Video: A tribute to presidents past

posted at 10:31 pm on August 29, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

It was only a brief aside from the RNC’s evening proceedings, but I thought it merited a mention: As I’ve argued before, I maintain that history is going to be kind to President Bush. As much as I think he didn’t do enough to stem the flow of government expansion and big spending during his tenure, which in several ways helped to set us up for the awful situation we’re in now, President Obama has put his predecessor to shame and a half on that score — and no amount of blaming ‘the previous administration’ for all of your problems is going to change that fact. I sometimes wonder how there’s enough room for anybody else to fit inside the White House with President Obama and his abundant ego taking up all the oxygen. They weren’t perfect, but both President George W. Bush and his father, President George H.W. Bush, are wonderful reminders of what it looks like when a little dose of humility takes up residence on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Comments

W!

Lanceman on August 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I thought the video was great.

Blake on August 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I thought it was great. Of course the Dems are like BuBuBooooooshhhhh!

Roymunson on August 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

84 always make proud.

Laura in Maryland on August 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

84 always make me proud.

Laura in Maryland on August 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Fixed it for me.

Laura in Maryland on August 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Erika, I like the way you think…and write. Thanks.

d1carter on August 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM

As I’ve argued before, I maintain that history is going to be kind to President Bush. As much as I think he didn’t do enough to stem the flow of government expansion and big spending during his tenure, which in several ways helped to set us up for the awful situation we’re in now…

History will not be kind to Bush. He doesn’t deserve such kindness, as it is. He didn’t do enough to stem the flow of government expansion and big spending? He was an active and willing participant in such! We got Obama because of Bush and congressional Republicans. A dose of humility? Give me a break. Bush and his father equated compassion with authoritarianism.

rickv404 on August 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

rickv404 on August 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

You truly are a know-nothing.

thebrokenrattle on August 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM

rickv404 on August 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Why don’t you shut the hell up?

Less than 1% of the people here give a ‘rats ass what you think.

Assclown.

Lanceman on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Erika, I like the way you think…and write. Thanks.

d1carter on August 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM

So do I. Sometimes I get the feeling she’s in my head with the stuff she writes. It’s like I could have written it, if I knew how to write properly.

ButterflyDragon on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I’d take Bush and all his faults over the buttwipe in office now any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I used to love watching the anti-war nuts going apoplectic over Booooooooosssssshhhhhhh.
Funny, the dancing vageenas aren’t protesting Barry the warmonger.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 PM

rickv404 on August 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

STFU and go crawl in bed with obama. He’s lonely.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Statists both.

Valiant on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Statists both.

Valiant on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM

The two best war time Commanders In Chief that I’ve served under.

hawkdriver on August 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Half of the “debt drivers in chief” cabal in the picture. Add in Clinton and Obama, and you’ll have four of the chief reasons we’re now drowning in debt. A veto pen and the bully pulpit had a slight chance of stopping the red ink, but none of them had the brains or the balls to do it.

I long for the days of Reagan and personal responsibility. For those too young to remember, personal responsibility and living with the consequences of your actions was the real underpinning of the greatness of the USA. Too bad you’ll probably never see it again.

Thanks, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Barry. You effed up a really good thing we had going.

Wino on August 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Give me a break. Bush and his father equated compassion with authoritarianism.

rickv404 on August 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

*Laughing* …and your messiah, Obama, does?

Tell that to the people in ‘Nawlins while Obama is out at fundraisers… and Kanye West was unavailable for comment….

Turtle317 on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM

STFU and go crawl in bed with obama. He’s lonely.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on August 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Barry will have both Dubya and Jimmy Carter to keep him company. They have a lot in common, you know! :-)

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM

God bless them both. Great men.

the new aesthetic on August 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Gee right… I sure hate BOOSH for that 5% unemployment and an economy growing 3x what it is now…

…thank God for that economy wrecker, Obama…

Turtle317 on August 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Big fan of W here… Always like being reminded what a real president looks like.

RalphyBoy on August 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Both Bushes handled multiple crises successfully. People who hurl cheap shot criticisms at them from the peanut gallery either don’t understand, or willfully choose to ignore the context of the times within which they led.

Not only is Bush 43 a good and decent man, but Bush 41 is an actual war hero and servant of the nation. Both deserve better respect than they get from the second-guessers and back-seat drivers who infest these comment threads.

HTL on August 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I long for the days of Reagan and personal responsibility.

Wino on August 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Ditto.

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM

ITT: Butthurt loser democrats who are on the wrong side of history.

the new aesthetic on August 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Do I really need to add a sarc tag to my last comment? Jus’ askin’….

Turtle317 on August 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM

So, is this where the puddin’ cup action is?

minnesoter on August 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

W!!!!!!

miss ya buddy

cmsinaz on August 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM

So, is this where the puddin’ cup action is?

minnesoter on August 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Sure! Grab a cup! Welcome, minnesoter!

Turtle317 on August 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Say isn’t the darling old white haired lady, Sarah Palins biggest fan?

Bmore on August 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

No? Okay … QOTD coming right up. But Lo, what is that I hear? The soft shuffle of padded slippers aimlessly meandering down the hall? Heeeeeeeeeeere’s, Bishop!

minnesoter on August 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Obama 2016 The Movie rightly credits W along with BHO for the crushing national debt.

A problem that was not addressed when Republicans had the full Congress and the White House.

Al they had to do was freeze spending and we would have grown our way out of the debt.

Yet those who love their country are fed an unending stream of crap sandwiches from the GOP.

Valiant on August 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Say isn’t the darling old white haired lady, Sarah Palins biggest fan?

Bmore on August 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Que?

minnesoter on August 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Liked seeing W and HW..Great video. Thanks for posting it.

workingclass artist on August 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Bush 43 was such a relief — and blessing — after Clinton. I have wondered in the last couple of years if I would remember the younger Bush as the last president I felt I could trust in the Oval Office without a constant sense of alarm.

I hope not. Romney won’t be that president for me, but he’ll be a relief after Obama. I think the American people have some work to do on our character, knowledge, and wisdom. When that work is done — and I do think a Romney presidency is one in which we will have the latitude to do it — we will be able to elect presidents we can put some trust in again.

J.E. Dyer on August 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM

rickv404 on August 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Since both of you are here, that must mean no one’s scrubbing the Frosty machine.

AubieJon on August 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Oh, Gawd, go away! Nobody’s buying here.

Look at the ACTUAL GWB GDP growth figures during his FULL term as president. Compare those growth figures for those of Western Europe during the same time frame.

Yes, GWB spent way the hell too much of U.S. taxpayer monies. NO, his abuse of taxpayers did not, and does not, compare to what B. Hussein Obama has put us through.

But THANK YOU for visiting Hot Air, and watch that the screen door does not wap you on the way out.

minnesoter on August 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

What could have been and what little they did with those opportunities.

Bush 41 and Bush 43 were both big disappointments.

RJL on August 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM

rickv404 on August 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

You are far too kind. Both Bushes suffered from the same defect. They were both great people with great stories. But neither had any idea how to govern as a Republican. Both cared far to much what the Press said and neither were actually Conservative. Thus both feel into the tax and spend hole. GW Bush was our worst President in 60 years if the Republican Party ends up going away he will be in history the reason why. He came in with the House and the Senate but his priorities was to try to please the Press and eliminate Democratic Talikng Points thus he pushed for Medicare Part D. Sounded good but it destroyed the budget and sent a clear message to the other Republicans that deficit spending was fine and dandy. They they spent and spent and spent. GW lost the House in 06 but pressed on the gas and accelerated spending like crazy. He signed every new spending bill he was given. Thus in 08 the Republican Party lost everything.

Now if that record is good in your book I really have to wonder who your hero is. Carter perhaps. You measure on how good a President is at getting Democrats elected. I mean really. These two stunk on Ice. Both were great for the Democrats.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM

No, they don’t and you are an idiot for saying they do.

For one thing when Bush was President, we had a president who actually liked America and for another thing we had jobs. Remember those?

Terrye on August 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM

rickv404 on August 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM

AubieJon on August 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

No, the owner had to close up shop due to the miserable economy and is now sleeping in his car with the wife and kids because their house was foreclosed on. I told ‘em to tune into the *Bush Tribute* to lift their spirits, but they don’t have a TV anymore.

Oh well, it could be worse — I guess we could be scrubbing Bush’s boots with ignorant grins on our little dirty faces like you all, Aubiejon. :-)

Fool.

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Like ‘em as people, am not enthralled as prez.

SMACKRUNNER on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

What could have been and what little they did with those opportunities.

Bush 41 and Bush 43 were both big disappointments.

RJL on August 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I don’t think so and I think history will be kinder to them than the pundits and the purists.

In fact, their numbers are actually going up the longer Obama is president.

Terrye on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

The two best war time Commanders In Chief that I’ve served under.

hawkdriver on August 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Same here.

Kevin71 on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

They have a quiet dignity and obviously love each other and their country very much.

The story about Putin walking into the Oval…amazing.

I shed a tear.

PattyJ on August 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

It must be so easy being you. Your resume’ must be perfection itself. It must be true, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to pontificate about things of which you are completely ignorant.

To be so unencumbered by things like knowledge or experience must be liberating. Now go wait by the mailbox for your gubmint check.

AubieJon on August 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

The two best war time Commanders In Chief that I’ve served under.

hawkdriver on August 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I served under Reagan as well, and have to put him in a list of three with the two Bushes. They were great commanders in chief.

J.E. Dyer on August 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I recognize this arrogance. It belongs to someone who’s never accomplished anything and never will, but manages to live off people who do.

Asswipe.

AubieJon on August 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Wow, lots of hatred for the Bush family here. Can we stipulate that they weren’t perfect, but did a lot of good things as well? Good grief, reading through the comments you’d think the Bush family single-handedly destroyed the US.

Whatever happened to having hope that the US can still reverse course?

RationalIcthus on August 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM

J.E. Dyer on August 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Me too…3 years under Reagan, 3 years under Bush…and the ‘Evil’ Dick Cheney as Sec of Defense.

The Horror!!

BigWyo on August 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Susana martinez on greta

jimver on August 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Sweet video. Whatever their faults, I sure would take all four of them over the Obummers.

And I think I even heard Laura Bush telling us to vote for all our local Republican candidates. Hear that, Missouri? ;-)

NebCon on August 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’m sorry I missed the Bush video earlier tonight.

Both those men deserve our thanks. Yes both!

There are arguments about both that I agree/don’t agree with, but you never misundertood where they stood.

Makes me miss a leader for this country.

ccrosby on August 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

So having and maintaining a respect for two Presidents who guided this nation through tough times is equal to “boot licking”, according to you?

Your type of arrogance only comes from someone who has never accomplished anything, nor will you ever, but manages to live off the people who do.

And if this ends up posting twice, it’s because I reposted thinking the moderator wouldn’t allow the wording of the first post to get through. I was being merciful, believe me.

AubieJon on August 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

And even though I am late to the discussion..Condi Rice was amazing tonight!

I admire this woman so much, her speech was from the heart and I just hope her determination to stay out of “politics” ends when Romney asks her to serve her nation again.

ccrosby on August 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Sorry, no nostalgia for me. No more Bushes.

rrpjr on August 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM

J.E. Dyer on August 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Yes they were good with the Military. Although GW trusted CAIR and really killed any chance in Iraq or Afganastan. He did not understand that Muslims will use Democracy to implement Sharia (communism) Dictatorship every time.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

So anyone know why Palin was cut from Fox tonight?

I know Fox says “time constraints” Which I can believe.

Even O’Reilly must be foaming at the mouth with the time he’s losing explaining how the political world works to the “folks”

ccrosby on August 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Somebody must have rung the free food bell. All the little paulbot fascists are crawling out from under their rocks to gorge at the trough. And spew ignorance and filth – as is their wont.
I see very little difference between the paulbot fascists and the leftists/#owsers. They’re all despicable little worms.

Solaratov on August 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Sorry, no nostalgia for me. No more Bushes.

rrpjr on August 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I think history will prove you wrong.

ccrosby on August 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Look more closely at the “writing” of these gleeful Bush-bashers.

It’s a sock puppet theater, folks.

Solly on August 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Statists both.

Valiant on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM

H Bush was a statesman. Big difference.

Someday you will know how close the US the came to war when the Soviet Union collapsed and it was his exemplary stewardship that got us through without a conflict. He also set the stage for the Clinton economic success and was the last fiscally prudent Republican President.

lexhamfox on August 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

ccrosby on August 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Who knows. Maybe squandering Reagan’s legacy to play patsy with the Left and opening the door to Bill Clinton served some greater end, and likewise maybe GWB’s insipid failure to define and defend conservatism or call out the Left for eight years while he pre-Socialized the US economy and opened the door to the unholy scourge of Obama also served a greater purpose. I believe in the paradox of history, so I accept the possibility. But I’m not getting misty-eyed over it.

rrpjr on August 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I had the honor of meeting then-VP Bush and Mrs. bush the week before the election. I was a VERY newly-minted 18 year old who was all gung-ho about voting in her first election. Both of them were all class. Mrs. bush said that I’ve got a cool name.*noobs-it’s common knowledge here that my ‘real’ name is Barb* After 2 years @ the Chicago School of the Arts I was kind of immune to celebrity-but they impressed little me.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Bmore on August 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I LIKE Barbara Bush.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

ahh got something in my eyes..that teared me up a little bit..i love that family..they are great people..very classy..of course W and Sr made mistakes as presidents..i disagreed with W on several things..but they still have my respect as great human beings..soooo much more class than Obama..it’s not even close… I do and proudly say i miss ya W!

sadsushi on August 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

AubieJon on August 29, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Living in reality is never easy, AubieJon. George W. Bush was a lousy president whose only good achievement in office was the nomination — and eventual confirmation — of Justice Samuel Alito.

If you would have asked me before the health care mandate ruling, I might have said Alito and Chief Justice John Roberts.

Oh, and his work on AIDS in Africa is admirable.

AubieJon on August 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

You must be one of those parents who doesn’t want to keep score at a soccer game and who hands out trophies for just showing up. I believe this is called “compassionate conservatism”, yes?

Look, in my America, we reward competence and celebrate those who do a good job. Bush didn’t do a good job, AubieJon, and no amount of insults hurled at me or others is going to change that.

Punchenko on August 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Whatever happened to having hope that the US can still reverse course?

RationalIcthus on August 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Mitt Romney became the nominee and is much like the Bush’s who gave us Obama in the first place.

Obama is mostly why the Bush’s are hated. That and their own big spending ways.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

oh and also i hope it’s Dick Cheney who is the mystery speaker tomorrow..that would drive liberals absolutely crazy!

sadsushi on August 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I LIKE Barbara Bush.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Yes she and Ann Romney are wonderful.

Steveangell on August 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM

On a fool’s mission, are you?

Only a fool would argue, “History will say…”

You’ve no idea what the future will be like in 100, 250, 1000 years.

Dack Thrombosis on August 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM

The Bushes are such nice people in person. I have serious problems the Bush Jr’s policies but I was always humbled by their hospitality and kindness. They really are good people.

lexhamfox on August 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

lexhamfox on August 30, 2012 at 1:11 AMExactly.
@ a campaign stop in Chicago Heights, Il Mrs.(Barbara) Bush took genuine interest in what a young, over-exuberant new voter had to say.(me). THAT I will always remember.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Was it at an Aon executive’s place??

lexhamfox on August 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM

For all the guys going back to Reagan:

Reagan wasn’t that great on the spending side either. He was a damn fine president, but lets not pretend that while he, like W and 41 were great on the tax issues, their ability to stop Congress’s runaway spending was lacking.

BKennedy on August 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM

What could have been and what little they did with those opportunities.

Bush 41 and Bush 43 were both big disappointments.

RJL on August 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM

…ONLY in a fiscal sense!

KOOLAID2 on August 30, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I had lots of political issues with W, but my son was a SpOps Marine, into the Corps in 2001 and we were so proud he could serve under President Bush. The President was a phenomenal Commander in Chief and simply a wonderful man.

George W. Bush knew what he was asking my son and the men with whom he served to accomplish and he understood the cost. He met with the families of fallen Marines from my son’s unit and was gracious and comforting and the families, who we knew, said he spent every moment with just them and that he was a very good man. Many disagreed with him politically, but every one echoed what a very good and caring man George W. Bush was.

Some things are beyond politics, W is one of them, perhaps the preeminent one.

mbecker908 on August 30, 2012 at 3:36 AM

I had the honor of meeting George W. Bush when he was on a campaign stop in 1999. I shook his hand and talked to him, and my first impression of him was one of a decent man. He might have sucked in his last term, but he was so much better than the fraud we have in office now. Who is this Obama?

tbear44 on August 30, 2012 at 5:23 AM

lexhamfox on August 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

My wife worked in the same building as Bush I after his presidency. Every once in a while, she’d ride the elevator with him and his SS friends. She said he was always thoughtful and courteous. The Bush family is good people.

They were too nice to even try to pull the reins on spending, though, and that’s why I am down on them. We don’t need compassionate conservatives. We need kick-ass conservatives.

Wino on August 30, 2012 at 5:28 AM

You are understating it just a wee bit, Erika. He racked them up and watched Obama run the table. Then he sat back and played elder statesman. I don’t hate them like I hate Obama. I just want them gone.

swinia sutki on August 30, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Punchenko on August 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

You couldn’t be further from the truth, but then that’s expected – isn’t it. My comment about the Frosty machine really struck a nerve with you, didn’t it? What I meant in jest really cut you to the quick.

The problem with bitterness is that you become just like the person who caused it.

AubieJon on August 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Bmore on August 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I LIKE Barbara Bush.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Nothing wrong with that alt. ; )

Bmore on August 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I loved this video but it made me sad. It felt like a goodbye to GHWB. We all get old, the wheel turns, etc. but it’s still sad.

NealK on August 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM