Video: Matthews accuses GOP of playing the race card against team that accused Romney of wanting to bring back slavery, or something

posted at 10:01 am on August 27, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’m posting this for two reasons.  One, everyone’s talking about it anyway.  Two, the sheer nonsense from Chris Matthews in this segment killed those brain cells I used to have that would have otherwise kept me from posting it.  Be warned.

I think Matthews is actually right.  Here’s the Romney campaign playing the race card earlier this month:

What?  Joe Biden’s campaigning for Obama?  Could have fooled me.

Like Matthews, I don’t really get the joke from Romney’s Michigan speech, but it’s very clear that it was meant as a joke.  That’s as far as I go with Matthews.  If debate over federal programs like welfare are suddenly evidence of latent racism, then we should end the program altogether so as to keep it from being a topic of national debate.  Absurd?  So is Matthews’ blanket assertion that discussing Obama’s executive order that weakened the bipartisan welfare reform signed by Bill Clinton into law amounts to a racist attack on Obama.  What’s next?  Will discussing the failure of Obama’s stimulus bill be racist?  Discussing an unemployment rate of 8.3%, a U-6 number back over 15%, and the lowest civilian participation rate in 30 years?

Matthews obviously doesn’t want any discussion of Obama’s record, and wants to scare Republicans away from it by toxifying those issues as raaaaaaaaaaacist.  The aromas of desperation and fear are strong in this clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

OT: President mompants remembers Neil Armstrong with a big picture of…himself!

Unreal, the limitless narcissism of this creep.

Rational Thought on August 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Ugh! So typical but should be an obamateurism!

Brat on August 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Night Owl on August 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Oh, and his response to the FB page exposes his “outrage” over Romney’s joke is faux to the max.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM

you baited me to that trolling page! it was a low blow in my book.

nathor on August 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Yeah, because a pasty white Irishman is the final arbiter of all things racist.

jnelchef on August 27, 2012 at 1:06 PM

you baited me to that trolling page! it was a low blow in my book.

nathor on August 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

How old are you? 12?

kingsjester on August 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

you baited me to that trolling page! it was a low blow in my book.

nathor on August 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

LOL yeah, right. Funny, I didn’t see or click the link you referred to. My point numbnutz, was to see how outraged you would get about a website that was advocating the murder of the Republican Presidential nominee.

You failed the test.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

nathor on August 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Good grief are you stupid? You made a mistake, you apologized, be quiet.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Either English is not your native language, or you’re dumber than a box of rocks.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM

What I have read and seen here, I would say both.

Mirimichi on August 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM

The FB page has been deleted. The heat must have gotten too intense for them once news of it hit Twitter.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Well, that’s good. Nathor is right about one thing, it seemed to be a way to trick people into that other site. I’m sure real “Hate Romney” sites will take its place.

Night Owl on August 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Chrissy started off as a flack for a failed President (Carter).
Now he’s finishing off is “illustrious” career as a flack for another failed President — only this time he’s masquerading as a “newsman.” What a piece of work!

JayVee on August 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Good grief are you stupid? You made a mistake, you apologized, be quiet.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM

*deep breath*….
ok… will do so.

nathor on August 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

nathor on August 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Good job.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

What’s really embarrassing, Chrissy, is your 4-year man-crush on Obama

ToddonCapeCod on August 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Someone needs to talk him off the ledge. He’s berserk, and I have no clue why any republican lets him shout him down. Anyhow, he came off like a whack job as usual, and any rational person would write him off as a left wing nut. With that said, the left wing nuts will love him for it.

rubberneck on August 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM

“Be warned.”

Ed…

… The warning is not strong enough.

What did I ever do to you, dude…?

Seven Percent Solution on August 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I just listened to it again. Did Chris say “You’re garbage!” to Mr. Priebus?

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I just listened to it again. Did Chris say “You’re garbage!” to Mr. Priebus?

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Either that, or “It’s your garbage.” It is hard to hear clearly.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on August 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM

All Republicans should from now on call Matthews Tingles to his face and/or refuse to be interviewed by him.

SC.Charlie on August 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I want HUNDREDS of WHITE people that have had to go on food stamps and/or welfare as a result of this failed President to descend on Chrissy’s house and Rockefeller center and raise such a ruckus that even if MSNBC doesn’t cover it, the other stations will have to. The signs should all say “Chrissy, Stop Ignoring White Poor People”

This whole idea that wanting to keep work in welfare is somehow racist is an insult to every single person on welfare, whether implying that non-whites are incapable of meeting work requirements while whites are, or that all of those white people on welfare don’t exist.

I think Romney’s quip was quite funny. And if you can’t laugh at the birther stuff (and I do believe Obama was born in Kenya, but it’s pointless to pursue it now), you can’t get it out of your system.

PastorJon on August 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Even Mika is embarrassed. Sheesh.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

This? From the “journalist” who said of Obama “for a moment, I forgot he was Black.”

Sheesh, pot calling kettle . . .

BigAlSouth on August 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Chris Matthews took the bait and made a fool of himself.

Wall-to-wall coverage of Akin and Romney threw in a little ‘joke’ that made the media gasp and change the subject.

Genius.

MaggiePoo on August 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM

BigAlSouth on August 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You know, that is a racist statement in and of itself, if all politics are removed and common sense applies (I know–impossible for liberals).

To change things up, imagine for an instant how a woman would feel if her man said, “For a moment, I forgot you have been a great wife.”

Liam on August 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Matthews looks like he’s been rode hard and put up wet.

creeper on August 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM