Quotes of the day

posted at 10:52 pm on August 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

This week will be about more than watching the Weather Channel for Hurricane Isaac updates; it will also represent a chance to take the temperature of the contemporary GOP. If the schedule is anything to go by, the readings will be mixed indeed—on Wednesday night, for example, delegates will be greeted in rapid order by a video of Ron Paul, then Senate Minority Leader and longtime establishment hack Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky), then the man McConnell tried desperately to prevent winning the GOP senatorial primary in Kentucky (Sen. Rand Paul), then after another speaker a man who stands for most everything Ron Paul abhors (Sen. John McCain [R-Arizona]). You can count on one hand, maybe even one finger, the core beliefs those four men share.

The Ron Paul insurgency in particular presents a conundrum to the GOP. Even though some establishmentarian types would love to wash their hands of him, and the liberty movement’s future without its anti-charismatic leader is unclear, Republicans just can’t afford to lose Paul’s 11 percent share of the primary vote…

So the party that hasn’t figured out what it believes cannot afford to alienate any of its members who disagree strongly with one another. Though you will hear a lot this week about Republican unity against President Obama, that masks an ideological peace that at best is fragile, unattractive, and unsatisfying.

***

[I]n some ways, the Republican Party today appears more factionalized — ideologically, politically and culturally — than Republican leaders said they could remember in recent history.

There are evangelicals, Tea Party adherents, supply-siders who would accept no tax increases and a dwindling band of deficit hawks who might. There are economic libertarians who share little of the passion that social conservatives hold on issues like abortion and same-sex marriage. There are neoconservatives who want a hard line against Iran and the Palestinians, and realists who are open to diplomatic deal-cutting…

“For some folks in the party these days, it’s not only the Washington establishment they’re running against. They’re opposed to anything that is perceived as being any kind of establishment, even if they are conservative,” Mr. Quayle said. “To me, that is craziness. The party has got some real challenges coming down the pike. It’s a minority party, and we’ve got to realize that it’s a game of addition, not subtraction.”

***

Other presidential campaigns have gotten much further, then folded. But Paul’s people kept up hope. Maybe they could influence the Republican platform. Maybe they could scoop up uncommitted delegates and nominate Paul anyway. Maybe they could force the convention to a third ballot—which would free up delegates to look into their souls and vote for Dr. No…

The common theme: Ron Paul could still win, if these bastards didn’t keep taking delegates away. A group of Maine delegates walked around PAUL Fest in matching baseball caps, explaining how the state party had taken half their votes away in a series of arguments before the larger, pro-Romney Republican National Committee. It was so rotten, such obvious cheating, that Maine’s Republican governor was refusing to come to Tampa…

This is what outsiders don’t understand: Oodles of Paul supporters believe that the delegate switch-ups literally cost them a chance at the nomination. James DiPasquale, a Florida activist who watched some friends try and fail to become delegates, argues that Paul could win if the contest stretched on for a few ballots. (There has been no multi-ballot convention for decades.) “If every delegate was allowed to vote his conscience,” he asks, “how many of them really would want to vote for Romney? It would be a landslide for Ron Paul.”

***

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has a message for Ron Paul supporters who say they feel “disrespected” by the Republican Party’s delegate allocation process: You lost, move on.

“I don’t think they’ve been disrespected,” Huckabee told a gaggle of reporters as we walked through the convention center here near the Tampa Bay Times Forum. “Elections are about—you get numbers. I lost four years ago, and I didn’t feel disrespected as much as I felt defeated. You have to accept that the voters make a choice and the voters made a choice.”…

Huckabee has called Paul supporters “fanatical believers” who “don’t represent mainstream Americans.”

***

Mr. Paul’s backers here exemplified the eclectic cross-section of the old, the young, politicians, musicians and anti-war advocates he drew together with his libertarian message. And it was difficult to find anyone who was ready to move on…

Danielle Alexandre, 33, a political analyst for the Liberty Underground radio show in Florida, said Mr. Paul’s movement was larger than the man. She, too, plans to vote for [Gary] Johnson.

On “the big issues, I don’t see a big difference between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama,” Ms. Alexandre said. “I’m not one to support the Republicans or support the Democrats.”

But would electing Mr. Romney advance Mr. Paul’s message at all? “No,” she said, shaking her head.

“Burn in hell before you vote for that son of a bitch,” added a man standing nearby.

***

It was Paul’s second attempt at an “alternative convention.” In 2008, he brought supporters to Minneapolis for the “Rally for the Republic.” Tucker Carlson, in his pre-Daily Caller says, emceed the proceedings. I should say: He emceed them until Jesse Ventura spoke and started talking about 9/11, which scared Carlson (and Willie Geist) the hell out of there. Gary Johnson spoke at that rally, when he was a retired politician. Now that he was a Libertarian presidential candidate, he was absent. This was a Ron Paul show, a kind of tribute, and the candidate would use it to say all the things people never let him say. “I don’t do it out of sacrifice,” said the candidate. “I do it out of self-interest. I do it because it’s good for me.”

They say “Osama bin Laden would still be alive if we listened to you,” said Paul. “You know what I say? So would the 3000 people killed on 9/11!” That, and every sticking-it-to-the-neocons comment, got huge cheers. When America’s agressive, said Paul, “it’s easier for them to kill us over there than to come over here, where the Second Amendment is alive and well.”

***

***

Via Mediaite.

***

“I think a big part of sort of the libertarian Republican or the Ron Paul Republicans is that I think they can help the Republican Party,” he said. “There’s many places in New England as well as California where we’re not winning statewide races. It’s very difficult for Republicans to win. So I think embracing and bringing in these liberty-minded, Constitution-minded people and making them an integral part of the party is the way we might start winning races where we’re not winning races.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I’m Ron Paul and I approve this ad..

wolly4321 on August 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM

One source I read thought the rule changes was purposefully brought up at the last minute in order to get them through before people would have a chance to regroup and fight against them. At another place I read Sununu closed the meeting and left quickly before he could be approached about minority dissent. Of course, handling it that way only makes people angrier. Some in the GOP seems to have once again misunderestimated the grass roots.

INC on August 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Lol! Missed ya bazil9, I did enjoy a nice much needed holiday! Everything good with you? ; )

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Look. I ain’t gonna argue the point. I believe Tesla is AnninaCAn.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Lol! Hell fire I can’t even see those cave dwellers. Is it a funny one at least?

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Neither funny, nor smart, nor even all that interesting.

Much as I see the advantages of a Facebook interface for the site, its rollout has really proven less than spectacular.

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM

it’s easier for them to kill us over there than to come over here

That’s certainly true. Especially when our traitorous army generals keep giving them the guns and bullets to shoot our troops with.

VorDaj on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Libdie! LIBDIE!

I’m bored and these jokers ain’t helpin’!

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM

…how can you be bored?…Hot Air got racy today and had vagina’s dancing all over the place!

KOOLAID2 on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Good evening friend. Did you have a good week past? ; )

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Yes, move on to Rand Paul and assist in his limited government efforts. Rand actually comes off as coherent, grounded, and more mainstream.

With that said, someone needs to tell Huckster and Toad Akin to leave the party.

Punchenko on August 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM

You clowns want a real laugh, those of you on FB go to Coffee Party Progressives.

Talk about violent, hypocritical leftists.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Well they can ban me anytime they want. I have asked Ed to just email the request to me and as a man of my word I’ll leave through the same door I came into HA through. ; )

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM

No one wants you to leave, except maybe the trolls…;-)

ccrosby on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

MM is not posting new update on her link, but she is adding new paragraphs to the second update as she talks to people in Tampa:

This is at the very end of her lenghthy post:

A source tells me the situation on the ground and in delegate meetings right now is “tense” and “dynamic.” It’s a very healthy alternative to stale, apathetic, passive, and static.

I am also hearing complaints of heavy-handed legal maneuvering involving the brave dissenters.

Watch it with those brass knuckles, GOP brass.

This is a showdown worth having — the flexing of Tea Party/grass-roots muscle is a reminder that the rank-and-file are a force never to be taken for granted.

INC on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Good evening, B9! :)

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Hey chica bonita..(my attempt to be romantic lol)
Whats up my calinte chica? Ha!

Cuz ur hot hot hot

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM

lolz..Where is Kanye West???..Isn’ he the Democrat hurricane specialist??!!??..:)

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

AHEM……Liberal War on Democrat Women War!!

And you thought the RNC had problems!!
————————————–

Aug 27, 2012 7:13pm
Delegate Mom Fights to Open Democratic Convention Floor to Kids
________________________________________________________________

One mom, Susie Shannon, a California delegate from Los Angeles, is fighting the DNC rules so her four-year-old daughter Gracie
************************************************************

can accompany her onto the convention floor.

RNC spokesman James Davis said children are allowed on the floor of the GOP convention if they have the proper credentials,
***********************************************************

which “in theory” he said could be given to a 4-year-old such as Shannon’s daughter.

“It’s either allow children on the floor or provide child care,” Shannon said.

”You can’t expect that every single woman who is a delegate can leave their child at home in another city for week
**************************************************
and go to the convention.”

“Women are the key to a Democratic victory, and sometimes, children are the key to women,”
*******************************

Steinem said in a statement.

Shannon, who is on the executive board of the California Democratic Party, said she has brought her daughter along to every state convention for the past four years with no problems. She criticized the “hypocrisy” of the Democratic Party because while it courts women voters on one hand,

it is “not providing for the needs of many women” at the convention.
***********
(More….)

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

And I for one want to welcome our new insect overlords.

Just like to remind them that as a trusted commenter I can be helpful in rounding up other HotAirheads to toil in their underground sugar mines.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Sir, this is serious. Can you teach me to be funny, too? I tried, over in the giant virginia thread, and ended up killing the whole thread. I need help! It was ugly, don’t look!

SailorMark on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

New poll has Romney up 7 points on Obama. But don’t get too excited, it’s a Dick Morris poll.

Mark1971 on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

No one wants you to leave, except maybe the trolls…;-)

ccrosby on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I’ll never let them have their way with that. Did you have any fun with the one the other day? I had to split.

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

No one wants you to leave, except maybe the trolls…;-)

ccrosby on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I don’t want even the trolls to leave.

l4l, OK. She was as dumb as a box of baracks.

But libdie? Upper yeast side? huh uh.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Good evening!..All is well..I hope you and yours are doing well!..:)

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I Didn’t Mean To Turn You On

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I need help! It was ugly, don’t look!

SailorMark on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Start trolling. That’s always fun.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

heh, must be on vacay and sammy is covering for him…

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM
As SP would say..ya Betcha. :)

I talked to my great aunt tonight..89…she makes my heart glow.
I am glad you did and relaxed for once. :)

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Good evening!..All is well..I hope you and yours are doing well!..:)

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

We are. I wished you could have been down here with us last week thru the weekend. We had a blast! ; )

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Who is Katie? She’s that chick always heading the other way.

wolly4321 on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

AZ primary tomorrow…

all you arizonans, get out there and vote :)

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 11:40 PM

RON PAUL FTW BISHES!!!

abobo on August 27, 2012 at 11:40 PM

bluefox on August 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Did you not read MM’s update?

Barred on August 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Yes, I did. This: 9:12pm Eastern According to the Houston Chronicle, a “deal” has been reached on the so-called Rule 15.

I heard that this Rule#15 was changed to #16 and haven’t had time to check why the rename was done on that rule.

Oops, just saw that MM updated again:Update: 10:53pm Eastern…So here’s the upshot. As you read above in Drew’s summary, grass-roots activists revolted over Rule 15 (the delegate selection provision to be renumbered Rule 16) and Rule 12 (the power grab that would allow the RNC to make executive convention rule changes and rewrite the rules between conventions without any input/consultation with grass-roots, delegates, or state leadership on hand).

As long as the proposed Rule 12 remains in place, this “deal” or “compromise” must be a no-go. Don’t back down, activists!

Watch it with those brass knuckles, GOP brass.

bluefox on August 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I’m just spinning tunes, as usual. I just cued up a little Palmer for Cozmo… just in case he’s lurking. He said he was in the mood.

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Who is Katie? She’s that chick always heading the other way.

wolly4321 on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I assume you mean Pavlich and not Perry.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

As SP would say..ya Betcha. :)

I talked to my great aunt tonight..89…she makes my heart glow.
I am glad you did and relaxed for once. :)

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

89 is wonderful. A lot to be learned from her I’m sure. xoxo’s to her from me. ; ) I feel very recharged! Have one more chance before winter to grab another week. Mom’s birthday, can’t wait!

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Yeah, I know..adj in Spanish is after the noun..I don’t agree. If you have a problemo…email the tip line.

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

He said he was in the mood.

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

No, he said the point was moot.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Lemme kick the jukebox…

Protest music, 2012 style

PointnClick on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

SailorMark on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Virginia got so large..

It had to be split….

Now we have North and the original..

North is where all the fun is…

Electrongod on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

i see samuel l jackson is his usual classy self…

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM

cmsinaz:

Oh gawd,too funny,nice Intell Grab!

I’m thinking,more along the lines,that Obama and his
HurricaneGoons,deliberately steered Issaac to New Orleans
as a “Chicago Style Warning Shot Across the African American
Bow”,

as a “THREAT”…..to VOTE “DEMOCRAT or else”!!:)
(sarc)

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Well.. BEFORE he stomped of in a huff of disappointment, he distinctly said he was looking forward to some ’80′s man friendly video’s’ and he mentioned RWM’s video he’d seen earlier, which was Palmer ‘Addicted to Love’.

I was just trying to tempt him back! :)

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Ron Paul, your wife, and a speculum.

There’s something to ponder.

wolly4321 on August 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I see where King Obie even made his salute to Neil Armstrong about Obie..Really sad.. :(

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Under the compromise, delegates would be selected by the state and local level without interference or control by the party’s presidential candidate. That would allow competing voices inside the convention, both sides said.

But in a nod to the concerns of Mr. Romney’s campaign, delegates sent on behalf of a candidate would be required to vote to nominate that candidate on the first ballot. If they tried to vote for someone else, their vote would be recorded for the candidate to whom they were bound.

INC on August 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I see you posted this before I did. However, this “compromise” is just leaving the rule as it was before they changed it, right?

Now that second paragraph you quoted above, would this apply if the Candidate had already released their Delegates?

bluefox on August 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Yeah, the common denominator there is Whiteness, whether we’re comfortable with it or not.

abobo on August 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I don’t want even the trolls to leave.

l4l, OK. She was as dumb as a box of baracks.

But libdie? Upper yeast side? huh uh.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Agree, what is life without those that make us realize how lucky we are…

Upper yeast side…good one…

ccrosby on August 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I cant tell you what she means to me..if u like me..lol..charm x’s 10.
Umm..u better be charged for M0m’s Bday dang it!

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Ron Paul, your wife, and a speculum.

There’s something to ponder.

wolly4321 on August 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Thousands of men in coastal Texas apparently had so little of a problem with it, they elected him to Congress.

Twelve times.

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

They quit, I hate quitters.

ccrosby on August 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Lemme kick the jukebox…

Protest music, 2012 style

PointnClick on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Good one! ; )

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Cmsinaz- who you voting for?

wolly4321 on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

And yet, not really surprising, let alone shocking…

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Talk Dirty To Me

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I need help! It was ugly, don’t look!

SailorMark on August 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Start trolling. That’s always fun.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

…or you could slow dance with the code pink girls on the previous thread…wear a garbage bag!

KOOLAID2 on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Irony thicker than Huck;s own man t!ts. The guy about to cost us the senate and possibly the presidency over a personal vendetta wants to play the Mature Adult card? Sounds like someone’s been eatin’ tainted squirrel.

abobo on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Thousands of men in coastal Texas apparently had so little of a problem with it

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

And?

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Talk about violent, hypocritical leftists.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I liked the main Coffee Party page back when it was first created, and it was a trip. All these devout Leftists, pretending to be voices of moderation and independence.

changer1701 on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I cant tell you what she means to me..if u like me..lol..charm x’s 10.
Umm..u better be charged for M0m’s Bday dang it!

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Guaranteed I be head over heals smitten with her then! You know I love my Mom. Can’t wait to see her! Gonna be great! ; )

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I got news for you – I will be voting for a ‘rat for the first time in my life. A ‘rat of consequence, not like election supervisor or something.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Please move on.

Rovin on August 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Huck certainly knows how to make friends/ A Diplomat he is not!
Sounds too much like the “I won”….

bluefox on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM

INC on August 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yep, the establishment is working to shut out Tea Party grass roots. Mrs. Federalist has been involved here in AZ. Establishment manipulation of rules makes them look more like democrats than real republicans.

AZfederalist on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Good evening!!..:)

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Talk Dirty To Me

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

And with that~lol..obama, pelosi, reid, can we go on yeah..

Night kiddo’s. xo

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

They quit, I hate quitters.

ccrosby on August 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM

They are worthless. Turd drop and run cowards, the lot of em! Apologists!

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

changer1701 on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM

These clowns are unhinged. They think they are gonna pick up arms and kill us!

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Baby Tonight

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM

bluefox on August 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

We need some clearer statements. The first part is the same I believe. The second paragraph is confusing. I thought delegates were always bound the first round–I can’t remember for sure.

There’s ongoing news here:

INC on August 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM

North is where all the fun is…

Electrongod on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I seeeee………

SailorMark on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

man the torpedoes, canopfor is here.

Just tell us what to shoot at cap’n.

SparkPlug on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

That was Filthy talk! LOL! Goodnight, B9! See you soon. Sleep well!

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Twelve times the pork. After he gave up inspecting vaginas.

wolly4321 on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

AZfederalist on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I see your concern but I was tinking this was aimed at the Ronulans..Am I wrong?..:)

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

B9

SparkPlug on August 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Ron Paul, your wife, and a speculum.

There’s something to ponder.

wolly4321 on August 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Twelve times.

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

… or, thousands of men in coastal Texas elected him to Congress to keep him away from his practice and patients.

AZfederalist on August 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

A friend of mine sent me a news clipping from NBC while I was out. The headline read, “Astronaut Neil Young, first man to walk on the moon, dies at age 82.” Did you hear about or see that? My friend is good at photoshop, but he said it was real.

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM

AZfederalist on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I see your concern but I was thinking this was aimed at the Ronulans..Am I wrong?..:)

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM

AZfederalist on August 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM

The fat is now in the fire:

Had a great time today in Gilbert, Arizona, at a rally for Kirk Adams. It’s very important to pay attention to these down ballot races like Kirk Adams, Jeff Flake, and Paul Gosar in Arizona. We have to remember that this election is not just about replacing the party in power. It’s about who and what we replace it with. Grassroots conservatives know this. Without the energy and wisdom of the grassroots, the GOP would not have had the historic 2010 electoral victories. That’s why the controversial rule change being debated at the RNC convention right now is so very disappointing. It’s a direct attack on grassroots activists by the GOP establishment, and it must be rejected. Please follow the link to Michelle Malkin’s article about this.

INC on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Margaritaville

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

but he said it was real.

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM

It was real. NBC changed it to read correctly later.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Bmore on August 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I have not seen it..:)

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Republicans reach rules change deal to avert floor fight with Texans, Ron Paul backers
On August 27, 2012 at 7:47 pm
******************************

(More…)

And Texas Republican Vice Chairwoman Melinda Fredricks had flatly told RNC rules committee members Sunday night that the Lone Star State would stand its ground.

“The Texas delegation considers the new rule . . . an unacceptable infringement on our right to freely choose our delegates to the national convention,” she said in an e-mail to the committee members. “We realize not every state selects its delegates in the same manner we do, and perhaps you find it hard to understand what has us so worked up. Frankly, we find it hard to understand how your delegations would be willing to give away their rights.”

Republicans who sought the rule change had tried to quash the uprising by Texas, Louisiana, Virginia and other states, for fear of a damaging, public battle erupting on the convention floor Tuesday, just before the party formally names Romney its candidate.

Ultimately, they backed down.

In an e-mail obtained by Hearst Newspapers (available below), Republicans who led the fight against the proposed change said the GOP leaders “heard the concerns of the conservative grassroots voices in our party” and amended their proposal.

“This will allow Republicans of all stripes to come to the convention united and focused on defeating Barack Obama in November,” they said.

Under the deal, delegates who are bound to a presidential candidate that hasn’t bowed out of the race or released them to vote for another contender are barred from casting a vote for a different person. During this convention, the change effectively would mean a delegate bound to Mitt Romney could not instead opt to throw his or her support behind Ron Paul, who has not freed his delegates.

Any vote for another candidate would be voided and the delegate would lose his or her position.

But under the compromise, states would still able to select individual delegates under their own laws and party rules. GOP leaders agreed to remove the rule change provision that would have allowed state-party-selected delegates to be disavowed.

Spokesmen for the Romney campaign and the Republican National Committee did not respond to requests for comment.

Fredricks said the agreement appeared to satisfy Texas’ concerns.

Here is the message describing the compromise:
=================================================

Subject: Resolution of Controversy regarding Rule 15/16

To the Members of the Republican National Committee and the Convention Committee on Rules:
The undersigned are very pleased to announce that the leadership of the Republican National Committee and the Romney for President campaign has heard the concerns of the conservative grassroots voices in our party and has crafted an amendment to the Rules adopted on Friday to address these concerns.
At the same time, the revised language closes a loophole in our party rules, which previously failed to include a penalty for delegates who break their promise to vote for a particular Presidential candidate as required by state law or state party rules.
We are pleased that our party has come together to fashion this compromise. This will allow Republicans of all stripes to come to the Convention united and focused on defeating Barack Obama in November.
The Convention is our party’s opportunity to energize our supporters and activists. It would be unfortunate to squander the opportunity fighting an internal battle which we have now been able to successfully resolve and which will accomplish the goals of all parties involved.

The resolution that we have reached is straightforward. It simply prevents a bound delegate from nominating or casting a vote for a different presidential candidate than the one to whom the delegate was legally bound by state law or state party rule.

Instead, under this new provision, a delegate who attempts to violate his binding pledge is deemed to have resigned and the Secretary of the Convention will record the improper vote as it should have been cast based on state law or party rule.

It leaves the actual selection of delegates completely to state parties under state law and state party rules.

We are pleased that we were able to reach an acceptable resolution and urge the members of the Convention Rules Committee to adopt the revised Rule tomorrow to be included in their report to the Convention.

Text of the Rule:

Rule 16(a)(2).
For any manner of binding or allocating delegates under these Rules, if a delegate
(i) casts a vote for a presidential candidate at the National Convention inconsistent with the delegate’s obligation under state law or state party rule,
(ii) nominates or demonstrates support under Rule 40 for a presidential candidate other than the one to whom the delegate is bound or allocated under state law or state party rule, or
(iii) fails in some other way to carry out the delegate’s affirmative duty under state law or state party rule to cast a vote at the National Convention for a particular presidential candidate,
the delegate shall be deemed to have concurrently resigned as a delegate and the delegate’s improper vote or nomination shall be null and void. Thereafter the Secretary of the Convention shall record the delegate’s vote or nomination in accordance with the delegate’s obligation under state law or state party rule. This subsection does not apply to delegates who are bound to a candidate who has withdrawn his or her candidacy, suspended or terminated his or her campaign, or publicly released his or her delegates.
Signers:

James Bopp Jr. NCM IN Vice Chairman Republican National Committee Cindy Costa NCW SC
Bob Bennett Chairman Ohio Republican Party
John Ryder NCM Tenn.
Ron Kaufman NCM Mass.
Henry Barbour NCM Miss.
=======================

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Thousands of men in coastal Texas apparently had so little of a problem with it

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

And?

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Sounds to me like he was a pretty good doctor.

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

We got a thousand points of light. For a homeless man. We got a kinder gentler machine gun hand

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I just haven’t been the same since Tina Korbe left.

Rusty Allen on August 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I don’t feel disrespected, Mr. Huckabee, I feel robbed! Not robbed of the nomination but of my very future. The Republican and Democrat Parties are both controlled, literally, by a bunch of corrupt old generational thieves and insider traders who’ve buried our kids and grand kids under $16 trillion of unpayable debt, which they’ll have to work all their lives to repay regardless, and trillions more of inflation, and the ruling class has absolutely no intention of stopping.

The US government is waging generational war against the young in order to pay off their cronies and buy special interest votes to increase their own power over us.

FloatingRock on August 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Sounds to me like he was a pretty good doctor.

JohnGalt23 on August 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

So was Howard Dean.

Lanceman on August 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

man the torpedoes, canopfor is here.

Just tell us what to shoot at cap’n.

SparkPlug on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

SparkPlug:Lol:)

canopfor on August 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Dire Straits on August 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I think it has elements of both. Certainly I know that the Ronulans have tried to manipulate process from within the party and some of the rules changes are aimed at reigning that in. Per Mrs. Federalist, at the AZ Republican Convention, the Ronulans knew the rules better than the establishment. You are probably correct regarding the delegate rules, that’s to prevent the Ronulans from causing an embarrassing floor fight over the nomination. The changes need to be reviewed to make sure that they don’t do things to more firmly entrench the establishment against the Tea Party conservatives. I do know that rule changes here in AZ were done specifically for that purpose.

AZfederalist on August 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM

FloatingRock on August 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Yeah, we ain’t all that fond of gope either.

Especially gope-dude.

Lanceman on August 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM

There’s ongoing news here:

INC on August 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Thanks, I’m picking up on something else and will post as soon as I finish reading it, LOL I’m not trusting Romney & his Bush Atty. Levin said he is the go to RINO Atty. Romney is behind all of this and Ron Paul is being used as a scapegoat. It’s all a power grap against the Tea Party & Conservatives. This plus Romney’s “nice” comment isn’t doing him any favors.

bluefox on August 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Punchenko on August 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM

If stepping on your ding-a-ling is a reason for someone to leave the GOP then you might as well fold the party.

chemman on August 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Thanks for the link!..Glad to see the problem is solved!..:)

Dire Straits on August 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM

It was real. NBC changed it to read correctly later.

Lanceman on August 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Man, that is just sloppy right there. How on earth does that one get past the editor?

Bmore on August 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I think Allahpundit chose this as QOTD for a specific reason: the last few days he’s been seeing the comments from the other threads he’s put up and they mirror these 2 – one is from the comment section here, now and one is from AP who got it from NY Times.

If he throws this election for us……….. The ruin of this nation will be on Ron Paul`s head.
ThePrez on August 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM

athenadelphi on August 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Talk Dirty To Me

thatsafactjack on August 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Some times it’s better to run.

TXUS on August 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Canopfor kindly reports that a deal has been reached with the Ron Paul people to avert a floor fight…..

….so Don’t Worry, Be Happy

thatsafactjack on August 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Bmore on August 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Are you serious? That ‘editor’ is a product of government public indoctrination education.

Lanceman on August 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM

So was Howard Dean.

Lanceman on August 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

And, unlike some here have tried to do with Ron Paul, I never impugned Dr Dean’s medical skills.

Only his ability to deliver a message without going into a screaming fit of insanity…

JohnGalt23 on August 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I would certainly want my wife to learn about the federal reserve whilst being diddled.

wolly4321 on August 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM

JohnGalt23 on August 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM

YEEEEEAAAAHHHHH!

Lanceman on August 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Isaac Tracking
===============

Severe Weather Live Blog: Tracking Isaac Live
TROPICAL STORM ISAAC RESOURCES:

Live coverage: WVUE-TV | WGNO-TV
Weather Channel: Interactive tracker for Tropical Storm Isaac
Google: Tropical Storm Isaac crisis mapThe latest information on Tropical Storm Isaac

===================================================================

LIVE STREAMING FEED

canopfor on August 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Ron Paul, terrorist without a gun.

OldEnglish on August 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM