Anderson Cooper grills Debbie Wasserman-Schultz: Why are you lying about Romney’s position on abortion?

posted at 10:13 pm on August 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

Between this and Wolf Blitzer doggedly reminding her that Paul Ryan’s Medicare plan would not, in fact, target senior citizens, it’s been a tough couple of weeks on CNN for America’s most lifelike talking-points robot. I wonder why they’ve decided to go after her lately. Has her droning, mechanical spin begun to annoy even otherwise sympathetic media? Or is this a pure ratings thing, with CNN producers realizing that rhetorical bloodsport with DWS is a surefire winner with conservative audiences?

Simple stuff here. The GOP adopted the same abortion language in its platform this year, with no specific exceptions for rape or incest, as it did in 2008 and 2004. Romney’s on record repeatedly as saying that he favors exceptions for rape and incest in prospective abortion bans. DWS’s spin: Because Romney’s the nominee and his people kinda sorta get to write the platform — which isn’t binding on him or anyone else — we should ignore his stated position and pretend like he’s no different from Todd Akin. And if that means occasionally bowdlerizing a quote in a newspaper for DNC fundraising e-mails, hey, politics ain’t beanbag. You’re now prepared for seven minutes of mind-paralyzing spin. Go get ‘em, Roboto.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

So is she wearing a poodle on her head to draw attention to Seamus riding on top of the hood of a car?

dirtseller on August 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Tracking:
Isaac
******

canopfor on August 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

KCB on August 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I lied, I went back to the 4:18 mark, she said and I think you would agree Blah blah blah you can’t separate him from his party’s platform. A little emphasis on you, but….

KCB on August 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

But even so, we’ve got Robert Duvall so screw them!

Gingotts on August 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Better yet, we’ve got Chuck Norris so screw ‘em!

kakypat on August 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Don’t forget Clint Eastwood.

Dark Star on August 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

And Bruce Willis. And Arnold Schwarzenegger.

John the Libertarian on August 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

The views are different: One guy likes to suck the brains out of unborn babies, the other thinks it’s wrong.

Wagthatdog on August 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM

And, why is it that those female infants that survive abortion, partial birth abortion candidates, don’t have the same rights to control their bodies as their murder-intent mothers do?

socalcon on August 23, 2012 at 10:51 PM

She got the best of Cooper here. Her goal was to repeat her point over and over. She was able to do just that. Low info voters hear Romney wants to ban abortion. True or not she has that message heard. All that needs to be done is have that message heard. She won this round, not with us, but with them.

Bmore on August 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I thought so, too. He wanted to talk about a fundraising email, and someone just kept on pulling the string on her back and she just kept repeating their talking point.

changer1701 on August 23, 2012 at 10:51 PM

And Bruce Willis. And Arnold Schwarzenegger.

John the Libertarian on August 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

And Jon Voight.

JPeterman on August 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Tropical Storm ISAAC

canopfor on August 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Evidently DWS knows so much more than me…Silly me, thinking we had to have a convention to nominate our nominee so that he can write the platform. She just told millions of viewers that Romney IS the nominee and IS already in charge of writing the platform, therefore responsible for it, right?
Cancel Tampa – DWS has spoken.

DublOh7 on August 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

And Jon Voight.

JPeterman on August 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

And Gary Sinese.

PatriotGal2257 on August 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Well, hey…I do kinda like that her hair doesn’t look like it’s been greased to her skull this time.

flipflop on August 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM

When you think about it, for all their “war on women” crap the liberals are actually the sexist offensive ones. They don’t give women an ounce of credit that we can do things on our own without government’s help.

Dang I wish someone in the media had the cajones to point that out.

gophergirl on August 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM

That’s true for all the “little people” the libs claim they want to help.

Reality is that they are the ones the libs exploit for personal gain.

As for the media. Most of them are cowards, unwilling to risk the stigma of being the little boy telling the emperor he has no clothes.

Jvette on August 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Romney/ Anderson 2012?

aebloo on August 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Bmore on August 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Yes, I agree with you. It is more important to her to reinforce her message, which she did, than care about looking like a lyin’ tool. She doesn’t care about that. It’s her job to exploit the Akin factor.

a capella on August 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

So what if I lied, she explained.

tommer74 on August 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM

So this is what happens when Anderson Cooper’s boyfriend cheats on him?

SouthernGent on August 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM

What the hell is that on her head?

jan3 on August 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

And Gary Sinese.

PatriotGal2257 on August 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM

And James Caan and Dennis Hopper(RIP)

The Notorious G.O.P on August 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

And Gary Sinese.

PatriotGal2257 on August 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM

And Kelsey Grammar!

Whose show, Boss, looks pretty awesome.

John the Libertarian on August 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

What the hell is that on her head?

jan3 on August 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Snakes…

Electrongod on August 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM

And Todd Palin.

Rusty Allen on August 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Heading NW enough to hit refineries?

Wouldn’t that be awesome…./

wolly4321 on August 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

And Paul “Look At These Guns” Ryan.

John the Libertarian on August 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

ok, I made it through 6+mins of that. Debbie is trying to keep low information voters heads stuck in their uterii and Anderson isn’t buying it. She apparently misquoted the LA times and won’t fess up for it. She also tries to paper over his questions regarding her misrepresentation of both Romney’s position and the LA Times quote by using “the bottom line is …._____talking point talking point talking point_____…. wash rinse spit repeat.”

ted c on August 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Report: Plans underway for Romney to be nominated at Republican National Convention on Monday due to Isaac storm threat – @nytimes

8 mins ago

canopfor on August 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

It’s not just because of the potential storm.

Some supporters of Mr. Paul were pushing to make their voices heard during the roll call vote. Mr. Paul, the libertarian Texas congressman whose presidential bid fell short, won a majority of delegates from Iowa, Minnesota and Nevada, but not enough state delegations to require that his name be placed into nomination.

While Mr. Paul’s advisers have worked behind-the-scenes with the Romney campaign for months, several supporters have signaled their interest in making their admiration known for Mr. Paul on the convention floor. The Romney campaign has worked through most of the concerns, but leaned toward officially calling the roll of delegates on Monday, when television networks were not planning to broadcast the convention to diminish the potential for any fireworks.

Republican officials said that schedule of the roll call vote could resolve two potential problems: from Mr. Paul’s supporters and the winds and rain of Isaac.

Flora Duh on August 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Wow, so Cooper and Wolf both see that CNN is going to be forced to downsize soon and are trying to show Fox that they would be replacements should that network choose to axe Shep or someone else who may be on shaky ground. Opportunistic but unfortunately for them I don’t think Fox is limited to just watching a single spot these two may send in for their application.

Betenoire on August 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM

changer1701 on August 23, 2012 at 10:51 PM

You really think that after being caught red handed in a blatant lie, people will believe what she said. And she did acknowledge that Romney’s position on abortion allow abortion on rape, incest and woman’s life. She just keep saying that Romney should put his position over the committee drafting the platform, but did not, so he is extreme. That is a little bit of a stretch.

bayview on August 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM

And Bruce Willis. And Arnold Schwarzenegger.

John the Libertarian on August 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Please! Enough with the Arnie crap. I survived his tenure in CA. Conservative is not what we call him now…

ccrosby on August 23, 2012 at 11:01 PM

John the Libertarian on August 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Steven Baldwin
Sylvester Stallone
Tom Selleck

JPeterman on August 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Flora Duh on August 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Would also be a good excuse to cancel the Huckster’s speaking slot.

slickwillie2001 on August 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Flora Duh on August 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Flora, I’ve been on and am still on holiday, so I haven’t been around much. I pressume you were able to deliver the messages to JPeterman okay. Just checking. ; )

Bmore on August 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Hardly Allah! How many conservatives watch CNN?

Nah, they’re just having fun with the dumb blonde who can’t help but put her foot in her mouth. They “help” because someone has to explain the joke to the dumb Democratic viewers.

GarandFan on August 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Flora Duh on August 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Flora Duh:

Yup,it might be a Pre-Emptive,cause no waves to Boink up this
Convention Strike!

And,look what I just found,WOW,now I’m waiting for a
hhahahahhahahahahahhahha,*catch ones breathe*,oh man,

an Hopey Op-Ed:)
=================

OPINION
Updated August 23, 2012, 9:09 p.m. ET

Mitt Romney: What I Learned at Bain Capital
*******************************************

By MITT ROMNEY
**************

My business experience taught me how to help companies grow—and what to do when trouble arises. When you see a problem, run toward it before the problem gets worse.(More…)

canopfor on August 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Oh my! Bad luck DWS! When you’ve lost the leftist hacks on the Communist News Network…

Benedict Nelson on August 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM

dirtseller on August 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

The plan of Barry/Axelrod to disrupt the RNC convention is to tie Debbie Washerwoman on top of a station wagon. And drive the car around the convention center to remind people of Romney/Seamus episode.

bayview on August 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM

What the hell is that on her head?

jan3 on August 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Jim Traficant’s ferret with a perm.

Deanna on August 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM

And Kelsey Grammar

AmericanPatriot70 on August 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Hardly Allah! How many conservatives watch CNN?

GarandFan on August 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Who cares why? There are enough Moron voters (Rush today. you should listen if you get the chance) out there that watch it who may, just may, say to themselves “what a dumba**”

One voter at a time, that is all I ask.

ccrosby on August 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Betenoire on August 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I hate to say this but I would watch Wolf before I would watch Shepard Smith. I’d have no problem with Fox getting rid of Mr. Eyeliner.

Deanna on August 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Poodle…you’re toast…

Or maybe not…

Electrongod on August 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

…I think she got that Poodle look so Barky would keep her on…as a snack…later!

KOOLAID2 on August 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

“On the good ship Lolly-pop……”

She’s using less mayonnaise in her hair.

Marcus on August 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Best laugh I’ve had all day, thanks for that

deuce on August 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I haven’t seen stuttering that hard since the last time a “friend” of mine put sugar in the family car gas tank :)

Looks like we have another contender for the Stuttering Clustfark of a Miserable Failure (SCOAMF).

rgrovr on August 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM

If only DWS’s mother had had an abortion. . .

COgirl on August 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Holy #%&*! Now I’m dizzy… DWS needs to go find the Wizzard and get a brain.

BadBrad on August 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Reince is perfect for our side. He is able to take on an often unfriendly press, deflect distractions smoothly, and focuses back on the point at hand. He can both deliver the punchy sound bite or get into the weeds a little bit, all depending on what the situation allows. We put a premium on adapting to unpredictable media situations and Priebus is up to that job.

DWS is perfect for their side too. This situation doesn’t require any level of depth or adaptability. All they require is someone to hammer the same talking point relentlessly, regardless of what anybody around then is saying. Debbie never disappoints there either. Once they installed the 2.0 upgrade that fixed that pesky inappropriate use of literally bug, she’s been a very reliable machine.

stldave on August 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Steven Baldwin
Sylvester Stallone
Tom Selleck

JPeterman on August 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Bo Derek
Heather Locklear
Angie Harmon

I win.

OneFreeMan on August 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Deanna on August 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I’ll watch the fireplace channel in August over Shemp.

slickwillie2001 on August 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Shep Smith (here Shep, here boy!) … has rocketed past Geraldo on my punch-o-meter.

OneFreeMan on August 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM

stldave on August 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I agree, I think Reince has done an amazing job with what he was left by Steele.

I think he was instrumental in Walker’s & Kleefisch’s win in the recall, and in many key races in the country during the primaries.

He’s quick on his feet, obviously cares and belives what he’s saying, and the RNC is back in the black.

ccrosby on August 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM

OneFreeMan on August 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Shep has become so annoying that I cannot watch him anymore. But I do like his sidekick, Jonathan Hunt, he seems a tad more circumspect than Smith (and funnier).

The way Shep ends his show is ridiculous: “From the Journalists at Fox News…” Really? I hear his opinion constantly during his performances.

I’d say he’s starting to believe his own press, but I’ve never really seen any press about him.

ccrosby on August 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Looks like Whatshername-shytz finally found a Chi iron. Not that it did her THAT much good.

Sekhmet on August 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM

canopfor on August 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

That’s actually really smart. That’s the night they aren’t showing on TV. Only junkies like to watch that.

gophergirl on August 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

They should nominate on Monday night anyway, hurricane or no hurricane. With that officially out of the way, Romney can start using his war chest 3 days earlier.

IamDA on August 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM

The MSM is starting to turn. Not all of them are prepared to continue to insult our intelligence and be stupid going down with the ship. This morning on SLOW JOE, Richard Stengel of TIME was very reasonable as he discussed how Mitt attacks problems.

Basilsbest on August 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

You may be right – a second recent data point is the al-reuters photo of Barky with his face obscured by the teleprompter. I never would have expected to see that photo from the MSM.

bofh on August 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Is she hosting a colony of sea anemones on her noggin or is she just Medusa to see me?

profitsbeard on August 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Basilsbest on August 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

bofh on August 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Agreed. Seems to me the MSM is pretty craven, cowardly and self-serving. Kind of like the townspeople in High Plains Drifter. The more it looks like Obama might lose, the less they will spin for him (at least overtly). They will certainly run away at the first sign of trouble.

HTL on August 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM

So this is what happens when Anderson Cooper’s boyfriend cheats on him?

SouthernGent on August 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Theworldisnotenough on August 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM

“Anderson, Anderson” [words in a condescending tone]

“Anderson” [shakes her head] [words in a condescending tone]

[repeat]

She just kept scolding him.

swellhotair on August 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM

It’s all in the lisp, with DWS.

jaimo on August 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Obama has to lose this election cycle if only to discredit this whole “hey let’s just keep making sh*t up” campaign tactic.

heretic on August 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Heather Locklear
Angie Harmon

I win.

OneFreeMan on August 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Yes you do.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM

And Johnny Ramone, ok I know he was not an actor but that one drives liberals nuts.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM

“I personally believe, that U.S. Republican Americans,
are unable to do abortion rape so,
because uh,
some, people out there, in our nation don’t have abortion maps.
and uh…
I believe that our abortion like such as in South Africa,
and the Iraq,
everywhere like such as…
and, I believe they should uh,
our educational abortions over here,
in the U.S. should help the U.S.
or should help South Africa abort,
and should help the Iraq and Asian countries abort so we will be able to build up our abortions future,
for us.”

Shaughnessy on August 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM

So is she wearing a poodle on her head …

dirtseller on August 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM

No it’s a french poodle.

Kjeil on August 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM

When I hear her I want to vomit! She is so disgusting! Mainly STUPID!

Bambi on August 24, 2012 at 12:56 AM

The jewish Sheila Jackson Lee.

drowningpuppies on August 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM

She is really annoying, and since I don’t like being annoyed, I don’t normally watch Fox or CNN or any of the other networks that insist on having these same bozos on all the time.

But, if wanted to be really annoyed I would watch Washerwoman.

claudius on August 24, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I can’t imagine that calling me to dinner. I would come secretly armed and count the kids every 2 hours.

pat on August 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Steven Baldwin

JPeterman on August 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Better, Adam Baldwin.

Jaaaaayyne! The man they call Jaaaaaaayne!

Sockpuppet Politic on August 24, 2012 at 1:38 AM

i finally get it: she wants the taylor dayne hair circa 1988. who doesn’t? you know anderson copper wishes he had taylor dayne hair.

but taylor dayne looks like the sexy lion of zion with a big closer to g– mane and little debbie looks like a sad accident with a poodle and a lawnmower.

mittens on August 24, 2012 at 1:52 AM

mittens on August 24, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Speaking of Taylor Dane, I heard this the other day. SOOOO funny.

The Notorious G.O.P on August 24, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Better, Adam Baldwin.

Jaaaaayyne! The man they call Jaaaaaaayne!

Sockpuppet Politic on August 24, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Major General James Stewart, United States Air Force

Yeah I know he’s dead, I don’t care. He’s one of the greatest men to ever come out of Hollywood and he is on our side even now.

Alberta_Patriot on August 24, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Speaking of Taylor Dane, I heard this the other day. SOOOO funny.

The Notorious G.O.P

that was pretty awesome- a comedian who doesn’t rely on being a hate filled foul mouthed dully ironic troll.

mittens on August 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Boy, Debbie the D****it and the other Democratic minions probably found Cooper a lot more fun when he was occupied with giggling like a fifth grader over the word “teabagging” rather than actually working as a reporter. I would expect a mass protest of “UNFAIR” from DWS and Company soon on that subject.

M. Scott Eiland on August 24, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Andy Garcia and Adam Sandler are Republicans.

Conservalicious on August 24, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Isn’t this going to ruin her Tampa (Soros-paid) vacation?

Don L on August 24, 2012 at 5:36 AM

“Anderson, Anderson” [words in a condescending tone]

“Anderson” [shakes her head] [words in a condescending tone]

[repeat]

She just kept scolding him.

swellhotair on August 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Bless her little vaccous heart!

Don L on August 24, 2012 at 5:40 AM

The woman has scrambled brains ……….. she contradicts herself and thinks nothing of it.

SC.Charlie on August 24, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Domo Arigato, Ms Roboto!

She walks! She talks! She spins for Obama! She’s almost human!

pilamaye on August 24, 2012 at 6:03 AM

I watched the video again and I think it’s special, the way Debbie Wasserman Test, is trying to grit her teeth and talk at the same time. May the good Lord bless her pea-picking heart.

bigmike on August 24, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Anderson Cooper – CNN’s best journalist – without question.

Has been for many years.

jake-the-goose on August 24, 2012 at 6:25 AM

DWS used a curling iron i see…

still an idiot

cmsinaz on August 24, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Girl talk. There are some things you can’t cover up with lipstick and powder, Ander…I mean, Debbie.

curved space on August 24, 2012 at 6:46 AM

May the good Lord bless her pea-picking heart.

Copy that, and seconded. ;)

curved space on August 24, 2012 at 6:47 AM

curved space on August 24, 2012 at 6:46 AM

heh…

cmsinaz on August 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM

ac doing the tingles move on DWS…she’s looking a little peeved…

love it

cmsinaz on August 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM

curved space on August 24, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Elvis? or Dave Edmunds?

massrighty on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM

I can not watch this woman.

Terrye on August 24, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Anderson Cooper – CNN’s best journalist – without question.

Has been for many years.

jake-the-goose on August 24, 2012 at 6:25 AM

So Anderson gets one in for the ‘objective’ column, but did he have to sound so damned apologetic? He should have used the terms ‘lying and liar’ every time she opened her pie hole. The only real bottom line was to mislead people and beg for more cash for future lies. Debbie is sounding surprised because she’s feeling betrayed by an ‘ally’ that she figured she could count on until the sun burns out. At least it made it onto the airwaves, although the viewership at CNN is tanking so badly that it’ll only serve to provide laughs to us political fans.

CitizenEgg on August 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Not watching the shrill angry Deathocrat head.

When her party stops rolling around in the blood of the unborn and happily taking that blood money from Planned Parenthood and others I’ll listen.

Just imagine…….the biggest supporters of this party are the ones being killed by their policies every day.

Check abortion numbers for the black community.

PappyD61 on August 24, 2012 at 7:25 AM

When someone says ugly things, it sure makes ‘em look uglier.

WordsMatter on August 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Elvis? or Dave Edmunds?

massrighty on August 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Either, but yeah, Elvis. Linda Ronstadt…noooooo. ;)

curved space on August 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM

What I don’t understand, is how a position that stands AGAINST the killing of unborn children is considered extreme. One would think that a position that allows for, and even supports tax payers paying for, the killing of unborn children even in the late term for any reason you can dream up would be classified as extreme.

We’ve allowed the liberals to drive the point that abortion should be the norm… and thereby allowing them to plant the seed that a stance against killing unborn children is an extremist one.

Passed on August 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM

heh…

cmsinaz on August 24, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Reluctant to associate the great tune with DWS, but, yeah, the crappy wrong-gendered Ronstadt version maybe. (It should only be sung by a guy.) That line fits DWS to a tee, mentally and philosophically speaking. ;)

curved space on August 24, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I loved the look on the whore’s face. She is clearly saying- for crying out loud this is CNN! Why are you asking me real questions?

It is despicable that this whore and her filthy party are fundraising on the killing of children.

Happy Nomad on August 24, 2012 at 8:08 AM

curved space on August 24, 2012 at 8:05 AM

cmsinaz on August 24, 2012 at 8:10 AM

So as governor, Mitt appointed a Planned Parenthood advocate to the RomneyCare health board.

right2bright on August 24, 2012 at 8:18 AM