Box office shocker. 2016 Obama’s America at #3?

posted at 8:31 pm on August 25, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

We all know the rules when it comes to political films, right? They’re just not worth sinking your money into them because people don’t watch. With the sole exception of one “documentary” by Michael Moore, they don’t cover their own costs and people don’t turn out to the theater for them. This is particularly true if you try to produce one from a conservative point of view in the liberal lock-down atmosphere of Hollywood. Well, hold on to your hats. It looks like the the very unflattering critique of the current administration, 2016 Obama’s America, is set to come in at number three this weekend and turn a profit in the first 24 hours since its wide release. (It actually premiered six weeks ago and was previously in limited release.)

As predicted Millenium/Lionsgate’s The Expendables 2 will finish in first place Friday and this weekend. It’s followed by Universal’s The Bourne Legacy in second place and the Rocky Mountain Pictures’ documentary 2016 Obama’s America in third place after starting out Friday #1. That’s stunning because it’s playing in a 1/3 less theaters across North American than the other wide release actioners. (See below for more details). However, its hot pre-sales have made the pic frontloaded, and its ranking will fall steeply by end of Sunday. But its new cume after this weekend could make it the #1 conservative documentary (ahead of Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed’s $7.7M). The success of the anti-Obama pic comes on the eve of the Republican National Convention August 27-30.

In case you missed it, here’s the trailer.

Entertainment Weekly explains why the math involved in this film’s rising status is so puzzling to industry insiders, and not just because of the content.

You see, normally, when a film’s theater count increases, the amount of money it’s earning in each theater decreases. This is the standard performance pattern for a limited release and follows common supply/demand logic.

Here’s how things have gone for 2016: Obama’s America, though: Three weekends ago, 2016 earned $34,133 out of 10 theaters, which gave it a per theater average of $3,413 — not all that remarkable for a limited release. When it expanded into 61 theaters the next weekend, its per theater average did a funny thing: it jumped up to $5,202. Last weekend, the film experienced an even bigger expansion, into 169 theaters, and again, its per theater average substantially leapt up to $7,365.

Let’s be clear: this almost never happens.

Let’s be clear about something else that “almost never happens.” It’s a movie which is critical of Democrats ever seeing the light of day outside the production studio. This film only cost $2.5M to make and it looks like it’s going to have taken in nearly four times that amount by the time the convention kicks off. It’s a fairly remarkable story.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Has anyone here watched it?

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

With the sole exception of one “documentary” by Michael Moore

Moore-on doesn’t make Documentaries, he makes CROCKumentaries.

Benedict Nelson on August 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

If I have time, I’m hoping to catch it tonight.

Doughboy on August 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM

And that’s with one-third of the screens of #1 & #2…

CPT. Charles on August 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Moore-on doesn’t make Documentaries, he makes CROCKumentaries.

Benedict Nelson on August 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

The slob makes propaganda.

msupertas on August 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM

ninjapirate, I watched it today. Just grab a friend or friends, loved ones and anyone else you can think of. It got lots of applause when it was over at the theater in King of Prussia Pa.

canesfan on August 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM

…I’m loving it!…my bride asked me to go see it…

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Dare I wish that this portends an election box shocker in November?

Rod on August 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I blame Obama.

rob verdi on August 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM

This hasn’t been on my radar until just this past week. Yet it’s raking in money. Who here has seen it already?

ZachV on August 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Have not seen it yet but I have received emails from friends urging me to do so. The report was that complete silence followed the ending of the movie in the theatre…and then clapping; in Minnesota!

I have chatted with Dinesh and found him to be a very down to earth, straight forward guy. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

2L8 on August 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Going to see the movie tomorrow at 1:00. Can’t wait to finally see a conservative movie. Hope all the lamestream media eat some crow, over this, selling so well. Romney/Ryan for president Booyah!

WV. Paul on August 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

75-100 people at 425 showing at Warrington PA. Applause at the end. Well done must see.

tort_feasor on August 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

o/t

Wombs With A View: One Wonders What Animal Rights Activists Would Say About Aborting Them…

M2RB: 10,000 Maniacs

Resist We Much on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

We went today – it is excellent. Of course, we all know all the information, but it is a great presentation, with a mild mannered, intelligent narrator. It is well done. The theatre I went to was 3/4 full (it was one of the big ones) and the line waiting to get in after we got out was out the door. GO SEE IT>

djl130 on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Okay, I just posted this in the other thread, but its more appropriate here:

So, I saw “2016″ today, here are a few thoughts:

1.) If you’ve been paying attention there isn’t much new here. I took a family member who doesn’t pay close attention to politics but leans Dem, and afterwards she said she would either vote for the Republican or probably not vote at all. There wasn’t any new information (new to anyone here anyway), its just the media did such a poor job of covering Obama in 2008, that she had no idea about the basic story of Obama’s childhood (going to Indonesia for years, then Hawaii, etc.). She was truly shocked by all this stuff, and thought he was something of a phony after seeing the movie.

2.) Too much focus on Obama’s father. Yeah, yeah, I know, he did write a book about his father. But I’ve read the book, and I think it was less a revealing insight into Obama’s mindset, and read more like a Liz “Sh*tting Bull” Warren-esque re-telling/fictionalization of his life– kind of like liberal fan fiction. I wish D’Nesh D’Souza had been able to get more people talking about Obama or the people in his life, rather than about the absent biological father who admittedly only met him one time.

There is some good stuff about his mother’s radical history though, which I found far more damning than anything about Barack Sr.

3.) Lots of leading questions in interviews, without revealing much.

So yeah, its not a conservative Farenheit 9/11, but I wouldn’t say its a really good movie either. Frankly, if you already have an opinion on Obama and you already know about his background, I think you’ll spend most of the movie waiting for D’Nesh to get to the juicy stuff, but its just not there. Its more like a scatter plot of Obama’s family history, and the trend lines are clear, but there isn’t anything that will really just floor you. I think its definitely something that should be seen by low-information voters, but I wonder how much of the audience hadn’t already formed their opinion about O.

So yeah, I’d recommend seeing it, but I wouldn’t recommend paying $12 to see it. Unless you want to take an undecided friend who lives in a swing state or something.

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Saw it last night- theater was 90% full. It is very good but HotAir readers will not learn anything new. I wore my Worcester County (MD) TEA Party Shirt and left the theater more fired up than ever.

Turn MD Red on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Athens, Tx theater, 70 people on a Friday afternoon. People applauded at the end. Facts we know but the film puts it together…Obama is not incompetent he is living his dream to destroy our nation. Go see it.

momoftxmomof3 on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Oh – same response. Silence and then applause.

djl130 on August 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Has anyone here watched it?

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Rainy all morning here, so dh and I caught a matinee. Surprising number of people in the theater for the subject and time (noon). Mostly older folks, but then, it’s not something you’d take the kids to. (Our oldest would have enjoyed it, but we left him home to babysit his younger brother who would have been bored to tears.)

I’d read the book, so no surprises for me. My husband and a friend of his (who we happened to run into there) hadn’t read the book, so they found it fascinating.

I don’t always agree with D’Souza, but he seems to be onto something here.

CJ on August 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I’m going tomorrow afternoon.

Oh – same response. Silence and then applause.

djl130 on August 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Appropriate for informed teenagers?

conservative pilgrim on August 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Has anyone here watched it?

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

VorDaj on August 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

There won’t be ONE, NOT ONE nomination for an Oscar or a Golden Globe for this flick. The Academy and the Hollywood Press Association won’t allow it.

Just by viewing the trailer, I can tell that it is demonstrably superior to Farenheit 9/11, simply because of its calm demeanor.

Hollywood cannot tolerate that.

victor82 on August 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

..take this (and the proceedsfrom the movie) to the bank: This is another Chick-Fil-A moment. Obama will be pulverized in November and the MSM press will be blinking their eyes asking if anyone got the license of that beer truck.

“still remains close” my ass.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I saw it last Friday afternoon at 2:00PM at a theater in Union Square NYC (a liberal bastion within a liberal bastion). Probably close to 50 people, mostly white and no younger than 50, although several blacks were there and they were a lot younger than that. Very polite applause at the end.

Anecdotal, for what it’s worth, but considering the venue, time and place, I think it says a lot.

Oh yeah, the movie was excellent, and very unsettling.

Rixon on August 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

OT
NYT points out Harry Reid is a liar

Mr. Romney paid income tax to foreign countries, and as result claimed in 2010 a $129,697 foreign tax credit, which he used to offset taxes he owed in the United States. American taxpayers who claim the foreign tax credit are required to report their total foreign taxes paid and tax credits used for the previous 10 years. So that return contains foreign tax data going back to 2000. The good news for Mr. Romney is the forms suggest that he paid at least some federal income tax every year, as he has said he did.

bayview on August 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Cumulative take is now $8.7M.

pat on August 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

watched it last night…the room was 90% packed…people clapped at the end of it…

cmsinaz on August 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been hesitant to go because I know all the info and figured I’d be bored silly, BUT I want to support a Conservative movie. I asked above, but would it be appropriate for informed teenagers?

conservative pilgrim on August 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Something else interesting. It’s in far fewer theaters than the other top 10 movies.

WannabeAnglican on August 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I’m sure all our fine film awards organizations can’t wait to recognize this independent documentary’s stunning success with “Best Picture” awards, ummmmm, right?

Dollayo on August 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I saw this movie this afternoon. Theater was a little less than half full.
Absolutely awesome movie. I didn’t think I would learn that much but I learned a lot.
I have a much better understanding of Obama now. The man is true evil. If he gets a second term, it’s over.

JellyToast on August 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

WannabeAnglican on August 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

!

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I actually disagree. The focus on the father was deliberate and Dinesh made his point that the way Obama deals with the imaginary father he conceived and the real father who was a cruel, wife beating drunk, is to adopt his father’s high minded communist ideals … and turn back the effects of colonialism. I do think it was necessary to use the fulcrum of his father to get to the climax of pulling it all together with what Obama has done to this country and is going to do. It is an intelligent movie.

djl130 on August 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM

So will Pat O’Brian be interviewing Cameron Diaz and Keanu Reeves at the Hollywood premiere, like he did with Fahrenheit 9/11? Will Mary Hart be telling us that “agree or disagree, everyone should go see this important and controversial film, and judge for yourselves”?

You can bet if this movie really takes off, Liberals will threaten to start burning down the racist theaters that dare to show it, and Chuck Schumer will threaten to tell the major stockholders of the theater chains that are showing it that their stocks will plummet as a result of irresponsibly stoking the flames racial discord.

ardenenoch on August 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I asked above, but would it be appropriate for informed teenagers?

conservative pilgrim on August 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Mine (17 and volunteering for the campaign) would love it. Dh may take him another time since our younger son would be bored silly.

CJ on August 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM

“still remains close” my ass.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Agreed, There’s a tidal wave sweeping across this land. To hit on Nov. 6, not Nov. 2, Like Moochele O. believes. A 40 state drubbing like Carter endured in 1980. The hurricane hitting the Florida GOP convention is coming from thr strong winds a blowing across these lands, a landslide is immenent!

WV. Paul on August 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yes, take teens.

djl130 on August 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Reading a movie going site comments how 400 folks in a theatre in Tucson yesterday afternoon–at the end, silence–pause,then attendees chanting “Romney, Romney”…heh..

hillsoftx on August 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I saw this film this evening! Oh…it was depressing. It is a subtle film in that it simply lays out barack’s entirely foreign upbringing, influential mentors, and general beliefs, and then points to those as the reason why his governance is so…un-American. There really is no other word for it, though the film doesn’t use that phrasing. He is on a mission to weaken the nation considerably as payback for what he has been taught from birth are its crimes against the Third World. Some moments that struck me:

– Shelby Steele saying that “every single vote” barack got in 2008 was because of race. Every single one. He was offering white Americans steeped in white guilt a way out, a way to tell themselves forever and ever that they aren’t racists. What isn’t clear, though, is if those white Americans will still have the psychological need to do that again in 2012.

– Barack’s stepfather, Lolo Soetoro, had an awakening to the merits of capitalism and the free market, which essentially caused his divorce from barack’s mother. She ONLY wanted to be married to a Third World anti-colonialist marxist. It was her romantic dream. When he became a capitalist, she became enraged and they divorced.

– Barack’s “redistribution” of wealth has little to do with poor Americans — they are part of the colonial power structure, too, in his mind, and far too “well off.” He wants to redistribute ALL American resources, including those for the poor, to the Third World.

– Barack had a couple of college professor mentors in college and law school who were marxists in the extreme, and were totally buried by the press in ’08 (and, near as I can tell, in 2012, too).

–Barack’s goal for a second term — and its important to note that this was presented entirely without hyperbole, but rather by looking at what he’s done so far and what his goals are — will be to collapse the American economy through massive federal bankruptcy, demolish the nation’s nuclear arsenal so we cannot protect ourselves when a new superpower emerges, and hasten the total destruction of Israel.

He thinks we’ve got that coming. He always has.

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

CJ on August 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yes, take teens.

djl130 on August 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thanks!

conservative pilgrim on August 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Spot-on breakdown.

It’s good that this movie is making headlines, because it’s going to hit DVD very quickly and that’s where it will really find its unaware audience.

Otherwise, let’s not pretend that Tea Party orgs are not planning mass outings, because they are. Nothing wrong with that, but we need to be honest.

budfox on August 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM

My husband and I went to see it last night. Our theater in Fort Worth, Texas was completely full. I think it would be a great movie to take informed teenagers to see. My husband was not excited about seeing this movie at all. Afterwards, he came out saying that it was great and that he had several “A-HA” moments during the film. He also said it scared him to death. He is what I would call politically apathetic, for the most part. So his perspective was very interesting to me. I have been promoting it on Facebook and telling all my friends to go and see it. It is an outstanding tool for us as we head into election season.

annetteharrell on August 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM

conservative pilgrim on August 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Yes,to your question about an informed teenager.

momoftxmomof3 on August 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM

When Fahrenheit 9/11 came out a gay friend and some of his liberal buddies invited me to go see it. I politely declined and said I wasn’t interested in getting Michael Moore’s view on what happened. My friend said he didn’t agree with Michael Moore either, but he had an “open mind” and thought it was important to see a different viewpoint. I still refused. That “friend” never spoke to me again. A couple of years later, I ran into one of the guys who went to the movie that night, one of the first things he said was “we’ve missed seeing you, even if you are a Republican.” I should call him up to see if he would like to go with me to see this one since he has such and open mind.

behiker on August 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Excellent summarization! I was also fascinated by the fact that his step father was a budding capitalist and the fact that she extolled the virtues of Barack Sr. instead of the guy who was trying to provide for her just made me sick.

djl130 on August 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Didn’t that fat pig Moore have a movie called rogerb and Me?

:D

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Didn’t that fat pig Moore have a movie called rogerb and Me?

:D

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM

..I sense someone has been dipping into the cooking sherry again — getting a run-up on QOTD are we?

:-D

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM

conservative pilgrim on August 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I’d say if they are informed, and they are teenagers, its fine.

One family next to me in theater had brought their kids who looked to be around 10-years-old and I thought that was wildly inappropriate. This film requires a decent understanding of history and America’s role in the world; taking a kid that young to see a movie like this was like brainwashing in my opinion. Here’s a good rule of thumb, if your kids understand the meaning of the word “colonialism”, its okay for them to see the movie. Otherwise, they will be needlessly frightened of the President and the rest of the world without really understanding why they should be frightened.

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

djl130 on August 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Yes. His mother was a real nasty piece of work. I was stunned by that. And also that the grandfather — her father — was a hardcore lefty who “spent hours and hours” with Frank Marshall Davis — and with Davis and young barack. Knowing that Davis was a pedophile, and that barack’s mother, and then barack, were/are such absolute messes, I suspect there is a lot more family dysfunction there than anyone knows about.

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I thought that was quite funny.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Turn MD Red on August 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Well if it gets us know-it-alls fired up then it’s worth the price of admission. Plan to see it this week.

stukinIL4now on August 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

behiker on August 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM

..too bad you did not accept.
I know it would have been agony and probably cause for bad dreams for years to come AND I just know that they would have been hectoring you immediately afterward about what an evil butt-wipe “W” was.

But the payback would have been exquisitely delicious! You would have asked and they would have refused and you would have politely reminded them of your assenting to go to the 9/11 crapfest and enduring their brickbats, etc.

The silence on the other end of the line would have been deafening as they turned over in their pathetic minds their true, unassailable hypocrisy.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM

behiker on August 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM

…are you off the phone yet?
I’d like to take the trolls with me…we could probably fill up a theatre with just the new trolls showing up here ever day.

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I thought that was quite funny.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

..believe me, it was 100% projection on my part!

:-D :-D

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

ever day.

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM

ever=every

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Did the film actually mention Israel and Obama’s antipathy to it?

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Completely agree.

rrpjr on August 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

rogerb doesn’t have much of a sense of humor.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Yeap. I’ve always wondered about his grandad. Not so much a pedo thing, but how we’re always sold on him being this “guy from Kansas who fought in WW2″, as if he’s Jimmy Stewart. But when you get some facts on him, none of it adds up to the image originally sold. When you see his grandparents as old-school 1950′s commies, then it all fits. Otherwise, it seems like two different people.

budfox on August 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

:-D

..somewhere in a reclusive Maryland hideaway, there is a pathetic little man, nervously fidgeting, and going though a pack of KOOLs an hour just because there are images like this flashing on his TV screen.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Two family members saw it Friday in Delaware. They said people left the theater as if leaving a funeral. His word … “sobering”.

crosspatch on August 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Really, really want to see this movie

sadsushi on August 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I watched it this afternoon. I drove about an hour and a half to Asheville NC. Asheville NC is one town that Obama campaigned in twice and has visited as president; not a conservative town by any means. The theater was three quarters full… I came out of the theater scared! For a man who like Dinesh D’Souza migrated to this county to enjoy the freedom and opportunity, I came out thinking what as an individual I ought to do to ensure that Obama does not win re-election this November – and I will do whatever I can!

karu_servative on August 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You didn’t make that movie.

Bouncing Beatnik on August 25, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Best film for DOCUMENTARY!The Oscar goes to…. 2016 Obama’s America NOT! Oh how “RACIST” , Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Afilm was Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS)MPAS)said. We could not even fathom the idea this could get an Osacr.

USMCDevilDog on August 25, 2012 at 9:18 PM

rogerb doesn’t have much of a sense of humor.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

..when you can dredge up the most damning comment made on every single HG commenter ever at precisely THE most critical second, one does not need a sense of humor.

He is a National Treasure.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Good movie. As others have said, little or nothing new for us, although we did hear shocked murmurs at points from fellow senior citizens who made up the bulk of the audience, and polite applause at the end. A pretty good turnout on a sunny red Washington State Saturday afternoon for a matinee showing of a documentary.

Drained Brain on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

not for nothing but this hasn’t exactly been pushed by the conservative media either. I’m a total Hotair and Ace of Spades junkie but this wasn’t even on my radar until I heard it was doing so good.

If it’s doing this well with such a seemingly small media push then it really is something amazing.

Faith in humanity slightly restored…

Ampersand on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I saw it at a 9:15pm showing last night in the capital city of a VERY liberal state (there’s no chance of Obama claiming this state in November). The theater was 3/4 full, which shocked me, because I haven’t seen that many people at a movie in a long time.

During the film there were audible reactions of surprise at certain info dumps and there was sustained applause at the end.

And then, as people exited the theater, many MANY people stopped and started discussing what they had just seen. I’ve never seen a spontaneous town hall happen before, but that’s what it was.

I thought the film was very good, but if you’re a regular Hot Air reader and have kept yourself informed over the years none of the info will be new to you. But it was well put together and I think that it will be revelatory to a LOT of people on the other side or those who are simply not tuned in to politics. I suspect that some people who don’t follow politics at all and voted for Obama in ’08 for “hope and change” are going to come away from this film with a sense of shame and will be inspired to look further into what was discussed in the film.

The most interesting part of the film for me was the segment that focused on George Obama. He was not what I expected at all. Overall, I thought the film could have been 20-30 minutes longer. I was surprised when the end came because it didn’t feel like an hour and a half had gone by. The film really just scratched the surface enough to make people want to learn more.

I’m glad I saw it and I hope that it comes out on home video in time to have more of an impact before the election.

otisframpton on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

WOW!

VegasRick on August 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I think I’ll take my oldest. She understands “colonialism” and is more interested in politics and the political process anyway. My husband will wait to watch it on DVD. :)

conservative pilgrim on August 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Rotten Tomatoes shows it as 4 tomatoes and 3 rotten tomatoes – but still shows it as 57% rotten – it should be 57% positive – so they messed with the reviews rating system just for this film – also it doesn’t even show it as the top ten – why does that not surprise me – also 81% audience approval rating.

ArthurMachado on August 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM

“You didn’t make that movie.”

Bouncing Beatnik on August 25, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Just as Boss Emeritus didn’t make this comments section, Yeh?

WV. Paul on August 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I saw it yesterday…it didn’t tell me too much that I didn’t already know, but it was VERY well-done…when the topic of Obama’s mentors came up, it really made me angry…these associates should have SUNK him, and without a compliant media carrying his water, he never would have won. The part with his brother was very interesting, too…his brother would be a better president than Obama, IMHO.

ellifint on August 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Everyone should see this movie.

lea on August 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Some British friends here in Auburn saw it yesterday. The wife said that, during the last 15 minutes at the point where everything suddenly ties together, the audience gasped when it all became clear and obvious.

AubieJon on August 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Is it showing in any theaters in Chicago? Most likely not!

USMCDevilDog on August 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM

‘With the sole exception of one “documentary” by Michael Moore’

btw, Moore’s film releases have been carefully contrived to project the impression of popularity and sustained box office. If you look at their box office history it’s plainly evident that an increasing number of theatres were engaged even while per screening tallies were plummeting, in order to artificially inflate the week to week tally and give the film the appearance of longevity, long after most of the audience had quit.

rayra on August 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM

otisframpton on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Can you give us hint which very liberal state will go red in November?

esr1951 on August 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Two more thoughts on the movie:

1. I thought the biggest disappointment was how D’Nesh fails to link his profile of Obama to Obama’s economic policies in his first term. It highlights Obama’s radical left-wing connections (Frank Marshall Davis, etc.), but when it comes to talking about how all of this informs his present day policies, it mainly focuses on his foreign policy / national security decisions.

2. That clip of Obama talking about the cost of Obamacare during the townhall meeting, failing, and then pretending like the audience was being to raucous for him to get his answer out. Good Lord, how have I never seen that before? I asked a few of my conservative friends, and they had never seen it either. Has anyone here ever seen that footage before? And if so, please provide me with a link. Romney should turn that into an ad, immediately.

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I went and saw it last weekend by myself while my husband was fly fishing. Please go see it. The theater was packed and everyone applauded at the end. Then someone yelled out, “VOTE HIM OUT!!!!! Good times indeed! BTW….I live in Sacramento, CA. The liberal sewage that it is. God help us here. We have freakin’ Jerry Brown as governor and he is trying to give illegals drivers licenses before Nov.

Winebabe on August 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Did the film actually mention Israel and Obama’s antipathy to it?

rrpjr on August 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Oh, absolutely. It very specifically said that barack sees Islamofascists as “anti-colonial freedom fighters” like he imagines (incorrectly, as it turns out) his father was, and that Israel is part of the Western imperial force that must be destroyed as payback for historical grievances — which is why he is doing nothing about Iran getting nuclear weapons. He needs Iran to get them, so Iran can wipe Israel off the map. He envisions a “United States of the Arab World” rising up en masse as a super power and destroying the United States and other Western nations. Because we deserve it.

You know, upon reflection, I think the most depressing part of seeing this film for me was realizing that virtually every liberal I know feels the exact kind of hatred and antipathy for this nation and the concept of American exceptionalism that barack does. D’Souza traces barack’s hatred for the nation to his foreign upbringing and radical marxist mother, but I’d be more likely to trace it to what he learned in the classrooms of American educational institutions. It is the history virtually ALL American students are learning, and has been for a long, long time. Go ahead and take a liberal friend to see this film, but you’ll be quite disheartened when their response afterwards is “So?”

Rational Thought on August 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM

otisframpton on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Can you give us hint which very liberal state will go red in November?

esr1951 on August 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM

..I was praying he was commenting from Sacramento, California.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Winebabe on August 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

..please, please, PLEASE tell us you are married to otisframpton.

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:27 PM

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM

If California goes red, then the electoral map will turn red in a flood of biblical proportions.

esr1951 on August 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Two more thoughts on the movie:

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

~~~~~~~

I had never seen it, either (heh), but Hannity has played the audio on his radio show…I was never sure if it was edited, but WATCHING it, it’s clear that is is indeed real-time…just cringeworthy…

ellifint on August 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

If it has Jug-Ears in it anywhere speaking, then no, I won’t see it.

My TV remote mute button has gotten worn lately.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Here’s the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBX8sz3tO8

There was laughter and a few gasps when this was shown in the film. I suspect many people in the theater had never seen this before.

otisframpton on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Me too, I just hear about this on drudge… and that’s when it had already been doing well…

How exactly is this movie doing so well already… I read all the big conservative outlets and had never heard of it.

ninjapirate on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Drained Brain on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I meant of course BLUE Washington State. I’ve just never accepted the idea of pink leftists appropriating the color blue rather than embracing red. It doesn’t make historical sense.

Drained Brain on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

This is completely O/T, but you’ve got to check out this picture.

Flora Duh on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I saw it on Mitt’s fb page today, but I didn’t realize it was from OHIO, or YMCA if you’re Biden.

txhsmom on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

It’s why he won’t enforce our immigration laws, and why he’s spending our money on programs to sign up more illegal aliens for food stamps and other taxpayer-funded welfare benefits. And so many U.S. citizen liberals are completely oblivious. K. Powers had an article just the other day insisting that it’s a “myth” that illegal aliens are receiving welfare! It’s astonishing how wilfully blind so many people are to what is going on right in front of their faces.

AZCoyote on August 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM

“…I just know that they would have been hectoring you immediately afterward about what an evil butt-wipe “W” was…”

The War Planner on August 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Actually, the hectoring had been going on prior to this episode. I had joined this group of guys for dinner a few evenings earlier. One of the topics of conversation was how one of the guys said he would try to kill George W. Bush if he knew he only had a day left to live. In his mind, he thought he would be a hero to the world if he was successful. I almost got up and left, but they would have loved that.

behiker on August 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Here’s the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBX8sz3tO8

otisframpton on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Thanks otis!

Yeah, I followed the Obamacare debate closely, and I really do not remember this one ever making the rounds in the conservative media. As someone said earlier, it is absolutely cringe-worthy.

Lawdawg86 on August 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM

behiker on August 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Nothing sets me off more than someone bad-mouthing W.

I get red faced with rage when some moron mouth-breather posits on the ‘damage’ caused by Bush.

Lanceman on August 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM

otisframpton on August 25, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Thanks! Obama has not a clue what he is trying to say,

esr1951 on August 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM