Obama spokesman: That Romney birth certificate joke is “gutterball politics”

posted at 4:17 pm on August 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

In case you’re wondering what it takes to offend a campaign whose allies have accused Romney of tax evasion based on anonymous “sources” and blamed him for leaving a steelworker’s wife to die from cancer uninsured, here you go. Turns out Obama, whose major contribution to deficit reduction this past year was the fiscal joke known as the “Buffett Rule,” is running a serious, substantive campaign while Romney, who just took up the sword of entitlement reform by picking Paul Ryan, is all about smears and distractions. The things you learn on MSNBC.

Two points. One: I don’t get why Romney would step on his own message to make a birth certificate joke. He’s spent the past week neck-deep in culture-war quicksand thanks to Todd Akin and is looking at another week of it once the Democratic convention opens. He could have used today to talk about unemployment or his energy policy or whatever, but instead he chose to throw the press some chum with this. (One of his aides told BuzzFeed that the line wasn’t in Romney’s prepared remarks but was delivered off-the-cuff. I’ll bet.) The point, I guess, is to prove that he’s capable of being politically incorrect by tweaking the media on a subject that makes them hyperventilate like almost nothing else, but anyone who cares much about that was voting for him already. It’s hard enough for Romney to break through the media’s wall of nonsense to reach voters. Why hand them another brick?

Two: This is the perfect ending to a week marked by criticism from Jake Tapper and, more tepidly, Chuck Todd that the media isn’t doing its job. From the moment this sentence escaped Romney’s lips, it was a metaphysical certainty that it would dominate political coverage for the rest of the day, with MSNBC’s pants-wetting expected to last well into the evening. No one expected otherwise even though everyone understands that few votes, if any, will shift because of this. When I started reading blogs years ago, it was relatively rare for reporters to admit that the media is biased or prone to trivial treatment of momentous events; whenever a reporter or editor actually ‘fessed up — the example that sticks in my mind was Daniel Okrent acknowledging the patently obvious fact that the NYT is a liberal newspaper — it was big news, a moral victory for conservatives who demanded that the press own up to its prejudices. These days, my sense is that they’re more willing to own up (they have to be since there are so many more critics online cataloging them) but that they’ve started to use their candor almost as an excuse to be as trivial as they want. Sure, they’ll spend three days navel-gazing about Romney’s dumb joke, but as long as Todd or Bob Schieffer or some other big name TV journalist sighs afterward and admits that it’s silly to spend three days on this, well, then that’s proof that they have “integrity” after all. Three cheers for progress.

Two clips for you here, one of Obama’s flack checking the various talking-point boxes and the other, via the Examiner, of MSNBC being very MSNBC-ish.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Actually, I wish that were true, but it is not.

BTW, I have been banned from lots of liberal sites…and I don’t whine about it.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I disagree! Allah or probably Ed is quick to ban liberals. I read HA constantly and I cant remember the last time i saw a liberal comment. I will have to assume most if not all have been banned for stating their opinions.

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

That’s hysterical! Made me laugh! LOL!

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Well, we all know how it will end for HAL. ; )

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Really? I mean really?I guess you haven’t met libforlife?

sandee on August 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Gutterball politics? And accusing your opponent of being guilty of murder of a man’s wife is not gutterball politics. Democrats are so dirty they are a scourge on the face of the earth!!!

logicman_1998 on August 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM

YES! Do that all the time. Keep saying things to make the libs and lib media hyperventilate… until they pass or tire out, like they did to us with the Jeremiah Wright flap. And why not, mention J Wright, in relation to how it could be a considered a reflection of character. See the libs spin. Whatever, say things that shouldn’t be a big deal objectively, but are going to cause them to go into spasms.

anotherJoe on August 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM

If that is the case, how come the messiah is constantly leading in the polls?

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

If that was even remotely true, HAL, you wouldn’t be in a perpetual lather.

We know you. We’ve seen progressives when they were winning and we’ve seen them when they were losing.

You’re losing, you know it, and we know that you know it.

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM

and yes, the media is biased. yes, liberals can get away with saying things that are worse. no, it’s not fair. that’s just how it is. conservatives need to watch what they say and not say things that are unnecessary for the point they’re trying to make, and give fuel to liberal memes.

Sachiko on August 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

At some point in time we have to stop worrying about the liberal media having a cow..Romney is a decent man who was obviously making a good humored joke..if these people want to make an issue of something like this, there is no dealing with them anyway. If he had seriously questioned Obama’s place of birth in an ad or something that would be different..by the way, even if he did would it be any worse than being called a murderer? I am not a birther btw, but I think some people are being a bit silly about this.

I think people need to stop worrying about the media so much. They are what they are..that is why 80% of the people in this country have a bad opinion of them.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

This is the dumbest post I’ve seen in months.

Red Cloud on August 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Keef?

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Why do birds suddenly appear?

kingsjester on August 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM

OMG, I’m laughing SOOO hard !!
:-)

pambi on August 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

You don’t read HA constantly. Libfreeordie, lester, and urban elitist have all posted TODAY.

Bitter Clinger on August 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

anotherJoe on August 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Maybe Romney could joke about whatever else people might say about Mormons, at least they don’t scream God Damn America from the pulpit.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

ROFLOL !!

Holy cow, this is a laugh-riot, today !!

pambi on August 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Screw ‘em if they can’t take a joke. Literally.
Who cares what the liberals and media think. Panties in a wad. Noise.

Eye on the prize. November.

ncjetsfan on August 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Bitter Clinger on August 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Ditto tommyhawk.

sentinelrules on August 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

LOL! “Stop Dave, I’m afraid.” :)

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

“Gutterball politics”?

LMAO… That’s rich.

Here, this way to your fainting couch.

petefrt on August 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Bitter Clinger on August 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

And there was that chump something or other in the other joke thread…whining about tax returns. same old same old.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

You’re losing, you know it, and we know that you know it.

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I’ll bet HAL bought one of those Obama fundraising coffee mugs that went on sale right after Mitt pulled the Michigan coup.

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Screw ‘em if they can’t take a joke. Literally.
Who cares what the liberals and media think. Panties in a wad. Noise.

Eye on the prize. November.

ncjetsfan on August 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Hell yes.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Overreaction much??

The bigger joke here is the MSNBC panel’s buffoonish response.

SukieTawdry on August 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Oh, and YoBammy’s dog on the roof joke this week was fine?

zdpl0a on August 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Your comment contains at least 5 big lies.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Has anyone ever realized that the word ban and a deodorent have a political connection.

Don L on August 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Guy Benson:

The Romney camp is going with a cheeky feigned ignorance — who, us? — defense:

Romney senior adviser Kevin Madden said after the candidate’s remarks, “The governor has always said, and has repeatedly said, he believes the president was born here in the United States. He was only referencing that Michigan, where he is campaigning today, is the state where he himself was born and raised.”

bayview on August 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Oh, I think its much worse than that with a true devotee like HAL. I think there’s that ubiquitous “O” logo tattooed somewhere on his/her person.

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Well i think i am the only lib left here. Every other lib has been banned.

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Yes, they do have a nasty habit of making death threats, spamming threads, spouting racial and sexual slurs, and just generally being obnoxious.

Don’t worry, I’m sure more will come in the next open registration. In fact, I plan to make at least one liberal sock puppet myself. So even there really isn’t anyone else left here by then who agrees with you, you’ll at least think there is. At least until I take things too far and go over-the-top in a way that gets my sock puppet banned.

On the subject of banned trolls, did something happen to uppereastside? I thought I saw someone say in a thread a few days ago that he got the axe.

RINO in Name Only on August 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Guy Benson:

The Romney camp is going with a cheeky feigned ignorance — who, us? — defense:

bayview on August 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Moi?

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

This will definitely backfire on Romoney. A big time unforced error.The media has been looking for a gaffe to pin on Romoney and he has given them one.

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Wow, the Sleeper Cells have been coming out of the woodwork today, eh what?

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Dr. Big Kahuna – Yes, I delivered the man-god. What struck me as odd, though, was that a deity would have such big ears.

Ah, the better with which to hear clearly all our adoration, exultation, and good vibrations…..and to hear any murmured or whispered negative waves so the man-god may smite the wave makers.

hawkeye54 on August 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Your comment contains at least 5 big lies.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

And it was a short comment.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM

HAL………Daisy.

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Now, that is a joke. It is interesting however that you would say the media has been looking for a gaffe to pin on Romney…sounds like you are admitting that they are out to get him.

A Freudian slip..

But as we all know, calling a man a liar, a tax cheat, a felon and a murderer are just normal every day politicking.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Oh my!First we find out Todd Akin believes in magic genitals.Now we find out Romney is a Right Wing Birther! Akin & Romney must step down now and let someone thats not a kook save this election for us,or all is lost!

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Should we make him sing first…or during?

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Looks like Rules for Radicals is required reading to be on Gay Commie scum Obama’s team.

tom daschle concerned on August 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Bitter Clinger on August 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

And here’s a little trick for you HAL, when you’ve clicked on any of the posts here at Hot Air, press ctrl F, a little box will open, type any of the three names listed above in that box, and like magic, there are your little liberal cohorts with their name highlighted. Keep pressing “next” and see all of their mindless chatter.

behiker on August 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM

bayview on August 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Heh. Plausible deniability. But, he knew where the sweet spot was and exploited it. Well played, sir.

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM

The dog joke was “a short lite moment, in an otherwise substantive speech”..

What does the dummy think Mitt’s was?

Goebbels is having way too much fun.

This witch dares to name “facts”.

Andrea inserts the “racial”. Andrea is an ugly hack, not a reporter.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Woof!

SouthernGent on August 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The birth certificate issue has wormed its way back into the conversation. I saw where Barry Obamao joked about it, and so Mitt alluding to his own bc seems very innocuous. Facts are stubborn things, however, and the birth certificate that Comandante Barry showed us is a FAKE!! a FAKE!!

bill glass on August 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Don’t worry, I’m sure more will come in the next open registration. In fact, I plan to make at least one liberal sock puppet myself. So even if there really isn’t anyone else left here by then who agrees with you, you’ll at least think there is. At least until I take things too far and go over-the-top in a way that gets my sock puppet banned.

RINO in Name Only on August 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I don’t know why this made me laugh so much, but it did.

SailorMark on August 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

“IT’S SCARY TO THINK OF ROMNEY’S BASE BIGOTRY….”

Shark…JUMP…shark…JUMP….shark….JUMP

Does MSNBC think anyone but hard-line libbies CARE what they think about “bigotry” and “racism”?

Grace_is_sufficient on August 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

WE are dealing with this issue about a ‘joke’ about a bc, but this IS NOT a joke and needs to be front and center! And bho is doing his dead level best to see this continues for now till the US is gone?

L

letget on August 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Why shouldn’t Romney step aside now that he has revealed himself to be a birther? This will hurt all the down ballet races! Romney must go!

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

IMO Romney is going to learn to hit a lot lower to come anywhere near the basement level Ibama is going to inhabit.

The Left whines and accuses os of having no sense of humor when we object to the bile that comesfrom Letterman,Maher,Stewart,etc. Seems like they need to lighten up and learn how to take a joke.

katiejane on August 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Keef?

a capella on August 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM

More like QUEEF!

……………jus sayin………ROFL

Katfish on August 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I pray Romney hits the snarky little bastard with a “Bless your heart” during a debate.

RobertE on August 24, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Romney is totally tweaking Barackabama since he know Barackabama doesn’t like him. I love it.

SouthernGent on August 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Should we make him sing first…or during?

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM

For the finale. ; )

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Was that birth certificate joke about Obama ?
… or was it about his father, former Michigan Governor George Romney ?
The campaign event was in Michigan afterall.

Questions were occasionally asked about George Romney’s eligibility to run for President in 1968 due to his birth in Mexico, given the ambiguity in the United States Constitution over the phrase “natural-born citizen”. His Mormon paternal grandfather and his three wives had fled to Mexico in 1886, but none of them ever relinquished U.S. citizenship. Romney’s parents chose U.S. citizenship for their children, including George. The family fled Mexico and came to the United States in 1912 during the Mexican Revolution.

J_Crater on August 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I agree. I think we may have wound our new toy a little to tightly. It seems to have disappeared! :)

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

athenadelphi on August 24, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Wow, losing track of all the Sleeper Cell Activations this afternoon. Epic.

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I’ll take the blame. They don’t like me much for some odd reason. rogerb will be happy. ; )

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Would that be the same media currently running hour-long, primetime “specials” on the Mormon Church, all designed to cast Romney as “the other”?

Rational Thought on August 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I concede this one to you, sir, since you named it so very appropriately!:)

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

..actually, what’s comical is the hyperventilation from the [P]MSNBC panel. Some folks in this thread got it right: as we close in on the election these so-called “distractions” work against Obama. People will begin paying attention and want answers about jobs and the economy and grow frustrated with Obama’s obfuscation and misdirection.

The War Planner on August 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

geeze, y’all, I go away for a few minutes to do some work and y’all break the new lib…

I ain’t lettin’ y’all anywhere near my toys.

cozmo on August 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

FloatingRock on August 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Pumice sinks, y’know.

Cold pumice floating on water slowly absorbs water into the vesicles and eventually sinks. Experiments show that some pumice can remain afloat for over 1 1/2 years. The time taken for enough water to be adsorbed to sink depends on the pumice size, initial density, the size distribution of vesicles and the connectedness of the vesicles. Hot pumice often sinks immediately on immersion in water despite having a lower density than water. Experiments demonstrate that for any pumice there is a critical temperature above which the pumice will sink.

Just sayin’

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Those chemicals you are imbibing are still illegal.

chemman on August 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM

How come he never has a meaningful lead outside of the fox and ras polls?

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM

In the past week alone, 3 “polls” have come out that have had Democrat over-samples of anywhere between 9 and 19 points.

Garbage in, garbage out.

And unlike Ras and Fox, the majority of the others doing the “polling” are O’bama supporters; two of them (WaPo and the NYT) actually endorsed him in 2008 and will do so again this year, and many members of the other “news organizations” who also “poll” have donated to his campaign.

F-

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I just read a commenter on Althouse’s blog noting that he didn’t think much of the birther stuff until he learned that barack himself had promoted himself as having been born in Kenya via his official biography from his publisher for a dozen or so years.

Rational Thought on August 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Yep, his literary agent claimed that. There’s even a copy of one of the actual promo brochures on the interwebs, and it’s real.

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Maybe if Obama had delivered his birth certificate, Romney wouldn’t have made the joke. btw, we still haven’t seen it.

cajunpatriot on August 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Bmore on August 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Be careful my friend, wouldn’t want your hair parted unexpected again… ;)

SWalker on August 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

HA is EASILY one of the commenting sites on the internet LEAST likely to ban commenters with politics the opposite of the hosts.

slickwillie2001 on August 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

cozmo on August 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

LOL! Made me laugh! :)

thatsafactjack on August 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The dog joke was “a short lite moment, in an otherwise substantive speech”..

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Romney’s response needs to quote that exact line… Now THAT would be funny!

RationalIcthus on August 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 5:22 PM

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Geez. Axlerod really needs to find a better barrel to scrape.

Flora Duh on August 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM

That Romney birth certificate joke is “gutterball politics”

And that’s from the folks who SPECIALIZE in it!

GarandFan on August 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Apparently Allah is under the impression that the MSNBC drones were prepared to be fair in their treatment of Romney IF ONLY he hadn’t made that joke. And of course what would an Allahpundit article be without a pointless BuzzFeed reference.

cicerone on August 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Geez. Axlerod really needs to find a better barrel to scrape.

Flora Duh on August 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Record number of Hot Gas Sleeper Cell accounts activated today.

Del Dolemonte on August 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM

anyone wanna start placing bets as to when romney walks the birth certificate comments back?

renalin on August 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Talent hist a target you can’t hit. Genius hits a target you can’t even see.

VorDaj on August 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM

renalin on August 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Since you brought it up, you start.

cozmo on August 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Why hand them another brick?

Are you blind? He didn’t hand them a brick. He hit them, and Obama, in the head with a brick.

VorDaj on August 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

This uptight preson needs to cut down of the caffeine and take the not out of her jocky’s

Wade on August 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I think Rooney’s possible allusion to a “birth certificate” has AllahPundit more upset than Obama’s paid cronies.

VorDaj on August 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Wade on August 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM

And I need to learn how to type and spell.

This uptight person needs to cut down of the caffeine and take the knot out of her jocky’s

Wade on August 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Rooney’s Romney’s

VorDaj on August 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

VorDaj on August 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

@HeyTammyBruce

Exclusive! Surprising 1st picture of @BarackObama after @MittRomney birth cert joke. http://twitpic.com/ana8hg

Flora Duh on August 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

What he said was fine. It was appropriate because he was visiting his place of birth. It also drew a contrast between him and his opponent and it was humorous. only panty waisted spoilsports would be mad about it.

cheetah2 on August 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I’m surprised the MSNBC mob hasn’t grown hair and fangs and started ripping the studio to shreds with their teeth!

They are such a sensitive lot, you know.

pilamaye on August 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Actually, I wish that were true, but it is not.

BTW, I have been banned from lots of liberal sites…and I don’t whine about it.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I wonder what you would have looked like if you had been a late trimester abortion? A pile of gristle and crushed bone in a trash can. Probably an improvement.

acyl72 on August 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

renalin on August 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I doubt that will be occurring.

(CBS News) In an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley on Friday, Mitt Romney played down the remarks he made about President Obama’s origins, arguing that they amounted to a joke and not a “swipe” at the president.

“No, no, not a swipe,” Romney said. “I’ve said throughout the campaign and before, there’s no question about where he was born. He was born in the U.S. This was fun about us, and coming home. And humor, you know — we’ve got to have a little humor in a campaign.”

Romney was on the campaign trail in his home state of Michigan Friday when he made a crack at the “birther” suspicions that ultimately drove Mr. Obama to release his long-form birth certificate to prove he was born in the United States.

“I love being home in this place where Ann and I were raised, where both of us were born. Ann was born in Henry Ford Hospital. I was born in Harper Hospital,” Romney said in Commerce, Michigan earlier Friday. “No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised.” Source

Flora Duh on August 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM

He probably should have known better than to throw the shark infested media a tiny little piece of chum for them to go into a feeding frenzy over. But I’m glad he did. It gives us yet another chance to see just how easy it is to turn them into a bunch of tail flipping, drooling predators with their eyes rolled back in their heads, shaking, gnawing and shredding every tidbit they can get before their competitors beat them to it. Hilarious. They should send National Geographic to do a documentary on this strange species.

scalleywag on August 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Stick around. It’s always racism or thread hijacking with assorted bigotry that gets the banning.

John the Libertarian on August 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Bitter Clinger on August 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Zekecorlain is still here, too.

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

HAL, you do know what happens when you “ass-u-me”, don’t you?

I keep a little virtual taxidermy museum of trolls who have been banned from HA over the years. Not one of them was banned for simply expressing a liberal opinion.

You think that was the reason because that’s what your side does. At Kos, DU, and even HuffPo, a conservative opinion, no matter how mildly or politely expressed, will get the poster down-voted and banned, sometimes within the hour.

Troll is as troll does. Not all the banned trolls were liberal. Some were flaming liberal, some were radical libertarian, some were Stormfront types.

The trolls who have been banned here were not banned for expressing a substantive political opinion, but for some violent comment, e.g. expressing a desire to rape Sarah Palin, expressing a desire for Israel to be wiped off the face of the earth, expressing a desire for some other poster to die horribly, etc.

So mind your manners and make your arguments logical, and you will be safe from the Banhammer.

Mary in LA on August 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

They’re quick to ban people who make comments that fall outside the TOS.

CW on August 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

gohogs on August 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Geez. Axlerod really needs to find a better barrel to scrape.

Flora Duh on August 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM

“down ballet races” must be a Freudian camisole.

slickwillie2001 on August 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

DID HA just have an open enrollment?

CW on August 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

acyl72 on August 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Whoa! Back off there, pardner. See my post above. Sauce for goose = sauce for gander.

Mary in LA on August 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Some posters going waaaaaay off the topic of the post, as usual.

scalleywag on August 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM

OK, Mr. AP, it’s like this.

Romney was messing with Obama’s mind.

It’s like saying to someone who has a fistful of cash, “What did you do, rob a bank?”

If the person didn’t rob a bank they will think it’s funny.

If they did rob a bank they will not be amused and they will get defensive and even mad and they will most definitely look guilty.

VorDaj on August 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM

“down ballet races” must be a Freudian camisole.

slickwillie2001 on August 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Down ballet races sing this song,
Doo dah, doo dah,
Campaign race now six weeks long,
Oh, doo dah day.

Obama lie all night,
Obama lie all day,
Vote for Romney and Ryan too
To save the USA.

/I denounce myself

Mary in LA on August 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM

If that is the case, how come the messiah is constantly leading in the polls?

HotAirLib on August 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Huh?

Obama does not lead in the GALLUP, FOX, or Rasmussen polls. Also, in most of the other polls they show it within the MOE . This is not the time for YOU or us to get cocky.

Do you know what a trend is? The trend is not going your way.

For a newbie you are low quality. My guess is you are young and not very educated. Welcome.

CW on August 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Is this about the lame Romney comment? I didn’t read from the beginning… but it looks like this is way off topic… way off topic and quite mean and personal.

And it isn’t even a Palin thread. Hmmmm.

At any rate that was a lame joke Mitt. But hardly racist or anything else.

Get thicker skin Dems. The birther thing is out there did you not notice it?

If you can’t take a mild little statement like that you need to get out of politics. Please. Now.

petunia on August 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM

It’s the prelude to the Trump presentation in Orlando.

News2Use on August 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Lame left stream media has a very difficult time remembering anything a GOP candidate stands for. Romney has said several times that he believe Mr. President was born here. Doh! His little lighthearted remark doesn’t change that. Dolts.

scalleywag on August 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Really, Dems?

Really?

Given what you’ve accused Romney of (ex: not paying taxes) you can’t take a little ribbing back?

Yeah, that’s who I want for a leader…./sarc

ProfShadow on August 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I was only banned from one site.. Little Green Footballs… I wear that as a badge of honor…

sandee on August 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Me too…but I’ve been kicked out of all kinds of FB political groups…heh

lovingmyUSA on August 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM