Box office shocker. 2016 Obama’s America at #3?

posted at 8:31 pm on August 25, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

We all know the rules when it comes to political films, right? They’re just not worth sinking your money into them because people don’t watch. With the sole exception of one “documentary” by Michael Moore, they don’t cover their own costs and people don’t turn out to the theater for them. This is particularly true if you try to produce one from a conservative point of view in the liberal lock-down atmosphere of Hollywood. Well, hold on to your hats. It looks like the the very unflattering critique of the current administration, 2016 Obama’s America, is set to come in at number three this weekend and turn a profit in the first 24 hours since its wide release. (It actually premiered six weeks ago and was previously in limited release.)

As predicted Millenium/Lionsgate’s The Expendables 2 will finish in first place Friday and this weekend. It’s followed by Universal’s The Bourne Legacy in second place and the Rocky Mountain Pictures’ documentary 2016 Obama’s America in third place after starting out Friday #1. That’s stunning because it’s playing in a 1/3 less theaters across North American than the other wide release actioners. (See below for more details). However, its hot pre-sales have made the pic frontloaded, and its ranking will fall steeply by end of Sunday. But its new cume after this weekend could make it the #1 conservative documentary (ahead of Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed’s $7.7M). The success of the anti-Obama pic comes on the eve of the Republican National Convention August 27-30.

In case you missed it, here’s the trailer.

Entertainment Weekly explains why the math involved in this film’s rising status is so puzzling to industry insiders, and not just because of the content.

You see, normally, when a film’s theater count increases, the amount of money it’s earning in each theater decreases. This is the standard performance pattern for a limited release and follows common supply/demand logic.

Here’s how things have gone for 2016: Obama’s America, though: Three weekends ago, 2016 earned $34,133 out of 10 theaters, which gave it a per theater average of $3,413 — not all that remarkable for a limited release. When it expanded into 61 theaters the next weekend, its per theater average did a funny thing: it jumped up to $5,202. Last weekend, the film experienced an even bigger expansion, into 169 theaters, and again, its per theater average substantially leapt up to $7,365.

Let’s be clear: this almost never happens.

Let’s be clear about something else that “almost never happens.” It’s a movie which is critical of Democrats ever seeing the light of day outside the production studio. This film only cost $2.5M to make and it looks like it’s going to have taken in nearly four times that amount by the time the convention kicks off. It’s a fairly remarkable story.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Well, how in the world will the nightly news handle this? Will they do #1 and #2 top movies only for the weekend so they won’t have to mention it???

shar61 on August 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM

It’s why he won’t enforce our immigration laws, and why he’s spending our money on programs to sign up more illegal aliens for food stamps and other taxpayer-funded welfare benefits. And so many U.S. citizen liberals are completely oblivious. K. Powers had an article just the other day insisting that it’s a “myth” that illegal aliens are receiving welfare! It’s astonishing how wilfully blind so many people are to what is going on right in front of their faces.

AZCoyote on August 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yes. His welfare for illegals will hasten the economic collapse of the nation, while also redistributing American resources to the Third World. A perfect scenario for barack. And yes, it is stunning that American citizens support this guy, spin for him, and plan to vote for him. But like I said above, his vision of this country as an evil empire that must be destroyed is the exact vision being taught in public schools, most private schools, and all but a small handful of colleges and universities. Bill Ayers was HIRED and made a full professor by a state-funded university in the Midwest, for God’s sake. Honestly, if Conservatives were smart, they’d be looking at ways to completely dismantle public education. Failing that, I fear the country is nearly lost, and will be entirely lost within 20 years. Barack’s vision of an America vastly diminished or outright destroyed, because we deserve it, will be the national vision.

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Has anyone here watched it?

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Yes, and it was quite good and very professionally done, perfectly written for an “independent” type voter, but almost everyone here knows most of what’s shown. Saw it when it debuted in Houston a few weeks ago, but yesterday decided to do a little test.

I took 7 people who work at a restaurant I frequent to see it. Three girls and 1 guy are committed libs, and were going to vote for Obama again. The other 3, 2 girls and another guy, are completely apolitical, don’t give a damn types, who don’t vote at all.

After seeing it, all of the Obama bots said they are NOT going to vote for Obama at all this time, with 2 of them going to go Romney, the other 2 staying home. Of the non-comms, 2 are going to vote against Obama (for Romney), their very first time to vote (although they’re in their mid-20s) the other one still not knowing what to do.

Yes, anecdotal, but the movie’s that powerful. By the way, going into the movie, they had no idea about my preferences, and I had told them all that I supported Obama in 2008 (a lie) and wanted to see what to do this time.

TXUS on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Is there any way to set the comments so the newest ones are at the top

ArthurMachado on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Where are the trolls?

Brayam should be braying up a storm about evil whitey or something.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:42 PM

For you guys who heard about the film a while ago, where did you hear about it? I just learned about it during the last few days.

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM

The fringe media will have a hard time explaining this away, especially since D’Souza was intelligent enough to add criticism from pols and the Obama media to the movie.

This really angered up the blood, but for those who have not yet seen it, I don’t want to say anything else.

madmonkphotog on August 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Laura Ingraham has been talking about it for a few weeks now, and she interviewed D’Souza this past week.

AubieJon on August 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM

TXUS on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Totally agree. It is pitch-perfect for independents/non-likely voters who will be shocked to learn some of the basic facts of Obama’s biography. However, for those who comment on a conservative website that only has open registration a couple of times a year, you probably already know most of the stuff in this movie and will be a little bored.

So yeah, if you have any uninformed friends who are undecided/leaning Obama, it is your civic duty to take them to see this film. Otherwise, you can expect to get a little bored after an hour.

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM

…here!

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Doing the job the Msm refuses to do.

jake49 on August 25, 2012 at 9:48 PM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

And they weren’t even giving away free beer or riding the coattails of a rock band!

:-)

Solaratov on August 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Just a couple hundred people there. No big deal.

SouthernGent on August 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Did my part – just got back from taking my two teenage boys to see it. We are still talking about it. Half the theatre applauded at the end, one guy yell out “WAKE UP AMERICA”.

ctmom on August 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Is there any way to set the comments so the newest ones are at the top

ArthurMachado on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

New kid eh?

Rio Linda Refugee on August 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

ArthurMachado on August 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM

And one should care about the opinions of some “Men on Film”

bayview on August 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I saw it this morning and highly recommend it. Even if you think you know all there is to know about Obama, go.

D’Souza digs into Obama’s upbringing and the influences that shaped his worldview & ties it all together to explain the things he has already done & what he will do if he gets four more years. Truly chilling.

And yes, take your kids. Mine are 10, 12 & 13 and they were actually excited to see it {little political junkies!}

JA on August 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Saw it this afternoon. I can see both LawDawg’s and Rational’s points; however, it is worth seeing to support a conservative movie and you might learn something new.

I am still aggravated about Barry’s commie mother. It sickens me that if she hadn’t warped young Barry, we might not be standing at the precipice right now.

Go see it; go vote on 6 Nov.

H.E. Pennypacker on August 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM

If it shows up in my small community, I’m going to race to see it.

O/T, Hannity was talking about another documentary to be shown at the conventions called “The Hope and The Change.” It showcases Dens and Independents who voted for obama last time around. They talk about how they are disappointed in what he hasn’t done for them and the dire straits they are in. Apparently a Tv deal is in the works. Pat Cadell was involved in identifying who should be interviewed.

Also, I’m reading “The Amateur”. Fantastic book. It will piss you off at the fraud in chief.

COgirl on August 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Yes. His mother was a real nasty piece of work. I was stunned by that. And also that the grandfather — her father — was a hardcore lefty who “spent hours and hours” with Frank Marshall Davis — and with Davis and young barack. Knowing that Davis was a pedophile, and that barack’s mother, and then barack, were/are such absolute messes, I suspect there is a lot more family dysfunction there than anyone knows about.

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Yes. There was no doubt about family dysfunction, and to my mind there is no doubt that BO is a sick individual. I don’t say that lightly.

When it is reported that he “hates” Mitt Romney, I can believe it. Look at the manner in which he has treated Paul Ryan. His aloofness which his admirers think is an indication of his intelligence and lack of interest in lesser beings is actually the result of his inability to deal with opposition. If he could, Valerie Jarrett would be unnecessary. She is his mommy. She protects him and tells him what to do. He wants to be around strong men but only if they share his ideology.

One could go on and on, but the guy is a wreck, a sociopath. Not only was he steeped in marxist, anti-American ideology (why else would he gravitate to the Chicago TUCC and Rev. Wright and his ghastly wife?), but his childhood was NOT “exotic” – it was really screwed up.

Well, that’s unfortunate for Barry. But I don’t give a damn about him. What I care about is the fact that this hideous person has been foisted upon millions of people who did not deserve him.

RT, great summaries. There’s so much that is completely effed up with this guy, that it’s difficult to find a starting point. I could ramble on for days.

Most of us know the material in “2016″, but it’s heartening to see that so many people are anxious to find out what the media and the Dems hid from the public in 2008. The backlash may be huge in electoral terms.

Cody1991 on August 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM

not for nothing but this hasn’t exactly been pushed by the conservative media either. I’m a total Hotair and Ace of Spades junkie but this wasn’t even on my radar until I heard it was doing so good.

Me too, I just hear about this on drudge… and that’s when it had already been doing well…

How exactly is this movie doing so well already… I read all the big conservative outlets and had never heard of it.

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

There’ve been adverts for it all over talk radio for a while now.

captn2fat on August 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Here’s the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBX8sz3tO8

There was laughter and a few gasps when this was shown in the film. I suspect many people in the theater had never seen this before.

otisframpton on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Thanks otis!

Yeah, I followed the Obamacare debate closely, and I really do not remember this one ever making the rounds in the conservative media. As someone said earlier, it is absolutely cringe-worthy.

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM

That was the same appearance where he said a kid would need a breathalyzer for asthma!

He blamed it on not having enough sleep. It was a TOTUS malfunction. What an idiot.

Brat on August 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I saw the movie with my wife last night. What struck me is the anti-colonialist bent of Obama and how his moves are less a “take care of the poor” approach, but more so an “eat the rich” approach. It’s vengefulness. I almost feel sorry for the guy, but…..not really.

ted c on August 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

ted c on August 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You mean you “bless his heart”? ;)

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM

We went last Saturday night to the Rim IMAX Multiplex in San Antonio. 7:20pm showing. The theater was so full we had to sit in the second row from the screen because we got there at 7:00pm. There actually was not an empty seat in the house. Despite the sore neck from looking at it practically straight up, I thoroughly enjoyed it as evidently did the rest of the audience, as judged from the thunderous applause at the conclusion.

NOMOBO on August 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM

heh…yeah. bless his heaaaaarrrt./

ted c on August 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Thanks otis!

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Oh, it’s the famous “I can’t hear myself”-clip. I remember it very well.

Gelsomina on August 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM

on the face of it this seems to be disasterous for 0bama but fahrenheit 9/11 made tons of movie and didnt seem to hurt Bush back in 2004 so i wouldnt read too much into this.

chasdal on August 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM

What is great about a movie like this is that it will inform an older generation that does not access the internet and that gets its “news” only from the MSM.

The younger generations have been “taught” in public schools to dismiss the dangers of communism/collectivism as a bogeyman. They need to be exposed to some real history lessons.

Obama is sympathetic to the unrest in the ME and in Africa because he sees the response as “social justice” to right the wrongs of colonialism.

onlineanalyst on August 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM

New kid eh?

Rio Linda Refugee on August 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

yep – learned about H/A in January after I gave up on my drudge addiction when he used his power to destroy gingrich – no i’m not a gingrich fan – i just like my news to not be twisted by the aggregator’s view – I still haven’t been back to drudge and I’m not ever going to if I can help it – as it turns out this place is better.

I use a low powered netbook so it is hard for me to scroll down that is why I asked if you can set it to put the newest comments first.

ArthurMachado on August 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Great movie and a must see!!! All conservatives should go see it!

I see some in the thread grumbling about how it basically not shedding a new information on Obama that most of us don’t already know.

Take a low information voter with you then.

Bottom line is if we want to see more conservative movies come out, we need to support them!

Raquel Pinkbullet on August 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM

AubieJon on August 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Beck has been talking it up for weeks too

Vntnrse on August 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM

chasdal on August 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I agree 100%… the success of this film doesn’t mean anything.

But I think Fahrenheit 9/11 was hurt by the fact that it was released too soon. By the time of election day there was a big reaction against it. It was debunked and there were even a couple movie responses to it.

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I read all the big conservative outlets and had never heard of it.

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

It’s been in heavy promo rotation on Fox. Hannity especially.

John the Libertarian on August 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Rotten Tomatoes shows it as 4 tomatoes and 3 rotten tomatoes – but still shows it as 57% rotten – it should be 57% positive – so they messed with the reviews rating system just for this film – also it doesn’t even show it as the top ten – why does that not surprise me – also 81% audience approval rating.

ArthurMachado on August 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Actually, Rotten Tomatoes has it right. A film needs to have 60% positive to be shown with a fresh tomato. Look at “The Bourne Legacy” and “Sparkle” — 55% of the reviews are positive but that’s not good enough to get them a fresh tomato overall.

Anyway, seven reviews aren’t really enough to get a good sample.

J.S.K. on August 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM

yep, there is a big difference between a may and august release. and maybe the de-bunking is the key. can something factual and not sensationalist be de-bunked effectively? i would think not

chasdal on August 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Otherwise, you can expect to get a little bored after an hour.

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM

That’s exactly my reluctance. I’m such a junkie that little of this will be news to me.

What is surprising, however, is how few liberals have bothered to read either of Obama’s autobiographies.

John the Libertarian on August 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Not in a theater close to me, but I bought a ticket on Fandango anyway. I hope that counts in the box office total.

byepartisan on August 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

conservative pilgrim on August 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Absolutely take teens. I took my 15 and 17 yo boys. They are very informed, (can sing along with the theme song for Sean Hannity radio show) and they found it scary. They are the future, they have to see it and not be afraid to tell their friends.

ctmom on August 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM

John the Libertarian on August 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Even though it is nothing new for us, it is not boring. Dinesh D’souza ties it all up in a nice little package. Just seeing Obama stutter and stumble and hearing the reactions of people who have never seen or heard that is priceless. To hear the reaction to people who have never heard Nancy Pelosi say “you have to pass it to see whats in it” is worth every penny.

ctmom on August 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Brat on August 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

It really is remarkable how he is unable to speak extemporaneously in a coherent fashion. Makes one wonder how (if?) he was able to make a living as a lawyer. No wonder Mr. Harvard Law grad was satisfied to be an untenured, part-time law lecturer for so many years. (Remember that time he took the TOTUS into a classroom full of 6-year olds? Un-friggin-believeable! But Saturday Night Live still can’t find anything remotely funny about the guy).

AZCoyote on August 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Is there any way to set the comments so the newest ones are at the top

ArthurMachado on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

New kid eh?

Rio Linda Refugee on August 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM

We’re down with it Artie…..

Tenwheeler on August 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM

2. That clip of Obama talking about the cost of Obamacare during the townhall meeting, failing, and then pretending like the audience was being to raucous for him to get his answer out. Good Lord, how have I never seen that before? I asked a few of my conservative friends, and they had never seen it either. Has anyone here ever seen that footage before? And if so, please provide me with a link. Romney should turn that into an ad, immediately.

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I’ve seen it, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was right here on Hot Air.

disa on August 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I got emails from conservative friends over the last few weeks.

disa on August 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM

AZCoyote
Once SNL starts their new season, it will be R&R bashing in every skit. They are even opening the new season earlier than usual. Go figure!

“Saturday Night Live” will kick off its season slightly earlier than it usually does, opening its 38th year on NBC on Sept. 15.

The show typically kicks off a season later in September or in early October, but with NBC starting much of its schedule early — and the opportunity for election-year comedy already high — the earlier date makes sense.

Brat on August 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

byepartisan on August 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

That was nice of you. Maybe it will be available for rent before the election.

Cindy Munford on August 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM

By the way, read Trump’s Where Is the Birth Certificate? Lots of interesting stuff there, about Stanley Ann and more.

disa on August 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM

My family saw it today including our 10 and 12 year old kids who both enjoyed it. The 12 year old has been aware of current events since at least the last election. The 10 year old isn’t the type to get freaked. They both love history. We watch lots of documentaries and always have. I thought the 10 year old might get bored, but he didn’t. I recommend the movie for teens and some pre-teens, especially if you follow up the movie with good discussion.

Like most here I didn’t learn much that I didn’t already know, but I still enjoyed the way it was put together. The part about the end of Obama’s mother’s relationship with Sotero was news to me. I wish the movie would have included more about Obama’s college years and more about what is expected in the next 4 years if, God forbid, he is re-elected. There was a little of that, but with the title being “2016″ I expected more.

Having said that I think the more people who see this, the better. Especially young people. Our theater had mostly older people.

jrnlz on August 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I love how good this movie’s doing.

Jocon307 on August 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I get red faced with rage when some moron mouth-breather posits on the ‘damage’ caused by Bush.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM

..you’re probably long gone from this thread but I feel compelled to express my sympathetic agreement, Lanceman. “W” had his faults and I will be the first to admit same, but to dishonor a fundamentally good and kid man like this is repugnant.

Just to clarify lest rogerb dredges up an errant comment of mine, I would never say that we should “take out” Obama nor do I wish any literal harm to come to him. Firstly, he is the President of the United States of America and, while he may disrespect the office, I shall not. Any enmity I express towards this crapsack is directed at him personally and NOT the office.

Besides, I cannot think of anything worse that his being assassinated and becoming a martyr. I wish him a long life so — like Antonio Salieri — he can see his “legacy” tarnish and fade as he disappears in our collective rear view mirrors.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM

byepartisan on August 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

What a nice thing to do, and what a great idea if one isn’t close to a theater that is showing it!

I’m not sure, but I believe they count ticket sales, not bodies that actually show up.

kakypat on August 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM

That was nice of you. Maybe it will be available for rent before the election.

Cindy Munford on August 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM

You beat me to it! lol

I believe the DVD will be out before the election…at least, I hope so.

kakypat on August 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

THAT was an awesome, awesome picture!!!!!!!!!!

lovingmyUSA on August 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Reading a movie going site comments how 400 folks in a theatre in Tucson yesterday afternoon–at the end, silence–pause,then attendees chanting “Romney, Romney”…heh..

hillsoftx on August 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

What has Romney done to gain the zombie-like support of the people?

Other than being a slightly better alternative to Obama?

V-rod on August 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Going to drag the wife to it tomorrow. Was going to go see it tonight but alas she fell asleep. Will see if I can convince a couple of my neighbors to go with me as well.

donkichi on August 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM

John the Libertarian on August 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I saw it early this afternoon with my wife. She was reluctant because she new it would make her angry but was unaware of probably half of the details. I was aware of most. I really recommend we all go to support the film and to make the liberal media and Hollywood nervous. Apathy for this movie because you know how it ends it almost like apathy for November. We NEED a 100 million dollar gross to create some ANGST…… But that is really only 10 million viewers. AND please take someone who is not sure how they are going to vote. I saw the movie in north OKC and when the movie was over I looked around and saw a look of OMG on the faces (60% full large theater) and then applause. I agree that if we can get those who mainly receive their news from TV and not the internet to the movie theater……will be a huge PLUS. I know it will SCARE some and it should. I’m even scared what will happen when he loses and that 2 1/2 month period between the election and the inauguration.

scruplesrx on August 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM

What has Romney done to gain the zombie-like support of the people?

Other than being a slightly better alternative to Obama?

V-rod on August 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

..why bless your little heart! You try so hard — yet fail so pathetically.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

What has Romney done to gain the zombie-like support of the people?

Other than being a slightly better alternative to Obama?

V-rod on August 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Proof that a troll vacuum will only last for an hour or two.

AubieJon on August 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM

went to see the 12:30 movie yesterday(Friday) in Phoenix. Much to my surprise the movie was packed. The movie was well done and totally on point, detailing why the hussein truly hates America

Went to see another movie today and talked to the manager who told me asll the showings yestrerday were sellouts and he expected every showing over the week-end to be total sell outs as well

People are talking about the movie and why we need a change in the oval office

tuttle from tacoma on August 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM

We just got back from seeing it a few minutes ago. It’s very well done, and does a good job of connecting all those things that were considered out of bounds distractions in 2008 to his policies today.

stldave on August 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM

madmonkphotog on August 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Ads are all over the radio in Albany, ny area.

antisocial on August 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM

My husband and I saw it this afternoon, it was very good. It really didn’t cover anything I didn’t already know, but the way the facts were put together within the anti-colonial theory was very compelling.

One thing that amazes me is that both Obama and his mother seemed to worship the man who abandoned them. I always wondered why he was so enamored of his father when it was his grandparents who gave him everything. His step-father seems to have been a good man, maybe the one fact I wasn’t aware of before seeing the movie.

The theater was almost full but almost everyone was older than us (we’re 50) and there were only a couple people around our age. Maybe younger people will go to later showings.

Everyone really needs to see it, especially independents and the left who aren’t as aware of Obama’s background. My husband is going to challenge an Obama-supporting friend to see it with her friends.

Common Sense on August 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

The movie is a gem. Now I ned to find his debate with Jesse Jackson on YouTube.

Saw the film today at The Great Mall in Milpitas and left the theater directly to the new Chick-fil-A that opened on North 1st Street in San Jose. BTW, they were swamped in the drive-thru and out the door, but just 10-12 minutes to the counter.

A nice conservative two-fer in Northern California. Who would have thought?

Shaughnessy on August 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM

If it has Jug-Ears in it anywhere speaking, then no, I won’t see it.

My TV remote mute button has gotten worn lately.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I’ve tried to post a comment 3 times and ended up timing out every time because I end up doing a movie review. This is a must see, even though, it is 90 minutes of BHO in his own words, reading from his own auto-biography.

D’Souza does a good job of tying it all into a coherent package that scares the crap out of me, which is the point of the movie. Go see it, it was a fresh perspective for me and I am more ready to vote this scumbag out of office than ever.

Sweaty Deacon on August 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM

ted c on August 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM

^^^this^^^
Also that Obama isn’t just aiming at the 1% in the USA his larger goal is to do this globally. He is taking our oil production and giving it to undeveloped South America to give them leverage. He is disarming us nuclearly (not a word, I know) and encouraging Iran and N Korea to nuke up thus balancing that power, and he is empowering Islamists in N Africa, ME, Saudi to counter Europe’s power and ours. Utopian and totally unrealistic, but that’s liberalism in a nutshell.

Sweaty Deacon on August 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Just got back from a showing in Katy, TX. Decent turnout, maybe close to half the theater was full. But keep in mind this movie has already been playing in the Houston area for a month. I enjoyed it. Very well made. I already was familiar with almost everything in this movie as I’m a political junkie(why else would I frequent Hot Gas?) and have read many books on Obama that have documented what he’s done, what he believes, and where he’d take us if re-elected.

The few things off the top of my head that I recall not being aware of were Obama wanting to shrink our nuclear arsenal down to 300 warheads(what?!) and the pro-West sentiments of Lolo Soetoro and Ann Dunham’s reaction to his conversion. What D’Souza does well is explain the anti-colonial beliefs of Obama Sr., how that seems to have been passed on to his son, and how that helps to explain the actions(and inactions) of Obama since becoming President. It certainly sheds some light on the utter hypocrisy of preventing domestic offshore drilling while handing our taxpayer dollars over to countries like Brazil in order to promote drilling off their coasts.

My only real gripe with this film is that it’s too damn short and really underplays what Obama has done in the last 4 years and will do if re-elected in terms of domestic policy. The movie briefly touches on that right at that end with regard to the national debt, but there needed to be another 10-15 minutes on that. That’s where you’ll convert even the biggest Obama supporter is by showing them how his Presidency will directly impact them. As much as I hate to admit it, turmoil in the Middle East and even the potential annihilation of Israel isn’t enough to change the minds of a sizable chunk of the electorate.

Overall though it’s definitely worth checking out, and if you can, drag as many left-leaning, independent, or non-political people as you can to see this. They’re the real target audience, not us.

Doughboy on August 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Brat on August 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM

They see Romney ahead in some polls so they have their work cut out for them. They need to start early.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM

“Obama has a dream …that the sins of Colonialism be set right, and America be downsized…”

I haven’t seen this film yet, but did they point out that the US actually has never colonized anyplace?

WhatSlushfund on August 26, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Saw it this evening in a theater not 5 miles distant from a major Hollywood studio. Good film, good presentation of the D’Souza books on Obama’s influences and motives, good production (although I wish they’d re-mix the audio, voice-over levels were inconsistent and sometimes mushy), content definitely keyed to independents (and film goes out of its way to avoid “birtherism”).

What struck me was the diversity of the audience in the theater (a little over half full), from 20-somethings to people using walkers, white, black and latino. There was scattered applause and a lot of murmuring as people exited at the end. Even more striking were the dozen or so people who hung around in the lobby afterwards discussing the movie.

A “community activist” wearing an Obama tee-shirt had stood up at the end of the screening to announce that he’d be leading a “conversation” at a “higher level” right outside, and about a half dozen were gathered around him. But there were other groups scattered around the lobby speaking and listening with intensity. Couldn’t help overhearing one woman complain of how sick and tired she was logging onto her Facebook page every day to read how evil Republicans were– I gathered she was “un-friending” friends about as fast as she was making them.

The film played all over Los Angeles this weekend, including several theaters on the westside. That this movie is receiving the amount attention and generating the discussion that it has even in an area like this is itself an achievement.

de rigueur on August 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Obama’s crowd would have been twice that big…

…except he accidentally bussed them all to Oiho.

BlueCollarAstronaut on August 26, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Box office numbers for this film @ Box Office Mojo.

Some user review comments at the Yahoo! movies page for this film suggest that Yahoo! may have been blocking searches for theater showing time info, or not even listing the picture. (Read some of the comments down the page). No surprise to me based on their left-leaning news article featured on their home page.

E-R

electric-rascal on August 26, 2012 at 2:31 AM

What is the shock of right wing President Obama hating zealots going to a hack job movie on President Obama.I am only surprised more of haters aren’t going !!!

U2denver on August 26, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Here’s the link to the large version of that Ohio crowd picture to see Paul Ryan.

Makes me proud to be a Buckeye!

E-R

electric-rascal on August 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Paul Ryan Mitt Romney

(still proud of Ohio, but not my short-term memory. Sigh.)

electric-rascal on August 26, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Proof that a troll vacuum will only last for an hour or two.

AubieJon on August 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM

What the hell do you know about trolling?

I made a simple statement about people cheering for a candidate like it was a football game.

It’s not like Romney is exactly loved here.

V-rod on August 26, 2012 at 4:16 AM

Obama is certainly policing the world in an effort to aide in his effort to bankrupt us. In this light I would think most neocons would rejoice. Haven’t seen the movie and don’t wanna see it. It’ll just frustrate me further.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 26, 2012 at 4:36 AM

rogerb doesn’t have much of a sense of humor.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I save all that energy for dainsin.

rogerb on August 26, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Detective Dinesh finds clues!
You guys will believe anything.

verbaluce on August 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Nice, Somebody BUILT that movie pretty damned good……

Suck it O.

RealMc on August 26, 2012 at 7:11 AM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Amazing. Any word on the body count. In ’08 when O-BONG-a had those crowds, he was 12 points up in the polls. And we’re supposed to believe the race is dead even. Something doesn’t add up here.

Red Creek on August 26, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Detective Dinesh finds clues!

verbaluce on August 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Though I find name-calling juvenile, I appreciate that I’ve struck a chord.

verbaluce on June 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

rogerb on August 26, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Saw it this afternoon. I can see something new.

I am still aggravated about Barry bamstahhhhh!!! YOU DA MAN BAMMY BABYYY!!!!!!!!! LOVE YA BARRY OL BUDDY OL PALLLLL!! YAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Go see it on 6 Nov.

H. Penpacker on August 10:

cableguy615 on August 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM

byepartisan on August 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Good idea! Not near me either (so I read the book), but I’m going to follow your lead and buy a ticket anyway.

petefrt on August 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Barack’s “redistribution” of wealth has little to do with poor Americans — they are part of the colonial power structure, too, in his mind, and far too “well off.” He wants to redistribute ALL American resources, including those for the poor, to the Third World.

Absolutely. This the one thing I have always known. The so called poor in America who are buying into taking from the rich in America will themselves have all they have taken from them. The poor in America are rich compared to the poor in the rest of the world. And Obama said himself early on in his Presidency, he considers himself a “citizen of the world.” So when he talks about spreading the wealth, he means taking from ALL Americans and giving it to the rest of the world.
Obama wants to see us all in tin huts sorting though trash heaps looking for our food.

Here’s the other thing. I think what we know is very little compared to what he has actually been doing. He’s already exposed secrets. Remember when he spoke publicly about the number of warheads the UK has? So if he can openly reveal things like that.. what must he be sharing in private when the opportunity arises?
He has zero loyalty to this nation. When he loses this election, one wonders what he might do with the information he has on America.

JellyToast on August 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I wish the movie would have included … more about what is expected in the next 4 years if, God forbid, he is re-elected.

jrnlz on August 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Then you’ll probably be interested in Stanley Kurtz’s new book, Spreading the Wealth: How Obama is Robbing the Suburbs to Pay for the Cities:

Drawing on previously overlooked sources, Kurtz cuts through that smoke screen to reveal what’s really going on. Radicals from outside the administration—including key Obama allies from his early community organizing days—have been quietly influ­encing policy, in areas ranging from edu­cation to stimulus spending. Their goal: to increase the influence of America’s cities over their suburban neighbors so that even­tually suburban independence will vanish.

In the eyes of Obama’s former mentors—fol­lowers of leftist radical Saul Alinsky—suburbs are breeding grounds for bigotry and greed. The classic American dream of a suburban house and high quality, locally controlled schools strikes them as selfishness, a waste of resources that should be redirected to the urban poor.

The regulatory groundwork laid so far is just a prelude to what’s to come: substantial redistribution of tax dollars. Over time, cities would effectively swallow up their surround­ing municipalities, with merged school dis­tricts and forced redistribution of public spending killing the appeal of the suburbs. The result would be a profound transforma­tion of American society.

Kurtz shows the unbroken line of continuity from Obama’s community organizing roots to his presidency. And he reveals why his plan to undermine the suburbs means so much to him personally.

petefrt on August 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I received a free copy of the DVD ‘Dreams from my Real Father’ in the mail last week, watched it, and was blown away. I’ve not seen 2016 yet but has anyone watched both and if so how do they compare?

Firmworm on August 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM

petefrt on August 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM

And also Aaron Klein’s Fool Me Twice: Obama’s Shocking Plans for the Next Four Years Exposed

petefrt on August 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Saw this yesterday at Dallas NorthPark…theater was full, in fact I saw the Bourne movie there a week ago and more people were actually at the Obama movie than Bourne. Excellent work, and it really explains and researches the reasons why he is attempting to bring us back to european levels. It only scratched the surface, probably enough info out there to make it a 4 hour movie.

bhawknine on August 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM

U2denver on August 26, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Detective Dinesh finds clues!
You guys will believe anything.

verbaluce on August 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Low-information trolls. Pardon the redundancy. Trolls wouldn’t care to note that much of the information in this “hack job” is audio of Obama reading his own words from his own book(s). There is no need to conjure up information against him when he has provided it all himself.

Freelancer on August 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM

TXUS on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Isn’t it interesting that most of the factual basis for this movie is known to folks like us who have been paying attention. Most of the facts were known before the election in 2008.

The facts just weren’t widely known, because the MSM was too busy singing Obama’s praises, parroting Axelrod’s campaign talking points, and rooting through Sarah Palin’s garbage to report the actual facts.

In the four years since, the MSM continued to ignore the truth about Obama’s past. After four years of words that didn’t match deeds, and some acts that just don’t seem to reflect the widely shared patriotism and values of most Americans, people are finally curious about what is going on.

But they have to go to a movie theater to find out, because the MSM is still trying to conceal the real Obama and his real agenda from the very people it is their duty to inform.

The experiment with the naive and the uninformed is telling. What chance would the stealth socialist have had in 2008 if the voters had been dutifully informed of the truth?

novaculus on August 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Wish I could see it today but have too many family obligations. My husband and I can’t wait to see it next weekend. Also, I can’t wait to see how the media reports the success of the movie.

Nikkia2112 on August 26, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Saw it this afternoon. I can see something new.

Go see it on 6 Nov.

H. Penpacker on August 10:

cableguy615 on August 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Dude, don’t know if your incoherent ramblings are directed at me or not, but my suggestion is that you get back on your meds, stat.

H.E. Pennypacker on August 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM

chasdal on August 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Think “Cask of Amontillado”. Each brick is, in itself, unimportant. It is the effect of all of the bricks that doom Obama to a single term. Now I don’t know to what degree I subscribe to the Obama Manchurian candidate theory. I think that Narcissists use causes rather than causes using them, but I agree that, to the extent that Obama has personalized the offense of western civilization against his imaginary ancestors, a bit of pay-back would be in order.

The sobering thought for me is this: if Obama were a genuine subversive, attempting to destroy the United States while appearing to try to help it, how would his behavior be functionally different than it’s been? But the answer that come back after some thought is that a true self-styled, third-world champion would not be sniping the crap out of every primary, secondary and tertiary terrorist target in Pokeystan and Western Africa. That is the act of a Narcissist, not a subversive.

So in the end I judge that, yes, Obama really is just that bad at it. Are his political instincts fundamentally wrong and wrong-headed? Yes, just like every other confirmed leftist. I didn’t say he was apolitical. It’s just that his political instincts are a secondary influence to the sacrament of self that informs his actions.

Immolate on August 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM

,Saw it yesterday afternoon.

The info about his mother and Lolo Soetoro I found interesting, the whole Indonesia part of Obama’s life has thrown me for a loop but D’Souza did a great job connecting the dots and filling in a few gaps.

Obama’s mother was your typical white American apologist before it became fashionable. It’s obvious she was ashamed of this country, to the point where she admired and even emulated third world peoples who were, at the time and some continue to be, primitive by any standard. D’Souza brought it home for me, why would this woman want to live in Indonesia at that time? Why on Earth would she bring her kid along with her?

No spoiler alerts, if people are interested they should go see it. Obama’s goal is to knock America down a few pegs, and everything he’s done in the last 3.5 years bears this out.

franciscodanconia on August 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Most of the facts were known before the election in 2008.

novaculus on August 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Also, Obots succeeded in intimidating us into shutting down all discussion mention of these facts. Bringing them up was taboo. Bring them up and you were a racist.

petefrt on August 26, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Immolate on August 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Good point you make about narcissism and the drones. I’m gonna have to give that some thought.

I’m thinking that in a second term, Øbama would leave Iran virtually free to nuke it up.

petefrt on August 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I saw “Obama’s America” and loved it. The narrative voice is “personal,” from D’Souza’s point of view and containing autobiographical info from his perspective as someone who, originally from India, dislikes colonialism himself–and that makes it feel less pushy and partisan than otherwise. The music and production values in general are all perfect: not too heavy-handed and manipulative, but very good in setting the tone and mood. D’souza goes out of his way not to overreach, and this is how the film differs from the docs of Michael Moore and Guggenheim (“Inconvenient Truth”) which are full of factual errors, straw men arguments and emotional hype. Honestly, I don’t think conservatives will buy into emotional hype and logical fallacies as much as would liberals, so this was a smart move on D’souza’s part.

The critics managed to diminish the importance of “The Undefeated” and “Atlas Shrugged” by savagely panning both films, and they must be shocked that they haven’t been able to damage this film in the same way. But the movie is good and interesting on its merits, and, like “The Passion” which also shocked critics by its popularity despite the critical pounding it took, the people are hearing good word of mouth and responding by buying tickets.

For every conservative documentary, there are at least a dozen liberal ones made about everything from dolphins, to fracking, to Wall Street, to “stupid religion”–all full of lies, bias, fallacies and omissions. Right now the popular Will Farrell film “The Campaign is little more than a thinly disguised hit job on supposedly redneck N. Carolina Republicans along with the Koch Brothers and evil outsourcing. I’ve had more than my fill and am happy with this slight bit of push back.

Burke on August 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I learned everything I needed to know about Barry when he gave Hillary the bird. Then just in case there were any doubts he gave it to McCain.

filetandrelease on August 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Both times when they were defeated.

filetandrelease on August 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM