Video: Akin’s new mea maxima culpa TV spot

posted at 8:41 am on August 21, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Can Todd Akin hang onto his Republican nomination for the US Senate after a disastrous interview over the weekend, in which he questioned the legitimacy of rape claims from women who got impregnated by their assaulters?  He’s giving it a try, with a new ad out this morning called “Forgiveness,” which ends the explanations and instead offers a mea maxima culpa while promising to get tough on rapists (via Politico):

“Rape is an evil act. I used the wrong words in the wrong way and for that I apologize. As the father of two daughters, I want tough justice for predators. I have a compassionate heart for the victims of sexual assault. I pray for them,” Akin says. “The fact is, rape can lead to pregnancy. The truth is, rape has many victims.”

Akin continues: “The mistake I made was in the words I said, not in the heart I hold. I ask for your forgiveness.”

The spot was produced by the Strategy Group for Media, which guided Akin to an upset victory in a multi-candidate Republican primary. For Akin to move ahead, he’ll have to apologize profusely (as in this ad) and move on from his problematic comments, return the focus of his campaign to McCaskill and her record in Congress, and win back support from the national Republicans who have condemned him when it becomes clear that he’s going to remain the party’s nominee for Senate. He’ll have to run an insurgent race and bet either that the GOP establishment eventually comes back on board — or that he won’t need them in the general election any more than he needed them in the primary.

The ad itself seems like a message that Akin still has no intention of dropping out before today’s 5 PM deadline in Missouri.  It’s unclear whether Akin had the ad buys to put this on TV in the state today at all, or if that inventory is available otherwise.  It would have to go into rotation for a while before anyone could calculate the impact of Akin’s apology, and whether voters believe it to be sincere.  One thing seems sure: his mortification is sincere.

PPP polled the state in the wake of Akin’s comments, and found that … nothing much really changed:

Missouri voters strongly disagree with the comments Todd Akin made about abortion over the weekend, but it hasn’t moved the numbers a whole lot in the Senate race. Akin leads Claire McCaskill by a single point, 44-43. That’s basically identical to our last poll of the contest in late May, which found Akin ahead by a 45-44 spread.

However …

It’s not that Missouri voters are ok with or supportive of Akin’s comments. 75% of voters, including even 64% of Republicans, say they were inappropriate to only 9% who consider them to have been appropriate. 79% of voters say they disagree with what Akin said, including 65% who express ‘strong’ disagreement with him. 51% of GOP voters say they strongly disagree with him.

All of that is taking a toll on Akin’s image. Only 24% of voters have a favorable opinion of him to 58% with a negative one. He’s pretty universally disliked by Democrats (3/85) and independents (21/61) and even with Republicans (43/34) he’s on only narrowly positive ground.

There’s another problem with this poll for Akin, one we don’t usually see from PPP — they significantly oversampled Republicans.  The D/R/I on this survey is R+9 at 30/39/32, but even the GOP-sweep 2010 election had exit polls for Missouri showing an R+3 advantage, 34/37/28. I’m not sure I’d trust that one-point margin lead in this poll.

In this instance, I’d be more concerned about the deeply negative rating Akin gets at the moment and the angry reaction from voters to his comments, which also shows up in a Survey USA poll.  A solid majority believe that Akin didn’t misspeak in his interview but said what he truly believes (55/32), which makes it more difficult to sell an apology after the fact.  Almost the same percentage (54/34) want Akin to withdraw; that’s a minority opinion among Republicans, although significant at 33/52, but 58% of independents want Akin out of the race, and majorities of both men and women agree.

While this ad strongly suggests that Akin doesn’t have an exit strategy in mind, the day is still long.  I would be slightly surprised if Akin remained in the race by 5 pm CT today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thankfully the convention will overshadow this nonsense a week from now even if Achin’ doesn’t drop out. But I agree it’s an annoying distraction for the time being.

Doughboy on August 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I wish you were right, but our opponents are using this situation to smear Paul Ryan they just may succeed putting doubt into the minds of swing voters. Meanwhile this moron has tainted the GOP once again, allowing the Left to portray us as extremists.

Buy Danish on August 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Let me be clear: it’s not plausible that a hardcore SoCon like Akin has never addressed this issue before or that if he did, he didn’t address it in a different way

Anyone stupid enough to believe in that is probably stupid enough to believe raped women have ways to shut that whole thing down – if it’s a legitimate rape, of course.

[joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM]

In other words, “I have no evidence. But I am a statistical and philosophical genius and you must recognize my absolute authority on this.”

Dusty on August 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Akin is trampling the entire GOP run-up to the Convention and hurting Romney-Ryan – including any needed bounce. He must leave today.

matthew8787 on August 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Yep. Eventually the national furor will die down, especially as we get to the conventions and debates, but in MO it probably won’t.

changer1701 on August 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

You’re forgiven.

Now…GET OUT.

ConservativeLA on August 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

If Akin stays and we end up losing this seat – that would be a safe seat with a generic R running – it’ll be the 6th senate seat we give away :

The crazies with too much craziness to step down:
- Angle
- Buck
- O’Donnell
- Akin (?)

The corrupts with too much pride to step down:
- Ted Stevens
- Conrad Burns

Add George Allen’s macaca episode and those are SEVEN safe GOP seats that the Democrats would have no business having if it wasn’t for sheer stupidity on our side.

We could be on the verge of getting the 60th vote to repeal Obamacare. We’re probably going to be stuck with Reid as the majority leader instead. Depressing.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Guy needs to drop out. And the poll…we finally get a poll that has R+9 and the positive R numbers just happen to ENCOURAGE a liability to stay in the race…shocking I say.

FreeManOtis on August 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

i dont wish GOP to commit suicide, but i do like the political drama…
honestly, either he goes or stays, the damage is done.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Nice try, but no.

If he goes today, only the Desperate Dems will be honkin’ this horn in a week or so. And sooner than they realize, they’ll look like the petty little backbenchers they usually are.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Gov. Huckabee obviously means a great deal to this gentleman and gave him a chance to clarify on his radio show, right? Time for Gov. Huckabee to be a good friend and pastor and encourage Mr. Akin to walk away.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

The principle of state sovereignty. How easily we forget when our panties become wet. We are trying to influence a state race through national opinion. If I were Mr. Akin the only interests I would concern myself with in deciding whether or not to stay in the race would be the interests of Missourians.

NotCoach on August 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Abortion is a federal issue because of Roe v. Wade. We ultimately need senators who will approve SCOTUS nominees that will recognize the inherent wrongness of the Roe v. Wade decision. Get rid of Roe v. Wade, and we get rid of abortion as a federal policy issue.

NotCoach on August 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM

So we should back out and leave it as a state issue because it doesn’t affect any Federal issues, and we need him as a Senator on a national level to affect Federal issues.

Well, ok then. Are you sure about that?

I’m not sure your logic is really all that bulletproof here.

gekkobear on August 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Please, you must be new here. I’ve been blaming them for stuff like this since ever and I’m not particularly fearful of losing. The truth is that having to deal with the crazy is a constant headache.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I am somewhat sympathetic to your position in this case, but making things up about Akin does nothing to help your case against him.

Doomberg on August 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

You think George Allen is going to lose to Kain? Over an incident that happened in a past campaign?

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Vince on August 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM
kingsjester on August 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM
What I said to NotCoach can be applied to you too. Crazy people like you are the reason the rest of us have to deal with stuff like this.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

…Wow!
It’s
getting
a
little
crazy
in
here!

KOOLAID2 on August 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

You’re right – there was outrage. But he was re-elected anyway so I’m not convinced there were any “dire consequences”. Not convinced it had much bearing on the insufferable Al Gore. Indeed, Clinton’s example just demonstrates how little it matters when it comes to elections with so much at stake.

Buy Danish on August 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Re-elected? Clinton was impeached in his 2nd term. Al Gore was forced to distance himself from the guy(remember how Gore refused to appear with him on the campaign trail?) and that allowed Bush to run on a platform of uniting Washington and restoring dignity to the Oval Office, even if he didn’t expressly use those terms.

Doughboy on August 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Yes! And a gigantic bat with which to hit the next Dem who performs a doozy.

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

KOOLAID2 on August 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Gee, DiNozzo. Ya think? :)

kingsjester on August 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

GTFO! Seriously, are we going to waste another day with this?

ronsfi on August 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I know just about everyone around here disagrees with my position on Akin, but I also know they are honest about their views. I can’t say the same thing about this creature.

NotCoach on August 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Because you’re still butthurt I was right about how this would develop, Mr. “Tomorrow nobody will care, you’re hysterical if you think he should withdraw, this is small potatoes”.

Plus, because I fully understand that Akin is merely a symptom: the cause of the problem, the root of this disease, are people like you and the other crazies here that think a complete nutjobs like Akin – who still can’t get what the problem is, as this apology video shows – is fit for the Senate just because he talks a lot about God and you really like that. Akin is just (another) unfortunate episode.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

You’re right – there was outrage. But he was re-elected …

Buy Danish on August 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM

The Lewinsky scandal and Clinton’s impeachment came after he was reelected.

Resist We Much on August 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Nice try, but no.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM

if he goes, they will still be honkin this horn the same way and associating all the GOP’rs they can to the disgraced Akin.

damage is done and the playbook for the next few days is already written.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

No, the point is that he lost that seat in 2012.

But he may very well lose this year – and the only reason it’s competitive it’s because of the macaca episode. If it wasn’t for that, he’d be re-elected in 2006 by at least 15 points and this year by a similar margin.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Doughboy on August 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I hope so but I doubt it. Just type Akin Ryan into a search. Unfortunately there are pics of them together, legislature they worked on together, and already the Left is tying them together.
I don’t care about Akin or eve Missouri, no offense I’m trying to get rid of Sherrod Brown so I’m preoccupied.
I do however care about Ryan and our chances to defeat Obama. And if Akin does anything even remotely to affect that he’s dead to me. He needs to think about the bigger picture instead of his own little corner of the world. I hope he does.

Deanna on August 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Not being real hip on MO’s political scene, is there someone who can step in and have a decent chance at beating McCaskill if he does finally resign?

Minnfidel on August 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

damage is done and the playbook for the next few days is already written.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Once he goes, it’ll take a couple of days till Akin fatigue sets in.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

GTFO! Seriously, are we going to waste another day with this?

ronsfi on August 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

lol! yes! the GOP leadership decided to hype this affair so that they could force him Akin out. I question the wisdom of the strategy.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

NotCoach on August 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Fine but when that $7M in national money dries up, Mr. Akin’s chances are next to nil.

Happy Nomad on August 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Well, ok then. Are you sure about that?

I’m not sure your logic is really all that bulletproof here.

gekkobear on August 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM

He is running to represent Missourians on the federal stage, but no one but Missourians get to decide his political fate. We don’t need carpetbaggers here in Michigan trying to dictate our political choices for us, and I am sure Missourians feel the same way about their own state.

It would be nice if every leftist in Congress retired today, but I am not going to demand their resignation over the wishes of the imbeciles they represent.

NotCoach on August 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

No, the point is that he lost that seat in 2012. 2006
joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Fixed.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Unlike democrats we republicans eat our own, especially if they’re outside the party establishment.

bgibbs1000 on August 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Whoopie ‘rape-rape’ Goldberg says, “Run, Todd, run!”

locomotivebreath1901 on August 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM

The other bad thing about this is that Charles Jaco’s career gets new life.

He was a reporter who covered the Gulf War and won some awards for that and was hired at CNN. His career has been in a slow decline since then and tried to revive it by slandering the TEA party here in Missouri.

He’s a liberal hack who now has new life. Hopefully he’ll be lured away by another news organization and he’ll move out of St Louis.

Vince on August 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Whats worse making ignorant statements about abortion and the science oif pregnancy or tell black people that republicans are gonna put them all back in chains?
If I were Akin thats the commerical I would run. I would say I am really sorry about my incredibly stupid and insensitive remarks. However my remarks were nowhere close to as stupid or insenstive as the prejudiced remarks of our Vice President.

paulsur on August 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

This would have bigger proportions if the GOP leadership had stayed quiet. You’d be seeing ads on national tv about it. It’s amazing some of you thought and still think this could have been overcome. Welcome to 2012.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

There certainly is something unfortunate around here.

NotCoach on August 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Minnfidel on August 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Akin would probably beat her.

Vince on August 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

damage is done and the playbook for the next few days is already written.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Oh, so you’ve reverted to the “next few days”, huh? LOL Doesn’t take much for you to start backpedaling…

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM

The other bad thing about this is that Charles Jaco’s career gets new life.

Vince on August 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Akin has a golden touch.

the_nile on August 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Once he goes, it’ll take a couple of days till Akin fatigue sets in.

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

when did this start? 2 days ago? if he leaves today, give 2 more days to settle down…
so, minimum 5 days of distraction are already lost helping dems narrative.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Do remember that Akin is one of the old line conservatives within the GOP, and is someone who has been in politics a long time.

That is why he got opposition and a multi-way race with the Tea Party and small government types splitting up who they backed. So if you put out the ‘I am not a witch’ attack, then it is not aimed at a Tea Party member but a GOP old line conservative. The Tea Party, with Sarah Steelman, put up a very good candidate and other small government people got behind Brunner… Tea Party members and small government issue organizations will have their differences, of course, but in tight races it might be of some help if there was outreach amongst these groups to discuss with the candidates if there can be a consensus opposition that the candidates can get behind and solidly back against the Establishment GOP.

This is a lesson in politics to small government backers that, amongst yourselves, it is good to get someone you can all basically agree upon rather than split votes and let the Establishment push someone barely ahead. Getting basic agreement from one (or both) candidates on essential topics and policy is necessary to keep the fossils from getting back into office. Only in races with true and steep disagreements does a multi-way help the small government cause by teasing out just what those differences are.

In 2010 one could scoff at ‘I am not a witch’ and those air-head Tea Partiers… in 2012 this is an Establishment airhead, not a Tea Party or small government backed candidate but one who has served in politics for nearly two decades State, local and federal offices. There is a high degree of political maturation going on in small government organizations, which can get you clunkers as candidates… but this is not one of those times and is just the opposite where the only difference in victory is organization: don’t make it about personality but about policy. If you get pulled into the personality squabble, then the problems we now have will continue.

Todd Akinn has problems, yes. The Establishment has problems in that it allowed someone with so few skills, so little grasp of topics to get this far in the party. That is the true problem in the Republican Party and it must be stopped by Party members changing the structure of the Party, itself, to reflect the beliefs and policies that members support… not individuals who punch tickets as part of an apparatchik elite.

ajacksonian on August 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM

backpedaling on what?

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

NotCoach on August 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

True that. We have plenty of local imbeciles to deal with right here in Michigan, don’t we? Remember Stupak? *groan*

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

backpedaling on what?

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

On your earlier predictions of Sure Doom for the Republicans.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM

joana on August 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM

dems will do those ads either he leaves or stays. most of the damage is done.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Remember Stupak? *groan*

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Unfortunately.

NotCoach on August 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Doughboy on August 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Clinton was elected despite Gennifer Flowers allegations and was re-elected after Paula Jones’ allegations. His reputation as a philanderer did nothing to lessen his popularity among Democrats and Independents who love him (and Hilary) to this day.

Al Gore had nothing in his past (then at least) which made him personally vulnerable for personal peccadilloes. Not that it would have mattered. We all know Republicans have to meet different standards than Democrats. I think Gore lost because he’s blowhard and a jackass and Bush was more likeable and had “gravitas” (and he got the base out).

Buy Danish on August 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Man, this is infuriating. It’s been a very long four years. Remember how we all felt when Nancy Pelosi walked through the crowd with that huge gavel and her smug grin. Or remember how we felt when John Roberts stabbed us in the back. Or thousands of other things, large and small.

And we finally get to a point where we can possibly regain power and undo the damage. Missouri was going to be a sure win. Romney and Ryan had really started gaining traction on Medicare. Then this bozo shows up, knocks us totally off message and jeopardizes everything.

Please, Akin, get the hell out. I also have daughters (three of them) who I don’t want growing up under Obamacare and massive debt. Get out now.

JohnInCA on August 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Did y’all see the headlines? Akin is in hiding and the national GOP folks sent to reason with him, can’t find him. Supposedly he is running with this heavily Republican skewed poll to point out that he can win.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

On your earlier predictions of Sure Doom for the Republicans.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM

doom? I said that this affair was damaging reenforcing dem narrative and the news cycle was lost in repub economy attacks. how many % points will it cost countrywide in november, probably little.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The corrupts with too much pride to step down:
- Ted Stevens

Not a Stevens fan, but you might wish to educate yourself on the Stevens’ matter. But for a politically-timed indictment, he would have been reelected. The entire indictment was dismissed, with prejudice, before sentencing after a DOJ probe revealed gross prosecutorial misconduct. As has been demonstrated in the years since, the prosecution unethically, if not criminally, in its prosecution and persecution of Ted Stevens.

On April 7, 2009 federal judge Sullivan formally accepted Holder’s motion to set aside the verdict and throw out the indictment, declaring “There was never a judgment of conviction in this case. The jury’s verdict is being set aside and has no legal effect,” and calling it the worst case of prosecutorial misconduct he’d ever seen.

In 2012, the Special Counsel report on the case was released. It said:

“The investigation and prosecution of U.S. Senator Ted Stevens were permeated by the systematic concealment of significant exculpatory evidence which would have independently corroborated Senator Stevens’s defense and his testimony, and seriously damaged the testimony and credibility of the government’s key witness.”

— Special Counsel Report

Upon the release of the Special Counsel report, the Stevens defense team released an analysis of its own which stated:

“The meticulous detail paints a picture of the government’s shocking conduct in which prosecutors repeatedly ignored the law. The Report shows how prosecutors abandoned their oath of office and the ethical standards of their profession. They abandoned all decency and sound judgment when they indicted and prosecuted an 84-year old man who served his country in World War II combat, and who served with distinction for 40 years in the U.S. Senate.”

A statement issued by Stevens’ widow, Catherine, said:

“I can say that the Stevens family continues to be shocked by the depth and breadth of the government’s misconduct.”

The corrupt people were in the Department of Justice, who prosecuted Ted Stevens while sitting on exculpatory evidence that they were required under Brady to turn over to the defence. The nature of the evidence was so devastating to the Federal government that few think that there would ever have been a conviction had it been given to the defence.

You should also be aware that Stevens was indicted at the end of July, 2008. He asserted his right to a speedy trial and was found guilty days before the 2008 election. If the government had not been corrupt, instead of a narrow loss, he would have easily won reelection.

Resist We Much on August 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM

most of the damage is done.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM

If he resigns–and maybe even if he doesn’t–the election is light years away in political time. Anyone who follows politics even recreationally knows that.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

If the republicans would attack the comments made by Obama and the DNC with this much vigor, we could easily win this election. You have the Dems running around saying that the republicans are intentionally trying to kill people by getting rid of Obamacare and by poisoning the air with toxins. Other than a few general comments in the media, where’s the outrage?
I just love when my fellow Americans get socially outraged. The crime rate in this country is horrible. Every day you read about another murder, or rape, or pedophile being arrested. People generally shake their heads and remark about how terrible it is. What gets them truly outraged is the lone comments by a man who they probably never even heard of before.
A lot of comments on here about how we need to get rid of Todd Akin so he doesn’t bring the rest of the party down. Really? Is that your only concern? If you are morally outraged, I can see that. If it is just so this doesn’t reflect badly on republicans then we are no better than the democrats who’s only concern is being reelected. When we abandon our principals for the sake of expediency, we soon discover we have no principals at all.

bandutski on August 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Someone upthread called the State Rep. office in MO and the receptionist reported that Akin was in meetings with DC bigwigs already. FWIW…???

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Akin’s newest failing exposed by this ad is desperation. Desperation to save his failed campaign. When everyone across the GOP spectrum has turned against him and has made it clear that he is a liability to all of us he still tries to cling on. He is not on any mission from God. He is consumed with himself.

scrubjay on August 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I hope the story in the headlines is wrong and the MO receptionist is on the money.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Is someone like Joana on that Committee? That could explain why he’s running away.

kingsjester on August 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM

When pretty much everyone thinks you’re a douchebag that might be a sign that it’s time to move on. So think of the nation and your children, Akin, and do the right thing.

Bishop on August 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I agree.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Let up hope this is right and Mark Halperin is wrong. Wouldn’t be the first TIME.

Buy Danish on August 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I’m not sure he’s going anywhere. PPP is not the only poll that shows him still ahead. If I were the Republican leadership I would be very worried that he stays in and ultimately wins. What reason does he have to be loyal to the party now?

senor on August 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Thanks, Todd Akin! Are you some kind of Democrat party plant? You WERE the Democrat-funded candidate during the primary, after all.

bluegill on August 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM

How much of the money for this failtastic ad came from McCaskill?

Sekhmet on August 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Dont know , she’s sending blank checks…

the_nile on August 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

And this should tell you something too. It’s a more than perfect bludgeon that Akin himself provided. I seem to remember someone on one of the previous Akin threads saying that the Dems knew he had foot-in-mouth disease and it was only a matter of time before it showed up. Why else would the Dems support him? They likely knew he’d make a mess of things and thus create better conditions for McCaskill.

But he “succeeded” beyond their wildest dreams. Now McCaskill and the Dems can not only excoriate him for his misstatement and faux apology, but tie it to Ryan, especially, Romney and the GOP any way they can, which they’re already doing. And that is infinitely worse than Akin’s total ignorance of biology.

PatriotGal2257 on August 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

bandutski on August 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I agree with your point about the equal vigor need for Democrat gaffes. I don’t much care about the party but in terms of numbers we need the Republicans to take the Senate. It’s goes a long way to help turning back the Obama years and is strategic not emotional. It’s not like it is a sure thing with some of the Republican currently “serving”.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM

bandutski on August 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

In an ideal world, upstanding principles win the day. But we don’t live in an ideal world; we live in THIS world.

In this world Republican politicians cannot afford to utter the boneheaded things Akin uttered. We can weep, wail and moan about that, but it’s not going to change anything. The best we can do is minimize the damage. In this case, that means Akins must go.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM

ajacksonian on August 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM

In Akin’s case, his career has been rather quiet. He was a lot more conservative than many members of the US Congress and on the state level, reflected the people he represented.

No one thought that he would win the nomination but his political experience and his organization won out. His base of support in the St Louis area and in Southwest Missouri really turned out for him. Brunner should have worked the Southwest part of the state but thought he would win St Louis and Kansas City and that would be enough.

Rural voters across the state knew Akin but not Brunner and Palin helped split the vote amoung Steelman and Brunner.

There was also the matter of name recognition. Missourians are conservative but are low information voters in rural areas.

Vince on August 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM

kingsjester on August 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM

She’s on my detour list. No need to speculate when we have an “insider” on the job.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I hope so, but there are conflicting reports. Some are saying Achin’ is nowhere to be found and I think it’s been confirmed that people are getting no response or even voicemail from his Congressional office.

Doughboy on August 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

A 3rd candidate would work. Momentum would build to support the alternative candidate, and Akin’s numbers would steadily drop over a period of weeks until Akin would in effect be marginalized with near zero. Repubs would then unite around the 3rd candidate. Go for it right away!

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM

and the War on Women..(Werner)…….Continues…….

FlaMurph on August 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Lsm sure not happy with mitts response natch

cmsinaz on August 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Buy Danish on August 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM

That was mee – I asked her why they did not bring in heavy hitters to physcially confront him and she said “You did not hear this from me, but I think that is what is happening today…” She was hopeful. They are VERY VERY upset about all of this…

djl130 on August 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

If he stays on the damage has already been done. The majority of Republican leaders have told him to step down. If he doesn’t they are going to make it look like we are all in disarray. In this case we are.This race is more than just Statewide, it’s now National. This is truly a hot mess…

sandee on August 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

djl130 on August 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Okay, cool. But didn’t she say that they were already meeting with him? That’s the way I read it. Correct me if I’m wrong..

(And that would have been early this morning CST)

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM

He’s toast. Next please.

Of course, if he doesn’t get out, we’ll know about his character anyway.

Pablo Snooze on August 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM

This is not going to die down so don’t believe it for a second. Did “You didn’t build that die down”? The Dems will use this all the way to election day and to believe it will die down is the very definition of naivety. AND his name will be tied to Ryan, which will impact the ticket itself. Don’t delude yourselves. This “war on women” meme is powerful and here to stay if Akin stays in, and it won’t be relegated to a single state – this will stay national all the way to election day. Count on it.

gmerits on August 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I just tried calling the MOGOP offices (573-636-3146) but kept getting a busy signal or a message about high call volume.

Hopefully that’s a good sign?

steebo77 on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hopefully that’s a good sign?

steebo77 on August 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

It has been like that since early yesterday morning …

djl130 on August 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Mr. and Mrs. Akin: I have never seen a more selfish, pig-headed and vindictive refusal to do what is right for your nation in my life. Your blunder was self-inflicted. Assume responsibility, please.

It is obvious that you care more about yourself than my children’s well-being and freedom.

matthew8787 on August 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

(And that would have been early this morning CST)

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM

She said it like she had heard this was in the works… No names. Just “Big Wigs.”

djl130 on August 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Doesn’t this require a write-in, which is enormously expensive and difficult?

I cannot believe what a selfish pig this guy is.

matthew8787 on August 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

gmerits on August 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM

naa, the war on women meme, started with santorum and it lived on because he had a national megaphone and was representative of a section of the republican electorate. it will take a lot mere effort on the dems to keep this issue alive for more than a week after the whole GOP party already renegaded on Akin.

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Another example of how social conservatives are bringing down the GOP. This assclown figures he can win by getting just enough social conservative to still vote for him. Which is he bascically builds his own little party within the GOP. That fracture is what will eventually stop the GOP from ever winning again.

Robb on August 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The GOP should formally endorse the next runner up as an independent.

CatoRenasci on August 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

djl130 on August 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Well, crud. Mabye then Halperin was right. Maybe Akin knows what’s coming and is on the run…or in hiding…

But man, what an idiot he is if he’s running from his own party. Yikes.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Another sad headline, Akin has made a big ad purchase for after today.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Robb on August 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

No, people like you constantly blaming everything bad that happens to the GOP on social conservatives are what will bring your party down, Robb.

hawkdriver on August 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Akin is already hurting the run-up to the convention and the Romney-Ryan bounce.

Doesn’t it speak volumes to the pro-life people that Claire and Planned Parenthood want him to stay in?

matthew8787 on August 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Robb on August 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

the social con armada will hit hard for this in 3,2,1…

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

He won’t step down. Total ego and selfishness to the bitter end: that’s the nature of our political character today. And as for the religious component — ever notice the total absence of selfless Christian humility by those who peddle their Christianity? No, his political ambition has now become “providential.” Beautiful.

F*ck you, Akin. But we probably deserve you, too. Just like we deserved Obama. This is modern America — pathological mendacity, corruption, ego and stupidity across the board.

rrpjr on August 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I see the vampire has emerged from its coffin. Just remember: Garlic isn’t needed on the Internet. Ignoring it will make it go away.

Anyway, Akin should step down ASAP. Unbelievable that he hasn’t done so.

McDuck on August 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Here’s the phone number for Akin’s DC office:

(202) 225-2561

His St. Louis office:

(314) 590-0029
(866) 236-3392

His St. Charles office:

(636) 949-6826

steebo77 on August 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

hawkdriver on August 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

liftoff!

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

If Huckabee can’t get Akin to go gently into that good night, who can? Isn’t Huck an ordained Baptist minister? Akin has a Masters in Divinity. Devine isn’t it? Akin is too delusional and too filled with self-righteousness to step down.

As many have said, the damage is done. The MSM will forever tie Ryan to Akin on the definition of what constitues rape. It took all the positives from last week of R&R’s moving up in the polls and cast them in the toilet and got the focus off of Biden. Akin is a freakin’ train wreck. And, if he doesn’t toss in the towel by 5 p.m. he becomes an albatross around the neck of the Pubbies just in time to spoil the convention.

Bob in VA on August 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

nathor on August 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

So says the atheist Paulian.

kingsjester on August 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Will someone in the Missouri GOP go tell this guy that he is done!!! How selfish and obtuse is Akin??? Even if he is truly sorry it is too late…..the democrats will use what he said in ads to hammer him…over and over…no way to overcome that!!

Please, MOGOP…appoint a competent woman to run against McCaskill and sweep her out of office!!!

azconservativegirl on August 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Vince on August 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Robb on August 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

He had a lot of Democrat help. $1.5 million worth:

Carlos C on August 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Well, if we’re to believe the headlines posted above, they can’t reason with the guy and now he’s not even in communication with them.
How immature is that?!

Murf76 on August 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Remember when the Left did not care about the real rapes of women at Occupy camps? Just saying.

Blue Collar Todd on August 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

No one’s answering the phones at any of his offices.

If he’s already hiding in a bunker, how does he expect to even put on a campaign?

steebo77 on August 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Gee, DiNozzo. Ya think? :)

kingsjester on August 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM

…when EVERYBODY is crazy BUT HER!….hey!…I got no questions!

KOOLAID2 on August 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Dump that jerk before he does it again.

rplat on August 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Robb on August 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

What makes you different from the Democrats wanting to run Chic-Fil-A out of business? Freedom of Speech is for EVERYONE and you don’t get to decide who has to stop talking. No social conservative has told you to shut up or ship out of the party. You might want to rethink your party affiliation to one with a more lock step monolithic flavor.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM