Akin: “I don’t know the future”

posted at 8:41 am on August 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Great news for anti-establishment types in the GOP: Todd Akin has your back.  The man who has been in Congress has a mission in this election, which is to fight against “party bosses” who want him out of the election.  You know, the “party bosses” like, er, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Michelle Malkin, et al.  If that wasn’t clear, Akin manages to mention “party bosses” three times in the first minute or so of his interview on ABC’s Good Morning America.  But even with that in mind, Akin’s still not quite sure he’ll stay in the race:

Here’s what Missouri Congressman Todd Akin said when I asked if he was in the race to stay – even if it looked like he would lose and possibly cost Republicans control of the Senate.

“Well George, I’m never going to say everything that could possibly happen. I don’t know the future, but I do know this. I know that the Party voters took a look at our hearts, understood who we were, had a chance to meet us in many, many different ways and made a decision,” Akin told me. “And it makes me uncomfortable to think that the party bosses are going to dictate who runs as opposed to the election process.”

Stehpanopoulos wondered aloud how the idea that women’s uteri could fight off rapist sperm got into Akin’s head. Akin chose to ignore that question, sticking instead to his apology and his belief that his pro-life principles will get him elected anyway:

The congressman, who sits on the House Science Committee, also admits that statement was medically wrong.

“The point of the matter is that, yes, pregnancy can happen as a result of rape. I understand that and I’ve acknowledged that fact. At the same time I don’t apologize for the fact that I’m consistently pro-life. I believe in defending the unborn and I believe that based on those kinds of principles I can win this race,” he said.

So, Akin won’t drop out of the race … maybe. The old line of attack, “liberal media,” seems to have been discarded for “party bosses,” even though it’s almost as ridiculous in this context. Yes, some “party bosses” wanted him to withdraw, but so did a lot of people who could hardly be called party bosses. Some of them are barely in the party at all. I think Akin needs a little more work on his messaging.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Well one good thing – it’s going to be hard to tie this guy to the rest of the GOP when he’s trashing them.

What a doofus.

gophergirl on August 22, 2012 at 8:43 AM

A little?

Dunedainn on August 22, 2012 at 8:44 AM

We need some levity, whenever I see this guy I can only think of this:

rob verdi on August 22, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Pathetic loser! Anyone who does not see abortion as the end result of rape or incest is defending a crime. It’s as simple as that!

jjnco73 on August 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Akin: “I don’t know the future

…at least not as good as the female reproductive system!”

Valkyriepundit on August 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM

do the dumbest among us go into politics?

bannor on August 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Nothing like party unity, is there?

Grab the Kleenexes. Cue the Concerned.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Akin 2012: because Harry Reid shouldn’t be the only senile old retard in the US Senate.

DRayRaven on August 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM

He does not know the present.

bayview on August 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM

The point of the matter is that, yes, pregnancy can happen as a result of rape.

This doesn’t address his initial “legitimate rape” comment. Can a woman’s body help “shut down” the initiation of a pregnancy, or not? If not, then say you screwed up. If so, cite the appropriate study or medical theory. He’s pretending this elephant isn’t in the middle of the room.

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Party bosses want him to stay in the race!

Democrat party bosses …

PackerBronco on August 22, 2012 at 8:48 AM

We need some levity, whenever I see this guy I can only think of this:

rob verdi on August 22, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I like the Red State analogy, comparing Akin to the Gimp from Pulp Fiction.

jjnco73 on August 22, 2012 at 8:48 AM

“Well George, I know I’m going to be asked the rape question every day from now until the election. And I’m going apologize and keep apologzing until then. Will it do much good? No. But at least I’ll take down my party with me. Hell, I’ll stand on top of the funeral pyre with the American Flag in my hands.”

WordsMatter on August 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Reality calling Akin…please pick up the phone… this is the problem doofus. The problem is not your position on abortion, dumbass.

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Nothing like party unity, is there?

Grab the Kleenexes. Cue the Concerned.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM

One good thing is that Todd Akin has made us even more unified… unified in agreement that this delusional loser Akin has to go!

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

He didn’t sound as sure of himself this morning.

Radio played the NBC interview.

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Oh good. The longer Akin is in the news the longer women voters will ask whether they can vote for a party who thinks it can tell them how to respond if they get pregnant from a rape. Yes many GOPers were already wanting to pass laws that would tell pregnant rape victims what to do, but Akin brings it to the forefront. Weirdly, the GOP is about to enshrine that principle into the party platform. It really makes their claims that the state should “get out of our private lives” pretty hilarious.

libfreeordie on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

After pi$$sing off those “party bosses” he might be assured of
this – no “party boss” funds, no “party boss” ads for
him, no “party boss” backed campaign rallys, etc.

He keeps stepping in it.

BTW, I read somewhere about the Missouri Constitution Party which
may have an opening on the ballot. I can’t find any info on this,
however. This may be what Palin was referring to. Having Steelman
run third party. What a wild ride that would be!

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Politics: What nuts do when there’s no more room at the insane asylums.

WordsMatter on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Agreed

jjnco73 on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

clearly in “legitimate” cases where ideas (or facts) conflict with Todd Akin’s beliefs his brain shuts down to protect him from having to deal with them. Why should a vagina be any different?

bannor on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Nothing like party unity, is there?

Grab the Kleenexes. Cue the Concerned.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I sooo hate it when I’m right.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Akin: “I don’t know the future”

and the media shouts another day…..SQUIRREL!!!!

Economy? What economy?
Jobs? What jobs?
Deficits? What deficit?
Iran? huh?

PappyD61 on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Oh, George.
“Dr. Willkes”. The New York Times is already planning to turn this loon into a household name.
But you knew that.

Akins? No, people: Huckabee. Huckabee will never accept a Mormon in the White House and wants the job in 2016. I’m convinced of it. Huckster is the witch and Akin is his little flying monkey.

Marcus on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

He will get no help because all the intelligent helpers are screaming at him to GET OUT!!! I think if we wait for a REAL POLL, like Rasmussen of LIKELY voters which shows him way down, maybe he will get the message. Maybe. But, I am not sure the man has any sense of logic or decency. I truly believe, after listening to that Hannity interview yesterday, that he is ENJOYING all of this attention. Lovin’ every minute. I think we should starve him of oxygen. Work on other races. Ignore him and his race and pour all of our energy into making Paul Ryan the TIE breaker in the senate.

djl130 on August 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

But even with that in mind, Akin’s still not quite sure he’ll stay in the race

Hopefully when he notices zero supporters at rallies, no money coming in, and polls showing him down 10-20 points, reality will set in. He may be a prideful, egotistical SOB, but he’s not gonna risk personal bankruptcy to stay in a race he has no hope of winning.

The problem is it’s gonna be way harder to get him off the ballot after yesterday’s deadline than it would’ve been had he done the right thing from the beginning.

Doughboy on August 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

libfreeordie on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Remember this little gem?

Yeah. That’s your party.

Dunedainn on August 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Akin has done what Romney has not…

Unified the party.

He will be an ongoing detriment to the conservative agenda no matter what happens.

Valiant on August 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I sooo hate it when I’m right.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

But you knew it was going to happen, eventually.

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

If this guy looked like Scott Brown or Paul Ryan, folks would be looking for ways to let him off the hook.
But he unfortunately looks like the slightly out-of-it old man who believes in magical rapist deflecting vajajays.
That said, lets see a list of the things that the Lion of the Senate Ted Kennedy said and DID while in office. Or Robert Byrd? Anyone? Anyone?

Sugar Land on August 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Meanwhile while the “Look at the squirrel” Media talks about Akin or Prince Harry or the NBC/WSJ poll there is this from California.

Forward California………..OVER THE CLIFF!!!

PappyD61 on August 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

…the guy sits on the HSC?…and then vocalizes
this?

the idea that women’s uteri could fight off rapist sperm got into Akin’s head.

…what is he????????????…A Barbara Boxer or Nancy Pelosi…with a penis?

KOOLAID2 on August 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

jjnco73,
That’s harsh.

rob verdi on August 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I think Akin is enjoying all the media attention he is getting. Nobody can be this stupid, can they?

midgeorgian on August 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

This is more attention than this man has ever gotten.

He’s shooting it into his viens like HEROIN.

ToddPA on August 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Marcus on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THS STATEMENT

djl130 on August 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I don’t follow Rush Limbaugh much but thought this comment of his was pretty insightful:

Their ultimate aim is to protect the baby no matter what circumstance the conception occurs in. And I think that’s just who the guy is, but he doesn’t know how to explain it. He has no clue how to make his case for it. And so he hangs around people who are like-minded and they’ve devised this belief. He’s not the first guy to say this. I’ve had people tell me that a woman’s body shuts down in rape. There’s no evidence for this. I mean it’s absolutely absurd. This leads to the second problem. This is absurd. That belief that a woman’s body shuts down and the whole notion of “legitimate”/”illegitimate” rape, that’s the thing that bothers me about it. That’s just absurd. It’s not intelligent. I know what he was trying to talk about. I’m pretty confident, I’m pretty sure that I know what he was trying to say.

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Doughboy on August 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Yep. Couldn’t this guy have started having doubts yesterday? Instead he went into hiding.

Doomberg on August 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM

A good ad from Team Romney, simple and to the point.

bayview on August 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Akin’s problem is he is “reality challenged”. That problem will not go away. I think his issues with reality are part and parcel of who he is. He believes what he wants to believe regardless of the evidence.

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

There you go. You can teach an old dog but that old dog is staying in the race. What else is there to do or say? Why do we let this dominate the news? Crazy squirrel is still SQUIRREL!

Fallon on August 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

The RNC must not give this guy money if he stays in. Akin might think they’re bluffing- I hope they’re not.

If the RNC rolls over for this idiot, the albatross will be hung on every GOP hopeful in the country, especially Romney/Ryan.

Don’t do it, GOP. Walk away from this guy and don’t look back.

Bat Chain Puller on August 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

God forgive me: I want to lift that flap of hair, bop him on the head, and lay it back down again. Not hard enough to hurt him. Just hard enough to penetrate his thick skull.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Akin: “I don’t know the future”

Ed Morrissey, if this is where Akin’s head is, cue up another Eagles tune: “He’s already gone”.

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Missouri Congressman Todd Akin………

You own this one.

PappyD61 on August 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

libfreeordie on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

You and your party seek control over every aspect of our lives from our basic health care, to retirement, to energy, to the kinds of ars we drive, to how much water our toilets flush and we conservatives just want to be left alone. I find it odd that the ONLY intrusion on personal space conservatives support, and that only because we value life, is in the area of abortion.

Your party is the party of socialism, fascism, and without our restraint, totalitarianism. Just think through some of your favored policies had we not been around to stop you.

Your party is dragging us closer to a hot civil war as it continues to try forcing us into a collective we reject.

Charlemagne on August 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

PappyD61 on August 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Don’t you understand? The actions of one Senator are far more important than national issues. Especially, when some, judging by some of the posters around here, are using it as an opportunity to bash the Conservative Base.

Meanwhile, $500,00 of the Stimulus, OUR money, went to MSNBC.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

libfreeordie on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Where you been? We missed you in the Romney/Ryan now leading in MI/WI article.

The Count on August 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Are you saying that Akin is Spock?

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

But you knew it was going to happen, eventually.

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Yeah. More’s the pity.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

BTW, I read somewhere about the Missouri Constitution Party which
may have an opening on the ballot. I can’t find any info on this,
however. This may be what Palin was referring to. Having Steelman
run third party. What a wild ride that would be!

Amjean on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I don’t know about the Constitution Party availability, but I can tell you that neither Steelman nor Brunner can run under the sore loser law – unless Akin withdraws.

Next, there is conflicting info on whether one judge or a panel of judges must allow the withdrawal – and the likelihood of this happening. Many say the Dem judges won’t allow it; others say only one GOP judge is necessary.

I wish some enterprising reporter would simply lay out the options. All of this mis-information and disinformation is ridiculous.

matthew8787 on August 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Only way to win the seat, full court press for a write in candidate.

mrscullen on August 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Are you saying that Akin is Spock?

cozmo on August 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Nah. He’s pointy-headed. Not pointy-eared.

kingsjester on August 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I don’t know what bothers me more about this guy, the smug prickness, the fact that he speaks with the royal “we” or the resolute pursuit of political power at all costs.

I don’t think he understands that if the Reps miss gaining control of the Senate by one seat, he will be the most hated man in Republican politics. What an idiot.

DaveyNC on August 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM

This was one of the top stories today. covered by the local news. on radio and TV.

if you heard nothing else, you heard “Republicans .. legitimate rape”
Romney needs VA. And this idiot is making it that much harder.

NoVAHockey on August 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM

This guy has made the national GOP focus like they perhaps hadn’t intended to on some other Senate races around the country, so if people like Debbie Stabenow in Michigan go down, they’ll have Claire McCaskill and her chosen candidate Todd Akin to thank for that. Run ads in every competitive state that say if the democrat candidate wins, we’ll never be able to repeal obamacare. They’ll start going down in the polls. Tie every Senate race to repealing obamacare. Do a campaign telling voters this will FINALLY be their ONE AND ONLY CHANCE to VOTE against obamacare: A vote for (insert GOP candidate’s name here) is a vote to repeal obamacare.

Rational Thought on August 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Missouri Congressman Todd Akin………

You own this one.

I want Huckabee bounced from the RNC Convention speakers next week. He is scheduled for a prime time slot on Monday night!

I say yank him unless and until Akin withdraws with a satisfactory court order.

matthew8787 on August 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

libfreeordie on August 22, 2012

…go see 2016 turdforlife!

KOOLAID2 on August 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

The fact is that it was the party bosses that shot down Sarah palin’s chances before the faithful got a chance to vote for or against her. It makes the entire process suspect. The RINO machine is as deadly to democratic ideals as was the squash job Obama did on Hillary.

Let’s not excuse the GOP because we so need to get rid off Obama. he only got power because the GOP RINO machine kept controlling who we would be able to vote for.

If the MO senate seat is all that stands between a free nation and communism, then it already is far too late to worry about a screwup like Akin.

Don L on August 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Shell Shock and stuck on stupid.

Prayers offered.

marybel on August 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I watch this guy and ask myself: Dude, how dumb are you? How can you believe that you are running a promising campaign when you are forced to make public statements like “rape is an evil act”?

When you’re explaining, it means you’re on the defensive, i.e. losing – not to mention apologizing. But explaining and apologizing, while talking about rape? Wow, you’re done!

Valkyriepundit on August 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM

midgeorgian on August 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

He may not be stupid, but he’s delusional. I think he may be confusing infamy with fame. There’s a big difference. He’s not a media superstar just because a bunch of left-wing hacks want to interview him in order to highlight his idiocy.

Doughboy on August 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

libfreeordie on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

You know what else this brings to the forefront? The fact that barack obama has invited a rapist to introduce him at the democrat national convention. Women voters will be asking whether they can vote for a party who thinks it is OK to rape women, so long as the rapist is pro-abortion.

Rational Thought on August 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I know the future. You’re going to lose.

FruitedPlain on August 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Rational Thought on August 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Good work.

rob verdi on August 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Everything You Need to Know about Todd Akin:

- Democrats spent $1.5 million supporting him in the primary.
- Democrats were the margin of victory for him in the primary.
- McCaskill wants him to stay in.

InterestedObserver on August 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM

The “Tardasil” Bachmann influence on Akin is apparent.

Just sayin…

Kermit on August 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Don L on August 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

How did they shoot down Palin’s chances? She could’ve gotten in, just like everyone else. I don’t think they were cheering Santorum or Bachmann’s entry, but those two gave it a go…Palin could’ve too. The fact she didn’t is on her and no one else.

And none of that matters at this point, anyway. Carping about “the establishment” is silly…they didn’t make him say the stupid remark.

changer1701 on August 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM

libfreeordie on August 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Yeah, if we just understood baby talk, that’s what all those healthy babies being aborted would be say. “Get out of here! Leave me alone!” Killing is rather intrusive. No?

RBMN on August 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Akin needs to step aside before the convention. As in now. Do we really want to be talking about “legitimate rape” and “spastic sperm” (actual quote in NY Times from Akin’s source) and “uptight vaginas” (also actually described that way by Akin’s quack doctor source) during the convention?

Ugh. We have a fantastic ticket with Romney/Ryan. They have been raising money like there’s no tomorrow. We had been building good momentum in the swing states and had been winning more support from independent voters. Then enters the delusional Mr. “I’m on a mission from God” Todd Akin to slow our momentum, take the focus off Obama’s economic failures… all because he has too much pride and arrogance to step aside and do what’s best for the country.

I’m so sick of these arrogant and presumptuous politicians like Akin who apparently believe that their campaigns are missions on behalf of God. I’ve had it with the small group of religious zealot voters in certain states’ primaries who will vote for whomever waves a Bible in their faces the longest… regardless of whether the candidate is an ignorant kook like Todd Akin and regardless of whether the candidate even holds fiscally conservative views.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Only way to win the seat, full court press for a write in candidate.

mrscullen on August 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Yes…and to win the electoral votes for the presidency because voter turnout was pumped

gracie on August 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Yesterday this loon was clinging to the PPP poll.

He’s an engineer. A numbers guy. He doesn’t pick up on social clues, obviously. Maybe numbers speak to him.

So let’s pray for a new, unbiased poll which show his numbers WAY down. And let’s pray it comes out TODAY.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I’m still waiting for him to address his “the female body has ways to shut down” comment. It’s like he said there are men on Mars and someone asks him for proof and then he changes the subject. He says something so provocative, and then pretends he didn’t say it? Forget for a moment the content of what he said. How about answering the most basic question about what he said? I can’t stand dealing with people like that. They’re either stupid or dishonest.

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Amen! Do it!

mrscullen on August 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Akin will not be attending the convention

cmsinaz on August 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM

do the dumbest among us go into politics?

bannor on August 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Begging is outlawed in most places … so politics it is ….

conservative tarheel on August 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Ugh. We have a fantastic ticket with Romney/Ryan.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

This is the best GOP Prez ticket in my memory.

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM

changer1701 on August 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Even people on Romney’s teem attacked her before the 2008 election was over. The name Kevin Madden comes to mind. But since you’re a die-hard Romney supporter and seem to be of the RINO persuasion, I can see why you would be oblivious to those accusations.

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Yesterday this loon was clinging to the PPP poll.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM

It won’t be poll numbers that get through that thick skull(and combover). It’ll be dollars. If he reaches the point where he can’t run the campaign without dipping into his own finances, that’s when he’ll get the message from the Almighty that it’s time to step aside.

Doughboy on August 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Don’t do it, GOP. Walk away from this guy and don’t look back.

Bat Chain Puller on August 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

The only way the RNC/NRSC gives in is if there’s a huge rush of support for Akin.

If you look at his campaign site, he’s raised about $10K since this started, and has around 4000 signatures on his ‘petition’ to stay in the race.

Look at those numbers. He’s dead in the water, but he just doesn’t know it yet.

PetecminMd on August 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I know the future. You’re going to lose.

FruitedPlain on August 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM

badly … as in slaughter … I just hope this SOB doesn’t take
the rest of the party with him ….

conservative tarheel on August 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Steve Forbes was on local talk radio this morning. He thinks it is a face-saving thing that he didn’t bow out yesterday. Bottom line there is no way he is going anywhere without party support. He predicts Akin will be out within a few days.

And let’s be clear. Any time you can get Sarah Palin, Michelle Malkin, John Ashcroft, and John Danforth on the same page…. you are toast.

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I’m a conservative born-again Christian.

God works through circumstances. I don’t stand in judgment of Rep. Akins’ relationship with God, but if it were me, I’d accept the consequences of my mistake and step aside. Perhaps he had a green light from God before. The light’s turned red now.

This Christian does not endorse Akins’ Senate run.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Does anybody listed to Huckabee’s show? How interesting this guy has done two full interviews with him and we get clips of Hannity and Stephanopoulis. I’d bet my bottom dollar the Huckabee interviews are fluff and kisses.

I wouldn’t be so surprised to see Akin’s funding isn’t as low as people hope. And to see him a regular on that radio show until November 6th.

Marcus on August 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Happy Nomad on August 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

But that’s operating under the assumption that this man is rational. He allegedly disconnected his campaign office’s phones yesterday and temporarily was difficult for party leaders to even locate. Who’s to say the dude won’t just decide to hide in a bunker somewhere for 2 1/2 months til Election Day and hope that God delivers him a victory? And who’s to say the Democrat Party won’t funnel money to his campaign in order to keep him around? They already spent millions on his behalf just to make him the nominee. You think they won’t fork over a couple million more to ensure McCaskill holds onto her Senate seat?

Doughboy on August 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Doughboy on August 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

That, and the prospect of a credible third party challenge backed by “party bosses” like, for example, Palin.

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Even people on Romney’s teem attacked her before the 2008 election was over.

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

idesign, you are such a tiresome fool, always saying Palin is forever being victimized and dredging up all kinds of old lame conspiracy theories. it’s kind of embarrassing how you go around to all the threads making all kinds of excuses for the woman. is it your full time job? the fact is, Romney and Palin are on the same team. You got that? The name of the game is to defeat Obama and send more conservatives to Congress while retaking the Senate. She didn’t run because she chose not to. No one forced her to stay out. I’m actually glad she didn’t run, because I don’t think she would have been a strong general election candidate. However, she can do a lot for conservative causes in other capacities, which is great. So enough with the St. Palin the Victimized garbage!

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM

This idea has been floating around pro-life circles for decades. It’s just a symptom of the inveterate dishonesty of the pro-life movement. My personal favorite bit of pro-life dishonesty is about abortion causes breast cancer, because it is so pervasive in pro-life literature.

How can a movement with such a tenuous relationship with the facts of what they argue be taken seriously?

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Marcus on August 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

It’s only 10K since yesterday. Compare that to the Romney moneybomb the day Obamacare passed (into the millions of dollars) and the day he announced Ryan as his running-mate.

Still…who are the folks giving to Akin now? How many kids, nieces, nephews, cousins and siblings does the guy have?

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

You need to connect to reality yourself. It’s Akin’s position that a woman who is raped should not have access to an abortion that is the bigger problem. If that is accepted as the GOP position on abortion then Obama will be re-elected.

Basilsbest on August 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

GOP Lemonade Strategy: Tie the Akin impeachment to Bubbah-the-Rapist impeachment

“It was a real panicky, panicky situation. I was even to the point where I was getting very noisy, you know, yelling to ‘Please stop.’ And that’s when he pressed down on my right shoulder and he would bite my lip.”

Clinton didn’t linger long afterward. “When everything was over with, he got up and straightened himself, and I was crying at the moment and he walks to the door, and calmly puts on his sunglasses. And before he goes out the door he says, ‘You better get some ice on that.’ And he turned and went out the door.”

When life gives you lemons, serve lemonade.

Terp Mole on August 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

G_D Help me I am agreeing with the gilled one ….
it is a sign of the apocalypse … maybe the Mayons were right

conservative tarheel on August 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM

It’s incredibly ironic for a Palin worshiper to be suggesting anyone else is oblivious. Physician, heal thyself.

Regardless of the criticism she received by some in the GOP, the bottom line is she could’ve ran if she wanted. She would’ve gotten Tea Party and grassroots support and been a legitimate player. Instead, she chose to sit it out. No one prevented her from it. As I said, I doubt the mean old establishment was doing cartwheels over Bachmann, Santorum, etc…but they still jumped in. Palin could’ve too, and that’s on her. Blaming others for the fact she didn’t is silly.

changer1701 on August 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I sure hope Obama’s future is as certain as this creeps future is.

austinconservative on August 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

most of that money can be traced to the DNC and McCaskill and other Dems
same as the primary donors ….

conservative tarheel on August 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Correct. Claire’s operatives will give 25 cents to Akin for every dollar for her — just to keep this as_hole propped up.

I want Huckabee bounced from the speaking slot at the RNC. Someone needs to start a petition.

matthew8787 on August 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I have been heartened to see the strong, fast reaction by so many conservatives calling for Aiken to step aside. Romney, Palin, Paul Ryan, Christie, Mark Levin, Hannity, RNC chair, etc. etc. etc.

The fact that this man Akin isn’t getting a clue shows how out of touch with reality he is. In his head I think he sees himself as some kind of valiant warrior on a mission personally assigned to him by God. That or he just LOVES the attention. What a selfish, small, vile man who is actually great harm to the conservative and pro-life causes he claims to care so much about. Seems to me he cares about only himself. There are countless other pro-life candidates who could win this Senate race after he steps aside. No, this man is just being stubborn.

bluegill on August 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Check out these facts:

1. Aborted babies had beating hearts
2. Their arms and legs are pulled off their bodies before their torso is suctioned out
OR
3. their brains are vacuumed out of their skull before their body is expelled
4. If you were born after Roe v. Wade, this could have been YOUR fate

Meditate on those facts for a few moments.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

farsighted on August 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Sarah Palin – Party Boss

See hotAir’s new thread..:)

idesign on August 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I’m extremely embarrassed by Aikin’s statement, and his staying in.
We needed to defeat McClaire, and now at doubt that’ll happen.
Especially with so many wimmins speaking @ the DNC… sheesh.

I guess it’s just too much to ask for any talk radio shows to JUST STOP talking about this, so I’ll be listening to alot of tunes for a few more days. Sigh.

pambi on August 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM