Juan Williams: Ann Romney looked like a “corporate wife” to me

posted at 10:41 am on August 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Last night belonged to Mitt Romney’s no-longer-secret weapon, Ann Romney.  I don’t believe I have ever seen a nominee’s spouse deliver such a naturally joyful and energetic speech at a national convention.  In fact, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a convention speaker having such obvious fun on stage as Mrs. Romney did.  Chris Christie set a defiant, tough tone with the keynote speech that followed, but Ann Romney’s speech was the emotional highlight of the night.

Not everyone was enchanted, though.  On Fox News, Juan Williams missed the joy, the fun, and the love, and saw … a corporate shill in a dress, or something:

A ‘corporate wife’?  What exactly is a ‘corporate wife’?  I guess it might make sense if Romney got remarried after his business success and one wanted to attack his spouse as a trophy wife, but the Romneys have been married for 43 years, long before the days of Bain Capital.  And while the Romneys are indeed very wealthy now, and Mitt Romney was the son of a millionaire governor, he donated his inheritance and built his success on his own — with Ann Romney alongside him every step of the way.

Brit Hume, whose response got cut off in this clip, had the better sense of this speech. The Daily Caller has Hume’s entire answer:

“I think that was the single most effective political speech I’ve ever heard given by a political wife,” Hume said. “And I think to the extent that she could do it in terms of rendering her husband as someone who women who may have had doubts about him, could identify with him, warm up too — I think she did the job as well as she possibly could.”

Hume explained why it had such impact in aiding her husband’s presidential candidacy.

“And I think that a lot of women would look at her, a great many women — particularly mothers and married women and find her utterly admirable and utterly credible,” he added. “It was interesting to me tonight — it seems to me that the themes of tonight were two-fold. One was Ann Romney’s set-piece speech which stood by itself and did whatever it did for Mitt Romney. The rest of it was — you notice speakers, younger generations, new leaders, a number of them politically successful to say this is not your father’s, or even the most recent-generation’s Republican Party. This is a new Republican Party, populated by new, young leaders who have been successful, that these tasks before us can be done because we’re proof of that. We have, as Chris Christie said, we have done them.”

Maybe Juan Williams needs to start listening with his ears rather than his agenda.

Update: A reader sends me Williams’ May 2004 perpective on Teresa Heinz Kerry, a woman of rather extensive wealth, too. Did Williams have trouble believing that she had suffered in life? Not exactly:

The senator’s wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, also offers a strong link to independent older women, especially widows and divorcees. In her interview with Barbara Walters, Heinz Kerry revealed that a doctor once recommended she have an abortion because of medical problems, but a miscarriage ended the pregnancy. That personal revelation cut a clear path for her husband to the abortion rights position central to the concerns of so many single women voters.

Regardless of whether female voters are ultimately swayed by the women of the Bush or Kerry clans, one thing’s for sure: Their vote certainly isn’t being ignored.

Juan, your agenda is really showing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Hey Ed, not that I want to click on a Buzzfeed link but you have some broken code up there.

Betenoire on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Not quite sure what “A Corporate Wife” is? Is “A Corporate Wife” a wife that works with her husband to make them both successful? If so, Juan, we old people used to call that a marriage.

dirtseller on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I used to respect Juan to a certain extent. Never again….the man is a despicable progressive PIG!

csdeven on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I know this is a dog whistle for something. I just don’t know what.

cptacek on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Is a “corporate wife” the wedded version of a “composite girlfriend”?

de rigueur on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Juan is a racist masogonist.

Rusty Allen on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Think of what dinner conversation would be like between Juan and Tingles . . .

williampeck1958 on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

For fear of banhammer, I will not say what Juan Williams looks like to me.

Archivarix on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Media whines, media whines. Traffic fomenting media whines.

Not a single post about the positive. Because there is none. Last night was like this post. Full of complaining and vinegar.

tommyhawk on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

That’s all ya got Juan?

Hill60 on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

By the way, first time I really saw Ann Romney was on Fox News Sunday this past weekend. Kind of liked her. Last night I fell in love with the new first lady.

dirtseller on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

He just crossed into Alan Colmes territory. I will be switching channels whenever he appears now.

vityas on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Juan Williams enough said.

chemman on August 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Juan Williams seems like an otherwise decent guy, but I can’t imagine why FOX saved his career and continually puts him on a center/right network. His comment was petty and small and sounded like a typical liberal disagreeing just because he’s a liberal.

The contrast between Ann Romney and Michelle/Hillary is stark. I hope the women of this country can see the difference.

cajunpatriot on August 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

But if Rush had said that Michelle Obama looks like a community organizer wife, all hell would have broken loose.

vcferlita on August 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Great speech by Ann, she came off as a loving wife and mother. If anyone is a “corporate wife” it is Michelle. I’m sick of his nonsensical partisan agenda, now we see why he was dumped by NPR. Unfortunately, he is the weak link at Fox.

bhawknine on August 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Once again, a liberal shows that THEY are the racist, misogynist bigots.

search4truth on August 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Juan needs to apologize if he’s ever to be taken seriously again.

rbj on August 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Well, well. Seems like Williams has sunk to a new low. What’s wrong with a woman being married to a business man, staying home to raise children, and getting involved in life on a community level? Gee, I wonder if Moochelle has the same background? Oh, that’s right, she was hired at a staggering salary for a special job that disappeared when she left. Maybe Obama is a corporate husband then???

chai on August 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Wjat? Is it now a Sin according to Juan Williams for a woman to marry a Man that works in the private sector?

Isn’t Juan Williams wife a Corporate wife herself then?

Varchild on August 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Double facepalm, Juan. Bad show of liberal bile spewing. Jealous much? Ann has already been a first lady and you know shes going to be the next first lady of the US. I love it when liberal heads explode.

Philly on August 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I’m not trying to turn this into a Sarah Palin thread, I swear it, but I’d say Sarah also seemed to be having a lot of “obvious fun on stage” during her 2008 convention speech.

(And she wasn’t afraid to mention Teh One’s name, which seems to be an overriding fear of the politician speakers so far at this year’s convention.)

Right Mover on August 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I thought it was charming when she described their humble beginnings. Sure, he had an upper-middle-class (or higher) upbringing. But it sounds as if Romney’s parents and her parents required them to start at Square One.

Juan’s seething resentment is unbelievable. He’s become Obama II as far as my TV remote goes.

Is Juan so envious that he can’t see how much Romney has accomplished? And, something else, doesn’t Romney embody that expression to whom much is given, much is required? Romney has been extraordinarily blessed, but I don’t see where he’s squandered his blessings.

BuckeyeSam on August 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Like a bad case of indigestion, I used to tolerate Juan Williams–key words–”used to”. Done, and Fox should be too.

hillsoftx on August 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Now now, Juan, you wouldn’t be a bigoted racist, would you?

RobertMN on August 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Juan Williams — Stereotype peddler and bigot.

Tell us, Juan, what would Ann have to do to not look like your stereotypical “corporate wife”?

farsighted on August 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Juan tried to play the class warfare card, but picked the worst terminology imaginable. And Megyn Kelly brilliantly lured him into a trap by asking him to define “corporate wife”. Juan’s response was just more fuel on the fire.

I like Juan(most of the time), but he stepped in it here. He needs to apologize and shut the hell up about Ann Romney for the rest of the campaign. This was Hilary Rosen territory he waded into.

Doughboy on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

cajunpatriot on August 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Agreed. Michelle and Hillary are educated professionals who have, at points during their lives, earned a paycheck.

plewis on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

There’s just no point in listening to or talking to even “moderate” leftists in the media any longer.

They are all hopelessly stuck in the 1960′s. Waste of time.

NoDonkey on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I wonder how Juan refers to his wife?

d1carter on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Ignoring the obvious racist code for “undeserving rich white lady”, I can only figure Juanita missed the part in Ann’s speech about the desk on the sawhorses, the basement apartment and eating off a frickin’ ironing board.

If you CAN’T look like a halfway successful CORPORATE ANYTHING (like corporate suit wearing JUAN HIMSELF) by the time you’re in your late 50′s and mid-60′s, WHEN DO YOU?

#dumbass

tree hugging sister on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

For fear of banhammer, I will not say what Juan Williams looks like to me.

Archivarix on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

No banhammer fear in calling a leftist troll a leftist troll, and there is nothing much more to say about him than that.

Gingotts on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

And the corporate wife comment was sexist. Apologize.

Philly on August 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

What is Juan trying to get back in PBS’s good graces or something?

JKotthoff on August 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if he says just that on his show today. Heh. Just to tweak the loony left.

Right Mover on August 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I know this is a dog whistle for something. I just don’t know what.

cptacek on August 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

That’s easy: corporate wife = cracker wife.

BuckeyeSam on August 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Corporate wife? She’s beat cancer and has MS and raised 5 boys.

gwelf on August 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Good ol’ Juan, looking at the most superficial aspects of a person’s appearance and drawing a judgement perfectly in line with his own prejudices. I though that liberals were the “thoughtful” set of society. They’re doing it wrong.

dkmonroe on August 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The left is totally bankrupt. Not only their ideas, but even their insults have become nonsensical and vapid.

Thomas More on August 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM

The successful format of “The Five” is to turn the usual table of network TV around, and have 4 conservative pundits ganging up on 1 lefty. They need those lefties around to continue to be foils.

bayview on August 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM

tommyhawk on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

And you’re so perky…and adding nothing to the conversation.

AubieJon on August 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM

vcferlita on August 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

^^Truth^^

GrannyDee on August 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM

43 years of marraige. 5 Kids. Some grandchilderen.
That is a WIFE. The integral and indispensable cog of a strong family.
Juan might not understand the concept. His beliefs do not allow for the traditional family .
JERK.

Jabberwock on August 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM

“Corporate wife”=Leftist code for “rich white woman.”

Right Mover on August 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Boy, do I wish I had been near the panel and in the producer’s booth during the commercial break.

I’ll bet Hume turned to Juan and said, “Juan, WTF was that?”

BuckeyeSam on August 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

vityas on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

have been doing that for over a year. Cannot stand him.

screwauger on August 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Juan meant to say she looked like a “wealthy white woman so she should be ignored”. What a pathetic turd.

David in ATL on August 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Juan’s offensive comment only elevates Ann Romney’s speech even more. Ann connected with alot of women last night and this was a lame attempt by Juan Williams to push the fake war on women meme. Unfortunately for the left I think this disrespectful remark will backfire.

Ellis on August 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Here’s the core problem. Envy is a tough nut to crack, and the left knows it.

stldave on August 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Right Mover on August 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I think it’s intentional rather than fear. The purpose is to look forward (to borrow the phrase) with good leadership. It’s a very good strategic move to elevate the urgency of this election to one of seriousness and convictions.

The onslaught of ads that will start any day now will certainly bring up his name, his record, his dereliction of duty and the need to shove his tush out of the Oval Office.

sherry on August 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

A new low for Juan. Pathetic.

Slightly O/T: I was on jury duty yesterday, and during jury selection each person was asked what movies and tv shows they watch. About 90% mentioned that they watch Fox News.

People from all over Monmouth County, New Jersey.

Naturally Curly on August 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

And Michelle Obama’s job at University of Chicago Med Center is defined as what?

Her job title was “Executive Director for Community Affairs”.

Is she not a corporate wife? Or is Obama the Corporate Husband?

weaselyone on August 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Corporate wife? Is that a racist and misogynist dog whistle, Juan? I wont go there because it’s so desperate, immature and sleazy. But those are the rules the left has established.

RadClown on August 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

George Romney died in the mid-90′s, long after Mitt had become a millionaire in his own right, using his father’s connections along the way. I believe a father should help his son and I don’t begrudge Mitt for using whatever connections he could. My point is that the claim that Mitt “donated his inheritance” is a bit hollow. While factually true, it’s a meaningless statement.

There is also a good chance Mitt’s father’s estate went to charity as part of an estate tax plan. If that’s the case, George Romney’s children were taken care in another way, likely well in advance.

I once heard Ross Perot say he wasn’t going to leave his children anything so they would have to make their own way in the world. At the moment he said it his son owned the Dallas Mavericks.

Stayright on August 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

A ‘corporate wife’? What exactly is a ‘corporate wife’?

In Juan’s mind “corporate wife” = rich white woman.

tommyboy on August 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

We can play this “looks like a” game all day. Juan Williams looks like a field hand. Michelle Obama looks like Aunt Jemima. Barack Obama looks like Dumbo.

How stupid can Juan Williams be? Has he been asleep for 50 years of the civil rights movement, whose singular message has been to see the person behind the surface appearance? Not judged by their appearance, but “by the content of their character”?

Paul-Cincy on August 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

***

People from all over Monmouth County, New Jersey.

Naturally Curly on August 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM

And presumably, the PI lawyers or the criminal defense counsel didn’t have nearly enough peremptory challenges to get rid of them all. I wonder whether they tried to argue for dismissal based on cause.

BuckeyeSam on August 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Hey Juan! I’ll take a million CORPORATE WIVES over your pathetic ideology of government welfare and the perpetual ineptness of fiscal responsibility.

Because of this “rudderless” administration, (no economic growth, record deficits, and the inability to even produce or pass a budget), President Obama will have plenty of time next year to fill out his basketball bracket, and improve on his golfing skills. And a grateful nation will thank him for his service as a “one-term proposition”.

Rovin on August 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I think that means white and clean-looking.

besser tot als rot on August 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Auditioning for NPR, Juan?

Bitter Clinger on August 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Juan Williams may have been fired by NPR but he is still thier poster boy.

logicman_1998 on August 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hmmmm….

Judging someone based on their looks…. Is that a good idea?

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Marine WX on August 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I take you back a few years when Juan Williams was attacked by the libs and fired by NPR for saying Muslims on a plane make him a little nervous.It was the conservatives who came to his defense and helped him find new employment.Now he reverts back to his true nature.A just plain mean liberal no different than any of the garbage on MSNBC.

logman1 on August 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

And now for a real shocker…I heard Bob Shieffer say this morning ‘that it was one of, if not the best, speech given by a nominees wife…ever.’
I almost drove off the road into a ditch…

PatriotRider on August 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

They actually only dismissed 2 people before seating the jury.

Naturally Curly on August 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Stayright on August 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

And your point is?

GrannyDee on August 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Typical Leftist racist thinking.

Yes, Juan, ALL corporate wives are white blondes. Sure.

Moron.

Daddy-O on August 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Class warfare from a classless clown.

antipc on August 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I wonder whether Juan was sent immediately to New Orleans to fetch coffee for the Fox News personalities covering Isaac.

BuckeyeSam on August 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Well, Debbie Schlussel thinks it was a man-hating rant, so obviously you can’t please everyone.

Seth Halpern on August 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

A ‘corporate wife’? What exactly is a ‘corporate wife’? I guess it might make sense if Romney got remarried after his business success and one wanted to attack his spouse as a trophy wife, but the Romneys have been married for 43 years, long before the days of Bain Capital.

I want one. They are hot, and they have these standards that are just exhausting. But, when the day comes and she’s shoveling dirt over you, somewhere will be a building or a trust with your name on it.

Plus, they are hot.

Axe on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Personally, I don’t find the word “Corporate Wife” demeaning at all, even though it’s meant to be a slur by Dem standards.

I was one once…married to a handsome, custom-tailored Brooks Brothers’ suited, “Mad Men” type, w/o all that dumb drama they bring to that tv series…bringing in BIG MONEY for the family.

These fellas work at least 12+ hours a day, almost bringing home the bacon and sacrifice a lot being away from home.

Seriously, it’s like winning the lottery!

Typicalwhitewoman on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Juan Williams looks like a Skid Row wino to me.

curved space on August 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I wonder how Juan refers to his wife?

d1carter on August 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Brian.

VegasRick on August 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

As opposed to what, an angry moocher?…

Pest on August 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

almost = ALWAYS

Typicalwhitewoman on August 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Can’t say I’ve ever agreed with much Juan Williams had to say but I used to respect him. In the last couple of months he has become a shrill moron without credibility. Whenever I am watching something on TV and Williams comes on I either mute him or change the channel.

jqc1970 on August 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I heard an implied “boy” several times in her speech.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on August 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

A pathetic attempt to marginalize Ann. She gave a very resonate, effective speech. They were afraid of that. She delivered, so they now must destroy the image she created as a wonderful, caring, wife & mother. She also effectively told Mitt’s story. And the line about Mitt not wanting to talk about how much he does for others b/c it is a privilege not a political talking point was brilliant!!

Juan was channeling the fear the left now has about Ann Romney.

JAM on August 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Just googled “democrat shill” and it said – “see: Juan Williams”

runner on August 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Seth Halpern on August 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Just read that article.

O
M
G

GrannyDee on August 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

When Juan Williams was first “canned” by NPR and FOX picked him up, he expressed how grateful he was that it was his “conservative” friends that stood by him. How quickly people forget.

mapstone55 on August 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

And your point is?

GrannyDee on August 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Romney = BAD!, obambi = “wets his pants”
Thats about it for these morons.

VegasRick on August 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

vityas on August 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

…he lost it a while ago…unless he’s on the tube with M K Ham or one of our other girls…I mute the screen so I don’t break it.

KOOLAID2 on August 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM

That was hands-down the best speech ever given
By a candidates spouse. And just like MSNBC, Juan is terrified of he world seeing that we have wonderful women, like Ann and Mia Love, and men like Artur Davis devoted to republican principles.

Rusty Allen on August 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM

If someone said the same thing about Michelle Obama they would be called racist. I usually respect Juan’s opinion but what a stupid remark. He should remember that when the NPR issues went down the Right were the only ones that had his back.

jrfromdallas on August 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Juan really stepped in it.

I have seen Ann many times and I think I’ve seen her better. But apparently for those who haven’t seen her much she made a huge impression.

So I think it only gets better for her from here.

The Romney’s get better with time. The exact opposite of the Obama’s. I cringe when Michelle speaks now, I used to be okay with her.

petunia on August 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

And your point is?

GrannyDee on August 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Romney = BAD!, obambi = “wets his pants”
Thats about it for these morons.

VegasRick on August 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Referring to them as “morons” is being much too kind, my friend.

GrannyDee on August 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Sorry about screwing up the first video link. I fixed it now.

Ed Morrissey on August 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Whenever Juan comes on, I hit the remote. Dish soap commercials on another channel are more interesting.

tnarch on August 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM

OK Juan, so you’re a hack and a tool.
Your mother must be so proud.

Kenosha Kid on August 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM

How should she have dressed, Juan? In a vagina outfit? In a baggy denim dress with hairy legs and Birkenstockers?

I do think her speech would have been better without the girl power stuff because it feeds into tiresome gender wars but other than that it was superb.

Buy Danish on August 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

To Williams, “corporate wife” = Miss Daisy.

TXUS on August 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Juan slipped into his BET mode.He knew it was a knockout speech but couldn’t resist his little degrade comment.

docflash on August 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

And your point is?

GrannyDee on August 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The point is always something nonsensical…

If wealthy parents use their money, influence, and connections to help their own children, that’s bad.

However, if wealthy people use their money, influence, and connections to help the children of complete strangers, that’s good.

That more or less randomly picked children of strangers are more worthy of the help wealthy people can provide than their own children actually makes sense to some people.

Of course, the real point of this line of socialist “reasoning” is that personal “wealth” is unfairly distributed and a symptom of socially injustice, and that using it for the benefit of friends and family is even more socially unjust.

farsighted on August 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Juan senses that Dear Leader is in trouble. He seemed to blurt this out almost in retaliation. Take a deep breath Juan, it is going to be a rough ride for you through November.

d1carter on August 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Juan Williams is just one of many many black American racists. He tries not to show his hatred of whites, but it consumes him so that he cannot. Probably went to Rev. Wright’s School of Pure Hatred

Karmi on August 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

What resonates most from Williams’ comment is that it’s obvious he decided that this would be his takeaway from her speech before she even began to deliver it.
Nothing she could have said would have swayed him from his preconceived notion about this rich white woman.

Right Mover on August 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

He and the fat man on The Five are why I watch less Fox News. I don’t need balance.

FireBlogger on August 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM