New Obama ad: If you’re a woman who favors small government, you should really vote Obama

posted at 4:56 pm on August 24, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Warning: These are two-and-a-half of some of the more deeply aggravating minutes though which I have ever forced myself to sit. Steel yourselves.

In case you’re just not finding the fortitude it takes to watch this sucker (a sentiment with which, I assure you, you’d have complete sympathy from this girl), here’s the rundown: Women of various age-ethnicity-background diversities testify that they have been longtime Republican voters, but that in recent years, something’s up with the Republican party. It’s gotten so darn extreme, what with their crazy statist views on contraception and abortion, and not wanting equal pay for women. There are just so few “moderate” Republicans left. If you’re a conservative women, and you believe in small government, Barack Obama is your candidate, because “he’s keeping the government out of decisions that should remain between you and God and you and your own conscience.”

Just take a second and wrap your head around that. If you’re a woman and you believe in small government, Barack Obama is your guy. …The mind reels.

First of all, equal pay for women? That ship has sailed, and how! Please stop making a federal case out of non-issue that only perpetuates stereotypes and limitations.

Secondly, small government? President Obama has put the expansion of both our federal government and our federal debt on steroids, and ObamaCare is the biggest overstep into everybody’s health-care decisions in the history of the United States. And honestly now, enough is enough with the damned lie that conservatives want to get “statist” with contraception — you can have all the contraception you want, I just don’t want to be forced to pay for your contraception. It’s your business. Democrats are very clearly the party affording the federal government greater authority in people’s private decisions of late, not the other way around.

Thirdly, the fact that they’re trying to make “women’s issues” a deciding factor in this presidential race — so suddenly crucial that’s it’s ostensibly worthy of a party-switcheroo — is utterly galling. In the face of our wretched economy and all of President Obama’s failed policies across all spheres, they’re trying to scare women into thinking that those extremist Republicans want force them all back to the days of Puritanism. If that isn’t a testament to how laughably little the Democrats really have to go on this time around, I don’t know what is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

There isn’t enough distributed computing power in the universe to make it possible for me to wrap my head around that logic.

dissent555 on August 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Since I haven’t totally lost my marbles…yey…i won’t be voting for Zero.
*I’m also not an EFFING MORON!*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Not republican woman, rather libs who think killing their own babies is the central issue. Womans health = women choice to kill. Womens health is such a fraud. Lib women allow themselves to be such pawns. Abortion stops a beating heart.

StevC on August 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM

If only our candidate was a moderate who didn’t give off extremist vibes,… oh wait./

rndmusrnm on August 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

And there you have it; women are the new minority and must be protected from the evil Republicans (and themselves, obviously).

LizardLips on August 25, 2012 at 1:52 AM

“There are 8,000,000 people across America who are too stupid to breathe… These have been but a few of them.”

Jack Deth on August 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Did I miss something? Was the Republican Party the Abortion Party until recently?
Oh… Liars then. And why did I think of Sarah Silverman humping her dog… again.

RalphyBoy on August 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Since I haven’t totally lost my marbles…yey…i won’t be voting for Zero.
*I’m also not an EFFING MORON!*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Hehehe, are you sure about your marbles statement?

Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever be the same after this freaking election…

ccrosby on August 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM

small government is now defined by having all your healthcare decisions dictated by the federal government not you and your doctor?

small government is now defined by forcing small companies to dump their employee insurance in favor of the public insurance dole because it’s too expensive and is destroying their business’s economic viability?

doublespeak doubleplus bad.

mittens on August 25, 2012 at 3:39 AM

So that heavy lady in the picture is the new Obama Girl. My how things have changed. At least she wasn’t in a bikini.

Mojave Mark on August 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Barack Obama’s war on children continues.

PalinLover on August 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM

She looks like someone Obama could nominate for scotus.

Buddahpundit on August 25, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I am for a smaller government which defends all women from republicans who want to take away their right to control their own bodies (unless you’re an eight month old female fetus, in which case, I support the male democrats who think that “small” government should take money from all tax payers, male and female, to fund the surgical removal of this baby girl as a legitimate form of birth control). I defend the President who, as an Illinois state senator, voted against life saving measures for botched partial birth aborted baby girls! I also defend a women’s right to equal pay and agree with the democrats that all women should have to pay higher taxes so that grad students at expensive eastern colleges can have thousands of sexual partners and never pay a dime for the Trojan value pack at Sam’s. Wilt Chamberlain was probably a rich republican who could afford those quantities, right?

Sandra Fluke

essequam on August 25, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I role my eyes at this. Could my gender really be this ignorant? sadly, yes.

shar61 on August 25, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Do women really like being condescended to?

Barky’s campaign seems to be turning it into a motif.

Now now, little ladies. Vote Barky – Barky be good. Barky be looking after you cause you can’t look after yourselves.

Y’all
Chains!

CorporatePiggy on August 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I am totaly confused by this ad. I just dont get it. Why any person could believe this ad.
Much less how any women could believe that smaller goverment = Obama.

After watching this ad I wanted to throw up. Now the real problem – is that a large percentage of women will buy it. They have been brainwashed that forcing employers to pay for contraception is equivient to a personal right. I cant get my employer to even pay for a Vasectamy. Do you think I am upset about it! I am sick and tired of class and gender warefare by the thief in chief we have in charge of this country.

triumphus on August 25, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I will add though, I find it hysterical when these women (not just limited to the video) use these wonderful, happy photos of happy moms with their happy daughters. Why don’t they use photos of just them? as single women with no family, no little girls or boys? After all isn’t that the point? No children because they have a “right” not to have them? They can prevent them first, and then if that doesn’t work they have a right to kill? They should be celebrating their choice, childless travelers living the good life. Yet, they use photos to show a family type setting, when it really is not the point at all. I get so confused….they think we are stupid.

When a man has a legal right to keep his fetus from a woman’s right to kill it, then I would think we would be about “fair”. Then we can see videos of men with their loving children that tell a different story. ” I saved my child”..

shar61 on August 25, 2012 at 8:53 AM

The word for that is Chutzpah!

However, as one who leans towards social libertarianism, I do object and always have to the GOP’s positions in that regard. Stay the heck out of our bedrooms and our business!

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Uh this ad has already been exposed for having registered democrats lying – saying they are republicans. Hahaha

Bensonofben on August 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM

If you’re a woman who favors small government, you should really vote Obama

If you’re a chicken who loves life, you should really vote for Chick-fil-A.

petefrt on August 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

If you’re a woman who favors small government, you should really vote Obama

If you’re a chicken who loves life, you should really vote for Chick-fil-A.

petefrt on August 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

…that is funny!

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Hey ladies, you do know that the key-note speaker for the DNC convention was held liable for rape against three (or more) members of your sex. War on women? You be the judge!

jjnco73 on August 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

“I’m very concerned about Mitt Romney’s attitudes towards women’s rights…”

Extrapolation from pro-life convictions continues to go beyond the pale. Hey, if 50% of the babies born are female, isn’t a pro-lifer MORE on the side of women’s rights?

mid_aged_man on August 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Supposedly one of the women depicted in the ad is actually a registered Democrat since 2006.

They wouldn’t be trying to pull a fast one now – would they?

Timothy S. Carlson on August 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

“I’m Barack Obama and I approved this lie.”

jukin3 on August 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

. Stay the heck out of our bedrooms and our business!

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Nobody cares what you do in your bedroom.

We just don’t want to pay for it.

Solaratov on August 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I made it up to 47 seconds. Anyone make it to the end?

Little Boomer on August 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM

And I am a huge socon. I don’t want in your bedroom. Could care less if you are having sex with your dog. Asking us to pay for it, asking for state recognition is public…

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Of course it is utter B.S. that Obama is better for small business, but they make the entirely valid point:

This is taking aim at religious conservatives who have no problem increasing government power in our private lives. Religious conservatives who what more government force in the arena of values are a huge liability to true small government conservatives.

RomanticIdeal on August 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Stay the heck out of our bedrooms and our business!

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM

If those bedroom “activities” are so bloody friggin cataclysmically important that I am forced by a federal behemoth to pay for them, then damn it, I want those activities broadcast 24/7 on a dedicated cable channel for all of us sponsors to see.

oldfiveanddimer on August 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

We love small government. You know, the kind that will dictate our healthcare to us, and have access to all of our medical records.
- The Ex-Republican Gals
OhEssYouCowboys on August 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM

LOL!

melle1228 on August 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Clueless lester.
I’ve have one of these ultrasounds every single year bcs I have fibroid tumors.
But ultrasounds like this are used for many things.
If you’re going to rip out a growing organism from the place that it is growing inside its mother, it’s going to be important to have an idea of where it’s at & what the environment looks like for that surgical procedure.

As women, we got to the Dr & are routinely probed every year by medical professions over our whole body.
A transvaginal ultrasound wand is NOTHING like a pen!s.
I’ve commented on this before.
Lester’s pen!s may indeed be like one of these wands, & perhaps that’s why he keeps spewing this garbage so often.
If true, it explains so many things about him.

1) What would the ultrasounds show?

(Hint: one word)

2) Why the concern if your answer from (1) isn’t going to be technically/legally killed?

What’s the problem?

Should dentists also be restricted from showing you images of the tooth they’re going to pull?

No scans of kidney stones?

What makes (1) special?

Go ahead. Tell us.
rogerb on August 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Yes lester. Please tell us.

Badger40 on August 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM

RomanticIdeal on August 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yeah because the governement paying for contraception/abortion, and GOVERNMENT recognizing private relationships is sooooo SMALL government.

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Another parade of the strawmen. I guess the leftists believe there are still some “undecideds” dumb enough to buy this crap. Unfortunately, I’m afraid they may be right. Look. Shiny.

fitzfong on August 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Dictatorship doesn’t count as small government.

ravenhairedmaid on August 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Solaratov on August 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM
melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I’m not asking anyone to pay for anything. I am saying, let women choose, don’t make ME pay for your religious exercise, don’t tell me who I can or can’t marry, don’t criminalize conduct between consenting adults (even when an exchange of money if involved), legalize pot and in general, put an end to a host of other laws or desires to force me to live as you would want.

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Didn’t take long to find out that, at least, one of these women were lying about being Republicans.

Bitter Clinger on August 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Oh, they were all acting. They were all coached by the same director, using similar practiced pauses at key points of each comment. It’s a dead giveaway in political commercials, public service announcements, even retail ads pretending to be using “real people”.

But who are you going to believe, this administration, or your own lying eyes?

Freelancer on August 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

You may not be asking to pay for anything, but these women are. Women choosing is a misnomer. People can’t “choose” in society to end another human’s life, but I will compromise and leave abortion laws up to the state. Why the compromise? Because I understand as medical technology progresses the information is on my side of things and the youth recognize this. I don’t exercise religion so I am not sure how I am making you pay for it. I will allow prostitution if you can guarantee me that Democrats won’t make us pay for the “victimizing” of sex workers or their STDS – same thing with drugs users. I will also allow for gay marriage if you can guarantee that it won’t be taught in schools in the names of diversity or in my personal life and business I don’t have to acknowledge gay marriage- or people against gay marriage aren’t charged with hate crimes.

But since you can’t make Democrats and their meddling ways disappear- I will continue to be opposed to things that I see as intruding into MY life and my pocket book.

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Ok, um, MJBrutus, you are clearly unaware that our taxes pay for abortions, contraceptives etc via Planned Parenthood; that militant gays are trying to seize the authority to redefine an inherently & historically religious institution; and that pot is strongly linked to schizophrenia and psychosis, which are great contributors to homelessness, poverty, and general inability to function without tax-funded government assistance.
In essence, a host of YOUR beliefs are being pushed on us, to the tune of millions of tax dollars a day.
So you can turn that finger right around.

ravenhairedmaid on August 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

So you can turn that finger right around.

ravenhairedmaid on August 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Bingo…

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Mojave Mark on August 25, 2012 at 4:46 AM

I don’t think the government paying for her contraceptives is a big issue with her.

Just sayin . . .

BigAlSouth on August 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Conservatives, I love the blogosphere, where would we be without it? However, it’s not enough. We’re preaching to the choir.
We MUST get into the mainstream media and take it back because I simply can’t stand to see another brainwashed, willfully misinformed, flabbergastingly naive, sheeple-following, TV-gawping, drug-soaked liberal parroting the same scripted spew any longer. It’s an embarrassment to mankind. I’m putting my money where my mouth is and, at the tender age of 43, will be returning to school to train in journalism.
Get ready, here I come.

ravenhairedmaid on August 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

You may not be asking to pay for anything, but these women are.

Those women are dirt. I am not them and I am not asking for what they want.

I’m good with that.

Hate crimes have no place in out legal system. Either a person injures another, in which case they are due compensation or legal sanction or they don’t. Again, don’t confuse me with a donkey. Doing so will only cause you to misunderstand me.

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM

My criticism here is of both donkeys and elephants. Each has and continues to try to use laws to control us in ways that are anathema to the ideals of this nation. Yes, the donkeys are much worse, but that does not excuse the other side of their transgressions.

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I just checked in on the hilarity at Twitchy:

Another one bites the dust!

Jack Deth on August 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

At least one of the women in this ad is a registered Democrat (Marina Ciano has been a registered Democrat since Oct 2006 — Buzzfeed. Aug 24) This was well before Obama became a candidate for president.

It seems to me that when you have to lie so obviously in your campaign ads, you’re skating on pretty thin ice.

I’m a woman and I wouldn’t vote for this loser of a president if he was the last politician on Earth. My cat now, or maybe my parakeet, or even the stump of the tree in my back yard — they would be better choices. At least they wouldn’t try to force me into a health care plan that I don’t want, and is worse by far than the one I have now.

Any woman who votes for this crook deserves what she gets for voting with her emotions. They do all the rest of us a bad turn by making the world think women are all ditzes.

hachiban on August 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

They’re doing this for two reasons. 1. To spite Romney for his ads that it’s ok for Democrats to vote Republican;

MrX on August 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Heh… That line of attack must really be messing with Barry’s ego.

RalphyBoy on August 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

So you can turn that finger right around.

ravenhairedmaid on August 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Sorry, but those are not my beliefs. I suggest that the road to being a good journalist, at any age, is to get your facts right.

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I wasn’t accusing you of being a donkey. I am saying you can’t wish donkeys out of the government. EVERY issue you raise gives free license to donkeys to get into parental rights, business rights and my pocketbook. In essence, give the government more power over people who have no self-control. And until such time that you can guarantee me that those things will intrude on my life; I will continue as my Constitutional right to exercise my vote against those things.

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM

“I’m Barack Obama and I approved this lie two minutes and 30 seconds of unintelligible white noise.”

jukin3 on August 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Fixed.

Myron Falwell on August 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Exactly. Get the government out of our lives! That goes for elephants and donkeys! But no, life doesn’t come with guarantees. Free people will do and says things that you don’t like.

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I am for that, but tell me are you going to go “Harry Potter” and make Democrats dissappear? You do realize that a lot of us are social conservatives in RESPONSE to legislation we have seen passed before. See gay marriage/Massachusetts and parental rights.

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

melle1228 on August 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

A lot of conservatives seek to impose their own intrusive agendas on us. You can pretend that conservatives only play defense, but you would only be kidding yourself. Remember the 1950′s? Me neither, but we are still living with the puritanical after effects along with the reactionary liberal agenda that was its answer. Government has too much power over our lives. Its influence swings like a pendulum from left to right and back.

I can no more make the donkeys and their dreams disappear than I can their conservative counterparts. The best I can do is prioritize the issues I care about and vote accordingly. I am a reliable conservative vote because most of the time they are closer to what I want about what I care most about. That said, I will not turn a blind eye towards their failings either.

Quite frankly, these issues generally don’t decide things for me, except for when some truly monstrous law is proposed seriously or passed. When issues like the economy, employment and national security are in good shape, only then do social issues usually appear on my radar. They can make for fun arguments, however :-)

MJBrutus on August 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

If only campaigns were fined for the lies they state..

0bama and the Dems would be broke by the end of the month!

ProfShadow on August 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

you can have all the contraception you want, I just don’t want to be forced to pay for your contraception.

Huzzah!

I think the key here is that Romney/Ryan have to:
a) Say this
b) Leave religion out of it.

To me, it isn’t about religious freedom as much as personal freedom. Sure, Liberals love it when the benevolent unelected-government official is decreeing something they like. But what if the next unelected official decrees something they don’t like? They’ve already WILLINGLY GIVEN UP THAT POWER.

There is a salient argument without talking about religious freedom. There’s a BIG REASON why even libs should be worried about things like this.

It’s similar with abortion. People are never going to agree as to the basis of where life begins. I don’t anticipate we’ll ever be a country that bans all abortion. But what libs need to understand is that private citizens shouldn’t have to be forced to pay for something so controversial. The stock response is usually “Well, I didn’t support X war, why should I pay for it?” And the answer is because funding/fighting a war is one of the EXPLICIT JOBS of the federal government. Paying for people to kill their own babies is not.

Violina23 on August 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

These idiots must have been on the dark side of the moon for the last three an a half years. The sad thing is they breed and vote.

savage24 on August 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM

This woman looks like what you wake up to after a good drunk

Wade on August 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM

This woman looks like what you wake up to after a good drunk

Wade on August 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Scratch that, even Jack Daniel Goggles could not make that look good.

Wade on August 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM

savage24 on August 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM

They’re not idiots. They’re campaign operatives. They appeal to the idiots that still think that Obama is the Messiah. It won’t help. This country is full of morons, but I don’t think that Obama can collect enough of them in order to get re-elected.

I agree with Savage about the breeding thing. I actually favor free contraceptives for liberals.

cajunpatriot on August 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Obama wants the Federal Government to leave you alone… on any choice more important than School Lunches.

Anything that important or more important should be controlled by a bureaucracy that will never listen to people at a Federal level to institute a one-size-fits-nobody policy to control things.

But anything less important than a school lunch menu… yeah, Obama might let you keep that… for now.

gekkobear on August 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I don’t know what they find so “big government” about an unwanted and unnecessary vaginal probe.

plewis on August 27, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Free Jenny Craig and facial hair removal!

claudius on August 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Hey ladies. The Democrats want you to think that you should think and vote with your uterus. Is that what it was made to do????

ted c on August 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

No, but it is the best device for finding all the stuff my “men” have lost in my house… Obviously, if you don’t have one, you can never find anything! hehe

HilliardPatriot on August 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM