Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on August 27, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The task of Commander in Chief is daunting for every President, with the possible exception of men like Dwight Eisenhower and Ulysses S. Grant, who entered politics after commanding armies — in Eisenhower’s case, the largest multinational force ever put into the field at that time.  It helps, though, to learn the ranks of each of the services, and to make sure that you know in which service your top commanders lead:

Perhaps most seriously, however, was Obama’s slip in an interview with KSDK in St Louis, Missouri when he was asked about the new 22-minute film ‘Dishonorable Disclosures’ by a group of former Special Forces troops and intelligence operatives.

‘I won’t take this film too seriously,’ he responded. ‘I gather that one of the producers is a birther who still doesn’t think I was born in this country.

‘I’d advise that you talk to General McRaven, who’s in charge of our Special Ops. I think he has a point of view in terms of how deeply

I care about what these folks do each and every day to protect our freedom.’

The difficulty with this is that William McRaven is and admiral not a general. As a SEAL, he is member of the US Navy, not US Army or US Marines.

D’oh! It could have been worse, as the Daily Mail notes.  Obama might have called Admiral McRaven a “corpseman.”

It’s time once again to show our support for Day By Day and its artist-publisher, Chris Muir.  Chris holds an annual fundraiser to keep the adventures of Sam, Zed, Jan, and Damon coming.  Chris, whose artwork has enhanced the OOTD feature since its inception for Hot Air readers, uses the funds raised for only the continuance of DBD.  As always, the fundraiser has many fabulous gifts available at whatever level one chooses to donate.  If you’re thinking about donating at the Jan/Damon level or above, you’ll get a Last Supper Red vs Blue magnet, which has depictions of personalities from New Media — myself included.  Donating at the Anatoly Level will get you a 9×15 print of the artwork.  Dig deep and be part of supporting the one of the best New Media cartoonists in the biz!

And if you want something really cool …

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

Azzhat hates the military…

OmahaConservative on August 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM

we are so proud of him

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM

once again, thanks to our friends across the pond for actually reporting….

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

OT

The top 3

1. The media will talk about abortion much more than will any speaker.

2. The media will bring up Todd Akin; no Republican will.

3. The media will explain that Romney needs to be “humanized” and then pronounce whatever attempts are made to do so as “unsuccessful,” “unconvincing” or “contrived.”

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

barack couldn’t pour water out of a boot if the directions were written on the heel.

Moron.

DuctTapeMyBrain on August 27, 2012 at 8:07 AM

‘I won’t take this film Presidency too seriously,’ he responded.

FIFY

hillsoftx on August 27, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Why doesn’t it surprise me?

antisocial on August 27, 2012 at 8:11 AM

This guy’s mouth and anus are interchangeable. Same thing comes out.

VietVet_Dave on August 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Spot on bayview

Morning joe is starting it off

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM

He must be reading from dog-eared copy of your own literary bio.

Buy Danish on August 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM

This is from the same mouth that gave us “corpse man.”

He has no respect for our military, no understanding of our military, and apparently doesn’t even recognize the branches of our military.

Sheesh…

Crusader Rabbit on August 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Not surprising he wants those college transcripts kept secret.

TimBuk3 on August 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Admiral, General it’s all the same to the Won, they all wear those funny hats.

JimK on August 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM

He does much better when he just has to flirt with the “zoo crew” and answer questions about what superpower he wants or “red or green peppers.”

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM

For a POTUS to get this so wrong indicates a worrisome level of incompetence.

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM

For a POTUS to get this so wrong indicates confirms a worrisome level of incompetence.

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:18 AM

It’s almost like you expect the smartest president in the history of the world to remember something as mundane as what rank goes with what what military branch.

You don’t get to be so super awesome by filling you head with that kind of trivia.

///

St Gaudens on August 27, 2012 at 8:20 AM

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Yes, that’s better.

Believe it or not, I think the country would be better off with Joe Biden as POTUS. (At least he’s not an America-hating Marxist intent on downsizing America.)

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Hey!! When did they start handing out cards? I want mine too!!

TugboatPhil on August 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Morning joe is starting it off

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I don’t know why you would watch that, or why the practically unwatched show is being cited here so often. Don’t add to its audience count. If a tree fall in an empty forest, it would not make a sound. And not watching MSNBC is better for your blood pressure.

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Somebody needs to spend a night in a Holiday Inn Express.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Not surprising he wants those college transcripts kept secret.

TimBuk3 on August 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Maybe he flunked out??? Never attended? Whatever….he is still totally clueless…..

chai on August 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Riece Priebus (sp?) treating Tingles Matthews like the fool he is TO HIS FACE. LOVE IT.

Marcus on August 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM

General William McRaven taught Obama how to shoot.When Obama shot Bin Laden he was just a little off and hit him above the right eye and not dead center.Obama blamed the rifle.

docflash on August 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM

You got a point bayview

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM

What an a$$ tingles was just now and joe not doing a bloody thing

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Somebody needs to spend a night in a Holiday Inn Express.

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Back in Chicago!

Rovin on August 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I don’t know … why the practically unwatched show is being cited here so often.

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I’ve wondered that too. Why ruin a perfectly good day by starting it off like that. Not my cup of tea, but seems a lot of folks here watch it.

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Marcus on August 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM

What did Rinse and Repeat say to Fat Bastard?

Doughboy on August 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM

If things are going our way leading up to the General Election, MSNBC is a must watch on November 6.

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Years ago, I heard then OU coach Barry Switzer speak at a small town Rotary club. (yes, I went even tho our household is hard core OSU). He was an awesome speaker and in talking about the upcoming season he rattled off names, hometowns, weights, heights and speed stats of many of his players. I was so impressed but my husband said any coach would know that stuff. It’s his job.

tj4osu on August 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM

What an a$$ tingles was just now and joe not doing a bloody thing

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Have you ever seen such a thing in your life? Could you IMAGINE Michael Steele sitting there like a wounded puppy and taking in that spittle? Priebus should be on his CELL RIGHT NOW TELLING EVERY REPUBLICAN TO GET AS FAR AWAY FROM THAT IDIOT as possible.

Marcus on August 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Its my background noise as i get ready….dont care for the other shows….i can stop commenting on the show

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Yeah, I’d have to agree with that. (It’ll be the first time I’ve watched PMSNBC in ages.)

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM

No need to stop commenting on it. As Rush might say, you watch it, so I don’t have to.

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM

i can stop commenting on the show

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Don’t. I appreciate that you save me from watching it.

And I take what you relay here and tweak Joe and Mika with it on Twitter. ;-)

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM

‘You’ve got one who was a candidate, a Republican candidate for office. And a proud card carrying member of the Tea Party.’

Obama’s mentor was a man named Frank Marshall Davis, a literal card-carrying member of Communist Party USA—card number 47544.

Akzed on August 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Admiral, General it’s all the same to the Won, they all wear those funny hats.

JimK on August 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM

And they just make Obama think about breakfast…

Kraken on August 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM

@mkhammer This video promises to be great. RT @bdomenech: RT @mattklewis: Chris Matthews needs to switch to decaf in his @Morning_Joe

Video already up at youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-bKEDTUg8 h/t JetBoy

Flora Duh on August 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Okey doke. :)

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Wow that was quick FD

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Tingles will be praised by the rest if the msdnc crew throughout the day

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM

this is really a rookie flub and something that is completely excusable from someone who has utterly no idea about the rank structure of the officer corps of either service-ie, a civilian with little/no exposure to the armed forces. It is unexcusable from someone in command of joint forces. ADM McRaven surely shrugs it off but it does nothing to build confidence of those within your command.

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I’d read about the stoopid General/Admiral thang right after it happened.
As I was reading this post, I actually THOUGHT today’s focus was how STUPIDLY Zero was instinctively responding to the film “2016″,
after having been asked about ‘Dishonorable Disclosures’ !!!!!
Do you see what I mean ??
Had to read this a couple of times !!!
Maybe I need another coffee, but give it a shot, with “2016″ in mind .. Sorta funny.

pambi on August 27, 2012 at 8:52 AM

‘I care about what these folks do each and every day to protect our freedom.’

I just don’t care about their ranks or service branch or even their names and whether they received the Medal of Honor posthumously or alive.

Schwalbe Me-262 on August 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Are you sure???

elm on August 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Yet another “if Bush had done this” moment. This would be non-stop talking points on every alphabet news network and spark commentary on how out of touch Bush was and faux concern that if he can’t even get the military ranks correct for the branches of the military, how could he possibly be a good CINC?

… or imagine if someone like Dan Quayle had uttered those words? Full scale meltdown by the media pundit folks, full scale meltdown of epic proportions.

/Jugears does it? crickets

AZfederalist on August 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM

i can stop commenting on the show

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Was just ribbing you, don’t take it seriously.

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

tj4osu on August 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM

The pathetic aspect of Obama’s failure to correctly identify Admiral McRaven’s rank is that Obama probably could rattle off statistics for the NBA players and teams. After all, the latter are a “big effin’ deal” to Preezy.

onlineanalyst on August 27, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I went to a buddy’s promotion ceremony ~2 years ago. His 2-star general was able to accurately recall my friend’s past assignments, hometown, family’s names, extended family’s names, time in service, major @ West Point, successes, deployments and an impressive string of facts.

It is the mark of a lazy and unprepared speaker to inaccurately reflect something as important as a military rank, particularly at this level.

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM

elm on August 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Hey, at this point I think a ham sandwich would make a better POTUS then the America-hating Marxist we have there now.

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 9:05 AM

He doesn’t care about the military. First you would have to care about this country and the sacrifices that men and women who served made. He cares little about this country and the Constitution. Cheap suit and domestic terrorist………….

crosshugger on August 27, 2012 at 9:06 AM

You really can’t blame Barry for this. For crying out loud, he only met the guy once, and that was three years ago!

Once again the UK Daily Mail reports the news that the drive-by media works feverishly to suppress.

Naturally Curly on August 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

‘You’ve got one who was a candidate, a Republican candidate for office. And a proud card carrying member of the Tea Party. So this is obviously a partisan film.’

Things like this cannot continue to go unnoticed. I know that it seems trivial, but it remains a pure lie. The very thing which makes the Tea Party movement so fearsome to the Left is that there is no fixed organization, no definable heirarchy. Therefore, there are no cards. To say so is a fabrication. The progs will never get it, that the Tea Party is honest, patriotic Americans who want this nation to remain one dedicated to Liberty. We have the Constitution to lead us, we need no person to do so.

Freelancer on August 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Which came first: The laziness or the absence of respect? What matters to Duh Won is that everybody remembers his rank. Every day, in every way, he is becoming more and more vile.

swinia sutki on August 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Freelancer on August 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

This from a proud card carrying Marxist in his school days and, starting on January 11, 1996, a proud card carrying member of the New Party in Chicago.

Mr. Obama, you say you’re not a socialist. Exactly when was it that you renounced socialism and what is there to show it?

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Ok bayview :)

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Your point is perfectly valid, and I’m not downplaying it in the least. It is a point of professionalism for senior military officers to study the service history of anyone for whom they will be presenting at a promotion or retirement, even if they hardly knew the subject prior. They will spend time interviewing the person to glean some anecdotal material. Then at the ceremony, they will be able to casually reference the subject’s tours, accomplishments, awards, personal life events, family, etc.

Any officer who did not prep in such a way for an event of that nature would look incompetent and careless.

Now imagine any other president failing to properly identify a flag officer, especially one he is referencing as a source for how much he cares about the military.

Freelancer on August 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I care about what these folks do each and every day to protect our freedom.’

…Commander-in-Chief doesn’t know anything about the armed services he commands after 4 years and the institutional media is not concerned!…what does he call his admirals!…Coach?
No one’s concerned that HE KNOWS WHICH IRON to ask for out on the golf course?

KOOLAID2 on August 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM

He forgets about the magnitude of the recession…he forgets he said he would cut the debt, he forgets he was supposed to create jobs, he forgets he is supposed to uphold the law… should I go on?
The only thing he actually does remember is that he wants to be re-elected. And the country is going to say…. fuggedaboutit.

lynncgb on August 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Hey face it, the only ranking officer that has any respect for Obama is General Motors.

CitizenEgg on August 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Hey!! When did they start handing out cards? I want mine too!!

TugboatPhil on August 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

proudly fly the flag, want the card too.

Maybe if we write PresNitWit Petey at WhiteHut.ignorant, perhaps dear Reader will send us all won?

ConcealedKerry on August 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Admiral, General, whatever.

I’m the main man. I done whack OBL personally you know. I’m going to write all about it in my new book Lies From My Fathers.

CorporatePiggy on August 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Don’t forget the incident a few months ago where Obonehead had to be audibly reminded by a nearby military adviser that the Coast Guard was one of the branches of the Armed Forces.
BTW,the his campaign website’s ‘tribute’ to Neil Armstrong features a photo of -Guess who?- Obama himself in looking up at the moon.It’s always about him.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on August 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM

CitizenEgg on August 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Lol, and General Electric (Immelt) too.

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I think General Electric might be fed up with the Ocean Lowerer.
even bushels of taxpayer funds couldn’t keep GE in the tank for Dog Breath.

ConcealedKerry on August 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Admiral, General, Corpse-man…what the frig-ever.

Li’l bammie’s a Messiah. He doesn’t have time for all of that mortal nonsense.

Now pass the kobe beef, and let’s take a trip on seperate jumbo-jets to Martha’s Vinyard.

Tim_CA on August 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM

The only thing Barry Obama knows about the military is that they make a good photo-op.

GarandFan on August 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM

“The difficulty with this is that William McRaven is and [sic]admiral not a general. As a SEAL, he is member of the US Navy, not US Army or US Marines.”

Now there’s a shocker!
Oh, by the by, how would Mittens know the difference either? Did he read a book once?
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

First you have to care and 0bama does not care for anything military unless it can make him look competent.

jukin3 on August 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM

E-I-P-C F-I-A-L.

(Btw, British media, the US Air Force also uses “General”, unlike your RAF. But thanks anyway for doing the reporting our media won’t.)

Nutstuyu on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Admiral, General, Corpse-man…what the frig-ever.

Li’l bammie’s a Messiah. He doesn’t have time for all of that mortal nonsense.

Tim_CA on August 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM

That’s funny. The real Messiah knew the difference between the Pharisees and Saducees. How come our “messiah” doesn’t know the difference between Admiral and General?

Nutstuyu on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

i can stop commenting on the show

cmsinaz on August 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM

…don’t you dare!…I count on you!
I can’t afford to break screens…it’s not just the expense…it’s the time it takes to clean up!

KOOLAID2 on August 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Well, he sure is a great abettor and enabler…and he does so with great gusto.
Perhaps he’s just a useful idiot – but he goes along with and supports the mulatto marxist’s plans for the destruction of America; and he plans to profit from it just as the rest of his sort do.
Biden may not despise America with the passion of d’ohbama, but he’s certainly working for our downfall.

Solaratov on August 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

And your reference point for that would be…?

Guaranteed that, if Romney had to cite one of his commanders, he’d know the man’s rank and all other pertinent information.

Solaratov on August 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Not only that, Romney knows there’s only 50 states in the USA, knows to shut up during God Save the Queen, and can pronounce corpsmen.

katablog.com on August 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM

‘I won’t take this film Presidency too seriously,’ he responded.

Hey, Barry, you’d better take the movie “2016″ seriously. I heard it’s #3 with packed theaters all over the country. Moron.

Xyz22 on August 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

…..
Naturally Curly on August 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

…b-b-but, Barry has a mind like a steel trap, except when he forgets that he does.

askwhatif on August 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Clinton wouldn’t know the difference either. Democrats hate the military.

kenny on August 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Hey!! When did they start handing out cards? I want mine too!!

TugboatPhil on August 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Oh, oh, oh! Me too! Me too!

(Please.)

Kevin K. on August 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Off topic, but given Obama’s heavy teenage pot use, and the probable pot use of many of his supporters, this article may explain why they think borrowing more money will get the US out of debt. Was Krugman a member of the Choom gang too?

talkingpoints on August 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM