Quotes of the day

posted at 10:01 pm on August 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

Mike Huckabee rallied hundreds of Southern Baptists on a conference call Friday night in support of Todd Akin, offering advice about how they can help the embattled Missouri Senate candidate stay in the race — while acknowledging Akin still may have to bow out.

“This could be a Mt. Carmel moment,” said the former Arkansas governor, referring to the holy battle between Elijah and the prophets of Baal in the book of Kings. “You know, you bring your gods. We’ll bring ours. We’ll see whose God answers the prayers and brings fire from heaven. That’s kind of where I’m praying: that there will be fire from heaven, and we’ll see it clearly, and everyone else will to.”…

“That kind of stuff’s been going on, and I told these [NRSC] people yesterday that I talked to: That’s got to stop. It can’t continue. That’s what union goons do: breaking people’s kneecaps when you cross a line. And Todd Akin has done nothing but make a mistake for which he has roundly repudiated the comment and apologized. There’s nothing else he can do.”…

“I would remind our pastor friends … over the last 10, 12 years the homosexual lobby is more powerful than they’ve ever been in Washington. Planned Parenthood is more powerful than they’ve ever been. Our children’s innocence is more threatened,” said [former Rep. J.C.] Watts, who was the House Republican Conference chairman in the late 1990s. “Todd Akin has been just totally with the family, totally stood for godly principles. He and his wife are just a delight to be around. … Todd Akin has not been the problem. He has been the solution.”

***

Such strong language is uncharacteristic for Huckabee. Clearly, Huckabee — who endorsed Akin the primary — sees this as more than just a strategic calculation on the part of the Romney/Ryan campaign, the National Republican Senatorial Committee and others who have urged Akin to drop out. Rather, he sees it as a proxy for the fight between the establishment-money wing of the party and the grassroots, Christian wing of the party.

When I interviewed Huckabee for my recent feature profile of him, he talked about the feeling among social conservatives that Republicans use them to win elections but do not actually care about their issues. “Conservatives have been burned way too many times,” said Huckabee. “Social conservatives get used every four years, trotted out at the rallies to stand there for five hours, scream and yell for that candidate, knock on doors, make the phone calls, carry signs. When the election is over, they’re promptly forgotten, put up in the attic and asked not to come out in public again for another four years. I think a lot of people have grown tired of that, so hopefully that’s not going to be the case this year.”…

But if [Republicans] do not get rid of Akin they risk alienating moderates and women. Democrats are banking on just such a possibility, and they are making sure their convention has plenty of women speakers. And so the truly frightening possibility for Republicans is if Huckabee actually addresses the Akin controversy in his remarks Monday. Huckabee comes across as easy-going and unlikely to make such a move, but clearly the issue has touched a nerve for him. So we’ll just have to wait and watch to find out.

***

The question of why Huckabee would do this isn’t that hard to figure. For one thing, he was the most (only?) prominent Republican to back Akin in Missouri’s GOP primary earlier this month, a race that Akin won in an upset. Both men are also closely aligned with the Christian right and place an unusual emphasis on moral and cultural issues. Huckabee’s statement, which bemoans that “money has changed hands to push [Akin] off the plank,” also speaks to the grudges that he nurses from his 2008 White House campaign, which he believes was undermined by his party’s professional class and financial elite.

But his strong affirmation of support provides Akin with a crucial lifeline. For one thing, Akin now has a major national Republican leader willing to stand with him and fight back against the party’s isolation campaign. Perhaps more important, Huckabee could also help Akin rake in small donations from rank-and-file Christian conservatives.

As his ’08 experience showed, Huckabee isn’t exactly a fundraising machine, but what Akin needs right now is enough money to tide him over for a month or so – until after the final, more absolute Sept. 25 candidate switch deadline passes. If he’s still in the race at that point and is within striking distance of Claire McCaskill, it’s logical to assume that national Republicans will end their prohibition on supporting him financially.

***

Huckabee makes some great points. Why aren’t the Republican leaders saying hey, he made a mistake and then start to turn it on the Democrats and the media for going overboard?

They have been sucked in and become so paranoid about the so-called GOP war on women that sacrificing Akin was more important than anything else. If the GOP continues this piling on trend they will start to really frustrate very conservative pro-life Republicans who they will need in the fall.

***

“At first I felt (Akin’s comments) were offensive to women and insulting to my intelligence,” said Lisa Payne-Naeger, a member of the conservative Missouri Grassroots Coalition, who has an online political radio show. “What changed it for me was the Republican establishment’s effort to chop him off at the knees and install one of their own in the race.”

Payne-Naeger said she was so angered by the “onslaught” from party leaders that she donated to Akin’s campaign on Wednesday…

“Todd Akin is firmly grounded in his Christian beliefs,” said Kenneth Williams, Republican committee chairman for Sainte Genevieve County, who said he gave $100 to Akin’s campaign on Wednesday. “He’s the real deal.”…

“I support him probably even more than I did before,” said Molly Nesham, a home-schooling mother who also teaches at a Christian school and likes Akin’s stand on abortion. “He made a mistake and the Republican Party abandoned him.”

***

Via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

Goodnight RedCrow.

RINO in Name Only on August 26, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Haha, good night all.

Rusty Allen on August 26, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Preach it, Huck…

Gohawgs on August 26, 2012 at 4:19 AM

RedCrow on August 26, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Night, RC! Sleep well.

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Isn’t twerp’s husband a rather stocky former marine?

I think we should all chip in and give the dr. a free trip to TX.

I have a feeling we would only have to pay for one way.

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Night Dark Star. Just remember – you can never truly stop playing once you start. Tesla will always be a part of you.

RINO in Name Only on August 26, 2012 at 4:22 AM

i live in texas now, Sugar Land area neear Houston.

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Isn’t twerp’s husband a rather stocky former marine?

I think we should all chip in and give the dr. a free trip to TX.

I have a feeling we would only have to pay for one way.

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Hmmm, Texas cage match… Pay per view event…

SWalker on August 26, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Good night all!

Dark Star on August 26, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Goodnight, Dark Star. (wink, wink–you’re really going to keep posting, right???)

Sweet dreams!

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:22 AM

I’m not the world’s most masculine man but I know what i am.

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Fascinating that you chose lyrics to a song about sex with a male cross-dresser:

Well I’m not the world’s most masculine man,
But I know what I am and I’m glad I’m a man,
And so is Lola.
Lo lo lo lo Lola. Lo lo lo lo Lola.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 26, 2012 at 4:24 AM

it’s my understanding Twerp is divorced, so i doubt the ex will be a factor. He hates her more than i do b/c she’s ANNOYING. i only agree with her.

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:25 AM

athenadelphi:
Sod off.

Classy enough for ya?

PS — you don’t make the rules of the internet & if I have to see your stupid posts, I get to “jump into the conversation” — if you want privacy, get a room, don’t post on a public board.

Dark Star on August 26, 2012 at 3:50 AM

You show yourself for what you are and all I asked for was consideration of time to straighten a mishap out with 4grace who I apologized to and neither you nor a capella had anything to do with that exchange. 4grace held her own and due to intermittent bad weather I was slow to realize my mistake but I owned it.

As for a capella asking me if I had a sense of humor? With both of you all over me, I figured I was being mentally gang raped and had to fight both of you off, taking time to get out from under your vileness so I could get to 4grace. So no sense of humor at this point.

athenadelphi on August 26, 2012 at 4:25 AM

i’m surprised you got the reference, babe. women on here are dumber than a monkey up on a rock.

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 26, 2012 at 4:24 AM

I thought the same thing! Lolz

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Lola was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid.

I find it kind of repetitive now though…

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:29 AM

You’re understanding is wrong. She is divorced – from her first husband.

Her current husband is, and I repeat, a rather stocky former marine. Want to make another comment about her looks, her autism, her son – or raping her?

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Flora Duh,

Sure, I have freedom of speech and what is her husband going to do to me exactly?

SHe didn’t take it as I wanted to rape her. She’s not your kind of stupid. :)

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:31 AM

athenadelphi on August 26, 2012 at 4:25 AM

I received your apology and accepted it (at 4:10). All is well. Let’s all move on.

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:33 AM

I thought the same thing! Lolz

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Easy-peasy!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 26, 2012 at 4:35 AM

i want an apology for all who implied I said i planned to rape ALT.

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Apology accepted. :)

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:10 AM

4grace – thank you and on that note? I’m locking down the hatches. Connectivity rates remind me of dial up mode/AOL and You’ve Got Mail. Ridiculous.

athenadelphi on August 26, 2012 at 4:36 AM

I’m going to say goodnight now Gracie. To you too Ladysmith.

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Ladysmith, Flora, SWalker, RINO, (sorry, not sure who is still around) I’m off to bed. You guys and gals have a blessed Sunday. Thanks to all for the laughs tonight!

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:38 AM

I’m going to say goodnight now Gracie. To you too Ladysmith.

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Nighty-night. Don’t let the hypothetical teslas bedbugs bite!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 26, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Keep it up big boy. I’ve already had one ‘badass’ who thought the internet gave him anonymity locked up for making implied threats AND inquiring about my grandchildren.

w’hahahahah

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 4:46 AM

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:38 AM

George Burns: Say goodnight, Gracie
Gracie Allen: G’night, Gracie!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 26, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Goodnight 4Grace, Flora Duh.

I have to get going as well. Thanks to everyone who participated for truly finding the spirit of Tesla that lies within us all. Night everyone.

RINO in Name Only on August 26, 2012 at 4:55 AM

It was the nature of the mistake…for heavens sakes he said something so bizarre that there is no way it was just a mistake..he simply said what he believed and was surprised at the reaction.

Huckabee is more concerned with his own position in the party than he is with winning the Senate. If people like Huckabee want the party to back them, it would be a good idea not to throw away a completely winnable Senate seat.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Soothing his (Hucka-piggy) ego is more important than saving our country.

The GOP-elites didn’t come looking for this fight, Mr. Magic Uterus-Akin had to go flapping his self-rightous jaws and got himself into a cow pie. Now he’s crying to Hucka-piggy. He’d better check Huck’s poitical record.

Hucka-piggy, Akin and Tesla need mental help – quickly.

stenwin77 on August 26, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I’m not the world’s most masculine man but I know what i am.

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 3:59 AM

That’s funny. Two days ago, you were a woman with daughters.

You need to be banned. You are a liar and you threaten people.

stenwin77 on August 26, 2012 at 7:26 AM

After reading back over the thread it seems to me that maybe Dr. Tesla should be banned. Just my opinion of course, but some of those posts are really getting weird.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM

1. You can’t quote anyone in your reply. Also, not required but encouraged is that you don’t always specify who you’re replying to. It should be clear enough from context.

2. This is kind of goes without saying, but the more posts the better.

3. If no one replies to you for a full 10 minutes, then you have to say something extremely stupid and offensive.

I don’t know why you guys encourage the disruptive troll Dr Tesla, who tries to get a rise out of whomever he can for the sake of it. He’s childish, never funny, never clever and his comments are never worth reading. He kills discussions with his tedious, attention-seeking spam and he makes this site’s comment section much less enjoyable to read.

bluegill on August 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM

w’hahahahah

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 4:46 AM

I had someone promise to find me and leave scars when he got done with me…I left that blog. The lady running it ignored the threat and so I ignored the blog..and the thing was it was not over anything important at all. These kind of people are just looking for a reason.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 7:36 AM

blockquote>I’m not the world’s most masculine man but I know what i am.

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 3:59 AM

That’s funny. Two days ago, you were a woman with daughters.

You need to be banned. You are a liar and you threaten people.

stenwin77 on August 26, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Dr Tesla should have been banned LONG ago. Are the moderators out to lunch?

bluegill on August 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM

ATTENTION : HOTAIR ADMINISTRATORS

Please do something about the troll DrTesla who hijacks threads and threatens people. Enough is enough!

bluegill on August 26, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Huckleberry was right about how Evangelicals get used (like Blacks actually),

They get out and do the work but……….get the shaft after November. For the Dems support the Black community gets 14% unemployment and the breakup of 70% of families.

Nice payoff for the work.

PappyD61 on August 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Dr Tesla should have been banned LONG ago. Are the moderators out to lunch?

bluegill on August 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I wonder.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Huckleberry was right about how Evangelicals get used (like Blacks actually),

PappyD61 on August 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Utter baloney. First of all, not all evangelicals want the same things from government. What is it that they want but are supposedly not getting? They want to be pandered to more?

bluegill on August 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Huckleberry was right about how Evangelicals get used (like Blacks actually),

Nice payoff for the work.

PappyD61 on August 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I don’t think that is true at all. The reaction to Akin’s comments were not only negative among the Godless elite, rank and file thought the man was being an idiot. Most Republicans in that state did not even vote for him in the primary and want him to drop out.

Tell me exactly how it is that evangelicals are used? You compare it to the black vote..how? Look at the unemployment rate among African Americans…look at the drop out rate in inner city high schools, look at the violence and loss of life suffered by members of that community in a city like Chicago. And Chicago is run by a Democrat machine…how can you compare the treatment of Evangelicals by the GOP with that kind of dysfunction?

The GOP has a strong pro life policy. Exactly how do they ignore or abandon the Evangelicals?

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

According to this, the GOP platform does not actually preclude exceptions in the case of rape and incest. And note the source.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Folks, it is not worth the risk, we have to have Clair’s seat, so he needs to do the right thing and step down. We have to take the Senate and White House in order to rescue our nation.

Amazingoly on August 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Between Tesla, nathor, and some others, did someone empty the asylums out?

My take.

kingsjester on August 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Huckleberry was right about how Evangelicals get used (like Blacks actually),

Nice payoff for the work.

PappyD61 on August 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Yeah, socons are the only ones who go out and do the work of knocking on doors, making phone calls, and GOTV. Right.

Even if that were the case, idiots like Akin and Huckabee drive away more voters than they attract. And they’re big government, to boot.

No, thanks.

DRayRaven on August 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Here’s the problem…as foolish as Akin is, the question is, is he still better than the dem that would be elected?

Would the policies he actually votes on be worse or better than the dems?

The dems don’t abandon their candidates, they know that it is better to hold an office with a dummy, than not have the office.

We should take note…Akin is a fool, but he will vote along our party lines and move our agenda…the dem replacing him won’t.

And who is to say the dem is of any better moral or logical value??? Why the media tells us so.

right2bright on August 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Huckabee is despicable.

Again.

ConservativeLA on August 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM

right2bright on August 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Who is saying McCaskill is better? That is not the point. Akin can not beat her…so if people really care about getting rid of that Democrat then it might be necessary to get rid of Akin.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 9:48 AM

If his god was all-powerful and Total Love (as most Christians claim) there wouldn’t be a rape in the first place. Either his god isn’t all-powerful, or his god doesn’t want to prevent rape. The Huckster could just acknowledge what we already know . . . god doesn’t exist. Religion will destroy this world, if we let it.

TheClearRiver on August 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM

TheClearRiver on August 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I don’t understand. How does it follow that rape would not exist if God were all-powerful?

Axe on August 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I was reading around the internets and if you used waxed dental floss, run it under your toenail and work it to the side that is ingrown. It might hurt, so maybe a spot of neosporin with the pain reliever in it might help, but you work it onto that side, slide it between the nail and the skin, trim it so that it doesn’t snag on your socks, but leave it there and it is supposed to help. So far, it hurt to work it into that side, but it feels better this evening.

BedBug on August 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM

How dare you leak Huckabee’s Convention speech early!

profitsbeard on August 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM

*O — NVM. You spelled it out. I missed it because you made God allowing rape the result of a particular cause, and I set the whole assessment aside since it was false. He allows it because he doesn’t want to prevent it, you said. I should have restructured it, like this:

Either his god isn’t all powerful, or his god is allowing rape. And I assume he allows rape because he doesn’t want to prevent it.

… and I would have had it.

My bad.

Axe on August 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It was a Two fer Mr. Huckabee.

He sighted extremely flawed, outdated research and did not know how out of touch he was.

He used the term Legitimate Rape. Which no one has ever heard of, and was a mis speak, but he never tried to say what he meant in the interview, he was grasping at straws to define what he meant, leaving us to think that basically: men can rape their wives as long as they are married, like the Islamists believe.

Fleuries on August 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Axe on August 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

God could have installed a heart attack effect to anyone attempting rape. An enzyme released that strike the heart muscle when hate and sex and violence and contempt and sadism are united in one act by an aggressor.

How tough was that to bio-engineer off-the-cuff?

Ergo, free will remains, but, as with all other bodily frailties, the rapist would die of a naturally-occurring physical condition inherent in the human form.

And rapists would still have the potential to attempt the crime, but, as with trying to “fly” off a 50 story building by flapping your arms, reality would put an end to their biologically impossible wish.

profitsbeard on August 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Wow, Bedbug became a convert is this food fight? Good job, Folks.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Axe on August 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

It is the same argument I’ve heard for years. “How can a loving, caring God let rape happen?”

It’s called, free will. Yes, we are created in his image, but God isn’t a robot, therefore we are given the freedom to choose what actions we take.

Using the “how could a caring God let rape happen?” argument, is a way to absolve the rapist of their responsibility in committing the rape.

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Good morning. I was hoping you would show up last night. As you can see, it was a rather, interesting for lack of a better word, thread.

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Axe on August 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

How tough was that to bio-engineer off-the-cuff?

profitsbeard on August 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Seemed pretty easy.

I wasn’t asking how God might stop rape from existing, though. I was asking how God being all-powerful would preclude the existence of rape, and the answer is that it wouldn’t. He clearly meant God being something called “Total Love” would preclude rape. That is also false, but I’m about argued out.

Axe on August 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

“I support him Akin) probably even more than I did before,” said Molly Nesham

Good for you … Me too.
The nerve of the RNC,. et al. I thought elections had consequences.
Silly me.
“Ya run what ya brung”
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Still yesterday for me. I’m still coming off that Tesla thing and everything.

Poured. Out. :) Coffee has limits. But I’m about done for the “night.” Couple hours, then *poof* to the Unicorns.

Axe on August 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Wow, Bedbug became a convert is this food fight? Good job, Folks.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Pretty cool, huh?

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Good morning, Flora. Yes, “interesting” indeed.

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I’m normally a big live and let live person but Dr. T seems to be getting perilously close to falling of the edge. I guess gender confusion will do that. I will have to stop encouraging he/she/it.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Good for you … Me too.
The nerve of the RNC,. et al. I thought elections had consequences.
Silly me.
“Ya run what ya brung”
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Opening your mouth and saying something bizarre has consequences too…maybe Akin and his supporters should realize that.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Also, if you check back, you see all this stuff? You might not care, but it’s right on that point. I linked my first Q in the interesting (to me) bit. I learned a lot about rehabilitative justice.

Axe on August 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM

The man won.
The Torricellie / Lautenberg switch must have thrilled you.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Let this be a warning to both you and the moderaters. You are now my enemy. I will smack your sorry a s s around any chance I have. You worthless little pathetic piece of sh*t. See ya around kook.

Bmore on August 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM

At this point it is all in the hands of the good folks of Missouri. I think given their choices it might be a lot closer than you think. Even with the total boycott of the Republican Party establishment, and in this instance, I am not saying that as derisive term.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Between Tesla, nathor, and some others, did someone empty the asylums out?

My take.

kingsjester on August 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

well Eric holder said that they should start hiring the mentally disabled. why not pay them from federal funds to agitate and disrupt at the “other’s” information sources.

tom daschle concerned on August 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM

It was always in the hands of the voters of Missouri, and that is still the case. And as for the Republican establishment..if they were the only ones unhappy with Akin he would not be down in the polls right now. The voters are none to pleased either.

And it is possible that Akin could still win, anything is possible. The thing he has going for him is the unhappiness of the voters of MO with Claire McCaskill…but then the voters of NV were unhappy with Harry Reid and they still reelected him. They simply felt that the alternative was unacceptable.

What is frustrating is that this election should not have even been close..this was an easy pickup that has turned into a long shot.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM

The man won.
The Torricellie / Lautenberg switch must have thrilled you.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on August 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Why the reference to Torricellie? This is not even remotely the same situation.

Yes, he won a plurality, about 60% of those primary voters did not vote for him..and just because he won does not mean that he is suddenly not responsible for what he says. It does not mean he gets a free pass for being stupid. There are consequences to making a fool of yourself in public. Right now if those voters had it to do again, Akin would not be the winner of that primary.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM

The only reason I referenced the Party is that he would have gotten revenue from them for the race, now he won’t. I have to admit that if I were a voter in Missouri on election day, I don’t know what I would do. I know I couldn’t vote for the incumbent and I don’t know if I could walk away from giving the Republicans a better shot at the Senate. Tough call.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

It looks like the misogynist, pseudo-scientific quackery of magical vajayjay goalies is common among the Huckabee/Neanderthal wing of the party:

But Huckabee’s been at this rodeo — do pilgrims rodeo? — at this clam bake for quite some time. In 1998, Arkansas State Senator Fay Boozman helped wreck his chances at a U.S. Senate seat by suggesting that rape-activated female hormones could prevent pregnancy — “god’s little shield.”

Boozman lost by 12 points. Then he lucked out. Gov. Mike Huckabee, a friend and political ally for many years, put Boozman in charge of the Arkansas Department of Health. The “god’s little shield” controversy was fresh, and Huckabee kept getting asked about it. As far as he was concerned, the story was over, and it was unfair to harp on it. “If nothing else,” said Huckabee, according to a February 1999 story in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, “I hope to make it very clear that our administration is not governed by intimidation. We’re not going to allow the shrill voices of a few to so disparage the character of a very decent and good person to an outstanding position in such a way that Arkansas would lose his service at the Department of Health.”

This crap sounds like something the Taliban would say. These idiots need to go away and never be heard from again.

Walter Sobchak on August 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Bmore on August 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

…I’ve been trying for the longest…but you guys wanted to share tunes and entertain the sick Fluke!…If you had some mentally ill c0-worker and you tried to get them help… andthey didn’t get it…what tact would you use?…what you guys do is encourage it!…

KOOLAID2 on August 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Yes, that is true. I do not know what I would do either.

Terrye on August 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Dr. Tesla on August 26, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Yet, from all you wrote about alt, 95% being wrong, you prove to be dumber than a rock.

For your own safety, in many regards, you being your biggest enemy, take this friendly advice. Lay low for a while.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Oh, blow it out the nearest orifice, Huckleberry. The Republican party stands for life, traditional marriage and the constitutional right to live one’s life according to one’s faith without interference from government. Where exactly is it that SocCons feel short-changed? You might consider occasionally how libertarians and conservatives (like I) who don’t base their votes on issues like abortion and gay marriage feel. You say we can’t win without you. Well, you can’t win without us. Think about that once in a while.

Hundreds? Really??

When Akin goes down–and he will–please God he takes Hucklehustler with him.

SukieTawdry on August 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM

KOOLAID2 on August 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Well I know I did nothing to discourage Dr. T., but then I am not sure Dr. T. is a person in much need of encouragement.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM

…in his case… I think we should leave him in his own little world…we’re not talking just physical ailments there.

KOOLAID2 on August 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I believe that people are responsible for their own actions, and I’m not absolving any criminal for any criminal act . . . period.

On the other hand, it is clear to me that there is no benevolent supreme being looking out for us, or answering our prayers, or intervening in our lives. Hideous, pointless destruction and harm befall the just and the unjust, all the time. If god is a kind and loving “heavenly father”–as we were taught–then he would at least attempt to comfort and explain to the victims, in a kind and compassionate way, why they have to suffer a rape, and how it fits into his “divine plan.” Even a earthly father would do that much. But, we never get an explanation from the Supreme One. No answer, no mercy, no nothing. Just a bunch of deer-in-the-headlights looks from the preachers, when we ask them to explain why such unjust things happen to “good” people. Such mental contortions they go through, trying to make fiction sound plausible.

Even I, seriously flawed creature that I am, could sit down at a table with a pencil and a piece of paper, and design a better world than the one in which we live. So could all of you. The “free will” argument doesn’t cut it, either. If god knows all, is all-powerful, and totally-loving, then why even allow serial killers, rapists, and murders to be born, at all? If he can stop evil from happening, but doesn’t stop it, then he isn’t all-loving. If you knew one of your daughters was about to be raped, wouldn’t you do everything within your power to stop it? Of course, you would.

If god’s all-knowing, then he has always known that the criminal would be born, and what kinds of heinous crimes he would commit. So . . . why no intervention on god’s part? Why does he sit back on his throne and allow the hideous, lawless free-for-all that life on Earth has always been? Is he trying to see just how much misery and pain we can take? What’s the point of that?

Jesus has been missing in action for 2000+ years, now. There is no rhyme or reason to life. Life just is. The world just is. The universe just is. Doesn’t reality have to dawn on us, at some point?

TheClearRiver on August 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I was lurking in this thread for a while last night. Wow, what a mess Tesla is…

OmahaConservative on August 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM

No moderator intervention. Weird.

Rusty Allen on August 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I have never once voted for a Democrat in my life, and I loathe Claire McCaskill, have been waiting 6 years to see her get booted, and after reading the Huckster’s comments, I’m probably going to vote for McCaskill this election. Take your ego, your Holy Crusade, your Bible thumping, and your Jesus freaks, and go home. I’m not buying. You sad, delusional twats. We could have won this race, booted McCaskill, and gotten a Senate majority. You turn yourself radioactive, then refuse to get out, and all your Southern Baptist pals rally around the flag quoting scripture. Screw it, you’ve convinced me to vote Dem for the first time in my life.

quikstrike98 on August 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I believe in God

I know rape happens

Pregnancy can happen in that case

…and I have not trusted Huckleberry since ’08.

Thoughts for today

congma on August 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

No moderator intervention. Weird.

Rusty Allen on August 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Beyond weird. It’s very frustrating, particularly because we have all seen commenters banned for less.

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Yup, far less. I have never seen a person keep digging and digging. Not even a warning. Last night was out of control.

Rusty Allen on August 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

TheClearRiver on August 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Yet I know for a fact that there is. I’m not going to get into an argument with you on just how I know that, because it is obvious from your response that you wouldn’t be receptive to it anyway. But I will pray that someday you’ll experience the peace and understanding from knowing without uncertainty that he does exist.

Flora Duh on August 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Did anyone report Tesla?

OmahaConservative on August 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM

quikstrike98 on August 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Oh for God’s sake, make up your damned mind, are you upset about him costing us the senate or not? You act lke your disappointed that we might lose the senate,band then in the very next sentence you let the cat out of the bag and real that you’re going to actively work to bring about that possibility.

Oh no, Huckabee and Akin have just cost us the Senate!!! Damn them for their obtuse So-Con intransigence. I’m going to show them all who’s in charge by voting Dem so we can lose the Senate.

RINO in Name Only on August 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Did anyone report Tesla?

OmahaConservative on August 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Don’t know OC, I wasn’t on the thread. I hope you all will understand when things become ugly. I do not enjoy what I will be doing. Please forgive me.

Bmore on August 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Bmore on August 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I’m not sure I follow. What do you mean by “when things become ugly”?

RINO in Name Only on August 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Did anyone report Tesla?

OmahaConservative on August 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I did. Late last night.

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Bmore on August 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I’m not sure I follow. What do you mean by “when things become ugly”?

RINO in Name Only on August 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I believe Bmore is referring to how he will react if/when he encounters the Doc on a thread. Anything “ugly” would be directed at the Doc.

Bmore, I completely understand your sentiments. However, the last thing I would want to see is a friend getting in trouble or banned because of that unstable poster. :)

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM

4Grace on August 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Oh, ok.

I agree, Bmore, Tesla isn’t worth getting in trouble over.

RINO in Name Only on August 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Almost made the 1,000 post mark!..:)

Dire Straits on August 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Remember WHO elected Akin!

Missouri ALLOWS Democrats to vote in the GOP Primary.

GUESS who Voted for Idiot-Brain, sponsored by Big-Spending Democrat with an (R) after his name?

Yeah – DEMOCRATS elected Akin!

williamg on August 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Almost made the 1,000 post mark!..:)

Dire Straits
on August 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Almost ? . . . Aw, gee … shucks.

listens2glenn on August 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Winner, “Worst Person Alive” – 2012:

williamg on August 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM

In- (expletive) -credible.

The rest of this comment has been deleted by commenter, to save his Hotair posting privileges

listens2glenn on August 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Yeah – DEMOCRATS elected Akin!

williamg on August 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Re-re-re-re-re-repeating . . . . . .

. . . . . . open primaries + the Democrat Super Delegates = Progressive Republicans nominated for the General Election.

ABOLISH OPEN PRIMARIES.