Snap poll: Romney’s favorable rating rises five points overnight, Christie’s speech most popular

posted at 5:19 pm on August 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “So far, so good.”

I assume most of this is due to Ann, whose speech dwelled entirely on Mitt, versus Christie, who didn’t mention him until 16 minutes in. But even so, this is interesting:

Romney had a 43-percent favorable and 44-percent unfavorable rating in nine battleground states heading into the convention, according to an average compiled by Real Clear Politics.

A survey conducted by Wilson Perkins Allen Opinion Research in nine battle ground states Tuesday evening found Romney’s favorable rating among likely voters had jumped to 48 percent. His unfavorable rating dipped to 39…

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s speech had the biggest impact of the convention so far, more than twice as popular as Ann Romney’s remarks on Tuesday, according to the poll.

Twelve percent of respondents rated Christie’s speech as their favorite, compared to five percent who favored Romney’s…

The good news is it’s a sample of likely voters. The bad news is that the sample’s small, just 303 people. Any news that Romney’s favorables might be improving after months of Obama attacks is worth blogging, but there’s really no way to tell from this whether he’ll get a meaningful bounce. Consider it a “good sign” and a further reason to watch Ryan tonight. My hunch is that if there’s any speech that’s likely to significantly help the ticket, it’s his, not Mitt’s tomorrow.

As for Christie’s speech, Politico claims people “close to Romney” are grumbling that it was a bust because it was more about him that it was about either Mitt or Obama. (Never mind that Romney’s team vetted the speech weeks ago.) If you’re going to get the big guy for your keynote, you want him in full tough-guy mode, throwing roundhouses, no? Actually, maybe not. Jay Cost makes the case:

One theme that connects the political victories of Barack Obama in 2008, George W. Bush in 2000, Bill Clinton in 1992, Ronald Reagan in 1980, Jimmy Carter in 1976, and all the way back to Thomas Jefferson in 1800 is a simple, powerful message: The other side has failed America, but we can do better.

If you look at the polling data, you can see pretty clearly that a Republican convention that focuses on the failures of Barack Obama would be tantamount to beating a dead horse…

The middle of the country is deeply disappointed in the job this president has done, and that has been the case basically for three years. What is left for the GOP ticket to do is to make the positive case for change. That is what we began to see last night.

It would be the height of political malpractice to fall into the false dichotomy the Democrats have been preaching – a “choice” versus a “referendum.” Every election is in fact both.

Fair point. After three and a half years, Obama’s negatives are essentially baked in the cake. All the GOP can do now is explain why they’d be better, which is why Ryan’s speech is the moment of truth. And in further defense of Christie, our media being as loathsome as it is, he would have been destroyed last night for gleefully pummeling Obama while Isaac is raging even though Obama’s out on the trail himself. Just one question, though: If you’re going for a purely positive message, why get Christie for the keynote? Rubio would have been much better in that role. You could have put Christie instead in the Thursday night slot to introduce Mitt and get the crowd fired up. I don’t quite get it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hmm, I didn’t like that Christie speech. Guess I won’t complain. :/

lorien1973 on August 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I much preferred Ann’s speech to Christie’s.

As Allahpundit points out: So far so good.

thatsafactjack on August 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Snap poll: Romney’s favorable rating rises five points overnight

Actual, his net favorable rating went from -1 to +9.

steebo77 on August 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Call me silly, but snap polls mean precisely jack.

rob verdi on August 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Loved the Christie speech. I watched it and thought “this is why people were begging him to run”.

Well, if ol Mitt loses this one, we now know Christie can pull it off.

johnnyboy on August 29, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Christie’s speech most popular

Some of the pundits are swallowing CROW -

jake-the-goose on August 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Romney now promising to reverse defense cuts. Poor terrye.

Dante on August 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I think a lot of the conservative uncertainty about Christie’s speech was due to the fact that we weren’t the target audience.

strictnein on August 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Obama supporters or past supporters, don’t need to be told Obama is a failure, that forces them to defend him…they need to be told that there are problems and better solutions…and that is what Christie and Ann did.

It was a brilliant move…now Ryan can take on Obama tonight.

right2bright on August 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Alternate headline: “So far, so good.”
======================================

Keep er at 20 kts,bow into the wind,
steady as she goes,and keep a sharp
eye lookout,………….

canopfor on August 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

BUT HE DIDN’T TALK ABOUT FAST AND FURIOUS!@!@$1!!!

IT WAS A HORRIBLE FAILURE!@11!!

Good Lt on August 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I thought Christie was pretty good.

I suspect the campaign has good reason to believe they are in pretty good shape right now and mainly need to get people to like Mitt a little more – and not let the media define other big Republicans as scary meanies. The tone down is fine.

forest on August 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I liked Ann’s, but there was so many really good ones that didn’t get much press? Not much of a fan of christie, but I guess most thought he did good? We will see how Ryan does tonight and I just pray he does good! Hope he doesn’t use the teleprompter, that says to me, I’m not sure what I should be saying? Speak from the heart and mean what you say! Same goes for Mitt.
L

letget on August 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Good Lt on August 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

He didn’t rip any heads off and crap down throats. That’s the fatman I know and love.

lorien1973 on August 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

It was painful listening to Rush trash the convention – again – today.

I don’t get his schizophrenia about this. First, he complained that running against Obama’s record is insufficient because this is an election about contrasting ideas and ideology, and ideology trumps all.

So the convention speakers, especially Christie, talk about contrasting ideas and ideology. So naturally, Rush complains. Because they’re not running against Obama’s record.

KingGold on August 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I would not put much faith in the poll of favorite speeches ..They talked to 38 people per state.

Not sure how you even cut the data to see who they liked with 38 per state, of which 24% watched…. So 9 per state watched.

NextGen on August 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I’ve had a bunch of mixed reactions to the speech, mostly from our side. I thought it was wonderful; Christie and Walker have a great story to tell: Americans will vote for conservatives being conservative. Scott Walker and Chris Christie are not apologetic for their views or their policies, and they don’t compromise on what’s right.

John_Locke on August 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Poor terrye.

Dante on August 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Poor dante, always left wanting.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

While I didn’t care for Christies speech, I think it did what it was intended to do. It impressed the fence sitters, and it didn’t give the media the opportunity they were drooling for. They were dying to paint our convention as a bitter hatefest. All this goodwill and positive energy is really unnerving them.

BettyRuth on August 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Why is this so hard for people to get?

Chris Christie is a LEADER. He got stuff done in a state where he doesn’t have a majority of voters or the legislature. His discussion about himself and his experience as Governor was a scathing indictment and prosecution of Barack Obama AS A FAILED LEADER.

What the heck would Marco Rubio have said that could possibly compare to this? He’s a back-bench freshman Senator.

rockmom on August 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

The Fat Man brought it. To bad the Fifth Column Treasonous Media hid the minorities.

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I agree on Christie’s speech. To me, it was the best of a lot of good ones.

MaiDee on August 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Great news, but DON’T GET COCKY!

Alberta_Patriot on August 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM

It was painful listening to Rush trash the convention – again – today.

KingGold on August 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I agree- although I think he did eventually realize that he was sounding like a big bowl of sour grapes, and dialed it down. I respect Rush’s opinion most of the time, but I think he has a real blind spot regarding moderate voters and we need them to win.

BettyRuth on August 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM

And yet listening to Ronald Reagan proclaime REPEATEDLY what a failure Carter had been somehow… worked. Go figure.

Midas on August 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM

lorien1973 on August 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

He never really does when he gives a planned speech. He’s much better at off the cuff stuff.

JPeterman on August 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Christie was good because with Axelrod going around today saying it was an angry hate filled day, people will realize the failure of hope and change.

redeye on August 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

KingGold -

Rush is not a political guru – he is a man with very strong opinions on poilitics and political philosophy who really understands the media (and crazy democrats, assuming there is a difference). You would never hire Rush to run a campaign or plan a convention or anything like that.

I love what Rush does – when he gets into political tactics he is pretty normal.

Zomcon JEM on August 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

For political junkies on our side, he may have disappointed because we were expecting red meat, but the fact is that he did what he was supposed to do: give an optimistic speech to attract independents, undecideds, and maybe even a few Dems. My friends that don’t follow politics watched because they had heard a lot about Chris Christie, and they absolutely loved the speech.

GOPRanknFile on August 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Oh, I think Rubio’ll get plenty of people fired up.

nicktjacob on August 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I’m not all that worried about the righty pundits hating on the convention right now, despite my earlier gripes about Rush being impossible to please.

Think of the two conventions the TrueCons loved the most: 1992 (Pat Buchanan’s “culture war” speech) and 2008 (Palin, obviously). Both preceded elections we lost by heavy margins. Seems to me: great convention (in the minds of the TrueCons), terrible election.

KingGold on August 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Any positive movement in Mitt’s favorability has got to induce another Pepto Bismol moment for Axelrod and The Won. That’s always good. Now,…about that gender gap,….

a capella on August 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Seems to me that the point of Christie’s speech is that we don’t have to pander. We can have an adult conversation with America about the REAL issues. And then he goes on to illustrate how that’s been done in New Jersey.

It was Ann’s job to talk about Mitt. And Christie’s to illustrate the merits of Republican governance.

Murf76 on August 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Call me silly, but snap polls mean precisely jack.

rob verdi on August 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Okay Silly.

WolvenOne on August 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I actually was blown away by Nikki Haley’s speech. Thought it was the best of the night.

rockmom on August 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

As a group, the GOP governors from the states that surround IL. were great drawing a comparison between the successes of the conservative leaders vs. the malfeasance in IL.

hillsoftx on August 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I personally thought Christies speech was brilliant.It was done to contrast the Republicans from the Democrats and that we need leadership, and Romney is the leader we need. Great!

sandee on August 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM

KingGold on August 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Actually, the first one that comes to mind is 1980. Curious that you omitted that one.

Midas on August 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

O/T: this is why identity politics just drives me nuts! Mia Love gave an outstanding speech last night, just outstanding! Kimberly Guilfoyle just labeled her Hatian American. Quite literally in the next sentence, she labeled her African American. Can we not just call her candidate for the House of Representatives? Please?

Meh!

herm2416 on August 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Taking daily polls in mid-convention is kinda nuts. The test of a good convention is to take polls after it is over to see the bounce. Trying to read the tea leaves before then isn’t very useful.

AngusMc on August 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

lorien1973 on August 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

JPeterman on August 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Chris really doesn’t rip heads off unless someone stands up and challenges him in an inappropriate fashion. The more inappropriate the challenge, the more Chris rips their head off.

SWalker on August 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Oh, I think Rubio’ll get plenty of people fired up.

nicktjacob on August 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

He may, particularly if he talks immigration. Lots of fired up.

a capella on August 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I don’t understand why Christie didn’t play more of the attack dog role, either…I think they needed that. One of my bosses, who’s largely apolitical, mentioned earlier that he watched last night and loves Christie regardless of what others think, because he’s straight with people. He wasn’t as straight with everyone as he should’ve been last night about what a clusterfark the last 4 years have been, and I think with people like my boss THAT would’ve resonated.

changer1701 on August 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

On one hand, yes it is a snap poll, the sample is too small, and we don’t have much to compare it too since we didn’t have a snap poll from before the convention began.

Still, this is fairly encouraging. If it were a BAD opening night, even a snap poll would probably show it. The fact that the numbers here look pretty favorable suggests that it was a successful first night.

Also, it may be a coincidence, both those favorable look similar to a couple other polls that have come out recently.

WolvenOne on August 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM

rockmom on August 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I thought Artur Davis was the best, not including Anne Romney’s. He smoked King Obama and the Democrat’s butts.

JPeterman on August 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Christie needed a sharper edge, a little more real wit and more in the way of biting insights. You can make the conservative case without reaching for cliches or indulging in platitudes. Independents might have liked the speech but it did nothing much to fire up the base.

writeblock on August 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I have many many liberal friends, and most of them were actually impressed with Christies speech. Some even said “woah, good thing you guys aren’t running him cus he’d cream Obama!”

They were genuinely afraid of him because of how effective he is. So much, that they admitted that they liked him and would vote for him.

johnnyboy on August 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Zomcon JEM on August 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I understand all of this. But for all of his (founded) concerns about establishment Republicans “dividing the party” by their hamfisted rule changes, he’s doing no favors in the service of a united party by endlessly nitpicking some of the GOP’s strongest speakers.

I hope he’s not expecting Ryan’s speech tonight to be a red-meat fest in which Obama’s middle name is dropped and everything short of profanity is used to describe the president and his policies. It won’t be anything of the sort.

If he’s wise, Ryan will crystallize our Medicare arguments in front of an audience of tens of millions, and lock up the senior vote right then and there.

KingGold on August 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM

rockmom on August 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Same here. She served it up with a smile. I loved her “get loud” line.

sherry on August 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I did not think Christie not mentioning Romney more was a problem. He can be describing and selling the philosophy of the Republican Party in contrast to the Democrats’ as a whole. There are congressional and senatorial races in November in addition to the presidential election.

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Midas on August 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Rush didn’t start broadcasting until the late eighties, and the TrueCons as a school of conservative thought were still recovering from the Goldwater exile at the time. Remember, this was still Gerald Ford’s Republican party until Reagan made it his own. That’s why I didn’t count 1980.

KingGold on August 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Don’t get it? Christie took a deep Blue state that was a fiscal train wreck and got it’s house in order. He stood up to the public unions, and he’s got the highest approval rating of any Jersey Governor since they started taking polls. He’s proof that this can be done nationally.

ardenenoch on August 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM

A sample of 303 people…really AP?…are you serious?
There are more than that HERE….let’s take a vote right now, I doubt Christie’s narcissistic speech would be far from being “most popular”.

tencole on August 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Why is this so hard for people to get?

rockmom on August 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

The political acuity of readers on this site would be significantly improved if Hot Air replaced Allahpundit with you.

Basilsbest on August 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I agree completely that Christie’s speech was not entirely to us. His job was to tell the country–all the country–that in order to fix things we’re all going to have to make sacrifices, just like we have to do at home and how he’s been doing in NJ (and Ohio, Wisconsin, etc.), and that although this is what Romney is going to have to do, we’ll come out the other end in much better shape than we’re in now. People will be receptive to that, because anyone not completely carrying BO’s water can tell that the country’s in a mess due to his policies the last four years (and the end of GWB’s term 2) and that something drastic must be done.

Bob's Kid on August 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I liked the speeches..I liked Cruz and Kasich too.

I heard Gulliani talking about this and he said that the Romney people must have been happy with Christie’s speech, because they okayed the speech before hand.

I think that the Republicans are trying to do more than just complain about Obama…they are trying to make a case for themselves.

I thought Ann and Christie did just fine. And Nikki Haley and Mia Love too.

Terrye on August 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Allah – the word ‘Bounce’ under a picture of Christie? I see what you did there…

joejm65 on August 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM

JPeterman on August 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I agree. The others were ho-hum. But Ann Romney and Christie did well for the media coverage–arousing interest in Mitt and the Party, making the convention an interesting prime-time show without shedding any real blood. It was all very civilized. Ann didn’t have to do anything more than present herself as what she is–warm and dignified and intelligent–potentially a perfect first lady who would wear well for four years. The whole show came off fine in prime time–as great theater–whereas earlier it seemed plodding and dull. Good lead-in to tonight and tomorrow night.

writeblock on August 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM

rockmom on August 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Rubio would have had his own story and no doubt it would have been inspiring, but I have to agree..Chris Christie is an example of how to lead and get things done..the same thing could be said of Scott Walker.

Terrye on August 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I doubt Christie’s narcissistic speech would be far from being “most popular”.

tencole on August 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Yes dear, you are just the kind of kook pollsters are looking for.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Basilsbest on August 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Or replaced you with…a rock.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I thought Christie’s talk was following the theme of the night which seemed to be each one of the governors had a chance highlight their states and what was going on. Kasich, McDonnell, the OK Gov, Niki Haley etc… Each one gave props to their states progress. So did Christie. He got to give shout outs to what he has accomplished in his state so to me it all fit. He then transitioned into a more national speech. And framed it around a big rah for Romney. He had some good liner take aways. Esp the one about leaders and polls. Very good, Delivered well. Just like 10 people being eyewitnesses to a crime and you get 10 different accounts shows we all hear and see things as individuals. It worked for me.

1nolibgal on August 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM

What is left for the GOP ticket to do is to make the positive case for change.

What Christie did, as did John Kasich, is highlight the turnarounds they had done in their state economies. I missed it, but I suspect Walker did the same thing. Pointing out that their predecessors were acting like Obama, and it wasn’t working, and that Romney/Ryan intend similar solutions to what has worked in their states, makes that positive case.

I think it was all spot on.

iurockhead on August 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Didn’t like CC’s speech or delivery, but I’ll take it.

El_Terrible on August 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM

So America’s caught the Romney?

I guess he’s human enough after all. Either that, or we’re all robots now.

Axe on August 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM

What I can’t wrap my head around is the “fact” everyone keeps
jabbering about that there are undecided voters out there.
Somehow these speeches are supposed to entice them to vote for
Romney. I thought these speeches were supposed to jazz up the base.

And undecided about what? Obama/Socialism vs. Romney/Capitalism?
They must be brain dead and probably won’t roll out of bed to
vote anyways. If they don’t know what direction they want to go by now, after 3 1/2 years of Obama, they will never know.

I think Romney’s biggest problem is getting conservatives to
roll out of bed, holding their noses with both hands, and vote
for him. After that stunt he and the rino estabs pulled Mon/Tuesday on changing the rules, having Boehner shove them
down everyone’s throats; well, let’s just say it didn’t go over
well.

Amjean on August 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

BettyRuth on August 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM

It is not just the lefties up the food chain who have bailed on O.

Moderates generally do not listen to Rush.

They sure don’t listen to MSNBC.

I am not a ditto head.

I have to say :

Rush seems right on target here.

Every liberal wants to discuss anything, and I said anything, but the record of the current administration.

I was surprised, when weeks ago, they seemed happy with minor foreign policy problems or leaks, rather than that %$(*$ unemployment rate and the Healthcare law.

The rock star in the White House has fans who loved his road show but don’t like his album!

Now let us watch how the media takes the only path available.

Namely, destroy Gov. Romney and Cong. Ryan.

IlikedAUH2O on August 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Murf76 on August 29, 2012

This is what they both accomplished to great effect. What I thought was most striking about both speeches was the optimistic happy warrior feelings they engendered. How would a raft of bashing help the cause? I much prefer the sense of a positive future…we may have to buckle down and get things done but this great nation will be left a better place for having made the effort.

JonPrichard on August 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM

rockmom on August 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Wow….you don’t rationalize much do ya?

Gee, did Christie mention his Islamic judicial appointments?….his views on the GZ mosque?…..his thoughts on gun control?…..what’s his thoughts on amnesty or his “green agenda” and cap/trade?….what about Obama/RomneyCare? and being MIA on healthcare litigation?….or how about his political endorsements like Mike Castle?

Being as severely conservative as he is, I bet he didn’t bring up any one of those topics.

tencole on August 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM

So All Is Going According to Plan, but is anyone else grateful this thing ISN’T running for four nights?

Although The Donald in a hurricane would have been fun.

de rigueur on August 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM

rockmom on August 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

It WAS really good! I wish it had been on at a time when more people were watching. She’s very direct, yet extremely likeable.

I also really enjoyed Artur Davis’ speech, but his voice kind of freaks me out- it’s kind of like a televangelical preacher. If I closed my eyes, I was hearing a Simpson’s caricature!

BettyRuth on August 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Well, if ol Mitt loses this one, we now know Christie can pull it off.

johnnyboy on August 29, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Is this suppose to be comforting to Republicans?

MeatHeadinCA on August 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I liked Christie’s speech and I like the tone of the convention so far.

Punchenko on August 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM

It is not just the lefties up the food chain who have bailed on O.

IlikedAUH2O on August 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

That’s okay, the ABR nutballs are begging to take up the slack.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM

If I never read the phrase “baked in the cake” again, it will be too soon.

besser tot als rot on August 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Murf76 on August 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Well put. I think that Both CC and Ann brought it! Ann brought perspective on the private Mitt Romney. A generous, loving husband and father. A charitable and generous person with those who touch his life.

CC spoke about his experience in turning around a failing state. His methods are the same kind of fiscally conservative program that Mitt is proposing for the nation. CC inherited as bad a mess as Obama and then some (he followed in the footsteps of none other then the John The Crook Corzine after all) and is showing tremendous progress. For these reasons, I thought the he would have made a fine Veep choice (although I’m even happier that it’s Ryan).

All in all, the kooks have been kept out of the spot light and the class of the party is on display, front and center in prime time.

MJBrutus on August 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Seldom Have I heard such good speeches one after another…and with heavy hitters Rubio and Ryan still waiting in the batting circle. Because of this I am somewhat concerned that the staid, stolid Romney may be outshone at his own “coronation”.

MaiDee on August 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Wow….you don’t rationalize much do ya?

tencole on August 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM

You are confusing her with yourself.

cozmo on August 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Maybe it wasn’t a bad idea to start the convention a little more low-key than some of us wanted. The MSM headlines today would likely read something like, “Republican Attack Dogs Sicced on President Obama At the Start.”

Then it might be expected for Romney and Ryan to have to ramp it up, to ‘keep momentum’, which doesn’t seem their style to me. At the end of such a thing, the MSM would surely call the whole convention a hate-fest filled with closet and not-so-subtle racism. Of course pundits like Tingles might say that anyway, but there is still time for our ticket to later tighten the screws. Plus, it can’t be risked to have any of other speakers even appear to upstage the candidates during a convention, Pub or Dem.

While last night’s speakers seem to have been terrific, I’m betting the best is yet to come from the candidates themselves.

Liam on August 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Moderates generally do not listen to Rush.

They sure don’t listen to MSNBC.

IlikedAUH2O on August 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I understand that, but the MSM LOVES to pick out bits and pieces of his show and quote him. Or, just announce that “even Rush Limbaugh thought Christie’s speech sucked”. They’re evil.

BettyRuth on August 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM

1nolibgal on August 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Exactly. There was an overarching theme to last night, and it was to highlight the success of Republican governance, by featuring a series of governors each with a story to tell. Christie followed the theme in his speech “to a T”, and delivered it well.

HTL on August 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Keep er at 20 kts,bow into the wind,
steady as she goes,and keep a sharp
eye lookout,………….

canopfor on August 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Gotta ask. Canadian Navy or Canadian Coast Guard.

DrStock on August 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM

tencole on August 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Grow up. Really, just grow the f–k up. The primaries are over. The time for turning every little nit into an excuse for a lynch mob is gone.

The fact of the matter is that CC has proven himself to be a remarkably effective and even popular governor of New FREAKING Jersey. That is a helluva a feat.

It is simply disgraceful that people like you continue to mope around trying to reduce such an amazingly competent example of conservative governance to nothing but damnation over a few, token, boutique grudges. Grudges born almost entirely of taking an occasional remark from him out of context and all proportion.

Don’t worry, CC isn’t coming to steal your Betsy from you in the middle of the night (you do strike me as the type of fool who likes to name his guns after continental era females). And he isn’t going to turn the courts of NJ or anywhere else over to the Muslim brotherhood. He’s just going to keep on salvaging his corner of America from the ravages of liberal governance. Be glad for that.

MJBrutus on August 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Maybe all Christie was thinking about was improving his chances for launching a bid in 2016. I sure would have thought he’d be a little more fired up about THIS election. Oh well, next?

scalleywag on August 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Welllll people “close to Romney” told us they knew for certain that Pawlenty was the VP pick. Swore up and down the sources were right in the inner circle.

So much for leakers.

I am sure that speech was vetted… And the left has found the racial dog whistle yet but they will.

petunia on August 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I think Mrs. Romney will be a smart and elegant First Lady. It was nice to hear more from her.

scalleywag on August 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Isn’t it possible that the people who are already going to vote for Mitt are not the target audience of the convention speeches? Especially prime time?

The left has made it an article of faith that Republicans are attack dogs who want to kill everyone and get rich…

So showing that we have an understandable ideology that most people in the US agree with is important in winning the Whitehouse.

OH… thanks Allah, I have read too much negative today and was feeling like the convention wasn’t doing any good. So I am glad that there is some evidence that people are listening.

petunia on August 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM

My spell check is out again… sorry… too many mistakes to correct.

petunia on August 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM

KingGold on August 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Oh that’s what Ann Coulter’s tweet meant… she of Chris Christie worshipville, tweeted right after “bring back Pat Buchanan” And for the life of me I could not remember what he ever said that would be better than Christie.

And you are right of course… the “trueCons” as you call them (I call them other things) will never be happy, because that would give them no reason to be.

petunia on August 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM

petunia on August 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM

In a nutshell, hasn’t that been the story all along? That is not pandering to the Southern, evangelical right wing of the party. The so-called base. Mitt is broadening our party and forging a new, stronger coalition that transcends many of the traditional lines. He is the perfect candidate to find ever greater expanses of common ground that more and more Americans can comfortably stand on. It isn’t just a strategy for winning elections either. It is a solid starting point for governing.

MJBrutus on August 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I “got” Chritie’s speech, but he could have mentioned Barack’s name. However, the ending of the speech seemed rushed, and I cringed when he asked everyone to stand-up…sort of like McCain did. Ugh.

SouthernGent on August 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I thoroughly liked and approved of the Christie speech; and found it inspiring and motivating. The ‘fire and brimstone’ is fine at home, when he’s excoriating and beating up on unions and other assorted looters and leeches – but this one was a speech that was meant to show the difference between what the obama regime has done to you (and America) and what the Romney administration will do to help you help yourself live the American Dream.
I’d bet that a lot of dems watched that speech and also found it more inspiring than what they’re hearing from the leftists. Especially since – even at my age – I find it hard to believe that all democrats (of any race) are satisfied to live on handouts and scraps from their masters’ table; and want to participate fully in America.

Solaratov on August 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Well, if ol Mitt loses this one, we now know Christie can pull it off.

johnnyboy on August 29, 2012 at 5:23 PM

If Romney loses that will be the sixth RINO in a row that lost since Nixon and not a single one won as a RINO though one did as a Conservative that changed to a RINO day after he won GW (Gwad aWful Bush). GW became the worst president in 60 years. He left the GOP in tatters.

No three RINOs in a row is enough and six times they lost. RINOs should be forced out of the party they are a small minority of the actual party. But they should definitely not be allowed to be nominated for President because they lose 100% of the time.

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I cringed when he asked everyone to stand-up…sort of like McCain did. Ugh.

SouthernGent on August 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

That was the one part that I didn’t like. I saw no point to it and felt that it detracted from the speech and threw off some of its impact.

Solaratov on August 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM

There will always be people grumbling that Obama doesn’t get beat up enough at these conventions and then we have the others that want the GOP to sell their brand. I thought there was a good balance of this last night. Honestly, I do believe that there was a real effort to talk to the fencers. Knowing that people were turning in for hurricane coverage they got convention coverage as well. Of course, no real convention coverage from NBC (truly shameless) but others did cover both and viewers heard a measured and reasonable group of candidates with a real positive message-not just the bashing of their messiah. If they only heard Obama bash they would tune out. The speeches truly gave people a reason to stay tuned in. Well played if you ask me.

1nolibgal on August 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM

KingGold

Last I checked, McCain took the lead coming out of his convention. Maybe his loss had nothing to do with the convention at all.

xblade on August 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Steveangell on August 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Isn’t it time you retired the old “RINO” word. The entire REPUBLICAN party voted overwhelmingly to make Mitt our nominee. This occurred on a state by state basis with millions of votes cast. Perhaps you heard of it. It was called the primaries. That means that Mitt is the most Republican of Republicans. He is the leader of the Republicans.

It is you who futher out of step, much less Republican, and much more INO than anyone on this site. Capiche?

MJBrutus on August 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM

GOPRanknFile on August 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Ditto this from the people I spoke with at work today.

JimLennon on August 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM

lorien1973 on August 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM

No. But he did something that I rather like seeing the GOP do.

He went out, and in his own Jersey way, said to the Democratic Party: We are better than you.

JohnGalt23 on August 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM