Obama’s response to ’03 question on late-term abortions: “I am pro-choice”

posted at 8:01 pm on August 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via John McCormack, whose post you should read as a refresher on how dismal The One’s abortion record is. In fact, it’s so dismal that I think it undercuts the power of the clip he found. Show of hands: Who didn’t already assume before watching this that Obama supports “choice” in virtually every conceivable situation, including when a baby emerges alive after a botched abortion? I realize, per McCormack, that O endorsed banning late-term abortions in 2008, but he said a lot of things he doesn’t really believe to get elected four years ago. Where is he on this now? If he’s willing to “evolve” on gay marriage, by which I mean openly advocate what he’s secretly believed for decades, he should feel safe enough in his lame-duck term to make the case for Week 39 abortions, no? He’s already got Sandra Fluke writing campaign e-mails for him, as I learned around an hour ago; imagine how impressed feminists would be if he finally exploded the facade that the Democratic Party is meaningfully opposed to abortion in any circumstance.

On a related note:

Roman Catholic Cardinal Timothy Dolan will give the benediction at the Republican National Convention on the night Mitt Romney accepts the presidential nomination. The cardinal’s spokesman said the appearance was not an endorsement.

Dolan is the New York archbishop and president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops…

The archdiocese is one of more than 40 Catholic groups suing President Barack Obama over his mandate that employers provide health insurance that includes free birth control as a preventive service.

To emphasize that he’s not endorsing Romney, Dolan says he’ll give the benediction at the Democratic National Convention too if they want. But of course, the point of the RNC inviting him isn’t to claim his endorsement. It’s to push him back into the news and entice the media into interviewing him about O’s contraception mandate, a useful reminder to Catholic voters about where their church stands shortly before the Democratic convention has itself a big pro-choice jamboree 10 days from now. Good retail politics. Whether giving Dolan a media soapbox to challenge O will convince any Catholic fencesitters to actually tilt Republican, though, I don’t know. Didn’t work out too well last time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

TXUS on August 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Better they never have grandchildren by natural selection. May the Obamas never see and experience the joy of a new life among their own.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Um…the choices come before pregnancy. Condom or the pill. Surgical procedures or not. By the time the woman is pregnant the only choice is to kill or not to kill.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Two things:
1) No, the choices don’t only come before pregnancy. A pregnant woman still has the choice to terminate her pregnancy. That people like you don’t like that she has that choice doesn’t make it any less valid.

2) So when a condom fails or the rhythmn method results in pregnancy, you fully support a woman’s decision to abort her pregnancy, because she tried to take precautions, correct?

Ok, this has been fun, but time for me to go.
Sleep tight. Bite the bed bugs!

chumpThreads on August 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Why then is he AGAINST choice in every other venue? Senior healthcare? Take a pill. School lunch? Eat the pre-packaged, freeze-dried nastiness we tell you you’ll eat. Religious freedom and conscience clauses? You’ll do it if we tell you to!

UnderstandingisPower on August 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I didn’t realize that. I was copying the list because several people on the hospital board were also from Obama’s “church”.

INC on August 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

chumpThreads on August 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Seems you lost again.

Not unexpected.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

he should feel safe enough in his lame-duck term

STOP IT. Obama in a second term is frightening. Unless you write this as motivation to get Romney/Ryan elected. Ok then, I’m motivated.

conservative pilgrim on August 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I agree, but you assume that they could even possibly experience any kind of joy beyond their own individual selves, or even from their two current offspring which, who knows, are seen as “punishments” to them. At base, neither of these narcissistic evilians know anything about joy, so driven by hate as their whole lives have been. God bless those little girls, but if that means more of the same from the Obama clan, I cancel the request.

TXUS on August 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Two things:

Ok, this has been fun, but time for me to go.
Sleep tight. Bite the bed bugs!

chumpThreads on August 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I note that you put it all on the woman, without any reference to the man.

That further bolsters my earlier opinion that abortion is an easy out for liberal males like you, so you don’t have to face responsibility for your own cowardice and inherent refusal to be stand up men.

Thank you!

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

If the press wants to ask Ryan to define “forable rape” then they need to ask Obama to define “infantacide.”

29Victor on August 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I was screaming at the WH press conference yesterday for the reporters to come back and ask Blightbringer about his IL.legislation when he was blathering about Akin…what a missed opportunity….

hillsoftx on August 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

TXUS on August 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I’m content to just let things happen.

But what would be tons of fun is if, in the future, Obama’s daughters become staunch Conservatives who oppose abortion and eat steak five times a week. And they’re married to white men.

I truly believe God has a sense of humor when He weighs in against those who reject Him.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM

When I knew we were doomed as a nation was when Obama lied about his own voting record on the “Born Alive Act” caught on CNN video and the national media never mentioned it. He voted 3 times against the Born Alive Act, including once with the bill having Roe v Wade protection in the Bill just as the Senate one had that passed 99-0, yet Obama called those that pointed this fact out liars. The next day his campaign came out and admitted that Obama was mistaken about his own voting record.

Here is the video on CNN of Obama lying. It was never covered by the media after he lied.

Not only was he in favor of not helping babies after they were born in a botched abortion, but he was caught lying about it. Yet nothing!

KMav on August 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

“Recreational-related”?

chumpThreads on August 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Bless your heart if you don’t understand rape/non-rape sex.

And bless your heart as well if you think my post was about gun control.

rogerb on August 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Ok, this has been fun, but time for me to go.

chumpThreads on August 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Wow. Bayam’s flee-time is probably safe, but lester, you’ve got a run for your money.

rogerb on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Does anyone know how they do a late term abortion? It is so hideaus, barbaric it’s hard to imagine a Dr who takes the hypocratic oath would ever agree to do it.

Not only is obama OK with it (after all he doesn’t want one of his daughters punished with a baby), he held up a bill in Illinois that would insist Drs give life saving help to babies born of a late term abortion.

What they were doing is putting a live baby in a closet so that it’s crying wouldn’t bother the staff until it died.

A nurse who testified in illinois was crying and said she went and took the babies and rocked them until they died. She couldn’t stand it to think they were never held or loved.

What is wrong with this country and these women? We don’t seem to care about the very young, it’s not a big step to think we won’t care about the elderly.

How else do you save $ on obamacare? Abort or keep babies from being born and kill the elderly. Then there will be lots of room for illegals to come to this country vote for dems and take the jobs.

Bambi on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

What kind of a heartless maniac condones killing babies born ALIVE?

Oh, that’s right. Our presidential maniac…

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Bambi on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

The way to save money on Obamacare is to eliminate it.

Obama doesn’t care about the unborn. He’s already here and, in his view, “It ain’t me.”

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

What kind of a heartless maniac condones killing babies born ALIVE?

Oh, that’s right. Our presidential maniac…

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

And every other liberal who backs him, especially the trolls around here.

Then they get offended when we dismiss them and hold them in contempt.

“Who? Me?” is their perpetual cry of innocence.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Who in the hell cares? A woman has a right to choose. It’s not a man who chooses for us.

Get over it the damned social issues

If the GOP wants to continue down the social issues route, they will cease to exist. A quick death, instead of the slow death by self inflicted 1,000 cuts

Redford on August 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Conservatives and Republicans can multitask just like Liberals do with social issues..It’s a winning issue because the majority of americans are pro-life …life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness applies to all americans, including the unborn!!!

sadsushi on August 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I wish I had a nickel for every dispicable ‘pro-fetus-death’ placard has appeared on hubby’s FB page, from the lib side of the family !!
They’re so uncaring, I often have to get myself outside for some fresh air before I post something vile in return !!
Truthfully, I have PLENTY of truth/facts to come back with, but just by their posting it/them one knows they’re presently beyond hope. Only prayers can help, if He’s gracious toward them in the slightest ways.
Usually, I come back inside and hide those from our page, because it only makes my BP rise every time I see them .. not to mention the overwhelming feelings of sadness.
God have mercy.

pambi on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

(L’esprit de l’escalier)

“Was that you or me, Montana?”

rogerb on August 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Bambi on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

The nurse who went public about it is Jill Stanek. We were discussing her upthread. http://www.jillstanek.com/

She’s currently on a bus tour with other pro-life speakers for the purpose of exposing Obama’s record.

INC on August 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

pambi on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Abortion is a huge bagaboo for me, because I used to be for it. When it came down to brass tacks on the matter, my final decision resulted in my best friend: my son. And there is more, so much more, because I tirned my back on abortion and liberalism in general.

WE have to suck up evil all the time, deal with them while they try to destroy all we believe and even us, in the end. God never said us being among them is easy. But Christ did promise His yoke is easy, and it is.

I would offer you a reminder, if I dare: God is with us always. We always have place of heart, a home with a warm and waiting hearth. Liberals have no such thing like we do. They are always searching but never finding true peace.

I believe we have it.

Just some ideas.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Oh yes. Let’s have a battle over abortion. It’ll be rather difficult to paint Romney as more of a radical than Obama and I want everyone to learn that Obama is more radically pro-abortion than even NARAL,since even they didn’t oppose BAIPA. Then we can know once and for all just how far we as a country have fallen. I’ve had a feeling this election would come down to morality even if most want it to be about the economy. It’s that Romans 1 thing. The 40th anniversary of Roe v Wade will be mere days from the next inauguration. Nineveh had 40 days warning; we’ve had 40 years. I firmly believe our time to chose life is almost up. He set before us two ways, life and blessing or death and the curse. See God is pro choice, but He tends to treats the wrong choice harshly. It’s only fair since He does tell us which choice to make. To all the atheists and social libs, scoff if you like; it won’t embarrass me, but I’d do a little soul searching and look hard at scripture, history, and the state of the world if I were you. Romans 1 alone should clue you in. You have to be willfully blind to miss it.

pannw on August 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

pannw on August 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Everything you wrote is right, except the part that atheists do some soul-searching.

None come to God except by His Spirit. Those who willfully reject the Holy Spirit cannot honestly search their souls.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM

pambi on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

That must be so difficult. Liam offered some good words.

For myself, when I was young I thought I wanted to be a physician, and that meant I read a great deal of biology and human development. I always knew a baby is a baby from the moment of conception, and it was not only duplicitous to ever say anything else, but nonsensical in the extreme. I’m also a Christian, and Psalm 139 has been very important to me, as are the truths that each person bears God’s image, and that it is a terrible and wrong thing to willfully take innocent life.

INC on August 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

pambi on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I don’t know that this helps much, but you . . are . . not . . alone.

I have responded back to some of my kin with . . . well, I wouldn’t call it vile . . . but definitely confrontational.

As long as I’m going to log-on to facebook, I have to expect it.

Honestly, I haven’t been there much lately . . . . : )

listens2glenn on August 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM

While I personally detest abortion and would not have one (barring the circumstance of my life being threatened or the fetus have a fatal birth defect), I do believe it should be legal in the first trimester. I don’t think our tax dollars should support it, but if we were to make it illegal I really don’t think we’d reduce the incidence. We’d just have these abortions occurring under the table, billed by doctors as “miscarriages”. No one would ever be able to tell since miscarriages are so common in the first trimester (15-25%) that no one could really attribute the fetus’ cause of death to either an abortion or a miscarriage. After the first 12 weeks gestation, the chance of miscarriage drastically decreases and the chance of a fetus surviving to term is much higher (that is unless it has some sort of horrible defect).

People that treat all stage abortion the same always baffle me. The difference in fetal development is pretty drastic, even just comparing the first trimester to the second trimester. It makes no sense to treat a 6 week fetus/embryo as you would a 23 week fetus that has about a 50% of surviving with assistance. I don’t understand why in many states up until 24 weeks and 6 days a woman can have an abortion for any reason whatsoever. It is sickening to me. I still can’t wrap my head around how the pro-choice movement DEFENDS a woman’s choice of abortion past 14-16 weeks (barring fatal birth defects). If woman are going to make the choice to not decide to not go through a pregnancy, she should do so as soon as possible, not wait until there is someone who can feel pain and could survive outside the womb in another week. Late-term abortions are also not as safe as first trimester abortions, and in fact (I think) may be less safe than childbirth for the woman, but it seems like the far left abortion supporters don’t care. They don’t even care that the large majority of Americans DETEST late-term abortion.

epimom on August 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

“Panic”. It’s what Republicans are having for dinner.

chumpThreads

“Ass”. It’s where your head is.

You may get laid a lot, but I can’t see any woman truly loving you or any liberal male like you.

Liam

Can a goat love its molester?

xblade on August 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Two things:

chumpThreads on August 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Don’t be dense. The choice is still to kill or not to kill. There are only three ways to terminate a pregnancy:
1) Give birth. Pregnancy over – Child lives.
2) Miscarriage. A devastating naturally-caused loss for most women.
3) Deliberately kill the child through abortion.

Whether the choice is legal or not doesn’t change what it is, just like laws against mass murder don’t prohibit people like John Holmes from making the choice to commit a mass murder, or less gravely laws against speeding don’t prevent you from making the choice to exceed the speed limit.

Whether we like it or not or whether it’s legal or not doesn’t change the substance of what it IS: Abortion is the deliberate ending of a human life in the womb. Period. It logically and empirically cannot be anything else. An entire industry has been built around the notion of caring for your baby in your pregnancy from Day 1, as soon as you test positive and even beforehand. To believe that the ruling opinion of when life begins is the actual substance of the abortion debate is to be disingenuous and show a complete disregard for what can be known by basic common sense.

The debate should be about what would drive a woman to be so desperate that she would kill a child in her own womb, and what we can do as citizens to ensure those conditions never materialize or are mitigated through our compassion and care.

Thanks for playing, chump.

BKennedy on August 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Gotta say…I feel so bad for the Obama girls. Can you imagine having the parents they have? The lessons those girls are learning? Seriously, that just breaks my heart.

Note to self: Remember to pray for Obama’s daughters more often.

butterflies and puppies on August 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Obama is so pro-choice that infanticide was an acceptable outcome of an abortion.

Blue Collar Todd on August 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

The half-black in our White House is out of touch with me and mine.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM

The half-black in our White House is out of touch with me and mine.

Liam on August 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Psst… you’re not fooling anyone.

Go RBNY on August 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Telling the truth in 2008 was above Obama’s pay grade.

It still is.

ITguy on August 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Psst… you’re not fooling anyone.

Go RBNY on August 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Hey! What do you mean; are you calling me a racist? Some of my best friends are white!

Liam on August 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Condom: $1

First Trimester Abortion: $450

A reporter asking our president whether abortion is amounting to genocide on the African American community:

Priceless.

=======================================

The pop media injecting abstinence into plot lines and bios:

About 1% of a film’s budget

Seminars on sex education for Republican Senatorial candidates and Roman Catholic Bishops:

$5000 each

A dependable contraceptive:

Priceless.

IlikedAUH2O on August 23, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Note to self: Remember to pray for Obama’s daughters more often.

butterflies and puppies on August 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yep. They are turning into mini versions of Mooch. And given what a nasty person she is, that isn’t a good thing.

Happy Nomad on August 23, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I am pro-life, but over the last few years, I’ve become quite pro-abortion. If liberalism is a mental disease, many mental illnesses run in the family, and liberals are vastly more likely to abort….

Just sayin’ is all. It’s still a horrendous practice, but the enemy is only hurting itself.

If you want to end abortion, every person with a conservative point-of-view needs to homeschool or send their kids to private schools. Without other people’s children to indoctrinate in the public school system and propagate their belief system, the left will stop killing their own. It’ll become an existential crisis. I posit that the only reason they’re still around is because they can turn enough children of conservative parentage to their point-of-view to offset the number of children they don’t give birth to, abort, or give up for adoption to conservatives.

And hey, when liberals decide they need to start birthing again, that’ll help fix the Social Security age imbalance! Bonus!

mintycrys on August 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Bambi on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Great post.
Despite what liberals(and some who call themselves conservatives unfortunately) want to believe, there is evil in the world. And people who do this sort of thing, are evil, and the ones who condone it are there with them, or they are just so blinded they cannot recognize the evil.

Sterling Holobyte on August 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM