Let’s hear it, southerners: Is Romney saying “bless his heart” about Obama a big deal?

posted at 9:21 pm on August 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Ace and Twitchy, whose managing editors, Lori Ziganto and Jenn Taylor, are southern transplants and who seem palpably impressed that Mitt would “go there.” CBS reporter Jan Crawford calls this, half-jokingly I presume, “the ultimate dis.” Our own Mary Katharine Ham is a Durham, North Carolina native and would be able to settle this straightaway, but she’s unavailable right now; hopefully she’ll update my post or add one of her own to clarify.

Question for our southern readership, then, while we wait for the Hammer to chime in: How big an insult is this really? I’ve always understood it to be a gentle, almost pitying, but clearly condescending sort of jab, tantamount to “it’s precious how stupid you are.” But there must be more to it than that. Romney’s said flat out before that he doesn’t think Obama understands the economy, which is the gist of what he’s saying here too. The “bless his heart” thing obviously adds a bit more of a putdown oomph to it, enough so that southerners seem to think it’s an unusually potent shot, but I’m not getting it. What nuance am I missing? Should I be mentally substituting “President Doofus” for the BHH bit? Inquiring Yankee minds want to know. Frankly, Romney being Romney, he probably means “bless his heart” literally. Click the image to watch.

Update (MKH): Sorry to be chiming in late on this. My response is “meh.” “Bless his heart” is a catch-all phrase, used after a criticism, ostensibly to soften the blow rhetorically. It’s always slightly condescending, but can either denote real affection for the target (for an accident-prone child, for instance: “He’s always skinning his knees, bless his heart.) or derision, as it does in this case. This sounds like a continuation of Romney’s standard line about Obama not understanding the economy. If he’d lingered on “bless his heart” it would have come across more insulting. This just sounds like a surprisingly apt use of the phrase by a Northeasterner who’s comfortable with it. That being said, Touré will be calling it racist in 3, 2, 1.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

‘Bless his heart’ is also akin to ‘bless his pointy little head’.

thatsafactjack on August 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

TxAnn56 on August 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Spawn starts @ TTU next week.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

LOL …..well they way I have heard it used most often would go something like this ….My brother Billy Jo …. well he’s a nice man and everything but bless his heart he can’t tie his own damned shoes ….and I don’t know about everywhere else but in Texas its a pitying kinda There but for the grace of God go I or yep that ole boy is dumber than a box of hammers ….bless his heart….yep its a shot …if obama was there Romney might just as well been patting him on the head and giving him a quarter and telling him now don’t you worry your little head over this ….let the grown ups take care of it

Aggie95 on August 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

This is about the best explanation I’ve heard as to how we Southerners use the phrase.

Yup.

skatz51 on August 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Terrye on August 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

BLESS his heart, SP’s all the poor thing has to live for.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

This is true.

Terrye on August 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Heard the phrase “Bless his heart” pretty much all my life, when somebody did or said something bad or stupid or was trying to hurt my family.

The best explanation of the term came when I was 6 or 7 and when I asked my grandmother, born and raised in Mississippi, what it meant. She said, “We’re just asking God to forgive him and hopefully change his heart.”

So, in a way it’s an insult, but a quite soft one, really. Then again, no one knows how better to kill with kindness than the sons and daughters of the South.

TXUS on August 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I have to admit that this was a nice move by Gov. Romney. Anyone can say y’all, no one should say “I ain’t no ways tired” and adopting the cadence is tricky and better left alone. The use of this is a nice nod to the differences of the South and the subtly of hostilities and hospitality.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I agree, except “tired” should be “tahrd”

ccrosby on August 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM

‘Bless his heart’ is also akin to ‘bless his pointy little head’.

thatsafactjack on August 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Yes, it is.

Terrye on August 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Crap,I turn my back,and its Page #3…Yowzer!

canopfor on August 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM

when i lived up north

renalin on August 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Which northern part of your Failure Democrat City did you live in?

Del Dolemonte on August 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM

To a southerner, in my 11 years experience living among them, the phrase “bless his heart”, or “bless his little heart” is tantamount to patting them on the head and offering condolences on their profound retardation.

In regards to ocommie, it’s fitting.

Wolfmoon on August 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM

You know, this ‘bless your heart’ thing could be fun to insult liblets. They won’t get that they’re being dismissed while believing they’re being validated.

Comedy gold!

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

someone who prefers “eff you” to “BHH” and equates the two — as one of their own.Dark Star on August 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM

initially i thought bless your heart was someone being nice. as time went on i understood the subtleties. didn’t sit right with me somehow. still doesn’t.

and they smile the sweetest smile when they say it. with the same mouth they sing hymns and praises.

mom taught me to look up. never go wrong if ya look up. so at least i have that going for me.

renalin on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Holy cow, did this fluff piece fill up fast!

JohnGalt23 on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I agree, except “tired” should be “tahrd”

ccrosby on August 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I’ve started saying it like that. LoL.
I still say ‘Alright’ as ‘awright’. Old habits die hard.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Yeah, it’s basically an exceptionally polite way of simply saying he’s the dumbest piece of walking excrement you can possibly imagine. It’s extremely condescending in a syrupy way – and completely appropriate.

Midas on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

You’re a contestant on Top Chef and Paula Deen is a guest judge. You make deconstructed chicken fried steak because Paula’s there and she says “bless your heart” darlin’. That means ya done good.

TxAnn56 on August 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Only if you wrapped that chicken fried steak in butter! :0

Seriously,you hit on an important point. When you tell somebody “bless your heart” is different than when you say it to a third party. If the object of the blessing is not there it is an insult.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Someone told him to use it, because the cadence was way off.

Mitt was saying it literally. Sounds funny that way. I’m now expecting to hear this at the convention.

Christie should pop this line. That would be the greatest contrast, evah.

budfox on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Well … he WAS in Iowa after all. Not exactly the Deep South. Maybe he thought he was in NC?

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM

renalin on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Everyone should have one thing..

annoyinglittletwerp on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Spawn starts @ TTU next week.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

He had to report early for the corps. His father was my brother who was killed 9 years ago, so he’s almost like my own spawn. I’ve already covertly sent him spending money even though his mother wants him to live on a budget.

TxAnn56 on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Frankly, it seems to me more like Romney ripping off Palin.
ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Bless your heart ddrintn you never miss an opportunity to talk about her do you? You got it bad don’t you? Bless your heart.
You betcha!
Terrye on August 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM

She also invented grits while writing “Polk Salad Annie” for Tony Joe White, y’know.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

renalin on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

It’s called defeating your enemy with burning coals of kindess.

nobar on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

frankly i didn’t pay attention to their accent. i was use to taking people at their word. different culture totally. they will NEVER accept you as one of their own. thats cool with me. they stay out of my way i stay out of theirs.

that’s whats great about this country.

renalin on August 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Southerners are friendly,very respectful and polite. This does seem to confuse some Yankees.

Southernblogger on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Frankly, it seems to me more like Romney ripping off Palin.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Well bless your heart, you would.

SWalker on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

The South is rising again tonight?

faraway on August 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

YAWN………..Next

TX-96 on August 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Well, the target is Obama. So there’s no such thing as a small insult.

Jim Treacher on August 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Frankly, Romney being Romney, he probably means “bless his heart” literally.

That made me laugh!

The joke here is that you can say absolutely the most horrible, insulting thing to somebody and still be considered polite as long as it is followed by, “bless his heart.” For instance, “he murdered his dog-bless his heart!” or in the case of Obama, “he killed the economy, bless his heart!”

PrincipleStand on August 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Comedy gold!

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Exactly!

They think you’re just being a ignorant Christian dumba**

ccrosby on August 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Well butter my butt and call me biscuit, I never thought I’d hear something like that from Governor Romney.

Flora Duh on August 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I may not like all of Romney’s policies and he wasn’t my first choice…..but….I sure am begining to like his personality if y’all know what I means!!!

dddave on August 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Well butter my butt

Flora Duh on August 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

honey!

faraway on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

PrincipleStand on August 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

More like, Obama murdered the economy and ate the dog… bless his heart.

petunia on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I always heard it used about somebody who had done something of which he seemed to be proud but that something was actually disastrous or stupid. (despite my Queens home, I have lived many years in the South)

levi from queens on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

“Bless your heart” = “Boy”

-MSNBCBSABCNN

portlandon on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

IIRC, Didn’t Kay Bailey Hutchinson say something at a Dem convention like ” Poor George Bush, bless his heart, couldn’t help he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth?”

I never heard Palin use this phrase. This is a southernism if there ever was one.

Forgive me if this is a repeat. Bless my heart, I haven’t read the thread!

marybel on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Remember kiss my grits? Maybe she invented that too.

Terrye on August 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

TxAnn … its a good place to send the kids to school ….its a lot bigger now than it was 30 years ago …damn it but still a safe place and for anyone fixen to retire ….and if ya don’t mind heat a great place

Aggie95 on August 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

marybel on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Ann Richards. KBH is marginally-VERY maginally-GOP.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

It’s called defeating your enemy with burning coals of kindess.

nobar on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

its the secret to great barbecue. we tried those burning coals of envy and bitternes but the taste was “akin” to rotten eggs.

renalin on August 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

To my family here in North Florida and South Georgia, “bless your heart” means several different things. It could be sympathy for someone who is in a negative situation, but most of the time it’s a disclaimer that you’re about to rip that person a new one.

I’m ashamed to know that this video exists, but skip to 2:15 to get my point.

joekenha on August 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

“Bless your heart” = “Boy”

portlandon on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

A+ in Dowderisation!

Resist We Much on August 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

marybel, Ann Richards . Palin said this on Great 2 nights ago re Akin

faraway on August 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Greta

faraway on August 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Aggie95 on August 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Even though I’m a native Texan, I saw the campus for the first time a couple of weeks ago (shameful I know). It was really nice. And conservative!

TxAnn56 on August 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Christie should pop this line. That would be the greatest contrast, evah.

budfox on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM

When we moved to NJ, there were a few times I apologized to someone because I was concerned I’d spoken a bit too straightforwardly. Every time the response was something like, huh? I didn’t notice anything.

LOL The culture divide can be a chasm.

INC on August 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Obama walks in to a country store in Metter, Ga.
He hears a good ole boy say, “Damn, I won the sweet 16, boys!”
Obama says, “That’s great! Who’d you pick?”
Ryan walks out of the back with a beer and says, “Bless your heart. That’s a Remington shotgun, not a damn basketball tournament!”

BacaDog on August 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Forgive me if this is a repeat. Bless my heart, I haven’t read the thread!

marybel on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

You are partly right, it was Ann Richards, Democratic Governor of Texas.

Terrye on August 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Nancy Pelosi used the phrase about a President before, you know–

“You know, God bless him, bless his heart, president of the United States, a total failure, losing all credibility with the American people on the economy, on the war, on energy, you name the subject.”

And as she was talking about Bush, you know the then Shrieker of the House wasn’t trying to be kindly.

sistrum on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

renalin on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

People that spout lies, insults and outright statistical fabrications probably shouldn’t take oblique generalized swipes at others.

But, bless your heart, you just don’t know any better.

98ZJUSMC on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

They think you’re just being a ignorant Christian dumba**

ccrosby on August 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

The joke is always on them, and they’re the punchline. They just don’t get it, though.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Remember kiss my grits? Maybe she invented that too.
Terrye on August 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

And holds the copyright to “y’all”. Bumbling Joe Biden owes her royalties. She’s still getting residuals for the original Mint Julep recipe.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Former Mississippian here. I didn’t read all the comments, but I didn’t see if anyone else make this comment. “Bless your heart” can be (A) said to someone who has faced difficult hardships and is said as a form of sympathy or admiration for their strength. The other, and more common meaning is what the majority of responses here have been, is (B) that the person being spoken of is an absolute idiot. It’s all in the delivery, tone, and body language. Romney’s use of the phrase was no doubt (B).

behiker on August 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

That’s what makes it even funnier, heheheheh.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

“Bless his heart?” Wow. The ultimate insult!

Guess Romney should have said something more modest, like Obama had tried to kill people or was a felon – some statements like those….. Geesh!

pbundy on August 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Not too long ago, Pelosi slipped a “bless their hearts” dig at the Republicans, so if the Dems are insulted, I say, “Heh, serves them right. Obama is teh stoopid in more ways than in economic understanding.

onlineanalyst on August 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Most of my family is from Texas and I lived there many years. “Bless his heart” depends on the context in which it was said as to what meaning it had. But in this case I think it’s kind of like saying “Little Timmy tried to learn to tie his shoes, but, bless his heart, he just couldn’t get the hang of it.”

scalleywag on August 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Thanks, Terrye,

I just googled it and found out I had mistakenly maligned KBH.

Google is not only my friend, it’s the better half of my brain!

marybel on August 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Hey, at least he didn’t say out loud that he thought he was in N.C. or worse, misspell it Village People style.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

This is a slam while being gracious, in the South.

He could have said, “Bless his pointed little head.”

Kermit on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Jeeze, no wonder the south lost.

A purty lipped yankee flatters y’all and next thing ya’ know, y’all are blabbering teenagers squelin’ like piglets and spillin’ all the secrets.

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I knew Allah had spectacular nipples, but he has a purdy mouth too?

AllahsNippleHair on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

But this is kind of spot on

scalleywag on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

my credentials:
1) born & raised in NC
2) family history in VA back to the 1700′s
3) have lived outside of the South – 10 years in CA
4) currently residing in OK (thus my user name)

my two cents:
As someone else pointed out, if directed to another person, Bless your heart, should be seen as sincere and heartfelt.

HOWEVER, when delivered by a Southern Lady with that cool southern accent, a pretty smile, and when directed at a third person, BHH is the ultimate put down. Being from the south, we get that.

I watched the clip of Romney and IMHO, if he wanted to really get the most out of that put down, he should have paused just a minute so everyone could soak in the fact that a non-southerner was about to attempt a southern put down. A Southern Woman can simply stick that into a sentence on the fly and it cuts deep like a stiletto. A northern guy needs to let that one marinade for a bit before continuing on.

just my two cents, ya’ll

Tar Heel Sooner on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Southerners? They are some of the nicest people in the world. Plus they love my accent ;)

gophergirl on August 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I think most southerners are nice..they think it is bad manners to be anything else.

My grandmother told me that if you were mean or rude to people it was a sign of bad bringing up.

Terrye on August 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Yep. You can drive around Atlanta for a year and not hear a single car horn, and it’s damn hot.

slickwillie2001 on August 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM

ZOMG DOOOOOG WHISTLLLEEEE! SOUTHERNNNNN STRATEGYYYY!!!!

You get the idea.

I don’t feel like poking a hornet’s nest but if someone wanted to search Twitter for those terms (properly spelled of course) I’d bet many lulz could be had over the hysteria found therein.

Dirt McGirt on August 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Neither Southern nor Yankee but from the fine “Republic” – “bless your heart” is an admonition indicative of some failure; either in heart, soul or effort. Often offered as a blessing in disguise.

My great grandmother used it in many ways but the most influential for us “young’ns” was her – “Bless yah chile but keep it up an’ you’ll make a better door than a winder”.

It had nothing to do with blocking her view and everything to do with effort put forth.

Perfect for Romney to use when describing the O. Too bad she’s no longer with us. But then again there the “over the cliff thing to think about./////

koaiko on August 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

misspell it Village People style.
Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

That Obama pic is just begging for a photoshopping of him with the VP mispelling “Y-C-M-A”.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

It can also be used as “Mr. Jones just lost his wife, bless his heart” conveying kindness and sympathy, but that’s not the context of Romney’s statement, it’s more like he feels sorry for Mr. President for being inept and incapable of doing any better.

scalleywag on August 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

gophergirl on August 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Midwesterners have no accent. Everybody else talks funny, though.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

steinwaytony on August 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I’m a born and bred Southerner by the grace of God.
Context is everything.
“Bless his heart” can be used to evoke sympathy but in the context that Romney used it, it’s the worst put-down a Southerner can use and not have someone say, “Dang boy, you eat with that mouth?”.

single stack on August 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

That’s what makes it even funnier, heheheheh.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Making sport of liberals is a hobby of mine.

Last time I said that, a liberal freaked!

HeHeHeeeeeeeee ~laughing like Renfield~

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Bless his heart in Alabama speak his code for “God bless him despite his ignorance”.
The Yankee version would be gfy

seesalrun2 on August 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

When my grandma was thinking “Boy, you are about as dumb as a box of rocks for lighting that cat’s tail on fire…” What she actually said was, “Bless your heart…” Romney didn’t descend into a “chains” Bidenism or “I ain’t no ways tired” Hillaryism by adopting a phony accent. Romney said it naturally, in his same cadence. This is much ado about nothing.

Either Romney’s speechwriter is Southern, or Romney has a close friendship with someone Southern who uses this phrase and he has adopted it, or it was written into the speech to speak to Iowans, and he sped right over the line.

Sweaty Deacon on August 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Midwesterners have no accent. Everybody else talks funny, though.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Ay, Yo!

We peeps from Joisy gonna take ishoo wid dat!

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I’ve lived in the south all my life and I’ve never heard of this being any more than what you just described, AP. I think the reason it’s such a big deal is that the president and his followers pride themselves very much of this image of Obama being a super genius. They’re used to being condescending, but they absolutely hate it when it’s done to them.

Caiwyn on August 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

It’s been over an hour, should we expect MKH to show, or should we wait till the morning?

nobar on August 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Speaking as a seasoned Fl Panhandle cracker, to use it properly there has to be a slight pause as in, “Bless his heart Ya’ll know he done his best.”

wukong on August 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I’m guessing it may have been used a few times at the family reunion, usually within a few minutes or so following:

“Hey, hold my beer and watch this…”

“Well, bless his heart.”

Yoop on August 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I grew up in the mid-Atlantic region and “bless his heart” is a common phrase in rural areas there. It has a few different contexts:

1. in reference to something cute that a child did.
2. in reference to someone who has done a good deed.
3. in reference to someone who has endured a hardship.
4. in a reference meant in a condescending way to imply someone is dumb or can’t help what they have done because they were born that way (what an idiot, bless his heart).
5. in a sarcastic way (bless his tiny, cold, heart).

crosspatch on August 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

So is the press getting their ass on their shoulders about his?

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

HeHeHeeeeeeeee ~laughing like Renfield~
Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Used to creep my mom out when I imitated that laugh.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Pelosi says “Bless his Heart” all the time and she’s not a southerner.

terryannonline on August 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

trust me anyone from south of Washington D.C. who hears Romney say that is going to be

Aggie95 on August 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

“Bless his heart” is what a southerner would say if he saw Lenny from “Of Mice and Men” trying to read a book on Quantum Physics.

John Hawkins on August 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

“Hey, hold my beer and watch this…”

“Well, bless his heart.”

Yoop on August 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

LOL! I hope they aren’t blood kin but if so I hope you married up.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

terryannonline on August 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

It’s probably safe to say she’s doing it wrong.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Pelosi says “Bless his Heart” all the time and she’s not a southerner.

terryannonline on August 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Yeah, well…even the devil can quote Scripture.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Actually I think she might be ….at least maybe by birth ….but not inclination

Pelosi says “Bless his Heart” all the time and she’s not a southerner.

Aggie95 on August 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Midwesterners have no accent. Everybody else talks funny, though.
whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Ay, Yo!
We peeps from Joisy gonna take ishoo wid dat!
Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Uff Da!

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

“Hey, hold my beer and watch this…”

“Well, bless his heart.”

Yoop on August 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

A favorite clip. Happened in the grove.

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Another day not talking about the ECONOMY and Obamas record.

August 22nd goes to the DOTUS.

PappyD61 on August 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Actually I think she might be ….at least maybe by birth ….but not inclination

Just checked her wikipedia and she was born in Maryland.

terryannonline on August 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I am a Hoosier and a Yankee by birth but both my parents were from the South. My father thought of himself as a Southern gentleman, and I was raised with the manners and values of a Southern boy.

In my family the expression “bless his (or her) heart” had varied meanings based on the context, as others have described above. It could be an expression of sympathy and admiration for someone who persevered through difficulties. It could be diminutive, reflecting familiarity and used regarding a person either lovable or pitiable or both. Less commonly, it might be used toward someone whose conduct made them neither lovable nor pitiable, but rather wicked if not evil, whose heart you hoped would be changed for the better.

I don’t know if Romney is familiar with these varied meanings. From the context, I suspect he meant to express tolerance and pity for someone too clueless to realize how silly they are.

novaculus on August 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Lófaszt, nehogy már!

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

faux outrage… and the GOP dutifully follows the DEMs script by getting all bothered… this is a NOTHING incident.. move along

gatorboy on August 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Frankly, it seems to me more like Romney ripping off Palin.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Well bless your heart, you would.

SWalker on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Oh, come off it. Romney’s trying for a little personality transplant on the cheap. I figured mentioning it would get the ‘Bot Squad riled up, bless their hearts.

Place your bets now on whether Romney mentions styrofoam columns AGAIN in his convention speech.

ddrintn on August 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Well bless his little heart the child tried but ya know he is just a little daft and we can’t have a little daft ruining the country now can we?

We don’t speak like that here in IA but just across the border in MO and further south , yep, it’s dixieland speak. kinda cool actually!

ConcealedKerry on August 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Pelosi says “Bless his Heart” all the time and she’s not a southerner.
Aggie95 on August 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Nancy Pelosi accuses Republicans of trying to kill children with E. coli

“Bless their hearts, it’s the philosophy Republicans in Congress have. And bless their hearts, they act upon their beliefs. It’s an ideology. We shouldn’t have a government role. So reduce the police, the firemen, the teachers, reduce their role and give tax cuts to the high end. That will stimulate the economy and everything will be good,” Pelosi said.

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

whatcat on August 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I just be playin’ wit chu ~gets all rap an’ shit~

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM