Video: Noted party boss castigates Akin for not withdrawing

posted at 9:21 am on August 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Count Sarah Palin among the politely unimpressed with Todd Akin’s dedication to principle in his decision to stay in the race.  “Bless his heart,” Palin told Greta van Susteren (whose own displeasure is couched in less-generous tones), “but you have to know when to hold them and when to fold them.  Believe me, I’ve been there.”  After saying that she knows what Akin might have been trying to do in defending life, Palin emphasizes that the Senate election in Missouri is bigger than one person.  And if Akin won’t get out, Republicans have to find another way to beat Claire McCaskill — by running Palin’s original endorsee in the race as a third party [see update]:

In any other context, having Palin urge a third-party run for a Senate seat would have been the ultimate slap against the GOP establishment. Now, it might be their only option left, unless groups like the NRSC and American Crossroads are willing to eat crow and place some ads in Missouri backing Akin. It depends on the polling, but it’s hard to imagine someone with Akin’s current negatives remaining competitive for long. In October, McCaskill’s campaign is going to start running ads with the video of Akin attempting to claim that “legitimate” rape victims have super-uteri that can resist rapist sperm or something, and the race will end up looking something like Alan Keyes’ competitiveness against Barack Obama in 2004 — unless Missouri voters have another option.

So, has anyone looked up the rules on independent Senate bids in Missouri? I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s already a matter of considerable research on the Right.

Update: Allahpundit shot me a link to Jim Geraghty last night, who did do the research on third-party bids. The good news? Republicans can get another name on the ballot. The bad news? Missouri has a sore-loser law that disqualifies Steelman and John Brunner. They can put Jim Talent, John Ashcroft, and pretty much anyone else on the ballot they wish — except anyone who was on the primary ballot. Palin actually says in the interview that the GOP needs to run someone like Steelman as an independent, not Steelman herself, which commenters have pointed out to me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

This isn’t about principles, this is about saving Religious liberty and try to save whatever human life we can.

Bluray on August 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM

What is Liberty but the first political principle? The U.S. Constitution is built on principles (please familiarize yourself with them; there are 6), and if this election is a fight for our constitution, then this fight is about principles.

Show some integrity. Support Todd Akin, a man of principles.

TXJenny on August 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM

501

Bmore on August 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

No. What I am saying is that nature abhors a vacuum. Society will never be completely secular. That can only happen in countries where religion is outlawed like it was in the Soviet Union or is like in North Korea.

i see what you say but no one want to outlaw religion…

I don’t have a problem with the free exercise of religion or for the acknowledgement of the role that it has played in the building of society.

ok, i can agree with that…

Because I don’t want more secularism. My atheism is a personal thing. My demand that the government enforce secularism would be no better than the religious demanding that their beliefs be enforced.

my goal in secularism is not to make people atheist too. my goal is to remove the religious aspects of religions that make communal life of a multi religious(and irreligious) society impossible. I care about sociaty, not atheism…

There is no guaranteed right of freedom FROM religion. It is part of the overwhelming majority of people’s lives in America and we are in the minority. The fact that “In God We Trust” is on the currency is of no consequence to me. Only those looking for a fight and an opportunity to impose their beliefs or lack thereof are bothered by them.

I was arguing that freedom of religion gives in practice freedom from religion. the “on god we trust” only slightly bothers me, its very easy to ignore.

such as, no religious schools(or at least heavily regulated ones so that hate cannot be teached in them), no certain types of religious attire(burkas), no hiding of hate speech behind religious freedom.

So, I should support the destruction of the First Amendment? I don’t think so.

Religious schools do not bother me…in the least.

i disturbs me, that some religious schools(thinking on madrassas), can teach other kids to hate my kids. Its hard to accept this!

No one should be forced to wear any kind of religious attire. The operative word being “forced.” I have no desire and, in fact, find it quite troubling that you would suggest that we ban religious attire. That totalitarian temptation is strong within you.

I had europe in mind because you started with the UK! but hey , read this article:

Who gets to define “hate”? The Southern Poverty Law Centre, which has labeled Malik Zulu Shabazz of the New Black Panther Party a “right-wing extremist” along with the FRC?

good point. its a dangerous definition, but other parent teaching their kids that our kids are subhuman deserves that we do not run away from trying to define hate and make some laws.

Stronger secularism? In Europe? LOL! It was precisely the death of Christianity and the rise of secularism in Europe that prepared the way for Islamism. The Islamism isn’t really being imported, as the most fervent adherents are first and second generation immigrants. Further, because of a lack of any spiritualism, Islamism has found tapped into a reservoir of Europeans of Anglo-Saxon descent looking for – to be trite – “meaning in their lives.” The Home Office has estimated that approximately 200,000 native Brits are converting to Islam every year.

that means 1.000.000 native brits converted to islam last 5 years! i don’t believe it. sources!

It is not about fighting religious extremism with more religion. My point is that you will never have a secular society. Christians and Jews may willingly abandon their faiths in droves, but Islam is not on the downswing and is converting more and more and, as such, its followers are setting the table of appropriate items for discussion.

hey, check this site and this forum:
and these are the just the secular ex muslims. evangelicals also manage to convert many muslims in western societies.
muslims are humans like us, have faith in humanity.

Christians and Jews have been rendered nearly irrelevant in European society, especially by the Left, which is not pro-Islamist. The Left is slowly waking up to the fact that, while they share Islamists’ hatred of Israel, the US, Jews/Christians, etc., they don’t exactly like being associated with homophobes and misogynists. It’s not Christians and Jews beating gays in Amsterdam. It’s not Christians and Jews demanding laws that call for the imprisonment of anyone, who says anything about Islam, including the TRUTH. Yes, you can now go to jail in Europe for speaking out against FGM.

The many in Europe, especially the Left, that pushed for a secular society have lost the moral high ground.

Resist We Much on August 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM

yep, the left is changing, and its about time!

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Turkey is quickly moving away from Anaturk’s secularism and towards Islamism and has been for several years. Anyone, who has done the slightest research on the subject, is aware of this fact.

Resist We Much on August 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM

i cant deny it. but i question the rate of islamization and the ability of secular pushbacks if the islamization goes too far.

there were several islamic societies that become secular by themselves before(tunisia, egypt,syria iraq and turkey). they can do it again. islam is not all powerful in shaping the society.
muslims are also not stupid and can see how extreme islam destroyed countries like Afghanistan and somalia and this helps to steer many muslims from the more extremes forms of their religion.

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Run Palin Run!!!!

mockmook on August 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM

More like party mascot.

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Does large majority = 92%?

cptacek on August 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Christianity is at 76% in the US. and many christians barely care about their faith.

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Hmmmm, I hope Christians wouldn’t have rituals purely for the effect of annoying others. I guess it is possible but the only ones that come to mind is the Westboro “Baptist” Church. While I will never say who is or isn’t a Christian, I have some serious doubts about their Biblical interpretation and can without hesitation condemn their brand of evangelizing.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM

those christians annoy other christians! lol!

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM

More like I’m the party mascot. 

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM

LOL

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Noted party boss? You betcha!

See, she was right again. And, she did not make any mistakes in her interview with Greta last night. Everyone wants to parse her words. OK, but then parse them correctly.

Mirimichi on August 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Rush sometimes gets ” seminar callers ” on his phone lines. Hot Air seems to get trolls whose object seems to be to kill the enthusiasm in a thread. they seem to be rotated from time to time. nathor NO (W) rath?

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

So you all understood her? I didn’t. Her wording has become more jumbled and she all over the place.

Redford on August 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM

(Sic). Priceless. PDS lib GOPers in full regalia are hilarious. As is this:

Give me a break….when she said “like Steelman”, she meant Steelman herself,and anyone who is being intellectually honest knows it”

xblade on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

xblade on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

LOL…the same brilliant squish contingent that wants to tell us that RomneyCare is by no means the same as ObamaCare can’t seem to comprehend the meaning of phrases like “like Steelman”.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Oooops, try again…bad browser…

Redford on August 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM

(Sic). Priceless. PDS lib GOPers in full regalia are hilarious. As is this:

xblade on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Sometimes I have a little game I play when reading the postings on a Palin topic.

As I speedread through the content I think of a listing of common trolls and try to guess which one posted it. When I get to the end, I find it is always one
who posts the same ole dumbass comments over and over.

Other times I scroll rapidly through the postings looking only for
the moniker of the poster. If it is an idiot troll I do not even
bother reading it.

Either way it annoys me that these dumba$$es are allowed to continue to post nonsense. They get in the way of some serious
content that I would enjoy reading.

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Show some integrity. Support Todd Akin, a man of principles.

TXJenny on August 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Do not support Todd Akin, a man of self serving principles.

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

You make a pretty weak case when you claim that republicans like me supporting our nominee makes us RINOs, but when Palin does it, she’s loyal.

I love Sarah Palin; she’s like my favorite person.

Rusty Allen on August 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Palin realizes Romney’s yet another shit sandwich served up by you squishes and that most people are going to have to struggle to get it down. You and the other brilliant disciples of Mr Electable Inevitable have this habit of mistaking shit sandwiches for haute cuisine. Anyway, I consider Palin a conservative, not a Republican. That’s the label for nice progs like Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins and Arlen Specter and the like.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Redford on August 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM

She thinks it makes her sound smart by cramming as many buzzwords as humanly possible into a sentence. What a relief she’s more interested in whoring out her family on reality TV.

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Well, Rush has an advantage he can opine and hang up:-) We, here at HA can’t. We had two open registrations that brought in a lot of Obots/Trolls. I think they work in shifts:-)

I read a lot of nathor’s comments and never did find out what exactly he wanted. Other than he’s not pleased with the Constitution or the First Amendment. Well, when in Rome, do as Rome does. If not, the exit is always open.

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Well, as long as “indexing the minimum wage to inflation” isn’t among them, she’s light years ahead of Mighty Mitt.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I assure you that the WBC is not Christian. And I have no doubts about their heretical interpretation of the Bible.

They are scum.

davidk on August 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Hey Sparky..:)

“Politics is down stream of popular culture…”

-—Breitbart

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Well we’ve had Palin-obsessed freaks here like Bradky and You-Eh-Vee and xblade for quite a while though. I think a lot of them spend most of their time up Ace’s ass and show up here whenver Palin’s face appears on a thread.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Well I can only speak for myself but my conversation with nathor was polite and informative. Granted we didn’t agree but that’s okay with me.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I hate to rain on the trolls, may the good lord bless their pea-picking hearts, but it looks like there is a grassroots push building in Mo, to switch the candidate who was running for Akin’s house seat, which was being vacated by Akin, with Akin’s spot on the Senate ticket. Ann Wagner, former Ambassador. Twitter is going nuts about it.

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Yeah, light years.

A reality TV star who pulled the rug out from you poor saps and still pretends to hold power in the presidential race.

What a star.

Re-read some of your comments from this thread. I know it was a tearful time for you guys, but it serves as a hilarious time capsule for the rest of us sane folk.

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Good way to avoid the many troll or hate comments:-) I agree tho, it does interrupt serious discussion.

I scan some of the comment, check the poster and most of the time, oh yeah that figures, LOL

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Hey Cindy Munford, The objective of this particular type of troll seems to be to kill the thread by shitting on it, but not so drastically as to be banned. IMHO.

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Show some integrity. Support Todd Akin, a man of principles.

TXJenny on August 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Akin is a selfish narcissis as much as Obama. Only Akin is a conservative.

He needs to put country ahead of self.

There’s an Achin in the camp. People of the Word will understand that.

davidk on August 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Yeah, light years.

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Absolutely. A “relaty TV star” who has some common sense — and who doesn’t have some boondoggle of a massive state health care program bearing her name — is pretty much light-years ahead of some Dem Lite buyout specialist who has his little squishy claque convinced he can somehow win a presidential race.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM

* “reality”

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I see Sarah Palin continues to live in your itty bitty head..:)

Would you like to comment on her elementary school years?

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM

LOL I’m sure you remember what it was like before Palin decided not to run…Yikes!! I remarked earlier that some must have an App that monitors HA, so when a Palin thread is up, here they come:-)

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Paul Ryan is coming up on Mark Levin radio after the news at 7PM EST.

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM

You-Eh-Vee on August 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Some of MY comments, or (using your tortured syntax) are you using a generic “your”? You didn’t highlight any of MY comments. Anyway, I’ll have plenty to look back on following yet another squish defeat at the hands of a Democrat after November 6.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM

As a late night veteran of the QOTD, I would be hypocritical saying anything about taking a thread away from it original topic. Besides, it’s not hard to get it back on track.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Oh, most of them still do. Most of them are essentially libs anyway. Being pretty hollow themselves and following a Hollow Man candidate for president, they really don’t have much of substance beyond Palin-hate.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

No kidding, I truly believe that there is such a thing.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Do you know if she ran for the RNC head?

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

No kidding, I truly believe that there is such a thing.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM

You may be right, what with the 1,000′s out there.

I told my son that today and he said, you mean “there’s an App for that?” LOL

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Are we dissecting every syllable uttered by Palin?

We certainly aren’t. That’s your forte. I’m dissecting Ed’s statement.

You might be more useful of if you focus on the bigger issues, like getting rid of Akin..:)
idesign on August 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

As I’m more useful for focusing on bigger and smaller issues at the same time, your ad hominem is of no use to me.

You may keep it.

rukiddingme on August 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I don’t see what people are bitching about. [snip]

victor82 on August 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Other than Ed’s statement is incorrect, I don’t either.

rukiddingme on August 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM

501

Bmore on August 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

That’s the correct area code…

Gohawgs on August 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Do not support Todd Akin, a man of self serving principles.

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

That implies that there are selfless politicians out there. I have yet to meet one.

gryphon202 on August 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I find it is always one who posts the same ole dumbass comments over and over.
content that I would enjoy reading.

Funny, I feel the same exact way about your comments.
Same nasty nista’s spamming the thread over and over and over.
We all have our cross to bear in HA world. Don’t kid yourself that your comments are a joy to read. You’re tiresome.

Buttercup on August 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM