Video: Noted party boss castigates Akin for not withdrawing

posted at 9:21 am on August 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Count Sarah Palin among the politely unimpressed with Todd Akin’s dedication to principle in his decision to stay in the race.  “Bless his heart,” Palin told Greta van Susteren (whose own displeasure is couched in less-generous tones), “but you have to know when to hold them and when to fold them.  Believe me, I’ve been there.”  After saying that she knows what Akin might have been trying to do in defending life, Palin emphasizes that the Senate election in Missouri is bigger than one person.  And if Akin won’t get out, Republicans have to find another way to beat Claire McCaskill — by running Palin’s original endorsee in the race as a third party [see update]:

In any other context, having Palin urge a third-party run for a Senate seat would have been the ultimate slap against the GOP establishment. Now, it might be their only option left, unless groups like the NRSC and American Crossroads are willing to eat crow and place some ads in Missouri backing Akin. It depends on the polling, but it’s hard to imagine someone with Akin’s current negatives remaining competitive for long. In October, McCaskill’s campaign is going to start running ads with the video of Akin attempting to claim that “legitimate” rape victims have super-uteri that can resist rapist sperm or something, and the race will end up looking something like Alan Keyes’ competitiveness against Barack Obama in 2004 — unless Missouri voters have another option.

So, has anyone looked up the rules on independent Senate bids in Missouri? I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s already a matter of considerable research on the Right.

Update: Allahpundit shot me a link to Jim Geraghty last night, who did do the research on third-party bids. The good news? Republicans can get another name on the ballot. The bad news? Missouri has a sore-loser law that disqualifies Steelman and John Brunner. They can put Jim Talent, John Ashcroft, and pretty much anyone else on the ballot they wish — except anyone who was on the primary ballot. Palin actually says in the interview that the GOP needs to run someone like Steelman as an independent, not Steelman herself, which commenters have pointed out to me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pure irony. nathor is one of the most divisive and insulting commenter on Hot Air.

blink on August 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM

insulting? I am sure I am not!

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Portia46 on August 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Bull.
Women aren’t single issue voters…and we’re not stupid.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I’ve been a Republican and a conservative and in the trenches making the argument that women aren’t a monolith since Gloria Steinem became a Playboy Bunnie and Bela Abzug got herself ejected from the House Floor for wearing a hat. Please don’t lecture me about the obvious.

Demographics don’t every apply to “all”, but specific groups can be polled and percentages of support will apply. In this election, I am part of at least two—maybe three—demographics. Why would you think I’m saying women are stupid? Obviously some are. Very stupid. Stephanie Cutter comes to mind. I don’t believe pro-lifers are stupid either, but I can make a very good case that Akin is as delusional as Icarus. His hubris knows no bounds.

Portia46 on August 22, 2012 at 11:43 AM

listens2glenn on August 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I dont agree with your interpretation, but, lets assume you are right,so what? what you want to get from this? that atheists and people of other religions would not be legitimate inhabitants of this land? that we are not deserving of our forefathers legacy? we are like 2nd class citizens?
don’t you understand how divisive and even insulting your insistence in this subject is?

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Point #1: Without people, there’s no laws.

Even with people you can have total anarchy; no laws.
You can have a large group of people, and no nation.

People agree on a set of laws; then you have a nation.

You cannot have a nation without the people mutually agreeing on a set of laws.

Point #2: Having non-Christian citizens being subject to public displays of recognition of the God of the Bible does NOT constitute the establishing of non-Christians as second class citizens.
Contrary to popular belief, we “fundies” (and I include “Sweater Vest” in this) are not trying to establish a Theocracy.

listens2glenn on August 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

insulting? I am sure I am not!

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Nope. Not at all.

And, I’m Elvis. Thankyaverymuch.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I proved that I didn’t even comment on the issue today.

Lol so you proved something that wasn’t even in dispute? When did I ever say that you commented on the issue today? This is what I said:

IIRC, you were one of the first ones to bring light to the fact that she used the word, “like,” so therefore wasn’t directly asking Steelman to run. Others were just responding to you by asserting that Palin did, in fact, want Steelman to run, later on in the interview. I didn’t see the interview so I don’t know if this is true or not.

GOPRanknFile on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Yup. Don’t see anywhere in this statement where I was talking about today.

You posted a comment I made yesterday,but that doesen’t prove it was one of the first comments, and If you meant yesterday, why didn’t you state it?

I posted a comment you made yesterday to corroborate my point about you being one of the first ones to make an issue of the fact that she said “like Steelman.” The evidence provided supports this. If I’m making a general point about you being one of the first ones, that implies one of the first ones since it became an issue. It doesn’t mean today. Not really sure why you would assume something so silly. But then again, I shouldn’t be particularly surprised.

But by all means, keep digging..:)

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Lol you’re so far down in the ditch, you’re just a speck at this point. Nice try. :)

GOPRanknFile on August 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

OWS called, your shift has been changed to noon.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Sarah gave us O’donnell and the “I am not a witch” hilarity!

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM

How many times does it have to be said Palin did NOT endorse O’Donnell

KBird on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You do know there was a Senate before the 17th Amendment, don’t you?

So you think that Alaska and Hawaii wouldn’t have joined the United States if we hadn’t altered the election of Senators to popular vote? You do realize the only Alaska & Hawaii weren’t states yet – do you have any understanding of their history & why they became states?

batterup on August 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

what? please read my statement again. the senate helps states with little population to still have relevant representation in the congress! if those representatives are directly elected by the states people or by the states politicians, that wont alter their function of giving more power to small population states.

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

How many times does it have to be said Palin did NOT endorse O’Donnell

KBird on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

GOPRanknFile on August 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Nope. Not at all.

And, I’m Elvis. Thankyaverymuch.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

proof?

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Bless his heart! You see every once in a while one of these her mama grizzlies needs to know when it’s ok to let one of yer cubs float down the river and die and get eaten by fish. Jesus Bear was like this. He knew political expediency must triumph righteously over “beliefs”.

And Barry is the under the bus thrower.

tommyhawk on August 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I just saw your “Chung” post. That would be incredibly difficult.

Rusty Allen on August 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM

proof?

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

About as much as there is to back up your claim that you don’t insult HA posters.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Well, Well, Well,,

What goes around comes around.

The RNC, the Republican Party allowed the pure nut job Ron Paul to be on the stage with all the other Republicans, they let him spew his nut job crap for a year live on TV and many here on this blog still think the old nut job is sane.

Not.

Now Akin who most likely is not as big a nut job and unelectable as Ron Paul, yet many want that crazy old nut job making speeches at the convention, and many voted for the old nut.

THE LEADERSHIP OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY HAD BETTER GROW A PAIR AND FILE A LAW SUIT AND DEMAND THIS AKIN BE STRUCK FROM THE BALLOT, AND WHILE THEY ARE AT IT KICK RON PAUL TO THE NUT JOB CURB TOO.

in my low Apache breed opinon of the RNC etal.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM

If Akin leaves now that the deadline has passed (since he’s getting no support), what are the options? Does he need a court order?

NoDonkey on August 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Sarah gave us O’donnell and the “I am not a witch” hilarity! ……nathor on August 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM

How many times does it have to be said Palin did NOT endorse O’Donnell……….KBird on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Right on! Sarah wouldn’t have made such a dumb statement as Akin did either.

Herb on August 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Akin’s platform IS the GOP’s platform. It’s that simple.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

The GOP platform does not state that the GOP position on whether or not a woman becomes pregnant after being “legitimately raped” depends a great deal on her attitude about the “legitimate rape”. Nor does it state the GOP position is that pregnancy after rape makes the “legitimacy” of the rape suspect.

As to the GOP platform plank about no abortion exception for rape, there are a lot of things in the platform that most of the GOP does not agree with. You do know that allowing a minority to put a few planks in the platform is a traditional way of pandering and throwing them a bone, right? The Dem platform is also riddled with things most Dems do not a agree with.

The only thing a plank in the platform provides is a talking point or two for one side or the other that most people ignore and that is quickly dropped. The platform has no influence on the policies and positions taken by individual elected politicians. They are not bound in any way to agree with and support everything in the platform.

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM

KBird on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

yeah, she sure did.

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Dear RNC,

Your the elected leaders.

ACT.

Yours pissed off,

U.S.A.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on August 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Akin’s platform IS the GOP’s platform. It’s that simple. It’s typical but not surprising to see all you HotAirheads trying to repudiate your own views now that the searing light of truth is upon them.

GOP values: moral cowardice, backstabbing, and Me-First. Are you sure you guys aren’t all recovering hippies?

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

So all of us “Hotairheads” have the same views??

WOW! thanks for setting me straight!

I doubt we’ll all recovering Hippies, but I’m quite
certain some are….are you sure you’re not a Tick on
a Dog’s azz??

ToddPA on August 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Rusty Allen on August 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Add this to the mix, the client was extremely Caucasian. My very uninhabited co-worker said “Wow, you are not what I was expecting” right out loud. Funny in an embarrassing way.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

While I am sure that Gov. Palin did support Ms. O’Donnell you evidence had the word “apparently” in it, making it less than rock solid.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

What you are saying doesn’t make any sense in regards to the 17th Amendment. You really should read that link I gave you, you don’t seem to have any understanding of the US Senate before & after the 17th. Some deeper history about the deliberations regarding the initial formation of the Senate would be useful too. Go beyond textbooks, their information is too simplistic.

When the Senators were elected by the State Legislature there was greater representation of all segments of a state. Now, because of the 17th Amendment Senators are virtually picked by only the populace of the large cities in a state. Illinois for example has a fairly large rural and farming community – do you think Chicago sending 2 Representatives to Washington is fairly representing the needs of all of the State of Illinois?

batterup on August 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Akin’s Rally fundraising email sent out at 5:47 PM PDT yesterday asking for a goal of %5,000 as of right now 9:01 AM PDT has raised only $2,245.

scrubjay on August 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Are you kidding me? So that’s the latest ‘nista “Palin can do no wrong and is always right” cult spin of the day, lol?

Give me a break….when she said “like Steelman”, she meant Steelman herself, and anyone who is being intellectually honest knows it. And guess what? THAT’S OKAY! She’s not an expert on Missouri election law, and no one expects her to be. Stop trying to come up with a silly word parsing argument to defend something that doesn’t even need defending.

xblade on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

scrubjay on August 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I advise him to set up a fundraising mechanism where we can pay him enough to get lost.

I will gladly donate to get rid of this idiot.

NoDonkey on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM

really?? are you friggin kidding?? i sure hope so, but w/ the nista cult who knows. better???

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

We all know what he meant… Especially Whoopie G. But Akin has to git out.
I do love hearing Sarah tackle an issue like this one. She continually reminds the country that it’s not about the politicians egos (bless their little hearts…heh).
When she said ‘don’t invite yourself to the party’… I gained a deeper respect and understanding of her. She nailed the very core of how politicians should be handling rejection.

Put the big ego aside and look at the big picture… If staying in is damaging to the people of the country… Take a deep breath and step aside.

RalphyBoy on August 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Point #1: Without people, there’s no laws.

Even with people you can have total anarchy; no laws.
You can have a large group of people, and no nation.

People agree on a set of laws; then you have a nation.

very well, a nation needs both people and laws. cool.

You cannot have a nation without the people mutually agreeing on a set of laws.

sure, agree

Contrary to popular belief,

thin line there. its obvious that atheists and people of other faiths have to endure certain stuff that can makes us feel unwelcome or not belonging.

listens2glenn on August 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

sure, as long as people have the higher power regarding the laws of the country, it will never be a theocracy, even if people end up supporting laws that god approves.

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

All I’m saying is that if he refuses to drop out, we’re probably going to have to cede the seat to McCaskill. I just don’t see where spending millions of dollars trying to run a backup third-party candidate is likely to result in GOP victory.

Outlander on August 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM

You could be right, but I also believe some preliminary polling and exploring are in order. 71% of MO voters rejected Obamacare and the feeling against this woman run deep and angry. I think a straightforward ad telling the truth about how Akin got the nomination via Dem cross-over votes and money would start-kick a good candidate.

Portia46 on August 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

“Noted Party Boss”, ROFL. Good one Ed!!

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Sorry, same story different source. The words apparently and evidently still in play. I don’t understand why anyone should run away from the fact that they have endorsed a less than perfect candidate. It happens all the time. You’ve seen Congress, right?

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Sarah gave us O’donnell and the “I am not a witch” hilarity!

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Both of whom I’d still support today.

long_cat on August 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM

The GOP is Akin, Akin is the GOP. Quit trying to castigate a fellow who only spoke what the majority of you believe.

Cowards.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Thanks for emerging from Obama’s colon long enough to send us that message.

Now go back where you belong.

NoDonkey on August 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Republicans never learn…never. They should all pay Putin to teach them how to ignore the Democrats’ MSM.

Anyway, Ryan needs to resign from the ticket and give up his seat in congress (along with 225 other members of the House).

Ryan Refuses to Explain “Forcible” Rape

Karmi on August 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM

batterup on August 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM

look, out of this discussion I moved a bit your way almost to the point that I don’t care if it is repealed or not. you win. lets move on.

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM

KBird on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

She certainly did endorse her.

Rusty Allen on August 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Also are you aware that Gov. Romney contributed to and campaigned for Ms. O’Donnell? I’ve always been a supporter of the people of the state making their choice. I must admit Mr. Akin has rocked that boat more than a bit. The fact that it was practically a three way tie is the only thing I can hold on to.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM

are you trying to say sarah didnt make the endorsement? that hannity’s tweet was erroneous? get real, she did it, if she hadnt she wouldve had sean correct it, it would be noted somewhere. just deal w/ it.

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Rush just said that Akin defied him, LOL Just checking in to HA.

Run Sarah Run!!

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM

i could care less what romney did. the OP said sarah didnt endorse o’donnell. she did, its a fact.

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM

The crazies always come out when Palin is mentioned. Does
someone from the whacked out left send an email blast?

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM

So what?

and Palin got a C- in third grade.

Ancient history…

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I’m stil trying to figure out what Palin endorsing O’Donnell has to do with her thinking Akin should drop out.

Unlike some posters here, since I’m not in Palin’s mind, I can’t say that she was talking about Steelman running when she said a candidate LIKE Steelman. Seems to me that if indeed she was talking about Steelman running as a 3rd party/write in candidate she would have said something like “Let’s get Steelman to run a 3rd party campaign.

No wonder politicians think they can get excuses for verbal gaffes – people are very quick to spin the comments based on who they like and who they dislike.

katiejane on August 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Thanks for emerging from Obama’s colon long enough to send us that message.

Now go back where you belong.

NoDonkey on August 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Actually, it’s Republicans who are always trying to hide. You guys are showing absolutely zero backbone. Pathetic, soft-tummied keyboard warriors one and all.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Wow, The paid trolls are sure out in force on this.

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

“Now, it might be their only option left, unless groups like the NRSC and American Crossroads are willing to eat crow and place some ads in Missouri backing Akin.”

It’s not about “eating crow”, it’s about keeping that asshole from damaging other candidates. Any Republican money going to him hurts other Republicans, who then have to explain why their party is supporting that loser.

Not one thin dime. Akin isn’t going to get any money, from anyone who wants to have any sort of valuable connection with other Republicans.

Even if we’re going to end up losing the Senate race, we still need a third party candidate, just to give people a reason to go to the polls and vote for Romney. MO was close last time. It won’t be close this time, IF we have good voter turnout. Akin on the Senate ballot, and only a choice between him and McCaskill, will really hurt voter turnout.

Greg Q on August 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM

dude, you got slapped down already on this thread, stay out.

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

The crazies always come out when Palin is mentioned. Does
someone from the whacked out left send an email blast?

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM

No, Romney central..l

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

dude, you got slapped down already on this thread, stay out.

chasdal on August 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

F off…

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM

You so wish this was true, but all the evidence over the past few days proves otherwise.

But this is for you. The Democratic Party is Anthony Weiner, Anthony Weiner is the Democratic Party. Congratulations, the Democratic Party is a lying creep.

blink on August 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Nope. Sorry, try again. The Weiner debacle was about stupid behavior way out of the mainstream. The Akin affair is about a crudely worded core GOP belief.

It’s also about Republicans’ mass cowardice in the face of national scrutiny. You guys are cowards.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

People of all religions have to endure certain stuff that can make us feel unwelcome or not belonging. People of all races have to ensure certain stuff that can make us feel unwelcome or not belonging.

In fact, all kinds of people, for all kinds of reasons, have to endure certain stuff that can make us feel unwelcome or not belonging.

It’s called being a citizen of a free state, where you don’t have to like what someone else thinks or believes, but you do have to tolerate their right to think for believe it.

Understand? Good.

MadisonConservative on August 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM

The crazies always come out when Palin is mentioned. Does
someone from the whacked out left send an email blast?

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM

They have a special App that monitors HA threads, LOL

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Sheeiit! It looks like they’ll let ANYONE join Urine-o-list now.

bigmike on August 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM

The GOP is Akin, Akin is the GOP.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM

blink on August 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

The Democrat party is Rep. Kerry Gauthier, Rep. Kerry Gauthier is the Democrat party. The Democrat party is full of pederasts. Congratulations.

This is fun! weeeee!!

cptacek on August 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Not a fact, just a Lib’s opinion.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You should care, you should understand the Progressives – what they want for all of us. They are the same people who gave us the 18th Amendment. Ask yourself why this group of people disempowered the States with the 17th. They are trying to do it again by pushing the Popular Vote for President.

The Progressives are not “moving on” they are pushing Forward.

batterup on August 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Cowards.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:

Ok, you are officially dumber than a bacteria often found in the fecal matter and that very inspiredly is your moniker…

jimver on August 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Czar of Defenestration on August 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM

You ARE aware that Palin was doing an end run on Hillary for VP, right? McCain caught on and said the same thing. Obama fell for it and his Press Secretary mocked the idea that they’d ever take McCain’s advise on VP’s.

Contrary to the Dem meme and her accent, Sarah Palin is about as stupid as that Simple Country Lawyer, Sam Irvin.

Portia46 on August 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Understand? Good.

MadisonConservative on August 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I am ok with this.
but tell me something what do you value most:
a) that your religious “rituals” be present at official state events?
b) that all your fellow countrymen feel included in the social institutions that we share?

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

You have to adjust for Palin’s normal tortured syntax and general inability to express herself well.

AngusMc on August 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Gee after all those years of screaming about states’ rights. the GOP sure is quick to squelch the people of Missouri’s decisions.
Big brother in a three piece suit is just as bad as big brother in blue jeans.

Don L on August 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

katiejane on August 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

It doesn’t have anything to do with anything. It is just another shot from the pop gun war between the lovers and haters of Gov. Palin. The truth is that she is a paid commentator with a knowledge of the Republican Party, just like Trippy and the like are paid commentators with a knowledge of the Democrat party. I suggest sitting back and enjoying the show by the two warring factions.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

You are aware that the Capital Building was used as a church until 1848,aren’t you?

Follow Madison Conservative’s advice. Get over yourself.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Let try this one out for size

The Moron, when he finally realize how untenable his situation is, has up to 9/25 to step aside. But that would involve having to get a court order, and that may be challenged by the Dem or the Dem Secretary of State.

What about, in the very near future, the GOP recruits a well known credible candidate and run him ( and preferably her, if one is available) as either a write in or third party candidate, whichever the rules allow. When the moron realizes the hard truth, the GOP can negotiate a deal for … (retiring his debts , for instance, but no office or position) and the moron will just “suspend” his campaign and stop running, without officially withdrawing. That will get around Dem interference and still result in a 2 candidate race against McCaskill.

bayview on August 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

less-generous

Oh, I don’t know about that, Ed… “bless your heart” can be a pretty strong criticism. And as a southern boy, Akin ought to know the many layers of disapproval it carries, particularly when said by a woman!

AndStatistics on August 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

a) that your religious “rituals” be present at official state events?

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

You are still having to chose one group over the other. There is no perfect answer. If I go to an event and there is no “ritual” I am not offended, why should you be if there is? Looking for something to gripe about is no way to go through life.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Follow Madison Conservative’s advice. Get over yourself.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM

really? holy places should not be corrupted by politicians :)
I shut up with a simple a or b answer! what do you value most:
a) that your religious “rituals” be present at official state events?

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

It looks like Missouri repubs is stuck with Akins. ANY third party write-in or whatever will give McCaskill the win. Sounds like Akin thinks he has a shot despite what happened. Put the energy somewhere else.

TerryW on August 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

blink on August 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Wow, I thought you were just plain stupid, but I take it back, you are downright demented, you belong right there with Biden and possibly with Akin…so, the Weiner debacle was about stupid behaviour way out of the maistream, then the Cigar Bill debacle was about what exactly?? New little (stained) blue dress fashion trend??? That was a pretty mainstream president, as far as I remember, pretty popular with your side….and apart from the Monica affair, remind me how mnay women filed complained against him that in legal terms translate pretty much as rape accusations…. Oh, and most of your people (the Holywood big time Obama donors in particular) I remember defending Polanski for his stautory rape l’il adventure, that in the words of that pillar of the TV culture, WHoopi wasn’t rape-rape….or that one was out of mainstream too?…define mainstream for us , genius…

jimver on August 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

TerryW on August 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

You think JIm Talent doesn’t stand a chance?

jimver on August 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM

‘filed complaints’ that is…

jimver on August 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I am ok with this.
but tell me something what do you value most:
a) that your religious “rituals” be present at official state events?

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I don’t give a f**k about whether you “feel included” in something. I’m neither a man of faith, nor a man of non-faith(like the atheists who claim to know for a fact that there is no higher power), so I’m entirely excluded. Being an American does not guarantee you comfort. It guarantees you tolerance for your beliefs. If you’re too much of a pu**y to hold your beliefs in the fact of perceived disapproval, you’re not much of an American. I’m a conservative living in Madison who openly carries a firearm. You want to talk about feeling out of place? Try having several of your cities’ police officers surround you for lawfully carrying a weapon in the only legal way possible and threaten you with future arrest if you keep doing it.

You whiny, self-pitying nonbelievers make me sick. Grow a pair and hold your beliefs with pride. Don’t demand that others water theirs down.

MadisonConservative on August 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Portia46 on August 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM

First of all, it’s Sam J. Ervin Jr. and he was a Senator. You need to read up on what the meaning of stupid is. It’s not Sarah Palin and it wasn’t Sam J. Ervin, Jr.

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Big brother in a three piece suit is just as bad as big brother in blue jeans.

Don L on August 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Except that SurveyUSA just released a Missouri poll saying Akin should drop out – 54%.

sentinelrules on August 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I not pushing to remove the rituals, I personally learned to ignore them. although I know some people that feel more strongly about it.
I trying to understand why is so important to some that these rituals remain. If there is no ritual, who gets offended? and why?

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM

AngusMc on August 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

hmm, I understand her quite well….then again, I
understand COMMON SENSE…..
..as opposed to
Political Doublespeakobfuscationtalkingoutyourazz101.

ToddPA on August 22, 2012 at 12:53 PM

MadisonConservative on August 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

One hell of a quote right here HotAir.

ToddPA on August 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Portia46 on August 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You know, despite Portia46′s misspelling Ervin’s name, she is paying a compliment to Palin. You are so defensive that you take anything not posted by devout Palinistas as a knock.

bayview on August 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM

MadisonConservative on August 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

WTF? lol!

all i can say is relax!

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM

well she didn’t know about the sore-loser law, but that law’s kinda silly anyway in my opinion…

Sachiko on August 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM

No way. The law makes perfect sense. No way should a candidate be able to ignore their constituents wishes and run again after they’ve lost the nomination process. It’s how we ended up with Liza Murcowsky (sic) instead of Joe Miller.

njrob on August 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Indeed it is fun and easy to play bifidis’ simpletons game.

blink on August 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM

It got me. I hate when a troll I am unfamiliar with shows up and I waste my time writing a lengthy reply.

On the plus side, one more troll identified. bifidis now goes on my lengthy “trolls to ignore unless really bored” list.

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM

How many times does it have to be said Palin did NOT endorse O’Donnell

KBird on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Yes. She. Did. It was Angle she didn’t endorse in the primary.

topdawg on August 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Yes. She. Did. It was Angle she didn’t endorse in the primary.

topdawg on August 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I number of people including myself, confused the two.

But It’s ancient history. People need to move on…..

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“Ervin”, “Irvin”. My apologies (and to Sam Sr. too) Aw, well. One forgets after 40 years (although I’m fairly certain I never did know his middle initial). But how, exactly, do you think I knew that Simple Country Lawyer? And knew how he frequently prefaced an argument?

And you perhaps should look up the definitions of “stupid” and “ignorant”. They can certainly exist in a single entity, but their meanings are not interchangeable. And while you’ve got old Noel’s lexicon off the shelf, you might want to also look up on “irony”.

I am a great admirer of Mrs Palin…and of Senator Sam.

Portia46 on August 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

How many times does it have to be said Palin did NOT endorse O’Donnell

KBird on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

She did. In the primary and long before O’Donnell exposed herself as a nutjob.

Stu Gotts on August 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

How many times does it have to be said Palin did NOT endorse O’Donnell

KBird on August 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

‏@ChristineOD
Just got Gov. Palin’s endorsement! Thank you for your prayers!

AngusMc on August 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Agreed. She goes a bit further in the interview and it becomes clear she doesn’t know that Steelman can’t run. Big deal.

I called it a gaffe yesterday and I shouldn’t have. Palin isn’t expected to know esoterica about MO law.

Pythagoras on August 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM

The crazies always come out when Palin is mentioned. Does
someone from the whacked out left send an email blast?

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM
No, Romney central..l

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Often I think it is “six of one, half dozen of another”.

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I suggest sitting back and enjoying the show by the two warring factions.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I would try that but I guess my quota for stupid remarks gets reached too quickly. It is amazing how the anti-Palin posters mock her supporters for their commitment but never wonder if they’re the fools for hanging onto their hate. I guess HA needs an occasional Palin thread to build up the click count.

katiejane on August 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Sarah you were endorsed by the Libertarian Party of Alaska in your governor’s race in 2006. You publicly thanked the Libertarian Party for your election on election night at the Egan Center in downtown Anchorage. I was there. I saw you give Jason Dowell, Libertarian Party Chair, a big bear hug in front of the cameras.

You should know that there’s a Libertarian Party candidate – Jonathan Dine – on the ballot in Missouri.

How about returning the favor Sarah. Back the Libertarian in the race.

ericdondero on August 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

He’s a kook and his entire campaign is about making pot and other drugs legal. No thanks. Member of NORML… hahaha.

njrob on August 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM

C’mon Hot Air!

As I just pulled up your site, 11 of the 35 articles on the page referred to Todd Akin — OVER 30%!

I doubt that if Israel had bombed Iran this morning you would have had this much coverage.

Give us a break. The guy made an idiotic statement. BIG DEAL! End of story.

Concerned_American on August 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM

nathor on August 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Your feelings are your’s to control.

You can get mad, happy or fell included, all in the same britches.

The is a land of freedom. I’m free to publicly worship God and sing His praises.

And you’re free to worship yourself, if you want to.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM