Todd Akin: I’m staying in because we’ve paid too much attention to politics and not enough to principle

posted at 6:57 pm on August 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, the money line comes at 3:55. I’m not sure which principle he means. Presumably he’s referring to respecting the will of primary voters, but in this case those voters went to the polls without knowing yet that he’d quickly become unelectably toxic. Maybe he means the principle of putting your own electoral ambitions above the conservative movement’s desperate, years-long drive to roll back ObamaCare? Or is it the principle of being able to say anything, no matter how hugely damaging it is to your own candidacy and potentially even the GOP ticket, and have your ideological allies circle the wagons on your behalf? If you can figure out the principle at stake, apart from ensuring the viability of left-wing health-care “reforms” for years to come, let me know.

One thing I’ll say for Akin: His decision here is entirely rational in the truest sense of that word. He’s acting logically according to his own self-interest. If he wins, he’s the comeback kid and a U.S. Senator. If he loses, he’s a martyr to social conservative leaders like Huckabee who are now backing him and who seem convinced that the truly troubling element in all this is that the GOP “establishment” (which in this case includes most of the grassroots, including the Tea Party Express) would abandon a guy who’s about to fumble away an easily winnable seat. Here’s a safe bet: If, as expected, Akin ends up losing badly to McCaskill, not one of his current allies will offer a “gee, I guess that rape comment hurt him more than we thought” mea culpa. Instead his loss will be blamed on the RINOs who snatched defeat from the jaws of glorious victory by moving to politically quarantine this guy before he could drag Romney and Ryan down with him. Ace is already hearing from this crowd, in fact, enough so that he’s gone ahead and posted a public apology for sinking poor Todd Akin’s chances by professing public skepticism about him. At least one person’s willing to acknowledge his mistakes.

Speaking of which, Nate Silver notes that the two splashy polls of Missouri taken this week had very different results but one important thing in common: The number of Republicans who intend to vote for Akin right now is dramatically lower than the number of Democrats who intend to vote for McCaskill. Some of that is surely a byproduct of hard feelings among Brunner and Steelman supporters after a tough three-way primary, but no one knows how much. If there’s some chunk of Republicans in Missouri who plan on sitting this race out in disgust, then it’s not just Akin who’s in trouble there. Potentially, it’s Romney too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yeps. Very safe. It’s already happening here.

joana on August 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM

He’s on a mission from Gatt.

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I say we use the principle of natural selection and remove Akin from the GOP. He’s not fit to be a Senator.

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Moron’s news conference

They asked Todd Akin supporters to stand up front to show support. Six people stood up.

It is so pathetic that it would have been funny if the future of the country, the economy, repeal of ObamaCare are not at stake.

Did the moronic coward take any question?

bayview on August 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Christ, this guy is unreal. What a selfish bastage.

RedNewEnglander on August 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Even worse than him staying in would definitely be if he actually won.

Red Cloud on August 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM

The only folks happier than Claire and 0bama are the ABR nutballs.

cozmo on August 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

gophergirl on August 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Here comes steveangell.

Rusty Allen on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I suspect those voters will come to their senses and go vote for Romney. It would be insane to do otherwise. It’s not like there’s a gun to your head forcing you to vote a straight party ticket. If you’re a masochist, then vote for McCasket. If you want to protest Achin’s candidacy out of disgust(and I can hardly blame you), just don’t cast a vote at all in the Senate race(or go rogue and write in Steelman or Brunner).

All that being said, Romney will win Missouri. I still despise Achin’ though.

Doughboy on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

The silver lining of this moron’s debacle may be that, after the imbecile lost big time in November, he will drag Hug-A-Bee along with him to irrelevancy, and, better yet, oblivion.

bayview on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

What does he hope to gain by staying in? He will not win… and if does win no one will let his previous statement down.

Wouldn’t it be better to pull out rather than lose?

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

This is like using a plane with a hole in the gas tank, because he reserved THAT plane, and not a different one.

IDIOT.

portlandon on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Massachusetts is a safer GOP seat than MO. That’s how screwy this is.

Where’s the write-in?

Mark1971 on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” -Thank you prescient Missourian Mark Twain for describing this congressman.

Alma on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Why aren’t we mounting a write-in campaign? Seriously, let it begin in a week or so.

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Todd Akin has done a lot of thinking about Todd Akin, and Todd Akin feels that the best thing Todd Akin can do is stay in this race. Why? I took an internal poll of Todd Akin and the mirror Todd Akin was standing in front of and both agreed Todd Akin should run.

Put this mans name in the Deathnote.

Gatsu on August 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM

The fact that the GOP money people aren’t coalescing behind a write-in yet is making me wonder if they are planning on just holding out for now and getting back behind Akin if the controversy subsides.

Mark1971 on August 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Exile him.

Somewhere.

JimboHoffa on August 24, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Yeah, but nobody has to ask to see Romney’s birth certificate.

JellyToast on August 24, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Wouldn’t it be better to pull out rather than lose?

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Yeah the whole pulling out thing is what got him into this mess.

vityas on August 24, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I understand how they feel, but they should not punish Mitt Romney for Akin’s stupidity, and selfishness.

Hopefully, there is some other Senate seat the Republicans can pick up to get that 51st vote..but Romney needs those electoral votes.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM

My prediction is Akin wins this seat. It’s a long time until November.

JellyToast on August 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM

CAC at Ace’s sees another path to Senate majority without MO. From about two days ago.

p.s., OT: Apple set to get even richer, re: Samsung.

John the Libertarian on August 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Why would we even want to win with this guy?

Seriously, by September 7th we need a write-in candidate.

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM

My prediction is Akin wins this seat. It’s a long time until November.

JellyToast on August 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM

No he will not.

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Mark1971 on August 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM

It is too early to know it..this whole thing only started a few days ago..they might be planning to do a write in yet..but they have to figure out who it will be. A write in can not be one of the other primary candidates.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Anybody who donated to him is a complete moron. He will lose by 20 points.

WisCon on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I still think he’s the Huckster’s puppet. Huck gets to pull the strings, yet, not get splashed when it all goes splat. It’s a mystery to me why they haven’t thrown him off the convention speakers list. He gives the finger to the party and they reward him.

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Did the moronic coward take any question?

bayview on August 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM

He took 5 questions, all of which were along the lines of “How tough has it been for you this last week?” His son picked the five questioners, and none of the questions were eve remotely substantial.

At the end you could hear one of the real reporters say “Really? ?” (I’m paraphrasing) and they shut off the mics.

It was beyond pathetic.

PetecminMd on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

What a pathetic, self absorbed/serving, idiot. He is a classic example of what is wrong with politics…I hope he fails.

trs on August 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Mark1971 on August 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM

The man doesn’t deserve to be a Senator at this point. He’s counting on the lesser-of-two evils vote.

Charlemagne on August 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Virginia is now the most important Senate race in the country. If MA and NV are holds, as it looks now, and we win MT, NE, ND, and WI, where GOPs are all leading in the polls, then VA gives us 51. And VA is a dead heat right now.

Mark1971 on August 24, 2012 at 7:13 PM

My prediction is Akin wins this seat. It’s a long time until November.

JellyToast on August 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Anything is possible, but I do not think this is likely. I read yesterday that 53% of the Republican voters in MO wanted him to drop out..needless to say a majority of Democrats in that state want him to stay right where he is.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM

My prediction is Akin wins this seat. It’s a long time until November.

If by some miracle he does win the seat, he will vote exactly how McCaskill would have voted. It’s a no win for the GOP.

Ozwitch on August 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

In the video, was that Mr. Akin’s kid introducing him? He looks incredibly Akin-esque.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Too bad the alternate for the GOP in MO, isn’t a Lisa Murkowski-type RINO.

The GOP, the effin Grand Old Party, the one I’m forced to support, would be screaming from the rafters about “A WRITE-IN CANDIDATE”.

You better stop effin’ with us Conservatives and the Mission From God, we’re on. You’re all in office because of us and you slap us in the face, every friggin’ day.

Now, stand up and get a write-in candidate in motion and fight, fight, fight!

Typicalwhitewoman on August 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Ace’s apology is a hoot. Go read it if you haven’t yet.

JimLennon on August 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Mark1971 on August 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I guess a part of me is thinking it might be best to let him twist in the breeze and let republican voters get panicky enough that they will be more likely to embrace the Akin alternative than if we jump in now with a write in. I am probably over-thinking. THere are some people clinging to this guy. The longer this goes with support going from him in droves, the easier it will be to convince them that if they really are pro-life they should go with a candidate that can win.

One thing is for sure. I am very glad Akin made this stupid comment, because this kind of powerhungry ego doesn’t belong in the SEnate on either side of the aisle.

earlgrey133 on August 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

what a total AHOLE….man this guy is pathetic….

SDarchitect on August 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Why would we even want to win with this guy?

Seriously, by September 7th we need a write-in candidate.

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I agree, but if the money people in the GOP agreed I think they would be getting behind somebody. I don’t see them just letting MO go. Either they will get behind an alternative or come in later for Akin.

Mark1971 on August 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I wonder if it will work for Huck…I bet that a lot of his viewers are wishing that someone else had won that primary right about now. This might actually hurt Huck.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

All that being said, Romney will win Missouri. I still despise Achin’ though.

Doughboy on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

It’s not just Missouri. It’s the Missouri Senate seat. There’s a geniune chance we could kick Harry Reid out of the chair this year. This self-serving jerk could put Romney’s presidency at risk if Reid is there to ignore everything being legislated on.

Stinking jerk.

itsspideyman on August 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

What about the principle that we have to win the senate to repeal obamacare, you utterly brainless moron?

AndStatistics on August 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Ace’s apology is a hoot. Go read it if you haven’t yet.

JimLennon on August 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

You are right, it is funny.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Not a chance of winning.

Rusty Allen on August 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Probably handles the poll interpetation for him. That’s why they thought the PPP poll with the oversampled pubbie numbers the day after, was good news.

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Which is the main reason that a serious, unified write in campaign should be started, to get those who might sit out the election to get energized and get out and vote. Might not be enough to win the Senate seat (doubtful it would), but it might be enough to put Romney over the top.

melchitt on August 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Really? McCaskill seemed to know it.

YYZ on August 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM

If Akin were a truly principled man, instead of selfish ignoramous, he would withdraw from the race!

tomshup on August 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Mark1971 on August 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM

More likely they know the fundies will go for Akin and split the GOP vote. Better to shut up and hope Akin pulls it out. They can always go for a funny campaign that says: “As bad as Akin is, and he’s pretty bad, McCaskill is worse. Much worse. Vote Akin.” It is, after all, the absolute truth. I would really like to see her lose to this guy. It would be awesome. She deserves to be sent away in humiliation, such a wretched, corrupt hack she is.

Rational Thought on August 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM

He’s going to be in for a very rude awakening in November. Those urging him on ought to be ashamed of themselves. The saddest part is, he’s getting terrible advice and can’t even see that. I’m embarrassed for him, frankly…I don’t think he meant any malice with his remarks, but he also doesn’t realize just how poorly they came across.

A write-in campaign might be the best idea…it would at least get those who MIGHT stay home because of this clusterfark out to the polls, something Romney very much needs. It’ll further antagonize the social cons backing his doomed candidacy, but at this point that’s secondary to delivering the state for Romney and, hopefully, the Senate seat for the GOP.

changer1701 on August 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hilarious, “RINOs and suspected homosexuals”.

Rusty Allen on August 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM

tomshup on August 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM

A selfish politician?! I’ve not heard of such a creature, said no American ever!

gryphon202 on August 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

We can dream, but, he’s got a nice access to the public via Fox and his radio gig. I still think this is because of Romney’s Mormonism. Remember all that sly Mormon baiting Huck did in 2008? Down deep he’s real bigoted azzhole.

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM

He’s an atheist? (Don’t ban me, AP, I’m just kidding!)*hides*

SailorMark on August 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I like him, and I’m glad he stayed in to fight against Colter and Rove. It was never clear to me what people didn’t understand about backing an animal into a corner and poking it with sticks. Romney is losing his race, so I’m not sure where he gets off giving other people advice.

ramthulon on August 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM

The GOP could potentially turn this and begin backing this guy again by zeroing in on partial birth abortion. If they could stay disciplined, argue that obamacare will result in thousands of full-term babies being partially born and murdered, and that THAT is far more extreme than anything Akin said, they might scare the dems away from the conversation.

Rational Thought on August 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM

ramthulon on August 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Kamikaze pilots also worked on principle.

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

gophergirl on August 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Well, let’s see what happens. If he keeps tanking in the polls and the deadline for the September 11 RNC ad buy comes up, maybe he’ll reconsider and do the unselfish thing by stepping aside. If not, perhaps they’ve got a more reasonable write-in candidate and campaign ready then. I hate to see us give up on the seat given how winnable the seat is with a candidate that isn’t mortally wounded. Surely in 2 weeks they can find a respectable social/fiscal conservative with good name recognition and an easy to spell name!

Jill1066 on August 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM

tomshup on August 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM

If the blogs were principled, they’d stop writing about this hack.

JPeterman on August 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Chip off the old blockhead.

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM

ramthulon on August 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I’m not even sure if an animal backed into a corner and poked with sticks would utter anything about a magic uterus.

AllahsNippleHair on August 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM

ramthulon on August 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Colter and Rove my behind..this is about a stupid little man who screwed and did not have the balls to admit it and make amends…he comes up with some half ass apology and acts as if that is the end of it.

The Democrats helped him win that nomination and he is turning out to be a real asset for them.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM

That should be screwed up…but you get my drift, I am sure.

Preview is for the faint of heart.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:30 PM

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Hug-A-Bee was given a speaker slot before the moron eruption.

On principle, he should be removed as a speaker after he give the party the finger with his support of the cretin and his public and more than antagonistic email. But to take away his speaking spot openly as a pay back will anger his “oh so very easy and ready to take offense”, small but vocal followers. And every vote counts in this close election

I wonder whether the prolonged roll call for nomination on Monday will crowd out his slot or a time that no one watches.

bayview on August 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Do we need further evidence that Akin is an ass?

Intrepid767 on August 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Then we’re in far bigger trouble than one election could ever cure. Fearing to tell the truth and build constituencies around it and tackling their evil PC as the destructive force it is, we instead help them use it more and more as we cower and bob and weave praying they don’t call us nasty names, or the indies won’t like us..

Don L on August 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM

You’ll get no argument from me on either of those points.

REPEAL THE 17TH!

gryphon202 on August 24, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Akin – the man who single handedly saved Obamacare

ArthurMachado on August 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Looks like Missouri sure does own the “Show me” sloagn. Eveytime I turn around they show me how to elect a idiot. Either this Akin nutjob or McCaskill.. Kinda reminds me of when Louisiana had the klan or crook. Oh, this is bad, really bad…. And what a self centered toolm this clown is…

Mark

mailmars on August 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I was going to vote for akin before his rape comments,but now that I know that his stupid words stain the entire party with stupid.I can’t bring myself to vote for the stupid republicans this year.I’ll have to vote for the Dems.Because I don’t want to be linked with stupid people.

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Here comes steveangell.

Rusty Allen on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Yeppers! In Stevie’s Bizarro World, we have to support Akin and his Magical Vajayjay Shield idiocy or we will be forced to suffer the full brunt of Obamacare. This coming from a guy who has repeatedly stated that HE WILL NOT VOTE FOR ROMNEY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IN NOVEMBER.

Maybe, the idiot’s tinfoil hat and double-secret decoder ring can riddle us this:

What good is a Senator Akin in a Republican-controlled Senate with a President Obama still in the White House wielding a veto pen?

Upshot of the Akin debacle in my book: Huck is shot down in flames.

Resist We Much on August 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

ninjapirate on August 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Who’s going to run if Akin doesn’t withdraw? Who’s going to pay for it? He’ll always going to get 10%-15% from the hardcore evangelicals (a powerful constituency there) + low-info voters who will just vote straight Republican.

McCaskill will always get 40-45% of the vote, especially after this debacle. Democrats have a relatively high floor in Missouri in a presidential/neutral years. People talk about running Kit Bond, but he only got more than 53% of the vote once. Two years ago, in a wave year for Republicans, a very weak Democrat candidate,facing a strong Republican, still got 41% in the Senate race. The vote percentage in Pres. races since Reagan were 51%, 41%, 33%, 50%, 53%, 49% for the R candidate.

We aren’t talking about Utah or Alabama here (unlike those who think Akin can still win seem to believe); Missouri was a bellwether state till four years ago and Obama was a few votes away from carrying it.

There’s only one write-in candidate who could be fairly certain about winning with Akin staying in the race: John Danforth, because he’d eat McCaskill’s margins with moderate and conservative democrats and dominate with Indies. But he’s old and doesn’t want to return to politics, you can’t force the man to run any more you can force Akin out. Plus, we’d never hear the end of it from the crazy fringe if the GOP supports someone like Danforth, who had strong words against the fringes of the Christian Right in the past.

To every other candidate, it’d be a very risky endeavour. Heavy investment necessary for low chances of success as long as Akin is staying in the race.

The best course of action is to let the self-serving crazy fringe supporting Akin, the FRC, the AFA, Huckabee, etc, that they’re setting back the pro-life cause out of a temper tantrum and that people won’t forget that once they need donations or have books to sell.

joana on August 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Guess this guy never heard of selfless service. All about him, everyone else be dammed.

Ragnar Danneskold on August 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Mark

mailmars on August 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

This clusterfark has been brought to you by the 17th amendment to the United States Constitution. Thanks, 17th amendment!

gryphon202 on August 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM

…Akin needs to change his first name to Azzwipe!

KOOLAID2 on August 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I’m suck of him. There’s nothing I can do about this delusional jackwad. It’s uj to Missouri residents to fix it, or not.

Ot: SPR apparently will be raided..

wolly4321 on August 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Because I don’t want to be linked with stupid people.

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Too late. You’re you.

KingGold on August 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM

So what about these secret vag-voodoo secretions that protect a female Senator from losing her re-election bid? Has Akin clarified his stance on this topic?

( …no, this isnt working )

Jeddite on August 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Good for you!

Bless your heart.

cozmo on August 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I’m not sure which principle he means.

his main principle is Life. Life is first, then everything else.

Abolish abortions…then we’ll talk about the future of the country.

Take the first sentence of the commercial. “America was founded on the unique vision that our creator gave us life, the foundation of freedom, liberty, to speak as you choose and own what you earn, and the pursuit of happiness, the call to fully and courageously live the dream God puts in our hearts,” says Akin. Um, what?

r keller on August 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Suck=sick. Oops.

wolly4321 on August 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM

gryphon202 on August 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I bet Mr. Akin would like to rescind the 19th amendment.

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on August 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

election, not selection! zing!

oh well. the repubs should have not put so much preasure to him to get out. they should have just criticized him. and express vigorous disagreement.
now the brides are burn and the seat is lot.

nathor on August 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

akin is paying too much attention to… himself. although i bet if he loses, he’ll blame the establishment “party bosses” or the liberal media, anyone but himself! though if he wins then like i have said before, i’ll gain respect for him. because i don’t think he can win. why? because his reputation is going down the drain!

Put this mans name in the Deathnote.

Gatsu on August 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM

omg <3333 one of my absolute favorite manga/anime ever =D

Sachiko on August 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Do we need further evidence that Akin is an ass?

Intrepid767 on August 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yes we do. About 50 more posts about this idiot, with 8 pages of comments per post and about 6 more QOTD’s.

JPeterman on August 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM

JPeterman on August 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Flatearther?

cozmo on August 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

So voting for the dem still does that, right?

The problem is…the dems would never abandon their candidate. Because they feel no matter how stupid he/she is, they are still better than the opposition.

And as stupid as Akin is, is his policies, his political policies better than the opponent?

right2bright on August 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM

That must be his idiotic son who immediately palmed his father’s comb-over in the first seconds. Oh, the Democrats are going to ignore THAT./

bayview on August 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

AMEN, brother.

Marcus on August 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Boneheaded and principled is still boneheaded.

PersonFromPorlock on August 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Okay. That was officially AWESOME. lol

Murf76 on August 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM

@gryphon Really? How would we be better off if the state legislatures chose U.S. Senators? That process had become pretty darn corrupt in the late 19th century, if not earlier.

DavidW on August 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Flatearther?

cozmo on August 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Maybe if we ignore him, he’ll go away.

JPeterman on August 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Bite me EGO MAN -more than a little sick sh!t going on your head.

koaiko on August 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM

There are limits, even for Democrats. The Green Party candidate pulled 9% support against Alvin Greene’s 28%. So only 75% of Democrats would never abandon their candidate; the other 25% do possess some measure of shame.

Fabozz on August 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I am going to be seriously pissed if this makes the difference between repealing Obamacare and keeping it.

Count to 10 on August 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

joana on August 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

there are good reasons to have a write in. First, this is Clarie’s seat…it is what it is

But, we need to have a reason to get out the Vote. For the sake of romney, and down ticket people. we can not have voter suppression, otherwise we’ll lose eveything

A robust campaign by Bond (simple) with lots of money will get votes, and give people to come out, and fight the good fight against the fringe

the good fight is what we need…even in a losing cause. Also, claire might be somewhat more careful about her leftism if she gets less that 50 percent

bond should do this for the sake of the party…knowing that he’ll get 35 percent of the vote

r keller on August 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM