Ryan: I’m pretty happy clinging to my guns and religion, thanks

posted at 6:41 pm on August 21, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I don’t think I’ll ever tire of being reminded of then-candidate Obama’s exquisitely revealing moment of behind-the-scenes honesty when discussing the political motivations of rural Pennsylvanians and midwesterners, etcetera back in 2008. “You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them… And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.” Why, yes, I do actually choose to put my faith in things other than the largesse of the federal government — and I’m damn proud of it, thank you very much.

Paul Ryan brought back that rallying cry at a campaign event in Pennsylvania today, inciting cheers from the large assembly:

In remarks at a steel company in this borough southwest of Pittsburgh, Ryan reminded the audience of more than 1,000 of the 2008 Obama statement, then used his own resume as a counter-example.

“Hey, I’m a Catholic deer-hunter. I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion,” Ryan said to huge cheers and applause.

So classic — it warms my heart. With the help of moments like these, as Fred Barnes opined in today’s WSJ, I think Ryan’s entrance into the race is helping Romney’s campaign to strike just the right tone — he’s brilliant yet approachable, and is helping to make this race more about a fundamental battle to determine the role of government in our lives than any other single issue.

The Ryan Effect turned the race upside down. The thrust of Mr. Obama’s bid for re-election had been maligning Mr. Romney and pandering to Democratic interest groups. Mr. Romney was concentrating on attacking Mr. Obama for the subpar economic recovery and weak job growth.

The economy remains a central issue, as do Mr. Obama’s overall record and Mr. Romney’s past one. But now the looming fiscal crisis, Medicare, and the size and role of government are front and center of the campaign. The presidential contest has been elevated into a clash of big ideas and fundamental differences. Neither presidential candidate, but especially Mr. Obama, could have imagined this. Credit Mr. Ryan. …

What particularly upsets opponents is Mr. Ryan’s image. “The disarming thing is his sense of mission is greater than his sense of ambition,” says Ryan adviser David Smick, a Washington economic consultant. “This is disconcerting to his critics.”

Comments

And we peons are quite grateful that you do, Mr. Ryan.

platypus on August 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Erika you hit the nail on the head of it. Faith in something other than the largesse of the Government.

I think thats the crux of why You Didn’t Build That is so offensive. From a religious point of view a person does build something, by the grace of God. Not by the grace of Barack.

The man really does think he is God and he tells us over and over again.

CorporatePiggy on August 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Hey anyone following this hit piece on Ryan ?
Via Drudge

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Too bad McCain couldn’t have fought half as hard as Ryan already has.

CW on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Ryan, guns and religion, I like it. The Akinfest was getting boring.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Today, behind his state there was a big banner “Yes, you built that”.

Obama so hates him.

Schadenfreude on August 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Sorry, s/b “behind his stage”.

Schadenfreude on August 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I say good for him. I was workin’ on countries of the world ’til I got caught.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

What is their point? That he’s not a racist?

Schadenfreude on August 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Mr. Ryan,

Please “write” a memoir about imaginary wrongs injustices and brilliant observations by marxists, anarchists and race baiting mentors and you’d be a great president also.

It might also help if you dad was a wandering sperm donor and you mom street ho. You also might do better if you have spent most of your youth smoking dope and hanging out in national parks and muslim hate schools in a foreign country.

It might also help if you were married to a nasty hateful women who spends millions and millions of tax payer dollars flying your family and their closest 500 friends around the world.

Finally and most importantly it might help if you alienated every single member of congress except for a few botox, punch drunk buffoons that could never make a living in the real world.

I know the bar is set real high right now but go for it in 2016.

acyl72 on August 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Good. Let this be the start of getting back on track.

JimLennon on August 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Hey anyone following this hit piece on Ryan ?
Via Drudge

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Its damned if you do damned if you don’t.

CW on August 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Good for him. That’s one of the ways to get to through some of the hereditary union democrat voting block thought processes. The media gave Obama a pass on that in 2008, McCain gave Obama a pass on that comment in 2008 and muzzled Palin from using it. Thus, it’s still sealed in its freshness wrapper and will be good for a while.

AZfederalist on August 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Its damned fun if you do damned if you don’t.

CW on August 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It needed that. Variety, spice, wild oats and all that jazz.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Yay! Something positive. I’ve been distracted by something I have no control over.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Summary: Just because he had a black girlfriend, don’t think that Paul Ryan might not still be racist. Remember, Lou Dobbs is married to a Mexican-American woman, and look how racist he is toward Latinos. Racist people are usually able to make distinctions between the black people they know, who “aren’t like all those other black people”.

You know, just like how Obama isn’t like all those other black political candidates, what with him being good-looking, and clean, and articulate. Right, Joe?

JimLennon on August 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

What is their point? That he’s not a racist?

Schadenfreude on August 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Its about him not supporting further socialism.

CW on August 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM

“You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and…the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them”

There is now. It’s called fracking and the Democrats want to kill it.

forest on August 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Good. Let this be the start of getting back on track.

JimLennon on August 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Here. Let me help.

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM

From that Root.com site:

The Root) — So far we know this about Rep. Paul Ryan: He is a congressman representing Wisconsin, he’s a budget hawk and he is now the soon-to-be Republican vice presidential nominee. We also know that he has no problem attacking President Obama. (His remarks on Saturday included the quip (which I’m paraphrasing), “I have good news and bad news. The bad news? Barack Obama is president. The good news? He won’t be in November.”)

Oh.My.God.

CW on August 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Hey anyone following this hit piece on Ryan ?
Via Drudge

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

How very Jeffersonian of him.

LOL!

turfmann on August 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Fair enough. You ladies deserve your turn in 2012, we had our turn in 2008. :-)

AZfederalist on August 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Yep – something to talk about that doesn’t make me want to throw up.

Besides Joe Biden is going to make an idiot of himself during the convention – that’s always something to look forward to.

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

AZfederalist on August 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I would never vote for someone based on appearance, but you have to admit it doesn’t hurt when they’re easy on the eyes along with a great brain. ;)

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

So classic — it warms my heart.

ditto :)

cmsinaz on August 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Catholic deer hunter to Reagan Democrats:

“Hello, there! Are you better off than you were four years ago?”

Wethal on August 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

What is their point? That he’s not a racist?

Schadenfreude on August 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

This is being played by the LSM to get those racist Republicans to abandon the ticket.

honsy on August 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Hey anyone following this hit piece on Ryan ?
Via Drudge

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

So, what are these idiots trying to suggest? When he was seeing his black girlfriend he “put her in chains” or something? Or, that the decided not to marry her because she was of color and hence he’s a racist?

Or, are they bringing it up so that all us right wing, red neck racists out here who cling to our guns and our religion are going to hold his cavorting with … “one of them” … against him? If this it, hate to tell them that conservatives, even of the red neck variety, don’t give a damn about such crap. That was over long ago.

What fools.

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Be still my heart

txmomof6 on August 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

What fools.

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Let’s not be too hasty here. The girls here say Ryan is a hunk. It would seem to imply that he would attract a super babe.

This needs to have enough traction for pics of the couple to turn up.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I hope you’re right, but I’m thinking Joe will be on a leash so short that his front paws won’t touch the ground.

trubble on August 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Thanks for the link, steebo77. The last two paragraphs offer a nice qualitative summary of what the poll might mean (emphasis mine):

“The data prompts further study by the Obama team, Democratic Party and related supporters into the declining support for the President in what was a safe state for him,” stated Attorney Tarek Baydoun, statistical analyst for Foster McCollum White Baydoun. “In a state with a significant senior citizen voting population, the overall support for Congressman Ryan’s budget plan must be very troubling for the President and his team.

Additionally, the polling data suggests a dip in interest among voters in Democratic leaning regions (Southeastern Michigan, the Thumb Region and Major 17 County Cluster) Congressional Districts (5th, 13th and 14th) and Minority voters. This dip in interest would not only hurt President Obama, but also Democratic down ballot candidates and ballot initiatives. President Obama and Democrats must get the interest and excitement levels up in their voting regions to counter balance Romney/Ryan, states Eric Foster, chief pollster for Foster McCollum White Baydoun. “If Mitt Romney is able to excite Republican regions of the state with Paul Ryan and increase their share of turnout to 2010 proportions, Democrats will have a difficult night across the state“.

There may be blood in the water in Michigan. Send in some sharks to investigate.

JimLennon on August 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

This needs to have enough traction for pics of the couple to turn up.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

While the Irish may not vote as a block, they are spread out throughout the 57 states. Having a son of Erin on the ticket could help swing a few states into the GOP column.

honsy on August 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

theroot.com was launched by Henry Louis Gates, who we all know was arrested in 2009 when the police acted stupidly. Kind of explains a lot.

supernova on August 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Bambi is afraid!!!

Steve Z on August 21, 2012 at 7:18 PM

What fools.

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Guess whose site theroot.com is? Professor Skip Gates…that’s right, the beer summit guy and BO’s buddy!!!!

gracie on August 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

honsy on August 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Hmmmm, other than Phil Lynott being Irish. How does the reply relate to the quote?

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It’s the little things in life that make it all worthwhile.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM

This needs to have enough traction for pics of the couple to turn up.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Well, if the gal was, say, at the Beyoncé or Rihanna level in terms of looks, RR will get even more red neck votes and probably a more of the brothers’ votes as well. That said, if her name’s released, don’t you know the media would camp out in front of her home with their satellite trucks in hopes of getting some negative quotes about Ryan. They’ll go Palin on the poor girl, for sure.

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

We can win.

rob verdi on August 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM

So, y’all, are those eyes blue? Or hazel?

Real question, I can’t tell.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

============================================================

Well Hells/Bells,,,,,,the Bitters/Clingers/Carnival Barkers,
Boot on zee Throats……

have waited over four loooooooooooooong years,for this me thinks!!

Hal E Lou Ya!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on August 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

It’s great that he’s sticking to his guns and religion. On the other hand, there is a point where an admirable quality goes too far, as with Akin. I hope we can dispel the MSM’s attempts to link Ryan with Akin, despite them having co-sponsored a bill together.
And if Ryan really did take the supremely unpopular position that abortion should not be allowed even in cases of rape or incest, he best try to walk that back as best as he can. That could really bite us in the rear.

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

So, y’all, are those eyes blue? Or hazel?

Real question, I can’t tell.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

******************** TYPICAL ******************************!

canopfor on August 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

It’s not his eyes – it’s his smile IMO

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Those eyes. *blushes*

magicbeans on August 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I’m not laughing at y’all. But it is funny.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Ryan’s?

Blue.

It’s not his eyes – it’s his smile IMO

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

It might be both, I’m not sure.

magicbeans on August 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Methinks the ladies of Hot Air are a bit in the vapors over Paulie.
;-)

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

This is great. I love this.

juliesa on August 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

So, y’all, are those eyes blue? Or hazel?

Real question, I can’t tell.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

We can’t be sure unless he takes his shirt off.
/too shallow?
::blush::

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I’m not laughing at y’all. But it is funny.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

It’s been a long time since we’ve been able to enjoy some “eye candy”. This “eye candy” comes with a bonus – he’s smart too!

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Who’s eyes? I’m talking about Biden antics.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Methinks the ladies of Hot Air are a bit in the vapors over Paulie.
;-)

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Guilty. But his brain is dang sexy too. :D

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

/too shallow?
::blush::

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Not at all.

Who’s eyes? I’m talking about Biden antics.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Then wouldn’t they be brown?

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

We can will win.

rob verdi on August 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

FIFY

BacaDog on August 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Hey anyone following this hit piece on Ryan ?
Via Drudge

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

To the racists, everything is about race.

bayview on August 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Interesting that Drudge will keep that Gates site reference up, but where did the one go about the high-level campaign Dem donating $10,000 to the GOP?

I logged on to Drudge around 6:30 or so and was scanning the headlines. That one was there, far left column, then the page refreshed and it was gone.

?????

timmytee on August 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Methinks the ladies of Hot Air are a bit in the vapors over Paulie.
;-)

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

When I see Paul Ryan I think, there’s a good looking, smart, funny and charming young man I’d like to take home

to my daughters (if they were still single).

Dahyum, I guess I really am old.

Flora Duh on August 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Slightly OT, but I looked for the most appropriate thread to post this:

Carl Cameron is on Fox saying R&R are targeting Obama for his quote “if you have a business, you didn’t build that, you had help” Only problem is, that is not what Obama say. He ACTUALLY said “if you have a business, you didn’t build that, somebody else made that happen” Cameron repeated the wrong quote twice that I saw. What a liar and a scumbag he is.

Jackalope on August 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Most importantly, I think, is that he’s believable in a way that Romney never could be (at least while continuing to defend, objectively, RomneyCare).

besser tot als rot on August 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Ryan: I’m pretty happy clinging to my guns and religion, thanks

He’s been a really good attack dog, and I hope he keeps the pressure on the Dems…but I just can’t envision this guy locking and loading an AR-15.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

anotherJoe on August 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Here’s the bill, I think:

H.R.3 – No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act

227 Co-sponsors, including Paul Ryan and Todd Akin. Oh, and also including these people:

Boren, Dan [D-OK2]
Costello, Jerry [D-IL12]
Critz, Mark [D-PA12]
Donnelly, Joe [D-IN2] (Oooh! He’s running to be my Senator!)
Holden, Tim [D-PA17]
Lipinski, Daniel [D-IL3]
McIntyre, Mike [D-NC7]
Peterson, Collin [D-MN7]
Rahall, Nick [D-WV3]
Ross, Mike [D-AR4]
Shuler, Heath [D-NC11]

11 Democrats, which I believe makes the bill technically “bi-partisan”.

I propose we go to the comments sections of websites local to these people, pose as liberals, and demand to know why they support the “Ryan-Akin Rape Bill”. Announce that this candidate doesn’t deserve the support of the voters, and that all would-be supporters of these candidates should either refuse to vote at all, or vote for an appropriate communi-er, progressive alternative.

JimLennon on August 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

If they aren’t they are missing a darn good chance.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hey anyone following this hit piece on Ryan ?
Via Drudge

burrata on August 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

That depends. Was she hot? Seriously, dumb article. I don’t think it matters in the least.

KCB on August 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM

KCB on August 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Man that’s shallow.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

It’s good that he’s saying this but this exact saying isn’t original — it was used throughout the 2008 campaign and 2010 campaign against Obama. Again, not taken anything away from him for saying it but just pointing out that he’s copying it “deservingly” is something that now hopefully will be heard loud and clear

journeymike on August 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Biden Strikes again!!
======================

August 21, 2012, 7:26 PM
Biden Compares Romney and Republicans to ‘Squealing Pigs’

Vice President Joe Biden on Tuesday said Mitt Romney and Republicans sound like “squealing pigs”
****************************************

when they complain about new rules for Wall Street.

Mr. Biden, speaking in Minneapolis, said the Obama administration and Democrats had prevented Wall Street from acting like a “casino” by pushing for new banking rules in the wake of the financial crisis.

“Over the objections, where they sound like squealing pigs, over the objections of Romney and all his allies, we passed some of the toughest Wall Street regulations in history, turning Wall Street back into the allocator of capital it always has been and no longer a casino,” Mr. Biden said. He added, “And they want to repeal it.”
(More,,,)
==========

canopfor on August 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM

The alleged intellectual is quite a plagiarist isn’t he? Stealing somebody else’s lines won’t make you any more appealing to the voters, Mr.Ryan.

promachus on August 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Oops!

August 21, 2012, 7:26 PM

Biden Compares Romney and Republicans to ‘Squealing Pigs’
*********************************************************
(More…)

canopfor on August 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Just call me mud puddle.

KCB on August 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Ryan’s?

Blue.

It’s not his eyes – it’s his smile IMO

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

It might be both, I’m not sure.

magicbeans on August 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Not to mention the arms and the general overall boy scout demeanor. And don’t forget his holding his mom’s hand as they walked up on stage. Adorable all around.

txmomof6 on August 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I’m glad some of the ladies of HA think Ryan’s a little dreamy. I hope he goes swimming at the hotel during the convention and someone gets some pics. Seriously, it could matter among the undecided voters. Ryan needs to take one for the team.

KCB on August 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

In that case, txmomof6, I think you need one more. : D

Family man, loves his wife, loves his mama, who doesn’t flip for that? Except for you, promachus.

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM

KCB on August 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

BTW, No sarc tag. I’m serious.

KCB on August 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Just call me mud puddle.

KCB on August 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Look around, you ain’t alone. All these girls in the mud…and no wrestling. Bummer.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 8:15 PM

KCB on August 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Too funny. There is an “open letter to Mrs. Ryan” to that effect on the “Hey girl” site. That he should do it for the country.

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM

RE:Biden Piggy comment!
Video:

Joe Biden Compares Republicans That Disagree With Him to ‘Squealing Pigs’

Posted on August 21, 2012 at 3:50pm

canopfor on August 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I actually had the privilege of touching him and looking into those baby blues up close!! (Don’t worry, just a handshake) (swoon) This was many years ago at the Walworth County Fair. He exuded an air of really caring about what you had to say. Very genuine and friendly! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him!!

Sasha List on August 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Thanks! Love it! and I bet plenty of senior moms throughout the midwest do too!!

txmomof6 on August 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Slightly OT, but I looked for the most appropriate thread to post this:

Jackalope on August 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Carl Cameron is a democratic and a supporter of little Bammie. Don’t anyone doubt me on this.

slickwillie2001 on August 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Ryan’s?

Blue.

It’s not his eyes – it’s his smile IMO

gophergirl on August 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

hoosiermama on August 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012

magicbeans on August 21, 2012

txmomof6 on August 21, 2012

Flora Duh on August 21, 2012

….his eyes…his smile…his arms…his chest…his demeanor….ok knock it off and quit lying like a bunch of democrats…you girls have all been looking and staring at his AZZ…and you’re being too republican about saying it!

KOOLAID2 on August 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Is this the Paul y’all are talkin bout.

News2Use on August 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

So sorry he doesn’t fit the gun nut stereotype, but most of America doesn’t give a cr@p because this election is about economics. I suggest you get the hell over it.

MelonCollie on August 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Everytime I hear Paul Ryan I have reason for hope.

Of course, being a cutie doesn’t hurt.

Conservchik on August 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM

KOOLAID2 on August 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Dangit you!

I was saving all this stuff for future reference. You went and got them feeling all guilty about their lorien tendencies. Before ALyT could chime in.

cozmo on August 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Thanks for the eye candy, Koolaid! And you’re right, I wouldn’t look away if someone happened to have a picture of his caboose! Oh YES!!!!!

Sasha List on August 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Are all the anti-Christian bigots on here attacking Ryan for his remarks?

(Sorry, I’m still pissed at the constant hate towards religious people that goes on in many of these threads.)

njrob on August 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Looks do count in a campaign, whether it’s shallow or not to think so.

Remember those pics of GW in his pilot gear standing next to his plane? He looked pretty good. The Dems were trying to suppress those pics for ages.

Of course the Dems will try to make out Ryan’s just some cheap hick who likes to pose in running gear, lipstick and high heels which make him look very attractive but there’s no substance to him . . . oh, wait.

Ozwitch on August 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Methinks the ladies of Hot Air are a bit in the vapors over Paulie.
;-)

TXUS on August 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

This is great. I love this.

juliesa on August 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I haven’t posted on Hot Air in ages, but couldn’t resist this thread.
Ryan is smart, Christian, conservative, gorgeous, and he’s on the GOP TICKET!!!

Susanboo on August 22, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Gee, guns and religion? This is not going to please those, “It’s just about jobs” folks.
Apparantly Ryan understands about freedom without which jobs are drudgery.

Don L on August 22, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Are all the anti-Christian bigots on here attacking Ryan for his remarks?

njrob on August 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Get used to it, it’s part of the GOP’s soul these days. They allow social cons in the party for votes only, much the same as the manner in which the Dems mistreat the black community until election time.

Don L on August 22, 2012 at 6:33 AM

While I don’t share either one’s religious affiliations, I appreciate the fact that both men do not believe they have the right to usurp the Deity. They worship Someone Other than themselves.

Great stuff.

Mommynator on August 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Dammit Paul … get it right. You’re from Wisconsin and you should be clinging to …

Your guns
Your religion
The Green Bay Packers
Beer

and …

… uh …

and your family, yeah … your family (but not during late November …)

PackerBronco on August 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM