Tampa forecast: Scattered hurricanes with a chance of awesome

posted at 11:31 am on August 25, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

This coming week, I – along with an army of politicos, bloggers, journalists and gawkers of all stripes – plan to be descending on Tampa, Florida for the convention and seeing just what America’s Comeback Team has in store. (There will be a full host of Hot Air and Town Hall folk prowling the area, bringing you live coverage.) But like many of the visitors, I’m watching soon to be Hurricane Issac and wondering if they’ll even allow our planes to land.

Is this a sign from God? Or … just perhaps… a sign from the media that Mitt is doing a little too well for the comfort level of our media gatekeepers?

September will begin with Romney holding a gigantic financial advantage — and he will be using it closer to the election, when (assuming it’s well-conceived and useful) such spending will be far more effective than summer ads. Even more important for Romney was his vice-presidential pick. The selection of Paul Ryan has proved to be a spectacular success, and spectacular in unexpected ways.

It’s going to be a wild and wooly ride, both in terms of the weather and the activities of opponents. There may be anarchists afoot. Even worse, I heard rumors that they might be sending in Joe Biden. (Later reports, however, indicated that Joe thought better of it because of the weather. Poor baby.)

Of course, not all the dangers come in the form of potentially violent protesters and the wrath of Mother Nature. I’ll be sure to take the sound advice of Tampa resident Rick Wilson and stay out of the strip clubs. And there are apparently dangers involving panthers… not of the football variety.

Either way, assuming I can get my plane to touch down in the Sunshine State, I’ll have a mobile studio to wrangle some interviews and try to capture some of the sights and sounds of fury for you. But this weekend is a good time to toss out the question… what do you want to see? We’ll be going to events both inside and outside of the convention, but who would you like to hear from? Which events are on your radar? Let us know and we’ll see what we can do.

Comments

Godspeed, Jazz!

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Glad Isaac is missing Tampa, but it appears to be headed for Panama City Beach, where my 90-year-old mother lives. So let’s keep the Panhandle folks in mind as we celebrate in Tampa, please.

rockmom on August 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

This is the first I’ve heard that Biden canceled his appearance in Tampa. What a disappointment. I was so looking forward to the laughs.

RebeccaH on August 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Yeah, your front page pic is a bit old. Storm track is taking it further west.

catmman on August 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Whew. I have family in Tampa.

MelonCollie on August 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

rockmom on August 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

As a veteran of many hurricanes I say God bless. But if it helps..if Isaac stays at Cat 1 or below (TS)then chances are you may have some clean up in the yard to and occasional power outages. Hopefully the storm will do nothing but make the OWS miserable.

HoustonRight on August 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I prefer Ace’s weather map: http://goo.gl/SvffK

Blake on August 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

So you needed someone to tell you that the strip clubs would be a bad idea?
///

Bitter Clinger on August 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

This shows the storm moving due north.

I’ve seen a LOT of hurricane predictions that were WAY off. The next big update could be interesting. The satellite photos don’t predict the future but they’re more up to date than the forecasts and they are worth watching.

The next revision of the “projected path” is very likely to be somewhat east of the current one. There’s even a chance that the storm will track on the Atlantic side of FL. It wouldn’t be the first time the forecast was off by that much.

Pythagoras on August 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Heh, years ago I was going to move my boat to Punta Gorda or Charlotte or something like that on the west coast of Florida. It was one of those communities where canals go right to your property. That summer, as I was getting ready to close, first one, then another hurricane turned from heading toward Alabama and slammed right into the coastline where I was going to buy. So now, my boat is still out west, on Lake Mead.
Anyway, be safe Jazz. And rockmom and MelonCollie, your families are in my thoughts.

SailorMark on August 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Geez Jazz, we sometimes get afternoon thunderstorms with more rain and wind than a Cat 1. I have no doubt you’ll be able to fly into TIA. And if for some reason you can’t, they can dump you at MCO and shuttle you across 1-4 to Tampa.

However; if it lingers too long in the Gulf, it could become a big problem for those in the panhandle. Prayers for your mother rockmom.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

It wouldn’t be the first time the forecast was off by that much.

Pythagoras on August 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM

After Katrina hurricane Rita was forecast as a direct hit to Houston/Galveston 36 hrs prior to landfall. It ended up east of Beaumont. That is the year many lost their lives during the evacuations. So…a long winded way to say GOOD POINT!

HoustonRight on August 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Divine Provenance.

Anarchist, Black Block, #Occupy and standard run of the mill Communists will not riot in the rain. Just like Mayday May 1 in NYC was a dud because it was raining. They are the sum of sunshine patriots and without sunshine or calm nights they say home for the most part.

tjexcite on August 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Maybe uncle Joe got himself some “As seen on tv! MIRACLE HAIR!”
Something tells me that doesn’t mix with rain.

katy the mean old lady on August 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Opps..forgot to close the tag. Apologies!

HoustonRight on August 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I’m looking to see and hear from the big names, of course: Christie, Rubio, etc. Also looking forward to hearing Anne Romney speak, as I hear she’s good at it. And, from listening to a few of the on-the-trail campaign speeches by Romney and Ryan, I’m definitely looking forward to what he has to say. Not so much looking forward to Huckabee this time, although I watch his show occasionally. To be honest, I’m just looking forward to the WHOLE thing (which is a huge change for me, as I usually just look for a few key speeches, and that’s it). This year, our Convention seems just PACKED with star-talent (for the Republican party) compared to the Sandra Flukes of the Dem Convention. I can’t wait for next week to start. I am upset that I only work 3 days next week, but I’ll also be smiling to be able to watch more of the convention during the week (I’m off Tuesday- Thursday and Saturday currently).

Highlar on August 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

tjexcite on August 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Aww, I was looking forward to the dumb bassets dropping like little flies. The masks and the black turtlenecks don’t mix with Florida summer.

katy the mean old lady on August 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Since you asked all nicely . . . . I’d like to hear from our conservative politicos their plans to repeal Obamacare, get the economy on the fast track, what to do about unemployed Americans, and energy independence.

I’ve heard enough about Akins, the dogs, phony war on women, and contraception. I don’t want to hear a single word from Mitch McConnell; but an interview with Jim DeMint would be good.

joecollins on August 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

One good thing from the approaching storm, the protesters well hopefully get very soaked. It might be the first bath many have had in months.

Dasher on August 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

What I don’t want to see is The Huckster.

katy the mean old lady on August 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

katy the mean old lady on August 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Did you hear about the Tampa police finding bricks, pipes and anarchist graffiti on the rooftop of a building near the convention center?

As someone here mentioned, rooftops and metal pipes are not a good combination – in the lightning capital of the world. :-)

Talked to my baby girl earlier, she says there’s a run on the stores in Pompano.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I know. That’s why I’m staying away from any grocery store.Dropped the shutters just in case.
May go to a friends house. He has a fuul house generator and plenty of booze. We can watch the screen over the pool get whisked away. Again.

katy the mean old lady on August 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Each update from the National Hurricane Center – where everyone else, including the Weather Channel, get their data – has shown a definite westward shift in the projected path over the last couple of days. They publish updates every three hours. 8 am, 11 am, 2 pm, etc.

Track as of 11 am update

If you look past the NHC public advisories and read the discussions, they give great information as to some of the atmospheric conditions such as area low pressure systems, troughs, ridges and shear that help shape their projections. While tropical storms and hurricanes are not totally predictable, they ‘canna change the laws of physics’ any more than the Democrats can change the laws of supply and demand just by wishing.

I’ve lived in Tampa for 30 years and in Sarasota for 10 years before that and it’s my humble opinion that the Weather Channel is a pretty dang poor source for decent hurricane information. They always focus on the most sensationalistic coverage/predictions. I lost total faith in them after they made fools of themselves the year we got hit with FOUR hurricanes making landfall. :P

Rockmom, I’ll keep your mom in my prayers. So far it looks like Isaac might only be a Cat 1 when he hits the panhandle so that mostly means just a lot of rain, some flooding and some power outages.

Fortunately, it seems that Isaac will simply give Tampa some nice rain/thunderstorms which will hopefully dampen the spirits of the unsheltered anarchists and other protestors.

BTW, when y’all watch the big balloon drop on the last day, my son, hubby and I, as part of a local hs chorus, helped blow up the 100,000 balloons. :D For the chorus’ participation the chorus program received a very generous donation.

Jazz, welcome to town! Definitely stay out of the strip clubs. lol Any coverage of Ann Romney and Paul Ryan would be greatly appreciated. :D

Kirin on August 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Remember Wilbur Mills!!

Khun Joe on August 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Vaya con Dios, senor…

JohnGalt23 on August 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Lubbock NEVER gets any interesting weather. pout.
*If it did, I’d be a storm chaser*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Zombie.

BallisticBob on August 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Lol. I look forward to some coverage of soggy Occupiers. I bet they smell worse than wet dog.

bitsy on August 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Y’all seen this?

annoyinglittletwerp on August 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I personally am excited to hear Ann Romney speak, plus Paul Ryan, Chris Christie and Mitt himself. But I thin I’m most excited about Ann Romney, and then hear what Democrats will try to lay on her afterwards.

lizzieillinois on August 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Follow the money and see who is trying to pay for access to Romney. They will try to keep the federal money spigot open, and will spend lavishly to do it. Let’s see who they are.

richardb on August 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Dasher on August 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Hmmm, in addition to assembly permits, they are going to need hazardous runoff permits as well. Isn’t it illegal to dump toxic chemicals and biohazards into storm sewers?

AZfederalist on August 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM

lol, twerp. Most of us long term residents of FL do tend to get pretty weather obsessed. :D

I remember visiting various friends down in the Keys and just about every home had a white board hurricane tracking chart hanging up somewhere. O.o

FloraDuh, great point about metal rods and lightning. hehehe Tampa police are definitely on the alert for anarchist plots. Fortunately, as others have pointed out, those types are usually easily cowed by bad weather.

I will admit that some of our normal afternoon summer thundershowers can seem rather…intense for those who aren’t used to them. :::evil grin:::

Kirin on August 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Are there any updates on the attempted media blackout of Ann Romney? This is a potentially huge story.

rockmom on August 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I bet they smell worse than wet dog.

bitsy on August 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

The word is then you RWNJ

- MoveOn.org

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Stick around the beach in Clearwater to catch all the R’s skinny dipping in the Gulf. You just know they’re going to be there.

Dusty on August 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

rockmom on August 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

She will be speaking Tuesday night.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Kirin on August 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It started to pour just as I was leaving work with my groceries last night, and everyone was huddle by the doors waiting for rides. After a few minutes I said out loud: Screw it. I’m a Chicago girl. A little rain won’t hurt me.I made a mad dash to where my husband had pulled up and was none the worse for wear. Wimps. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Welcome to my hometown. :)

taternuggets on August 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Stephen K. Bannon, and David Bossie said that they will be rolling out their movie “The Hope & the Change” at the RNC. Would really like to see some coverage on this event.

oldfiveanddimer on August 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Here’s to Tropical Storm Isaac just missing Tampa allowing the RNC to go on fully and successfully — but rains and blows on the OWS/Anarchists hard enough that they show up only in limited numbers — but numbers enough to make complete asses of themselves for the news cameras so the whole country can witness their asshattery and simultaneously be constantly reminded that Preezy Barack Hussein Obama, San Fran Nan Pelosi, and the bulk of the entire Left wholeheartedly supports and encourages them.

…and here’s to clear skies, extremely high humidity, and 100°F weather in Charlotte, North Carolina at Bank of America stadium [that still cracks me up] for the DNC. All those Tampa protestors and their pent up angst along with their ‘supplies’ relocated and combined with all the originally slated Charlotte protestors raining down on the DNC and together showing and demonstrating their deep appreciation for the wholehearted libtard support during prime-time next week!

muahahahahahaaa

FlatFoot on August 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Just a little off-topic:

Rand Paul’s response to Team Liar’s weekly radio propaganda

This boy is going to light it up in Tampa.

JohnGalt23 on August 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Lubbock NEVER gets any interesting weather. pout.
*If it did, I’d be a storm chaser*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Haven’t been there long enough to weather tornado season have you? Weather is very important out on the Texas plains, especially during that season.

/My grandparents were near Wichita Falls, TX. Spent a number of summer nights in the storm cellar when we visited them.

AZfederalist on August 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

TAMPA — An alliance of more than 60 labor, peace, student, immigrant rights, gay and lesbian and other groups says it’s ready for a 5,000-person march on the first day of the Republican National Convention.

“There will be nothing that will stop us from marching in the streets to demand good jobs, health care, affordable education, equality and peace and to oppose the party of legitimate rape,” said Corey Uhl of the local chapter of Students for a Democratic Society.

The Coalition to March on the RNC plans to meet at 10 a.m. Monday at Perry Harvey Park. It is expected to hear from more than 40 speakers before marching around noon south toward the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

Protesters are expected to come on buses from as far away as New York, Minnesota, Illinois and the state of Washington, organizers say. The crowd could include more than 700 college students. A member of Occupy Wall Street is expected to arrive with three busloads of demonstrators.

Organizers say the march will be peaceful and contend that any trouble is likely to be started by police.

Asked whether the march will try to prevent anyone from, for example, breaking windows or throwing rocks, march leader Jared Hamil said, “If they break the law, well, it’s the law. Whatever the law says.”

But Hamil declined to criticize groups that might not follow organizers’ plans for a peaceful march with a permit from the city. Source

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

She will be speaking Tuesday night.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I sooo can’t wait to hear her! Think she’s the one speaker I’m most looking forward to this coming week. Most of the others we’ve heard from before.

Not sure how well the media non-coverage of the convention on Monday is going to work when that’s the day when we’ll get the worst effect from Isaac. Poor media will be torn between ignoring the RNC on Monday or being able to have ‘daring journalists braving death in high winds’ covering the Big Storm™. :::snickers:::

Kirin on August 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I hope it rains on you like a cow pissing on a flat rock, Jazz. I hope your gear is waterproof — and leaks.

FlatFoot on August 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

via [Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM]

In other words, “No!”

Dusty on August 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

AZfederalist on August 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I’ve here since April, 2011-and a twister hit Wolfforth a few months back. Damaged a few houses. We live east and miss all the cool weather. Being in a not=very-strong twister would be cool.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I bet Ann Romney rocks the house. I’ve seen seen some of her speaking as of late and it’s gloves off. It’s great. Wonderful lady. It will be so nice to have elegance in the Whitehouse again.

wolly4321 on August 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

This country doesn’t need another Hurricane right now. Hopefully, it will be a Cat 1 or hit in a low population area.

Oil Can on August 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

It will be so nice to have elegance in the Whitehouse again.

wolly4321 on August 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Whatchewtalkinbout wolly?

-MO

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Hurricane?

You want Hurricane?

How about Hurricane Barack making landfall on January 20, 2009.

Now THAT was a CAT 5!!!

PappyD61 on August 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Taking notes. Thanks! Will keep an eye out for the movie premiere info. We still don’t have the finalized daytime media events listing from Romney’s guys, but should be this evening.

Jazz Shaw on August 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

In other words, it will be peaceful until it’s not.

AZfederalist on August 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hurricane?

You want Hurricane?

How about Hurricane Barack making landfall on January 20, 2009.

Now THAT was a CAT 5 Eleventy!1!!!!

PappyD61 on August 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

BallisticBob on August 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I just checked crownweather.com and they show the storm going west, not hitting Tampa at the last up-date.
L

letget on August 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

How about Hurricane Barack making landfall on January 20, 2009.

Now THAT was a CAT 5!!!

PappyD61 on August 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

… and the damage was exacerbated by the previous landfall in January 2007 of the twin hurricanes, Hurricane Nancy and Hurricane Harry.

AZfederalist on August 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

LOL I actually grew up in a small rural town about a half hour west of Chicago. The occasional blizzard and -20+ wind chill convinced my parents to move to Sarasota, FL when I was 13. :D

I don’t think the protesters will be able to do much chaos. Security is already pretty tight downtown. When my son’s chorus went to the TBT Forum to blow up balloons by way of three charter buses, we could see line after line of fences and barricades throughout downtown.

At the Forum, even though the convention hadn’t started yet, we were required to have photo IDs with us, issued ‘pre-convention’ credentials and escorted by security professionals to the area where the kids would be working. Media were already at the Forum setting up their areas. They even interviews some of the chorus kids as they worked on the balloons. :D

Some of the network media setups were pretty impressive. Hope they give you good digs, Jazz!

Kirin on August 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Could you get us some shots and interviews from inside the strip clubs? I’ve never been and have always been curious.:)

a capella on August 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

*interviewed Beh, bad fingers.

Kirin on August 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Jazz! See if you can get an interview with Mia Love, the candidate for Utah’s 4th congressional district. She’s going up against a democrat (I actually voted for him when I lived there), and I want to see what she has to say. I wouldn’t vote for her opponent again, but I think she could use the exposure!

Komsomoletz on August 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Keep us posted Jazz. We hang on your every word. You totally pawn the weekend content of this site..

wolly4321 on August 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

What I hope to see is:

Ann Romney spreading the word of how generous Mitt has been, personally and without fanfare, to people in need. He is too modest to toot his own horn, but it needs tooting. I have read about his generosity, but these incidents have tended to fly under the radar.

In my dreams, I picture a video of not just him with her and his boys, but also with visual testimonials from those he has substantially aided.

These personal stories need to be told. Hopefully at the convention.

marybel on August 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Ooo, Jazz, as a local, one thing I’d like to see some coverage of are the many big exclusive parties that will be held around town. One of the biggest parties is said to be held at the old Kress building downtown.
link to story

We hear plenty about the formal events, but how about some info about the glitzy parties?

Kirin on August 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM

L

letget on August 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Tampa will be on the right side of the storm once it gets into the Gulf. Unless it drifts dramatically to the west they will get some of the bands from it.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Komsomoletz on August 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Did I read somewhere that Mia Love will give a speech, or an intro or something ?.
She’s awesome.

pambi on August 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM

To answer your question, Jazz, I’d like to hear what Romney’s plans are to address the illegal immigration problem. (ICE, Border Patrol being able to do their jobs, etc.)
Next to ObamaCare, this is one of our main problems, with tentacles that affect practically everything.

SailorMark on August 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

It would be interesting to hear why Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson is so passionate about the Texas Solution! He worked hard (and quietly I would add) to get the guest worker plank into the Texas Republican platform. Then, followed up in Tampa to make sure he succeeded in its inclusion at the national level.

Folks who are paying attention here in Texas are hopping mad with him. Patterson is vying for Lt. Gov, a position currently held by the vaunted David Dewhurst. Another candidate, Todd Staples the agriculture commissioner, is interested in the Lt Gov job. Staples has voiced opposition to the Texas Solution.

Patterson could be an insightful interview for those of us wondering what the heck happened to him?!

suburbanmom on August 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM

You are correct, I should have said, not a direct hit. The bands of rain and could be tornados might cause problems for y’all?
L

letget on August 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

letget on August 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Yes, tornadoes are one of the main concerns with a storm like this.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I see that the Cone of Silence does not show the hurricane possibly bringing rain here to KC. Pity. We could use a drink. At least the folks around So IL, So IN, KY may get some much needed precip.

mdenis39 on August 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Marybel- yep. We can argue policy, but Mitt is a nice guy. A generous one. There are a lot of stories that need to be told/heard. He’s a decent man.

That’s important.

If you had a handshake deal,,,, barky or Mitt?

wolly4321 on August 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Let’s hope that when it makes land that it’s only a 1 or a TS, because remember we are dealing with a liberal media and a Republican convention. The narrative could quickly change to -”how could those heartless Republicans carry on at a meaningless convention when people are suffering?”

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

BTW, in case people think that glitzy parties just enhance the Dem stereotype of rich, self-serving Repubs, the party locale I’m talking about was an old historic section of downtown that, THANKS TO THE RNC, is getting a terrific rehab that will be the foundation for full renovations.
a more RNC friendly link

Yeah, Tampa will get rain bands which will probably cause some localized flooding and more than usual thunderstorms.

I would love to hear more about Mia Love as well as other lesser followed Senate and House candidates.

Kirin on August 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I’m right in the eye’s path as of now in the Destin area. Cat II or lower we are hunkering down. Other than that we are out of here Monday morning to include our 1 week old daughter.

…..my family joked that without power I would be without HotAir and my world would come crashing down. Pretty accurate!

Meat Fighter on August 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM

If you had a handshake deal,,,, barky or Mitt?
wolly4321 on August 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Badly has spent a fortune trying to “kill Romney”, to make Mitt look like a heartless SOB.
Conventions were invented to correct perceptions like this.

Handshake? No contest. Mitt by a landslide.

marybel on August 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Unlike the dumbas**s in New Orleans, Floridians are veterans at hurricanes. Cat 1 storm will cause some drainage issues, maybe some downed power lines, some branches to fall that needed to come down anyway. No big deal really….this and the RNC convention is the catalyst for some epic parties.

Renee on August 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Romney holding a gigantic financial advantage

They’ll probably be using that phrase a lot – trying to pretend the Rich White Man is using his limitless personal wealth to crush the Poor Black Child. They’ll do everything they can to hide the fact that Romney’s DONATIONS are a lot bigger — and from a much more widespread base — than Obama’s donations.

logis on August 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Yes, tornadoes

Believe it or not, I actually went to spell check to make sure I spelled tornadoes(tornados from spell check) correct. Guess it lied to me? Sorry for the incorrect spelling!
L

letget on August 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Sorry for the incorrect spelling!
L

letget on August 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

lol Don’t worry about it.

tornadoes – tornados

potato – potatoe

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM

‘Storm Front’?

Not the best choice of subhead, Jazz. Please change it. Do not link us in any way to those vile slimeballs.

Bartrams Garden on August 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

No worries. With the spoilers already splashed across the planet’s media what is the big deal? Probably the biggest headline for the MSM will be the NBC reporter standing in light shower and blabbering on about the great flood of 2012.

Limerick on August 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

One the bright side maybe the winds will blow Jeb north of the Rino-Dixon line.

Limerick on August 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

What Flora said. In all likelihood this will only cause a problem for the protestors.

Now what you need to be more concerned about, Jazz, is to find the time to go to the Columbia restaurant.

Have some of their sangria and gazpacho Andaluz or Spanish bean soup. I absolutely love their palomilla.

INC on August 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Just don’t fail to try the Cubans at Interbay Meat Market.

If you like Ribs, Uncle Rodney’s on South MacDill are the bomb.

J.E. Dyer on August 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I can also highly recommend Sally O’Neil’s Pizza at South Howard and Mississippi in Hyde Park. The white pizza is a bucket-list item. You can order out or enjoy the unpretentious ambiance at the restaurant.

J.E. Dyer on August 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I’m flying down to Tampa tomorrow for this, so am definitely looking forward to a fun week. Fortunately I don’t frequent strip clubs, so I needn’t worry about being caught on tape coming out of “Kitty McTitty’s Boom Boom Room” or another of Tampa’s fine cabaret establishments!

Any tips/recommendations native Floridians or convention pros want to offer this newbie??.

Outlander on August 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I’m getting hungry!

INC on August 25, 2012 at 2:34 PM

letget on August 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Yep…tornadoes cause much of the damage during these storms.

Tampa will be on the wet side of the storm, too, so flooding could be a problem, though it could, also, clean out some of the riff raff. ;o)

kakypat on August 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Outlander on August 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Don’t let us hear about you skinny dipping, either………mmmkay?

Have fun!

kakypat on August 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I took a look at that Panther Website. Those things look just like Mountain Lions.

trigon on August 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Andrew Wilkow.

BallisticBob on August 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Panthers and debris not the only thing blown around by these hurricanes. Maybe CBS will discover its next Dan Rather.

de rigueur on August 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

…have fun Jazz!

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Jazz if your going to be down there just give us here at HotAir an accurate description of the weather – good or bad. I won’t believe a thing the newscaster of any channel tells me as they all embelish the weather to make it a big news story – especially that Ginger woman on ABC World News. Have to “mute” when she comes on the screen.

traditionalgal on August 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Drudge reporting FLASH GOP may have to forego Day 1 of convention – hopefully just a precaution and not new concern w storm track.

More likely, MSM blackmailing GOP – will report endlessly on “insensitivity” of GOP to hold convention during other people’s misfortune. Hope the Romney people give them the finger (like birther crap) and move forward.

Off topic – One of the c-span channels broadcasting past GOP presidential acceptance speeches this evening – Reagan 1980 early evening tonight.

matthew8787 on August 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Meat Fighter on August 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Congratulations on your new daughter !
Be sure to stay safe, and report back after this is all over.
:-)

pambi on August 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM

It’s a Tropical Storm not a hurricane. There will be lot of rain and some windy weather for a couple of hours. Get a grip. If you like Latin food try Cap Devilla on Columbus Dr. For a more entertaining evening with great food go to Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. Whiskey Joe’s on the Causeway is a good time with a view.

Kissmygrits on August 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Jazz, are there any events that you know of that us poor shlubs who can’t get into the convention can attend? I’d love to go hang out somewher with you, other bloggers, and like-minded people!
I was downtown today and there is law enforcement everywhere. Large groups of police on foot and on bike- even saw two tanks on Kennedy. Very cool!
And, if you like hot dogs, go to Frankie’ s on Kennedy. One of my favorites.

ConArtist in Tampa on August 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM