Video: Did GEICO fire spokesman for criticizing Obama?

posted at 11:21 am on August 27, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

By coincidence, I just happened to be watching Full Metal Jacket when I read this post from Noel Sheppard at Newsbusters.  R. Lee Ermey, who delivered a masterful — and mostly improvised — performance as a Vietnam-era Marine Corps drill instructor in the film has built an impressive career with his tough-as-nails persona, including a memorable GEICO commercial as a less-than-sympathetic counselor.  TMZ caught up with Ermey at an airport, and he says that GEICO fired him shortly afterward for criticizing Barack Obama:

After being asked about his GEICO commercial wherein he played a psychiatrist calling his patient a “jackwagon,” Ermey said, “GEICO fired me because I had, I wasn’t too kind about speaking with the, about the administration, so the present administration. So they fired me.”

“So they fired you because of political reasons?” asked the TMZ representative.

“Yeah,” Ermey answered. “If you’re a conservative in this town, you better watch out.”

Noel dug up what appears to have been the issue for GEICO:

R. LEE ERMEY: I got to tell you, folks, we’re having a big problem this year. The economy really sucks. Now I hate to point fingers at anybody, but the present administration probably has a lot to do with that. And the way I see it, they’re not going to quit doing it until they bring this country to its knees. So I think we should all rise up, and we should stop this administration from what they’re doing, because they’re destroying this country. They’re driving us into bankruptcy so that they can impose socialism on us, and that’s exactly what they’re doing. And I’m sick and damn tired of it, and I know you are too. But I know the Marine Corps is going to be here forever – this administration won’t. Semper Fi. God bless you all.

Hey, it’s GEICO’s money, and they can hire or fire whomever they want as their spokespeople.  But I don’t think it’s going to look very good to have dumped Ermey for speaking his mind on politics, in an obviously passionate but hardly objectionable manner.  The ad he cut, which Noel has on his site, was hilarious, and had some potential for a series of ads that would certainly have been no less entertaining than pigs that go “Wheeeeee.”

How much do you want to bet that Ermey got fired by phone rather than in person?

Update: To be fair, commenters remind me that they fired the voice of the gecko, too, over his political expression.  In that case, though, it was significantly weirder and targeted at potential customers rather than a politician.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d think that Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann got in some choice words before GEICO hung up the phone.

teke184 on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

To be fair, Geico fired their gecko voice impersonator for his anti-tea party rant.. sometime last year, I think.

Intrepid767 on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Great American; not surprised. : (

listens2glenn on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I quit GEICO long ago, as well as Progressive. Now I’m glad I did the two of them. I don’t watch Robin Williams movies, or any of the other Hollywood leftist hacks. If only more people would vote with their wallets…

Wino on August 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Geico wants to be like Mens Wearhouse.

22044 on August 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM

R. Lee Ermey is revered within the military across all branches—not just the USMC. If Geico is going to drop R. Lee Ermey, then Geico is going to get dropped because, as many other businesses have found out—two can play the drop game. Maybe R. Lee can go cut commercials for USAA????

doubt that’d happen, but jus sayin.

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I want to do an Ermey imitation involving the Geico gecko, but I don’t think I can keep it PG-13.

NotCoach on August 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM

This is really old. People were making a big fuss over him saying that at the Toys-for-Tots fundraiser.

ButterflyDragon on August 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Now that is target-rich territory:

“CHOKE YOURSELF!”

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Wino on August 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM

We got GEICO specifically to get rid of Progressive. Can’t win for trying, looks like.

Spannerhead on August 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Probably texted him.

That doesn’t leave much to watch anymore, including the leftist trash inflicted on us by way of cable and network TV.

hawkeye54 on August 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I love R. Lee Ermey! I, too, think he got fired over the phone. I can’t imagine any of those little pencil pushers having the courage to face him in person.

Sadly, the fact is that what he’s saying about ‘this town’, the industry ( and LA is nothing but a factory town), is too true. Even the suspicion that a person is a conservative is enough to cause that person to be passed over for employment and if they find out at any point in working with a person that they are conservative, they will make it a point to fire the person, or at minimum, make them so miserable that they are forced to quit. Academia, particularly in the bastions of liberalism/progressivism, is just the same.

The industry is a closed shop.

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Just as I was reading this, I looked out my window and wouldn’t you know it, that gecko was walking out of the National Forest onto my property. This ol’ ex-jarhead can still shoot! I just love my AR 15!

cartooner on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hey Geico, WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION, NUMBNUTS?!!!!!

pilamaye on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

so, Geico is acting like Private Pyle now?

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Matched alongside the firing of the voice actor in their commercials for his criticism of the tea party, I think all this shows is GEICO wanting to remain out of politics in any way.

Love R. Lee Ermey, but is a Toys4Tots rally really the best place to be making a political speech?

AngusMc on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I hate to come to the defense of GIECO but didn’t they do the same thing to the crazed spokesman that left a vile message on the Freedom Works answering machine?

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Intrepid767 on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

To be fair – that jackwagon (the gecko guy) made harassing phone calls to FreedomWorks making bigoted statements about “tea-baggers”..so yeah, it’s kinda pretty much the same thing even though it’s entirely different.

CycloneCDB on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

AngusMc on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

T4T is a big big deal in the USMC. Next to the Marine Corps Marathon, Marine Corps Ball, remembering Iwo Jima etc etc…T4T is a major initiative for them every year.

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Intrepid767 on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

True, but that wasn’t exactly the same offense. That dude went out of his way to insult Tea Partiers by accusing them of being mentally retarded and potential murderers. Going after a segment of the population and criticizing the President are not one and the same.

Now I do think that GEICO can fire whomever they wish based on their own political biases(or fear of offending customers), but it’s disengenous to compare Sgt. Hartman’s remarks to what Lance Baxter said.

Doughboy on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

“If you’re a conservative in this town, you better watch out.”

That is rather apparent, isn’t it?! Anyone else think the interviewer was trying to bait R. Lee with that, “did you hear that guy say that Obama set up the Colorado shootings?” question? Like he wanted him to say, “Yeah, he probably did.”

But R. Lee was too smart for it and didn’t take the bait.

Sterling Holobyte on August 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

That’s exactly what I mean. Given that polls show about 30-35% of the rank-and-file military are Democrats, why politicize something like Toys4Tots?

AngusMc on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

GEICO is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway – Warren Buffett.

Yeah, I’m sure they didn’t like any criticism of BO.

Cody1991 on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Pathetic if true. I had Geico briefly when living in NJ. When I discovered they were contributing to Corzine’s campaign, I dropped them like a bad habit.

The best way to stop PAC money is to vote out incumbents and stop supporting companies who pledge money to candidates whose views you disagree with on any level.

Hooooorahhh!!

DevilsPrinciple on August 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Another reason not to like Geico. I know of someone that Geico tried to sue for an accident that this person did not cause, or was even involved in the accident.

ConservativePartyNow on August 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

And the problem with that is…? Sorry. I pretty much quit watching TV when Fonzie went from ne’er-do-well to demi-god in two seasons, but Happy Days stayed number 1.

Wino on August 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Too bad Geico can’t offer NO-FAULT Insurance to the current President.

Rovin on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Geico wants to be like Mens Wearhouse.

22044 on August 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM

…yep!…another to my list!…I have to keep a note pad…(used to be a Mens Wearhouse customer…but no more.) Not that I would have been a Geico customer…but I do like to send a message back to people on my list when they email advertisements to me.

KOOLAID2 on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM

AngusMc on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I don’t think GySgt Hartmann gives a rat’s ass what polls say.

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Spannerhead on August 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM

This is a good time to remind people that Progressive Insurance isn’t named progressive for nuthin.

faraway on August 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM

They fired the gecko?!?!?!?!

This is unforgivable.

mythicknight on August 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM

He first played a Marine Drill Sergeant in ‘The Boys in Company C’ back in 1978. His first film role I believe.

catmman on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM

GEICO – Government Employee Insurance Company.

Progressive is not called “Progressive” by a coincidence either.

I’d recommend USAA if you qualify (veteran or immediate family member).

forest on August 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM

GEICO – Government Employee Insurance Company.

Progressive is not called “Progressive” by a coincidence either.

I’d recommend USAA if you qualify (veteran or immediate family member).

forest on August 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM

IRONY ALERT

USAA farms out its motorcycle insurance to Progressive.

Go figure.

bigmacdaddy on August 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

hawkeye54 on August 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM

There’s not much to watch in the first place. Not even the cartoons are worth a look; what passes for ‘comedy’ is either trashy bathroom-humor or so unbelievably lame you could get more smiles from watching a Barney episode.

MelonCollie on August 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

In fairness, Geico rotates out their advertising on a fairly regular basis to keep things fresh. I don’t think it had much to do with Ermey’s politics as them just moving in another direction. Note that they’re not doing the “Caveman” series of ads, either. Earlier this year they had spots with the Gecko roaming different parts of America, and now they’re doing a “_____ as a / than _____ in a _____” series (i.e. Happier than Gallagher in a farmer’s market).

But with Ermey doing a lot of speaking arrangements it makes sense for him to tie it in to his message, even if it ain’t exactly so.

fusionaddict on August 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

We’re LIBERALS! We respect Freedom of Speech! It’s those filthy Conservatives who hate freedom!

Sidebar: I hate that mush-mouthed lizard, anyway.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I just got my renewal notification from Geico.

I left Progressive years ago because of their politics, now Geico will join them in my dis-approved vendor list.

Can anyone suggest a low-cost alternative? State Farm, Farmers, Allstate, et al. are outrageous.

Joe Mama on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

MelonCollie on August 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

And, in my opinion, that’s why Laurel & Hardy, have been, are and always will be THE best, in all of comedy.

OhEssYouCowboys on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I have to say that Progressive gave me the best rate ever on our little truck but we still left them.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

While i do enjoy the GIECO commercials (they are clever, have to give them credit for that), they would never see a penny of my business.

As well as Progressive…and Allstate – and not so much because of Dennis Haysbert being a Obama supporter (his right), but because they’re too GDamn expensive, especially in the northeast.

I have no problem with honest, reasonable political discourse…but this move by GIECO can’t be good for them in the long run…

BlaxPac on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Let’s go right to the default position of the Obama Cult:Ermey is a racist.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Joe Mama on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Do you have a home owner’s policy? Sometimes you can get a deal by combining.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Sure, GEICO was within its rights to fire him.

Better to lose a job than stay silent and say nothing as we lose the country Ermey mrightly loves.

My now deceased dad-in-law, who miraculously survived the second wave at Iwo Jima, would have applauded him roundly and said the same thing if anyone gave him a microphone!

Good for you, R Lee Ermey!

marybel on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

What we get when infantile and immature so-called adults create and run programming, aiming, and setting the entertainment bar low, for like minded dull-witted viewers.

Can’t be any correlation in where and from whom these people got their education, could there?

hawkeye54 on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I’ve been with Erie for nearly 19 years. No regrets so far.

22044 on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Back in the bad old days of the Cold War when GEICO was the only American Insurance company that could operate in West Germany; they would only Insure Officers!

The NCOs and Enlisted who formed the vast bulk of the market could just go piss up a rope.

Seems like they have not changed much!

Old Dog on August 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM

We are talking about this at work now. One of the guys canceled his policy last week and let Geico know this in part affected his decision.

paulsur on August 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Been with USAA for 30 years. I wouldn’t touch GEICO or Progressive – because of who runs them and what they support.
Anyone who has ever been military would be better off with USAA.
(This has been an unpaid advertising plug, now back to our regularly scheduled programming….)

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I got rid of Progressive after I found out their founder was a far left zealot and a big donor to Media Matters, and other Soros anti-American groups.

I have Geico now, and I had looked at their

contribution breakdown by party on open secrets and up until 2001. Their giving was split 87% for Repubs 9% Dems 4% other

After 2001- Contributions from this PAC to federal candidates (list recipients)
(15% to Democrats, 85% to Republicans)

Their biggest donation was to: Sharron angle-NV (5,000)
Linda Lingle- HI -(2,000)
George Allen-VA- (2,000)

Also their CEO’s donations are 96% Repub 2% dem 2% other

So I don’t think they fired him for that rant, also Geico fired their voice actor for anti-tea party rants.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Update: To be fair, commenters remind me that they fired the voice of the gecko too,,

Um Ed, to be fair, no. According to D.C. Douglas:

3) I was NOT the gecko or the main vo tag announcer.

He did this.

pain train on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM

…well…for one thing, as he turned to leave in the video above, the TMZ interviewer called The Gunny “General Lee”…not only is it evident that this knucklehead had no real idea to whom he was addressing questions, but that he also knows nothing about the military…as we all know, a Gunnery Sergeant in the Marine Corps outranks any general officer you can name….

Furthermore, the whole “GEICO can hire/fire whom they like” schtick is weak. They can, of course, but this only goes to reinforcing a weakness on the right: that the left can act up as much as they please, lie all they want, and generally act like children, but that we mustn’t offend them. “The Occupy ‘Movement’ has every right to speak”, as an example…as if assuming that what they were saying had ANY merit whatsoever. Nonsense…and self-defeating.

…so, reply. Dump GEICO, if you’ve still got it (we dumped ‘em 5 years ago) for a more local (and vastly more responsive) provider. Shop around. When you dump ‘em, tell ‘em why.

That’s the problem with Mr. Agnew’s “Silent Majority”…they suck it up. Lie to ‘em, call ‘em retards, call ‘em neanderthals, and they just suck it up. The majority of that Majority, truth be told, have more important things to do than engage Chris Matthews and Alan Colmes in conversation (pointless, anyway), but there must be some who’ve conveniently forgotten what their mommas taught ‘em about “if you haven’t anything good to say…” in the face of such rubbish. My dad taught me the male parental ethic when dealing with such people: ignore those who lie to you/cripple those who lie about you.

The left counts on our either being too busy or too polite to fight back.

Puritan1648 on August 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM

“.so yeah, it’s kinda pretty much the same thing even though it’s entirely different.

CycloneCDB on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM”

Well forgive me if I didn’t remember all the exact details. We can’t all be perfect like you.

Intrepid767 on August 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM

And the link for Geico’s donations on Open Secrets

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Do you have a home owner’s policy? Sometimes you can get a deal by combining.
Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Cindy, you’re absolutely correct. My husband shopped it and Liberty Mutual gave us the best deal on a combined policy.
No more GEICO and no more Progressive either.

marybel on August 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

In my personal opinion, I think Geico intentionally selected Ermey with the intention of ‘releasing’ him.

R. Lee Ermey has never made any secret of his feelings for this nation, the Marine Corps, or his political leanings. Geico knew what they were getting when they hired Ermey.

Geico had lost the voice of their signature/logo character. They had invested heavily in that character. The problem was that the ‘voice’ of that character was so unique and intrinsic to the character.

Following directly on the heels of firing Baxter for his profane rant, hiring Ermey was intended to serve two purposes.

Ermey was supposed to appease those offended by Baxter, Geico could point to his hiring and say ‘See? We’re not like Baxter, really.’ Geico laid down a marker.

Then, when Ermey said ANYTHING political, which he frequently does and has done, Geico could fire him, citing firing Baxter, and then return to their signature/logo character, claiming that the company wasn’t biased.

They’ve done so, and the character’s voice is uncannily like, Baxter’s.

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

BlaxPac on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I loved Ermey’s commercials, the gecko is ok, hate the pig.
Love Bud commercials too, but I would never buy their beer, and I would NEVER do business with GEICO.
Seems the companies with the worst products have figured out they need the best advertising.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Anyone who has ever been military would be better off with USAA.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM

CEO of Geico is a conservative based on his donation history.

Come on people just because someone gets fired doesn’t ALWAYS mean it was motivated by politics, and judging by Geico’s history of donations I highly doubt it was.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM

The best kept secret of them all is that most insurance companies are either leaning left or stop just short of adopting the Communist Manifesto. It’s a relief to know (albeit of little political advantage since it is not widely known)that insurance companies are left wing lying crooks instead of right wing lying crooks.

MaiDee on August 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Love me some Lee. Going to watch a Firebase Gloria highlight reel on youtube now.

Anyone who is eligible for USAA and doesn’t use it, is nuts.

tuffy on August 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Good Lord, how can you hate that pig?

bmmg39 on August 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Aren’t most of the celebrity GEICO ads one-and-done? It’s not like Little Richard had another go-through, in spite of the amazingness that happened the first time.

bmmg39 on August 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Joe Mama on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Check with an independent agent and let them shop around for the best rates. I’ve always used one and he has kept it low. Maybe that will work for you.

One thing, always check each year to make sure he is still getting you the best deal.

Barred on August 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM

CEO of Geico is a conservative based on his donation history.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Interesting – but as I understand it the company is basically owned or founded by Warren (tax me more) Buffet and/or his Berkshire-Hathaway.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I loved Ermey’s commercials, the gecko is ok, hate the pig.

There are many commercials I find entertaining, but have no influence on my buying the products or services advertised.

I can tell you that the commercials that are annoying or outright offensive to me ensures I will never be a customer of that particular brand.

hawkeye54 on August 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM

To Joe Mama – If you are an AAA member, inquire about their insurance. I just recently switched from All State to AAA car and home insurance and I am making a substantial savings plus, I am getting some features that All State does not offer. Give it a try and good luck!!

Jersey Dan on August 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Progressive is not called “Progressive” by a coincidence either.

I’d recommend USAA if you qualify (veteran or immediate family member).

forest on August 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Been with USAA for thirty years, and still am on everything but the bike. When I bought the Harley, they said they don’t insure motorcycles and farmed it out to Progressive. ugh

SailorMark on August 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Geico makes no secret of it’s political leanings donating heavily to republicans.

Come on people.

This is not a close call.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Good Lord, how can you hate that pig?

Its that annoying whiny “WHEEEEE, WHEEEEE” all the way home thing….pig keeps its mouth shut, he’s okay.

hawkeye54 on August 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Anyone who is eligible for USAA and doesn’t use it, is nuts.

tuffy on August 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Fully agree. I’ve shopped around and nobody could beat USAA – and their customer service is excellent – in my experince – although I’ve been having some trouble with the web site lately. When I got hail damage (roof and 4 cars) 2 years ago, my biggest conern was they gave me too much money for the repairs.
I’ve got everything with USAA.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Joe Mama on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Direct General. They’re a privately owned company and I’ve been unable to find any political donations they’ve made to either party.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM

If you’ve got a pig in your car shouting “WHEEEE” out the window while holding a pinwheel, and you’re NOT happy about it, then I just can’t help you.

bmmg39 on August 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Geico is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, who in turn is dominated by it’s largest shareholder Warren Buffet. You’re right-not a close call.

Having said that, I think Geicois free to support anyone they wish and it’s customers are equally free to look elsewhere in their own turn.

MTF on August 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM

That’s true it’s a subsidiary , however Geico is run by conservatives, as it’s donation history tilts 85%-15% to Repubs.

It’s CEO Tony Nicely donations were 96% Repub.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM

That’s funny. Over at Treacher’s I said I thought they had been waiting to get “even” although I wasn’t thinking it might be planned. You might be right, Mr. Ermey is hardly a shrinking violet.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM

As long as he isn’t dropped by Glock, he’ll be in fine shape financially.

Not like Conservatives in Hollywood are unaware of the potential discrimination against them. I thought the Lefties encouraged independent thinking, and open mindedness!

InTheBellyoftheBeast on August 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I loved the part where he threw the Kleenex box.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Reposted from above Geico’s donations went 85% to Repubs http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cycle=2012&cmte=C00343749

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Hooooorahhh!!

DevilsPrinciple on August 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Same here. Dropped ‘em like a rotten turd when they contributed to Jon “Lose-a-Billion” Corzine and dropped advertising on Glenn Beck’s program, and let their customer rep know my opinion of it. If there is justice in the world, I’ll see Warren Buffett in orange for tax evasion someday.

Archivarix on August 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Probably waited for voice mail and left a message. What do you expect from a company owned by Warren Buffet?

LadyGator88 on August 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You guys can knock Progressive down all you want, but you gotta admit: Flo is smokin’ hot…

affenhauer on August 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM

MTF on August 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

They have their own management group. Buffet doesn’t run day to day operations. I was pointing to what the CEO of Geico’s donation history is. And what Geico has done with their money.

And believe it or not even Buffet’s Berksire Hathway gives more to Repubs at 63%

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Yep. I’m as hard core as they come but when it comes to business you have to keep your politics in check. I’m sure Ermey is ok with the decision.

VegasRick on August 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Take your business to USAA, that’s where mine has always been and I’ve never regretted it.

NoDonkey on August 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Geico dropped me over 10 yrs ago because I got 2 speeding tickets in a short period of time. I switched to Direct General and have never looked back. Plus my premiums are cheaper than they were with Geico.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM

People got fired from endorsements fro criticizing Bush too. Stop acting like this is something new.

It goes with the territory. Say something even remotely controversial about anything and you can lose that commercials gig.

Moesart on August 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I loved the part where he threw the Kleenex box.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Want to see steam pour out of a liberal’s ears? Call ‘em a “jackwagon.” Too funny!

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM

It’s CEO Tony Nicely donations were 96% Repub.

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM

OK – so just looked it up. GEICO was founded in 1936 by a former USAA executive (civilian who had limited promotion potential due to lack of military experience). Looks like Berkshire-Hathaway bought in when GEICO ran into financial trouble in 1975 and had to go public. Not as bad as I had heard – but I still wouldn’t leave USAA for them.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Just say no to GEICO. USAA all the way.

rukiddingme on August 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM

affenhauer on August 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Forgot the sarc?
I can’t help thinking to me Flo looks like Johnny Depp’s Willy Wonka character’s twin sister.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I am filing that away for future use.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I’m not insured by USAA but I have had dealings with them.

A couple of months ago my neighbors across the street were arguing. He jumped in his Jeep and floored it, ending up hitting my truck parked in my driveway.

His insurer, USAA, provided us with a rental car and had our truck repaired within a week with no hassles.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM

AngusMc on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Is an administration that targets returning veterans as “potential terrorists” while refusing to call the Fort Hood shooter really something that any American should abide with and be PC about?

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM

NoDonkey on August 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Same here. Started with them (on my parents policy) when I started to drive and have not had any complaints.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Anyone who is eligible for USAA and doesn’t use it, is nuts.

tuffy on August 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM

In the insurance industry, USAA is heads and shoulders among the rest… and I mean that literally… as in scoring 40% higher in net promoter surveys than the next highest score. They are also true innovators. They had a useful mobile app, that allowed for the camera picture to deposit checks, for at least a year before everyone else!

(I know… I worked as an “IT Innovation Analyst” for an insurance company and knew all about USAA!)

It’s just a shame that I’m not a veteran, and I can’t get USAA. :(

dominigan on August 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

affenhauer on August 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Lost a Progressive client as an acquaintance when I told him what Flo would have to do for me to get me to sign with Progressive!

Liberals have NO sense of humor!!!

Old Dog on August 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Hey Geico, “Did your parents have any children that lived?”

jake49 on August 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM

In the insurance industry, USAA is heads and shoulders among the rest
dominigan on August 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Was that just a typo I assume?
“among the rest” isn’t exactly a resounding compliment….
But the rest of your comments look like compliments.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Thatsafactjack:

You said “Sadly, the fact is that what he’s saying about ‘this town’, the industry ( and LA is nothing but a factory town), is too true.”

You’re 100% right about L.A. but I have to wonder if he was really talking about the Maryland suburbs of DC. Geico’s corporate HQ building is in Bethesda/Chevy Chase, Maryland…a known liberal collective.

Yiwen on August 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I just wish my auto insurance rates were lower – over $4000 a year for 4 cars and 4 drivers – but that’s not really USAA’s fault. One son got a speeding ticket a couple years ago so big it was plea bargained DOWN to reckless driving, and the other just lost his license due to too many speeding tickets (but got a probationary license to drive to work). If I could get them off my policy, I’d be paying less than 1/4 as much.
USAA is also great for credit cards, loans, online banking, homeowner’s insurance, and even stockbroker and IRA.

dentarthurdent on August 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM