Akin: “I don’t know the future”

posted at 8:41 am on August 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Great news for anti-establishment types in the GOP: Todd Akin has your back.  The man who has been in Congress has a mission in this election, which is to fight against “party bosses” who want him out of the election.  You know, the “party bosses” like, er, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Michelle Malkin, et al.  If that wasn’t clear, Akin manages to mention “party bosses” three times in the first minute or so of his interview on ABC’s Good Morning America.  But even with that in mind, Akin’s still not quite sure he’ll stay in the race:

Here’s what Missouri Congressman Todd Akin said when I asked if he was in the race to stay – even if it looked like he would lose and possibly cost Republicans control of the Senate.

“Well George, I’m never going to say everything that could possibly happen. I don’t know the future, but I do know this. I know that the Party voters took a look at our hearts, understood who we were, had a chance to meet us in many, many different ways and made a decision,” Akin told me. “And it makes me uncomfortable to think that the party bosses are going to dictate who runs as opposed to the election process.”

Stehpanopoulos wondered aloud how the idea that women’s uteri could fight off rapist sperm got into Akin’s head. Akin chose to ignore that question, sticking instead to his apology and his belief that his pro-life principles will get him elected anyway:

The congressman, who sits on the House Science Committee, also admits that statement was medically wrong.

“The point of the matter is that, yes, pregnancy can happen as a result of rape. I understand that and I’ve acknowledged that fact. At the same time I don’t apologize for the fact that I’m consistently pro-life. I believe in defending the unborn and I believe that based on those kinds of principles I can win this race,” he said.

So, Akin won’t drop out of the race … maybe. The old line of attack, “liberal media,” seems to have been discarded for “party bosses,” even though it’s almost as ridiculous in this context. Yes, some “party bosses” wanted him to withdraw, but so did a lot of people who could hardly be called party bosses. Some of them are barely in the party at all. I think Akin needs a little more work on his messaging.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

C’mon Hot Air!

As I just pulled up your site, 11 of the 35 articles on the page referred to Todd Akin — OVER 30%!

I doubt that if Israel had bombed Iran this morning you would have had this much coverage.

Give us a break. The guy made an idiotic statement. BIG DEAL! End of story.

Concerned_American on August 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM

But the plank does not say that woman can’t get pregnant via rape. So nice try.

Conservatives want to kill the rapist. And save the baby.

Liberals want to save the rapist. And kill the baby.

kevinkristy on August 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Moron.

Statement retracted as soon as possible completely retracted.

To restate it is to LIE.

Akins has done everything humanly possible to say how wrong this statement was.

Now actually there are no studies on this. It is actually possible he is correct that the body would fight it off. It is known that 6% of women raped get pregnant if not on contraception. But there has been no study to actually find out if the trama of rape lessens the chance of pregnancy. So to say he was scientifically wrong is incorrect. But to say he had nothing to back up what he said is totally correct. This is why he retracted what he said. He now says that legitimate and rape never belong together. Do not know how he could go further in retracting what he said.

But bottom line is he won fairly. To force him out is unfair. If you care about the seat get behind. If you would rather Clair win reelection continue in this madness.

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

This idea has been floating around pro-life circles for decades. It’s just a symptom of the inveterate dishonesty of the pro-life movement. My personal favorite bit of pro-life dishonesty is about abortion causes breast cancer, because it is so pervasive in pro-life literature.

How can a movement with such a tenuous relationship with the facts of what they argue be taken seriously?

thuja on August 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Maybe one day the pro-life movement can have as good a grasp of medical science as the people who claim an unborn baby is just a clump of cells.

Sorry, but I accept no lectures on science from people who deny that a baby in the womb is a new life. Get the log out of your own eye first before you try to remove any specks from mine.

tom on August 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Is this idiot a troll or just a crazy ABR?

joana on August 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Why is it that people keep saying, “yeah, but Akin apologized”, as if that should make a significant difference? We’re not children. Only children think apologies are always enough. And as adults, we typically straighten them out on that score. Apologies don’t always fix everything, particularly when there’s a corrective action available and the person who has done wrong rejects it.

If the guy was truly sorry, he’d have done the right thing and stepped aside. Having failed to do that, we can only assume that his ambitions are a greater priority to him than whatever feelings of regret he might have had.

Murf76 on August 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM

tom on August 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I’ve always said that if what is in your womb isn’t alive, why bother to kill it.

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Oh Yeah. Right! Last night people were like, this will go away in a matter of hours. Its the latest tempest du jour. Its background white noise. Won’t matter in the least to the RNC going forward.

Got news for you socons. It is registering. It is staying tied to Romney/Ryan like a boulder around them. And Akin is sinking them.

I said it last night and I’ll say it again: its too late now for Akin just to leave! His vile bile has stained everything like black muck and to get out from that and become shiny clean you need an inoculation: a woman running for that seat.

Too bad Akin won’t be allowed to leave! The democrats own the judicial system in MO and he needs them to get OFF the ticket so any talk of him going? Yeah, he could walk hat in hand to the courts but they won’t let him off the hook.

Again, I thank the stooges in state of Missouri that bought into what was clearly a democrat strategy of getting Uncle Fester out of the basement and having him win a plurality. What were you thinking???????? Nope, never mind. That question answers itself. You weren’t.

You socons in MO have given us Obama for another 4 years because MO was going for Romney and now its going to go for Obama. It also has a trickle effect across the country! We see that we won’t be able to win because of your dufus move and Uncle Fester can’t get OFF the ballot so we won’t go to the voting boxes ourselves because, Hey, what the heck, if there’s no sense that Obama can be taken out and beaten? Why bother to vote in the first place.

The show me state. Show me how dumb you guys really are. Ya blew it. And I’m an independent – was ready to go for Romney/Ryan but ya had to give us fruit loops Akin? R/R won’t recover from this and I’m not voting for a losing team. I won’t vote. Say goodbye to any change to the Hope dream squad. You got played and I’m not about to be stupid enough to be lumped in with your group as they do check back voting patterns.
I need to be able to keep my job.

idiots! now I have to find my blue shirt and start singing –
Viva la revolution!

athenadelphi on August 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

How does a 65 yo man just discover two days ago that, um, raped woman don’t have special powers to block sperm.

Actually I believe Mr. Akin was referencing some research on the issue. Whether it’ shoddy or not is of course irrelevant to just the plain stupidity of talking about it as a politician running for an office.

Apparently the research is shoddy, but he wasn’t just pulling a comment out of his butt. And, overarching all of that, he actually had a reasonable argument concerning rape and abortion, it’s just that he should have stuck to the standard script instead of going off the plantation with his remarks.

Logus on August 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM

As near as I can tell he was trying to make the point that abortion due to rape is rare. Yes, there have been studies that indicate a rape makes pregnancy less likely. I always found that claim questionable, but can’t say I ever researched it to examine if it was true. I don’t think they were ever accepted by the medical community.

I think the phrase “legitimate rape” — as if some kinds of rape are — may have been the real mistake here. It certainly made people blink and look closer.

And instead of sticking to the argument that rape made pregnancy less likely, he implied it made it almost impossible, which was not claimed in any of the studies that I’m aware of.

tom on August 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

A Rush caller today claimed that the ‘uterus rejection’ theory originated in the 1970′s with a Planned Parenthood researcher. Uh-oh.

slickwillie2001 on August 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I need to be able to keep my job.

idiots! now I have to find my blue shirt and start singing –
Viva la revolution!

athenadelphi on August 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM

And who would count on you or trust someone like you in a revolution? Rather than providing backup or cover/support, you’d be back in camp whining about your jo-o-o-bb.
But you and your sure do talk a good revolution.

Solaratov on August 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I’d rather not have a selfish man who knee-jerks to “PRINCIPLES!” when everyone under the sun asks him to step aside.

But no, Akins says “PRINCIPLES!” when ObamaCare stays the law of the land. Why is he willing to do this? Because of…

“PRINCIPLES!”

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM

How is he selfish?

Because he will not give up a seat he won fairly in a fair election?

Because he does not believe the Party Bosses should be allowed to force him out simply because he is “too Conservative”.

No Selfish is endorsing Harry Reid because Sharon Angle it “too Conservative”

Listen clearly.

The people who voted for this man knew who he was. Then knew he was Conservative and chose him to go to Washington.

It is the rotten Party Bosses who are the selfish and undemocratic ones.

Show me the Law he broke then I would agree. But darn Political Correctness is not the law.

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM

OK, we are stuck with someone as clueless as Joe Biden and as egotistical as Obama as the Missouri Republican Senate candidate. Said candidate is supported by … the Democrat candidate. Which tells you something and opens up a number of explanations.

However, even if we acknowledge the existence of Democrat “false flag” operations; we are still left with the problem of what to do with this Feng1le5 bugger; and how to serve him a writ of Me oportet propter praeceptum te nocere.

1) the National party, and to the extent possible the State party has to cut him off without a dime. Given that he is Huckabee’s creature, the State cutoff may be less than 100% effective; but we have to do what we can.

2) Republicans have to track the contributions to Akins, tracing them to see if they come from Democrats. If Joe Blow gives Akins $1000, and for the last 10 years he has only given to Democrats; that needs to be publicized. Might be a job for Steelman’s former campaign staff with the help of the TEA Party.

3) the Republican party and all candidates have to make it clear to all vendors, if you work with Akins from “X” date; you will never get a contract from a Republican candidate again. Also, let it be known that if he loses [a certainty] the Republican party will not be responsible for paying any of his debts. Let him be both short of money, and short of people who will sell to him.

4) if he dares show his face in public at any campaign appearances or rallies, the crowd should be mostly Republicans wearing Romney and Missouri Republican candidates’ campaign gear, and carrying large signs with the simple message: “AKINS WITHDRAW NOW!”. I admit that the troublemaker in me wants to have some of the signs add “[AND STOP RAPING THE COUNTRY]“.

Subotai Bahadur

Subotai Bahadur on August 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM

tom on August 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

No one is claiming this was not a stupid statement. But he was well known for saying such things and the people chose him to represent him anyway.

He has a very very conservative record in the House for 22 years. Every one knew exactly who he was when they voted for him.

The Party Bosses did not want him from day one. Sucks to be a party boss sometimes. I mean the people who vote do not always agree with you. But these dam Party Bosses should listen to the people. Instead they hatched a plan to use his constant misstatements like this to force him out. To Hades with the people the Party Bosses said. We know better.

Party Bosses go to Hades.

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Subotai Bahadur

Subotai Bahadur on August 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Wow the gull.

Listen Moron.

He won fairly.

You lie evidently that you care if we take the Senate.

I say lie. Because here is your plan to make sure that another Democrat stays in office.

You already cost a few seats by destroying Conservative Republicans that dared win a fair primary but gosh darn.

This time you are just flat out saying.

The Republican Party will choose your leaders for you. You can vote but if we do not like your vote we will make sure you do not obtain office.

This is not a Constitutional Republic with leaders that feel this way. I would call it Communism. But it is not a Constitutional Republic.

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Akins is a member of a specific political party… the Republican Party. As such, his association with what he now refers to as “party bosses” is entirely voluntary. He can leave whenever he likes. Let him go join the Democrat Party and see how that works out for him. With his demonstrated propensity for putting his own political ambitions first, he ought to be a real stand-out over there.

Murf76 on August 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM

tom on August 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

My opinion on rape is defined as “without the woman’s permission.”
If a woman is under drugs or alcohol and is “taken advantage” of so she cannot give permission, then that is rape. Now, if a woman is raped by force, then that is a different type of rape. I don’t know, but perhaps Akin used the term “legitimate” to mean “forced” rape.

I’ve not heard in all of the discussions about the fear factor that is involved in forced rape. The woman most likely is afraid for her life.

Fear: Synonyms: terror, dread, anxiety, horror, distress, fright, panic, alarm, trepidation, apprehension

Could this fear during forcible rape become paralyzing and “shut down” the woman’s body so she doesn’t conceive as easily? I don’t know; I’m not a Doctor. I wish HA had a couple of Medical Doctors address this.

bluefox on August 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

How is he selfish?

Because he will not give up a seat he won fairly in a fair election?

Ok Steph… shut your lying piehole and listen.

There was nothing “fair” about how Gollum won the nomination. He won because of 1.5 million dollars in free advertising given to him by the democrats and hundreds (if not thousands) of of democrats crossing the aisle to play silly buggers with the GOP primary. If Sarah Steelman or Brunner had an extra 1.5 mill, we might not even be having this conversation.

What happened was unfortunately within the bounds of the law, but it was nothing even remotely resembling fair.

The people who voted for this man knew who he was.

True… the democrats who crossed the aisle to vote for him knew exactly who he was. And he did not disappoint them. Almost as soon as the votes were counted, he slipped both barrels over the tongue and past the gums and pulled the trigger.

And now the libtards are laughing their asses off at his death twitches.

I hope you’re happy, Steph.

It is the rotten Party Bosses who are the selfish and undemocratic ones.

Stephaniecutter on August 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“Party bosses” like Limbaugh, Malkin, Hannity and Saint Sarah herself, you kook?

Alberta_Patriot on August 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM

“PRINCIPLES!”

Grace_is_sufficient on August 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM

What are we fighting for if not principles? Our most fundamental, American beliefs–PRINCIPLES–are enshrined in the U.S. Constitution. Are we not fighting to defend our constitution?

Your entreating Akin to base his actions on emotion instead of principle goes against everything for which our country stands. I entreat you, Grace, to familiarize yourself with the 6 principles that form the framework of our constitution.

Liberty–the first political principle–is more important than your nursing a grudge. Support Akin in 2012: because principles do matter!

TXJenny on August 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM

It is known that 6% of women raped get pregnant if not on contraception.

Steveangell on August 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Be careful not to fall for the Left’s junk science. That statistic has no basis in fact. The study from which it comes was a *phone survey* in which no data was gathered from, compared to, or corroborated with police reports or medical records. It is nothing more than opinion. This is the type of crap the Left passes off as “legitimate” medical research.

TXJenny on August 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM