Akin: “I don’t know the future”

posted at 8:41 am on August 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Great news for anti-establishment types in the GOP: Todd Akin has your back.  The man who has been in Congress has a mission in this election, which is to fight against “party bosses” who want him out of the election.  You know, the “party bosses” like, er, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Michelle Malkin, et al.  If that wasn’t clear, Akin manages to mention “party bosses” three times in the first minute or so of his interview on ABC’s Good Morning America.  But even with that in mind, Akin’s still not quite sure he’ll stay in the race:

Here’s what Missouri Congressman Todd Akin said when I asked if he was in the race to stay – even if it looked like he would lose and possibly cost Republicans control of the Senate.

“Well George, I’m never going to say everything that could possibly happen. I don’t know the future, but I do know this. I know that the Party voters took a look at our hearts, understood who we were, had a chance to meet us in many, many different ways and made a decision,” Akin told me. “And it makes me uncomfortable to think that the party bosses are going to dictate who runs as opposed to the election process.”

Stehpanopoulos wondered aloud how the idea that women’s uteri could fight off rapist sperm got into Akin’s head. Akin chose to ignore that question, sticking instead to his apology and his belief that his pro-life principles will get him elected anyway:

The congressman, who sits on the House Science Committee, also admits that statement was medically wrong.

“The point of the matter is that, yes, pregnancy can happen as a result of rape. I understand that and I’ve acknowledged that fact. At the same time I don’t apologize for the fact that I’m consistently pro-life. I believe in defending the unborn and I believe that based on those kinds of principles I can win this race,” he said.

So, Akin won’t drop out of the race … maybe. The old line of attack, “liberal media,” seems to have been discarded for “party bosses,” even though it’s almost as ridiculous in this context. Yes, some “party bosses” wanted him to withdraw, but so did a lot of people who could hardly be called party bosses. Some of them are barely in the party at all. I think Akin needs a little more work on his messaging.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Todd Akin, our own little Richie Rich. Surely MO has patriot whose IQ is higher than his/her personal ambition. I hope the Party Bosses and the non-Party bosses are looking right this minute for that person. I’d send money to the right person.

Portia46 on August 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Amen! Do it!

mrscullen on August 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM

They’re already doing it. Here is a blog post discussing Dan Bongino in Maryland picking up endorsements and momentum. Political stories like this always have a funny way of turning out like no one expected. Even if Akin steps down and the GOP gets someone else in there to run, what this crisis has done is focus voters’ attention on how important winning the Senate is if they want obamacare repealed — which large majorities of them do. There are going to be a lot of voters going to the polls in November who will vote for Romney, but who also planned to sort of nonchalantly vote for their incumbent democrat senator. After this Akin mess, though, they now understand, probably for the first time for many of them, that winning the Senate is just as important as winning the White House to get obamacare repealed. Claire McCaskill might have saved herself, but she has sacrificed other democrat colleagues to do so, and she has made obamacare — something barack doesn’t even want to talk about — a major issue in this campaign again.

Rational Thought on August 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

It’s Akin’s position that a woman who is raped should not have access to an abortion that is the bigger problem. If that is accepted as the GOP position on abortion then Obama will be re-elected.

Basilsbest on August 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

That is a problem but Akin’s position on abortion, including in the case of rape, has not been a secret. It is a minority view within the GOP even if a few zealots keep managing to get it in the party platform.

What is new are his views on the relationship between “legitimate rape”, the odds of pregnancy, and the screwball pseudo-science nonsense he spewed.

The clown insulted every woman who has been raped and become pregnant, and every woman who has been raped and was afraid she might become pregnant, which is almost all of them. The moron said a woman’s attitude about being raped plays large role in whether or nor she becomes pregnant. He is an idiot.

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Well I do not have a horse in THIS race … Burr won last time …
Hagen is up next time ….

conservative tarheel on August 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Akin: “I don’t know the future”

Translated: “I can see unemployment from my house!”

Physics Geek on August 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

This Christian does not endorse Akins’ Senate run.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Well, don’t get me wrong. I have zero problem with people expressing their faith and doing so loudly and however they want, but I have a problem when a primary criterion for a subset of voters seems to be the frequency with which the candidates talk about Jesus and the Bible. It’s like they are looking for a preacher, not an effective public official. This can potentially leave us with unelectable candidates. I mean, is this all they care about? To her credit, Sarah Palin has made some smart and responsible endorsements (not counting the Newt support), taking into consideration a WIDE range of issues and putting a strong focus on electability. Some of the primary voters seem to totally disregard the electability issue and don’t take into account crucial fiscal policies. They seem so selfish and self-indulgent. Now, I’d be hard pressed to find a stronger supporter of Romney than myself (well, maybe that guy who is driving around the country in his truck promoting Romney has me beat), and I couldn’t care less what his religious beliefs are.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Sarah Palin – Party Boss

See hotAir’s new thread..:)

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I bet that got you, one of HotAir’s most prolific Palin worshipers, all excited and worked up… :-)

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

omg you guys

did you know…

that akin is pro-life?

i totally didn’t know that!!! good thing he told me 37243582 times in this interview.

Sachiko on August 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

He apologized. He is doesn’t have to change his position on abortion. Does every democrat believe as Obama does that babies that survive abortion should be left to die? Does the dictate for federal funding of abortions rests on the rape/incest argument now? If so we have a perfect opportunity to limit it to that and that alone.

Most people opposed to federal funding of abortion can make that accomadation I would bet.

DanMan on August 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

you know, i’m Christian and i care more about the opposite problem: people in our politically correct society who are too afraid to stand up for their Christian beliefs because political correctness says that Christianity is “hateful” “bigoted” “intolerant” etc. when i see a politician or any other public figure unapologetically talk about their Christian faith it makes me happy.

Sachiko on August 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Yep, pretty much the entire Republican party and base other than your paid insiders (who will be unemployed if you quit), want you out bonehead.

Geesh the arrogance.

This idiot embodies everything the left wants America to believe about Republicans. What a douche.

mitchellvii on August 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Thoguh I have criticized Palin in the past, I have to say that she has been wonderful during this whole Akin debacle. I have faith that she will do all in her power to make sure that we retake the Senate. She doesn’t seem willing to let us lose even MO. Palin does seem to be putting the country first. Akin, on the other hand… well, Akin is loving being the center of attention, it seems.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

But that’s operating under the assumption that this man is rational.

Doughboy on August 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM

True and the interviews I heard on Hannity’s radio show leaves that issue in doubt. But the reality is that without financial backing and with GOP pressure, he’ll cut a deal. There really isn’t a groundswell of support though I am shocked at the number of truly stupid people who seem to think the GOP should be standing behind this idiot Huckabee mini-me.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

…prolley!…but the chair they’re sitting in most certainly isn’t dripping soaking wet…needing mops and buckets in the immediate area… if the name Mitt comes up!

KOOLAID2 on August 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Insane as this may be, the evidence is leading me to think Akin is some kind of Dem sleeper agent. He takes a slam dunk win and says the one stupid and insulting thing that fits right into the Dem meme. Now he’s railing against party bosses, by which he can only mean Romney. The economy, Israel Iran Biden are all off the front page and the NOW and NARAL nags are energized and the social conservatives are mad that Akin is under Romney’ s bus..

xkaydet65 on August 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

….OH wait!
I forgot this!
(;->)
…that makes anything I say….better!

KOOLAID2 on August 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

this dumbass sits on the house science committee? there’s some weapons grade supidity right there, talking about party bosses. clueless doesn’t begin to describe this moron.

exceller on August 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Sachiko on August 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM

What’s that got to do with Akin’s moronic comments? It would be one thing if it were just the legitimate rape thing but the whole discussion of women having a reproductive gag reflex when raped really killed his career. And I’m all for people being unapologetically pro-life and/or Christian but you don’t torpedo the possibility of gaining the majority in the Senate by defending the moron that made some really ignorant comments.

And now thanks to Akin, every single GOP candidate will be grilled on their views of abortion following rape. Akin brought down more than just his own undistinquished political career and for that I am thinking some decidedly unChristian things about the man and stupid people defending his staying in the race.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Sachiko on August 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM

That’s all well and good, but let’s just remember that Akin’s problem is not talking about his faith. Akin’s problem is that he revealed himself to be an ignoramus who is clueless about human biology and a totally inept and in fact counterproductive spokesperson for the pro-life cause. In seemingly and unnecessarily casting suspicion on many rape claims and doing so in such a flippant way, while letting us know that he gets his information from quacky psuedo science reports, Akin handed Dems a HUGE gift that could cause us serious, serious damage. This is not one gaffe… this feeds into and gives longlasting life to their stupid “war on women” meme. It’s like he is a Democrat plant the way he is now allowing the campaign debate to be framed EXACTLY how the Democrats want it to be.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

…that makes anything I say….better!

KOOLAID2 on August 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I dunno’, it was pretty hard to beat as it was.

Funny
short
clean

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Is this guy going to keep himself in the news and keep granting interviews now?

Well thanks again Todd for continuing to perpetuate this story until every low info voter in the country is able to associate you and your lunacy with the GOP. You’re the gift that just keeps on giving…

lynncgb on August 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM

The only good thing about this Akin mess is he didn’t wait until October to crap the bed on national TV.

I am profoundly disappointed the GOP didn’t find a way to make this worm go the hell away. The Democrats would have.

NoDonkey on August 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Mr. Akin is trying to paint himself as the victim.
The people in Missouri are the victims.
Todd Akin, by his insensitive and stupid remarks and ill-preparedness for a typical question, has let the people of Missouri down.
Has Todd Akin helped the pro-life cause? NO!
Has Todd Akin helped further the cause of conservatism? NO!
Has Todd Akin let the people down? YES!
Mr. Akin is a wounded candidate, and he expects the people to drag his crippled ass across the finish line. His own narcissism blinds him to the reality that he is now the underdog.
Mr. Akin acts like he is the only pro-life candidate.
ALL THE MISSOURI GOP CANDIDATES WERE PRO-LIFE!
Mr. Akin, you are hurting Missouri, hurting the cause, and hurting the country.

Mark7788 on August 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Akin’s problem is that he revealed himself to be an ignoramus who is clueless about human biology and a totally inept and in fact counterproductive spokesperson for the pro-life cause. In seemingly and unnecessarily casting suspicion on many rape claims and doing so in such a flippant way, while letting us know that he gets his information from quacky psuedo science reports, Akin handed Dems a HUGE gift that could cause us serious, serious damage. This is not one gaffe… this feeds into and gives longlasting life to their stupid “war on women” meme. by bluegill @9:55

This is what has me so concerned. The complete medieval ludicrous nature of his comments

djl130 on August 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Yeah, but those people aren’t really relevant except to people who follow these things, like us, and the party bosses can be relevant from the guy’s perspective.

Buddahpundit on August 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Check out these facts:

1. Aborted babies had beating hearts
2. Their arms and legs are pulled off their bodies before their torso is suctioned out
OR
3. their brains are vacuumed out of their skull before their body is expelled
4. If you were born after Roe v. Wade, this could have been YOUR fate

Meditate on those facts for a few moments.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

OK. 1. My mother’s pet cat has a beating heart, as does the preying mantis in my front yard. 2. Surgery is gross. 3. Surgery is gross. 4. Well, I wasn’t aborted.

Your arguments are pathetic.

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

lynncgb on August 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM

This man is doing more harm to the pro-life movement than anyone has in years. His original ignorant comments, along with his weak apology and especially his more recent assertions that he believes he really didn’t say anything that bad except for perhaps choosing a wrong word or two, make it so easy for abortion activists to paint all pro-lifers as ignorant, callous, anti-woman, rape-denying and anti-science zealots. It’s like he is a left-wing fantasy caricature of a conservative come to life! Someone needs to get the hook out and yank this nutter off the public stage.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

The guy looks like Beavis with a comb-over. That adds to the annoyance factor.

michaelthomas on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

He apologized. He is doesn’t have to change his position on abortion.

DanMan on August 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Apologizing for being really stupid doesn’t make you clever.

If I say “you’re fat because you trust in god; oh, and you aren’t Methodist, because God makes Methodists thin… and if you’re a fat Methodist god hates you”

Then decide “whoops sorry; that probably isn’t correct”.

Do you think the fat Methodists who I insulted are going to say “well that’s ok, no harm done”?

No, they’re going to say “well at least you eventually figured out you’re stupid”… but they aren’t going to vote for me, are they?

I’m not sure how apologizing for saying something both offensive and brutally stupid and clueless makes everything better. It’s good that he understands WHY he needs to apologize, but given the idiotic things he said an apology doesn’t give him credibility for intelligence in the future.

gekkobear on August 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Your arguments are pathetic.

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Even if you were right about that statement, your argument is creepily nihilistic.

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

ALL THE MISSOURI GOP CANDIDATES WERE PRO-LIFE!
Mr. Akin, you are hurting Missouri, hurting the cause, and hurting the country.

Mark7788 on August 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

It was a measure of Akin’s stupidity that he even agreed to the interview.

There were not 5 votes in all of Missouri to be mined by talking about abortion.

Anyone in MO who votes on this single issue knows full well which candidate is pro-life and which candidate is pro-abortion.

All Akin had to do was keep his damned mouth shut for 10 weeks and he couldn’t even manage that.

matthew8787 on August 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Mr. Akin sunk his own ship.
He did it himself.
Now he has the gall to ask the voters of Missouri to retrieve his wrecked ship, try to repair and rebuild that ship, bring it to the surface, and try to win the race.
He is asking Missourians for alot.
And all because he is stubbornly narcissistic.
Let’s see……who else in public office could we put that label on?
Oh yeah, President Obama!

Mark7788 on August 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Someone needs to get the hook out and yank this nutter off the public stage.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I know.

Somebody please…go tackle this guy.

lynncgb on August 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM

ahem

This entire kerfuffle is a case of GOP choking on gnats while swallowing the proverbial camel.

Since when does DNC carry the banner for rape sensitivity?

People in glass houses should not cast stones.

Terp Mole on August 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Your arguments are pathetic.

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Easier rundown… what magical property happens during a trip down the birth canal?

At 5 months (and dropping) the fetus can live as a C-section if allowed; so “can’t survive on its own without the mother” goes out the window.

But many abortion supporters support late-term abortion. Why is getting pushed out the point at which killing you is murder; but 5 minutes before it’s ok to just kill you?

You’re also lacking logical consistency and believing in a “magical” or “mystical” start to life without any rational or scientific bearing. Unless you can scientifically show me why a person isn’t real until they’ve been pushed down the birth canal (or given a C-section I guess; which seems much different).

gekkobear on August 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

The Dems will be rallying around Akin covertly to prop up his God-given ego with “Praise the Lord, stay in the race you hero for the fetuses!” concern trolling encouragement.

He’s too good a loon to let go of.

He could hurt Ryan enough to damage Romney enough for Obama to pull off a squeaker win.

Thanks Todd!

profitsbeard on August 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I know the future, Akin. YOU ARE DONE !

The question is, how many GOP races will you hurt by being stubborn.?

stenwin77 on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM

“I don’t know the future”

Oh I do.

You are a loser and will be a loser and everything remotely associated with you, will lose.

If you care at all about this country, resign today you thick-skulled moron.

NoDonkey on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Akin: “I don’t know the future”

A brief moment of clarity….

rukiddingme on August 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Todd Akin is quickly turning this moderate social con into a social libertarian. This guy is a creep and if this is the prevailing thinking inside the social conservative movement, I need to reconsider.

I am personally pro life, but anti white preacher idiot (with requisite combover) who thinks he has moral authority over a raped woman.

PS – The Dems and Hollywood could not paint a better caricature of an old creepy Christian wingnut. Thank you Baby Jesus – and pass the bucket of chicken.

kevinkristy on August 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Yup.

the_nile on August 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Your arguments are pathetic.

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Cool! So it would be okay with you if I pull your cat’s legs apart before I kill it. Or suck it’s brains out with a hose.

Your arguments are evil.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

This idea has been floating around pro-life circles for decades. It’s just a symptom of the inveterate dishonesty of the pro-life movement. My personal favorite bit of pro-life dishonesty is about abortion causes breast cancer, because it is so pervasive in pro-life literature.

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I ran into the birth of magic birth control against rape in pro-life circles. It’s a rather despicable source, Maureen Dowd, but I doubt she is wrong in this one case. (I read Dowd to know where the left is coming from. I find her despicable for the most part.)

Dr. John Willke, a former president of the National Right to Life Committee …[is] father of the inanity about rape victims being able to turn back sperm if they put their mind and muscles to it.

The nutty doctor hypothesized: “This is a traumatic thing. She’s, shall we say, she’s uptight.” Adding, “She is frightened, tight, and so on. And sperm, if deposited in her vagina, are less likely to be able to fertilize. The tubes are spastic.”

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

kevinkristy on August 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

That is EXACTLY how I have been feeling recently. Well put.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

What disgusts me no end is this twit offering himself up to the MSM as the victim. The previous week, Romney & Ryan were sweeping the floor with Obama and Biden. Numbers were turning in their favor. Then Akin goes all Biden and kills the momentum stone dead.

It’s one thing to apologize and hang in there because you think its morally the right thing to do. But to say ‘Hey, I won the primary, get over it! You should back me to the hilt.’ just won’t feed the bull dog! He got a lot of Dem $ to push him over his primary opposition – just barely. Now instead of letting the the kerfluffle die down, he’s stirring the pot again at every opportunity, givin Obama and company a big sigh of relief that the focus can now be turned away from their dismal performance.

Thanks for nothing, Akin!!!

Bob in VA on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for nothing, Akin!!!

It’s a 65 year old spoiled child.
Bob in VA on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM

the_nile on August 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM

kevinkristy on August 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Me too. I have thoughts on how to deal with this, but until I can articulate them patiently and without the anger I am feeling, they are best kept to myself. And, may I say, Sarah Palin really did not help this matter any – there were three people to split the vote.

djl130 on August 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

The question is, how many GOP races will you hurt by being stubborn.?

stenwin77 on August 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Here in Virginia, George Allen is in a tight race with Tim Kaine. Akin slimed Allen by changing the focus from jobs and the economy to Allen’s position on abortion. The ignoramus has done that to every single Republican candidate in every single election. The entire GOP is being grilled candidate by candidate thanks to this one very stupid man.

And the worst part is that Akin doesn’t care. Hannity asked him if he could live with himself if he cost the GOP the Senate majority by his stupidity (my words). Akin just rambled on about American exceptionalism or something.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

But as on Good Morning America, Mr. Akin reaffirmed his intent to stay in for now. “It’s not about me. It’s about doing the right thing and standing on principle,” he said.

No, it’s actually all about you Mr. Akin. Exactly what “principle” are you standing on?

Marcus Traianus on August 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM

So, Akin was elected multiple times to Congress, and NOW all this is coming up? Did his views “evolve” suddenly, or how else could he have flown under the radar and been bounced from office long before this?

fortcoins on August 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM

sb..”and not have been bounced…”

fortcoins on August 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Bob in VA on August 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Akin said yesterday that he misspoke but did nothing morally wrong- true but irrelevant. Akin found himself in a gotcha situation and he was decidedly got. In the aftermath he has been playing the victim as if apologizing makes it all go away. The political equivilent of having the jury disregard a previous statement.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Translated: “I can see unemployment from my house!”

Physics Geek on August 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

X-D I actually LOL’ed!

MelonCollie on August 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I’m sick of this story and of seeing this man’s face. Unreal. The country is going to hell and one Republican in Missouri says something stupid – and that’s all the media will talk about. I’m afraid we are truly in the “end days” of this republic.

TarheelBen on August 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Do we really need wall to wall coverage of this?

Kjeil on August 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Akin first argued that raped women can repel a rapist’s sperm by “shutting down”, and now he accepts that raped women can become pregnant (what a breakthrough insight!).

After this second admission, what was the point of his original statement then?

Other than to prove himself a flapgum moron?

profitsbeard on August 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

If he wants to survive, he’s got to make sure that his apology gets out there and is accepted. That’s going to take money, and if the state and national Republican parties and committees are dropping him, he’s going to have to use either his own funds and/or make sure he can get enough private funding.

From there, he needs to make sure he can stay on message and watch his mouth. Claire can’t run on much of anything positive. Akin has given her a huge issue to run against him on, but if he’s smart, and the apology is accepted by the Missouri electorate, he can bring the race back to Medicare and the economy.

There’s always a possibility he can still win this race, but his chances certainly went from so-so leaning yes to a very long shot maybe.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Akin family gives the Phelps family a run for their money.

the_nile on August 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

His Campaign office number works again – you need to let it ring 1000 x’s – but the mail box works. Leave a message – bombard him – call all of his numbers:

Campaign – 636-207-7986
Congressional off MO – 314-590-0029
Congressional Off DC – 202-225-2561

Bombard him.

djl130 on August 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM

The media is going to continue to make hay about this, to drag this as long as possible.

Akin is the Republican candidate, even if the Republican party has effectively dropped him.

I suspect many Missourians will still vote for him because they’ll be voting a straight Republican ticket and/or won’t vote for Claire anyhow. There will be many however who would normally have voted for Akin but probably won’t vote for anyone in the Senate race.

Mr. Akin needs to stay on issue from now to election day, the economy. Claire and the media are going to try to make it about rape and his comments.

Conservatives, Republicans, etc., you’re either going to have to vote for him, vote third party or not vote for anyone in that particular race. No matter what, you’re only feeding into the left/Dem’s hands if you continue to make the race about Akin’s blunder.

Move on, bring it back to the economy.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM

fortcoins on August 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Ron Paul has been elected 13 times to Congress, so being reelected to the House is hardly any mark of the sanity of a person’s view. (I agree with Ron Paul on a wide range of issues, but still he’s nuts.)

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM

We are all Party Bosses Now.

Buy Danish on August 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

The problem which Akin and his supporters (—> Huckabee) fail to see is that this was not a “misplacement of words.” But an admittance of true, and utter, ignorance.

How does a 65 yo man just discover two days ago that, um, raped woman don’t have special powers to block sperm.

And this isn’t some guy in a barroom down in Alabama. This man is a 6 term Congressman, who sat on the House Committee on Science (with access to some of the best think tanks, studies and research in the world.) The guy is an intellectual lightweight. And if he stays in, he’ll lose by a minimum of 50 points.

kevinkristy on August 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I voted for Mr. Akin in the primary. I’ll be voting for him on election day. I forgive him for his blunder as does my wife because we understand his intent.

So many of y’all love to talk pragmatics, about winning and getting control. Well, so many of y’all are willing to leave the man out to dry because of his dunderheaded statement.

He’s staying in the race. You can vote for him or not.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

We are all Party Bosses Now.

Buy Danish on August 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

All we need is that smoke-filled room…

changer1701 on August 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

and I couldn’t care less what his religious beliefs are.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

For me it’s not “couldn’t care less”…but religion is down the list in priorities.

Morality, however, is not. I don’t agree with Romney’s faith, but I know Mormons are, by and large, moral people with strong values.

That’s good enough for me–I’m voting for a politician, not a preacher.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Weird. Akin looks like Lisa Murkowski with a combover. Are they related? They have the same ridiculous sense of self-importance.

natasha333 on August 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

He’s staying in the race. You can vote for him or not.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It was not “dunderheaded” – it was ignorant beyond belief. The man is STUPID. Yes, he will receive some votes. Maybe even 40 whole percent! But, he will lose. Intelligent independents will NOT vote for him. If I lived there, I would have to go vote for Romney and just leave the senate box unchecked… or write in a name.

djl130 on August 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I’m NOT defending him. Neither is Sachiko.

I want Akin gone…today, preferably (yesterday would have been even better).

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Actually I believe Mr. Akin was referencing some research on the issue. Whether it’ shoddy or not is of course irrelevant to just the plain stupidity of talking about it as a politician running for an office.

Apparently the research is shoddy, but he wasn’t just pulling a comment out of his butt. And, overarching all of that, he actually had a reasonable argument concerning rape and abortion, it’s just that he should have stuck to the standard script instead of going off the plantation with his remarks.

I do not doubt that some women have gotten abortions and claimed to have been raped so that they can get the abortion.

I personally believe that abortion should be illegal in all cases with the possible exception of the life of the mother being in danger, but even then that could/probably is abused to as a reason.

The left is sitting back watching the right do contortions over this. You all are making far more about this than they are. They’re just slowly fanning the flames which you’re feeding. They’re going to work off of all of your efforts.

If Claire wins, it’ll be just as much due to what Mr. Akin said as it will be because of how much the right/Republicans have abandoned Mr. Akin.

Move back on to the economy, Medicare, etc. Mr. Akin’ staying in the race. Live with it. Deal with it.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM

He’s staying in the race. You can vote for him or not.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

He’s the selfish one, Logus. HE’S the one leaving you, your wife, and everyone who voted for him out on the line to dry.

He had a chance to do the noble thing. He didn’t do it. Why remains a mystery, but I think it has a lot to do with EGO. Why else would he be so stubborn in the face of so much opposition? Does he believe he’s the ONLY ONE who can save our nation? And do you want someone in office who has such grandiose views of himself?

It’s okay for you to have voted for him in the primary and not support him in the general. You don’t “owe him” your vote.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

An apology from Akin is far more than we ever got from Clinton — or from his Democratic supporters who subsequently made the distinction between rape and “rape-rape” in yet another famous case.

After all, how could Clinton — or Polanski for that matter — have possibly done what they did without the saving possibility of Planned Parenthood — the Planned Parenthood who, at the vanguard of our American sexual revolution, helps keep the identity of a 21 year old soccer coach impregnators of 14 year old girls a secret?

unclesmrgol on August 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

He’s staying in the race. You can vote for him or not.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

If it were just you people in MO voting stupidly, I’d say fine. You all are making a six-year mistake and will have to live with the fact that your bone-headed candidate handed the election to McCaskill. But thanks to Akin, my candidate for Senate is being grilled over his views on abortion when he really needs to be hammering home the lousy job Tim Kaine did as governor.

It’s more than just “pragmatics.” Your filthy candidate gave a gift to the entire Dem machine by reframing the focus on abortion instead of the stuff that matters. Akin deserves more than just to be “left out to dry” if the Senate stays in Dem hands or Obama gets re-elected. If either happens, Akin will be rightfully crucified.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

He’s staying in the race. You can vote for him or not.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

This is not about him and his feelings and wanting to do what’s right for him. He’s a big boy and will get over it. The fact is he is toxic and unelectable at this point, and it is all through his own doing. If he truly cared about the country, he would step aside and let someone who shares his values win this thing.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

A little birdy needs to tell the staff of assclown Akin that when this goes down, they will never work another campaign again. They will be personas non grada at the very least. They will need to sell used cars.

Robb on August 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM

unclesmrgol on August 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Yeah, yeah, we know all about the double standard. We can whine about that all day and night, and it won’t get us anywhere. The fact is we have to be smart. And we have to win. No more just whining about the double standard and excusing our own side’s screw-ups. Akin and only Akin is responsible for this situation. His ignorance, ongoing displays of selfishness, delusions, denial, his total ineptness at being a spokesperson for conservatives and the fact that this man is like a hand-wrapped present for the Democrats all lead to one thing — he is not fit to be our candidate. Does he care about the issues, or does he care about more about Todd Akin? We shall see if he steps aside in the very near future… and it better be soon because the convention is coming up. I would love to see Akin’s replacement/the write-in candidate (Talent or whoever) get a nice little last-minute speaking slot during the convention.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM

We’d love to focus on the economy. But that’s not the way the game is played (unfairly or not).

A refresher: Obama and the media invent a shiny new object to discuss every week – to avoid debating the (Obama train wreck of an) economy? Things like tax returns, dogs, cancer victims, etc.

Well, they no longer need to invent any new distractions as long as Pastor Dr Akin remains in the race. They will just run on defeating Romney/Ryan/Akin.

Here’s a tip: Todd Akin is not worth risking it all. He’s a 65 yo a career back bencher who is proven to be intellectually bankrupt.

kevinkristy on August 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I feel bad for the guy. He misspoke and used a bad argument from information he received from doctors who clearly didn’t know what they were talking about. He has apologized for his misuse of words and he has cleared up his position.

Democrats have done far worse and received little to no calls for withdraw or stepping down by their own party.

Yet this guys makes a mistake, yeah it was a bad one, and he is all but exiled from the country. Geez. I think the republican party leaders can at least acknowledge that he has addressed the issue and made his position known and that he misspoke. No one is perfect, I know I am not the most eloquent speaker at all times, I doubt most people are.

I say cut the guy some slack. The democrats cut their guys slack and they usually end up being elected. What they are doing to this guys is way over the top.

cmc on August 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Akin’s platform IS the same as the GOP’s platform. You can run from Akin, but you can’t hide from yourselves.

All Akin did was put out in the open what Republicans believe in secret. But yeah, definitely not a good fit for the Romney campaign’s ethos of secrecy.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM

The world view of most Republicans is Me-Firstism masked as self-reliance, and backstabbing moral cowardice as well as intolerance pretending to be integrity.

Not surprised to see you all chew up and spit out one of your own when it’s politically expedient. Akin’s views on abortion and rape are in line with the GOP’s national platform.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

BTW, I read somewhere about the Missouri Constitution Party which
may have an opening on the ballot. I can’t find any info on this,
however. This may be what Palin was referring to. Having Steelman
run third party. What a wild ride that would be!

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Forget it! Under Missouri’s “sore loser law”, Steelman cannot run for another party, cannot run as an independent, cannot run as a third-party candidate, cannot register as a write-in candidate (and votes for a non-registered write-in candidate will not be counted in a contested race).
The only way that Steelman can run is if Akin withdraws and the GOP ‘appoints’ her to run in his stead.
If every voter in MO wrote her in and she wasn’t registered (which she cannot do), the race would go to the runner-up.

Solaratov on August 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

By your line of reasoning, I suppose that it is correct to assume that all democRATs are homosexual pederasts – ala Kerry Gauthier.
That would be a pretty fair assumption, wouldn’t it?

Solaratov on August 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

That would be a pretty fair assumption, wouldn’t it?

Solaratov on August 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Not even a good try, really. Try again.

Except for the crazy human biology, the core tenets of Akin are IDENTICAL to the friggin national GOP platform. This isn’t about some party eccentric’s weird behavior.

It’s about YOU and your platform, and even more, about your moral cowardice in the face of national scrutiny.

Same cowardice at work when Republicans are always so willing to send other men to die in foreign wars. Cowards.

You guys are wusses, plain and simple.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Robb on August 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM

That’s a great idea. If all his staff quits on him he might wake up.

slickwillie2001 on August 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Solaratov on August 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

You can’t reason with bacteria.

slickwillie2001 on August 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM

You guys are wusses, plain and simple.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM

And, you – brave one – served in the military…when?
You did stand up for your country’s defense…didn’t you?
When? Nancy-boy? You’re a fine one to call anyone a ‘wuss’, princess.

Solaratov on August 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Regarding those “party bosses” — Roy Blunt, John Ashcroft, Kit Bond, John Danforth, and Jim Talent have all been elected by the people of Missouri.

They have credibility, something Todd Akin has lost and will never get back.

J Baustian on August 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

J Baustian on August 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

And if Akin would withdraw, it would be great to see any of them drafted by the GOP.
But a third-party or write-in campaign for any of them would likely fail. Everybody here in MO always talks about “third-party” and “write in somebody else” – but it never happens.
Only if Akin takes it upon himself to withdraw – and soon – will anyone else have a chance.

Solaratov on August 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM

We have a few Doctors in the Senate and wonder if any of them have weighed in on this.

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Putting aside his use of the wrong word “legitimate” and his wrongly believing bad intel about rape and pregnancy, his real views are in line with the party platform. The RNC is still, rightly, sticking to the belief that abortion should not occur even in the case of rape.

Akin should keep repeating his right to life views that a baby is his/her own person with his/her own rights and reiterate that abortion should be illegal and is murderous of a person who has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The conservative pundits need to brush off his gaff and also reiterate the right to life regardless of the circumstances that brought about life.

cmc on August 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

They have credibility, something Todd Akin has lost and will never get back.

J Baustian on August 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Doesn’t matter – this guy was selected democratically by Republican voters. Maybe they should have selected “better” but what’s done is done. Anyone arguing at this point for him drop out is UN-DEMOCRATIC and there is no other way you can damn slice it – so OWN THAT.

GOP – THE PARTY THAT CHANGES THE RULES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME! Oh my! How many of us would have LOVED to have dumped LOOSER McRage from the ticket in 2007 when “suspended” his campaign – making himself look like a complete imbecile. Yet – no one called for that. We nominated a quack in 2007 and we stuck with him. Missouri GOP nominated a quack for Senate this year and they need to keep him.

What’s the procedure for replacing the guy? Are you gonna pick Sarah’s girl? Or the Ayatollah’s boy? Because both of those cats got about 28 percent of the vote each – so which one is it?

Oh – but we already know which one it will be – it will be the GOP Ayatollah’s pick!

Elections have consequences. Vote for the Libertarian guy if you can’t stand Akin. Otherwise – you got a choice between a guy who has some quirky views on abortion – and a gal who was the major national cheerleader for ObamaCare.

HondaV65 on August 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM

The congressman, who sits on the House Science Committee

Oh, the irony!

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

HondaV65 on August 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Wow, a conservative with integrity. A rare thing in the noodle-as-spine Romney universe.

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Tod Akins only mistake.

He was too conservative for the Party Bosses.

The “Party Bosses” wanted him out the day he won.

The “Party Bosses” had a plan ready to use if anyone like Todd Akins happened to win a Senate Race they would not tolerate another Christine O’Donnell or Sharon Angle (both who fairly won their primaries). Thus when Todd won they carefully examined every statement he made to see if there was anything they could blow out of all proportion. They tried five times until they came up with this one. This was totally top down Party Boss caused. Look at those that first called on him to step down. All the most prominent RINOS. Scott Brown, Olympia Snow, Mitch McConnel, Mitt Romney. Then they lied that there was a 48 hour window when there is actually a month to put pressure on others to join their coup.

I hope he never drops out. If he does then the peoples will from now on will mean nothing. The people will have no right to choose a candidate. The “Party Bosses” will force anyone out they do not like. Welcome to Soviet Style politics.

Tod Akins, contrary to all the lies, is very well spoken and has been mostly the same for 22 long years in the US House. He has been very Pro Life that entire time. The people of Missouri knew him well all these issues were debated for a year and he won fair and square. He is very well spoken and very intelligent. He made a very stupid statement that came from Huckabee and Evangelist like him. Now they said the same thing with no real outcry.

I was not for this man supporting Sarah Tilgman but this is who the people choose. He has committed no crime and immediately retracted this statement. No crime he should stay in. We should never kick out a candidate for their opinions after they won an election. The people knew his views and elected him.

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM

In general you are correct. But the plank does not say that woman can’t get pregnant via rape. So nice try.

Conservatives want to kill the rapist. And save the baby.

Liberals want to save the rapist. And kill the baby.

kevinkristy on August 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM

bifidis on August 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Yesterday there was a long article about how the left and the right ignore their platforms. Most blacks are vehemently opposed to gay marriage, for just one example.

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM

GOP – THE PARTY THAT CHANGES THE RULES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME!

THE PARTY WITH SECRET RULES DISQUALIFYING CHOICES THE VOTERS MAKE.

They actually planed this in advance.

The Party Bosses could care less about the will of the people.

It is all about power and they are clinging on to it. They will not share it with they people that put them in office. These Party Bosses know better than the people that vote.

Boot out the Party Bosses.

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM