of not finding one but refusing to give up hope.

And finally, I cradled the little, broken hands of the disabled. Hands that struggle and bring pain, hands that ennoble us and bring great joy.

They came to see us – oh did they come — when they found out Karen and I are blessed with caring for someone very special too, our Bella.

All in all I thought it came off pretty well, particularly if you were watching it live. The video and the full transcript follow, so you can judge for yourself. (Note: Transcript is the “as prepared for delivery” version and differs in spots from the video.)

It’s an honor to be here tonight with the love of my life, Karen, my 93-year-old mother and some of our kids.

You think it’s crowded in here, good thing I didn’t bring all my kids.

I am a first-generation American.

At age seven, my dad came to Johnstown, Pennsylvania from the mountains of northern Italy, on a ship named Providence.

How providential that one day his son would announce for President just down the road from the deep mines where his father — my grandfather — mined coal ’til he was 72 years old.

When my grandfather died, I remember as a kid kneeling at his casket and not being able to take my eyes off his thick strong hands — hands that dug his path in life — and gave his family a chance — at living the American Dream.

Working the mines may not have been the dream he dreamed – I never dared to ask him – but I think his answer would have been that America gave him more than he had ever hoped.

America believed in him, that’s why he believed in America.

My grandfather, like millions of other immigrants, didn’t come here for some government guarantee of income equality or government benefits to take care of his family.

In 1923 there were no government benefits for immigrants except one: Freedom!

Under President Obama, the dream of freedom and opportunity has become a nightmare of dependency with almost half of America receiving some government benefit.

It is no surprise fewer and fewer Americans are achieving their dreams and more and more parents are concerned their children won’t realize theirs.

President Obama spent four years and borrowed five trillion dollars, trying to convince you that he could make things better for you —- to put your trust in him and the government to take care of every problem.

The result — massive debt, anemic growth and millions more unemployed. The President’s plan didn’t work for America, because that’s not how America works.

In America we believe in freedom and the responsibility that comes with it to work hard to make that dream of reaching our God-given potential come true.

We believe it because it still works.

Even today.

Graduate from high school, work hard, and get married before you have children and the chance you will ever be in poverty is just two percent.

Yet if you don’t do these three things you’re 38 times more likely to end up in poverty!

We understand many Americans don’t succeed because the family that should be there to guide them, and serve as the first rung on the ladder of success, isn’t there or is badly broken.

The fact is that marriage is disappearing in places where government dependency is highest. Most single mothers do heroic work and an amazing job raising their children, but if America is going to succeed, we must stop the assault on marriage and the family.

From lowering taxes to reforming social programs, Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are dedicated to restoring the home where married moms and dads are pillars of strong communities raising good citizens.

A solid education should be the second rung on the ladder to success, but the system is failing.

President Obama’s solution has been to deny parents choice, attack private schools and nationalize curriculum and student loans.

Mitt Romney believes that parents and the local community must be put in charge — not the Department of Education.

We all know there is one key to success that has helped people overcome even the greatest of obstacles – hard work. That’s why work was the centerpiece of the bipartisan welfare reform law.

Requiring work as a condition for receiving welfare succeeded — and not just because the welfare rolls were cut in half — but because employment went way up, poverty went down and dreams were realized.

It’s a sturdy ladder to success that is built with healthy families, education and hard work.

But President Obama’s policies undermine the traditional family, weaken the education system.

And this summer he showed us once again he believes in government handouts and dependency by waiving the work requirement for welfare.

I helped write welfare reform; we made the law crystal clear – no president can waive the work requirement. But as with his refusal to enforce our immigration laws, President Obama rules like he is above the law.

America take heed, when a president can simply give a speech or write a memo and change the law to do what the law says he can’t, we weaken our republic.

Yet as my family and I crisscrossed America, something became so obvious to us.

America is still the greatest country in the world – and with God’s help and good leadership we can restore the American Dream.

Why?

Four and a half years ago I stood over a hospital isolette staring at the tiny hands of our newborn daughter who we hoped was perfectly healthy. But Bella’s hands were just a little different – and I knew different wasn’t good news.

The doctors later told us Bella was incompatible with life and to prepare to let go. They said, even if she did survive, her disabilities would be so severe that Bella would not have a life worth living.

We didn’t let go and today Bella is full of life and she has made our lives and countless others much more worth living.

I thank God that America still has one party that reaches out their hands in love to lift up all of God’s children – born and unborn – and says that each of us has dignity and all of us have the right to live the American Dream.

And without you America is not keeping faith with that dream.

We are stewards of a great inheritance. In November we have a chance to vote for life and liberty, not dependency. A vote for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will put our country back in the hands of leaders who understand what America can and, for the sake of our children, must be to keep the dream alive.

Comments

Someone else mentioned this (sorry I cannot recall), but perhaps they are trying to introduce the R brand rather than the candidate. There will be plenty of time for that – still another couple of months and Romney will be opening up the war chest.

It might be a way to attempt to negate those memes that the democrats seem to want to tie to us.

It may work as a lot of people didn’t seem to care about “getting to know” Obama before voting for him. Obviously. The R brand right now could use a buff up.

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Santorum haters heads to explode in 3…2…1…

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Santorum haters heads to explode in 3…2…1…

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yeah I await the nasty comments his threads alway seem to generate.

melle1228 on August 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

One of the criticisms I make is to what I refer to as more of a libertarianish right. You know, the left has gone so far left and the right in some respects has gone so far right that they touch each other. They come around in the circle. This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.

Collectivist“conservative”.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Santorum haters heads to explode in 3…2…1…

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Not mine. He seems to be honestly trying to mend the primary rift. I wouldn’t mind him heading HHS if Jindal is busy in Louisiana.

Archivarix on August 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Uh, they, uh, kissed my, uh, feet.

- The Commie

OhEssYouCowboys on August 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

P.S. “Ass” would’ve worked, too.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Senator, if by “hand” you mean the peninsula of Florida, I have to disappoint you. Florida isnt exactly Americas hand, but rather Americas… well… . Oh boy, he wont like that at all…

Valkyriepundit on August 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Not Catholic and really like Santorum. He delivered a great speech last night. Very good night for the GOP.

DanMan on August 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

In November we have a chance to vote for life and liberty, not dependency.

You tell ‘em, Santy. They didn’t build that.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

All I could think as I watched that embarrassingly bad speech was how lucky we were Santorum didn’t win the nomination.

Let’s face it: the only reason he lasted as long as he did was because no one took him seriously enough to include him in the circular firing squad that took out the rest of Mitt’s competition.

DRayRaven on August 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

…good point!

KOOLAID2 on August 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Santorum did a great job last night.

Talon on August 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I wasn’t a Santorum supporter-but his speech last night gave me the chills, and brought tears to to my eyes.
Outstanding job.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM

OT: David Chalian was just fired by Yahoo News for his “black people drowning” remark. Keep fighting back, folks. We’re winning.

Doughboy on August 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Doughboy on August 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Awesome.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

It’s Richard Cranium ‘Moral Oral the Back Knifer’ Santorum.

I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. I know it will. You know it will, too.

FlatFoot on August 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Statist scumbag.

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

OT: Does anyone have knowledge of this?

WordsMatter on August 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

OWS party-crashers?

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Santorum haters heads to explode in 3…2…1…

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

FlatFoot on August 29, 2012 at 1:42 PM

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Didn’t take long.

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Doughboy on August 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM

*applause*

Yes. We are. Small steps and patience and sometimes we get rewarded. Like now. :)

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Haaaaands, touching hands…reaching out, touching me, touching youuuuu

Sweater Vest must have heard Penn State wasn’t using it anymore.

DRayRaven on August 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

OT: Does anyone have knowledge of this?

WordsMatter on August 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

OWS party-crashers?

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Was my first thought too – or dem plants. Only they would be stupid enough (or wanting to on purpose) do something like that to a member of the media.

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Yep. The problem with the Left is that they never act out what passes for actual racism in regular society, which is fairly subdued. Instead they act like Klan members and they truly believe that more than a handful of Republicans act that way.

News flash, folks: if Republicans acted that way on a regular basis, you’d know it. Instead, the media has to extrapolate racism from jokes about a birth certificate, when 90% of the f**king world knows there was nothing behind it but good humor.

So odd that most comedians are liberal, but most liberals have no sense of humor.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Most comedians aren’t all that funny.

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Archivarix on August 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Why HHS? Does he have any particular knowledge of HHS? I don’t remember what committee assignments he had while a Senator.

rhombus on August 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Moving speech. Tears and pride and a harkening back to a time when respect and honor were part of our public discourse. I think his line about one party supporting human life got the loudest spontaneous applause of the evening.

Portia46 on August 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Most comedians aren’t all that funny.

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Very, very true.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Statist scumbag.

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Says the Godless hedonist.

(I figure this comment alone will be good for about 500 “retorts”)

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Says the Godless hedonist.

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Is that supposed to be an insult?

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Where’s the blue gilled one to tell us what a true patriot Santorum is and how much she admires him?

Flora Duh on August 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yawn. Who gives a rats a$$ what politicians say in a speech – it’s about what they do and how theyve voted. And Mr Sweatervest has voted like a big government statist.

MoreLiberty on August 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

OT: Does anyone have knowledge of this?

WordsMatter on August 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

OWS party-crashers?

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The RNC said it was dealt with. CNN is giving the story a low profile.

lexhamfox on August 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

OT: Does anyone have knowledge of this?

WordsMatter on August 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I’d have to learn a bit more about this since it frankly doesn’t sound right. I’m not saying there’s a possibility of a couple of “nuts” being sent from their home state, but it just doesn’t sound right. I’ve been attending Republican and Tea Party affairs for years and years and years. If anything, the people attending are super conscious of the possibility of being perceived as judging because of race. The worst racism I’ve ever encountered in my entire life has come from Democrats–THEY are the ones telling the jokes. I’d simply have to hear more to believe this is the whole story.

Portia46 on August 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Is that supposed to be an insult?

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Just the truth as I see it, pertaining to Santorum detractors within the Republican party.

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

The RNC said it was dealt with. CNN is giving the story a low profile.

lexhamfox on August 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

That makes no sense either. CNN is an extension of the White House Press Room. IF this were the whole tale, why aren’t they headlining it. A camera person does have a camera, right?

Portia46 on August 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I thot Santorum’s speech was one of his better ones. This statement said it all, In 1923 there were no government benefits for immigrants except one: Freedom! And today it is the same, for without Freedom not much else can be accomplished. He also made the contrast on what this Administration has done to stifle Freedom.

Nor do I think every speaker needs to be a cheering section and mention Romney continually.

bluefox on August 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Portia46 on August 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Well of course it doesn’t right! The two responsible were removed immediately as they should have been. It’s been dealt with.

lexhamfox on August 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Did he rally the troops in support of Akin?

EddieC on August 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

MoreLiberty on August 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

But yet here you are commenting so it seems that you have a few rats a$$e$ handy.

You are aware that this is going to be a few days of speeches? You may wish to find other things to do as you are going to be bored early and often.

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

So anyone who doesn’t like Santorum’s views about there being no right to privacy, or that traditional conservatives don’t believe in low taxes or limits on government intrusion and regulation…is just a godless heathen?

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Is that supposed to be an insult?

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

If it is, it’s hilariously off-point. And has little to do with Santorum pretending to be a conservative.

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I know I mentioned it in another thread, but there was this creeping homoerotic undertone in his speech with the imagery of big, strong, bulging, rugged hands and thick, firm, manly grips that a friend and I were giggling at.

I think I may have needed a cigarette when he finished.

I don’t even smoke.

mintycrys on August 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Doughboy on August 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Thanks for the good news!

Lightswitch on August 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Slightly OT
Never been much of a fan of him but he went way, way up in the approval ratings at our house last night. At the beginning of his speech he mentioned that his son is a freshman (knob) at The Citadel. The audience cheered and so did we. My hubby is a grad and our youngest is a senior this year. The Santorums seem like such a good family and they are obviously proud of their son, as they should be!

Jomama on August 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

OWS party-crashers?

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Why does what they did have to be related to the color of the cameraman’s skin? She was from CNN, they could have been mocking that. Not that doing so would be particularly smart, but it certainly wasn’t necessarily racist.

AZfederalist on August 29, 2012 at 2:28 PM

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’m rejecting the premise that Santorum’s views are what you just said they are.

Is that supposed to be an insult?

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

It has to do with you rejecting Biblical defined morality, and your exertions at blocking such a standard of morality from becoming the definition of “normal”.

Rick Santorum was never going to advocate for vice-police “snooping” around people’s bedrooms, motel rooms, hunting camps, parked vehicles, tents, or any other private places where people might engage in sexual intimacy.

But he is all for ‘public stigma’, and so am I.

It’s past time to overthrow the “If it feels good, DO IT” mentality of the ’70s.
It was wrong then, and hasn’t become any more “validated” since.

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The RNC said it was dealt with. CNN is giving the story a low profile.

lexhamfox on August 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Portia46 on August 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM

The only time the State Run Media turns away from a story is when it will hurt a pet. I smell a plant. If this were a “real” republican they’d be airing the film and having the camera operator on to air her story.

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Security also escorted out at least two protesters who began yelling during GOP speeches at the Tuesday convention session. Their comments could barely be heard in the large arena, the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

OT: Does anyone have knowledge of this?

WordsMatter on August 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Portia46 on August 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Interesting how they go on and identify other protesters but not the nut throwers. I bet they were also protesters not delegates. If they were actually invited I bet CNN would have said so. So far CNN is not talking about who threw the nuts other than the non descriptive attendees.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

All good solid speeches. Typical convention type stuff.
I don’t plan on hearing anything special; same ole political speak.

All the speeches in the world won’t take the place of repealing
Obamacare. On that day (and I am still unsure whether Mitt will try and find a way to squish out of it – perhaps by making some minor adjustments and calling it something else), I will cheer to the heavens.

Words mean pretty much nothing to me. I want to see the “walk the talk”.

Amjean on August 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

That’s nice. I already quoted, verbatim, his claim that traditional conservatives are not in favor of low taxes and less government regulation and intrusion into the bedroom. Here’s where he said there is no right to privacy.

“Reject” Santorum’s own words all you like.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

But he is all for ‘public stigma’, and so am I.

I

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

‘public stigma’ lol :)…Torquemada must be proud of you :)…You actually sound worse than the Inquisition….you indict the ‘mentality of the 70s’ while espousing one reminiscent of the dark middle age…i’ll go with fhe 70s one any time of the day :)…

jimver on August 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM

But he is all for ‘public stigma’, and so am I.

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

That doesn’t require government. Why does Santorum insist that government should be involved, per his comments I posted upthread?

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I think I may have needed a cigarette when he finished.

I don’t even smoke.

mintycrys on August 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Or it could just be the jaded perception of the listener..

melle1228 on August 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM

… And Mr Sweatervest has voted like a big government statist.

MoreLiberty on August 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

So hasn’t Paul Ryan–Medicare Part D, TARP, auto bailout . . .

KickandSwimMom on August 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Why should I be forced into accepting biblical so-called morality? The Bible has no more place being forced as what you call “normal” in this country than the Eddas. You’re already doing mental gymnastics trying to ignore Santorum’s own words about government, so this doesn’t really surprise me.

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM

All the speeches in the world won’t take the place of repealing

Words mean pretty much nothing to me. I want to see the “walk the talk”.

Amjean on August 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Republicans have proven utterly balless.

All they needed to to was refuse an increase in the debt limit without defunding Planned Parenthood and Obama Care but no. It is amazing any have any children.

This is not Rocket Science. Without money the program dies. But instead the Republicans funded Obama Care and Planed Parenthood.

Mitt loves Obama Care it is his most cherished accomplishment.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM

kim roy on August 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM

It just amazes me when people actually listen to a speech and give it credit. It’s for the sheeple I guess. Politicians give a speech and morons listen, but those same morons don’t research voting records.

MoreLiberty on August 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Portia46 on August 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

ignatzk on August 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM

This from someone who thinks small government is the government recognizing all private relationships.

melle1228 on August 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM

The fact that Santorum is popular with Social Conservatives only serves to underscore the fact that despite what they say, many of them are indeed single issue voters. After all, how else does one explain how a big government, pro-union, pork-loving politician from New England can become a hero to so many who call themselves conservative?

JFS61 on August 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM

JFS61 on August 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM

This is like saying the fact that so many Republicans like Romney; it must mean they like Obamacare since Romney was the grandfather of it/.

Santorum was one of a horrible field this time around. And yes, I probably wouldn’t have voted for Santorum due to his fiscal policies-because my fiscal concerns are just as important as my social concerns. That doesn’t mean that Santorum isn’t a decent man with a beautiful family and I couldn’t enjoy his speech.

melle1228 on August 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM

melle1228 on August 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I think it shouldn’t recognize any. Barring that happening, it should recognize them equally and fairly without bias.

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Matt Lewis and Peggy Noonan did not think much of Ann Romney’s speech. Not surprisingly, Matt Lewis, an ardent Santorum supporter, like his better.

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM

MoreLiberty on August 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Yes that drives me nuts.

So many just listen to a Politician and buys every word they say. Then they call anyone a liar if they point out the actual actions and statements that conflict with this manufactured false persona.

Politicians know if they tell a lie often enough that many will believe the lie to be fact.

Mitt Romney did raise taxes in Mass.

Mitt Romney was never a Conservative Governor.

Mitt Romney did not increase employment in Mass he drove many to flee Mass and work in other States. The other New England States did see increased employment but not Mass.

Mitt Romney chose to move to Mass very late in the game from Utah. This so he could win as Liberal Moderate. He had no chance of wining an election in Utah where he was a resident so he moved. He then denied he was a Republican that was just a meaningless technicality.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM

It will require both Legislative and Executive action to overturn the SCOTUS decisions forbidding expressions of Christianity on public property, and Roe vs Wade.

And any other such Judicial decisions (too many to identify here) that never should have been brought to pass.

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM

JFS61 on August 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Let me tell you something that is not being reported.

Mitt Romney won the nomination but.

Mitt Romney is losing big time on the Republican Plank. The Conservatives you seem to hate are winning all day long. Almost every thing they wanted in in the Platform. They are not being railroaded by Mitt one little bit. They pay lip service to Mitt on the floor but behind closed doors Mitt is taking a huge beating. In fact the boos on the floor were making it loud and clear to Mitt he would lose if he attempted to get any of his issues in the Plank.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I really thought Santorum’s speech was great. I liked the hands theme.

magicbeans on August 29, 2012 at 3:33 PM

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You can’t be forced into accepting anything, but the general public can “stigmatize”, and should.

From the late 1960s through the 1970s the Counter-culturalists were allowed to drive the use of stigma out of peoples everyday way of thinking.
It’s past time for it to come back.

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM

mythicknight on August 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You are free to leave America.

Good riddens.

Go to some GODless country. America is a GOD loving country.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM
MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Apparently if you don’t consent to santorum approving your bedroom activities you are a hater.

Rusty Allen on August 29, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Rick Santorum is a good man. An unquestionably decent, honorable man. George W. Bush was too.

That doesn’t change the fact that the conservatism of both men stops cold after the word “social.” They’re “John Kennedy Republicans (to coin a phrase)” Socially moral, pro-growth, pro-gun, pro-military, and in all other respects L-I-B-E-R-A-L. Granted, there’s worse ways to be described, but each man’s lack of understanding of the limits of government and the limits of military power are directly responsible for how we got here.

That’s why I was never able to latch on to Rick Santorum as the “conservative” alternative to Mitt Romney during the primaries.

SAMinVA on August 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Go to some GODless country. America is a GOD loving country.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I guess GOD must hate the First Amendment. Strange God, that GOD…

JohnGalt23 on August 29, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I guess GOD must hate the First Amendment. Strange God, that GOD…

JohnGalt23
on August 29, 2012 at 4:17 PM

God, the Founding Fathers, Rick Santorum, myself, (and an innumerable host of others) disagree with your (and the Warren Court’s) misinterpretation of the First Amendment.

The Founding Fathers were opposed to the government regulating the practice of Christianity; like in England.
Not too much disagreement there.

But there will be, here:
The Founding Fathers were for the practice of Christianity regulating government and society at large.

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Santorum haters heads to explode in 3…2…1…

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Naw, there’s no reason for them to hate him now; he’s not the nominee. Now the liberals will keep hating him, but they hate everything anyway. Except hate.

Sterling Holobyte on August 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I watched them all. I ranked Ricks #1 on the passion meter, followed by Cruz and Christie. This will scare a few, but I think he would dress out fine in a SC robe.

hillsoftx on August 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I was lucky enough to meet Rick Santorum and hear him speak on the campaign trail earlier this year – Rick has a deep passion for America and Americans – he is a true patriot. Santorum has a lot to offer – I hope that he is given an important spot in Romney’s administration.

Pork-Chop on August 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Both hubby and I liked his speech, alot.

pambi on August 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Yes you did…as you were being shown the door. Nice try though.

MelonCollie on August 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You are free to leave America.

Good riddens.

Go to some GODless country. America is a GOD loving country.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I don’t believe in any god.

Go ahead, tell me to leave.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I don’t believe in any god.

Go ahead, tell me to leave.

MadisonConservative
on August 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I won’t tell you to leave. I will tell you that the Biblical standard of morality is going to become our standard of “normal”, again, and that it never should have been rejected like it was back in the 1970s.

listens2glenn on August 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I don’t believe in any god.

Go ahead, tell me to leave.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Not about that. I think you love America.

But people that hate this country should leave. Don’t complain find a country more to your liking.

I have no problem with people in America that love America. I have a big problem with people trying to force me to abandon GOD. Trying to force me to remove religious icons that are good for all. Trying to take away my right to pray in public, school, government or where ever else I wish to pray.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

To people with morals, atheist or theist or other, being called a “hedonist” should be considered an insult.

CanofSand on August 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

You are free to leave America.

Good riddens.

Go to some GODless country. America is a GOD loving country.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

The comedy just writes itself with that one. How about this: instead of trying yo drag this country into the dark ages, how about you and your ilk move to Iran? Seems it’d be much more socially comfy for you.

SAMinVA on August 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Same.

mythicknight on August 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM

… instead of trying yo drag this country into the dark ages, how about you and your ilk move to Iran …
mythicknight on August 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM

You sound like a leftist right now. Understand that? You’ve got straw men and bigotry, nothing else.

CanofSand on August 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM