GM to shut down Chevy Volt plant for four weeks — for the second time this year

posted at 8:36 pm on August 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

They’ve already sold many more units this year than they did last year, thanks in large part to a little help from the California legislature. Not only do you get to use car-pool lanes there if you’re driving a Volt, you get a $1,500 state rebate on top of your $7,500 federal tax credit. Don’t underestimate government’s ability to make this overpriced novelty popular by piling incentive upon incentive to induce you to buy it. All Congress needs to do is pass a law granting the Volt a special speed-limit exemption on the interstate and GM might be viable again.

As for now, though, even with the increase lately, the company still can’t sell enough cars to justify running the plant all year round:

GM will close its Detroit-Hamtramck plant from Sept. 17 until Oct. 15, one of the sources said. Union representatives last week told the plant’s roughly 1,500 workers about the scheduled downtime, the source said…

Volt demand has picked up this year, after sales last year fell short of GM’s goals. GM sold 10,666 Volts through July, more than triple the 2,870 sold during the same period a year earlier.

GM executives have attributed the sales increase to strong demand for a low-emissions version of the Volt that qualifies for California’s coveted carpool lanes, which GM launched in March. Previous versions of the Volt didn’t qualify.

Volt inventories have been whittled down, too, to 6,500 units, or 84 days’ worth, as of Aug. 1. On March 1, just before the last production shutdown, GM had 154 days’ worth.

They shut the plant down from late March to late April too. Believe it or not, at one point earlier this year, they were hoping to sell 45,000 Volts in the U.S. alone. Yeah.

Exit question: is GM headed for bankruptcy — again?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Exit question: is GM headed for bankruptcy — again?

Bankruptcy is such an outmoded concept…GM will fail only when the US taxpayers are tapped out.

AUINSC on August 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Another Grand Royal Hopey Failure!!

TaxPayer Loot,gone down the Suwannee River,adding insult
to injury!!

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

To answer your exit question: Without a doubt.

Tim Zank on August 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

AP…

I know it is off topic, but any chance you can address the bizarre poll results from today?

If you would have told me that a Wash Post/ABC poll with a D+7 sample AND Gallup both had Romney up in polls of REGISTERED voters while while Rasmussen had Romney down 3 nationally and down 4 in swing states, I would have said you were nuts!

Thoughts (from AP or anyone)?

Indy82 on August 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

As long as BHO is involved, Government Motors will never prosper…

d1carter on August 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM

…you get to use car-pool lanes there if you’re driving a Volt

You gotta be kidding me…

Include a pass for parking in handicapped spaces, and it might just work.

JetBoy on August 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Of course, over at UKmail online and huffapostit they are blaming this on George W.Bush. I kid you not.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I love my husband but, bless his heart, he actually thinks government has a role in forcing us into behaviors that will “conserve” resources such as setting CAFE standards and subsidizing crappy little putt-putt cars that no one wants to buy. He knows, though, that if he votes for the JEF, there will be no peace in this house.

natasha333 on August 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Exit question: is GM headed for bankruptcy — again?

Always was. That became inevitable when they banked their future on an over-priced souped-up golf cart. The real question is if the rat-eared bastard thinks that he can get away with another giveaway to the UAW to “save” Govt. Motors from themselves.

And BTW, California is going bankrupt. It also has electricity problems (I know I was out there for the black-outs that brought down Gray Davis). Where is the state getting the money and how are they going to generate the energy to keep the golf carts on the road for the thirty some miles before they shift over to gasoline? Given the traffic in LA that means they will be electric only for a small portion of the commute into work.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Looks like another paid vacation for the UAW.

Charlemagne on August 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Outside California, has anyone ever seen a Volt on the road?

As for that infomercial…I want those two minutes of my life back. Goodness, that was awful.

conservative pilgrim on August 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM

..all those who favor renaming it to the Chevy Ohm raise your hand.

The War Planner on August 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Exit answer…Yes.

KCB on August 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Us American consumers just don’t know what’s good for us.

listens2glenn on August 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I say that we move the GOP convention there during the shut down.

faraway on August 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Exit answer…Yes.

KCB on August 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Dittos.

listens2glenn on August 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I know, let’s put them in charge of our healthcare system!

WisCon on August 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Exit question: is GM headed for bankruptcy — again?

Nah. They have a plan. They may lose money on every car, but they’ll make it up on volume.

Winning!

Curtiss on August 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

conservative pilgrim on August 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I have seen 1. Count it-1. In another urban utopia.
Prirus..many more. 10? Give or take in a year.
I remembered the volt..primarily because I never saw one.
I see Coralla’s, Jetta’s, and Civic’s..the majority of the time.
A Ford Focus here and there..

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The War Planner on August 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Saw what you did there. That was funny, and I didn’t follow the link.

KCB on August 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Outside California, has anyone ever seen a Volt on the road?

conservative pilgrim on August 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I see one or two a month.

Always wondered what the expression is on lefty faces when they get their first full month electric bill after buying one of these coal/natgas/nuclear fired cars. (Math is hard) Here in Albuquerque and Santa Fe we’ve got some of the highest electricity rates in the country and long commutes to boot.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

You didn’t build that plant shutdown somemone else did.

bgibbs1000 on August 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I think the Rasmussen poll going down the last 2 days was the ever so touchy independents reacting the Romney’s birther joke the other day. A few days from that everyone will forget about that it will be tied or have romney in the lead again.

gsherin on August 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

California and the Chevy Volt: Twice the Fail!!

Bitter Clinger on August 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

…government motors…saving it!

KOOLAID2 on August 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

natasha333 on August 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Happy wife, happy life, eh?

Seriously though, I’m currently reading Alistair Cooke’s book about his travels around the US in 1942-43 describing how Americans were adapting to being at war. His descriptions of the South in particular are interesting in the way he writes about the economic disparity and then goes into paragraphs-long riffs about how necessary it is for the government to be providing subsidies to small farmers, dictate crops, and otherwise get involved with everyday life of Americans. This was written in 1942 by a Brit (naturalized American) with a different perspective but, for me, it was a telling report on when things started to go wrong.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

From New Orleans,Tracking Isaac!

LIVE STREAMING
**************

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

natasha333 on August 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I take it hubby isn’t an engineer. If you search in the interwebs I’m sure you can find information about he the actual total st of ownership is higher for electric cars than for gasoline powered cars. You will also find that the heavy metals mining for batteries is a dirty, dirty business. The heavy metals in batteries are poisonous.

Batteries also have to be disposed of, another difficult and dirty process.

And finally, all electric cars do is move the fossil fuel consumption upstream to the electric generating plants. At the end of the day your electric car is technically consuming cal or nat gas. It’s possible wind, soar, hydro,or geo-thermal contributed a small portion of the power but nota significant amount.

Due to inefficiencies in the combustion to power process and line losses getting power to your house, you probably consume more fossil fuels per mile in a Volt than in a gas powered car.

If the government wanted us to consume less gas, none of their business, they would have the courage to radically hike gas taxes rather than taking the cowards way out via CAFE standards.

Charlemagne on August 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

..all those who favor renaming it to the Chevy Ohm raise your hand.

The War Planner on August 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

My hand’s up.
That’ll become it’s nickname, anyhow. : )

listens2glenn on August 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

California and the Chevy Volt: Twice the Fail!!

Bitter Clinger on August 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Why not take a picture of Nancy Pelosi driving a Volt in her home district and go for the trifecta of failure?

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

gsherin on August 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I don’t even think it’s that…more like the normal ebb and flow of a very tight race where neither has been able to break out.

changer1701 on August 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Osama is dead, GM is intubated.

bayview on August 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I thought they were like the Loch Ness Monster and Bigffoot. I have heard of them but never seen one. Some local businesses have spaces with chargers for them, but in a year I have never seen a car in them, and they are more prime than handicapped spaces. I am relatively sure those recharge stations were not publicly fun…Who am I kidding…..

KCB on August 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Anyone got the expertise to know what MPG a Honda Civic/ Toyota Corolla etc. type of car would get with non-EPA bastardized fuel, (fuel optimized for efficiency only)?

Out blessed EPA accounts for an extra 20% fuel consumption and pollution based on their “regional” formulations – not to mention the extra expense.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM

changer1701 on August 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I hope you’re right. I get mad when I see Obama leading in any poll that I take as credible(Gallup or Rasmussen). I also get really annoyed when his approval rating is over 45%. Personally I think if he was white it would be 10-15 points lower.

gsherin on August 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM

..all those who favor renaming it to the Chevy Ohm raise your hand.

The War Planner on August 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

The Chevy Cum makes more sense.

TXUS on August 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM

From New Orleans,Tracking Isaac!

canopfor on August 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I’m so sick of the coverage about NOLA. They survived Hurricane Katrina just fine. Shep Smith was on a balcony in the French Quarter talking about how the city came through just fine. This as a couple of days before the real Shep emerged in a rant that I will charitably call unprofessional.

It was the levee breaches that did NOLA in was the flooding. The real concern should not be the city of NOLA but the outlying areas like Lower Jefferson and Plaquamines Parish. Not to mention other areas susceptible to flooding during any storm.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

As I said before, Romney ought to couch his economic plan a few times in terms of saving GM from bankruptcy. It would be a great move and really tick off the the Dems and LSM.

Dusty on August 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Chevy Ohm…..how about the Chevy Watt? What? Watt.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Huzzah!

Its worse than you think. Union rules say that once the manufacturing quota is met for the year, the line shuts down. But paychecks continue to flow.

They’ve exceeded the quota of 18 this year. A grievance has been filed, so don’t worry about that.

BobMbx on August 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

On the bright side we the taxpayers are not shoveling out so many $7500 rebates for each of these fire traps.

jukin3 on August 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Who cares? These people live below sea level in a swamp. Its their problem.

BobMbx on August 27, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Hey, after GM got in bed with Øbama, I’ll never buy another GM car in my life. I used to buy only GM cars. Exclusively. Never again. I’ll buy Ford or foreign, but never GM.

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Wait. What? Watt. Chevy Watt. One watt.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Why stop with those incentives…it’s government controlled – how about you get a 5 year “no-audit” exclusion regardless of whatever ludicrous deductions you file? How about an incentive that says Social Security pays you at 1.3 times the normal rate if you drive a Volt?…maybe a pass that says all Volt drivers cannot be charged with DWI..etc….

With the government in charge of an auto manufacturer, they can simply come up with whatever carrot or stick idea they need to manipulate buying decisions…

celt on August 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM

What, the Volt can do 80? Perhaps if it were on fire going off a cliff.

Steve Eggleston on August 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Dusty on August 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I don’t know where you live Dusty but if Romney wants a chance in the rust belt he will not be critical of “saving” Govt. Motors. They’ve weaned out the anti-union gene and any defense of letting the UAW wallow in their own pension plan funding problems is far too complex an issue for anybody to come off well. These people have a gag reflex where the minute you even criticize the union you are an enemy of the state.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM

They’ve already sold many more units this year than they did last year,

They reached an all time high of twelve.

squint on August 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM

If Mitt and the RNC don’t make mention of this over and over @ the convention this week, it will be political malpractice. Make BHO and team wear this like a scarlet letter.

Rndguy on August 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Volt & Bankruptcy
What’s ironic is that GM is trying to be “green” with the Volt, yet were in not for the big-iron, low-mileage trucks and vans GM sells they would be bankrupt already.

vamoose on August 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

bazil9 on August 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I see Prius’ all the time, but never a VOLT.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Maybe we can commission Jason Mattera to interview these people. There is an obvious disconnect from the smartest-people-ever who drive a Volt. It’s like the environmentalists who drive a Prius to their private jet to vacation in Europe. Good thing for those carbon credits.

conservative pilgrim on August 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Winning!

Curtiss on August 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

++++

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM

petefrt on August 27, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Loved my first Chevy truck. Good old v8/350ci standard. There was something just right about it. Hauled lots of hay, slept one the bench seat of it in the field several times to save myself a couple hours. A pickup is home away from home for some folks.

Never again with a Chevy or GM. Not. Over. My. Dead. Body. Miss the good days when I could compare a friggin’ pickup truck or a commuter car on an honest basis.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

More highway robbery. Barky wants all companies to be administered like GM – straight to bankruptcy again and another fleecing of the taxpayers. I hope someone mentions this during the convention.

Philly on August 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Won’t they have to put charging stations in the HOV lanes in CA to make the VOLT usable as a vehicle to get you to work?

Will CA also buy a fleet of plows or bulldozers to remove all of the dead VOLTs obstructing the freeways?

landlines on August 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

While it is true lower sales means less taxpayer rebates handed out, we are nontheless on the hook as taxpayers to GM stock price.

Varchild on August 27, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Of course they’d have to put a huge gas-hog of an engine in it to get it to GO much faster than the speed limit…

But that’s fine. No amount of waste and spoilation is too great a price to save the environment — from free enterprise.

logis on August 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Outside California, has anyone ever seen a Volt on the road?

I live inside California, and I’ve never seen one. If you can’t drive a car across country, what’s the point unless you can afford two cars?

Bob's Kid on August 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Look what’s on TV – a Chevy Volt commercial. LOL.

Philly on August 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Chevy Ohm…..how about the Chevy Watt? What? Watt.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It comes with ample headroom and leg room…

JetBoy on August 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Car manufacturers generally count a vehicle as “sold” when it leaves the plant for a dealer. (Which is right; as far as GM is concerned, the car is sold once a dealer pays GM for it and it rolls onto the car carrier.) On the other hand, “unsold inventory” is a canvas of how many cars the dealers have on hand to sell to the general public. Here, the article notes that GM sold 10,666 Volts, and there’s a 6500 unit inventory. That means the public (including government entities) has bought only about 4000 Volts this year, not 10K+.

Zumkopf on August 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I have seen one in Western PA, a few weeks ago. That’s it.

Philly on August 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

What to do with a Chevy Volt when the batteries are dead and can’t be recharged?

Curtiss on August 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I bet the workers are still getting paid, which, duh, is the issue.

SouthernGent on August 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM

landlines on August 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

No. No. No. All of the freeway construction (perpetual?) is to add a Volt breakdown lane and also a second Volt charging lane.

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 9:19 PM

No more Volts?

Shocked, just shocked I tells ya!

/groan

M240H on August 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I see Prius’ all the time, but never a VOLT.

conservative pilgrim on August 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM

That seems to be a universal observation. It’s stealth technology!!!!!

Perhaps Govt. Motors should market them to the DoD as the next generation HUMVEE. Of course that would mean the military could only fight wars within 30 miles of home base or put the war on hold for recharging.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Exit answer:

Ever since the Reuther’s Treaty of Detroit.

ericdijon on August 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Curtiss on August 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Same thing that happens to your IPod, IPad, or IPhone. Dispose of it.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Park in them.

I do in my gas guzzling SUV with a Romney sticker on the back.

Its enough to put them into fits of rage that are really quite funny.

Defenestratus on August 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Kind of a big Apple supporter – right?

ericdijon on August 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Same thing that happens to your IPod, IPad, or IPhone. Dispose of it.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Sounds like you need to buy something that you can actually replace the battery in … like a non-Apple, non-lawfare, competitive-market-friendly product :P

/hijack

Defenestratus on August 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

GM to shut down Chevy Volt plant for four weeks — for the second time this year

Leave it to Government Motors to build a volt fit for a dolt.

Exit question: is GM headed for bankruptcy — again?

Of course.

Doing the same thing again and expecting a different result is the government’s specialty.

rukiddingme on August 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Curtiss on August 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

turn it into a potted planter? Push it off a bridge? Leave it in the middle of the road as a means to give the road credit for getting the Volt its success in life.

/ideas.

ted c on August 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM

gsherin on August 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I do too…it’s yet another reminder that a good portion of this country just doesn’t get it and the media’s criminal role in assuring that. If both the Gallup and Ras tracking were showing similar things, then I’d be a little more concerned, but variations like we saw today are probably just statistical noise.

changer1701 on August 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Park in them.

I do in my gas guzzling SUV with a Romney sticker on the back.

Its enough to put them into fits of rage that are really quite funny.

Defenestratus on August 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I don’t need that kind of parking, so I hope that the empty space tells a story. I know, I know, but still..

KCB on August 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I guess “you didn’t build that” really applies here.

arnold ziffel on August 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

“GM to shut down Chevy Volt plant for four weeks — for the second time this year”

I want my money back, Mr. President!

locomotivebreath1901 on August 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Speaking of Great Leftist Transportation Ideas, for some reason or other the National Democrat Media has been awfully quiet about the latest news last week from the State O’bama claims to have been born in, regarding the new Honolulu Monorail Taxpayer Bamboozle. The Far-Left Hawai’i Supreme Court checks in, via Courthouse News:

HONOLULU (CN) – The biggest rail project in Hawaii’s history suffered a setback Friday when the state Supreme Court affirmed that it was inadequately planned.

The Hawaii Supreme Court partially vacated an Oahu First Circuit Court summary judgment involving sent plans for the Honolulu High-Capacity Transit Corridor Project, and remanded other parts for further proceedings.

Five justices of the high court found that the city, county and state defendants broke the law by failing to conduct an historic preservation survey for the controversial rail project. But the court affirmed judgment in favor of defendants on two of six counts, finding that they got the necessary approval from the governor on a final environmental impact statement, and properly valued cultural and historic assets along the proposed route.

The rail is slated to run from a growing suburb of Kapolei on West Oahu to the downtown Honolulu business district and beyond, with possible arms reaching to the tourist area of Waikiki and the University of Hawaii Manoa campus.

Groundbreaking in Kapolei came in February, but opponents want to use the opinion to begin issuing change orders to halt construction.

Defendants include the City and County of Honolulu, Mayor Peter Carlisle, Gov. Neil Abercrombie, the Department of Transportation Services and its Director Wayne Yoshioka, the Department of Planning and Permitting, Board of Land and Natural Resources and its Chairman William J. Aila, and the Oahu Island Burial Council.

The lawsuit is one of three still alive in Hawaii courts, challenging the project.

The 20-mile-long rail, initially estimated to cost $5 billion, is partially funded by the Federal Transportation Administration. It is one of a handful of mass transit projects in other cities funded under an initiative of the Obama administration.

Governor Abercrombie became best friends with Barry O’bama Senior and Ann Dunham in the late 1950s when they were all Marxist College Kids at Manoa.

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Put your sandwich on the hot spots, Volts make a great Panini machine.

arnold ziffel on August 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Defenestratus on August 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Tell you what sport. Let’s start simple and make America a place where we can buy a domestically produced television.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Curtiss on August 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Mail ‘em to Obama.

squint on August 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Kind of a big Apple supporter – right?

ericdijon on August 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Not particularly BUT while we can debate the origins of the product there is no denying that they provide a quality product and quality support services behind the product.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

…and the ad on the top of the home page of Hot Air is for a Chevy Volt from a regional GM dealer here. They’re everywhere and no one is buying.

Philly on August 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Mail ‘em to Obama.

squint on August 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

That presumes we will still have a Postal Service.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

They’re everywhere and no one is buying.

Philly on August 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Actually no. They are not everywhere. They are in dealership and factory lots. If it were determined that Volts cause cancer (which of course they don’t because Romney and Bain were never involved) it would be very easy to round them all up.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It comes with ample headroom and leg room…

JetBoy on August 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Headroom jokes?

Rio Linda Refugee on August 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I want my money back, Mr. President!

locomotivebreath1901 on August 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Whatever you do, don’t take a personal check.

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM

The solution for GM is to distribute all those shares the feds are holding equally to each American. Then would you buy a GM?

HICON on August 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I’m a pretty easy going kind of guy but that video really does make me think I despise the Volt, GM, and the fact that we are all hostaged shareholders in this insanity.

And setting it in California didn’t help.

Thankfully I verified that with great tires my car can still spin up the rear wheels in 5 gears in the wet.

Apologies to Gaia.

CorporatePiggy on August 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Good grief. They were kicking around wanting light rail on Oahu 20 years ago when I was stationed there. Of course, it took over 10 years to build the H-3 highway which is all of about 30 miles long due to legal wrangling.

Bitter Clinger on August 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

As my grandpa would say; “I think I’ll get two, one to s#it and the other to cover it up with.”

Rio Linda Refugee on August 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Yeah. So does Ubuntu. And it’s free. So does Linux Mint, and it’s $40 bucks. So does Kubuntu and it’s free, although it’s more do it yourself stuff.

First computer was Mac. Last mac was first or second Imac. Couldn’t justify the cost after that. I’ve always laughed when apple fans scoff at windows or linux. You pay twice the cost of Windows for closed OS and applications and then bitch about Microsoft.

Mac is still great. but you pay for it. And most power users I know free themselves to use the same base system that Mac uses – Unix – for free as linux.

But I digress. Maybe I can hack a disposable Volt with a touch screen linux system. Can I get a Volt on Craig’s List for a couple hundred bucks?

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Server Dead? Ever so popular blog script crapped out again?

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Dropped posts again. Crap. WordPressed…

oldroy on August 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM

My wife’s a former shareholder of the old GM, and all I can say is, %&#*#% ‘em. Bankruptcy is too good, unless the UAW goes bankrupt, too. Not that I’m bitter, or anything.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Zumkopf on August 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Some of those Volts supposedly sold will be in Australia where subsidiary GM-Holden is to sell them next year as the Holden Volt. Unfortunately there’s a track record of US auto makers offloading below-par goods onto their Australian subsidiaries where the vehicle is regarded as having enough niche market appeal to overcome resistance to the massive prices they ultimately have to ask of Aussie buyers. This is due to the extensive re-engineering that has to go on just to move the steering wheel over to the right hand side of the vehicle. In the case of the Volt, I think Holden engineers are trying to give the cars a bit more distance out of the batteries. In the case of a bunch of 1990s Mustangs that Ford withdrew from sale in the US because the engines didn’t achieve the claimed power output, Ford Australia had to do some hefty reworking of the motors and brakes as well as the steering conversions. Those cars sold for over AUS$85K. But at least they had real engines in them.

The Thin Man Returns on August 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I see a Volt or two a day. Someone in my subdivision owns one, so does my cousin.

souped-up golf cart.

Hardly. Statements like that show how ignorant you are of automotive technology. It’s a very sophisticated piece of engineering. Nissan’s Leaf, which is a pure BEV (battery electric vehicle) is much closer to a golf cart than the Volt, which uses two electric motors/generators connected to the a planetary gearset also driven by the combustion engine. By activating different clutches in the system the Volt can run on batteries alone, or on electricity generated by the combustion engine. In addition to the motor/engine control system, unlike the Leaf the Volt also has an advanced battery conditioning system that keeps the battery pack at an ideal temperature.

It’s disappointing when I see fellow conservatives bash the Volt, using foolish arguments. The politics and tax credits aside, the Volt is one of the best developed cars ever. I’ve spoken to dozens of Volt owners and they unanimously love their cars, and harly any of them are herbal granolist greenies. More than a couple indicated that they’ll never vote for a Democrat.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was at the Concours of America and one of the guys who was showing a very, very rare muscle car (a SD396 Beaumont convertible, a Canadian ‘Pontiac’ version of the SS Chevelle) and he volunteered, “I’ve owned dozens of cars and you know what I think is the best car I’ve ever owned? The Chevy Volt.” That was his honest, and completely unprompted, opinion.

I’m a contributor to The Truth About Cars, whose founder, Rob’t Farago, was the first person to predict that GM was going to go bankrupt and he did so in 2005. TTAC has a reputation as being very skeptical of car companies, particularly GM. We have readers who think we like to bash GM. Still, three different TTAC writers reviewed the Volt and gave it very positive reviews. I’ve yet to read a review that gave the Volt bad marks for anything other than minor issues. It’s probably the best developed new car ever sold. GM really sweated the details and customers are thrilled with it.

Would they be as thrilled without the $7,500 tax credit? Maybe not, but evaluating the Volt as a car, not as a political issue, generally results in a positive evaluation.

Call GM “Government Motors” all you want, but GM (and Ford, and Chrysler) have some very talented people working for them, particularly in the design, engineering and R&D functions of the company.

As one owner told, me, nobody spends $40K on a car expecting to save money. The Volt is a niche vehicle and even if it doesn’t meet Dan Akerson’s unrealistic sales projections, 20,000 units a year is pretty good for a niche vehicle.

rokemronnie on August 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Bitter Clinger on August 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Actually H-3 took MUCH longer than that to build. It’s also MUCH shorter (15 miles). The orders for the H-3 were originally granted in 1960, 3 years before my family moved there. The construction was delayed in 1970 and did not even begin until the late 1980′s, and it finally opened in 1997, or almost 40 years after it began.

What’s so hypocritical about H-3 is that it was delayed for so long by environmental and cultural concerns, but was later completed only because a powerful Democrat Senator (Dan Inouye) had the H-3 exempted from most environmental laws.

Del Dolemonte on August 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM

They will not take the Volt out of production until after the election.

Philly on August 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM