Shocker: Donations from media companies go largely to Obama

posted at 12:01 pm on August 23, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! According to the Center for Responsive Politics (OpenSecrets), the New York-based realm of the major media industry has made quite a few more campaign contributions to Democrats and to President Obama than to their Republican challengers. Basing their numbers on both donations by a company’s PAC and any donor who listed that company as their employer, the center reports that (via NYT):

News Corporation has donated $504,162 to individuals, Super PACs and candidates in 2012, according to the Center for Responsive Politics’s OpenSecrets Web site. Eight of the 10 top recipients of that cash are Democrats. (Mr. Murdoch’s personal contributions largely favor Republicans, though his wife, Wendi Murdoch, has donated to Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a Democrat from New York.) …

Other media companies have contributed more significantly to Mr. Obama, including Time Warner, owner of CNN and the magazine publishing house Time Inc. The company, which is based in New York and also owns Warner Brothers and HBO, has contributed $191,834 to Mr. Obama in the 2012 election cycle, compared with $10,750 to Mr. Romney. The Walt Disney Company, owner of ABC and ESPN, donated $125,856 to Mr. Obama and $9,950 to Mr. Romney.

Philadelphia-based Comcast Corporation, owner of NBCUniversal and one of the biggest spenders in lobbying money in Washington, has given $206,056 to Mr. Obama and $20,500 to Mr. Romney.

No surprises there. For whatever various reasons, the mainstream news industry and the entertainment industry have long skewed left, going particularly gangbusters for their darling Obama in 2008. Liberals never seem to tire of complaining about how powerful outside groups have undue influence over our political system, but the media narrative is a pretty darn powerful chess piece — and there’s no doubt about which way most of the mainstream media community swings. As Jake Tapper lamented earlier this week,

Tapper also said he relates to Mark Halperin’s recent comments about the media. Over the weekend, Halperin said, ”I think the press still likes this story a lot, the media is very susceptible to doing what the Obama campaign wants, which is to focus on this.”

“I have said before… [that I] thought the media helped tip the scales. I didn’t think the coverage in 2008 was especially fair to either Hilary Clinton or John McCain,” Tapper said.

On the 2008 coverage, he noted, “Sometimes I saw with story selection, magazine covers, photos picked, [the] campaign narrative, that it wasn’t always the fairest coverage.”

Comments

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Ewwww!

KS Rex on August 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM

in other news water is wet….

hey newsies we’re coming for you fast or slow but we will be fixing your over the top bias by any peaceful means necessary

harlekwin15 on August 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Inconceivable!

hawkeye54 on August 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

the safe word is “missouri”. now lets go…

JamesSeanMcKeane on August 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

b-b-b-but Koch Brothers!!

Do you hear me: KOCH BROTHERS!!!!

Punch Rockgroin on August 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

… hope margarine is OK …

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The media is unexpectedly in the tank for Obama.

Wino on August 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

I’m your Huckleberry.

CDeb on August 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses.

– Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

OhEssYouCowboys on August 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Biscuit.

I understand NBC had an extra $500,000 to toss around.

Jabberwock on August 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Today’s guest blogger is Foghorn Leghorn. I lol’ed.

Meric1837 on August 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM

What was this blog about anyway? I never got past the first sentence!

Deano1952 on August 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM

the safe word is “missouri”. now lets go…

JamesSeanMcKeane on August 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

lol — “missouri” — ???

Over the weekend, Halperin said, ”I think the press still likes this story a lot, the media is very susceptible to doing what the Obama campaign wants, which is to focus on this.”

On ABC, after I clicked on the TV and before I clicked it to Kitchen Nightmares — Chef Ramsey saves failing restaurants with fresh ingredients and passion — I saw the wrap up of a segment that showed how the Republicans could take away a woman’s right to choose, complete with graphics (a true “segment”), and a brief reporter-talking-to-me-from-a-lawn wrap that told me they would still need to put a justice on the court, which is possible since of them are old and, apparently, dangerously close to death.

That was the news.

Chef Ramsey was successful.

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Erika/Ed/MKH – please google Adam Kinzinger knife attack.

Seems like a story worth revisiting. If the words of one US congressman can be used to define a whole party, then maybe the heroic actions of one should be too.

I sent a note to Ace as well. I don’t know why we wouldn’t state that the republican party is apparently the one that saves women from knife wielding attackers.

stldave on August 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Here’s a link. There are video news reports out there too.

stldave on August 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

*three of them

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Your place or mine? ;-)

TXUS on August 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM

…And that before their never-ending knob-jobbing of Hussein Ogabe and his talking points is counted as in-kind donation.

Archivarix on August 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM

How do newspapers stay in business? The Houston Comical has an inflated circulation of 365k weekly and 588k Sunday in a metro market of 6 million people. It is a Hearst paper that is painful to read and goes the extra mile to insult anyone not on the left in its editorials and news article which are basically identical.

Most of the reporters they have are under 30 now and must have been told to write to an 8th grade level. Who is propping up these enterprises?

DanMan on August 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I worry for Jake Tapper sometimes. He seems to earnestly want to practice actual journalism and that’s largely forbidden at ABC.

Bitter Clinger on August 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM

the mainstream news industry and the entertainment industry

Still think separating these (now) is propagating an illusion, treating a memory or an echo as though it was still the real thing.

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

*were. damn. slow down.

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

If they have to be told to write at an 8th grade level, its because most can only write at 5th grade level coming out of school.

hawkeye54 on August 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

OT: Candidate for the weirdest story of all time, “Lab tech parties with escaped monkeys, University employee found with pants down, monkeys roaming free

faraway on August 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Any post that starts off like this is a must read!

crazy_legs on August 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

And what did you do about it …JAKE???

winston on August 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Shocked, I tell you! I am just shocked!

pilamaye on August 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

How do newspapers stay in business?

Selling ads. It ain’t on sales and subscriptions at all.

hawkeye54 on August 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Hey, biscuit.

What now?

faraway on August 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM

That was the news.

Chef Ramsey was successful.

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

LOL! That’s too funny.
(PS–Marco Pierre White is a waaay better chef.)

RedCrow on August 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Maybe a dem delegate warming up for the fun and frolicking he’s expecting at the convention.

hawkeye54 on August 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Remember this when they talk about Citizens United. It isn’t about “fairness” or “access” or “a voice,” it’s about controlling what the public gets to hear.

TallDave on August 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Hey, biscuit.

What now?

Some honey to go with the butter?

hawkeye54 on August 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

This is horrible news for our Leftist Hot Gas trolls who like to post the “poll results”, because now we can just tell them that those “polls” are being conducted by O’bama Donors.

Del Dolemonte on August 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The Fifth Column Treasonous Media is in the tank for Obama… Color me shocked.

Nanzi Pelosi, aka “The Wicked Witch of the West” infamously told us, “You have to pass Obamacare to find out what’s in it” Guess what, we just found out what is in it. And it’s no effing wonder she refused to tell anyone what was in it before passing it. Can we now introduce The Wicked Witch of the West to streetlamps and Stout Hemp Rope?

Obama, the man really pushing Grandma off a cliff.

SWalker on August 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Ha ha! Love the way you write E!

Re: Tapper’s laments… Oh, boo hoo.

Mr_Magoo on August 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I might also point out that ALL of these corporations have suffered MAJOR losses, particularly over the last decade, much of the reason for these losses being a direct result of failing to compete with, or effectively incorporate, NEW MEDIA.

These corporations have consistently, particularly over the last decade, put hiring youth over experience. The reasoning was that younger professionals would better understand younger audiences, and it was posited that this would result in higher revenues based on the notion that younger audiences would spend the most on the products offered. It was also predicated on this particular industries notion that it ‘informs’ the culture through its products. This has proven to be a miscalculation of catastrophic proportions.

A decent business model seeks to appeal to the broadest possible market to maximize profit. These corporations have failed in this basic and primary goal of business precisely because they tailored the product specifically for a younger, less sophisticated, less cultivated, market and sought to influence the culture, including the politics, of this nation. In result, they lost the rest of their potential market base. Profits were marginalized.

thatsafactjack on August 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Obama, the man really pushing Grandma off a cliff.

SWalker on August 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

That’s a good catch on the re-admission “penalty”. And, this stuff is going to get much worse. Remember how the 2000-page monstrosity is filled with, “The Secretary (HHS) shall…”? I think there’re hundreds of occurrences of that phrase or others like it.

What kind of “law-making” is that? And, how can a nation thrive when the law is so ambiguous?

RedCrow on August 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I know a little about NewsCorp.

It is the most right wing media organization out there including yes, Salem.

It is also a smart operator and will donate strategically.

So less heavy breathing on them at least.

CorporatePiggy on August 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

The thing one needs to understand about big corporate media and leftism is that it is a marriage of convenience. Media is really not an army of Olbermans. Indeed the Olbermans, Maddows, and Sorkins are really not representative of anything other than themselves. They just get all the attention.

You know how many people it takes to keep a combat plane in the air?

CorporatePiggy on August 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

thatsafactjack on August 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM

If your summary of their strategy is correct (and I don’t have any reason to doubt it), then they were complete fools.

Twenty-somethings don’t tend to have a lot of disposable income. And, as far as “changing the culture”, the young “targets” hardly pay any attention, and older folks don’t listen to whippersnappers.

So, they’re fools!
(PS–Hi Jackie!)

RedCrow on August 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Chef Ramsey was successful.

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Whenever I work from home (like today) I have Chef Ramsey and Fox News bouncing back and forth in the background.

Chef Ramsey would have a word or two about the crap sandwiches the WH dishes out to us every day. We need a menu change and a new staff (including the boss).

freedomfirst on August 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Shocker: Donations from media companies go largely to Obama

…Media?…What Media?
People are always concerned about the Church & State all the time…do you think our forefathers saw that a “Free Press” would change from an institution of having a bias… to down right activism?

KOOLAID2 on August 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Captain Renault would approve.

kim roy on August 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM

It seems that DEMOCRAT OPERATIVES MAY BE TRYING TO USURP RNC CONVENTION messaging, by staging false flag events. I think it may be time for GOP to review “Infiltrator” handling techniques.

Mutnodjmet on August 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM

“Fair” is what liberals say it is.

GarandFan on August 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

“Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!”

Now the flavor says butter even better…

Seven Percent Solution on August 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Down, lorien. Down boy.

mwdiver on August 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

I’d love to Bisquit!!!

Really – do you seriously expect any of the guys on this site to be able to read or think about anything beyond that opening line?

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

lol, Well Erika did you like the reaction you got to that?

I forgot what the topic was.

arnold ziffel on August 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Most media, you fools, what you eat is Obama’s sh*t, not Beluga caviar.

Schadenfreude on August 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Down, lorien. Down boy.

mwdiver on August 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Heh. Leaps into the room wearing an apron, holding a spatula. :)

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Heh. Leaps into the room wearing an apron, holding a spatula. :)

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I prefer to do this buttering job by hand….

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Note to Erika -

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

While the comments expressed on H/T are of varying intelligence, the maturity/hormone level is that of a 14 yr old boy. Please be a bit more reserved in your posts, as the level of asinine responses to your opening line is just too much….

Maybe H/T contributors need a little refresher from HR on posting codes of conduct….

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I prefer to do this buttering job by hand….

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Lorien carries equipment and a small team of specialists for unexpected problems. :) lol — K, enough of that, me.

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Let me guess, you like hot tar on your butt better.

arnold ziffel on August 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Really? With a name like powerpickle?

Unlike dailykos and huffpo – a lot of us here are not gay….
And we’re not all so serious that we actually like to have a little fun and humor in the threads when the door is opened.

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

This is not a school.

It’s an open house, not ours. We visit. If we don’t like it, we can freely leave, instead of ranting on the hosts.

Schadenfreude on August 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Butt there is no media bias. Of course.

I will not think of Erica and butter.
I will not think of Erica and butter.
I will not think of Erica and butter…

locomotivebreath1901 on August 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Let me guess, you like hot tar on your butt better.

arnold ziffel on August 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, of course….

kim roy on August 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Really? With a name like powerpickle?

Unlike dailykos and huffpo – a lot of us here are not gay….

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM

That comment proves my point unequivocally….thanks guy!

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM

That comment proves my point unequivocally….thanks guy!

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Let me guess – you’re either gay or so old nothing works and you can’t handle that subject any more…

Seriously, you pick a name like powerpickle and then try to lecture people about what we say and inappropriate innuendos? You might as well have named yourself purple sword, shaft, or meat missile.
As Schadenfreude said, you can choose to leave any time you want if you can’t handle the conversation.

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You might as well have named yourself purple sword, shaft, or meat missile.

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM

While I think that other poster is a bit uptight, and should have probably just saved his/her two cents, maybe hurling homosexual epithets in response is going a bit too far?

Dunno. Just call him/her a humorless prude and be done with it.

RedCrow on August 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Dunno. Just call him/her a humorless prude and be done with it.

RedCrow on August 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I provided more than one possibility…. but humorless prude is a good description.
But my main point is if someone chooses a screen name like that, he really has no moral high ground to lecture anyone about innuendo or humor or “dirty talk”.

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Oh will you lighten up. In her defense if it was Howard or Ed I’d still be down. Mr. McKeane is fond of both gentlemen and ladies. I swear it won’t get weird…

JamesSeanMcKeane on August 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

JamesSeanMcKeane on August 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

OH Yeah NSFW NSFW

JamesSeanMcKeane on August 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM

JamesSeanMcKeane on August 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

All right. But if AP demands a buttering, someone else is going to have to do it.

Axe on August 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Lighten up Francis

mwdiver on August 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Let’s try this again.

Lighten up Francis

mwdiver on August 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Hahahaha….as Freud once said, “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar…”

The handle is actually from a very benign source, but I’ll let you dolts try to figure that out because your small minds can only seem to grasp at phallic conclusions….

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

faraway on August 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Have we stumbled upon the origins of Alan Grayson?

slickwillie2001 on August 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Whatever you think it means, you’re still a humorless prude – as RedCrow so eloquently stated.

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Sleeper Cell activated?

Del Dolemonte on August 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM

dentarthurdent on August 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Wow…good comeback…that makes your grade level, what, fifth grade?? Quick, call the whaaaaaambulence, I’m hurting some feelings here on HotGas…..

Or, as Romney said the other day, bless your little heart…..

powerpickle on August 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Sleeper Cell activated?

Del Dolemonte on August 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM

One of angryed’s backup usernames, maybe?

MelonCollie on August 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I’m far from a humorless prude, but I was getting tired of the same joke being done to death by – let me count – 4 brazillion posters. I mean, had the jokes been original and not merely repeats, I could handle it (and might have participated), but how many “I’ll butter your butt” comments and minor variations are really necessary? I think it got old almost immediately. By the time Powerpickle posted, I had already started skipping over any post that appeared to refer to the introductory sentence.

I don’t care where the nick “powerpickle” originated, I agree that someone with that moniker should not be lecturing others concerning the appropriateness of sexual innuendos. You will rarely see me mention someone’s use of alcohol in a derogatory manner, unless that someone happens to be driving a car in some unnamed area near the Dike Bridge on the Chappaquiddick River.

The only thing I hate worse than the above is some stranger trying to tell a bunch of other people how and what they should post on threads that have obviously-easy humor targets in their title or introduction.

Sincerely,
Some stranger who just told you what you should post

Wino on August 24, 2012 at 1:59 AM