Obama to upstage GOP convention by unleashing garrulous idiot on Tampa

posted at 4:01 pm on August 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

No word yet on what they have planned but, Joe being Joe, expect a press conference aimed at Cuban-Americans with Biden speaking in a fakey Latino accent. And maybe wearing a sombrero, like all the real Cubans wear.

He knows how to “connect” with blue-collar minority communities, you see. The media keeps telling me that, so it must be true.

Vice President Joe Biden will hold a rally with supporters next Monday in Tampa, on what will be the first day of the Republican convention, according to a Democratic source cited by the Washington Post.

It would be an unprecedented move for a presidential or vice presidential candidate to crash a rival convention; the parties have traditionally allowed each other to take center stage during their convention week and used the time to fundraise and rest.

The White House says he’ll be there on Tuesday too, which is plenty of time for some table-pounding about the middle class and maybe a joke or two about Indian convenience-store clerks. And yes, before you ask, there will be Republican reprisals:

“I think it’s pretty common among parties to play with each other’s conventions, and we’ll have a pretty big presence in Charlotte as well,” [RNC chief Reince] Priebus said. “The nice thing about going first is that whatever they do to us, we can do ten times over to them.”

Does that mean that Romney may counter-program the Democratic convention in Charlotte next month? Priebus replied “You never know where we are going to be.”

“I’m a big believer in: if they punch us, we put on the brass knuckles and punch back,” he added.

Who could the RNC send to Charlotte to make a big splash while the Democratic convention is going on? I’m thinking Christie: The point of counterprogramming the other party’s convention is to intrude on their week-long media monopoly, and no one would draw media like Christie in tough-guy mode on Democratic turf would. He’d be fresh off his keynote at the convention too, so if that goes well (as everyone expects it will) there’ll be even more public interest in him. Short of that, who else? Rubio, maybe? Or what about Nikki Haley? She’s from a neighboring state and would challenge the round-the-clock “war on women” crapola that Democrats are planning for their convention. And if you think I’m exaggerating that, check out who’s just been invited to speak.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I hope Biden doesn’t decide to hand out commemorative Cuban Neckties.

Bishop on August 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

The ‘cuda would put the larger crowd outside the convention hall.

wolfsDad on August 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

A curveball option for us……. Send Joe Lieberman. :)

ThePrez on August 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

..Short of that, who else? Rubio, maybe? Or what about Nikki Haley? She’s from a neighboring state and would challenge the round-the-clock “war on women” crapola that Democrats are planning for their convention. And if you think I’m exaggerating that, check out who’s just been invited to speak.

..why send anyone to Charlotte? Why not make news elsewhere in the country. Unless, of course, you want to Hoover up some of the media outside the Dem meetin’ hall.

Also, why not have Rudy Giuliani to shadow VPOTUS FLATLINE? His take down of this bubbling caldron of retard diarrhea last week was epic.

The War Planner on August 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

hope Biden doesn’t decide to hand out commemorative Cuban Neckties.

Bishop on August 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Naw, just Mao Christmas ornaments….he thinks he’s going
to Bejing…

ToddPA on August 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

But Obama said he will bring a gun to a knife fight.

itsnotaboutme on August 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Okay, I don’t understand the celebrity status of Ms. Fluke. Did she get more traction than I thought?

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Only in Democrat wish-casting minds.

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

..or see if you can engage Slow Joe in a debate with a worthy adversary — like a 3-day-old ham sammich or something.

The War Planner on August 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM

A Joe Biden press conference ?
The most misunderstood man alive?
What could go wrong??

Timing is everything.
THIS REALLY IS AWESOME GIFT TO THE RNC. Not Slo Joe…. but

These Democrites must be thanked for allowing the RNC a “wide-open” presence of at least Paul Ryan into Charlotte. And since these a-hole scumbag dems are intent on destroying any decorum of the political campaign, there is no reason then not to have Romney do a fly-in to Charlotte and steal the “open Book” President’s thunder.

Bottom line: North Carolina is much less a stonghold for Democrites, than Tampa is for Rs. And those Dem idiots can crow (exploit) latinos all they want- but Tampa is a Cuban demographic and they will enjoy having Marco Rubio offset any LIES stumblin bumblin idiot bigot moron Joe Biden can entertain them with.

Awesome.

FlaMurph on August 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

The ‘cuda would put the larger crowd outside the convention hall.

wolfsDad on August 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Yep.

Also, most of the journalists would flock to her as well.

listens2glenn on August 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

This is too good for words! Can the DNC really believe this will upstage the convention in Tampa? I see a huge backlash potential.

tomshup on August 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Hey is Uncle Joeke one of the guys Tampa police will be testing their “behavior recognition” software on to see if his registers as pathological or psycho or, uh, liberal-progressive-socialist, oh no wait, that’s the same as pathological or psycho.

stukinIL4now on August 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

“I always enjoy coming to Tulsa. I didn’t realize Oklahoma had so many palm trees.”
/Vice Preezy Biden

Bitter Clinger on August 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Palin can see NC from her Facebook page.

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

No class.

Red Cloud on August 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hat tip to Allahpundit. Love that headline!

thatsafactjack on August 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I wonder what would happen if the Tampa police told the Secret Service that there were no officers to spare for Biden – everyone was busy with GOP convention security…

Wethal on August 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Remember Cindy Sheehan? Yeah I didn’t either.
Sandra Fluke is heading to that place soon.

22044 on August 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

“I got down here to Tampa as fast as I could, like that little mouse Speedy Gonzalez who wears the sombrero and says yeee haaaaa! HAHAHAHAHA! Er….HAHAHA….hello…haha..hehe…is this mike on?”

Bishop on August 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

My goodness, AP. Is this you in a good mood or a bad one? ;)

So much snark, so little space. Well done, sir.

kim roy on August 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I love Priebus’s attitude generally but I think I’d rather see the Republicans maintain the high ground and say “the Democrats are dipping to historic lows in campaign tactics, we will not sink to their level.”

I mean really, does Biden stand much of a chance to do anything but damage his own side? I don’t see why retaliation is necessary considering the backfire potential this has for the Democrats.

LukeinNE on August 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

So the king sends the jester out to entertain the masses…

right2bright on August 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Maybe Governor Perry flanked by Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders might draw a crowd.

They’d be a lot more entertaining, easy on the eyes, and way less whiny than Fluke the uptight.

marybel on August 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM

“garrulous idiot”

Gotta say Allah, NICE TOUCH!

ToddPA on August 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM

HAHAHAAHAHHAHAHA. Go check out the comments on the Yahoo page. Sure, let the woman speak. In fact, send her and Cutter out together to shill the democrat brand.

Where did the Obama campaign pick up the tin ear? NO ONE CARES about Fluke and her “issues”. But keep up the good work. *thumb up*

kim roy on August 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM

No doubt Slow Joe Rantin’ from Scranton will get a few laughs, especially if his umbrella is turned inside out by Hurricane Isaac, which might be in the vicinity of Tampa.

If Slow Joe shows up with a Rent-A-Mob, maybe we should send Senator Marco Rubio outside for a little crowd control–after all, he does represent Florida in the Senate!

Steve Z on August 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Let Slow Joe rant and rave. The video would make for great entertainment at the R convention between the headline acts.

dentarthurdent on August 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Slojo. The gift that keeps on giving. They better up his meds that day.

Minnfidel on August 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Biden in Tampa, Fluke in Charlotte.
Trying to be cautious, but dang, I smell desparation.

JusDreamin on August 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Wrong. Counter-punch with both Palins at the NASCAR Hall Of Fame in Charlotte. Local press will go Wild, and it’ll compensate for No Palin in Tampa.

Who is John Galt on August 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Ryan and Palin should hold a rally in the 3/4 of Bank of America Stadium that the Democrats won’t be using…

kbTexan on August 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM

What Would Breitbart Do?

pecan pie on August 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Is Fox going to make Palin their DNC correspondent?

besser tot als rot on August 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

LOL, what a complete bunch of utter udder clowns. Dear God, please let us be rid of them in November.

Midas on August 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

In this particular case….

dentarthurdent on August 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Is Fox going to make Palin their DNC correspondent?

besser tot als rot on August 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

+2012…I see what you did there.

We really need nested comments, i.e. true threads here at HotGas.

Who is John Galt on August 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

the RNC should run with it, make Biden a speaker. Then follow him up with Ryan decimating everything he just said.

cameo on August 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

In the case of Joe Biden, I would think we could turn this around on them by inviting him to speak at the Republican Convention (of course, he might not accept).
There’s no way he won’t do more (unintentionally) to embarrass Democrats than hurt Republicans.

Anyone else’s thoughts on this?

listens2glenn on August 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM

send Christie, Haley, Rubio, and Artur Davis.
That should steal their thunder.

exceller on August 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I bet Charlie Crist will be happy to help the VP out.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

We really need nested comments, i.e. true threads here at HotGas.

Who is John Galt on August 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

ohhhhhhhh, that would be elegant.

RushBaby on August 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

hopefully he’ll get his head examined before he gets on any stage in Tampa…

jimver on August 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Yeah, but they’re not going to send her a swing state, though.

Allahpundit on August 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

She is a private citizen. We are allowed to go where we damned well please.

sO FAR.

katy the mean old lady on August 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I’ve heard that general sentiment expressed over and over, all my life. My response to that is “Bullfeathers!”

They count on us having that attitude so that they can pull the most outrageous stunts on us and know that we won’t do a thing about it. They slap us in the face and walk away unscathed.

If they never have any retaliation they have no incentive to change the behavior.

When I was in 8th grade, a bully made my life miserable. Everyone told me to ignore her, and she would get bored and go away. Only she didn’t. She knew she was making me miserable and she was having a good old time. Until the day I punched her in the eye.

She never touched me again. All it took was for the victim to make herself a hard target. I would like to see the Republicans make themselves hard targets for the Democrats. It might make them a little more cautious. At the very least, they’ll know that they will pay for their uncivilized behavior.

I’m tired of Democrats getting away with everything, up to and including murder. (Ted Kennedy, anyone?) It’s time we started hitting back. With brass knuckles.

hachiban on August 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Sandra Fluke is heading to that place soon.

22044 on August 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

why, do they dispense free birth control at the event? :-)…

jimver on August 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I don’t know how much more classless this guy can get. I don’t recall this ever, and I mean ever, happening. It’s customary for things to slow down for both conventions, let the candidate shine for a week and then go back full tilt, not Obama. The guy has no class.

I love what Reince Priebus (?) said, if they pull something at the Republican convention, look for something more at theirs. If Obama is smart, he’ll remember what they tried to pull in Boston, and how that worked out.

bflat879 on August 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Obiden is gonna lead the Panzies, er Panthers in a march on Selma, er Tampa!

Gonna put you all in chaaaiiinnss!

Bring it! Dumbazz!

ConcealedKerry on August 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

OBiden and the Panzies marching on Tampa,
Retired Special Opps Pacs standing guard outside the Convention Center!
Priceless!

ConcealedKerry on August 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Now that you mention it, Joe Biden does seem to be playing the role of Tim Conway on a reality show. Nancy Pelosi could be Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman could be played by Harry Reid and Obama…well, maybe Flip Wilson could be used as him with his great line about the devil: “The Bush made me do it!”

Don L on August 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I’d rather see a superpac sponsor the production of a bunch of Biden masks and clown suits. The spectators could all get the free gear and the media wouldn’t know who was who as they’d all be alike

Not-a-Marxist on August 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Send Christie, Allen West, Sarah Palin; ALL the people that REALLY get them hyper-ventilating. They could ride in on Harleys with the Patriot Guard!

michaelo on August 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I think they are hoping that by sending joe there, that he will somehow get hurt or injured enough that they have to replace him on the ticket. That is their easy way out. Oh how I wish I were there to witness the blowback of the blowhard. I sure hope no one pulls out in front of his motorcade in a tank.

j bo on August 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Finally. Signs of balls in the GOP.

Now let’s see if they deliver. Biden, whether on hand or not, should be ridiculed each and every day of the convention, and not politely jabbed either.

madmonkphotog on August 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

They probably want him to be his typical idiot self and cause an uproar to take the attention off the GOP.

TXMomof3 on August 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Maybe someone will be able to catch the Romney bus circling the Dem convention honking :)

rosewaning on August 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Send in THE DONALD!

Mallard T. Drake on August 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Watch Biden call Tampa “Tempe” and give a shout out to the Jags.

Christien on August 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Cindy Munford

Only on her trip to Italy or in her dorm room.

Gothguy on August 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Didn’t that politico article/ebook talk about what a mistake the O campaign made by sending Axeldorf to the steps of the Mass statehouse, where Romney supporters heckled him and he came across terrible?

Isn’t sending Slow Joe into the heart of GOP central doing the same exact thing?

So not only is it a bad idea, of all the people they could send, it’s Joe? Really? The walking, talking gaffe machine is who they’re going to send into the belly of the beast? I hope some GOPers are working up a strategy to goad him into another classic Bidenism.

This sounds to good to be true. Is somebody in the MSM just trying to cheer us up after all the Akin angst?

Mayday on August 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Send Slow Joe a welcome cake, Reince.

Philly on August 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Send Slow Joe a welcome cake, Reince.

How about a nice Chick-Fil-A dinner too. I’m sure the local tea party would be willing to drop it off and get a photo op with friendly old Joe. It would be the hospitable thing to do, in fact it would be rude not to give him a proper welcome.

Mayday on August 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I hope the VP goes into greater detail about the President’s “Big Stick”. Is the VP going to handle this thing personally? Biden has a soft touch with hard matters, but he may need a larger staff to do the job. How will the Big Stick policy affect foreign affairs?

theCork on August 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM

So it’s true. Joe Biden really doeswant Obama to lose the election.

RebeccaH on August 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM

You smell that? I love the smell of desperation in the morning… smells like…

victory…

Someday, this war’s gonna end…

PointnClick on August 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Palin can see NC from her Facebook page.

faraway on August 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Moron.

That was a Saturday Night parody and was never uttered by Palin.

Fail.

Tenwheeler on August 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM

A freeper commenter, Starstruck, made this observation:

Biden actually told the press he would be a “Tampax convention spokesman” and the they went with the flow.

onlineanalyst on August 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Cancel the Amber Alert, the GOP testicles have been safely located.

hillsoftx on August 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Beautiful. Very koan-like.

kekelaward on August 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM

THIS IS IMPORTANT SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
The real reason for sending this clown to Tampa

keithofboston on August 21, 2012 at 11:06 PM

This whole Biden thing has me a bit uneasy. Something is up and I can’t put my finger on it. Sending Biden makes no sense when much bigger fish are available.

Methinks something is amiss and that something could be serious.

gmerits on August 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I love this blog.

Purple Fury on August 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

“Mistrel Show Joe”!!!!!

williamg on August 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I meant:

“Minstrel Show Joe”!!!!

williamg on August 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM

We know Joe will only make a fool of himself. Who cares? Any dignity of the Office of The President of the United States went out when George W. Bush was booed by, I think it was more likely Obama staffers, at the inauguration. I watched it until Bush and Cheney left, and turned it off.

I did not want MItt as our candidate but he did make a great VP pick. I hope that they wipe Obama/Biden out the way Reagan defeated Mondale!

carolt2 on August 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I remember an event where Lt Gov Michael Steele was speaking at where people were not only verbally disruptive but they were throwing oreo cookies at him.

I’m thinking the thing to do with Fluke is just toss condoms on the stage and hold up some signs about free birth control.

joelj31 on August 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Joe, you are NOT welcome in Tampa. It is OUR party, not yours. But if you come to Tampa, please behave yourself if that is possible.

Amazingoly on August 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM

“News to me.

Allahpundit on August 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM”

Uh, no.

RCP average in this case consists of:

Civitas- couldn’t find a breakdown, but some commenter put it at D+12.

Project N. Amer- D+9

PPP- blocked from it at work, but their previous “work” would indicate they way oversampled Ds.

Rasmussen.

So at least 50%, and probably 75% of the polls “averaged” had ridicutarded sample skews in favor of the dumbocrats.

And Romney still led.

Previous commenter was correct.

GrassMudHorsey on August 22, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

It was a toss-up between Faux~cahontas and In Vitro Woman. Only Fluke’s uterus could be confirmed as real, however.

Remember, Democrats only receive celebrity status when they make up some cause that interferes with rights they don’t have and then appear on daytime TV with other lame or washed up “celebrities”.

DevilsPrinciple on August 22, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Yeah, but they’re not going to send her a swing state, though.

Allahpundit on August 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Ah. Is that why she isn’t speaking in Tampa?

/s

Seriously, she’s tailor-made for such a role, if this develops as seems likely. And, NC did go for Obama, but I think it will be quite red this time around.

Gov. Perdue is a joke. The state D party is in disarray. Just west of the convention, “blue dog” Shuler saw the writing on the wall & retired rather than running this cycle.

The convention is almost next door to NASCAR central.

If Biden does blow into Tampa, a response with Palin (and others) at Charlotte would be asymmetrical political warfare on a grand scale. Don’t think Obama & co. would know what hit them…

cs89 on August 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Need to read this.

maelstrom on August 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Absolutely. If this administration proceeds with the Biden visit, there are other things afoot than merely sending Joe to make a fool of himself. Look at the bigger picture. All who attend must not fall for any baiting, be civil and do NOT make conservatives/Republicans look bad. These people are just waiting for any excuse, what with all that ammo they’ve recently purchased…

Ms. Right on August 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Maybe the D’s are secretly hoping something will happen with the hurricane (an injury or mysterious disappearance for example) and they’ll be able to get Joe off the ticket.

talkingpoints on August 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Don’t whine just schedule a Republican rally to open the Democrat convention.

Nomas on August 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM