Consumer confidence drops to 2012 low

posted at 12:41 pm on August 28, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

How do voters feel about the economy?  Why not ask consumers in general?  According to Reuters, consumer confidence dropped sharply to its lowest level in nine months — while its analysts had actually expected an increase:

U.S. consumer confidence unexpectedly weakened in August to its lowest in nine months as Americans turned more pessimistic about the short-term outlook, according to a private sector report released on Tuesday.

The Conference Board, an industry group, said its index of consumer attitudes fell to 60.6 from a downwardly revised 65.4 the month before. Economists had expected an increase to 66, according to a Reuters poll.

It was the lowest level since November. July was originally reported as 65.9.

The biggest decline came in the outlook for the future rather than the present situation.  The outlook on job creation was slightly pessimistic as well:

The expectations index tumbled to 70.5 from 78.4, while the present situation index edged down to 45.8 from 45.9.

Consumers’ labor market assessment was mixed. The “jobs hard to get” index eased to 40.7 percent from 41 percent but the “jobs plentiful” index also declined to 7 percent from 7.8 percent.

Last week’s Gallup report showed unemployment increasing in August in both unadjusted and seasonally-adjusted numbers.  Both have risen since June, and the survey predicts a BLS number at the end of next week — the morning after Barack Obama formally accepts his party’s nomination — that ticks up to 8.4% unemployment.  This could be an indicator that consumers have begun to feel a job contraction, or just that worries have increased about prospects for job creation for the rest of this year.

Needless to say, this comes at a bad time for Obama and his re-election efforts.  Falling confidence means that he will need to avoid talking about the economy, which he has all summer long, and which is probably contributing to his slide in the polls.  Obama has yet to articulate a second-term economic policy, which by default leaves voters with the impression that they can expect more of the same stagnation Obamanomics has produced over the last three years of “recovery.”  Those are the policies which have eroded middle-class incomes by more than $4,000 since Obama took office and down more than $2,500 since June 2009, as the Wall Street Journal reported last week:

In January 2009, the month President Obama entered the Oval Office and shortly before he signed his stimulus spending bill, median household income was $54,983. By June 2012, it had tumbled to $50,964, adjusted for inflation. (See the chart nearby.) That’s $4,019 in lost real income, a little less than a month’s income every year.

Unfair, you say, because Mr. Obama inherited a recession? Well, even if you start the analysis when the recession ended in June 2009, the numbers are dismal. Three years after the economy hit its trough, median household income is down $2,544, or nearly 5%.

Add the authors: “The overall decline since June 2009 was larger than the 2.6 percent decline that occurred” during the recession from December 2007 to June 2009. For household income, in other words, the Obama recovery has been worse than the Bush recession.

Small wonder consumers give Obama’s recovery a vote of no-confidence today.  Voters will probably do the same in November, unless Obama starts talking about significant changes to Obamanomics in a second term — which would be a tacit admission of failure, which is why Team Obama spends its time talking about abortion and contraception these days.

Update: Maybe Team Obama will start promoting Rasmussen polls now.  Their latest look at consumer confidence reports the exact opposite:

The Rasmussen Consumer Index, which measures consumer confidence on a daily basis, rose five points on Tuesday to 87.6, the highest level measured since July 8.  Consumer confidence is up eight points from a week ago, seven points from a month ago, but is still down four points from three months ago.

The Rasmussen Investor Index gained three points on Tuesday.  At 91.7, investor confidence is up three points from a week ago, nine points from a month ago, but is down 11 points from three months ago.

Thirty-one percent (31%) of consumers say the U.S. economy is getting better these days, a view shared by 30% of investors.  Among consumers, 52% feel economic condition in the country are getting worse, as do 56% of investors.

Well, that’s certainly unexpected.

Update II: Actually, unemployment is already 8.3%, so I changed the reference to a potential increase to 8.4% above.

Comments

Unexpectedly.

bgibbs1000 on August 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

No surprise here…

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I went to Walmart for some tomatoes, I was aghast! On the vine toms were close to $5 a pound and reg toms were close to $4… prices are skyrocketing…

So obviously comsumer confidence is down…

What is O gonna do about this? Not a dam thing… if they got there wish for $10 a gal gas, can you imagine the cost of food then? let alone thinking of the cost of anything else…

As far as food prices go, we ain’t seen nothing yet…

Beans n Rice for me…

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“one term proposition ”
Right, Barry ?

Jabberwock on August 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

eh, who cares that the economy sucks and no one has any confidence for the future. Didn’t you hear Obama is black you racists and he’s just too damn cool to be voted out.

gsherin on August 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Shouldn’t Consumer Confidence and Communism be mutually exclusive terms?

OhEssYouCowboys on August 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

“Unexpectedly” turns up in a lot of economic news stories these days.

Bitter Clinger on August 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Five points overnight?

Dude, something has been up with Rasmussen lately. They keep showing the opposite of everybody else. Also, that’s a friggin sharp spike, and I just don’t buy that many people suddenly feeling good about the economy for no discernible reason.

WolvenOne on August 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM

So obviously comsumer confidence is down…

As far as food prices go, we ain’t seen nothing yet…

Beans n Rice for me…

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’m eating a lot less meat these days.

Bitter Clinger on August 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

So when will all this bad news show up in the polling? Even Rassmussen has Uh One up 47 to 45. I know the only poll that really matters is on November 6th (or 2nd, if MOO says it is).

AubieJon on August 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I’m eating a lot less meat these days.

Bitter Clinger on August 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Good you should, and drive less too, and consume less…Remember, “Live Simply, so others might simply live….”

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

My consumer confidence remains low… no major purchases… my company still has people laid off across the USA…

I’m waiting for some good news on NO-vember 7th… until then, SPENDING LOCKDOWN…

Khun Joe on August 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Needless to say, this comes at a bad time for Obama and his re-election efforts. Falling confidence means that he will need to avoid talking about the economy, which he has all summer long, and which is probably contributing to his slide in the polls.

..needless to say, there have been a LOT of things that have come at a bad time for Obama. But if you are a Marxist/Leninist/Socialist who is an utter business nincompoop and who hires his posse from the faculty lounges of ivory tower institutions and wanders around in a fog for four years, then life comes to resemble an interminable sh!tstorm of stuff like this.

The War Planner on August 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You can thank your local enviro-nazi and the 9th circuit court for shutting down California’s Central valley for that. 70 percent of America’s fresh produce was grown in California’s Central Valley until the water was shut off to protect a 3 inch long bait fish.

SWalker on August 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Five points overnight?

WolvenOne on August 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM

What 5 points overnight?

Ir is Barry +2 today, vs +3 yesterday. Ras tracking averages over the past 3 days. If there was an outlier towards Friday, it could well be compounded by the so call weekend Dem skew. Let see what it looks like by mid week (Wed/Thur).

bayview on August 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

The extensions to unemployment are just now running out.
It’s possible that if enough of these folks fall off, the unemployment number will drop.

J_Crater on August 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I’m eating a lot less meat these days.

Bitter Clinger on August 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Look, have you ever heard of standing in queues … for meat?

Utopia is milk and bread lines, and every other month … cheese.

I wish that some of you people would get with the program. You’re standing [pun intended] in the way of Utopia.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Start of the semester meeting today — fewer students in school, but luckily no plans for more layoffs. Yet.

And with food prices rising, I’m not buying much these days.

rbj on August 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 12:50

Yep-prices on everything are up^^^^ and out of control.. and people are making less.. if they even have a job.
that = zero confidence.

I also see that they are predicting because of the droughts this summer..on crop- expect meats,poultry ect..to spike this year too.

I am on a tight budget and only splurge occasionally. That is just to get by. My cost for doing business has also increased. Just making overhead.

None of us are alone. Everyone is feeling the pain..as as mentioned above-zero is talking about abortion. Yeah, thats a winner.
You cant afford a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk but we are just so upset that Fluck cant afford her BC. Yeah..we all give a $$$$.

bazil9 on August 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

“Equality” means we will all be doing without – TOGETHER!

This is Utopia!

OhEssYouCowboys on August 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Bitter Clinger on August 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Also gave up meat, for health reasons, and yes, I do feel better for it!

SWalker on August 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Oh yes, that ticked me off sooo much! The greenies have to go… I was appalled to see the pics of the desolation, good food prducing area turned back to desert, a dust bowl…

And that explains why my toms now coming from mexico!…

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM

rbj on August 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

University? I’m curious, because I’m wondering when the bottom will fall out, on being able to afford to go to college.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

SWalker on August 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Yeah, growing up near there..we had beautiful produce-fantastic. Amazing produce stands.
Now I get to buy a small stale artichoke from S America for 4.00.
Yee Haw.
Over the bait fish…mind blowing.

bazil9 on August 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

WolvenOne on August 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM

What 5 points overnight?

bayview on August 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

..bayview is right, Wolven. Raz DT leads and is a three-day rolling average. Be concerned if it is consistently Obama +3-4 in mid-October.

Don’t think it’s gonna happen.

The War Planner on August 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

How has Rasmussen tracked relative to the other consumer confidence indices in the past?

AZfederalist on August 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Doesn’t matter……..

45% automatic re-elect number for the DOTUS.

PappyD61 on August 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I’m getting more confident because there is a good chance Obama will be defeated. Maybe that can explain Rasmussen’s poll.

Wigglesworth on August 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

And that explains why my toms now coming from mexico!…

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM

A lot of produce at my store is from either mexico or a country in S America. Not fresh and expensive.
One very small container of blueberries at my local market last week-. 4.99 and from Peru. I love fresh berries but no longer buy them.

bazil9 on August 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Yeah great news for Obama re-election… ( A delusional liberal)…

mnjg on August 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I’m assuming that vodka sales are going to be going up.

That IS the legacy of Utopia, ya know.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Tracking poll is mostly useful to look at trends. Rasmussen and Gallup essentially showed that there is not a clear and large diverging trend for the last while. Gallup has Romney up 1 in the last 2 days, unlike Rassmussen’s flip to a slight Barry edge since about last Friday.

bayview on August 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Doesn’t matter..

45% automatic reDE-elect number for the DOTUS.

PappyD61 on August 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

..FIFY. Under 48% is doom for sitting POTUSes.

The War Planner on August 28, 2012 at 1:09 PM

bazil9 on August 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Oh yeah… everything about O and what he stands for really irks my ire!! My ire doesn’t like being irked…

I try so hard to eat healthy, and take care of myself, but it gets harder and harder, cuz all the fresh food prices are going, like you said, out of control!

If I lived in a house, I’d darn sure have a garden…

As for the Fluke character, I like you, don’t give a ‘Rats a**!!

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I’m eating a lot less meat these days.

Bitter Clinger on August 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

…and then!…some people need to sh!t more!…since that’s all they have for brains!

KOOLAID2 on August 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Doesn’t matter……..

45% automatic re-elect number for the DOTUS.

PappyD61 on August 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I’d put it at 49% – automatic – every election. And that % might rise.

We’re on the abyss.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Pfffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

KOOLAID2 on August 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Right on K!!

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Doesn’t matter……..

45% automatic re-elect number for the DOTUS.

PappyD61 on August 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Even if the DEVIL is running as a democrat he would get 45% of the vote unless there is a strong third party candidate… The same goes for a Republican…

mnjg on August 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

bazil9 on August 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

If I lived in a house, I’d darn sure have a garden…

As for the Fluke character, I like you, don’t give a ‘Rats a**!!

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

It does more then irks my ire..:) but I will refrain from saying.

yeah..isnt it hilarious! Eat healthy, all these obese people-Moochelles mission and the food police.. blah blah blah..Hell you cant afford to. Its hamburger and baloney now.

“I like you, don’t give a ‘Rats a**!!” LOL..YEP.

bazil9 on August 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM

What 5 points overnight?

bayview on August 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Its not just that. It’s that bizarre Missouri poll from last week, the odd jump in consumer confidence, and the additional snap shop polls they released over the weekend that amongst other things, showed Romney doing better when Gary Johnson was included in the polling, or for that matter the sudden and unexplained surge in Obama Job Approval starting about two weeks ago.

My leading theory is that starting two weeks ago they changed their model to better match the competitions numbers, but that they haven’t yet smoothed the bumps out of said new model.

Makes more sense than being ahead 3-4 points at the beginning of August to down 2 now, anyway.

WolvenOne on August 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM

bazil9 on August 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I know exactly where you coming from bazil9… we both feel the ‘pain’…

Long gone are the ‘glory days’ of home grown produce… grown in America…

Being on a fixed income, every penny has to count and stretch!

Even the food at the local Farmers market is a joke, little is locally grown but imported… and what is on sale, quite frankly looks terrible…

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Pfffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

KOOLAID2 on August 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Right on K!!

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I believe we know who is going to the uh…”Camps” when the time comes don’t we?

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I think we may need to return to the days of the Victory garden and communal gardening to be able to get real fresh home grown food!

No, I am not that old yet! But I remember my Grandparents talking about that…

Back home, we always had a huge fruit n veg garden, n Dad hunted…

I worked many a long evening and weekends in it, weeding n hoeing.

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

You are a joke and not worth taking the time to respond except to say this, “On yer bike matey”!

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I will ask as someone did before, how does this Rasmussen poll track witht he more conventionally quoted Consumer Board poll?

This is the first I’ve heard of it and I think of myself as a political junkie.

There’s a health care facility in my state touting it’s “national ranking.” It turns out the national ranking is in CUSTOMER SERVICE and the ranking by fly-by-night ranking service they paid for…so is this Rasmussen thing akin to that?

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Trafalgar, I understand your line of thinking, but if the campaign is trying to spotlight what America has always stood for, Reagan and his optimism for our country after some very dark days still speaks to many, and Clint Eastwood as an American icon does as well. I have no idea who it will actually be, though.

poli-nana on August 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

oops. wrong thread…. don’t know how that happened.

poli-nana on August 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Do you even practice what you preach? Just sayin’ tho you can say you do… I DO NOT and WILL NOT believe you…

Camps indeed… pfffffffffffffttttttttttttttttt!!

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Beans n Rice for me…

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

LOL. I am in the process of vacuum sealing 100 lbs of beans and 50 lbs of rice into smaller lots for use this winter. I buy the beans in 25 lb bags and the rice in 12.5 lb bags.

You must live in one of those high cost of living states. I went to Walmart yesterday for weekly shopping and on the vine tomatoes were $1.98 per pound.

chemman on August 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Oh Scrumpy humour-challenged you are….any way who’s to say I don’t half-starved TEA Party dissident on a bike generator pedaling away to power my postings?

JFKY on August 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

No, I am not that old yet! But I remember my Grandparents talking about that…

Back home, we always had a huge fruit n veg garden, n Dad hunted…

I worked many a long evening and weekends in it, weeding n hoeing.

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I tried to grow a garden this year, but oh my god, I just could not keep the local rabbits out of it. When I say the ate everything the second it sprouted I am not kidding. It was unreal, like a swarm of locust had descended on my little garden.

SWalker on August 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

The number came in well below expectations; the University of Michigan consumer sentiment survey is due to be released on Friday, and it is expected to hold steady from the July number, so that report may confirm or contradict today’s number. Tomorrow’s GDP number will be more important, and it is expected to show about 1.7% growth for 2Q12 … we’ll see. Meanwhile, the markets are flat, waiting to see what happens in Jackson Hole … still waiting for that late Summer selloff?

TouchdownBuddha on August 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

SWalker on August 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I had that happen last year. We planted two times and lost both crops. I finally build a cage around my raised beds for the third planting to keep the rabbits out. I plan to build additional cages for next season and expand my raised beds. I cut one sidewall out of old big rig tires and use them for raised beds.

chemman on August 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I worked many a long evening and weekends in it, weeding n hoeing.

Scrumpy on August 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Scrumpy:

I also remember eating peas/strawberries,from my grandparents
backyard garden,and come to think of it,almost all backyards had
gardens!:)

canopfor on August 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM

US Consumer Confidence Tumbles to 9-Month Low
=============================================

Another new low,as it tumbles down into
the Hopey Abyss!

canopfor on August 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Anyone who even seriously considers reelecting this socialist moron should be offered a free ticket to Venezuela if they renounce their citizenship. It would be a complete abuse of the voting privilege.

Adjoran on August 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Maybe those ‘welfare queens’ (regardless of race !!) will start noticing that they can’t get their nails done AND buy lobster anymore !! Good God, NOES !!
What WOULD they have to give up before it all sinks in ??

Now, THAT might make a difference on Nov 6 !!

Only semi-kidding.
Sigh.

pambi on August 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Obama has yet to articulate a second-term economic policy

Easy, there isn’t any. Barry has no other “plan”. Socialist truth is the only truth. Even if it’s not working. Then it’s ALWAYS the fault of others.

GarandFan on August 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

SWalker on August 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

chemman on August 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Yea, that’s what I’m going to have to do next year. This year I spent my garden budget on fancy drip irrigation, which worked really well, except that the damn varmints ate everything.

SWalker on August 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

chemman on August 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I HAVE vacc-sealed beans and rice, myself.
Same system; buy big, seal smaller ;-)

Have also been buying alot of juice @ Dollar General (one more fruit/veg serving in hubby’s lunch) clean those bottles when empty, and use those for beans and rice, too. Handy.
When my pantry gets full of those bottles, I cook up a bunch and freeze ‘em for later .. HAHA.

Sorry, if considered OT.
Just part of how we’re tackling the danged consumer prices, of late.

pambi on August 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

It’s going to be really amazing seeing the debate hosts try to completely skip talking about the economy…

Tuari on August 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

If you are in the midwest with non-drought impacted crops you can still find nice produce locally grown and in the supermarkets. If you are out west, probably not.

I have had a garden for years – makes for nice summer eating and cans of tomatos and salsa throughout the winter. If I had the time I could make it bigger and harvest even more.

I would recomend it – along with a few fruit trees.

Zomcon JEM on August 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

If you use mylar bags and oxygen absorbers you won’t need a vacuum sealer and the food will stay fresher longer.

100# bags of rice & beans will go nicely into Homer buckets and can be tucked away for 10 years (though if Bammy gets elected again, you will probably have to dip into the long term food storage).

Buy canned meats while you can.

Beans Butter & bullets.

Robert Jensen on August 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM

My family is in really bad financial shape. My husband has been unemployed for almost a year. He was really counting on getting a month of contract work for October. He got a call today offering him only 2 weeks work. That’s better than nothing but it won’t help us very much. By last May I had been unemployed for 3 years (we have a disabled child that we have had to start homeschooling, so I cannot just work any hours). I was offered some on call work, worked 2 days, and then was seriously injured in an accident that wasn’t my fault. Because of a head injury I have been unable to work since and they will probably not take me back when I do recover. We are surviving on my husband’s meager military retirement pay and handouts from relatives which we don’t want to accept but we must.

I don’t see any hope for my family if Romney doesn’t win. We are in northern Alabama where unemployment is high because Obummer killed the space program. My husband has applied for over 500 jobs and has only gotten one interview. I think the fact that he and I are both over 50 has made it almost impossible for us to get hired anywhere.

sherrimae on August 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM